PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy photo salvage

Shine-Chan
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I just got back from a photo shoot by the arch in St. Louis and everything seamed fine at the time but when I looked at the photos on my computer they were a fuzzy mess. Here is an example of the problem http://photobucket.com/albums/f390/Stella443/?action=viewĄt=PICT0313.jpg

I think what happened was the camera was set on close up mode and I didn't realize un till we went back to our hotel and tried to do some indoor shots. I have picasa and infranview and a very limited knowledge of how to work with them.

Is there any way to salvage them?

The Lord XL
03-21-2006, 06:14 PM
If this was on film I could help you out, but unfortunately I cannot. I highly doubt you will be able to salvage these photos. If there is a way to do it, I am not aware of it.

As for your camera... I've taken dozens of photos on macro mode on my point and shoots, I don't think it is the problem. Quite possibly your camera's auto focus programming is messed up. Then again, I know nothing about D-P&S and how they work.

-Waits for Staereo to share his expert knowledge ^_^ -

Ami Yuy
03-21-2006, 07:22 PM
If they're all like that, then there's no way to save them.

This is where I'd highly recommend looking at the photos as you take them. You probably can zoom in on the pictures when you're in viewing mode and that's how I'd check how sharp they are. Generally this is done by going to view the images and then using whatever buttons you use to zoom with, zoom in on the image to see what it looks like. To get out of it you can zoom back out or just go back to picture taking mode.

Try pressing the shutter button half-way down before you take a shot to focus the camera and then the rest of the way down to take the shot, this gives the camera time to make sure it's correctly focused.

SolarTempest
03-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I can't really help you out either... that's so frustrating!

stefaniecat
03-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Hmm...

There are sharpness filters in Adobe Photoshop that can help when the camera's focus is just a tad 'off' ... However, in this case, I don't think there's anything it can do because the focus is so extremely off. (Don't have photoshop atm to try and see how much can be done)

Unfortunatly for you, I'd recomend a re-shoot... I think that you'll end up with better results than trying to 'salvage' the set. This next time around,
I'd definitly check the camera and make sure you have it on auto focus, or are aware when you're on manual focus to adjust the focus yourself. Even when in close up mode (flower icon?) on your digital camera, the camera will still be attempting to do autofocusing when you hold the shutter button down halfway.

Shine-Chan
03-23-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the help. I knew it was most likely a lost cause but I didn't want to admit it.
St Louis is a bit far for me but hopefully we can go back this summer when everything is in bloom. It is just so aggravating because the shots look so good in the thumbnail. I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3710 and my manual disappeared with the software just shortly after I got it so I have no idea how to change focus modes. Most of the time it works just fine even with my minimal knowledge.

It was set on the flower icon. I think my friend may have thought it was a zoom control. Now she knows how to work it so the next batch should come out fine.

Ami Yuy
03-23-2006, 03:34 AM
I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3710 and my manual disappeared with the software just shortly after I got it so I have no idea how to change focus modes. Most of the time it works just fine even with my minimal knowledge.

http://www.vivitar.co.uk/CustService/driverindex3700.html#3700series
You can download the manual there. It's not a paper one, but it's better than none. ^_^

Shine-Chan
03-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Thank you Ami Yuy. I think reading that will help me learn how to get some better shots and then go back to the arch when it isn't so freaking cold. I am so very jealous of people in Florida right now. The guy on the radio said it may snow tonight. So much for spring brake.

Karisu-sama
03-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Sadly, this is well out of "soft-focus" range, and therefore not salvageable. :( Better luck with your next photoshoot!