PDA

View Full Version : Larva's mask/hands

Neon Genocide
07-31-2002, 10:24 AM
The next costume I am working on is Larva from Vampire Princess Miyu. Iím pretty sure I can create his cloak, but Larva's mask and hands have proven to be difficult to create. Any ideas would be appreciated.

shiroi_yukiko
07-31-2002, 11:43 AM
I was just looking at a picture and I noticed that his hands look an awful lot like gloves...They've got black lines where the seams on gloves would fall after all. So for the hands you could probably manage with some white gloves (elbow-length). For the fingernails you could just buy some fake ones, paint 'em red and glue them on. You could probably paint on the details, really carefully.
As for the mask... at some craft stores you can get a plain, white plastic, full-face mask. As for the details on the mask itself... paint?... I have no idea!

Madmann
07-31-2002, 01:43 PM
paper mache for mask maybe or a mardi gras mask.

Ayaka
07-31-2002, 05:43 PM
Go with what Warumono said about the gloves, that will work great.

Yeah, you could try using a plastic mask, but you might have some difficulty getting it to stick to the plastic. They're cheap, give that a try. If it doesn't work, you could always make a mask of your own face in plaster strip (get a friend to help, make sure you have your hair covered with a shower cap, and coat your skin with vaseline), then model over it with more plaster strip to get it how you want it. Then you can use the fine plaster and/or Gesso over top, and sand it a little to get a nice smooth finish. You can also use a transparent gloss sealer over top if you want the final version shiny.

There might be some way to use fabric . . . then it would be more breathable . . .

Cynthia
07-31-2002, 08:28 PM
I suggest you either do the store bought mask-Joanns has some in stock all year around. Or the paper mache.

For the paper mache you can do the "boy scout" method*. Which basically means get a latex balloon, blow it up to about the size of your head, and then apply strips of torn newspaper to the balloon that have been soaked in a 1 part glue/3 parts water mixture. Continue to apply to the balloon until you have achieved the desired thickness. Also apply the paper to cover the amount of surface on the balloon that you'd want the mask to cover your face (essential the balloon is the mold for your head). Once finishing the above steps, leave the balloon out to dry. After it's dried, pop the balloon and peel it away from the mask. Now you may trim the edges, paint, or add more paper to areas to further define the mask.

*I joke its the boy scout method because I learned it in boy scouts. No, I was never actually a member-I was a girl scout-but I attend enough of my older brother's meetings, and now my younger brother's too, to gain honorary scout status.

Neon Genocide
08-02-2002, 05:47 PM
nice, maybe now I can get started on it. Anybody else with anymore ideas?

Mei Lan Chang
08-03-2002, 12:52 AM
If you are a little tight on cash, almost all craft stores have cheep plastic masks. Why not paint it heavily so it while have that more face tight look of being the shape of your face and then glue card board behind one of the eyes (one of his eyes is closed off as I am sure you have seen with dismay) and then paint over that too with his eye colors. I would recomend acrylic paint, which all craft stores carry as well. If you have extra money, go with the plaster idea. And I am so happy you are doing a Larva!! He is so hot. I want to make a Miyu costume....someday. *looks at huge list of characters she wants to make costumes of*

Neon Genocide
08-06-2002, 03:39 PM
thanks for all the ideas everyone.. :D

lulu
08-07-2002, 03:48 AM
The glove idea is great. As for the mask, I saw on the internet that someone did a Larva mask and it came out great. They bought a plastic mask and then got some clay and put it on the mask to give it the stronger features his mask has, then just painted it. It looked great...