PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Kinsem
03-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I have over 300 images from the Megacon and I am looking for a program that can do bulk resizing of images. Iím feeling lazy and I donít really feel like adjusting and touching up all the photos in Photoshop. Any ideas?

TomodachiFriend
03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
For a free one, try XnView.
http://www.xnview.com/

staereo
03-14-2006, 08:06 AM
O.o if you have photoshop, photoshop is capable of doing it.

if you dont want to do it in photoshop, ACDSee is also a program capable of doing it. (I have that for organizing images, anyways.)

Bruce

Vicky
03-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Photoshop mass re-sizes images? O_O How?!

staereo
03-14-2006, 08:47 AM
You can create droplets and use them for automated batch effects. Of about any action, including resizing. ^.~

It just takes a few minutes to set up.

I imagine you can find tutorials online, and if you have trouble I would be happy to find some for you. =)

Bruce

Ollie
03-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I actually use a program called GraphicsConverter (lemkesoft.de) of most of my automated processing. The batch conversion utility is very powerful, able to do a few things Photoshop can't. (At least as far as I'm aware of.) You can include boolean logic and any number of filters. For resizing in particular, you can scale to a specific pixel count. This avoids problems with landscape versus portrait oriented pictures. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than Photoshop while capable of about 90% of the same stuff.

staereo
03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Id be interested to know what graphicsconverter can do that photoshop cant... what kinds of things?

SolarTempest
03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Oo, batch scripts. My biggest saviour in photoshop!
Work painlessly through hundreds of photos without breaking a sweat :skidude2:

Tutorial: For CS2, not sure if all functions are available in other vers.
1. Open up your first image you want to resize.
2. Open up the actions palette (most likely a little tab beside "history").
3. You can start a new group of actions with the little folder icon on the bottom.
4. Probably name it something relevant.
5. Click the little notepad-ish icon to start a new action.
6. Name it something relevant and put it in the action set you want.
7. Click the little record circle button at the bottom.
8. Go to file -> automate -> fit image.
9. Set your max width/height. I set mine to 800x800 so that both landscape and portrait shots are resized to have a max dimension (vertical or horizontal) of 800px.
10. Click ok.
11. Click the little square to stop recording your action (actions palette).
12. Save your image.

13. Open up all the rest of your images in photoshop.
14. Go to file -> automate -> batch.
15. Source is opened files, then choose your action in it's action set.
16. Hit Ok!

17. After you're done, the command ctrl-alt-w is useful to close all the images that are open. You'll get lots of save dialog boxes (often quality settings for jpgs) so your cordless phone or deoderant or camera comes in handy for holding down the enter button while you wait as the images close.

I found that not telling the batch to save and close is faster - this way your computer can do the computations while you go and do other stuff while waiting. Then when you need to close and save, do them all at once and minimize your time wasted.

If you're using windows and annoyed at photoshop hogging your cpu and slowing down your internet browsing, music, homework... then it's handy to start photoshop in low priority mode (does computations in the background). You can make a windows shortcut batch script that will do it everytime for you:

1. Create a text file.
2. Put in: "START /low C:\PROGRA~1\Adobe\ADOBEP~1\PHOTOS~1.EXE" (no quotes).
3. Change the path to whatever yours is for your computer. The command prompt and the commands "dir/x" and "cd" are very helpful.
4. Rename the file extention to be ".bat" instead of ".txt".
5. Just open up the shortcut when you want to start photoshop.

You will soon be happy to realize that you are faster at working than your computer once again! *grins*.

Kinsem
03-14-2006, 10:20 PM
WOOT thanks for the photoshop tip that really helped alot. Now all I need to do is dump them into a gallery page and slap it up on my website. :bigtu:

Ollie
03-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Id be interested to know what graphicsconverter can do that photoshop cant... what kinds of things?

I'd have to start it up to check, but here's a few of the things I like more. Granted, there's probably a lot I just don't know about photoshop, but I think it still holds that, based on personal taste, different tools are suited for different jobs. This program is supposed to be a poorman's photoshop, and works that way, too.

One feature I like a lot better is how it does automated tasks. For autolevels, it doesn't simply find a maximum and minimum, but it finds the 95th or 98th percentile and sets that as the maximum (or minimum). This results in a better use of the color range than photoshop's algorithm. This is similarly true for color adjustments.

Batch processing can be done with your own boolean logic and constructed out of all available operators. I feel this gives better control over what is going on. The batch conversion set up also allows you to filter for many types of files, allows scaling to a specific total size regardless of dimensions, and has more transparent adjustments for changing hue, saturation, and so forth.

It also has a number of features for directly making webpages, merging images, creating proof sheets, and monitoring folder contents.

That being said, it's only the right tool to use in some cases. It certainly doesn't do layers (at all), nor does it have many of the advanced features Photoshop has. When I'm doing basic stuff, GraphicConverter is (for me) easier to use and takes less time, plus gets better results for these basic things. But, I'd never want to edit RAWs in Graphic Converter, or use GC for anything where the end result is particularly important.

ross@the-smoke.
03-29-2006, 09:03 AM
If you're using a Mac with iPhoto, you can do a mass export with resized images, thumbs etc. Pretty easy and neat if you're looking for reasonable quality, not too heavy touched up albums.

Otherwise hit Photoshop.

Ross

Vicky
04-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Solar Tempest, I love you :D
Thanks!

SolarTempest
04-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Hehehe, no problem!!!
Batch processing rocks \m/

And having photoshop low priority too :toothy:

Jadenyuki
04-16-2006, 09:44 AM
For a free one, try XnView.
http://www.xnview.com/

I think photoshop is ok but I think the xn is a lot better for you needs. I do not recommend Microsoft photo program because it seems like it resembles the issue with xp and ME Photo programs.