PDA

View Full Version : Modern Kimono exhibition in Toronto (March 9 - April 2, 2006)

archangeli
03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Just found this today (it opens tonight) for anyone interested:

The Canadian premiere of Japanese Kimono designer Mamechiyo

Magic Pony would like to invite you to Mamechiyo : the Art of Kimono opening Thursday March 9th, 2006. Mamechiyo is a contemporary designer who has been revolutionary in redefining traditional Japanese dress. Her use of modern intertwined with tradition has resulted in a refreshing and unique interpretation of the kimono. Pulling inspiration from all around her, Tokyo-based Mamechiyo sources vintage fabrics, creates her own textiles and styles whimsical Kimono creations that are enthusiastically embraced by a new generation. Mamechiyo's flair for creating cutting-edge fashion centered around the Kimono has resulted in a resurgence of popularity in both the Kimono and traditional Japanese dress.

Celebrated throughout Japan for her textile design and kimono styling, Mamechiyo has only recently gained recognition in North America. 'Mamechiyo : the Art of Kimono' will be Mamechiyo's first solo exhibit in North America and her first appearance in Canada. The exhibit will combine photography, textiles and Japanese Kimono dress to create a fantastic portrayal of the exquisite world of Mamechiyo's Kimono. Mamechiyo is represented by Junko Wong of CWC Tokyo and CWC International New York.

Date & Time:
THURSDAY MARCH 9th 2006
from 6-10pm
Artist will be in attendance for the opening

694 Queen St. West
Toronto Ontario M6J 1E7

416-861-1684 or contact@magic-pony.com

www.magic-pony.com

There are a few pictures of her work on Magic Pony's website and it looks really interesting.

TribalButterfly
03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Woo! Tonight. Short notice. But sounds pretty cool for whoever can make it out there.

Eleryth
03-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Looks interesting, sorta like the stuff one sees in Kimono HIME magazine. I wish I could go.

Sarcasm-hime
03-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Argh, I can't make it to the opening tonight but I'm definitely going to check out the exhibit when I get a chance! ^_^

Chibik3r0
03-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Woo! Tonight. Short notice. But sounds pretty cool for whoever can make it out there.

Actually it runs through April 2nd, tonight just happens to be opening night, so you have plenty of time.

Machiko
03-15-2006, 11:52 PM
I went there this afternoon with my sister and a couple of our friends. We were in the neighbourhood and it was free, so why not?

It's small, a few kimonos on display and lots of photographs of Mamechiyo's work. Lots of decorated geta and zori slippers too. What's neat is that everything is available for sale (if you have the $$$).

Vicky
03-16-2006, 08:05 AM
for sale, eh?
i'll try to check it out, thanks for informing us ^^

Kohana
03-16-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm hoping to go next week... I have friends in graphic design that are dying to go, hopefully I can make it... thanx for the info!

Michiko chan
03-19-2006, 03:37 PM
The stuff is REALLY expensive. But it was so pretty~ I checked it out, and got a bunch of photos of everything. If anyone can't make it and still wants to see, I can upload the pictures to my cosplay.com gallery. ^^

VickyBunnyAngel
03-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the notice, I went a few days ago on my way to the Nutty Chocalatier, and the store is soo cute! I love the merchandise they sell. I like the display space and how the flooring was raised. Nice Exhibition.

Michiko chan
03-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the notice, I went a few days ago on my way to the Nutty Chocalatier, and the store is soo cute! I love the merchandise they sell. I like the display space and how the flooring was raised. Nice Exhibition.

I actually tripped over the flooring when I walked in. xD;

VickyBunnyAngel
03-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I actually tripped over the flooring when I walked in. xD;

awwww pooor you >.< I actually thought you weren't allowed in and had to look from the...normal leveled floor :P. My boyfriend thought we had to take off our shoes but the store clerk told us to walk right in lol

Lafiel
03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm going to check it out this weekend. I can't wait! :)

Michiko chan
03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
awwww pooor you >.< I actually thought you weren't allowed in and had to look from the...normal leveled floor :P. My boyfriend thought we had to take off our shoes but the store clerk told us to walk right in lol

I was being a crazy tourist and asking if I could take pictures and all that. xD

Did you see that painting of all the old Japanese men in school girl outfits? Priceless.

VickyBunnyAngel
03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
OHH yess that painting! rofl. Looked as if Japan was populated with old men with schoolgirl fetishes :P

Lafiel, when you go, make sure you see that painting! :D