PDA

View Full Version : Video cams at the Rave

pookie-kun
02-19-2003, 11:14 PM
I saw several people wandering around the Rave with video cams.. are they anyone from here? Does anyone from here know them? Are any of them planning on digitizing footage and putting it online? :D ... whee caffeine @_@

diqitaldreams
02-20-2003, 05:48 AM
I saw several people but I don't think they are from this board. o.o; ... I think they're from somewhere else, but I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find them.

VoiclessChild
02-20-2003, 06:50 PM
Hey! ........Uh, I was at the rave, though I didn't have a video cam...I was doing the glowstick poi thing. With the strings. ::glomp:: I know you! ::points:: You are the guy that looks like mason!

::Jade::

ki kuru kitty
02-20-2003, 10:14 PM
I would never miss a rave, my entrace was a duel with Cloud. I was wearing a white shirt and black bondage pants. I love to dance. I do wonder if I can those people with cam put it on the internet. I'd love to watch.

Oshidori
02-20-2003, 10:23 PM
we didn't really get to duel!! Too bad i got all dehydrated and passing out and stuff :p

That cloud guy was mad cool...at least we started our own li'l circle for a while!

pookie-kun
02-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Oh, I didn't really do poi ^^; and apparently yes, i look like mason.. but im not mason god dammit :P

Paxus
02-21-2003, 03:38 AM
how did everybody like the dance anyway? Just curious, I love to get feedback and try to make my dances better in any way. I dj'ed with Rob this dance, we'll be doing AMA next i think. -@ndrew

pookie-kun
02-21-2003, 03:47 AM
I loved the dance! A few -very- minor complaints I had, however: the average bpm seemed a little high. That's just a personal preference of mine, though. It seemed to be hovering around 130-140.. and i'm more comfortable around 120. I adapted pretty well, though. Second complaint is just a personal preference as well.. and that's all the ddr that was played :p I like ddr just fine.. just in the arcade and not on the actual dance floor ^^;

Were you guys spinning off of computers or vinyl?

edit: Oh - a general request in terms of anime conventions.. there are some REALLY cool trance mixes of jpop out there. A few notable albums are Globe's "Global Trance" album and the Cyber TRANCE release of ELT TRANCE (an album of really really good trance remixes of Every Little Thing songs)... Just thinking that some trance mixes of some japanese music would be really appropriate at raves like this one ;)

Paxus
02-21-2003, 05:50 AM
thanks for the feedback : ). As far as my selection went, i played a good deal of move, some j-trance, alot of video game remixes, and some classics. Yeah the bpm was high, definetly. We were using high-end pioneer cd decks. Btw, if you ever have anything you'd like to hear at any dance, track me down before the dance, give me a chance to hear it, and i'll gladly drop it. We did play a good chunk of ddr, but mostly because we have alot of requests for it, and people like to dance to stuff they know. I think over the course of the nite, we got ddr heavy in certain areas, but pretty balanced. thanks for the feedback and song advice. -@ndrew

pookie-kun
02-21-2003, 06:04 AM
Sure thing. Do you have a playlist of what you played by any chance? :) Sorry if I seem to be asking a lot of questions.. I'm looking to try and get off the dance floor into the DJ booth ;)

Paxus
02-21-2003, 06:18 AM
nope, its really a blur really unless i record it. : / I can tell you that my mixing is a heckofalot better when i have monitors within a decent distance to my ears. I know we played at least 3 star wars remixes, move, a whole slew of Oc remixes, some ddr, a lil bit of darude, brooklyn bounce, Safri Duo (Yuzo Koshiro mixes), some beatmania, some bust-a-move, cmjk, jet set radio, two mix, ayumi, and alot of j-trance i couldn't get to because of not being handed it til 30 mins before the dance. Honestly, alot of controlling a dance that size is in reading the crowd and trying to work requests overall in your gameplan. The hardest part is trying to know what the majority of what people want. I know some people who will ask for very very slow stuff, or stuff that doesn't even get close to being involved in anime/video games/geekdom. Are you going to AMA? -@ndrew

pookie-kun
02-21-2003, 06:26 AM
Nope, my next con up is Animazement :/

Paxus
02-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Hmm well all i can say is do your best to build up a large cd collection, go for things that you know you must have first, then build to a larger collection of things that people tell you to listen to. Really the best anime con dances in my opinion have a mix of video game music, video game remixes, anime remixes, j-pop, j-trance, j-rock (if you can pull it off), some well known stuff, and geek stuff to round it out. I went out on a limb with some stuff, but i think we did pretty decently this time around. My next dance might be anime boston, but it looks like it'll be Balticon, then Anime Mid-Atlantic. -@ndrew

pookie-kun
02-21-2003, 06:37 AM
You pulled it off great :D I enjoyed it muchly. *glances at the con schedule* I might make it to AMA, but it depends on whether or not I spend the summer out in SoCal or not.

Paxus
02-21-2003, 06:40 AM
Coo. Track me down at the con, i'll gladly show you my setup and take any requests prior to the dance. : ) -@ndrew

pookie-kun
02-21-2003, 06:45 AM
I'll try :)

Fiestykitty6969
02-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Anyone remember me?? My boyfriend and I would glowstick dance together in that random circle... WoOt!! we did good... Anyone remember seeing us... I was wearing Baby blue UFO pants and the Doors shirt....??

Jin
02-21-2003, 04:37 PM
that dance was sweet, thou it was my first one, and i didnt rilly dance, i cant dance, im a horrible dancer(thats its for the self pity), well i was break dancin in that random circle in the middle, and it was reilly fun, this one guy asked if i did carra... something, a type of martial arts fighting... what eddie does in tekken. yeah anyways it was sweet... id like to learn how to rave next time, if anyone is interested in showing me how.

Paxus
02-21-2003, 07:51 PM
i think i might do a panel on popping and locking at some point, i only got rhythm from learning how to beatmatch. The first step is to just dance like no one is watching you, do it around the house while listening to some good music. It'll come with time. the style of fighting is capoeira (sic?) its a style of dancing/fighting. Can be interesting, just don't hurt yourself : ). Hate to look up from the decks and see someone down, heh. And on a last note, spinning glowsticks is cool, dancing with them is better. : ) -@ndrew

Luna Moon
02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
I believe I was the only female breakdancer there....
>_< (I suck by the way....)

Yes...I was doing 6-steps into 3-steps until my friend Elijah kicked the sh*t out of my thumb when he did a wind-mill...

Aish X_x hurt....very much.....looks really nasty right now >_<

-Luna-

Kamui Motoaki
02-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Word Jenn. . b girl in the house. . LoL

i was there Breaking with my "crew". . ^_^

Jin
02-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Luna Moon

I believe I was the only female breakdancer there....
>_< (I suck by the way....)

Yes...I was doing 6-steps into 3-steps until my friend Elijah kicked the sh*t out of my thumb when he did a wind-mill...

Aish X_x hurt....very much.....looks really nasty right now >_<

-Luna-

*Clap* i dont see much female breakers, only on special occasions, but its still rilyl sweet seeing one, I didnt see you thou... hmm i must have been blind... but all i rilly did was the six step and that roll entrance ^_^ heh ur better than me, goin to ota? keep on breakin i wanna see more.

VoiclessChild
02-22-2003, 11:25 AM
I was there, I was one of the glowstickers.........I had them on strings, I think I went into the circle once or twice...I was wearing a blue and white shirt, and bellbottoms.......security should remember me... :3

Jade* ^^;;;;

Nene
02-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Mwahaha, this rave was awesome! Finally one that doesn't have a cloud of smoke hovering in the air above everyone's heads..-x_x;;; And Luna, you weren't the only breakdancer, I broke dance for a bit, but I kept having to leave and come back, because my friends kept running off and disappearing (later I found out they went to the Yaoi/Yuri panel without me..-u u;;;) But, yea, I really liked this anime rave, 'cause it was also much bigger than the one they had at Otakon -^ ^;;; (of course, I only checked that on out at Otakon 2001...so I dunno if it was different in the bigger 2002..-x_x;; )

pookie-kun
02-25-2003, 10:47 PM
The Otakon 2k2 rave was different than Katsu's.. heh.. it had the main rave, out in the big hallway on one of the sides of the convention center without any panels or video rooms.. and in a conference room they had a much more hardcore room going on. I didn't stay much at either of them, because I was desperately searching for friends, though ^^;

Paxus
02-25-2003, 10:57 PM
Yeah i have to say this past year, Otakon's was really well put together. I was had a blast, and the open area really helped cross-ventilation. The two room idea was excellent as well. Not to mention i got to hear some of my fav dj's from the bmore scene. Dunno about the track selection, it was a wide variety that's for sure. Can't wait for this year's : ). -@ndrew

digikoomi
02-25-2003, 11:00 PM
Katkun has it with her all the time, but she take still picture not live action.
I see a woman carry a camera and ask question to cosplayers. she talk to fast..we don't even know what she is talking about >.<

Neko Cathy
02-27-2003, 03:01 PM
I was planning on bringin my cam w/ me to the rave like I did @ Otakon... but it BROKE before it ever got to the rave (Gawddammit... I know!)

I went as Yuni in the rave and I was very surprised that they had a couple DDR songs ("Ordinary World", "Shooting Star", etc.). I did glowstick, kinda gave up and kept bouncing back and forth to the Cosplay.com stand/party and back into the room until the room got to smell really nasty and it was hot as shit in there... ewe :(

"IVAN!! GIMME MY GAWDDAMN SLOWSTICKS!! DDR MUSIC'S PLAYING! AKIRA YOU WREAK OF SWEAT! GO TAKE A SHOWER" :rofl:

Hehe ^^ I love my BV peeps.

Yea Pookie, where the Hell were you at the Rave? I couldn't find you and I don't think neither could Oshi. I dunno if he really wanted to find you since you kinda... yea :(. But the only time I saw you at the con was at the DDR tournament and then you disappeared.

Did anyone see the chinese dragon guys? That was awesome! Sadly they couldn't enter the Rave and if they could of that would of been fricken great as anything. The end.

pookie-kun
02-27-2003, 04:00 PM
I was dancing at the rave almost the whole time. some of the time i bounced out to get water, and some of the time i was hanging out at limbo. and i was at limbo after the rave.

I danced twice in the middle of the circle thing.. and the rest of the time i was dancing on the big screen side of the big circle thing. I was mainly doing crazy me-styled dancing, with glowsticks added in for additional visual pleasure.

i was sore for 3 days from all that dancin'... not used to it :x

chrisscrewball
02-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the rave was awesome....By far my favorite part of the con. I would have preferred to have heard a bit more Jpop though, but it was still great nonetheless.

Neko Cathy
02-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by chrisscrewball
Yeah, the rave was awesome....By far my favorite part of the con. I would have preferred to have heard a bit more Jpop though, but it was still great nonetheless.

That's why you go to Otakon. They have better DJs that play J trance and JPop.

Paxus
02-28-2003, 03:19 AM
really it depends on which dj, wish, adrian and the etc. local djs mostly played from crates of straight up edm, although there were a couple really good eurobeatish/parapara/jpop dj spinning some stuff that i'd love to get my hands on.. ::drool::. funny thing is that most of the j-trance i have i cant play cuz its all psytrance. And i dunno if its right to be dropping that at an anime dance. i really need to get some fresher jpop/j-trance. any suggestions?

chrisscrewball
02-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Do some Ayumi Hamaski, like her eurobeat remixes....HOT!!!
Oh, and Neko Cathy, I'll definitely be at Otakon.....

Neko Cathy
03-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Paxus
i really need to get some fresher jpop/j-trance. any suggestions?

Dune ("I Can't Stop Raving" song is my fav) and DJ Liquid are pretty awesome, but I dunno if they're new or not. I know DJ liquid isn't. As for JPop the groups, MOVE or Morning Musume, are the best.

::hums to Zone's song, "Secret Base"::

pookie-kun
03-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Globe has some newer stuff out. They used to be more pop, but they've shifted to doing trance-ish stuff. It's not really hard beat trance though, so it's kinda hard to mix.

Paxus
03-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Eh hard to mix sometimes is difficult to judge, things become alot easier to mix with looping capabilities, DDR songs can even be mixed, just takes some time. Dune is classic, o course, i've got a whole slew i dont take the chance to play, cause of the whole "not anime or japanese" debate. I did however play "A Million Miles Away" at neko the year before last, and a whole bunch of people recognized it to my suprise, so maybe i'll start putting that into rotation. : ). Move is great, i've got a whole bunch of their stuff. Just started finding all these great Dreams Come True remixes also, I love them. Morning Musume, however, I didn't know, and they are on my list now. Globe i'll also have to look into. With this thread going on, maybe i'll do a j-trance panel at AMA or something, or just a "What do you want in a dance?" panel. -@ndrew

robbiebojangles
02-19-2006, 07:40 PM
___

SoulCrash
02-19-2006, 09:09 PM
First off, I did get alot of footage of what happen Friday night. BUT it's mostly from the BBoy side. I got to say, it want over the top! Like if it was "Battle of the Year" or "City vs. City".... For Saturday, I was inform that they banned camcorders/cameras that night... I was like WTF that's BS. Good thing I only have only the first 30 mins of the dance.. It was freaking dope that this guy Butterfly jump over 3 guys.

BTW.... I heard that a bboy crew was post to be there on Saturday night, did that crew ever come? And... Was it mostly techno/raving music all saturday night???

Kaoru27Umi
02-19-2006, 09:32 PM
I had so much fun at the rave! I thought the music was great and I just love to dance anyway so it was awesome!

Gogglegirl
02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I loved the dance. It was so awesome. I'm not really someone who dances a whole lot but after like ten minutes I couldn't stop. It made me crazy (which is a good thing...cause its fun to be crazy^^)

robbiebojangles
02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
(I guess this has just evolved into this years rave thread)

Yeah, the rave was totally a blast. I had Magic Eggs instead of glowsticks and everyone kept asking me about them, haha. In the end though, I think I should've been switching up between sticks and eggs cause my whole body is uber sore now - including my tendons from holding those round fuckers all night. Oh well, it was still amazing. (And I was sober too! Who says you can't have good clean fun?)

Eurobeat King
02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Yeahh.. this thread is 3 years old.. If anyone would like to start a new thread for the Katsucon 2006 dance/rave, please do so. This old one is closed.