PDA

View Full Version : "Dita from Chobits" or "How do you feel about original outfits for charas?"

Something Lulu
02-19-2003, 03:46 PM
I've got a question, which is really a matter of opinion. I know that a lot of people will cosplay a character and then make up original outfits for the character and then use them to cosplay. I think this is a great idea, but so far not something I have done. I'm working on a Dita costume that needs to be completed by AX, and the design I'm working from is her main(?) black one with the arm and leg bands and long coat thing. However, I have this dress that I added a bunch of accessories to and I think it would work as an alternate Dita costume, because it resembles her style and seems like something she'd wear. I'm thinking now that I might bring it along with me to AnimeBoston, or I might just wear it another time when I don't feel like wearing Dita's regular getup. My problem is that I feel like I'm just being lazy if I wear the "original" outfit before I even finish making the real one. Or that it's going to look like I was completely lazy by not even bothering to make her real outfit. >_<

What do you all think about original outfits? When you see a person cosplaying a chara in an original outfit at a con, do you think it's cool that they made their own interpretation or that they were too lazy to try and make an accurate rendition?

I've got 3 pics in my gallery of what I was thinking about wearing, but here's a direct link (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=22917&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500). (The wig still needs a little more work.)

Dia
02-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Personally, as long as they're done entirely in the appropriate style and, well, look good, I don't mind them at all. I tend to do a lot of original outfits for established characters - my Suu is my own design, plus French maid Ryoko. I say go for it ^_^

Troppy
02-19-2003, 09:07 PM
well everyone does original Chiis...I don't see why Dita should be different... I personally like your design better than normal Dita, it's elegant but evil...ooo, aahhh...

Speaking of Dita, does anyone have pics of the back of her default outfit? Either manga or anime? I didn't want to start a new thread since this one is already about the character.

Mandy Mitchell
02-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Cosplayers make original outfits from time to time. I made my original Team Rocket outfit. When it comes to Hall Cosplay, anything goes. If you plan to enter your original costume in a Masquerade, you should check the Masquerade rules. For Anime Expo, costumes have to be based off of characters in an existing anime, manga, or Japanese-inspired video game. For the Comic Con Masquerade, original costumes are welcomed.

Something Lulu
02-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Troppy
well everyone does original Chiis...I don't see why Dita should be different... I personally like your design better than normal Dita, it's elegant but evil...ooo, aahhh...

Speaking of Dita, does anyone have pics of the back of her default outfit? Either manga or anime? I didn't want to start a new thread since this one is already about the character.

I've got a screenshot from my cousin (Freya) of her back, and I could probably scan some pics from the manga if you want more.

Thanks for the advice guys, now I'm giving more serious thought to cosplaying Dita at ABoston. ^_^

Troppy
02-20-2003, 05:58 PM
wow, great pic! Thanks so much! I didn't realize the back got so thin...good thing I asked!

RoseDuelist
02-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Troppy

PM KaitouKurogo. I am working on a Chi costume there and all the pics I use to do it by I got from his computer. ^_^

Darn! There are too many Dita's now.. *looks at completed costume*... *cries*..

Just kidding...

RoseDuelist
02-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Bah.. sorry, didn't read the entire thread before responding.. ^^;;

Toka_pop
03-05-2003, 01:27 PM
I don't think its being lazy at all. I'm doing an original design for my Aisha Clan Clan costume for Anime Expo. I wanted to do it because so many people do her regular outfit and I wanted to be different. I think original designs are a sign of creativity. Go for it! ^_^

Troppy
03-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Toka_pop
I don't think its being lazy at all. I'm doing an original design for my Aisha Clan Clan costume for Anime Expo. I wanted to do it because so many people do her regular outfit and I wanted to be different. I think original designs are a sign of creativity. Go for it! ^_^

this a tad off topic, but you know what I'd like to see? Aisha's more obscure outfits...like the FireCat wrestler uniform, and her 2-3 waitressing outfits.

I'm all for original designs, but hey! Love needs to be shown to the obscure-already-existant designs of great characters like Aisha.

Can't wait to see your costume!

Ukayoru no Chou
03-05-2003, 05:07 PM
I know some people stick to , " your cosplaying, and to me or whatever, that means your trying to recreate a characters "costume". So, making an original outfit goes against this, and I don't tend to like it that much."
Or something like that, that's fine, I somewhat agree with it myself, but all in all, I don't care. ^_^; Just throwing that opinion out there as well :P

Sana-chan
03-05-2003, 06:03 PM
I've seen a lot of CCS original designs as well for Sakura's battle outfits, must be a CLAMP thing ^_^. I don't see anything wrong with it tho. I think it's cool to see what alternate designs people can come up with ^_^

Michi
03-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Your design looks very Dita-ish to me. Especially with sunglasses. Good job! I'd think you were Dita. :F Go chase down some Chii cosplayers to pose with and you're set. :D

Something Lulu
03-05-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm close to done with my regular Dita costume, so I think I'm just going to wear all her "accessories" (arm/leg bands, wide belts, sunglasses) with the dress and the fishnet. And if I can get my boyfriend to be Zima/Jima it should be okay. Thanks for the input everyone. ^_^

Iori Branford
03-06-2003, 07:01 AM
Yes, original outfits are fine. In fact, my catgirl-corrupted mind has spewed some pretty nonsensical shit (some of which has made its way onto my hard drive via my mouse hand and Paint Shop Pro):

- catgirl Tifa (don't ask, just...don't)
- catgirl Naru (I know, she is nothing like a cat)
- catgirl Nyamo (Azumanga) (neither is she)
- Hideki's teacher (Chobits) as a catgirl (there's that one dream sequence, so maybe that's excusable)
- I shouldn't go on. I'd be here all night.

yayahan
03-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Nyao, I'd say go for it, and please post pictures ^_^

Rosiel
03-17-2003, 04:44 PM
> I know some people stick to , " your cosplaying, and to me or whatever, that means your trying to recreate a characters "costume". So, making an original outfit goes against this, and I don't tend to like it that much."

Took the words right out of my mouth. ^__^

With Chii, she has 167 364 525 424 dresses so no one would notice if it's original or not, and the ears mark the character, so I don't think it's as much of an issue.

But I don't think I would recognize a Dita in anything other than her main costume. She's not unique enough on her own.

Karisu-sama
03-17-2003, 05:52 PM
I'd say go for it. It looks cool, and for hall cosplay, why not? Maybe you'll be recognized as Dita, if not enough and you don't like that, then wear a more "canon" version. Cosplay = wear a costume (and have fun!), anime-based or otherwise.

If you feel happy with it, do it. It's your costume.

Something Lulu
03-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Nyao, I'd say go for it, and please post pictures ^_^

I have a few photos of the general idea in this folder of my gallery: http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=3261&ppuser=633&papass=&thumb=1

I'm almost done with Dita's regular outfit, so I think I'm going to take the accessories from that and put them on the original one to see how it looks. (i.e. the large belts and arm/leg bands) My boyfriend might be coming with me to ABoston, and if he does I'm going to ask him to cosplay J/Zima. I also met a girl who will be cosplaying Chii there, so I figure if I'm in a group, ppl who know Chobits will know who I am, and if they don't...::shrugs:: at least I got some more use out of that dress.

Schu
03-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Isn't Dita a he?

~_~

Well, anyway I'd say go for it... but unless you're walking around with Dyta and Chii you probably won't get recognized. Depending on how far you stray from the original designs.... If you have the hair, the stripey legs and the flowey coat, you'd probably be fine.

It's sorta hard to recognize people in random clothes with plain wigs tho... the wig doesn't make the costume recognizeable if it's not styled a certain way. (like sailor moon or something).

but yes, do it, and takes pictures :)