PDA

View Full Version : Any anime/manga characters missing their left eye?

gerbilfluff
02-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Okay, so I've tried cosplaying a few times before, but with a new convention season rapidly approaching, I've found myself with a dilemma. I've recently lost the use of my left eye to a rare, nerve-damaging medical condition. It can still technically see, but 95% of the pupil/iris is rolled off to the far corner.

When trying to find suitable characters-- ie, ones that keep their left eyes covered-- the more I've noticed: the Japanese seriously seem to have a thing for getting rid of characters' right eyes! "X"/"Tokyo Babylon," "Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle," "Saiyuki"-- all of 'em have somebody with a bad right eye. No bad-lefts in sight, though (no pun intended)...

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. Does anybody have any characters they could point me towards?

If it helps any, I was told I have the perfect build/facial structure to pull off Subaru from "Tokyo Babylon," though I wear glasses that look much like Seishiro's (from the same series).

Pazuzu
02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
If you don't mind Naruto cosplay, both Kakashi and Deidara cover their left eyes (one with a headband, the latter with a hawkeye sort of thing+bangs).

w00tastic
02-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Okay, so I've tried cosplaying a few times before, but with a new convention season rapidly approaching, I've found myself with a dilemma. I've recently lost the use of my left eye to a rare, nerve-damaging medical condition. It can still technically see, but 95% of the pupil/iris is rolled off to the far corner.

When trying to find suitable characters-- ie, ones that keep their left eyes covered-- the more I've noticed: the Japanese seriously seem to have a thing for getting rid of characters' right eyes! "X"/"Tokyo Babylon," "Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle," "Saiyuki"-- all of 'em have somebody with a bad right eye. No bad-lefts in sight, though (no pun intended)...

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. Does anybody have any characters they could point me towards?

If it helps any, I was told I have the perfect build/facial structure to pull off Subaru from "Tokyo Babylon," though I wear glasses that look much like Seishiro's (from the same series).

FINALLY somebody I can help! I have the exact same condition with my eyes (Except I was born half blind and I have no control over my left eye what so ever)

I find that when I cosplay, I either have to wear make up or get diffrent characters (Even if your male a little make up helps, it distracts from your eye and makes people focus in on other parts of your face)

However, your best bet is to go with Kakashi, where he keeps all of his eye covered you wont see your left eye at all, Other than that sorry I dont have ANY idea who else you could cosplay as.

Solaria
02-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Roy Mustang wears an eyepatch over his left eye in the FMA movie. The Fuhrer (King Bradley) also wears an eyepatch on his left eye in the series.

In Fruits Basket, Hatori's hair covers his left eye because it has been damaged. If you'd prefer to have the eye actually COVERED completely though (i.e. by more than hair), you could do a "damaged" version- i.e. use bandages as if you had just been injured.

There are also lots of characters that wear sunglasses and the like that you could consider, trading out the sunglasses for your real glasses for pictures or whatever.

Hikaruchan
02-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Two I can immediately think of are Ageha from legend of Basara (pic on http://www.dhost.info/otakumiko/gshiozawa.html ) and Roy Mustang in the Full Metal Alchemist movie ( pic on http://www.3dchips-fr.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=89454 )

Blackjack Gabbi
02-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Try Pegasus from Yu-Gi-Oh. He wears his hair to cover the eye anyway, too.

Michi
02-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I was thinking that Iori Yagami from The King of Fighters has such a hair style that it usually covers one of his eyes. Which eye it is usually changes from art to art. XD;

http://www.kof10th.com/english/character/index.php?num=iori

There's also Heidern and Ramon from the same series with eyepatches. It's on their right eyes, both of them, but since it's a 2D fighting series everything swaps when they're on the 2P side. So you could do an alternate color and switch everything and say you're 2P. XD I did that once with a Mai costume, haha.

natsukoarts
02-19-2006, 11:42 PM
SUMERAGI subaru, onmyoji and SAKURAZUKAMORI from x/1999 (CLAMP) also.
Sakurazukamori lost his eye and then later subaru lost the same eye - long story but they are both cool characters. you can do a search on X or on subaru or sakurazuka and see photos on this site.

Hanyaan
02-20-2006, 12:20 AM
He might be younger than you'd like, but Allen Walker (http://images.google.com/images?q=allen%20walker%20d.gray-man) from D.Gray-Man has an injured eye, and spends part of the manga with it covered by an eyepatch.

Master1080
02-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Legato Bluesummers seems to be a good choice. You hardly see both eyes since his hair covers his left eye. Plus, he is tall and skinny and is similar in structure to Subaru of X.

Danzikumaru
02-20-2006, 01:18 AM

While his patch is technically on his right eye, Geddoe from Suikoden III (http://suikosource.com/images/chars/g/geddoe01.jpg) is a recognizable character with depth perception problems. He's one of the True Rune Barers (particularly the True Lightening Rune)

His profile from Suikosource.com (if you haven't played the game):

Geddoe (Tenjyu Star)
Origin: Unkown
Position: Platoon Leader
Events: Fire Bringer War, Second Fire Bringer War
After Harmonia destroyed his homeland, Geddoe gained control of the True Lightning Rune, and ran away. He fought alongside the Flame Champion in the Fire Bringer War, and helped protect the Grasslands. After the war, he wandered the lands until about forty years later when he finally joined the Harmonian Southern Frontier Defense Force. He becomes the leader of the Twelfth Unit, and participates in the Second Fire Bringer War with his team. It is during this time that he decides to stop worrying about dying and to truly live. He helps defeat Luc, and continues working with the HSFDF.

scandia
02-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Andre Grandier from Rose of Versailles gets his left eye injured late in the series. I do not know the extent of the physical injury- only that he cannot see with his left eye so he keeps it covered with hair and closed (he mentions once that it stings- possibly light makes it painful to open during daylight). It does not detract from his good looks at all. So it is a good choice of character IMHO.

Cora
02-20-2006, 11:26 AM
SUMERAGI subaru, onmyoji and SAKURAZUKAMORI from x/1999 (CLAMP) also.
Sakurazukamori lost his eye and then later subaru lost the same eye - long story but they are both cool characters. you can do a search on X or on subaru or sakurazuka and see photos on this site.

Subaru and Seishirou lose their *right* eyes, not left. Besides they already mentioned this in their post that neither character was an option.

I second (or third, or fourth, or wherever we're at) Kakashi, but Legato would be fun to see too. I once saw a really awesome Legato at AI one year ^^

SaltySlippers
02-20-2006, 11:30 AM
hum the only person i can think of is kakashi. hum.

Raver-Sakura
02-20-2006, 12:14 PM
:D OMG You could do Matt from Dramacon! XD
He wears sunglasses mainly but his left eye is gone. O.O
You can be a cosplayer dressing as a cosplayer!! XD
http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=ProdReviews&func=showcontent&id=706
http://www.newsarama.com/tokyopop/DramaCon/interview3.jpg

Theres a link to what its about as well as some images of him. (He is the guy with dark sunglasses :3)

Hanyaan
02-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I just had another idea. If you really like X, you could still do one of those characters, provided you make sure to reverse absolutely everything that isn't symmetrical. The American release of X had flipped art, so you can just claim you're cosplaying the American manga release version of whoever you choose.

WilwarinAndamar
02-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Jubei-chan wears the Lovely Eyepatch over her left eye. You could probably cosplay her.

If you don't want to do the full battle armor, you could probably wear her school uniform with the eyepatch. You might have a better chance of being recognized.

Assassins Inc.
02-20-2006, 01:40 PM
[Post deleted for private reasons.]

phantomthief
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Ditton on the Roy Mustang. I'm loving that eyepatch >.>

Also a bit young but still possible is Hijiri Minase from Yami no Matsuei. At the beginning of his story arc (The Devil's Trill) his left eye (and most of that side of his face ^.^; ) is bandaged up. Pic attached!

Again from YnM there's Hisoka's father, Nagare. He wears a blindfold so... That could work >.>

Venom from Guilty Gear XX's eyes (FACE!) are both covered by his hair. Zato-1's blind so he has this funny blindfold thing. Kyu.

~Ari-chan

Inuyasha_Kun
02-20-2006, 02:17 PM
hehehe you could go as Inuyasha when he gets his left eye slashed through by Sesshoumaru.....thats when he is blinded in the left eye trying to get the 'black pearl'

*shrugs* it was just a suggestion....

Kairi_Heartless
02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Hm... Cygnus Hyoga from Saint Seiya has his left eye covered in Saint Seiya Hades and Saint Seiya Hades Inferno (second is the newest OAV)

http://www.saintseiya2003.altervista.org/Hades%20Carapter%20Site/026.jpg
http://fuunoroad.free.fr/gallery/saint2.jpg
http://www.saintseiyagalaxy.com/Photos/Fonds%20ecran/cygne.jpg

Just an idea ^^;;

illusernameyou
02-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Ok, this is gonna sound totally silly, but you could be Sheik, from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Sorry, but I'm a huge fan... :)

Riyuki chan
02-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Kamio Akira from Prince of Tennis wears his hair covering his left eye. It isn't damaged or gone or anything, he just wears his hair like that. The costume is incredibly simple, and a fair amount of people recognize it (I've cosplayed him before).

gerbilfluff
02-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Holy yikes--! You guys and gals are the best! I just got done swimming through all these great ideas...

I'd have to try dyeing my hair for the Dramacon guy, but the more I think about it, the more I like the concept of cosplaying a cosplayer. The "Well I'm the _VIZ_ version of him!" idea for doing either of the two X/1999 characters I wanted to do anyhow could work, too.

And I can't believe I forgot Hatori! Gah, talk about bad timing for my haircut a few days ago-- I even had the hair-down-long-over-the-left-side 'do he's got! :eek: That settles it, I've gotta find myself a lab coat and a plush seahorse once it grows back again. (And the violinist from Yami no Matsuei, forgot him, too! Must... rewatch...)

Thanks much for the brainsparks, all of ya's! :bigtu:

SolarVortex
02-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Auron in FFX wears black shaded glasses, and I don't even remember ever seeing his eyes. Sorry thats not just having the left eye covered up, but it's Final Fantasy though ^.^

Valgaav_Xellos
02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
If you're into Dynasty Warriors, there's always Xiahou Dun I think he wears a pacth over his left eye it could behis right though i'm not sure.

Other than that there's always Kakashi and Deidara from the Naruto series.

Let's see... you could try some sort of pirate cosplay too lol.

Lyte
02-21-2006, 08:55 PM
akito or agito (can't remember which one) from air gear wears an eyepatch to cover his left eye

http://blog.yam.com/tsuki/0e24d061.jpg

yamibakura03
02-21-2006, 10:19 PM
There also rabi from d-gray man. he has red hair and that darn eyepatch that covers his eye.
rei ayanami from neon genesis evangelion when she gets injured always has that bandaged left eye.

Rika Nakamura
02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Also, Gippal in FFX-2 wears an eye patch, I'm not sure which side though. And also, this character from Loveless, I haven't read it yet though. u_u;;

Azure
02-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Brandon Heat / Beyond The Grave from Gungrave has his left eye covered with his hair or wears glasses which the lens on his left eye is completely opaque.

mewillusion
02-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Kakashi or Hatori (Fruits Basket) from when Akito attacks his eye. He wears a bandage around it for a while.

Eleryth
02-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Just started Kyou Kara Maou again, and there's a guy from that who has a patch over his left eye. I skimmed a couple of eps for his name, which is just totally escaping me, but it's before ep 40 and probably after 20.... he was just in ep 41 but his name wasn't said. If I find it I'll come back and post it.

Cora
02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah, I know who you're talking about...whatshisface.....the cousin guy. gaaah I can't remember either. rawr. he's pretty cool.

Tancos
02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Ginko, the central character of the strange series Mushishi, wears his white hair over his artificial left eye.

Raver-Sakura
02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
:3 If you cosplay Matt from Dramacon, plllleeaasseee send pictures! X3 I <3 Him ,as well as Hatori! =D
For dying your hair, just find something not permanent of such..or even get a wig! Though I would prefer dying if you're not too great at Wigs ~_~;;
<--Not very good at wigs but learning

Yunri-Chan
02-23-2006, 03:01 PM
If you want lots of attention/glomps, I second Kakashi and Deidara. XD

mewillusion
02-25-2006, 01:28 PM
If you want lots of attention/glomps, I second Kakashi and Deidara. XD
I agree, if you want a lot of attention, Kakashi would do it.

Kaoshi Takai
02-26-2006, 03:57 PM
I agree, if you want a lot of attention, Kakashi would do it.
If you want too go with the non-cosplayed, try Pip Vernadead(Also spelled Bernadette). He is missing his left eye I believe.

cactusmomma
02-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Bart from Xenogears. :o
http://xenogears.tautoz.com/pics/bart.jpg

Nozomi-san
02-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Wolfwood from Trigun wears thick, dark sunglasses.

I 100th the Kakashi idea, though. I just love the guy^^.

Kakashi101
02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Bingo! Zaraki Kenpachi the 11th Division Captain of Bleach!!! He has a right (but you can make it left and no one will notice) bad-ass looking eyepatch. He's also my fav captain of the show. Good luck!!

http://www.anti-freez.net/bleach/pics/11.jpg

Runi-Chan
02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
i don't know if anyone's mentioned Matt from Dramacon, but he's missing an eye...I think that's his left.

EDIT: Okay, they have. But I still suggest it, *smile*

Dramacon's not 'technically' a manga...because it's written in english first, but hey, it's good.

kabuki_ikenie
02-28-2006, 06:09 AM
i'm also surprised that no one has mentioned sanji of one piece...

mou-chan from ikittousen wears an eyepatch, but i dont remember on which eye it was...

there's also a character in loveless that also uses an eye patch

and asuka (EVA) in "the end of evangelion" has bandages over her left eye...

RustyAngel
02-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I recently cosplayed Fujin from Final Fantasy VIII. She wears an eyepatch over her left eye. (See my icon.) ^_^

Chellian
02-28-2006, 03:08 PM
You could be Caine the Longshot from Trigun Vash. He wears a creepy mask with a patch over the left eye. Or, if you want to crossplay, you can be Dominique the Cyclops from Trigun!

Shey
03-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Rufus from Advent Children. His left eye is bandaged.

dieddead46
03-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Bear from .hack// atleast I think his names bear. Havnt seen it in so long, half green face, uses a long sword.

MargueriteChain
03-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Haven't really any suggestions, but rather an insight into why the right eye loss is more popular than the left eye in anime/manga... in Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (aka Ronin Warriors), Seiji Date has his right eye covered by his hair ~90% of the time. It's a visual direct reference to his ancestor, Masamune Date, a famous general during the time of Tokugawa Ieyasu who lost his right eye during childhood. So, perhaps, a cultural/historical reason for the imbalance.

Eleryth
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Re: Date, I don't think he actually lost his eye, I think he just lost vision in it. At least, that's how it was presented at the museum in Sendai, IIRC. It was some sort of disease, but I don't remember which one off the top of my head.

Interesting theory, though!

UsagiNoSenshi
03-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Natsume Shin from tenjou tenge... but i'm not sure which eye it was...

but i don't think anyone would notice if it was wrong since he's kinda obsucre.

edit:

Just checked and it is his left eye!

cactusmomma
03-06-2006, 06:25 PM
i'm also surprised that no one has mentioned sanji of one piece...

Sanji has both eyes..just really unruly hair. :)

Eleryth
03-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Geigen Huber! That's the name of the guy from KKM. ^_^

Hyper_Phantom
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Kaze from Final Fantasy Unlimited has his left eye covered up. He wears this kool monocole/glasses thing. Actually it's sunglasses missing one lense.

You could always do Cloud with his sunglasses. Or Rude, who's always wearing his shades from Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children.

People in order(pictures):
1)Cloud
2)Kaze
3)Kaze
4)Rude

Hyper_Phantom
03-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Dramacon's not 'technically' a manga...because it's written in english first, but hey, it's good.
But doesn't manga just mean comic in Japanese? So it's American manga! =D

hinatajedi
03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I not sure if anyone has mentioned Zenon from Saiyuki; he has an eye patch over his left eye.
http://www.geocities.com/sassafrass_boston/Saiyuki/homura3c.jpg

kagura_san
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
the fugher from FMA

RedPirate
03-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Sanji from One Piece always covers his left eye with his hair. Do you know One Piece?

cuddles116
03-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Male Option: Alright I don't know if anyone ever figured out the KKM character that was mentioned before but it is the ever hot Lord Geigenhuber, or just Hube, he's so hot! If you've never seen him he's mostly on the 6th DVD.
http://photos.imageevent.com/katsue/kyoukaramaou/kkm25/25_37.jpg

Female Option: From Rozen Maiden: traumend there is BaraSuishou she wears a purple rose patch over her left eye and she shoots crystals. =)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/JenFur116/Untitled.jpg

Anyway that's all I can think of for now that hasn't already been mentioned.

melovebaon
03-18-2006, 09:08 AM
spike from cowboy bebop has a fake eye that might help

Safaia
03-18-2006, 10:01 PM
akito or agito (can't remember which one) from air gear wears an eyepatch to cover his left eye

http://blog.yam.com/tsuki/0e24d061.jpg
Agito, who is a very kick-ass character. :D

kabuki_ikenie
03-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Sanji has both eyes..just really unruly hair. :)

yes, but you can't see it LOL... it's there, but you can't tell with the hair...

NefertariVivi
03-19-2006, 01:08 PM
How about Sanji from One Piece? He wears his hair so it covers his left eye..oo http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/TheTalentedMrSanji/OnePiece/Sanji/top-100.png

edit: oops..oo Someone already said Sanji.. That's what I get fer not reading teh entire forum..xx

Rikal
03-19-2006, 11:53 PM
WEll since nobody has suggested it: Chichiri from Fushigi Yugi.

I know it is an old series but one of my favorites and also Chichiri is the first costume I ever did. Poorly. But hey I did it.

My eye and staff were the best part. AT that time I had experience in prosthetics and props so my costume was sub par.

I used liquid latex to build a prosthetic scar over my eye and sealed it to the skin with my eye closed to seal the eye shut. I then used makeup techniques to blend it slightly into my skin.

It gets bothersome after a while but it is very effective.

Kaorte
03-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Zaraki Kenpachi- Bleach :P eyepatch on his right eye, but you can always switch it up :P
http://bleach7.com/information/guide/pics/11.jpg
oops...some one mentioned him already XD

oh and there is that other guy from bleach who is completely blind...Tousen!
http://www.manganimeuniverse.it/manganime.list/bleach/divisioni/tousen_kaname.jpg

lyssa_sensei
03-21-2006, 05:36 PM
you should totally go as kakashi from naruto. he's the coolest.

vampirate
03-21-2006, 09:29 PM
There's always a battle damaged Rei from Evangelion.

Rei.Ayanami
03-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Kakashi I think covers his left eye.

Yoru-kun
03-25-2006, 02:07 PM
..Ah. ^-^;. The only character I really know that covers his eye (which turns out to be the right) is Natsuo from Loveless. He wears an eyepatch, but I guess you could switch it around if you really wanted to. (If you don't mind shonen-ai..)

Roronoa_Zoro
03-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I was reading through all of the suggestions and came up with an interesting idea, I think. What if you took a character who had a missing right eye and did a mirror-world kind of thing with them (literally and figuratively)? Opposite everythings? A light character turned dark, a bad character gone good, etc.? Something you might want to play with.

SilencedChylde
04-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Hm. I haven't read every page, but I think that Rajura (Dais) from Yoroiden Samurai Troopers has an eyepatch on his left eye. Yes, I know that's an old anime, but I still like it.... n.n;

Either that or you could play as a character that wears sunglasses. :D

makotohanabi
04-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Also understand, my right eye is also my "good" eye.

Other ideas Sadako (the Ring) has both eyes covered by hair, Trowa from Gundam wing has hair covering one eye can't remember which eye. Farferello from Weiss Kreuz wears an eyepatch on his left eye.

A few times I wore the eyepatch for my Dominique the Cyclops on my left eye since it was bothering me.

Also second the Jubei suggestion, the world needs more Jubei chan cosplayers.

Doctor Blind
08-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Ukon (http://aniki.aburame.net/gallery/anime/ukon9.jpg) from Naruto has his hair covering his left eye. ^_^ (His brother Sakon has his hair covering his right hair. Don't get them confused :P)
You could additionally cosplay Ukon in his Level 2 Curse Seal form (http://aniki.aburame.net/gallery/anime/ukon1.jpg).
That would be really awesome if you cosplayed Ukon, the Sound siblings need more love. <3

Dcgoddess3
08-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't know if you would be willing to crossplay but Nao from Mai HiME later in the series has an eye patch over her left eye. That's about all I can think of besides Inui from Prince of Tennis. He wears glasses but you never see his eyes.

Gaara-Sephiroth
08-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Try Pegasus from Yu-Gi-Oh. He wears his hair to cover the eye anyway, too.
He's scary! Anyway, I was thinking to suggest him but I didn't remember which of his eye was covered.....I haven't seen the regular Yu-Gi-Oh in a while.

Itsuki13
08-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Agito from air gear wears his eye patch on his left eye ^.^

CrimsonNataku
08-16-2007, 10:55 PM
I not sure if anyone has mentioned Zenon from Saiyuki; he has an eye patch over his left eye.
http://www.geocities.com/sassafrass_boston/Saiyuki/homura3c.jpg

I think that's his right eye...

Someone has mentioned it before, but I personally think that Kuroki Kaze (has his left eye covered by a dark glasses lens) from Final Fantasy Unlimited would be awesome! ^_^

bitchninja
08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Wanajima Akito/Agito wears an eyepatch. Agito (I think, I've never seen the anime, but my brother was into it for a while) is pretty much Hyde while Akito is Jekyll. The eyepatch changes position according to which one he is. (It's inbetween both eyes if they work together) Kind of complicated. but here's a ref. pic of his face:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Agitoair.jpg

yamibakura
08-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Noitora from Bleach wears an eyepatch over his left eye. (: