PDA

View Full Version : Prop imstrument help?

Celine
05-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Hi, I'm making a costume for a friend, and he wants the *full* costume. Unfortunately, that makes it tough since the character has a harp-like instrument! (Poco from Arc the Lad, for anyone who has maybe seen the show)

I am planning to scan a picture of it tonight... but basically it's a lyre(?), (or was it lute? I suck) I think. I'm sure I can use some wire for the strings without a problem, but I am not sure what would be best to make the body of it out of. It is a U shaped frame... I was planning to try paper mache, but that won't be sturdy and I don't know how well it will hold the shape (or how smooth I can get it). Any thoughts?

Ali-kun
05-14-2002, 09:35 PM
My brother made an instrument out of balsa wood for a project last year...it was strung with wire, but not playable because it wasn't stretched taut. I don't know how he made it, though ^^;

I could ask. Dad probably helped. Agh, it would be better to ask Dad, then, but he is out of town!

Clay would probably -work- but it would be quite heavy. Wood is lots lighter...besides, with clay, you need to have ACCESS to a kiln which not everyone has ^^;; Otherwise it will either break or absorb water, and THEN break. Clay tends to be lumpy, too, but I bet it would be easier to sand down to the right shape than paper mache, at least.

Babbit_Chan
05-14-2002, 10:50 PM
You might try finding something that resembles its shape and then working from there? *dies* I have no sample picture T-T *sounds like Beverly*

Adella
05-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Model magic and a hanger bent into the shape is all I can suggest. Like bend the hanger into the shape you want then shape the model magic over it. It's probably not a good idea. But I tried for my Tania!

Mei Lan Chang
05-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Perhaps if you found something already in a "U" shape, and then paper mache'd the exterior. Then the strings (made of sting, coat hanger, whatever) could be strung with a little more support than just paper mache. I dunno, you could also just take apart some chair and take the back support and use that with a little gold spray paint. I find the best thing, is to just take a visit to a junkyard or take a stroll near a dump heap. One man's trash is another man's lyre!