PDA

View Full Version : J-Rock/Pop and Cosplay

Jibrille
07-31-2002, 09:57 PM
alright, i am not going to put my thoughts out on this one yet.
I am really curious.

Do any of you think anime/manga/game based cosplay should be judged seprately from j-rock? or should they be in the same category?
do you think they are different/same? why?

i have pondered this, and my friends and i have discussed it.
just wondering if anyone else has thought about it and what they think.

^^

Youta20
07-31-2002, 11:37 PM
I don't think so, I think there is too lil Jpop-rock cosplay out there to do a decent contest, But I do see your point

shiroi_yukiko
08-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Not really... There is a good point there, but cosplay is cosplay. Most people don't even realize j-rock/pop cosplay when they see it anyway. ^^ And there's just so so little of it. (need more!!!)

Ayaka
08-01-2002, 05:17 PM
I think it's different basing a costume on something that's existed in reality versus making something that was heretofore 2D. J-rock cosplay has mad levels of detail going on, because of that. But whether it's different enough to be judged separately, I don't know. Maybe a special j-rock cosplayers award added to masquerades, without them technically being in another category? Eh, what do I know anyway . . .

Oh yeah, what I was saying, I don't think it's easier or harder necessarily because you're recreating something from reality. The outfits are more complex, because there's only so much you can draw or animate (fabric textures, for one). But they also have to obey the laws of physics. XD

arisuchan
08-01-2002, 06:34 PM
i know I've had this conversation with Jibrille many times, but my opinion is that they should be judged seperatly. Jrock and anime are two different genre so the cosplaying of them should be seperate. Besides if they were judged seperatly more people would get awards and more people could walk away happy *^^*

Michi
08-01-2002, 08:41 PM
I like the fact that A-kon has two masquerades... They've got the main one and then a mini Jrock/pop Cosplay. I think that's one of the better ways to do it... and like the AX Jrock Events? I didn't manage to attend them, but stuff like that is a good idea.

Yeah. ^^;

Lady_Sephiroth
08-03-2002, 09:42 PM
I agree that J-Rock is a separate genre -- The whole look and feel of the costumes is different, at least to me -- I would like to see them judged as at least a separate category in the main cosplay. You have to convey a totally different attitude and style tring to be a J-Rock idol that, say tring to be in character playing Sakura for example. It IS a different arena and should be treated as such.

But this is only my 2 yen....

Scoti
08-04-2002, 09:50 AM
I think they should have a seprate masquerade for that because even if judges will look at the two costume seprately, it will still come to the point where they have to pick a "best in show". When was that last time a J-rock costume won over a Gundam costume?..none that I can remeber.

I had an argument with my friend over this who insists that J-rock/pop costumes are not considered cosplay since they are alreday "real" people in fancy clothes. So to her it's like some girl running on stage at a Japanese convention in a Britney Spears costume..

Ranma Saotome
08-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Not enough j-rock/pop cosplayers out there to be put in a seperate category if you ask me.

Integral
08-04-2002, 08:35 PM
At A-kon, there were plenty to fill out a contest. I do think that it is better left seperate, as the mediums are completely different. It also gives the J-rock fans a good way to hook up with each other, and a place for them all to gather. While J-pop rooms at conventions will certainly draw fans, you'll get the most in one time& place at costuming event like that. Plus, it encourages future J-pop/J-rock costuming. There has been some debate lately over how appropriate J-rock costumes are at an anime convention.. and including J-rock costumes in the main masquarade event only adds fuel to the fire. I like the costuming event that Radio Wasabi hosts at A-kon every year.

Yukai
08-04-2002, 10:03 PM
I think that they should be seperated. But I have a few problems with some J-Rockers I met...they just picked a picture of an outfit and did it, but they knew nothing about backgroung....*~growls~* But that is my thing. I know a few J-Rockers that wish there would be a bigger following so they could have their own convention. (I'm not quite sure if there are any, if there are, please enlighten me! ^.~)