PDA

View Full Version : "A feast for kings and Queens/ get-together" before AX03

JoeBoeing
02-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Greetings,

I'd like to make this a reality... see the thread below: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7863

I'd like to have a get together at a house of one of the forumites and we can have the members make their best dishes and we can have a nice cozy dinner and chat.

Who has a house or apartment with a kitchen that is adequete for such a gathering?

I need a stove burner for the pot, a large skillit and an oven that can reach 400 degrees.

I can make the "State fair spaghetti" that with my current recipe can suite about 7-9 people. But I can modify it for more.

I'd make it at my house but I live in Oxnard, California and that is almost 2 hours by car and I don't have my own transportation so I'm going down to Anahaim by train.

I think this would be a great way to share stories, cooking recipies and get to know eachother.

1st thing we have to settle on is where can we cook our dishes?

2nd thing is who all could come?

3rd is what could you bring/make?

4th is who do we blackmail into doing the dishes?

So, who is up for this?

FRom,
Joe

Kusanagi
02-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Solution: We all go out to Dennys or Sizzler or some other restaraunt. Problem Solved XD

This does sound like a cool idea...

KaitouKurogo
02-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Mah...wasn't there already a plan to go to Dennys suggested by RoseDuelist? I thought that was the get-together meal plan...

RoseDuelist
02-21-2003, 10:12 PM
I already started a thread about this. We are going to go to Dennys after opening ceremonies on the first day, in costume. I'm just waiting for them to post the schedule for the shows before I make an official time. That'll probably happen a month or so before, then I'll update information. Click below for a link to the original thread.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?threadid=5040

JoeBoeing
02-22-2003, 10:14 PM
I remember the idea of going to Denny's. But I figured this way we could get a home cooked meal and relax, watch anime, chat and liisten to music while eating in a more relaxing atmosphere then a stuffy restaraunt.

It would be a lot more relaxed and you'd know who was cooking the food. You may even learn some new cooking skills and recipies.

From,
Joe

Alaria
02-22-2003, 10:28 PM
well, peeps are welcome in my apt for dinner if anyone would like. This is a really cool idea; the only prob of course is people getting to whatever person's apt/house it would be at. Since alot of people are flying in and going straight to the hotels....but I guess for locals it would work?

RoseDuelist
02-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Yes, a homecooked meal would be nice. The Denny's thing will be the first day though. ^_^ Hopefully right after opening ceremonies. I'll restart the thread when it gets closer to time. Maybe we can work together and plan them on different days so people can attend both? I wouldn't want people to have to choose..

AH! JOE! You have 666 posts! lol

JoeBoeing
02-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Greetings,

I must post this quick then since I'm a good Catholic follower.

I was thinking this would be good for the day before the con. I think it would be more relxed than having to stay in the uncomfy benches that Denny's has.

Finding ways to get everyone there will be a task. If someone lives in Anaheim and has a house/apartment with a good kitchen we could carpool in a couple taxi cabs or something.

I'm more than willing to cook my Grandma's State Fair Spaghetti hotdish... the current recipe can feed 7-9 people as long as there is other food being served.

From,
Joe

KaitouKurogo
02-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Mah...

I'm pretty set on the Denny's idea myself. A large family restaraunt like it is better suited for large groups ordering large meals. Is there really any kitchen in an apartment or home suited to handle such a group? One has to take into consideration comfort and utility in this sort of situation.

I'm not trying to put down the idea in any way, I just try to take things in all considerations. Food would be prepared by individuals attending, but there's no way everyone could use the same kitchen. I suppose that some dishes could be prepared and then brought over. Though what of the expenses? This sort of thing would cost a lot of money to prepare on all parts; making meals large enough to feed large groups can be very pricey. It might end up being a 'chip-and-soda' potluck on accident...

As for staying around and watching anime; that sounds like a fun idea. However, does anyone here have a living room or other such means of fitting everyone comfortably? Also, would this sort of gathering cause trouble with neighbors? What about the simple issue of privacy; one not being able to safely have such a large group of semi-strangers in one's home?

As a day-before thing, sure. I imagine that in the coming months one would be able to aquire the correct setting for this sort of get together. I'm still rather apt to lean for the Denny's plan, which is set to take place on the first day of the convention. It would most likely be set immediately after opening ceremonies, since there would not be many shows or events active at that time. Also, the exhibit hall would be packed with throngs heading right for it, so it would be a good time to scoot off to another place while the crowds ebb.

Of course, why not do both? Since the at-home plan is aimed for the day before the convention, the two plans should not impact each other at all. We would end up with two opportunities to meet and become better aquainted with everyone. ^_^ Both ideas are very appealing and I personally think they'd be equally enjoyable. Besides, at-home will give us a chance to get to know each other and Denny's will give us a chance to freak out tourists and other 'normal-folk.' :razz:

RoseDuelist
02-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Well Joe, it's not like the plans will interfere with each other or anything. I still think we can do both. And the benches at Denny's aren't that uncomfortable. Sorry, but it comes off that you are trying to put down my idea. I was rather proud of it.

Well, I think we are pretty much set on after opening ceremonies on the first day. We can all walk down to Denny's in costume and it will be fun. Having the feast the night before will give us a chance to see each other out of costume. Then when we see each other IN costume, it will be easier to recognize each other, no? ^_^

JoeBoeing
02-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Greetings,

Sorry if I come off as trying to put down the Denny's idea... if you see my post in the thread you will that I'm willing to go join everyone.

When I 1st proposed my idea I suggested the day before the con so it will not interfere with the Denny's plan.

As for everyone being in the kitchen I was thinking of only having 3 or 4 people do the cooking and making dishes that can serve between 7 - 9 people.

as for the benches at Denny's... when you have my size it really pinches because the tables are so close.

Sorry if it seemed like I was bashing the Denny's idea. I didn't mean to.

FRom,
Joe

RoseDuelist
02-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Nah, it's ok. ^_^ I'll definatly see you at both then. KaitouKurogo WILL be cooking.. he is really good and if I have to put a gun to his head to get him there.. well.. yeah.. lol..