PDA

View Full Version : Photoshoot with mirrored background

Ryo_
03-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey guys. My girlfriend and I are scheduling a photoshoot for her Lenne costume from FFX-2. The place she thought of, however, has a background composed of tons of mirrors (think those mirrored window panes you see in buildings).
Now my question is, are there any tips so that the ugly, unsightly photographer or the flash doesn't appear reflected on the mirrors? I've been thinking of taking the pictures at an angle, but there's still the risk of a stray flash or a blurry picture, not to mention a photo that might not be well centered.
Any tips?

cactusmomma
03-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Most cameras now have an option where you can turn the flash off. Maybe make sure there's a ton of lighting around to not need the flash?

Elemental
03-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Are you using a regular digital camera, or a digital SLR with an additional flash? If its the former, your best option is to use your zoom- stand away, zoom in, and take photos at oblique angles-
if it's the latter, angle your flasy up ot to the side and use a diffuser. I prefer the ultra-high-tech napkin held on with an elastic band, but you can use a commercial one as well. XD

And beware- most normal digicams do have a no flash mode but it will extend your shutter speed and give you camera blur. Use a tripod, and try to play with yoru manual settings to speed up your shutter without underexposing everything. :P

Ryo_
03-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Are you using a regular digital camera, or a digital SLR with an additional flash? If its the former, your best option is to use your zoom- stand away, zoom in, and take photos at oblique angles-
if it's the latter, angle your flasy up ot to the side and use a diffuser. I prefer the ultra-high-tech napkin held on with an elastic band, but you can use a commercial one as well. XD

And beware- most normal digicams do have a no flash mode but it will extend your shutter speed and give you camera blur. Use a tripod, and try to play with yoru manual settings to speed up your shutter without underexposing everything. :P
Regular digital.
Yeah, guess I will have to resort to oblique angles. Or hiding behind stuff.

Elemental
03-13-2006, 12:15 AM
What camera model? if it's a name brand I'm familliar with, I may be able to give you some advice.

And remember- if you're hiding behind things, how are you going to take the shot? XD

staereo
03-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Just block the lights from the following:

1) casting any light onto you. easily done by wrapping dense material or dense dark paper around the back of your lighting sources.

2) avoid any of the glass from forming a straight line between your flashes, your lens, and the lens => lens. That is, angle yourself such that the glass is at an angle to you, not flat, perpendicular to your shooting direction. Also, ensure your lighting isnt at an angle to reflect at your lens.

this is a good start at dealing with this issue.

Bruce

Ryo_
03-13-2006, 09:39 PM
What camera model? if it's a name brand I'm familliar with, I may be able to give you some advice.

And remember- if you're hiding behind things, how are you going to take the shot? XD
Sony Cybershot DSC-S90

Elemental
03-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Ok. Now, that model doesn't have a *lot* of manual control, but you do have a few things to help your shots turn out. What you want to do is get your hands on a tripod- a cheap, 20 dollar one (look for sales) will do.

Starters to just plain avoid flash AND blur is to set your camera on the tripod, turn off your flash, then set the camera to the ten second timer. That's annoying, i know, but focus on your subject, depress your shutter- and let go of the camera. The problem with digitals is that they're so small, even pressing your shutter gives you shake, and therefore blur.

For anoyone with a digicam with a 2 second timer- be very very happy. XD Otherwise, you'll just have to convince your subject it's worth the wait and not to move. :P

Use your flash at angles to fill in shadows if it's not bright enough, but if the area is well lit, a tripod and no flash should help a lot.

SolarTempest
03-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Now my question is, are there any tips so that the ugly, unsightly photographer or the flash doesn't appear reflected on the mirrors? I've been thinking of taking the pictures at an angle, but there's still the risk of a stray flash or a blurry picture, not to mention a photo that might not be well centered.
Any tips?

It sounds like you already know where you will be doing the shoot. Matching the colour of your clothes to the other objects/features in the shot will help eliminate your presence in the mirrors. Solid patterened clothes work really well.

You will definitely end up taking shots at all sorts of angles so that you don't show up in the pictures. If you bring a stool or similar height-enhancing object, that might help you get up higher and out of the shot if necessary.

Starters to just plain avoid flash AND blur is to set your camera on the tripod, turn off your flash, then set the camera to the ten second timer. That's annoying, i know, but focus on your subject, depress your shutter- and let go of the camera. The problem with digitals is that they're so small, even pressing your shutter gives you shake, and therefore blur.

Really good advice here! Camera shake can be disaster. An alternative is to bring in reflectors and external lights to add light to the scene if necessary. White sheets are great reflectors to toss around on the ground to even out the lighting and aren't much work.