PDA

View Full Version : Fang Tutorial

AlbinoRina
02-16-2006, 03:43 PM
I've gotten a few qeustions on how to make decent, yet ceap(cost wise) fangs. This was written to any out there who want even the tiny details. This is the first time Iím made one, so just go easy and if you have any questions, just message me and Iíll try my best to answer them! Here we go! Please excuse the pics if they suck. All I can use at the moment is my webcam. ^_^

1) The first step is to buy an easily moldable wax. What Iíve been using for awhile is actually a candy. Itís a kind of wax bottle with juice inside. You bite off the cap and drink out the juice. If thereís a Holiday gas station near you, they should sell them there.

Individual Bottle: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1431.jpg

Package: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/waxbottles.jpg

This type of wax is REALLY easy to work with. Not to mention buying it wonít stretch your budget and you can make as many pairs as you need before you get something you like.

2) Next youíll want to take a bite out of the SIDE of an empty bottle, so you end up with a small chunk sort of shaped like a ĎDí. This small piece is what youíll be using to make the fangs. Note that if they donít turn out, just repeat the steps until you get used to how it works.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1433.jpg

3) Take the smaller piece and break it in half, so you end up with two small, hollow triangles. I suggest using your nail or a small blade to do this.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1434.jpg

4) This step is optional. I say this because Iím made fangs both using this step, and not using it and theyíve all turned out fine. Slide the hollow part of your new fang onto a toothpick and VERY quickly pass a lighter underneath it, melting the seam you made when you bit it off of the bottle. I really stress the quickly part, because if youíre not careful you could melt the wax beyond repair, start the toothpick on fire or burn yourself.

5) This next part is difficult to explain, but Iíll do my best. Now itís time for shaping your fangs! What you want to do is place your canine tooth; thatís the sharp, kind of pointy one for those that donít know, into the hollow of the wax triangle. MAKE SURE to have the seam from earlier facing the back of your canine! It makes things so much easier to
do it this way.

See? You want the rough seam to the BACK.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1435.jpg

6) After your tooth is slipped into the triangle, continue pushing the wax up with your fingers pinched in a V to keep the shade of the fang. Every so often, youíll want to pull the wax off your tooth and carefully remove the extra wax that has now stretched up over your gumline. The easiest way is to use a fingernail to cut it off.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1436.jpg

Continue doing until the wax is shaped into a fang on your tooth.

7) When the fang is in place on your tooth, VERY GENTLE bit down, making sure that the tip of your fang stays on the OUTSIDE of your teeth. Doing this shapes the back of your fang into the top of your lower canine. This allows you to easily close your mouth and talk comfortably when wearing the fangs.

8) Any more trimming and slight, but carefull reshaping can be done now so that your fangs have the look you want and are comfortable in your mouth.

WARNING: Drinking is okay when wearing the fangs but DO NOT eat with them in. The way the human jaw is when chewing will destroy the wax fangs and youíll probably end up swallowing them along with your food. Biting people is also not a good idea, considering once again the fact that these ARE wax and can be crushed with enough pressure. Donít sleep with them in either. Thatís just dumb. ^_^

I hope this helps you create your own realistic and inexpensive fangs! Like I said earlier, if you get confused on any part or need further help, donít hesitate to send me a message!

Kanaki-chan
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Yey! thank you!

Ani_BEE
04-09-2007, 05:35 PM
>_< it said Fan lol

smallrinilady
04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
aren't you scared you'll swallow it
i mean yea that wont be bad for you
but you'll be missing a tooth by then

Sol Shadow1
04-10-2007, 08:58 PM
aren't you scared you'll swallow it
i mean yea that wont be bad for you
but you'll be missing a tooth by then

lol

Vicodan
06-19-2007, 11:04 PM
I just tested this out. By my thrid pair (3rd bottle) I tried melting the fang over the flame before fitting. Worked much better that way. Only short comming I found with these dirt cheap fangs was that they don't stay on super well. Maybe some of that fang glue stuff would solve it. Looked very close to real as long as you pinch off the excess with your nail so you maintain a natural gum line. And for 63 cents including tax for 6 bottles (about 12 pair of fangs) you just can't get any cheaper.

These would be perfect for cosplay photo shoots even without any sort of glue. A++ to the OP for the post.

OMFG_its_Hanako
07-01-2007, 06:26 PM
I have a slight problem with this one. -blush- for the canine tooth thing...I kid of have more then the normal 2. I have about 6 or 8 canine-like teeth. It's rather hard to explain. You know how most people just have the normal 2 (in total) in the front well I have that yes, but I also have about 2 or 3 more behind the previous one. Would it be better just to use the first one?

lilneko06
07-17-2007, 07:28 PM
slight problem:
i have braces... so wat? i just put it on the tip then?

chris-chan
07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I have a slight problem with this one. -blush- for the canine tooth thing...I kid of have more then the normal 2. I have about 6 or 8 canine-like teeth. It's rather hard to explain. You know how most people just have the normal 2 (in total) in the front well I have that yes, but I also have about 2 or 3 more behind the previous one. Would it be better just to use the first one?

o.O thats odd. im kindave trying to figure out how this is possible. any chance you could post a pic?

and this is a really good tutorial. even though i dont need fangs for any reason, im gonna make a pair of these to wear at afo.

Hikaruhime
09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
This thead is heavenly. <3

I had some store-bought fangs for my Vampire Xemnas, and they look so fake because my teeth are nowhere near as white and shiny as the fangs. I tried this out, and they look SO much more realistic! Cost me less than a dollar and 2-3 minutes for a pair. Thanks so much for writing up this tut~!

(However, I do second the idea of getting fang glue from a Halloween store. They stay in well, but they start to get loose the more you talk.)

Punkbuster
09-30-2007, 04:56 AM

That sounds genetic. One of my teachers had an extra set of muscles in her jaw that she inherited from her mom, and it cracks their own enamel. <____<

I'd suggest doing the first set of canines. Those are the most visible ones anyway.

RoxasRoxsMySoxs
01-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Yayness! Me and my friend wanted to get a pair of fangs, and the only ones we could find were $50!! I'm gonna get these ASAP! *ish happy*

shivachan
01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
>_< it said Fan lol

I know, I was hoping this would be a fan tutorial... ^^;;; Oh well... fangs are always useful too.

Septen
06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
YAY I love this! My Kiba cosplay is completed! and it's fun to walk around in public with them in for no reason. Old people stare.

shmac
07-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Whoa, I'd totally go out and buy wax bottles just to make these for fun, but the problem is I have no canine teeth at the moment. xD Stupid periodontist. They're still in the roof of my mouth. Dx Plus the wire for my braces is right over the empty space. -_-
But anyway, thanks a lot! =D Now I'm gonna go find a cosplay I want to do *just* to have fangs. xD

Sakurai_Atsushi
09-18-2008, 03:09 AM
This is a handy tutorial =D

And wow, and extra muscle cracks the enamel o.o?

I never used to be paranoid [I had great teeth when I was younger], but then, out of nowhere, they're just weird now. I got a bunch of cavities easily, my gums seems to move a bit, so it makes my teeth feel like they move, but they don't [they aren't loose..I check them alot..]

On top of this, my mouth just feels more...shifted, I guess, since I had my wisdom teeth removed.

As for enamel, I only have one tooth with enamel that's shaved off. But that's my fault. I fell off my bike and my tooth went through my upper lip [not sure how, but there's a scar, and the tooth is still firmly there, but the enamel is shaved off...]

Wow.. sorry to get off topic.

Anyways. I love wax bottles, I think my parents mentioned possibly ordering a bag from Oriental Trading Post [it's a magazine..] So I'll try it then. If nothing else, I can use it for some Ouran Halloween cosplay. I think the cape that most of the characters used for that episode is the same as another cosplay I wanna do, so that's great =D

Spartalord66
12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I've gotten a few qeustions on how to make decent, yet ceap(cost wise) fangs. This was written to any out there who want even the tiny details. This is the first time Iím made one, so just go easy and if you have any questions, just message me and Iíll try my best to answer them! Here we go! Please excuse the pics if they suck. All I can use at the moment is my webcam. ^_^

1) The first step is to buy an easily moldable wax. What Iíve been using for awhile is actually a candy. Itís a kind of wax bottle with juice inside. You bite off the cap and drink out the juice. If thereís a Holiday gas station near you, they should sell them there.

Individual Bottle: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1431.jpg

Package: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/waxbottles.jpg

This type of wax is REALLY easy to work with. Not to mention buying it wonít stretch your budget and you can make as many pairs as you need before you get something you like.

2) Next youíll want to take a bite out of the SIDE of an empty bottle, so you end up with a small chunk sort of shaped like a ĎDí. This small piece is what youíll be using to make the fangs. Note that if they donít turn out, just repeat the steps until you get used to how it works.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1433.jpg

3) Take the smaller piece and break it in half, so you end up with two small, hollow triangles. I suggest using your nail or a small blade to do this.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1434.jpg

4) This step is optional. I say this because Iím made fangs both using this step, and not using it and theyíve all turned out fine. Slide the hollow part of your new fang onto a toothpick and VERY quickly pass a lighter underneath it, melting the seam you made when you bit it off of the bottle. I really stress the quickly part, because if youíre not careful you could melt the wax beyond repair, start the toothpick on fire or burn yourself.

5) This next part is difficult to explain, but Iíll do my best. Now itís time for shaping your fangs! What you want to do is place your canine tooth; thatís the sharp, kind of pointy one for those that donít know, into the hollow of the wax triangle. MAKE SURE to have the seam from earlier facing the back of your canine! It makes things so much easier to
do it this way.

See? You want the rough seam to the BACK.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1435.jpg

6) After your tooth is slipped into the triangle, continue pushing the wax up with your fingers pinched in a V to keep the shade of the fang. Every so often, youíll want to pull the wax off your tooth and carefully remove the extra wax that has now stretched up over your gumline. The easiest way is to use a fingernail to cut it off.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Rina_desanon/Feb1436.jpg

Continue doing until the wax is shaped into a fang on your tooth.

7) When the fang is in place on your tooth, VERY GENTLE bit down, making sure that the tip of your fang stays on the OUTSIDE of your teeth. Doing this shapes the back of your fang into the top of your lower canine. This allows you to easily close your mouth and talk comfortably when wearing the fangs.

8) Any more trimming and slight, but carefull reshaping can be done now so that your fangs have the look you want and are comfortable in your mouth.

WARNING: Drinking is okay when wearing the fangs but DO NOT eat with them in. The way the human jaw is when chewing will destroy the wax fangs and youíll probably end up swallowing them along with your food. Biting people is also not a good idea, considering once again the fact that these ARE wax and can be crushed with enough pressure. Donít sleep with them in either. Thatís just dumb. ^_^

I hope this helps you create your own realistic and inexpensive fangs! Like I said earlier, if you get confused on any part or need further help, donít hesitate to send me a message!
Thank you this was really good advice and they were really easy to make i got it perfect on the first try again thanx for the tip:)

FMABloodSeal
02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Ummm we don't have a holiday gas station around us. .-. What do we do?

Aka-x
03-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Haha, awesome!
for those of you with no holiday gas station I suggest
buying a bag of these suckers at orential trading company.
They have a ton of crap.
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=/K231&mode=Searching&erec=1&D=wax+candy&Ntt=wax+candy&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=0&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&sd=Wax+Bottles

=3

Have fun!
and don't forget to buy some fang glue at party city or any party store near you!

Ah, not to mention if you are just plain lazy and can't figure this out you can always buy party citys wax fangs too.
I think they are around twenty bucks.

kitsune shojo
04-28-2009, 12:51 PM
If you live near a Cracker Barrel, they carry them. Also the Hobby Lobby near my house carries them. (oddly enough. o_0)

I don't have canines, but I've had braces so I've got teeth in that space. XD

EmpressAkina
05-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Omg!!!!! Thanks For This!

Aesceus
08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
How do you put the fangs on if you have braces? The Bracket will be in my way, or would braces and fangs be a lost cause?

AC_Mecoiy
08-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Would this method work if you want to have a full row of fangs?

Tania_Mwpp
08-29-2009, 12:44 AM
If you have braces try this, fit the wax fang over the entire tooth, bracket wire and all (if you have wrench-lock braces this wont work) then press firmly on the bracket and wire to push/cut the wax around them so that you can see the braces. then use a toothpick (or if you have nimble fingers) and push the wax under the wire on either side of the bracket to join it to the 'bottom' of the fang. then using the toothpick poke and cut the 'top' of the fang from the top of the bracket to the end of the fang (upwards) so that you can remove it by pinching the bottom of the fang and jimmying it off around the bracket.

hope that made sense. I think I may have oddly shaped canine teeth so if this doesn't work I'm sorry, you may want to try making the fang really short at the front but longer at the back so it will sit just under the bracket.

Saru-chan
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for this tutorial! I'm trying to be Joushima Ken from Hitman Reborn, and I'm worried that store bought vampire fangs won't look the way I want. I want them to be cat or dog like, not exactly a vampire.

Thanks again! I'm gunna check CVS while I'm their looking for ACE bandages. I know they have them at a candy shop in old town though.

EDIT! They had them at CVS for 99 cents! Woo! The trouble I have is getting them shaped right, and then making them the same shape. ANd if you leave a little bit of wax on the back of the fang to hold it up, I have very little trouble keeping them in.

I also have to resist the urge to chew on the bottle after I drink it. The wax is just so fun to chew! Better than gum. xD

Also, couldn't you use dental wax? Like the ones they give you at the orthodontist? My friend made claws out fo that stuff.

City-Dreamer
07-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Hehehe. This is so great! The only problem would be how the heck they would keep their shape. T__T

KarmaxCore
07-22-2010, 11:21 AM
this is a very good idea. I wonder if it would work with making like, a set of pointed teeth for characters like Soul and Grell?

Paralife
09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Lol, can I make full shark teeth with these?
Can I also wear these over braces? <- I wonder if shark people have braces any ways o_o

Lulexiaa
09-04-2010, 01:35 AM
it looks painful.. o_o

NiwaNiwa
09-04-2010, 03:47 PM
mmmm nikl'nip.... I used to eat the whole thing, wax included... xD (try not doing that)

I wonder if braces wax would work any better... I've got some when I had braces and It's a bit stiffer. Le sigh~ if only there was some way to harden it hmmmm...

*experiment time!*

NiwaNiwa
09-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Lol, can I make full shark teeth with these?
Can I also wear these over braces? <- I wonder if shark people have braces any ways o_o

o3o nikl'nip wax might be too soft and get in your braces...
but then again you could always refrigerate it (It tastes better too ;D)

haaku1234
10-09-2010, 03:49 AM
You're a genuis. o_o Why have I not heard of this method before?

halfdemongurl
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Is there any one who's tried this method who had pics of the final product? I'd lie to see what it loos like when they're in. :3

HidingintheMist
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
I very much love the idea of doing this! ^-^ Cheap, and sounds like it works well. Thanks for posting this, since now I have an idea of what I'll be doing for my Vampire Hunter D and Alucard cosplays.

VampireKnight
01-19-2011, 08:18 AM
I was wondering what I could use instead of the wax bottles, because I live in Australia and they don't have them here :S Also could I just use normal wax from a candle or does it have to be a special type?

Great tutorial btw :D

mechafaux
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I was wondering what I could use instead of the wax bottles, because I live in Australia and they don't have them here :S Also could I just use normal wax from a candle or does it have to be a special type?

No, candle wax is not the same wax at all.. please don't put that in your mouth :(

The type of wax used in the candy is very similar to orthodontics wax. When I was in 5th grade & had braces, they gave me packs of wax to put over the braces so it didn't scratch my mouth. I think you can probably buy those packs somewhere, or ask a dentist.
It looked just like this: http://www.dentakit.com/dentalwax1.html

VampireKnight
01-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Hahahaha new that would have been a bad idea :D

Hmmmm, maybe the pharmacy would have some or I could get some of my friend who has braces ( I've never needed them).
Does the colour of it have the same effect or does it look more fake?

Thank you so much for this advice :)

xrazzletazzlex
01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
There's a really cool website that sells fittable fangs

http://www.vampfangs.com

They have them in different sizes, styles, and colors as well

grimmgin
05-08-2011, 12:50 AM
I know this has been said, but I'm curious as well if they'd work like in a row, like Grell's teeth. I'm thinking of cosplaying him. I also would like to see what they look like on, but I guess I'll just have to find out myself. I love those wax bottle things anyways~

KnightJeran
05-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm really interested in this now. Super inexpensive, you get candy in the process (mmmmm....), and easy to make. Thank YOU!!!!

xRosalinax
05-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I know this has been said, but I'm curious as well if they'd work like in a row, like Grell's teeth. I'm thinking of cosplaying him. I also would like to see what they look like on, but I guess I'll just have to find out myself. I love those wax bottle things anyways~

Yes they do. I cosplay Ophelia!Grell and they work perfectly. All I had to do was make them a bit smaller for my two front teeth and make them shorter but besides that the tutorial works the same way as it would for just the two canines.

Darazan
07-04-2011, 06:22 PM
As for those with braces, I wouldn't risk trying to make these fangs, or even buying other custom fangs, you don't want something bad to happen and for it to get stuck or mess up your braces. Your dentist wouldn't be very happy with you, I'm sure. But if you're dying to do so, ask your dentist first if it's possible and how to go about it if it is. Show them what you're going for and the tutorial for it as well, and see what they say. They'd be the best ones to tell you if it would interfere with your braces.

LittleMissMaria
09-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Ummm we don't have a holiday gas station around us. .-. What do we do?

do you have a cracker barrel around? they sell them there ^_^

bluecow798
12-03-2011, 04:29 AM

I live in Australia too, I haven't been able to find that specific brand, but just up at the nearest 7/11, they have a very similar product~

bluecow798
12-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Also, umm, I have one set of canine teeth and they have grown in as much as they ever will... but they're really high on my gums...
as in, the tips of them are level with the roots of the rest of my teeth OTL
any tips?

Gypsyangelf4i
12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Fit the fangs to either the next set of teeth either on one side (the ones directly next to your front teeth, i.e. laterals ) or the other (The ones behind your canines.your premolars,i.e.biscuspids) My lower teeth don't line up right either and when making lower fangs, I was advised to use this method. It looks quite well in pictures.

3half
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I had braces and a really small mouth, so my Orthodontist decided to take out a bunch of my adult teeth. Would this still work without them (a flat bottomed tooth as apposed to the slightly pointy one that you told us to mold it to). Or would it not hold as well because it has less of the tooth to hold on to because the tooth you told us to mould it to has more of a V shape.

mumstheword
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
dont know if i have seen these wax bottles in australia

Shinigami_eyes
03-10-2012, 07:32 PM

I have four -.- that must really suck though.