PDA

View Full Version : Original Character Design

Baka
02-21-2006, 04:01 PM
The Official "Original Character Design Thread"

If you plan on making a original character for a convention or for fun. What do you think should be the theme of the costume? How close should it resemble the anime that it is based on? Do accesories make a difference? What are some of your designs for an orginal character?

You can feel free to talk about your orginal cosplays here.

Also you can share some of your designs with us. Post it here.

If you need any help on individual items or think you can help others P.M. me and I'll add you to the following help list, okay.

Help List:
Baka-----------------Acessories, Katanas, Misc. Weapons, Character Design
Zerimar---------------Katanas, Armor

You may contact anyone in the help list for more information. Have Fun.

Master Zero
02-21-2006, 04:04 PM
create something based on anything you enjoy. I did.

Baka
02-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I know you can cosplay anything you want... but how related to the anime based on does it have to be? If you choose for it to resemble an anime...
-Marco

Zipo
02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
While it does frustrate me to ask someone what series their costume is from and for them to say "oh, it's an original character" (because that sorta halts the conversation), I still think it's perfectly fine for them to have their fun by making an original design.

In theory it should be at least remotely related to anime, but I'd never criticize someone else's choice of original characters unless I knew them personally.

Master Zero
02-21-2006, 04:12 PM
close enough to where people can recognize it from the anime, but still have no idea who the character is.

Baka
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
In theory it should be at least remotely related to anime, but I'd never criticize someone else's choice of original characters unless I knew them personally.

It's Interesting you metion that... most of the time... not all the time I can't even tell what anime a costume is based on... or if it's based on an anime or game at all...
-Marco

close enough to where people can recognize it from the anime, but still have no idea who the character is.
Sometimes a costume is not recognizable because its not based on anything... I got to hand it to some "original characters" sometimes they can be pretty daring... and even... very creative. (That was the reason I put that as the poll question)
-Marco

I anticipated not many would say that it would be a waste of time, I just wanted to be sure.(So far 6 ppl think it's a creative effort) I'll admit when I was younger and started cosplaying I made quite a few original characters trying to get of feel of cosplaying before I started going all out. It was sort of like testing water before jumping into a pool. Once I became comfortable... the rest was easy and I think that could be one of the major reasons that people make orignal characters.

The Partisan
02-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I am a firm believer in original cosplays. All I ever do is original characters of my own creation from my pesonal story I've created.

I feel that original character cosplaying is the next level of cosplaying. It shows skill and ability to create your own design, while still adhering to anime/game basics.

Hanyaan
02-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Original costumes that have interesting designs, are as well crafted as a recreation piece would be, and show effort and creativity are wonderful. I don't mind if something isn't from a specific series; I don't need to have seen reference art to appreciate a beautifully made costume on its own merit.

Tossing on some random street clothes and a wig and maybe a naruto headband and saying you're an original fanfiction character is where I get annoyed, though. Yes, it may technically be completely accurate to what you envision your fanfiction character wearing, but if I can't tell the difference between your "original design" outfit and something that one of the endless convention sign-bearing catgirls would wear just so that they don't have to wear completely normal clothes, it does not get my respect.

Zipo
02-21-2006, 06:36 PM
It's Interesting you metion that... most of the time... not all the time I can't even tell what anime a costume is based on... or if it's based on an anime or game at all...
-Marco
Well, yeah, you probably wouldn't recognize it. The only exception would be original characters based on some kind of uniform or racial feature. For instance, a friend of mine is planning on leading a "Hellsing Academy" group cosplay. They will all be original characters who are part of a Hellsing "school for training young assassins," she says. If they have some sort of trademark emblem, THEN you'll have a clue, but otherwise you probably won't know until you ask. That's just how it goes.

hakkou mitsukai
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
i made a topic on this before i found this T_T (sorry for that) but i had the same dilema... would it be just based from a series like Zipo said for example OC's of the hellsing academy cause you would see a crest. but what about purely uninspired creations to do with a certain anime (like oc's of an original unknown source). would the outfit justify it as cosplay, or do people have to connect with it to make it so? i draw, and so have my own storys with own chracters unrelated to anything, but how weird woud it be to cosplay my creation?

Hanyaan
02-21-2006, 06:49 PM
i made a topic on this before i found this T_T (sorry for that) but i had the same dilema... would it be just based from a series like Zipo said for example OC's of the hellsing academy cause you would see a crest. but what about purely uninspired creations to do with a certain anime (like oc's of an original unknown source). would the outfit justify it as cosplay, or do people have to connect with it to make it so? i draw, and so have my own storys with own chracters unrelated to anything, but how weird woud it be to cosplay my creation?
It's done all the time at more scifi/fantasy/comics oriented events, and I've seen it done plenty of times at anime events too. If it looks cool and has serious effort put in and it can stand on its own right as a wonderful costume, it'll be accepted by the vast majority of congoers.

Of course you can always make up that it's from some random manga that totally doesn't exist like "Legend of the Moonstone Knights" or something, and watch people try and be cool and pretend that they've heard of Legend of the Moonstone Knights but had never actually seen it.

Baka
02-21-2006, 06:52 PM
I personally think it doesnt matter what you cosplay as long as you work you hardest in making that original character the best it can be... even if it may not be all that attractive.
-Marco
P.S.
But... it looking good is a plus.

I am a firm believer in original cosplays. All I ever do is original characters of my own creation from my pesonal story I've created.

I feel that original character cosplaying is the next level of cosplaying. It shows skill and ability to create your own design, while still adhering to anime/game basics.

That does happen when the costume is as skillfull as the cosplayer
-Marco

If you don't have inspiration you can't even make a costume that has an anime it imitates.... either way creating a character is a difficult task.
-Marco

hakkou mitsukai
02-21-2006, 06:57 PM
hahahaha thats just ebil in a jar XD but funny... i think the line "i've heard of it, but no read it" would be said quite a few times if you are convincing enough XD

but thank you for clearing that up for me; so as long as its good as a costume, the context of its origin wont matter.

If you don't have inspiration you can't even make a costume that has a anime it imitates creating a character is a difficult task.
-Marco

oh no no no, what i meant was uninspired in regards to actual anime that are currently out there; ie something different and unknown... it would have inspiration from its own story for the character costumes, i just mean not inspired from other anime.

Baka
02-21-2006, 07:04 PM
oh no no no, what i meant was uninspired in regards to actual anime that are currently out there; ie something different and unknown... it would have inspiration from its own story for the character costumes, i just mean not inspired from other anime.

I get it... That could very well be the case. And you could use that as the inspiration for your costume. I agree with HanyaanFaery a costume must show some decent amount of effort.(Even if it is original) If it does not... why even cosplay.. it could offend others. I know I am, when I see people walking around claiming to have a original character and the only difference between their street clothes and their "Original Character" is a headband or other accessory... Sometimes people just don't think.
-Marco

sakis bluescion
02-22-2006, 04:52 AM
i make original charas. all the time, most o them i based after an anime/manga/game, n after the things i see n hear around me^^
im looking 4 someone who can cosplay my chars. 4 me or with me

Zipo
02-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Of course you can always make up that it's from some random manga that totally doesn't exist like "Legend of the Moonstone Knights" or something, and watch people try and be cool and pretend that they've heard of Legend of the Moonstone Knights but had never actually seen it.

Hahaha! I know someone who actually did that!! XD

She had her hair all gelled up with sparkles in it, sparkles on her face, really cute striped socks, and a red and white dress with hearts on it, that she'd made herself just for fun. When people asked what it was from, she'd say:

"It's from Sparkle Haato! ...You know... 'Sparkle Heart'...? What?! You HAVEN'T HEARD of Sparkle Haato?!? :eek: "

XD

robfalcon
02-22-2006, 09:12 AM
I know you can cosplay anything you want... but how related to the anime based on does it have to be? If you choose for it to resemble an anime...
-Marco

I think the more it resembles to something else, the less originality it has. Sometimes you do get original designs admitingly influenced from something already done. For instance Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid was influenced from Snake Pliskin from Escape From New York.

But why dose something related to anime often gets implied as an unwritten rule?

Baka
02-22-2006, 09:59 AM
i make original charas. all the time, most o them i based after an anime/manga/game, n after the things i see n hear around me^^
im looking 4 someone who can cosplay my chars. 4 me or with me

What makes your costumes different than anyone else?
-Marco

I think the more it resembles to something else, the less originality it has. Sometimes you do get original designs admitingly influenced from something already done. For instance Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid was influenced from Snake Pliskin from Escape From New York.

I think I understand where your getting at... but I belive you can sum up original characters under four catagory's:
1) Original Charater based on an anime.*
2) Original Character based on personal creativity(original design)*
3) Orignal Character with no basis... or very disorganized, unplanned or very much unoriginal and offensive.
4) Person that claims to have an original character but only has one or two accessories of someting... could be anything...?

* These two are the only ones that I feel should be considered original. However, they must show sincere effort.

Note: The four catagory's stated above are my personal opinion if you feel they are incorrect or badly stated, please feel free to correct me. Thank you.

But why dose something related to anime often gets implied as an unwritten rule?

It's not an unwritten rule per say... It's more like common sense.(I hope your talking about cosplaying) If you cosplay a character in a specific anime of course there are certain guidelines. But when you cosplay something directly related to an anime, but is not a specific character, and is more like a "orignal" character based on that anime. Then it does somewhat have to be related to it or you can't go off saying its based on it even if you did derive inspiration from that particular series or manga.
-Marco

sakis bluescion
02-22-2006, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=Baka]What makes your costumes different than anyone else?
-Marco

what makes them different? um....maybe u could be a lil more specific>.<

Kaijugal
02-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Because of the background I'm from, I'm a big fan of original designs. I love completely original designs, ( i.e. not based on any Book, Cartoon, Movie, Series, etc ), but I also often enjoy modifications and extrapolations of exisiting ideas. Using Sci Fi cons as an example, I'd rather see a masqeurade with four different types of Klingon's than four "Mr Worf"s.

Sometimes original designs or extrapolations can be very amusing, or plain knock your socks off.

Examples:

Tristem Citrine's "Toad" from Mario Bros (Nintendo). (http://members.cosplay.com/costume/4776/gallery/)

Or Vampirate's "Moogle Lulu" (http://members.cosplay.com/costume/33854/)

Not all Anime Convnetions allow original creations in thier masquerades. Be sure to check if the convention you are planning to attend does if you wish to enter.

(For Canadians, Anime North and FANEX Canada (CNA) allow and encourage original creations)

Cheers!

Baka
02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
what makes them different? um....maybe u could be a lil more specific>.<

Sure... Since you say you make original characters all the time... you said that, "most o them [you] based [your costume] after an anime/manga/game, n after the things [you] see n hear around [you]" What makes your costumes unique? What set's them apart from the rest of the known cosplaying world? What makes your costume (even though it is original) "based" after a certain, "anime/manga/game"? What makes it seperate from any "anime/manga/game"? Hope that made things a little clearer about where I was trying to get at?
-Marco:toothy:

Because of the background I'm from, I'm a big fan of original designs. I love completely original designs, ( i.e. not based on any Book, Cartoon, Movie, Series, etc ), but I also often enjoy modifications and extrapolations of exisiting ideas. Using Sci Fi cons as an example, I'd rather see a masqeurade with four different types of Klingon's than four "Mr Worf"s.

Sometimes original designs or extrapolations can be very amusing, or plain knock your socks off.

Examples:

Tristem Citrine's "Toad" from Mario Bros (Nintendo). (http://members.cosplay.com/costume/4776/gallery/)

Or Vampirate's "Moogle Lulu" (http://members.cosplay.com/costume/33854/)

Not all Anime Convnetions allow original creations in thier masquerades. Be sure to check if the convention you are planning to attend does if you wish to enter.

(For Canadians, Anime North and FANEX Canada (CNA) allow and encourage original creations)

Cheers!

Wow... that's cool. How do you come up with your original designs? Ahem... The one's that are "not based on any Book, Cartoon, Movie, Series." And... Do you still consider the costumes that are based on on a anime... that you have made modifications as a part of that series? (ie. snj versions or a completly newly envisioned character within the series) Therefore you would promote that costume as such?

Crazy Flower
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I absolutely love original designs and concepts. Often times, when I make an original design, I *loosely* base it on cultural applications. (I should really get some pics up)

Baka
02-23-2006, 12:22 PM
I absolutely love original designs and concepts. Often times, when I make an original design, I *loosely* base it on cultural applications. (I should really get some pics up)

Yeah... I know I would love to see some of them... Hey we could talk about "original design" concepts also? Just a thought any-wayz what are your opinions?
-Marco

sakis bluescion
02-23-2006, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=Baka]Sure... Since you say you make original characters all the time... you said that, "most o them [you] based [your costume] after an anime/manga/game, n after the things [you] see n hear around [you]" What makes your costumes unique? What set's them apart from the rest of the known cosplaying world? What makes your costume (even though it is original) "based" after a certain, "anime/manga/game"? What makes it seperate from any "anime/manga/game"? Hope that made things a little clearer about where I was trying to get at?
-Marco:toothy:well what makes them diff? well there not copies, like if i see a chara. from an anime with a cool accessory i wont copy it n put it on my chara. n say its original. i drew a original yuna gunner design n its nothin like the one from x-2, its not skimpy^^n a original yuna lady luck:), i like makin original designs 4 anime/manga/game chars., n there not copies o what the charas. wear, nor r they modified, its all original^^, all my chara. r o my own creations
um thats all i have...don't know what else to say>.<

Baka
02-23-2006, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE]well what makes them diff? well there not copies, like if i see a chara. from an anime with a cool accessory i wont copy it n put it on my chara. n say its original. i drew a original yuna gunner design n its nothin like the one from x-2, its not skimpy^^n a original yuna lady luck:), i like makin original designs 4 anime/manga/game chars., n there not copies o what the charas. wear, nor r they modified, its all original^^, all my chara. r o my own creations
um thats all i have...don't know what else to say>.<
Sweet... I would like to see some of your costumes...

Etsu
02-23-2006, 07:15 PM
There are two ways my original characters get created. One comes from me throwing together whatever's in my closet for a themed party or an impromptu photo shoot. Even if they are quick an easy, the characters wind up coming to a life b/c as I'm putting together my costume, I start thinking up a background story, and that's sometimes how my stories get inspired. That was how Lycoris (my demon princess) and Vegas were created.

The other way is basically the reverse. I have a story character that I want to cosplay. Perfect example is Hana Li. The one character I would really love to cosplay as is my anime counterpart: Etsu the J-rock Half-demon Anti-hero (I turned my friends and I into anime stereotype parodies).

Maryssa
02-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Haha. What you SHOULD do is make up a costume, and when people ask you what its from, give them a random anime and say it was from episode (fill in the number) and watch them pretend they know exactly what you are talking about. ;D

sakis bluescion
02-24-2006, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE=sakis bluescion]
Sweet... I would like to see some of your costumes...
haha i don't show my charas. to just anyone^^'
u have to be a really good friend o mine 4 me to show u my charas.
.....see i feel that if i put one o my charas. online, even a original design, i feel that someone might steal them n claim my chara./design as their own >.<
but we can be friends if u like=^^=

Kaijugal
02-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Wow... that's cool. (1)How do you come up with your original designs? Ahem... The one's that are "not based on any Book, Cartoon, Movie, Series." And... (2)Do you still consider the costumes that are based on on a anime... that you have made modifications as a part of that series? (ie. snj versions or a completly newly envisioned character within the series) Therefore you would promote that costume as such?

There are two questions here so let me break it down.

1) For example, last year somebody in my group of friends decided we should make faerie costumes. (I'm not sure why, it's puportedly a girl thing/costumer thing, to want to make a "snow queen" costume at some point. I think "faeries" fall also into this category). LOL. Most likely not a 100% true statement, but there are alot of costumers I have met that either have, or will. XD

But I digress. So we decided to make faerie costumes, "flower faeries" to be exact, ones who's costume would represent the flower that they were named after. Then we just designed our individual costumes and went to it.
(There are pictures in my gallery here, if you're curious).

For an anime style costume I have met lots of people who have designed characters for their personal anime/manga style fan fics, online comics, art, and then cosplayed as them. I suppose that is another example.

Examples that come to mind are Apollo Smile (http://www.hellfire.com/interviews/images/apollocomic.jpg), or Black Bastard (http://www.hobbystar.com/ComicConToronto/images/Blackbastard.JPG)who you can see being interviewed next to his comic book poster.

2) Personally I consider modified costumes, i.e. as per example of Tristen's Toad costume, as related to the series they come from. I don't see why not.

aoifa_silverdra
02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
I get it... That could very well be the case. And you could use that as the inspiration for your costume. I agree with HanyaanFaery a costume must show some decent amount of effort.(Even if it is original) If it does not... why even cosplay.. it could offend others. I know I am, when I see people walking around claiming to have a original character and the only difference between their street clothes and their "Original Character" is a headband or other accessory... Sometimes people just don't think.
-Marco

just a slight little nite here:
im some series, naruto for exemple, or noir, or Madlax, they werar normal street clothing. so what do you do then to make an originale caracter and not piss off others when most of the caracters are in street clothing.....

__illusen_
02-24-2006, 08:16 PM
I love seeing original costumes, they make me happy that someone has taken the time to make something that hasn't been done before. Unless it's just a slap job street outfit jumbled together with an armband or inuyasha ears added at the last minute.

The Partisan
02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm in the process of creating my own character. Here's a link to my pics:

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?member=37912&cat=500

Crazy Flower
02-25-2006, 01:17 AM
I finally got around to uploading the photos of my original cosplay. This, is Aori Mizusei, a Japanese water mage.

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=36158&member=41079

This was actually the first piece of cosplay I made (not the first outfit, because I made a costume for halloween before)

otakuapprentice
02-25-2006, 02:05 AM
by making an original costume that not related to any anime or anything whatsoever is creativity and imagination at its finest! original costumes stand out in a crowd of 100 naruto cosplayers(i dont have anything against naruto, so dont start hating me immediately). hell, i'm making a original costume myself, and im working as i go along. even though i am taking one or two small ideas from some places, it is still better than anything because you will cherish it more than you're other costumes.

hakkou mitsukai
02-25-2006, 08:20 AM
i'd like to see either more pics of original costumes, or some original deisgn drawings.

Baka
02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
just a slight little nite here:
im some series, naruto for exemple, or noir, or Madlax, they werar normal street clothing. so what do you do then to make an originale caracter and not piss off others when most of the caracters are in street clothing.....
Well... you can leave that all up to the imagination...
-Marco

Heat
02-27-2006, 12:20 AM
I made an original character for a video game close to my heart Jet Set Radio Future anyone? It's in my gallery, Originality makes the world go round Yo

Baka
02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
haha i don't show my charas. to just anyone^^'
u have to be a really good friend o mine 4 me to show u my charas.
.....see i feel that if i put one o my charas. online, even a original design, i feel that someone might steal them n claim my chara./design as their own >.<
but we can be friends if u like=^^=

Sure... Why not?
-Marco

I made an original character for a video game close to my heart Jet Set Radio Future anyone? It's in my gallery, Originality makes the world go round Yo
You have a point there... if we don't have originality then we would not have any characters to begin with... I mean, no characters would exist. Would they?
-Marco

sakis bluescion
02-27-2006, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Baka]Sure... Why not?
why not what? whats with the question mark?>.<
in the 8th grade my sis stole pics o my original charas. n gave them to her friends sayin she drew them*crys crys*:bigcry:......
from then i was scared o the tought that someone else might steal my other charas. n say they drew them>.<
so ya
...but i guess i could show u at least..2 o my charas. if ya like:bigtu:

Baka
02-27-2006, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE]
why not what? whats with the question mark?>.<
in the 8th grade my sis stole pics o my original charas. n gave them to her friends sayin she drew them*crys crys*:bigcry:......
from then i was scared o the tought that someone else might steal my other charas. n say they drew them>.<
so ya
...but i guess i could show u at least..2 o my charas. if ya like:bigtu:
Hey... thanks for trusting me... No more hesitation or "?" your characters rock...
-Marco

sakis bluescion
02-27-2006, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=sakis bluescion]
Hey... thanks for trusting me... No more hesitation or "?" your characters rock...
-Marco
yep*pats ur back* ur trustworthy:bigtu:
i love my charas. thanks:angel:

Baka
02-28-2006, 10:07 AM
yep*pats ur back* ur trustworthy:bigtu:
i love my charas. thanks:angel:

*Ouch* Just kidding... where did everyone run off to???
-Marco

BountyBebopLuva
02-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I totally support the making of orginial character design. Once I get myself some extra money I plan on not only making my original X-men character's costume, but also my longest running roleplaying character's costume.

Gina, my eldest roleplaying character, is also the main character of the novel I've been working on for the last 4 years. I could easily go for any of the costumes she has throughout the story and often when I tell people about the novel conversations are started... I can only imagine the same thing would happen with a costume.

About the whole, "I'm from (insert random name of made up anime)" I did that before at OhayoCon 2005 with my Meecha kitty EGL costume. I forget what anime I said I was from but it was amusing to see people agree on how great things are despite them not knowing what the heck you're talking about.. lol

Baka
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
I totally support the making of orginial character design. Once I get myself some extra money I plan on not only making my original X-men character's costume, but also my longest running roleplaying character's costume.

Gina, my eldest roleplaying character, is also the main character of the novel I've been working on for the last 4 years. I could easily go for any of the costumes she has throughout the story and often when I tell people about the novel conversations are started... I can only imagine the same thing would happen with a costume.

About the whole, "I'm from (insert random name of made up anime)" I did that before at OhayoCon 2005 with my Meecha kitty EGL costume. I forget what anime I said I was from but it was amusing to see people agree on how great things are despite them not knowing what the heck you're talking about.. lol
Yeah I know... we were talking about people who "wannabie" anime fans the other day... It's funny how some people would say anything to be considered "cool" by fellow cosplayers... I mean why would anyone want to be cool?
-Marco

robfalcon
03-01-2006, 03:22 AM

Sounds like the very thing i,m trying to do. I play an RP game called Cyberpunk. Its setting is in a futuristic world (i.e. like Bladerunner and Escape from New York ect). I played it in 1997 and thought to myself if one of us wrote down all the adventures we all did during the gameplays, we would have an impressive novel there.

So when i started playing again in 2004, i decided this time to do it. I realise i,ll have to make changes and modifications amoungst the storylines but hopefully will still come off good. I put my RP character in my gallary, only thing he,s missing is a trench coat. Cant wait to see yours then :)

Baka
03-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Sounds like the very thing i,m trying to do. I play an RP game called Cyberpunk. Its setting is in a futuristic world (i.e. like Bladerunner and Escape from New York ect). I played it in 1997 and thought to myself if one of us wrote down all the adventures we all did during the gameplays, we would have an impressive novel there.

So when i started playing again in 2004, i decided this time to do it. I realise i,ll have to make changes and modifications amoungst the storylines but hopefully will still come off good. I put my RP character in my gallary, only thing he,s missing is a trench coat. Cant wait to see yours then :)
Nice... is there a story behind your character...
-Marco

robfalcon
03-01-2006, 11:06 AM
yes there is, but i dont wanna go into huge detail otherwise i,ll get labeled for thread spamming. As its hard to describe my characters background, without describing the background behind the world in Cyberpunk first.

If you click on this link here, http://www.geocities.com/rms6859/Cyberpunk.html

and look for the character "Northstar", you,ll be able to read his biography (along with other characters in the game aswell lol). Ignore the fact of seeing WWE logo.s in the pics, its just because i designed the characters in that video game and thought getting stills of them from the game would be a good way to get illistrations of them

Baka
03-01-2006, 06:45 PM
yes there is, but i dont wanna go into huge detail otherwise i,ll get labeled for thread spamming. As its hard to describe my characters background, without describing the background behind the world in Cyberpunk first.

If you click on this link here, http://www.geocities.com/rms6859/Cyberpunk.html

and look for the character "Northstar", you,ll be able to read his biography (along with other characters in the game aswell lol). Ignore the fact of seeing WWE logo.s in the pics, its just because i designed the characters in that video game and thought getting stills of them from the game would be a good way to get illistrations of them
Oh... Okay... but what individual designs have you personally come up with??
-Marco

Keshi
03-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Well, I'm gonna do it ^____^ I'm planning on cosplaying my RP characters! (aren't I original XD) Mariscia, Chii, and Freya (yes I did steal their names and partly looks from Chobits XD) ^___^ They're all SHORT though. ;_; I'm not. Oh well, I'll still make them even though I need a wig for them. I don't think it's a waste of time, I think it's fun ^_______^! I'm making a kimono soon(ish)... I can't seem to find eight yards of fabric which'll reach my ankles, however...

robfalcon
03-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Oh... Okay... but what individual designs have you personally come up with??
-Marco

Nothing that flamboyant to be honest. Darky moody type solo,s (i.e. Snake Pliskin, Blade, The Punisher ect) tend not to look too flamboyant, so you gotta be fairly suttle ultimately. Only thing unique about Northstar is his mask really, otherwise theres not really anything to unique about his attire.

Like with the Punisher, only unique thing on him was that white skull on his T-shirt, otherwise he looked rather generic.

Keshi....wahoooo now that makes 4. Go for it :)

MissSCeleste
03-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Original cosplays are awesome and require great creativity.

Nuff said. :bigtu:

Hope this isn't considered spam but here are some ref. pics (just cause the topic starters asking for examples) of the original character I created from my indepently published comic series "Oh, Captain!" of the main character Captain Blue.. You can see the cosplay version of it in my gallery on here.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/28201218/ <--- Cap'n Blue (original)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25938481/ <-- Cap'n Dark Blue

I have loads of other original designs to.. some have been made into cosplays and are finished but I don't have good photos of.. like I have me trying them on but not the completed costume.. like missing cape and make up and correct hair styling and jewelery.. and others I haven't even begun constructing or someone else is going to.. I create original character costume designs more then actually construct cosplays.. but I do also alter/construct some myself depending on what I'm doing it for.. :reverse:

Nuri
03-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Once I decided to make an original costume of a famous character.
I`ve made a dance, weapon and kostum, which I thought it would be well looked from the stage.
When I have stepped onstage with this number, the character have learned weather it was the original costume
It was Suzaku (the god of south) from Fushigi Yuugi
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=622622

VincentEternal
03-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Original character designs seem cool although I'll still use ones that I'm familiar with from anime/games, etc. When I run out of characters to do (which won't be any time soon at my slow ass rate!) then maybe I'll create an original one. ^_^

Baka
03-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Nothing that flamboyant to be honest. Darky moody type solo,s (i.e. Snake Pliskin, Blade, The Punisher ect) tend not to look too flamboyant, so you gotta be fairly suttle ultimately. Only thing unique about Northstar is his mask really, otherwise theres not really anything to unique about his attire.

Like with the Punisher, only unique thing on him was that white skull on his T-shirt, otherwise he looked rather generic.

Keshi....wahoooo now that makes 4. Go for it :)
Well... Thats nice, that is what you are passionate about... right?
-Marco

Original cosplays are awesome and require great creativity.

Nuff said. :bigtu:

Hope this isn't considered spam but here are some ref. pics (just cause the topic starters asking for examples) of the original character I created from my indepently published comic series "Oh, Captain!" of the main character Captain Blue.. You can see the cosplay version of it in my gallery on here.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/28201218/ <--- Cap'n Blue (original)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25938481/ <-- Cap'n Dark Blue

I have loads of other original designs to.. some have been made into cosplays and are finished but I don't have good photos of.. like I have me trying them on but not the completed costume.. like missing cape and make up and correct hair styling and jewelery.. and others I haven't even begun constructing or someone else is going to.. I create original character costume designs more then actually construct cosplays.. but I do also alter/construct some myself depending on what I'm doing it for.. :reverse:

Nice... Well at least you are one of the few that actually puts the required effort into your original design...
-Marco

Original character designs seem cool although I'll still use ones that I'm familiar with from anime/games, etc. When I run out of characters to do (which won't be any time soon at my slow ass rate!) then maybe I'll create an original one. ^_^
So, you are still using anime/ games as the bases for all the characters that you invent?
-Marco

Dragonmun
05-08-2006, 01:32 AM
The reason that I really got into cosplaying was to promote my comics (because otherwise I drown in a sea of other artists trying to do the same) so I really have to put forth a lot of effort into those costumes.

And it's been a labor of love to I'll tell you what, but finally after years of working on them piece by piece as I can afford the parts it's finally starting to pay off... and my comic is in negotiations with a small-time publisher (who noticed me becase of my costumes).

That makes me happy.
^_^

----------

There are times where I'm thinking that the people should just say that it's a cool outfit perchased somewhere, but sometimes I run into cool original costumes and find myself intrigued enough to learn more about the character and story. In a lot of cases this actually paid off in the form of me findinf an amazing story that I wouldn't have known about otherwise because it's still independant press.

Dragonmun
05-08-2006, 01:37 AM
i'd like to see either more pics of original costumes, or some original deisgn drawings.

http://images.cosplay.com/thumbs/65/657779.jpg (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=657779) http://images.cosplay.com/thumbs/65/657755.jpg (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=39434&member=44563)

I've got more drawings of the on my DA account (http://dragonmun.deviantart.com) but I'll get those moved over to my site eventually. ^_^;

Baka
06-05-2007, 03:16 PM
This is one of my favorite all time topics!!! So I wanted to see if I could get it started up again what do guys think?!?!?!

Kesra
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
This topic makes me want to cosplay my D&D character Kesra Kyse. She's a paladin. I'll have to figure out the chainmail though....

Hime no Toki
06-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I think original characters are a great way for a cosplayer to really get creative! I've always been all for it. I only had to do an original design once, having been selected to be the mascot for MetroCon last year, and it was a lot of fun. You get to put all the things you want into a character - chose the personality, the design, colors, etc. You don't have to abide to any set design, so it's sometimes easier this way, as well - you call the shots.

However, I believe original concepts should at least have effort put into them. When you are given so much creative license, why hold back and just throw on a shirt and Naruto headband and pouch? The sky is the limit with imagination, and there are so many ideas to come up with for any original design. I have one original design I really want to bring to life someday, though I haven't made any sketches I do have a mental image of what I want it to look like and it's nothing short of amazing (if I do say so myself). It's new, it's different, it's attractive, and it's a project that will challenge me. I think original concepts should fall under those types of categories.

One good sign of a good original piece is when people ask you what series you are from, or what artwork. At least, I think so - it shows that people actually think your design is something intriguing (I guess that's the best way to put it...ugh, I suck at explanations, lol).

Gaara-Sephiroth
06-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, it actually depends on the person......sometimes it's creative but it can also be a waste of time......or atleast look like a waste of time. I've heard if some that were really creative but others that people just made so they could wear a costume and there was no creativity whatsoever.

Danzikumaru
06-05-2007, 04:48 PM

The wife and I are planning on some original characters here pretty soon based off of old stories we used to write before we knew eachother. We eventually got to talking about them, realized they'd look excellent paired together and decided we should cosplay them at some point.

Plus, the costumes we are doing for Anime Expo are original designs as well based off of Ikkicon's mascot, Riot. It's mostly for promotional purposes, but will still be a lot of fun.

Ghost613
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
My original character that i'm working on, umeko tsumitbito, has kind of a funny story behind her. she started when my friend michele decided that the time was ripe for a black cat/ yu yu hakusho rp on gaia. thus, a sweeper who lives in the spirit world was born (I know, o_O). with original characters, i like to take time to create them and get to know who they are before wondering what they look like, because by that time i already have a pretty good idea. and i like to have one item that will challenge me, like a wig or a, in this case, trench coat.

Baka
06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Sometimes creativity is tested... and it becomes even better than what the original series intended... You ask yourself questions like... "What if? Or how about...this?" Things you might have wanted to come out in the series... All of these things are painted on this new canvas we call... "original characters"...

P.S. But yea sometimes they do come out horrible... but it is fun if you put some effort into it...

ChibiToon
06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I have been really tempted recently to do one of my characters from an original story of mine. I love the story to death... it's my favorite among my many stories. It involves an ongoing battle between Heaven and Hell, however there is so much going on in the story that I'm just going to leave the plot discription there. o.o;; Most of the characters are "existing" angels and demons, but with my own twist to them.

One such original character that I'm planning is my version of Lilith. She is very evil and her gown is very colorful. It will be fun to walk around quietly looking nearly insane. XD (Villains are just fun to cosplay, period. :bigtu: )

BTW... 'cause I just thought of it... No, my story is no where close to being like Angel Sanctuary. ^_^;;

CT

iEvani
06-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Original characters are a lot of fun. Despite razor ramon hard banana combining two well known characters the mere fact that it can be done in a form of originality is enticing. Cosplay should embrace original costumes due to their unique nature, despite no one knowing who you are. :-p

starlet_flower
06-06-2007, 12:16 AM
i base it on artwork that i draw, or original fiction i write. then i throw in a bit of my favorite anime/game character to finish it.

Dragonmun
06-06-2007, 10:54 AM
This topic makes me want to cosplay my D&D character Kesra Kyse. She's a paladin. I'll have to figure out the chainmail though....

Chainmail isn't so hard to make as it is tedious. Basically you get a good sturdy wire (something that won't bend very easily - often found in the fencing section of any hardware store) and wind it around a thin pole (since we use steel wire, we kind of turned this pole into a crank).

Once you've got a nice tight "soring" you clip off little circle and connect them together with pliers. There are various styles for this part, but I think the basics would get your where you need.
^_~

There's a nice tutorial for it found here:
http://users.frii.com/dnorris/maillearmor.html

Volnixshin
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
All of my Costumes aside from Venom (and even then) are ALL original.

Kesra
06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Chainmail isn't so hard to make as it is tedious. Basically you get a good sturdy wire (something that won't bend very easily - often found in the fencing section of any hardware store) and wind it around a thin pole (since we use steel wire, we kind of turned this pole into a crank).

Once you've got a nice tight "soring" you clip off little circle and connect them together with pliers. There are various styles for this part, but I think the basics would get your where you need.
^_~

There's a nice tutorial for it found here:
http://users.frii.com/dnorris/maillearmor.html

I think you just made my dreams come true for cosplaying this character

Dragonmun
06-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I think you just made my dreams come true for cosplaying this character

Hehe. I'm glad. ^.^

If you need help with anything else, go ahead an post it here. Why not turn this into a help thread as much as it is a discussion thread?

Baka
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Hehe. I'm glad. ^.^

If you need help with anything else, go ahead an post it here. Why not turn this into a help thread as much as it is a discussion thread?

Good Idea I put that in the main thread question...

Sonic Man
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Two words: Sonic Man!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Orgo65/SonicMan-1.jpg ...and this is what he looks like. Basically, Sonic Man is a self-portrait and a hero based off of me.

As of yesterday, I've sent my materials to a friend's seamstress who makes costumes for a livin', and hope to have it all ready before the 22nd.

CyberSalsa
06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm doing an original design for AWA 13. I also (kinda) did one for it last year. It wasn't intentional though. Oh, and I did an SNJ version of Kiba from Naruto. It was kinda an oc.

RosyPosy
06-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I've never technically cosplayed, but I make random props. Its gotten to the point where I make up characters to go with the props XD. It's mostly Naruto though and everytime I bring it up in a convo, every one gets all " o.O; "-y and then completely ignore me. :(

Baka
06-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I've never technically cosplayed, but I make random props. Its gotten to the point where I make up characters to go with the props XD. It's mostly Naruto though and everytime I bring it up in a convo, every one gets all " o.O; "-y and then completely ignore me. :(

Don't worry if it makes u feel better I wont ignore ya!

Starre
06-16-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm planning on cosplaying some of the original characters from my own stories. The stories are not fanfics, I don't write fanfics (not to be negative towards people who do, I read fanfics, I just don't write them).

Last year at Otakon, someone I know from another website did a panel on her original story and some of her friends cosplayed as her characters. I thought that was awesome.

Baka
06-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm planning on cosplaying some of the original characters from my own stories. The stories are not fanfics, I don't write fanfics (not to be negative towards people who do, I read fanfics, I just don't write them).

Last year at Otakon, someone I know from another website did a panel on her original story and some of her friends cosplayed as her characters. I thought that was awesome.

That is so freakn' cool you should do somehing like that!

Sonic Man
06-16-2007, 12:37 PM
It's even more fun when doing this stuff with friends. Aahhhhh, just thinking that this time next week, I'll be hanging out with friends at my first con excites me.

Baka
06-16-2007, 01:40 PM
It's even more fun when doing this stuff with friends. Aahhhhh, just thinking that this time next week, I'll be hanging out with friends at my first con excites me.

Ur right it is... what convention's are u going to?

Sonic Man
06-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm going to the El Paso Anime Convention (EPAC '07) which is right where I live.

Baka
06-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm going to the El Paso Anime Convention (EPAC '07) which is right where I live.

Nice its far from me though mabye ill go one of these years I'm heading to texas this summer like next month mabye ill stop by el paso

Kairi2008
06-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Original Costumes and Cosplay are Great...if only i had the time to make them.....i would be making TONS and TONS of them!!!

Arigato!
=^.^=

Baka
06-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Original Costumes and Cosplay are Great...if only i had the time to make them.....i would be making TONS and TONS of them!!!

Arigato!
=^.^=

hell yeah!!!!

Sonic Man
06-20-2007, 09:53 AM
HEAR HERE!! I'm still waiting on mine to be competed...and hopefully before the Con, which is TWO DAYS AWAY!!! ...ARGH!!! My Seamstress had to tell me she was barely touching my materials YESTERDAY!! You could imagine how panicked I felt. I'm still panicking, but I've chilled out some.

Ayako121
06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I have many ideas for my own OC the problem is the outfit changes almost everyday.

Ayako121
06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
So instead i want to make Older Hinata into my owm character well i wouldnt change much but hair and maybe the coloring of the clothing. Im alredy getting pics of the internet and putting them together....this may take a while ^_^'

Baka
06-23-2007, 12:13 PM
So instead i want to make Older Hinata into my owm character well i wouldnt change much but hair and maybe the coloring of the clothing. Im alredy getting pics of the internet and putting them together....this may take a while ^_^'

Thats koo it works...

Note: Try not to post one after another, you can edit your previous post to make further comments, okay.

Hyuuga Tenten
06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I've made my OC, its just not finished. But, it's great fun decideing on the outfit. I've got old pic of her I drew and I put it up to the most recent one and I relize the tiny things I've changed and added. It's great fun.

If you want to see the pic I have up so far ots in my gallery titled 'Incara' as I said some things are missing like the metal heart chain necklace and the hair tail but for the most part its done ^_^

(SiN)
06-25-2007, 02:32 AM
i've seen ppl dress up as their gaia avatars, without the makeshift hats that make it gaia. do those count?

and whenever i hear "original characters" i can only think of master zero whom i met back in 2003.

and i agree its funny to tell someone what series your "character" is from, and ppl try to act like they heard of it, and u go on to tell the plot and they go "oh really? i need to find that series!"

Sonic Man
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Guilty!

My costume was ready the night before the con and the seamstress drove to my house to drop it off and all I can say is she did an awesome job!! I had an AWESOME time at the Con and I plan to go to more Cons in the future. As for my Costume?? It's still a prototype, so there's much work to be done on it.

Moonlit Child
06-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Over next semester I'm going to be working on the costumes for the zombie horror movie I've been working on. It's gonna be fun because I get to make a few of those totally outlandishly embroidered yakuza coats that I am in no way ready to attempt. I also need to design a few generic schoolgirl outfits as well as a cooperate/military/tactical uniform.

ichigo-chan7
06-28-2007, 01:19 PM
well....as much as oc's annoy me in fanfics (yes i love fanfics) i love to see them around, like fairies, or naruto or final fantasy "extras" n stuff. i have a few oc's that im planning costumes for, its fun because you can make them up and tweak them as you go along, you can change the hair or add a sword or whatever and its fine:bigtu: keep the OC's coming!

CyberSalsa
07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Oh, I'm almost finished with my current costume. It's still got some hem work to be done, and then I need jewelry. I'm thinking some headgear would work.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j288/esrodeyl/b.jpg?t=1184286658

There's some linkage to a work in progress picture. It's not the clearest in the world.

After I finish it, I want to start on my Freak Parade characters. I think that'll be uber fun-ness.

Baka
08-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh, I'm almost finished with my current costume. It's still got some hem work to be done, and then I need jewelry. I'm thinking some headgear would work.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j288/esrodeyl/b.jpg?t=1184286658

There's some linkage to a work in progress picture. It's not the clearest in the world.

After I finish it, I want to start on my Freak Parade characters. I think that'll be uber fun-ness.

It looks pretty good! Wow!

sakura_uchiha12
08-11-2007, 01:42 PM
It's always great to see there are other people making original characters' cosplay. Me and a few friends, we started doing it and the people whom we used to cosplay us almost litterally snobbed us. (Well, my friends started and I joined the year after, really...)

Anyway, this year I couldn't afford it, so I'll be wearing an old costume...but, KEEP 'EM COMING! It'S great to see what can be created from people's imagination!!!

Here's my original costume (made by my friend):

http://images.cosplay.com/photos/84/843723.jpg
http://images.cosplay.com/photos/84/843724.jpg
http://images.cosplay.com/photos/84/843716.jpg

Baka
09-19-2007, 06:45 PM
hey whats up everyone having fun discussing this... i havent been on in a while whats new?

sephygoth
09-20-2007, 11:36 AM
i make original charas. all the time, most o them i based after an anime/manga/game,
yeah, its like an alter ego/personality you've wanted to show off finally or eventually.
<- avatar.....attepmt at good crossplay

Baka
09-20-2007, 12:41 PM
yeah, its like an alter ego/personality you've wanted to show off finally or eventually.
<- avatar.....attepmt at good crossplay

It's a new way of artistic expression!!!:rockon:

Arakain
09-25-2007, 07:00 AM
well *pokes* i larp a lot, Live action roleplaying for those who do not now what it means >.o,
currently i'm playing a Half-dragon fire mage/healer, along with my boyfriend who's going to be a weaponmaster, that's all i know for now >.o, the meanie..

anyways..., since i do that i have lots of orginal costumes, i say it's more fun then making one of some anime/mange/whatever.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1273564 my half dragon, though i do not wear the tail and have more weapons on me, and i miss the make up and my ears, well those dragons ears >.<, and so much more, i say it's like...90% done, so wooh, onto my bf's char~

Baka
09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
well *pokes* i larp a lot, Live action roleplaying for those who do not now what it means >.o,
currently i'm playing a Half-dragon fire mage/healer, along with my boyfriend who's going to be a weaponmaster, that's all i know for now >.o, the meanie..

anyways..., since i do that i have lots of orginal costumes, i say it's more fun then making one of some anime/mange/whatever.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1273564 my half dragon, though i do not wear the tail and have more weapons on me, and i miss the make up and my ears, well those dragons ears >.<, and so much more, i say it's like...90% done, so wooh, onto my bf's char~
*hugs* You resurrected my thread yay! Lets talk a little more about it!!! Whats up guys?!?!?

RinnyTinTinny
09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm A Pirate !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/PhiaOlean/Pictures/2006_0326AnimeDetour060010.jpg

and also I did a Wrath/Pheonix costume...I was a physical manifestation of wrath and then I was like add feathers!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/PhiaOlean/Pictures/AnimeDetour07027.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/PhiaOlean/Pictures/AnimeDetour07028.jpg

I like doing alot of decon/recon for my costumes so tearing apart old ugly prom dresses is usually how I go about my original designs, I just feel like there's more room for error or changing up your plans

Baka
09-27-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm A Pirate !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/PhiaOlean/Pictures/2006_0326AnimeDetour060010.jpg

and also I did a Wrath/Pheonix costume...I was a physical manifestation of wrath and then I was like add feathers!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/PhiaOlean/Pictures/AnimeDetour07027.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/PhiaOlean/Pictures/AnimeDetour07028.jpg

I like doing alot of decon/recon for my costumes so tearing apart old ugly prom dresses is usually how I go about my original designs, I just feel like there's more room for error or changing up your plans

Thats awesome!

RinnyTinTinny
10-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks! I'm toying with an idea for a waterfall costume but I'm not sure how I want to go about it.

Anyone have Ideas?

Baka
10-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks! I'm toying with an idea for a waterfall costume but I'm not sure how I want to go about it.

Anyone have Ideas?

Show me if you have any sketches!!! maybe I could help you brainstorm...

RinnyTinTinny
10-14-2007, 09:45 PM
yea I should scan the one I have... I also am toying with a marie antoinette idea

Punkbuster
10-15-2007, 04:17 AM
I use to mbrp and had a bunch of orig characters, but the one I used the most looked like Sailor V except with bright red hair and brown eyes. Currently one of my friends and I were going to do a pair of oc's that looked like they're based off Chii/Freya, even though they aren't.
She's doing a pale lavender and white sweet loli dress, parasol, and cat ears w/ tail.
I'm doing a punk/goth-ish black with neon green tattered raver-ish top, mini tutu, and leg warmers with Bunny ears and tail with a pair of small bat wings.

Baka
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I use to mbrp and had a bunch of orig characters, but the one I used the most looked like Sailor V except with bright red hair and brown eyes. Currently one of my friends and I were going to do a pair of oc's that looked like they're based off Chii/Freya, even though they aren't.
She's doing a pale lavender and white sweet loli dress, parasol, and cat ears w/ tail.
I'm doing a punk/goth-ish black with neon green tattered raver-ish top, mini tutu, and leg warmers with Bunny ears and tail with a pair of small bat wings.

Thats interesting... Why don't you show us some pic's of how its going to end up looking!!! PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Master Zero
10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
My question is: Will it ever be accepted as legitimate cosplaying?

sephygoth
10-18-2007, 06:11 AM
nice throw in MZ

hopefully not, else anything is cosplaying just by assuming you're another character ...
>>>look, I'm cosplaying Jack Bauer from 24! because 40 million business guys in suits "cosplay" every day.<<<<< end sarcasm
To solve all this, its good practice to limit con competitions to actual characters, even tho some cosplayers have probably made outrageous original characters :angel:

Master Zero
10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Interesting Obvs. Dizzy.

Baka
10-19-2007, 09:07 PM

Well... the general classification given to Original characters are people that wanted to follow the crowed so just put some random stuff together and called it a cosplay(newbies) and mabye even based it on a anime... lets say... naruto put on a freakn headband, some flip flops, and shorts... "bam" ur a ninja... hell noo!!!! uber offensive to us to our real original characters, that we worked at and took weeks of hard work, determination, designing, planning, blood, sweat, and tears... then debut it at our next convention!!!

The only way that it might be accepted and be able to surpass the stereotype of original character cosplay... is if "we" as original character cosplayers... redefine it and reclassify it under a new name. Then and only then will we get the respect we deserve.

My new classification name you might ask!!! "Causative Cosplay"

Irate Cosplay
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Ah, original character cosplay.

I currently have a book in the works that I've been dying to cosplay from. My trouble has been that the main character is mostly a vampire, meaning street clothing, fangs and contacts. Not all that exciting. One of her versions towards the end of the book, however, involves her face, neck, and back being badly burned along with the emergence of a set of horns and bat-like wings from her lower back. It's going to be nearly impossible with my skill level, but I'm hoping all of the time and effort to make a realistic, kick ass costume will over set the views of people who think that original = closet raid crappy.

Baka
10-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Well... the general classification given to Original characters are people that wanted to follow the crowed so just put some random stuff together and called it a cosplay(newbies) and mabye even based it on a anime... lets say... naruto put on a freakn headband, some flip flops, and shorts... "bam" ur a ninja... hell noo!!!! uber offensive to us to our real original characters, that we worked at and took weeks of hard work, determination, designing, planning, blood, sweat, and tears... then debut it at our next convention!!!

The only way that it might be accepted and be able to surpass the stereotype of original character cosplay... is if "we" as original character cosplayers... redefine it and reclassify it under a new name. Then and only then will we get the respect we deserve.

My new classification name you might ask!!! "Causative Cosplay"

You inspired me so I made a whole thread dedicated to this type of cosplay! Check it out.

Punkbuster
10-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Thats interesting... Why don't you show us some pic's of how its going to end up looking!!! PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I've got drawing board sketches right now! I'm so excited, but kinda worried that it won't get all done. I like having craft/cosplay days and I need more of them! I can see about posting a pic of my drawing, but it's kinda, well, junkie. XD

Baka
10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I've got drawing board sketches right now! I'm so excited, but kinda worried that it won't get all done. I like having craft/cosplay days and I need more of them! I can see about posting a pic of my drawing, but it's kinda, well, junkie. XD

Don't worry about that!!! We have very creative minds here... and look at thinks from a different perspective than the norm. I'm all exited now!!! lol