PDA

View Full Version : Camera Jumpdrives

Sorra
02-19-2006, 08:28 PM
I was wondering if they sell jump drives that fit right into your digital camera and you can store all your pictures there. Because I dont have access to a computer at a con and can't afford a gig memory card.

Thanks in advance!

Vicky
02-19-2006, 10:45 PM
a jump drive that fits into a digital camera doesn't really make much sense so I couldn't imagine such things existing... sorry :\

silentspace
02-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Then perhaps it would be more economical for you to get several smaller capacity cards. that is, if you don't mind swapping them. With the 1GB cards, the cost of a 512mb and lesser have dropped. A while back someone got four 512MB cards for $40 (ebay, I think)

AlphaNinn
02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Indeed. Card prices have been dropping rapidly. I don't know what kind you use, so I'll use what my camera uses as an example. On newegg.com, you can get a 1 gig SD card for 45 dollars. I've seen them in stores for not that much more expensive, too.

I paid more than that for my 512 meg card just last year.

stefaniecat
02-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I have yet to hear of a camera that would take a jump drive, simply because the space in a camera is at a premium, and taking up extra 'jump' space would not be an economical design...'m sure there's other tech reasons as well as marketing ones too.

Anyway, what I'm seeing right now is that not only are the prices of portable flash memory drives getting cheaper and cheaper, as others have mentioned, the price of camera memory is getting cheaper and cheaper. I just got myself a second one gig CF card from newegg last week. I paid $58 after shipping, and the reason I paid just a tad more for this 1GB card than a few others out there was that its an 80x speed vs. some of the other cards which have a slower read/write speed.

There are portable devices that you can stick your camera memory card into, push a button, and offload the images into the larger (60BG for example) storage device there. These will also let you see the images on a small LCD screen, etc. and run on batteries... They're also a lot more expensive than several 1GB cards, but they are out there ^^