PDA

View Full Version : Duel Jewel live

Yui
02-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Well, I actually have much to comment on this, but I don't want to influence anybody's opinions -- so at first, I'll just unbiasedly ask for impressions from anybody who saw them preform at Katsucon (or later bumped into them at 'Yuki-con' X_x)
No one seems to be talking about this on the Katsucon forum, so I figured I had a better chance of catching you here.

twentystitches
02-20-2003, 04:40 PM
I might be a bit bias, since it was my first concert ever but I thought it was very good. Hayato has a good voice not to mention he handled the mic going out on him during the first performance very well. ^^;; I'd be panicking but he just sorta went..'hm..' and grabbed another!

Shun's a talented guitarist. *nods* He and Yuya did a piece together didn't they? My memory is starting to fuzz a bit, but it was very impressive. Val's solo was very cool too, he can play those drums!

Ah..--;; I don't sound like I know what I'm talking about! *laughs* I can't review bands very well.

Basically I think their great for an indies band, nah just a band in general. You can see their getting better as they keep going, and there's room for them to explore more kinds of music. They play well acoustically too. And they're a bunch of sweet guys ^^;;. I can't decide if I like them more live or on CD, since I got their Noah CD for X-mas and had listened to it alot. I think it's fairly even, so that's good. I enjoyed the concert and the acoustic live fully.

And just a bit of fangirlishness. Hayato's english is adorable. Sure half the time it's hard to understand what he says but god..it was cute! " We want you to be......more happy!" XD

Did anyone on here manage to catch anything they threw? I talked to a couple of girls and one of them managed to grab Natsuki's pick.

MargauxZ
02-20-2003, 06:57 PM
I really like their sound. Not too gyah, but not to sissy either. I had a great time. (And we caught a waterbottle and a pick! Yay!)

The guys are way hot too.

Keurblitz
02-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Hayato was good... but he had trouble hitting the high notes....

Lilli
02-20-2003, 10:06 PM
. I'll say what Yui-chan is too tactful to say.

I would have enjoyed the concert a lot more if I'd been able to actually hear the band. Problem with the sound system? No. Problem with the mindlessly screaming fangirls without a clue? Bing-bong.

Were there true fans in the audience? Undoubtedly.
Were there at least 7 out of 10 girls in there just screaming as loud as they could because "Hey look, pretty guys from Japan who can play the guitar! OMG wow look, he BREATHED! *SCREAM!* "
Bing-bong, bing-bong.

._. Enthusiasm is all well and good, but when your racket drowns out the pretty vocals you went to listen to, do tell me what the point is. If you watch the clips from live concerts from Japan, you'll likely notice that once the actual music starts, unless there's like gratuitous fanservice happening, the crowds shut up, so you can hear what you came for.

I know I am not alone when I say that I think the concert would have been more enjoyable, had there been more respect in general from the crowd.

soshi
02-20-2003, 10:09 PM
=/

that's what I worry about when I talk to bands about coming here. it'd be nice, but with the mass hysteria most fangirls get into, it's like... why bother? people are having petitions to get bands like Dir en grey out here, and I laugh at that. if an indies band (and Duel Jewel isn't even a "real" indies band. >_<; I've had it checked) gets reactions like that, there's no way larger bands will come. Diru even cancelled most of their out of Japan concerts for being treated with such little respect by the fans in Hong Kong. if American fans don't learn to shut up and calm down, NO ONE besides Duel Jewel will play out here at cons, EVER.

anway...

sorry that sucked, Lilli. ;_; *does a Yu~ki dance for you*

Yui
02-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Ah well, Lilli, I suppose I -was- obvious about that there, huh? Yes, I feel that *most* of the crowd was there to be trendy, and only a good handful had actually heard their music previously (those few who frequent around here and such) and was front and center and got the good show. I honestly can't comment on the show because I couldn't see/hear it at all.

I didn't want to put down anyone who did enjoy it - I just felt they are better represented via the CD. I felt that the "venue" was a disservice to them. I felt that attendees should have had to pass some sort of maturity test to be allowed access. Man, I just felt hot...but that was partially my own fault for wearing the silly FILTH getup (that was the only way I thought peeps would recognize me in line...and hey, it worked) All I can say was that I wasn't just -accidentally- ramming my light-sticked Kaoru head into a few of the rabid mindless shrieking wanna-be fangirls. Maybe if I could have pushed to the front, I would have gotten into it more -- as it was, I felt that the rest of my party was becoming uncomfortable, so we decided to leave after a few songs.

I suppose my greatest peeve about the whole appearance was that so many people there confused them with visual kei. J-rock? Yes, real, indies, or otherwise, they have the sound and the ability to preform. But visual kei involves a good deal more cross-dressing and several more mutated appendages, more sparklies, more blood, more insanity. At least throw in a gas mask or some whips. I guess I wanted a theatrical spectacle and not a semi-heated mosh pit. Because I don't go to concerts, since I don't like people making detracting noise. I wish I could just sit (even tho they took out the chairs) and let the music blast at me and consume me.

Now -afterwards- after being snowed in, that was fun. Altho, even after coming down to the bar to stalk them later, I was a bit distracted, I think. But as I was leaving early Tuesday morning, I inadvertantly helped them load their luggage onto the cart thingies...realizing only after who they were ^_^* But I gave them a devil duckie and took some pics for them anyway.

And yeah, DeG will never get over here....

soshi
02-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Yui
I wish I could just sit (even tho they took out the chairs) and let the music blast at me and consume me.

now, that is where Japanese concerts are unique. I cannot believe the reserve some of these fans have. O_O; if you watch Malice Mizer's big Bara no Seido themed concert, the fans are all standing or sitting, perfectly still, not moving around or screaming or even poking at things, while the white clad cult members (or whatever the hell they are) are going through the audience. I've noticed that the larger the venue, the more well bevaied the crowds are (unless the artists provoke them - ie, nearly every single hide or Dir en grey concert ^^;; lol). most of the "crazy" lives are in indies houses, where they serve you drinks up the ass, and everyone gets piss drunk and goes and moshes. ^^;;; well, sometimes. I suppose it depends on the band.

which brings me to your other remark.. people getting them confused with visual kei. that bothers me as well - they're even being marketed as a visual band here. O_o;

la dee da.. I shouldn't be rambling so much, I wasn't even at the con. ^^;

Lilli
02-20-2003, 10:46 PM
*squee!!* Yuuuuu~kiii <3 <3 Hehe, a Yu~ki dance makes everything better :3

Totally unrelated note: We simply must have a Cyberland Malice Mizer cosplay group some time :3 Yui-chan correct me if I'm wrong please, but I got the impression you'd not hate being Cyberland Kami if we do :3 So that'd make what, Kami, Yu~ki, and Kozi? Cyberland Mana and Gackt are the easiest to find anyway :3 *dance dance* I wish I wish they'd behaved themselves better, but to be honest, the crowd, for the most part, behaved as poorly as I expected it to.

Edit: See, I really am dead on my... um... chair ._. I actually misspelled Gackt... Horribleness. *ZZzzzZZZZzzzzZZzzzz*

Lilli
02-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Demooo Soshi, you actually know what you're talking about, and it's so terribly refreshing, so it's okay :3 *glomps, an heads off to bed before she collapses, whee* siiiiicku ._. blarghahoo.

twentystitches
02-20-2003, 11:00 PM
--;; Yaa. Things like this always make me uncomfortable. I agree with you guys, because for most of the concert I did have trouble hearing but then again my hearing was kinda wonky during and after it.

Though, what really did annoy me was some of the people that were in front of me that were complaining throughout the whole concert. o.O; Why are you here if you're just going to complain! You can leave!

Unfortuntantly I was probably one of those annoying screaming fangirls, but I got the impression that that's what they wanted. So I yelled whenever there was a solo or one of them pointed in my general area. ==;; I just don't want to be labeled as a braindead fangirl all the time. I mean it's fun for awhile, but all the time..eh..

It's weird that they want to bring Dir en grey over. I couldn't even imagine that happening, if it did, the con would be absouletly swamped! It would be...crazy...And it would probably drive those who are not into J-rock up the walls. I'm not against them performing in the states at all, I just think that an anime con is the last place for such a hugely popular band.

Though...it's apparent that liking a band just because it's going to a con is a trend. People are all going on about Silver Ash now, since Otakon's the next big con in the area and the band's considering to stop there on their tour or..whatever they are doing. ^^;; I dunno, I don't think I would see them perform. Their music doesn't do much for me...^^;;; ah..I'm not making much sense, might as well stop before I've dug my grave.

Oh wait. Yui your Kaoru costume kicks some serious ass! ><;; I didn't have my camera with me to get a picture which annoyed me.

Daitenshi
02-20-2003, 11:08 PM
People in the front were complaining? O.o; About what?

Not that I could hear anything other than the band~ I was front row center XD
I screamed after a song and maybe during if Hayato, Yuya or Shun did anything particlalary for the crowd.
That's one thing I noticed about them at Akon and again at Katsu, they know how to play a crowd~ The concerts are full of energry. The acoustic concerts are reserved for the quite fans.

I was actually wondering how many people were excited to see them because they were Duel Jewel.... or just because they were hot Japanese guys 9_9

twentystitches
02-20-2003, 11:14 PM
All I really caught was they didn't like it because it was too loud, Hayato's english wasn't that clear and some other stuff..^^;; I wasn't really paying attention. Guess it just wasn't their thing.

Here I go editing again..*should go to sleep* Daitenshi were you hanging out with the girls on the DJ BBS? I think I saw you. X.x Man..it's a small world.

Yui
02-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Lilli
I wish I wish they'd behaved themselves better, but to be honest, the crowd, for the most part, behaved as poorly as I expected it to.

I know, I'm usually cynical about the typical American, but right before cons, I get hopelessly optimistic. Like, "maybe it'll work out this time" -- and then it doesn't exactly. Not for me anyway.

Again -- I don't wanna discourage anyone's perceptions of having fun there. I was just wondering if anyone was disillusioned as I. Just cuz I'm not aggressive enough to take control of my role in the audience, doesn't mean it didn't work out well for some.

Hmm, and as for that unrelated note...would I not totally hate doing Cyberland Kami? Hmm. Hmm. Kami, huh? Had to be Kami. Well...oh my, look over there - four yards of pretty silver fabric. I guess I have no choice! (Just for future reference, I'd not be against -any- Kami. You just order me when.)

Yui
02-20-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Daitenshi

I was actually wondering how many people were excited to see them because they were Duel Jewel.... or just because they were hot Japanese guys 9_9

I seemed to be getting the impression of the latter, just based on the conversations I was having as the line shifted around. Okay, maybe not everyone would recognize my FILTH head -- but there were several groups of people standing in line who didn't know who Gackt was. Or Yoshiki. I just wanted to slap some earphones on the poor people. "Please , let's start from the beginning!" And simply not being informed yet wouldn't have been so bad....sure, they're just expanding their horizons, just got into j-rock...but they were in a literal frenzy, swooning and salivating over little Duel Jewel chibi things they just got in the dealers' room.

I was just speechless.

Besides, if you're just looking for some hot Asians, there are plenty of them at any anime con, and much more accessable.

Lilli
02-20-2003, 11:30 PM
^o^ Ohohohoho! *glomps Yui-chan* wai wai :3

._. Mreh. Silver Ash. Yes, a concert I certainly won't be attending. I'll use that time to run around the con wearing a happy costume, and enjoy hopefully at least somwhat diminished crowds, yay :3

soshi
02-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Silver Ash.. they're ok, I suppose, but I don't think I'd go to the concert.

d00d, Lilli, we need to figure out a con the both of us will be at for Cyberland O_O; let's hope I win the lottery or somethin, ne o_o;

SailorMo
02-21-2003, 01:06 PM
hmph.... I was standing in the middle of the room and could see and hear them fine.... <shrug>

I thought they've got a really good sound. Can play up the audience a bit too... that's always fun. heh... almost felt like a Motley Crue concert... The lead vocalist was soooo cute when he was speaking english.. I was just like, "awwwwwww... that's soooo sweet!"... Tho it did seem like it took THEM a little bit to warm up to their audience, then it was obvious they were having just as good a time as we.

And I loved it that they did 1/3 from Kenshin!

Ranma Saotome
02-21-2003, 01:14 PM
It was alright... I didn't stay too long because it reminded me too much of the 80's glam/hair bands... *wanders off and listens to Twisted Sister*

Lyn
02-21-2003, 01:53 PM
I personally really enjoyed the concert but that might be because I was front row center. ^^; I feel really bad for everyone that couldn't see or hear them that well espicially if you're a true J-Rock fan because you were missing a rather great concert. The screaming really did get on my nerves too but as I haven't been to a concert before, I thought that was kinda something you got used to at cons. I do remember having to cover my ears a few times when they got out of control. x_x;

I was the Pink Spider hide cosplayer standing next to a few Duel Jewel cosplayers in the front. The band did a really great job and I espicially enjoyed the guitar duet between Shun and Yuya. Hayato also has a very nice voice.

There were a lot of people there that obviously didn't care about the concert and they really annoyed me. Espicially whenever the band threw something into the audience and they would all like poverilize anyone in there way to get the things. o_o; I didn't even bother. I would watch the item and see like people kill each other over it.

I'm glad that I was able to keep my cool for the concert. I did actually yell a few times but I couldn't help it. ^^; But I usually don't scream so for the most part I just headbanged and sang along with them.

The accoustic concert on Saturday was also very nice. Though one of my friends reported to me that she couldn't see anything from her spot in the back. So, yes, poor choice of seating arrangements. They should've gotten a bigger room. I do hope the seats themselves were alright as my group and I had helped set them up and I was a bit worried that we might've done a really bad job there. I think we did. x_x; Sorry about that. We were just doing what the Katsu staff told us to do though. The accoustic concert had a much more intimate feel to it and overall there was a lot less screaming so it was quite more relaxing than Friday night's concert. I also manage to get a number of good picture shots of some of the band members.

Well, I think I've rambled on enough about that. ^^; I just recently joined cosplay.com (as in like yesterday) so I'm still getting the hang of these forums.

~Lyn

Luna Moon
02-21-2003, 02:11 PM
I thought they were awesome!!

I was front and center ^_____^ Right infront of Hayato-san!

hehehe ^o^

I was in tears both time they performed "Tsuki to Tawamure"

T_T

Hayato has such a nice voice....

But......Natsuki's smile brightened up the Con ^^

*fondles Natsuki-sama* hehehehehehe ^O^

I think their Acoustic performance was the best...(I was in the third row of seats).......and you really got to feel the music during that performance~ ^^

-Luna-

A J
02-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Not a big j-rock fan (actually I know nothing) but Yui just introduced me to Malice Mizer and now I'm all fascinated and want to go hear more stuff. :)

But about Duel Jewel, the acoustics were AWFUL in the back. We could not hear a comprehensible thing. I was really trying to listen too to see if I liked them seeing as how I have no exposure to j-rock (or whatever they classify as). We gave up after the first song and left.

I have to say that they sounded much much better from outside with the speakers muffled a little so that I could actually hear the vocals.

-AJ

Lilli
02-21-2003, 05:56 PM
. *dresses in her sparkle ninja outfit, and kidnaps Soshi away to Maryland*

You can... make copies with me ._.\/ *waves a little flag with "yay." on it* Hehee :3 We shall find one!! Indeed :3

Yui
02-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Eee...I'm so glad there were people there who benefited from going. ^_^ Yeah, I should have known better to go to the accoustic concert instead (even tho Saturday was RPG day for me and I probably would have felt out of place out of proper goth gear.) Anyway, I just was feeling like I was a horrible j-rock fan when I just couldn't get into it. I still dig their CDs ^_^ - but, again, that doesn't mean much because I like virtually all j-rock on some level.

And yea for fresh blood for the Mizer boys. ^_^ A J rocks.

more side chatter...Lilli just wants to kidnap everybody away to Maryland, huh? Let's work on importing Dez, too, while we're at it? Or, let's first seduce him into being our Daishi at least. Tell him he doesn't have to wear make-up or anything X_x I mean, it's not half as silly as his PSO cosplay. Whee. Then we just need a seek...

Ryuujin
02-23-2003, 01:30 PM
... Well, I posted a thread in the Katsucon forum trying to figure out something about the performance. I was there front in center, I think just behind Daitenshi too, I was the guy in the blue hoody. But yeah anyways... When the bassist walked off stage did anyone else think that was staged or that he was just fed up with the crowd. And I dont mean the loud screams, If you couldnt handle that its probably because you never been to a show in your life. Anyways, when he walked off staged I thought he was just really pissed off that he had to play at an anime convention for a bunch of geeky anime fans. I mean, the Vocalist and the Drummer seemed to have to go off stage just to talk him back on leaving their two guitarist out on stage alone. They played over a drum and bass plug for god sake. If they all meant to do that, and it was staged, then I'd have to say their the stupidest band Ive ever seen. You Never play over plugs.... ever! Not when you have an actual drummer and bassist there.....

Is anyone else with me on this? Does anyone have any proff to add ?

die-sama
02-23-2003, 04:31 PM
wow hmmm
i'm gonna tie this post in w/ the Katsucon Duel Jewel concert post if thats okay

First off, I dont quite agree with mosh pits in concerts in an Anime Convention. and its not like the sercurity gaurds didn't let aNYTHINg go pass. there were people bodysurfing several rows back (I was front row) , honestly i didnt' think sercurity was high enough. my friend next to me got punched in the eye by some girl and the next morning she had a very irritated eye that was almost completely red *if the vessel had busted it would've been completely red*. then we started in the front row and in the last 10 minutes (after hayato tried to dive onto us. and then yuya stood there like a fresh piece of meat) we ended up in maybe 4th or 5th row. when hayato first dived my first reaction was to back up. because next thing i know i'm being punched/grabbed. etc and the sercurity guards did nothing they sort of acutally moved back themselves X_X;;;

anyways maybe i'm just stupid or whatever you think but honestly in Asia its different, i mean i'vebeen in livehouses there and bands could be standing 2 inches from you and most people will raise their hands but no one will grab and try to do the whole "molestation" thing ~_~;;
I mean from hearing about akon and the girl w/ the bra? that was a bit too much. growing up in asia and such people have different manners etc. i'm not saying mosh pits dont exist in japan and i dont have anything against them during a ROCK concert but katsucon is an anime convention. and it will be filled with Otakon *come on if COSPLAYERS are attacked X_X;;*
And as for dir en grey / bigger indies/etc i think it would be very possible for them to come, though the question in my mind was also raised that many of their fans may just be the type that screams and want to molest them ~_~;; but if diru/bigger bands do come i'm sure they'll get their own private venue and much higher sercurity. and if they come they might as well get used to the fact that mosh pits will occur and fans will scream.
Arg i'm lost in thought X_X; bleh

As for Silver Ash, I work for them and dispite what things people have heard about them I hope they would let them surface and let be clearified. they will not be going to otakon (and that in itself is an epic of a story) X_X very confusing.
but silver ash is trying to get some other cons in the east coast and I think they would all appreciate it very much if they got support. there was the idea raised to lower the amount of "screaming otaku's there just to see pretty guys from asia"
But honestly at any concert i think u've got the screaming idiots
*trust me i had someone screaming in my ear throughout the entire DJ concert*

~and~ as for Natsuki's walkin off stage, he only got offstage so yuya and shun can do their guitar solo. afterwards they all enjoyed the live and were happy people came so i doubt he was angry. they were so happy and glad so many ppl came.

but my main point i guess is to clearify that it wans't because natsuki was pissed and now i'm reading that tehy didnt' enjoy their stay? I'm sure they did maybe a little peeved about being snowed in and stalkers -_-;; but thats another story in itself as well .

but i really hope that anyone who did plan on going to silver ash's live (though this may seem i'm only saying this because i'm *biased* ) I hoep they're not discouraged from the behavior of a few screaming girls who were there only to see 'hot asian guys'

but all in all i really enjoyed duel jewel live, they were very nice in nature/attitude
I'm really glad i went
and i will be goig to akon to cheer them on as well ^^b

kirineko
02-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Ryuujin
... . But yeah anyways... When the bassist walked off stage did anyone else think that was staged or that he was just fed up with the crowd. And I dont mean the loud screams, If you couldnt handle that its probably because you never been to a show in your life. Anyways, when he walked off staged I thought he was just really pissed off that he had to play at an anime convention for a bunch of geeky anime fans. I mean, the Vocalist and the Drummer seemed to have to go off stage just to talk him back on leaving their two guitarist out on stage alone. They played over a drum and bass plug for god sake. If they all meant to do that, and it was staged, then I'd have to say their the stupidest band Ive ever seen. You Never play over plugs.... ever! Not when you have an actual drummer and bassist there.....

Is anyone else with me on this? Does anyone have any proff to add ?

Actually, it was staged. They started doing that in their lives in Japan, to give each member a chance to show off their skills, and also possibly to give them a break in the middle of the show for rehydration, without actually stopping the concert.

And no, they weren't pissed at all. They had a great time. Don't forget, this wasn't the FIRST anime convention they played, and if they didn't like playing in front of 'anime geeks' they would not have returned after a-kon, nor would that have been so excited about the prospect at playing again at an anime convention. And, anyway, at least one or two members are 'anime geeks' themselves, and manga geeks, and etc.

The 'drum and bass plug' I do believe was actually created by their lead guitarist, Shun. (the one with the red hair) He also wrote the little musical intro blurb from the beginning. They were trying something new, experimenting, and well, if you didn't care for it, that's your opinion, but I thought it was brilliant, and interesting.

As for the screaming fans, they wanted that. They asked specifically for screaming fans for Valentine's day. ^_^ (it was on their English BBS on their official site)

So, anyway, they had a really good time, and I think they put on an excellent performance at both the Friday concert and the Saturday acoustic live, though I wish they had had more seating for the acoustic live.

BadtzGirl
02-23-2003, 09:36 PM
I enjoyed the show. I go to lots of concerts. But this was my first time seeing a J-Rock band. I've noticed a live show is always better than a cd always and always. There are bands I would only hear if I can be at the show. A recording of a live show is not the same at all no matter how loud your speakers can go.

I'll admit that American audiance would not have the respect a band like Dir en grey would expect or deserve. We are loud obnixious and yell for no reason. This happens all the time at those boy band shows. I am happy to say I have never been to one but given the American girls propencity to scream at any thing male and remotely cute I can only imagine how bad it would be. People always at every concert start to scream and yell if a sound check guy goes on stage before the show.

I stayed for the whole show and I have to admit they were asking for the girls to scream at some points. When they jumped down into the audiance not once or twice but many times near the end one can not say they didn't know what was going to happen. They would walk around pointing and blowing kisses and waving hands indicating they wanted us to get even louder than we were. They were so loving it. Espically after the show when they had some people filming the croud. There was so much positive energy from them. You can tell if a band isn't into it and not happy. But these guys would not stop playing. They draged songs on for ever at the end and seemed like they wanted to stay there longer. I wanted to stay there longer too. They were all smiles not stuck up I felt like they had a lot of fun.

I'll agree that you couldn't hear the singing. But come on how many concerts like this can you actually hear the singing. Only at a venue with high quality sound system and a person running it that actually knows what they are doing can you really hear the vocals well. And somehow I doubt the acoustics in that room were the best. This place was decent considering it was a hotel for crying out loud.

Bottom line fan girl yelling is annoying when it won't stop like it wasn't stopping at this show. It did take away from the whole experience but it can not be avoided in this country I am afraid. I plan on going to as many more shows as I can for I am addicted to live shows and the incredible vibe and energy one can feel at a show. It was a good show by the band and a tolerable reaction by the fans.

But how can anyone sit when the music won't let a person stop moving. I am sorry everyone but I just have to dance and when the music moves me I can not sit or stand still if it is a good music and by the end I was totally in to it and dancing. But I restricted my yelling and clapping to between songs.

BadtzGirl
02-23-2003, 09:40 PM
I completely loved it what the drummer was out there on his own. I can toally dig a drum solo I loved it. It was so cool how they had songs with only a few members I liked that a lot.

soshi
02-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by die-chan
And as for dir en grey / bigger indies/etc i think it would be very possible for them to come, though the question in my mind was also raised that many of their fans may just be the type that screams and want to molest them ~_~;; but if diru/bigger bands do come i'm sure they'll get their own private venue and much higher sercurity. and if they come they might as well get used to the fact that mosh pits will occur and fans will scream.
Arg i'm lost in thought X_X; bleh

yeah, that's a given.. I mean, I cannot see bands like Diru coming to a convention, unless a label was sponsoring it.

Yui
02-24-2003, 01:26 AM
Hehe BG...I knew -you- enjoyed it. And the boys -were- eating it up.

My problem is that I hate being around people (i.e. packed-in.) No sense in rationalizing it in any other tactful way. That's quite plainly why I couldn't get into it most likely. I greatly dislike my space bubble invaded - which is revised for cons anyway, but the concert was too much for even that consideration. And I'm hyper-sensitive on top of it. I mean, I can't get mad at anyone but me as I inflicted this upon myself -- I just thought that it'd be -so- good that it'd cancel out my normal comfort preferences.

What I wanted was to be completely blasted away into oblivion, with all unnecessary senses negated. I didn't want to move, for that would be instinctive; I just wanted to be incapacited and well...just masslessly linked. I just wanted the stage to stand out as the only point in the universe, with audio and visuals emmenating from it alone. I know that's extremely unreasonable, but I don't really like interaction that is expected in a concert setting. I just hate interrupting artists doing their thing (even if that's what they -do- want.) Unforetunately, it's hard to let the band know how much you're enjoying them by being absolutely still -- cursed fourth-dimensional art -- and then you may in turn be affecting the bands' mood, and thus performance. To use the Black Heaven terminology, the audience's role could be said to fuel the "groove." So yeah, a little frenzy is needed or the band's not gonna wanna bother. They'd feel just awkward.

Anyway, DJ is great for a little band just getting going and can whip the crowd up well enough, but they aren't powerful enough to silence them, which takes the greatest kind of control and respect.

kirineko
02-24-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by BadtzGirl
Only at a venue with high quality sound system and a person running it that actually knows what they are doing can you really hear the vocals well. And somehow I doubt the acoustics in that room were the best. This place was decent considering it was a hotel for crying out loud.

Since I know the person personally who was running sound and provided a good portion of the sound equipment (personally, himself, out of pocket)
He was doing the best he could!!!

He probably needs a new/better vocal amp/preamp. Actually, I know he does, but...well....

(btw, he bought Val that drum kit last year for Val's birthday/for a-kon. ^_^ He also bought the Marshall amps for Shun and Yuya.)

The people running the sound were not to blame. Both people responsible did actually know what they were doing, and they did the best they could with what they had at hand, but...

the room did not have the best acoustics, for one. I also am not sure how they had the speakers set up, but I don't think they had speakers in the back like at A-kon.

And..and...I have to personally defend the main sound tech because I know him, and I know he did the best he could, and spent the rest of the con agonizing over everything that went 'wrong', among other things. I also know he is the sweetest guy in the world and drove all the way from Texas to Virginia and back just to be there, and bring DJ their equipment. He does actually know what he is doing, but there is only so much that he can do with the soundboard he has, and with the microphones, etc. Especially since he bought a good portion of what you saw onstage out of his own pocket, and he does not have a well paid job.

Anyway. Uhm, and I was up front, so....>.> You guys in the back can hate me.

kirineko
02-24-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Yui
Hehe BG...I knew -you- enjoyed it. And the boys -were- eating it up.

My problem is that I hate being around people (i.e. packed-in.) No sense in rationalizing it in any other tactful way. That's quite plainly why I couldn't get into it most likely. I greatly dislike my space bubble invaded - which is revised for cons anyway, but the concert was too much for even that consideration. And I'm hyper-sensitive on top of it. I mean, I can't get mad at anyone but me as I inflicted this upon myself -- I just thought that it'd be -so- good that it'd cancel out my normal comfort preferences.

What I wanted was to be completely blasted away into oblivion, with all unnecessary senses negated. I didn't want to move, for that would be instinctive; I just wanted to be incapacited and well...just masslessly linked. I just wanted the stage to stand out as the only point in the universe, with audio and visuals emmenating from it alone. I know that's extremely unreasonable, but I don't really like interaction that is expected in a concert setting. I just hate interrupting artists doing their thing (even if that's what they -do- want.) Unforetunately, it's hard to let the band know how much you're enjoying them by being absolutely still -- cursed fourth-dimensional art -- and then you may in turn be affecting the bands' mood, and thus performance. To use the Black Heaven terminology, the audience's role could be said to fuel the "groove." So yeah, a little frenzy is needed or the band's not gonna wanna bother. They'd feel just awkward.

Anyway, DJ is great for a little band just getting going and can whip the crowd up well enough, but they aren't powerful enough to silence them, which takes the greatest kind of control and respect.

Acoustic live at A-kon. Promise, and the cover of Jupiter by Buck-Tick. EVERYONE in the audience was moving back and forth, in sync with Hayato, staring at the stage. Several people started crying, including me. It was one of the most beautiful moments in my life.

I didn't get that feeling, that sense of camaraderie at Katsucon at all. Noone bounced back and forth with Hayato. ;_; I tried, but...

I guess the point is...yes, Duel Jewel is capable of inspiring moments of absolute beauty and awe. They managed this at A-kon. I don't know why it didn't happen at Katsuon, except maybe there were too many people standing in the back in uncomfortable shoes, and too many big egos? I don't know.

Also, on Sunday, most everyone at a con let's their hair down, so to speak. People relax, most of them aren't in costume, and...are more open? People are closer.

If there was any performance of Duel Jewel's I wish you could have seen, it would have been the acoustic live on Sunday. Except we were all packed into the bar like little sardines. x.X But there were chairs, so some amount of personal space could be maintained.

And the concert at a-kon was much more packed, much more frenetic. I was up front, and I could actually MOVE. I was not shove up against the people in front of me, and I Didn't have 50 fangirls trying to shove me to the front. There is that, after all. I am scared to see what it is going to be this year. >.>

Michi
02-24-2003, 11:46 AM
I saw them at A-kon... I was sitting at the way back of the ballroom, next to the tech crew. Actually, I was sitting on the tech crew platform. ^_^; I could hear it just fine, and it was great. They were great live, and as has been said, really know how to get an audience going. o.o

Claiiiiiiire, whatcha mean they aren't a "real" indies band? @_x

I'm doing Cyberland Gackt cosplay. >.> *koff*

soshi
02-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Michi
Claiiiiiiire, whatcha mean they aren't a "real" indies band? @_x

I'm doing Cyberland Gackt cosplay. >.> *koff*

IM me and I'll explain... o.o;

wheeeee Cyberland. *runs around in silver and orange hat*

Lilli
02-24-2003, 12:25 PM
._. Muehehee, whats that you say? 4 down, 1 to go? :3

die-sama
02-24-2003, 04:38 PM
soshi your real name is claire @_@?

Yui
02-24-2003, 05:55 PM
hey die-chan, sorry to concern you so much. Yes, I -do- like DJ and I wish for more people to experience them (which of course would hopefully lead to a greater appreciation for other j-rock) I also would be willing to see any band that performs at any con that I can get to - I'm not going to judge anyone ahead of time. Actually, I'd probably give DJ another shot live too if I saw them again. Now that I know what to expect, I can better handle the situation. (Yeah, I know, I'm 22 and have never been to a concert ever before. & that's not even the peak of my oddities.)

Just needed to vent a bit, and was scouting other reactions. Didn't mean to instigate an uprising against any band or genre.

Nene
02-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Mwa, honestly, I had an AWESOME time, and just wish I could've stay Saturday night to have gotten snowed in Sunday -^ ^;;;

But the energy from the concert was awesome, and the acoustic was even better, since I got to stand up infront of the pillar (ohoho..) right next to me for a perfect view -^ ^- (and even got to sketch them..) I really wanna see them at the A-kon this year, but I dunno if I can go..(I live all the way in MD, and with an overprotective mother who'll lemme go to another country across the country for a year in high school, but won' even lemme stay in a hotel room for acon..ugh..). Me and my friend, Shanpyuu, were dying to go last year, too, to see them live, but, of course, couldn't -x_x;; (and listening to kirineko's describtions, and seems like I'm missing out on sooo much...::pout:: )

And with the random things that Duel Jewel were throwing off the stage, this girl (who i dun even like that much but she hangs around with me at school) got Natsuki's pic...or Shun's..she's not even sure (b/c she can't even tell the difference!! That really pisses me off, too, because she was really one of those rabid fangirls who were there just to see the pretty boys and didn't even know who the hell Duel Jewel was,) of course, now, all of a sudden, she's Duel Jewel's BIGGEST fan in the world, because she touched Hayato's hand (ooo, i bet she can now has holy powers and can play god! -9.9-) Oh! And please forgive me for these girls, they were some of the rabid fangirls, that tried to strip Natsuki when he feel into the crowd..-= =;;; thankfully, i was far away from them.... but i even heard that some of the fans even groped poor Natsuki when he did jumped into the crowd! ara! -; ;-

But on another note, honestly, I know for a fact we can't get any big bands to come to the Otakon, but I wish we could get another indies jrock band to go! it was pretty fun having a jrock band at the katsucon, and even meeting some other fans from the Duel Jewel BBS. -^ ^- I wish we could somehow get Lillith or Baroque (even though their not even indies! ohoho, once were, but defently not anymore...) to go to the Otakon...I'd love to see them live....oh well, lemme drift away into my pitiful fantasies now..-e e;; Kei-san -* *-

Minakolabelle
02-24-2003, 10:46 PM
I live in Canada so there is no way I could get to katsu or A-kon, but I do want to request DJ as a guest for AN. But me trying to not ride the band wagon and just asking for them beacues their hot japanese men, I have actaully listened to their stuff and found out that I liked it before I made did anything to suggest them as a guest. Sure it would be nice and all to have a band that I do like come to AN but for the most part I know most people there will probally just go to stare at them and not enjoy the music, which makes me wanna re-think who I would like to suggeast as a guest for next year.

Minako

BadtzGirl
02-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by kirineko
Since I know the person personally who was running sound and provided a good portion of the sound equipment (personally, himself, out of pocket)
He was doing the best he could!!!

He probably needs a new/better vocal amp/preamp. Actually, I know he does, but...well....

(btw, he bought Val that drum kit last year for Val's birthday/for a-kon. ^_^ He also bought the Marshall amps for Shun and Yuya.)

The people running the sound were not to blame. Both people responsible did actually know what they were doing, and they did the best they could with what they had at hand, but...

No I totally belive he did the best he could. It was a hotel. It's not like they have equipment or acoustics.

And that drum kit was really cool.

I am just saying one would need amazing mad skills to do a really good job with sound. I can only imagine the amount of skill required given how few times I have really head an impressive job. I think they did a good job. I could hear the vocals a bit. You can usually tell when the opening band is using some other sound guy and it improved with the main act.

Then again I know I look like an idiot when I am at work and do not have the right equipment. No matter how mad my skills I am at the mercy of what I have to work with.

kirineko
02-25-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Nene
Me and my friend, Shanpyuu, were dying to go last year, too, to see them live, but, of course, couldn't -x_x;; (and listening to kirineko's describtions, and seems like I'm missing out on sooo much...::pout:: )

AWwwww. I am also an honest to goodness card carrying Duel Jewel..I dunno. I support the support staff. XD Something like that. So I am just a little biased towards the band. That, and well I got euphoriaed on by Shun after the concert at a-kon. ^_^ But I also was up til 6am the night before setting up their sound eq. -_-

And with the random things that Duel Jewel were throwing off the stage, this girl (who i dun even like that much but she hangs around with me at school) got Natsuki's pic...or Shun's..she's not even sure (b/c she can't even tell the difference!! That really pisses me off, too, because she was really one of those rabid fangirls who were there just to see the pretty boys and didn't even know who the hell Duel Jewel was,) of course, now, all of a sudden, she's Duel Jewel's BIGGEST fan in the world, because she touched Hayato's hand (ooo, i bet she can now has holy powers and can play god! -9.9-)

*gasp*
And my friend almost ran dead into Val in the hallway on their floor. (we were up there in search of the mythological con suite...) and...uhm, yeah. I almost got crushed by Natsuki. If he'd jumped in 2 people to the right I would have gone down.

MWAH I want pick!!! my poor friend, was one of the people video taping, and one of the pics landed on her. o.O what she described sounded like some scary horror movie or something...

Oh! And please forgive me for these girls, they were some of the rabid fangirls, that tried to strip Natsuki when he feel into the crowd..-= =;;; thankfully, i was far away from them.... but i even heard that some of the fans even groped poor Natsuki when he did jumped into the crowd! ara! -; ;-

I hate to say this, but if Natsuki bodily throws himself in with rabid fangirls, and he gets groped, he deserves it. XD

He didn't fall, well not the first time. He JUMPED. the second time Hayato pushed him.

I wish we could somehow get Lillith

Lillith? Lillith Noir? They disbanded, I believe. -_-

kirineko
02-25-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by BadtzGirl
And that drum kit was really cool.

I told him that I heard like 3 people say that wanted the drum kit. It is a cool drum kit. Yamaha Stage Custom. Except the blue floor tom.

[b]I am just saying one would need amazing mad skills to do a really good job with sound. I can only imagine the amount of skill required given how few times I have really head an impressive job. I think they did a good job. I could hear the vocals a bit. You can usually tell when the opening band is using some other sound guy and it improved with the main act.

They had the vocals up I believe as far as they would go....
and, actually at some point, Hayato's mic died.

Hey, at least they didn't blow out speakers like they did at akon!

Nene
02-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Seriously!? Lillith Noir disbanded!? that's horrible! -; ;-

I guess I'm really behind in knowing this stuff...ay..-x_x;;; but still...I'm depressed now...buu...

Dahlia
02-25-2003, 05:38 PM
ok....its nice to see I wasn't the only one a bit peeved at some of the fangirlish antics going on. I was lucky enough to get into the front row...center in front of hayato. Though I had some girls pushing me over the little yellow tape and some girl knocking me into next week when Natuski threw his pic right on the floor to my left. *shakes head* Now granted live concert fri. full of energy, Duel Jewel plays GREAT live and really knows how to hype up an audience. However at the acoustic Sat. fangirls asked REALLY pointless questions...think I recall only 2 being something interesting. Also the constant squeeling everytime Hayato hit a high note was working my last nerve. Its an acoustic...majority of us are seated.....respect the rest of us wanting to actually hear the band's performance and the band for that matter. grah....I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one who was agitated by a handful of those girls.

oh *waves to jenny* it was nice making your aquaintence finally.

Cyberland....Malice Mizer....man if you ever do this at a con I'll be at I'd be more then happy to do Mana for you guys. Yui knows me already. Luved the Filth Kaoru costume by the way, got some excellent shots of it. ^^v

soshi
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
wham bam thank-you-ma'am ~ Lilli I think you've got your Cyberland group. XD;

anyway ...

most indies bands break up within a year unless they go major. so if you want to see a band here, get in contact with them NOW! ^^; and no, it's not too hard to contact indies bands. most of them will be totally stoked they have overseas fans and want to know more about you. heh.

Yui
02-25-2003, 08:42 PM
see, I'm not the only one who was uncomfortable with the fangirl situation. I mean, screaming mindlessly at the concert is one thing, stupid questions are a greater sin. I was embarassed that they seemed to be representing all the other calmer fans.

Whee...::waves to Dahlia:: yeah, next time, make sure I actually hang out with you O_o (I'm so terrible at organizing to meet up with people.) We talked for like 2 minutes in person. So, is Cyberland for Otakon then?

kirineko
02-26-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Nene
Seriously!? Lillith Noir disbanded!? that's horrible! -; ;-

I guess I'm really behind in knowing this stuff...ay..-x_x;;; but still...I'm depressed now...buu...

http://www.lovelilith.net/

it says something in Japanese on the site. I forgot what it said, but I think Reiko said they disbanded....

Raphael Wish
02-26-2003, 04:18 PM
I want to know why they aren't a real indies band too...

I saw Duel Jewel at A-kon. Forever I will have this one image burned into my mind. I'm in the crowd. I turn around to see this ugly catgirl riding on someone's shoulders looking like she's about to take off her top. And then I turned back around and started doing some lame one-arm para-para again. Not enough room to do two-arm para-para.

Dahlia
02-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Nope you were definitely not alone when it comes to that aspect. I mean I had another set of friends who were more in front of Shun so I didn't hear there side until later that night. My one friend got pushed into at a hard force so she stepped back and stomped on the girl's foot, the girl then punched her in the back. My friend settled it by asking the girl if she wanted to take it outside and the girl then backed off. It sickens me my friend would have to be forced to even bring it to that level. Various other rude things happened to them and it put a dent in their enjoyment of the concert fri. night. *shakes head* I'm heading to Akon next....but I'm a little worried about how its going to be there. -_-o I want to actually enjoy the shows to the fullest capacity. I can understand getting pumped and a little excited but the lack of respect has got to go.

Originally posted by Yui
see, I'm not the only one who was uncomfortable with the fangirl situation. I mean, screaming mindlessly at the concert is one thing, stupid questions are a greater sin. I was embarassed that they seemed to be representing all the other calmer fans.

Whee...::waves to Dahlia:: yeah, next time, make sure I actually hang out with you O_o (I'm so terrible at organizing to meet up with people.) We talked for like 2 minutes in person. So, is Cyberland for Otakon then?

*waves back to yui* *L* I know we both were running around...I didn't think I'd actually see you at all. Cyberland for Ota? I could probably swing that, would we have a full group or do we need anybody? Ota. will have to schedule a meeting time then...especially if were cosplaying together. =P

die-sama
03-01-2003, 02:25 PM
i suppose everyone sorta gets beat up at anime/jrock concerts *falls oveR*

kirineko
03-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by die-chan
i suppose everyone sorta gets beat up at anime/jrock concerts *falls oveR*

Well, it's just a matter of a bunch of people packed into a tight space, trying to get as close to the stage as possible. People are going to get shoved up against other people, people are going to run into other people.

If you thought Katsucon was bad, A-kon was 20 times first. First, as opposed to 400 people, there were 1200 people at the concert at A-kon. I could actually BREATHE at Katsucon, whereas at A-kon I had no room to do even that. There WAS no defined line, and the security was bad, though I DOUBT that 5 security guards would have been able to hold out against 1200 people pushing forward. And some of those people had no choice BUT to be shoved forward.

The whole point is, it's a concert. People are going to push forward, or get pushed forward. Girls are going to reach back and repeatedly bump into your lip piercings. Someone will likely step on your foot. That doesn't mean they are doing it ON PURPOSE. It's dark, and hell, I certainly couldn't see where my feet were going. I've accidentally bopped some girl upside the head at a club in NYC. People are moving around, and not paying attention to where they are going, accidents are bound to happen.

Accidents.

So, let's not propogate these accidents into full blown INCIDENTS. I mean, there were enough injuries as was, from flying picks, drumsticks, and bassists....we don't need a fist fight breaking out in the 'pit'.

kirineko
03-01-2003, 03:06 PM
sorry to drag this from the vaults, but, eh...

Originally posted by soshi
=/
(and Duel Jewel isn't even a "real" indies band. >_<; I've had it checked)

Really? they aren't?

I'd be interested in knowing your qualifications for being a "real" indies band...

I mean they certainly meet all the qualifications that I know of:

a)They are a band. They do, in fact, physically exist
b)they are signed to an independent record label, Cyberforce.

They DO meet the basic qualifications.

They also perform with quite a few other indies bands, and do lots of things indies bands do, like appear on indies omnibuses, and what not.

Now, if there are FURTHER qualifications for being a "real" indies band that I am not aware of, I'd REALLY like to know.

But, as far as I am concerned, if it looks like an apple and tastes like an apple, then by gosh, it IS an apple.

Luna Moon
03-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Bull sh*t!

Duel Jewel is an Indies J-Rock band....

They are a band on an individual label....

That's all the qualifications that they need to pass...

-Luna-

Yui
03-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Oh by the gods, Soshi...would you stop dwelling in your pm darkness and just officially settle this on this thread or somewhere? You're whipping these girls into a frenzy and I'm not qualified to answer up to this.

(By the way, just to give you DJ fanatics some peace, they -are- on their way to becoming a real indies band starting like...right now. Up til now, at the past cons, they were not. They are real, they are a band, but the indies thing was the debatable adjective until recently.)