PDA

View Full Version : water proofing cams?

Chibi-kun
03-22-2006, 01:50 AM
We're scheduled to do a KH photoshoot at the beach and I was asked to try to go into the water as Sora inhopes to do some in water shots and I wanted to ask if there was anyway to help prevent the camera we use from getting water in it. Obviously, we are in no budget to purchase a water proof camera and I'm not entirely sure how strong the waves will be at the time of the shoot and we just want to make sure if there was any tips to help keep the camera from getting wet and at the same time get some pretty decent shots.
a friend suggested wrapping it in zip lock but i'm not too confident with that idea. We could always have the photographer but I doubt we would get any of the shots we wanted from that view.

and no, i doubt we'll be doing any underwater shots. Not with the camera we have in hand thats for sure.

thanks.

jtnishi
03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
As long as you're not going to be putting the camera directly into the water, a ziploc bag with a good seal should actually be sufficient. I'd actually almost be more concerned about the salt in the air over the water, to be honest.

I should note, however, that I haven't tried this, and that a ziploc back, while mostly transparent, isn't completely such, so it may have an effect on the output. If in doubt, just go get a disposable film camera, and use that instead. At least if that fails, the worse thing that happens is that the cheap camera breaks, and you're out a few bucks.

The Lost Catboy
03-22-2006, 12:33 PM
What kind of camera are you using? If you're using a point-and-shoot, you can go buy disposable underwater cameras (mostly for touristy-type use) for about $10-15. If you're using one of the more common SLRs, a good camera store may have some submersible housings you can rent for a day or two, fairly cheap. You lock your existing camera inside, hook up some wiring, and use the controls from the outside. Some of the housings themselves are pretty cheap, too, depending on your particular camera - I've seen them as low as $30 and as high as $300.

SolarTempest
03-22-2006, 02:17 PM
If you're not dunking your camera around, a ziploc should do a fine job. Make sure to get some high quality REAL ziploc bags. It's also a good idea to bag the camera before you actually get on the beach - sand will interfere with the sealing of the bag.

However, if you're using a SLR... I don't think there's any cheap solution (aside from renting).

Chibi-kun
03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
The camera i'm using is the Kodak EASYSHARE Z7590 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml;jsessionid=112VVNKH1Z2JHFW4FBEHW D2W1YUBI4L4?pq-path=6723&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=24818) and no, were not putting it under water. Too risky. But I guess i'll look into the housings for cameras then :D
thanks

SolarTempest
03-22-2006, 02:59 PM
The camera i'm using is the Kodak EASYSHARE Z7590 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml;jsessionid=112VVNKH1Z2JHFW4FBEHW D2W1YUBI4L4?pq-path=6723&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=24818) and no, were not putting it under water. Too risky. But I guess i'll look into the housings for cameras then :D
thanks
Ahh, you probably want to look into some rain/splash covers for SLRs. On example is:
http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=7596664757