PDA

View Full Version : Red Eye, and the Evils of It

feytaline
03-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I have a problem.

My eyes are huge. Okay, so that's not REALLY a problem, until it comes to photography. In every picture of me taken with a flash, I have red eye that puts demon Inu-Yasha to shame.

Naturally, my first response is "Don't use a flash!" but... this will sound odd... even when I DON'T use a flash, I get a ton of shine in my eyes--thankfully it's not red, or that would creep me out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this? Should I pose differently? Is there a camera setting I can change (I have a Saumsung 3.2 Megapixel digimax 301)?

And how about editing it out? What is the easiest way to go about this?

Thank you for your time!

Li-chan

skypirate
03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Thes links might help.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=63300&highlight=reduction

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=67589&highlight=reduction

Also, there's photographer that has been developing a clip on prismatic difusor for point and shoots.

Christy McGrath
03-12-2006, 11:36 AM
This used to be a problem for so many people, luckily, there are things you can do about it nowadays :)

Get the photographer to use the 'red-eye reduction' mode on the camera - this means that just before the pic is taken, the camera produces a series of mini-flashes that make your pupils smaller, reducing red-eye.

Alternatively, pose outside in sunlight, where flash isn't needed.

Or, you could use a program like Photoshop to delete the red-eye effect.

If you don't have access to that kind of program, you're welcome to email your pics to me and I'll sort them out for you for free. My email is: McGrath_Christy@hotmail.com

Hope all goes well! :)

staereo
03-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Many people dont like using the red eye reduction on cameras for 2 reasons. One, the idea behind a red eye reduction flash is that it fires that first flash off, as said, in order to close your pupils as much as possible, so that when the picture flash fires, it will have less area to reflect off the recepters in the back of your eyes. The down side to this is that you get a false look in the eyes, as the pupils end up much smaller than they ought to be. Perhaps a small detail, but one in which many people would prefer not to have.

The other problem that derives from red eye pre flash is there are many people that blink to that flash and end up with a picture of closed eyes. Or, if taking a picture of people that dont know about the pre flash, without warning, they may assume the picture is over after the preflash and will start falling out of pose before the picture is taken. Usually they dont get far.. just far enough to through your picture off.

The solution is found by examining how a reflection is made. Get a flashlight and stand in front of a mirror. put the flashlight RIGHT NEXT to your eye. Shine it in the mirror. STRAIGHT and LEVEL. Youll notice it nearly blinds you. Now, move the flashlight a foot away/above from your eye and try again. straight and level. Youll notice far less glare coming at your eye.

Well if the flashlight is your flash, and your eye is the lens, and the mirror is what would be the back of your eye, the red, then you can see how moving a flash further away from the lens helps to cure the problem.

Another thing you can try is put a white piece of paper in front of the flashlight. Youll notice less light, but also less glare.

These factors work with your camera. Moving your flash, or light source, away from your lens greatly reduces the chance of redeye. ALSO, putting a piece of thin, white (or other color for neat effect) paper diffuses your flash. While youll have to make sure youre closer to your subject, because the flash will not shine as much light when it fires, it will diffuse the harsh spot effect of your flash and perhaps lower your chance for getting red eye reflection showing up in your pictures.

Hope I helped,
Bruce

SolarTempest
03-17-2006, 01:26 AM
A free way to get decent red-eye reduction with compact cameras is to take pictures after the other photographers (provided there are some). If they've used flash, their light will cause the pupils of your subject to constrict, thus eliminating the necessity for you to use slower and commonly unpredictable picture-taking delays with camera red-eye reduction.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this? Should I pose differently?

If you're getting lots of red eye still, try to not look directly into the camera. It'll be harder for the light to reflect off your retina back at the camera (although it is often inevitable).

stefaniecat
03-17-2006, 02:00 PM
... A bit of a side note, but as a user of Photoshop 7 who just recently got to see the Red-Eye Reduction Tool in Photoshop CS... wow...

... Also, I recomend trying the diffuser over your flash when you use it - In my case the flash is pop-up so I take a tissue and a clear hair claw and just wrap and clamp. Then I also have tissues for runny noses, sneezing, etc. with me ^^

If you're getting red-eye without flash though, I'm baffled. Listen to some other experts lol... But since red-eye is caused by light (usually from flash) reflection, I'd wager it has something to do with the way the light hits your eyes even if the light is natural.... which means a lot of experimentation on your part.

kitsunered
03-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm one of those weird people who gets red-eye whether flash is used or not. I have no idea why though. If anyone can figure it out, I'd be really greatful to hear any suggestions on what I could do to prevent it.

staereo
03-20-2006, 04:48 AM
kitsune- Unless you have literally RED eyes when viewed normally, and I have yet to see this, red eye is caused from the reflection of light against the back of your eyes. The blood vessels in the back of your eyes are lit up by the light coming through the lens of your eyes.

This doesnt have to come in the form of a flash, but can be any light source which is in a close to same angle as the camera that is taking your picture. The sun, a lightbulb, etc can all lead to red eye. Even reflections of light that enter your eye can cause the same thing.

Changing the angle of that light thats hitting the back of your eyes will change how your eyes appear. If you read the tips I wrote a few posts above, and apply them to ANY light source, not just the flash, you will find that your red eye problem is corrected.

Try it out, let me know,
Bruce