PDA

View Full Version : Which hotel will you be staying at for Dragon*Con?

Darth Takeo
03-03-2006, 02:14 PM
We're returning to the Marriott. It seemed most centralized and the choice of places to eat was excellent.

Where do you plan to stay and why there?

halafax
03-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Im in the hiton...

Darth Takeo
03-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Any reason for picking the Hilton or just cuz?

Only curious since they're all virtually the same price, plus since we've only been to one Dragon*Con so far, wanted to see if there were any advantages/disadvantages to the other hotels...

halafax
03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
its easier to get in and out, though the lack of elevators is a pain. But you dont have to deal with ppl playing drunken games in elevators...it was cheaper last year

kitsunered
03-03-2006, 04:44 PM
We're staying in the Mariott.

I personally hate staying in the Hyatt because the staff is rude, it's usually so crowded it takes half an hour to get anywhere, it's loud, the wait for the elevators can take forever, etc.

I like staying in the Mariott because, even during the day when the dealers room and art show and various panels are running, it's still pretty quiet and it's easy to get to just about anywhere.

I actually considered staying in the Hilton this year since gaming has been moved over there and I'm trying to run a game at the convention. However, they wanted a fairly large deposit upon reservation and I wasn't pleased with that. I didn't know they didn't have an elevator, so now I'm really glad I didn't book a room there. Due to knee and arch problems, I can't walk up and down flights of stairs easily. How on earth do they make the hotel accessable to handicapped people?

halafax
03-03-2006, 04:55 PM
the elevators come, its just if you are dealing with props it can be a pain. THough I like the lack of crowds the hilton.I am thinking about running a game this year too....Look for Beyond The Grave at con, that will be me...

TechieCL
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Marriott for me for the fourth year in a row. ^_^ its good to have family that has platinum rewards status to book the room.

fightstar
03-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Marriott all the way. I already have my room booked. Just need to get my membership purchased and get my friends to do the same. I love the look and feel of the Marriott. I will admit getting out of there when the con is over is a bit tricky, but what else is new?

TheWickedOne
03-04-2006, 03:25 AM
some events have arisen that may actually keep me from the con, but they will have to try hard to insure the keep. i still have every intention of being there. if possible, it'll be the hyatt. i don't care about the elevators, i'll get a room on a low floor if possible, then take the stairs. i just want to be local to the constant party, and that's where it's at. that's where everything is going on at all hours, and i can deal with everything else, i just don't want to walk, and i want to party with all of my friends, so it'll help to have a room close by as disposal to any element of debauchery that may take place!

kitsunered
03-04-2006, 11:41 AM
the elevators come, its just if you are dealing with props it can be a pain. THough I like the lack of crowds the hilton.I am thinking about running a game this year too....Look for Beyond The Grave at con, that will be me...

Ah, okay. I thought you meant they didn't have elevators at all! Some of the older hotels in Atlanta don't, so I thought the Hilton might be in a similar state.

I'll look out for your game. I'm likely running one called the Minoan Society under the heading of Lurking Fear Productions, provided my bid is accepted.

reannaremick
03-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Marriott 4 eva. BFF. I loathe to even think about staying in the Hyatt again. *shudder*

halafax
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Ah, okay. I thought you meant they didn't have elevators at all! Some of the older hotels in Atlanta don't, so I thought the Hilton might be in a similar state.

I'll look out for your game. I'm likely running one called the Minoan Society under the heading of Lurking Fear Productions, provided my bid is accepted.

There arent many elevators in the Hilton, but they run faster than the ones int he mariotte. I tried getting my death hauler up in one, 30 mins later I was still waiting.....

stupid ppl....

If things go well I will be co DMing a Drow campagien for D & D 3.5...

joeranger
03-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Hilton, to be close to the bar...

Darth Takeo
03-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Hilton, to be close to the bar...
Don't you mean Hyatt...?

vampirate
03-12-2006, 12:49 PM
I <3 the Marriott. Staying at one of the non-con hotels is just too far away and too much trouble, especially once you take costumes into consideration. There's just way too much craziness/elevator issues going on at the Hyatt. If you do stay in the Hyatt though stay in one of the towers. The elevator issues are better over there than in the central location. And from the Marriott you still barely ever have to go outside to get to the Hyatt thanks to the "hamster trails". And then there's the entrances to both hotels that are across the street from each other. The Marriott is very nice and convienent. Oh, and my friends who has platinum rewards at the Marriott books our rooms, that's one of my reasons too.

Dany
03-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Wow. I guess saying I booked the Hyatt will get peaches thrown at me :)

Actually, I kind of wanted to be in the heart of things, after talking to some regular D*C goers that I know. That, and the rumor is that the Dawn Contest is in the Hyatt, and the less travel I have to do to get to that (especially in costume), the better.

Y'know, with all of you people flittering off to the Marriott and the Hilton, you just might end up leaving a little bit of extra room for us Hyatt-peeps.

TheWickedOne
03-15-2006, 02:08 AM
with the uncertainty of so many of my friends and i actually going this year... some of us may be staying at the super 8 down the road. we've stayed there before and the walk isn't that bad. we'll probably have friends in a con hotel and we'll keep a cooler with them if we can. not to mention, the cost of a room at the super 8 is almost impossible to beat! i just keep working with what i've got to go on right now...

DarkKefka
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Who needs a hotel when it takes you 15 minutes to get there??!!:toothy:

reannaremick
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Who needs a hotel when it takes you 15 minutes to get there??!!:toothy:

Me! But only because I'm too lazy to commute. Plus why pass up a chance to stay at the swanky Marriott Marquis once a year? ^_^ Not to mention the con never really stops, so I generally get about 2 hours of sleep a night, and driving on that little sleep is just dangerous, lol.

DarkKefka
03-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Me! But only because I'm too lazy to commute. Plus why pass up a chance to stay at the swanky Marriott Marquis once a year? ^_^ Not to mention the con never really stops, so I generally get about 2 hours of sleep a night, and driving on that little sleep is just dangerous, lol.
Well maybe if I didn't have to WORK!!!! It's labor day weekend, and I'll be working and attending the con at the same time. I MIGHT get a room so I can work in the mornings and go to the con in the evening without having to worry about going home and changing.

Darth Takeo
03-23-2006, 05:30 PM
the con never really stops
This is one of the sweetest aspects of Dragon*Con...

:rockon:

ringwraith10
04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I wanted to stay at the Marriott, but I decided to just get a room at the days inn... it's cheaper and hopefully will be less... busy... trying to get to and from the room.

ringwraith10
04-01-2006, 05:45 PM
This is one of the sweetest aspects of Dragon*Con...

:rockon:
Yep. :geek:

Dany
04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Not to mention the con never really stops, so I generally get about 2 hours of sleep a night, and driving on that little sleep is just dangerous, lol.

And this, ladies and germs, is why earplugs and an eye mask are on my 'must bring' list.

Mind you, this means that your cell phone alarm must be set for vibrate or you must have someone very reliable wake you, but hey, sleep is our friend!

Darth Takeo
04-04-2006, 02:40 PM
And this, ladies and germs, is why earplugs and an eye mask are on my 'must bring' list.

Mind you, this means that your cell phone alarm must be set for vibrate or you must have someone very reliable wake you, but hey, sleep is our friend!
Excellent idea, never thought of it! Going to sleep at 4am only to wake up at 7am is un-fun, not to mention last year with the construction at the Marriott, we were all trying to catch some z's around 2pm, only to have the rooms above us doing serious drilling... Earplugs would have helped immensely.

Have to add these items to Team Takeo's 'What to bring to conventions' checklist, with credit to Dany!
:bigtu:

a-tastic
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
heh heh...we're staying at the hilton, where we stayed last year...
moreso because we couldn't get the bedding assignments that we wanted at the marriott, and we don't like the hyatt...

but also because it's less crowded and the hilton has a really awesome restaurant. with real food.

this year we wised up, too, and got a boys room and a girls room to avoid any issues where my drunk guy friends trash my costumes because they're drunk and stupid.

so, if you see a completely plowed Burger King or V with an apron on wandering around, tell them to behave and stop with the beer already.

Dany
04-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Excellent idea, never thought of it! Going to sleep at 4am only to wake up at 7am is un-fun, not to mention last year with the construction at the Marriott, we were all trying to catch some z's around 2pm, only to have the rooms above us doing serious drilling... Earplugs would have helped immensely.

Have to add these items to Team Takeo's 'What to bring to conventions' checklist, with credit to Dany!
:bigtu:

Aw shucks :bashful:

Actually, this is the second time this week that I've suggested taking earplugs to conventions and people hadn't thought of it. Kind of weird that! But hey, I'm glad to have a contribution :D

TheDemon2300
04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
I wanted to stay at the Marriott again this year, but according to the DC site, the Marriott's all booked now. So, it's off to the Hyatt for this year. Hopefully it won't be as bad as some of the things I've been hearing about it.

Darth Takeo
04-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Wow, the Marriott went fast... Last year I didn't book til May I believe...

Dany
04-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Wow, the Marriott went fast... Last year I didn't book til May I believe...

Seems like a theme this year for some reason...hotels booking up waaaaaay in advance for some of the bigger cons. The city of San Diego is entirely booked up for ComicCon weekend, I hear. Might change as the deadline to drop rooms comes closer (because those definitely not going will not want the first night charged on their card), but still...realizing that you have to get hotel stuff resolved earlier and earlier for conventions over about 15k people...

Darth Takeo
04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Seems like a theme this year for some reason...hotels booking up waaaaaay in advance for some of the bigger cons. The city of San Diego is entirely booked up for ComicCon weekend, I hear. Might change as the deadline to drop rooms comes closer (because those definitely not going will not want the first night charged on their card), but still...realizing that you have to get hotel stuff resolved earlier and earlier for conventions over about 15k people...
It's really a pain to book late only to get a hotel a few blocks from the con area, then have to walk, plus feels like you're detached from the con too, somehow... We've gone through that one too many times which is why I book everything way in advance now, even if we're not sure whether or not we'll attend. Most hotels have 24-48 hr cancellation policies, and we always decide well prior if we are going to use the reservation or not.

Hikaruchan
04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
We are trying out the Hilton this year.

My sister doesn't like the Marriott(room had 1 year there was a bit small but I was okay with it). I don't like the Hyatt(elevator hell, then small room in tower other time). AmeriSuites used last couple of years service was bad last year. Days Inn was okay when not in costume, but a bit too far with rain chances + costume(plus the walk uphill to con), but there is a good place to eat attached to it.

Arlette
04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I think we're in the Hyatt this year because in the past that's the hotel where everything happens at night. We did Marriott the past two years and both times the hotel itself has screwed us over moneywise. Two years ago they locked us out of the room in the middle of the day on Friday (or maybe it was Saturday) because they said we hadn't paid for the room even though you usually pay any remaining balance at CHECK OUT which wasn't for another day! Then last year they double charged my friend's debit card making her overdraw at the bank by like $2000 after all the fees and stuff, even though she had collected cash from everyone and was going to pay that way. They only had her debit card to hold the room. She was in tears and it took hours for her to find anyone to actually help fix it for her.

So, in closing...screw the Marriott.

Vespertinal
04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
My friends and I will be staying at The Hyatt once again due to a reservation problem with Marriott; the preference I asked for was not documented in their system. That's alright though, I normally stay at the Hyatt for Dragon*Con, so it's no big deal.

:skidude2:

Darth Takeo
04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Chances are that any of the 'big three' hotels are a good choice.

QueenAleta
06-24-2006, 12:39 AM
best western, it's cheaper.

Tenel Ka
06-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Definitely the Marriott. The elevators in the Hyatt = hell. -__-

Space Invader
06-26-2006, 12:05 AM
I booked a room in the Hilton :).

AshleyV
06-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Best Western at the Peachtrees. It's cheap, close, and who doesn't love free breakfast

limebarb
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
hey, everyone. :D Me and Jia Crens are considering going to Dragoncon this year - but we've never been there and don't know the area. o_O We wanted to know if anyone was interested in splitting a room with us. We haven't booked a room yet, which means it wouldn't be in the main 3 hotels, I guess... unless by the grace of god we can get in. Does anyone have any advice or wanna help us out? We thought the forum would be a good place to start. :D

Blade Redwind
07-12-2006, 08:36 PM
...Hyatt. XD My boyfriend's uncle is working on the audio/visual stuff there so we're staying courtesy him. Plus we're doubling up with a friend for the ride and pay minimal gas fund. So double fun.

Rukia_Kurosaki
07-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Marriott. It's the best place if you're on the Concierge floors. Free food, better than the Con Suite's ^^

keri1966
07-21-2006, 02:35 AM
Best Western at the Peachtrees. It's cheap, close, and who doesn't love free breakfast

Stayed there my first year at Dragon Con and didn't care for it. Air Conditioning unit was pathetic, plus old fashioned motel type rooms- doors to open air walkways, doors seemed kind of flimsy, just didn't feel too safe for a woman by herself.

Switched to Amerisuites and liked it the first year, but service was bad last year so switching to Hilton. As my sister said, tried Marriot one year and I was totally disgusted by room size of a walk in closet for $150 a night with no amenities. Hopefully the Hilton's rooms will be somewhat larger.

We're going to stay a couple of days extra after the con, looking for a hotel within easy driving distance to Books Japan (I like to go there while in Atlanta to get more recent manga in the various series that I'm following) that is reasonably priced and not a motel. (with a decent sized room) Going to book that hotel this weekend. Was looking for a hotel near the 6200 block of Peachtree Industrial Blvd but couldn't find anything online less than a couple of miles away- Perimeter hotels, did find one online actually on Peachtree Industrial Blvd but its a bit below the Perimeter. Anyone familar with that area have good hotel recommendations?

BelleChere
07-22-2006, 01:11 PM
My husband and I will be staying at Fairfield Inn. We just can't afford any of the con hotels (broke college kids!). Mapquest says it's only a couple blocks away, and I don't mind walking. Has anyone stayed here before? Travelocity gave it good reviews, and yay for continental breakfast and a guarded car garage!

Rukia_Kurosaki
07-22-2006, 09:28 PM
My husband and I will be staying at Fairfield Inn. We just can't afford any of the con hotels (broke college kids!). Mapquest says it's only a couple blocks away, and I don't mind walking. Has anyone stayed here before? Travelocity gave it good reviews, and yay for continental breakfast and a guarded car garage!

I've heard about it. My friend from school stayed there last year and said it was pretty nice. She also said the breakfast was good so you don't have to worry about that ^-^

Space Invader
07-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Barb! Me and my friends might have some crash space in our room, we have one in the Hilton. Lemme know if you guys are interested and I'll see if I can pull a few strings. ;)

----- EDIT:

Augh, nevermind. No room left.

QueenAleta
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I am looking for a female roommate to share a king room at best western inn at the peachtrees. The hotel is $107 a night reserved from thursday through sunday night. It includes a full cooked breakfast & is right down the street from the main hotels. Or I would be open to sharing a room with another female or females.

Jia Jem
07-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Queen Aleta: Limebarb and I would reaally like to go, as we've never been there before. I will talk to her tomorrow and PM you if you still have room. :)

Space Invader: That is too bad!!!! ;_; We were gonna ask you if we could impose, but apparently that isn't an option. I really hope we can go!

QueenAleta
07-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Queen Aleta: Limebarb and I would reaally like to go, as we've never been there before. I will talk to her tomorrow and PM you if you still have room. :)

Space Invader: That is too bad!!!! ;_; We were gonna ask you if we could impose, but apparently that isn't an option. I really hope we can go!

I still have a room. It is a king size bed though. however I can check & see if they have a roll away bed still available.

husher
08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
The Marriott all the way!

Fory-san
08-02-2006, 11:24 PM
I will be rooming at the Hilton with my gf and friend from work. ^.^

Cmdr. Voltaire
08-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Marriot Marquis thrusday thru monday!

Evil Dr. Axis
08-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Hyatt! That's where the party is after hours. Look for a stubling drunk wolverine, a staggering (more than normal) zombie, or a partially clad and far too happy Doomsday. :)

Cynthia
08-12-2006, 05:01 AM
I'll be in the Best Western at the Peachtrees

vamphunterx
08-13-2006, 01:49 AM

Me and my crew are in the Fairfield Inn as well. Its a good hotel, all I really care is that I have a place to sleep and to keep my cosplay stuff at.