PDA

View Full Version : D. Gray Man~Project Dark Religious Organization

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Tifa Lin
03-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Konnichiwa Minna-san!!!

Ok...I'm planing for a couple D. Gray Man cosplays and I was wondering it anyone could help me on it. Any tips and suggestions are welcomed.

The characters I shall be cosplaying as are:

-Rinari Ri
Pic:

-Yu Khanda
Pic: 18331

Together: http://www.freephotoserver.com/v001/Sarasnufkin/001002.jpg

For Rinari's shoes...woudl these work:
http://www.electriqueboutique.com/shop/proddetail.asp?id=ADA-BW

For the accesories:
These are what I found online...and I would love to buy them...only does anyone know if Cosmint ships and takes U.S orders?

Cross: http://www.cosmint.co.jp/shopping/item/d062_.html
http://www.cosmint.co.jp/shopping/item/d081_.html

Buttons: http://www.cosmint.co.jp/shopping/item/d063.html

I'd also like to know if anyone has more pics and versions....I love to do all there versions in the manga

As you can see...I've sorta got a start....
I've seen many good cosplays of this series so anyone with advice or tips...please speak up. I value you opinions and help on this.

ANything is greatly appreciated...Thank you!

yamibakura03
03-25-2006, 07:04 PM
hiya
cool more d-gray man cosplayers i did rabi and will cosplay him again in august. hmm those boots for rinari look good for her since they go up to her thighs

never bought anything from cosmint so i can't help you in that.

Tifa Lin
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
hiya
cool more d-gray man cosplayers i did rabi and will cosplay him again in august. hmm those boots for rinari look good for her since they go up to her thighs

never bought anything from cosmint so i can't help you in that.

Thanks for your imput....yeah...I'm not sure about the Cosmint deal either...T.T

Um...you say that you're doing Rabi...if you are doing him, where do you find his cross...the only ones I found were on Cosmint but I know there are other places to find them...

Also..do you have any good pics of Rinari and Yu? I can't seem to find anything cept thouse few that are really good....

yamibakura03
03-25-2006, 07:43 PM
let me see if i got some pics of rinari and yui. ill post them here when i find them and the cross you say?
i made it actually using some rod and cute some styrene sheet to make it looks spiky and all. also i added some parts with foam so i wont be be poking people ^^"""

have you check ebay? or maybe commisoners how much to make one.

Tifa Lin
03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
let me see if i got some pics of rinari and yui. ill post them here when i find them and the cross you say?
i made it actually using some rod and cute some styrene sheet to make it looks spiky and all. also i added some parts with foam so i wont be be poking people ^^"""

have you check ebay? or maybe commisoners how much to make one.

Ebay....hmmm....the list is quite long on the whole cosplaying subject and when I searched under D. Gray Man...I came up with the manga and posters and such...but I'm still looking through that 1000+ list they got...

Commisioners...I'll see if all else fails...I might have to special order it from somewhere...maybe ask someone to ship it to me...

Honestly...I'm still debating on whether to ask someone that lives in Japan to buy it and ship it to me...

So yeah...but besides that I also need help on the materials....

yamibakura03
03-25-2006, 08:07 PM
if you got friends who lived in japan or someone you know then be easy to ask them if they can buy it for you.

this are some i got of rinari. still looking for yui

maybe be easier if you type "d-gray man cosplay, or d-gray man costume. less chances of other stuff and getting the stuff you want to see on ebay

Tifa Lin
03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
if you got friends who lived in japan or someone you know then be easy to ask them if they can buy it for you.

this are some i got of rinari. still looking for yui

maybe be easier if you type "d-gray man cosplay, or d-gray man costume. less chances of other stuff and getting the stuff you want to see on ebay

*Hugs* Oh THANK YOU!!!

and yeah...I tried that...only got me the ready-made costumes...
I do know of one person in Japan....but he currently has his share of personal issues so I really don't wanna bug him with something like this....so I gotta find another way...

Again...thanks sooo much for helping me!

Jekka
03-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Good luck!! I'm currently putting together an Allen cosplay - the coat is a hell of a hassle. Those buttons are beautiful, though. There aren't too many cosplay shops in my area (I'm in Sapporo, Hokkaido) that I've found, but picking up a set of those sure would be easier than, say, making them. *fails at art*. A bit pricey, though. Aah, what we do for convenience... Good luck! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Tifa Lin
03-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Good luck!! I'm currently putting together an Allen cosplay - the coat is a hell of a hassle. Those buttons are beautiful, though. There aren't too many cosplay shops in my area (I'm in Sapporo, Hokkaido) that I've found, but picking up a set of those sure would be easier than, say, making them. *fails at art*. A bit pricey, though. Aah, what we do for convenience... Good luck! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thank you soo much...and yeah...Allen's coat does look alittle hard to do. Hopefully I'll find someone that lives in Japan's that willing to buy them and ship them to me...:blubber: ....although that's sorta rare....:bigcry:

yamibakura03
03-25-2006, 08:41 PM
your welcome ^^. im sure you will find someone to purchase it.

Tifa Lin
03-25-2006, 08:43 PM
your welcome ^^. im sure you will find someone to purchase it.

LOL....thanks...

oh..BTW...I'm a HUGE Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan...mainly Bakura and a few others....^^

Anyone else?

Genesis_13
03-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm working on a Rinali costume right now, too!

I have a ton of screencap-like piccies from the manga of 2 of her "Dark Boots" versions (the first one you see, and then later on the ship).

Those boots might work, but you'd have to cut out a portion of the back because of the way her boots are shaped, and the heels are a little bit high, but they can still work. I'm taking the cheap way out, I bought black pumps and I'm making bootcovers for them ^^;;

If you want the pics, PM me cause there are too many to post (around 30-40). ^^

Oooh, are those pics from a calendar? I want one!

Tifa Lin
03-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm working on a Rinali costume right now, too!

I have a ton of screencap-like piccies from the manga of 2 of her "Dark Boots" versions (the first one you see, and then later on the ship).

Those boots might work, but you'd have to cut out a portion of the back because of the way her boots are shaped, and the heels are a little bit high, but they can still work. I'm taking the cheap way out, I bought black pumps and I'm making bootcovers for them ^^;;

If you want the pics, PM me cause there are too many to post (around 30-40). ^^

Oooh, are those pics from a calendar? I want one!

OH Thank You!!!!
Wow...this thread is working better then I thought! I'm gettting alot of good advice! Thank you soo much!

Any other suggestions welcomed! (^_^)

yamibakura03
03-26-2006, 01:56 PM
LOL....thanks...

oh..BTW...I'm a HUGE Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan...mainly Bakura and a few others....^^

Anyone else?

thats great ^^ im a ryou fan (aka:hikari of yami no bakura)

to Genesis_13: sounds like great progress. iliked the pics too hehe

Tifa Lin
03-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Ok!! Any suggestions on the material....like what it should be?

yamibakura03
03-26-2006, 09:26 PM
hmm lets see. uniforms. um..i would used the fabric that suits are made dont remember the name

Tifa Lin
03-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I've seen most people use that shiny pleather...but would normal leathery pleather work...like the typs Tifa wears in Advent Children?

Genesis_13
03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I've been debating this too. I think that the "shiny" quality of the black outfits may not be shiny fabric, but rather the drawing style of the artist. I also don't think it's that pleathery kind because it would be very uncomfortable (for characters and for you) and the way it bunches and folds in the manga doesn't look that way. I agree that you could use material that suits are made of. I'm probably just going to use ordinary black fabric, probably stiffer than just cotton though. If it's just cotton it'll wrinkle too easily and won't look right, because you can see that her skirt panel-thing isn't all wrinkly, it usually just looks flat.

Tifa Lin
03-26-2006, 11:17 PM
I've been debating this too. I think that the "shiny" quality of the black outfits may not be shiny fabric, but rather the drawing style of the artist. I also don't think it's that pleathery kind because it would be very uncomfortable (for characters and for you) and the way it bunches and folds in the manga doesn't look that way. I agree that you could use material that suits are made of. I'm probably just going to use ordinary black fabric, probably stiffer than just cotton though. If it's just cotton it'll wrinkle too easily and won't look right, because you can see that her skirt panel-thing isn't all wrinkly, it usually just looks flat.

True....but them again..it could be a mixture of both...hmmm...this is soo tough....>.>

The Metric Ruler
03-27-2006, 09:46 AM
My fiancée (Rinali) and I (Komui) are making D.Gray-Man costumes so it's nice to see some more DGM cosplayers emerging. :)

We used a wool blend fabric very similar to wool crepe because they suit the style of the DGM military-esque uniforms. The fabric has a good weight and the synthetic blend makes them less likely wrinkle. We were lucky to find our buttons on eBay awhile ago from a Hong Kong seller but it looks like their account was suspended/removed by eBay. Perhaps you will have better luck in the future because of DGM's rising popularity.

For the cross, we are thinking about using foil transfer paper or making them from craft foam/foamies.

yamibakura03
03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
My fiancée (Rinali) and I (Komui) are making D.Gray-Man costumes so it's nice to see some more DGM cosplayers emerging. :)

We used a wool blend fabric very similar to wool crepe because they suit the style of the DGM military-esque uniforms. The fabric has a good weight and the synthetic blend makes them less likely wrinkle. We were lucky to find our buttons on eBay awhile ago from a Hong Kong seller but it looks like their account was suspended/removed by eBay. Perhaps you will have better luck in the future because of DGM's rising popularity.

For the cross, we are thinking about using foil transfer paper or making them from craft foam/foamies.

that is a good fabric choice. ill probably used something else, but not cotton something abit stiffer.

Tifa Lin
03-27-2006, 06:01 PM
What do you suggest for the buttons?
I've gotten a suggestion of putty from my friend Mikazuki Akane...but I'd like to also know different suggestions and ideas. I was also think of making them outta a few big buttons by painting and such. But I also had the idea of hand making them and attaching them to a safety pin for it to be easy to take off and on for washing without ruining the buttons themselves...would it work? And if so...what materials should I use for the molding?

For the cross...I've never used craft foam so I really don't know much bout it...

If I can, I would soooo pay extra to have them shipped to me...hmmm....maybe I should make a request....not sure on that

Also, I seen most with the patch cross instead of the pin...so I was wondering if there was a place that sells the patch

Genesis_13
03-27-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm personally going to make the buttons out of paperclay, which is really lightweight and air-dry-able. What I'll do is, once I'm done, and while it's wet, I'm going to put in a bent piece of wire with two loops sticking out; in other words, loops I can sew onto. Since Rinali only has a couple of the buttons, I'm only going to hand-sew them on, and then redo them after I wash them.

I'm also considering trying some of the more complex techniques, like making molds and making resin copies to make it easier for me.

For the cross, I was thinking just using silver-y color of sheet metal, but the sharp edges would make things difficult. So I'm probably going to use foamcore for a base and craft foam/cardboard/etc for the details, and then silver-foil it all. Silver paint would work too but in my experience foil looks much more realistic.

SpookyElectric
03-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I've been playing w/ the idea of DGM cosplay. (Though it's not likely any time soon) For material, I was thinking somewhat heavy black fabric. Like a trenchcoat, since for the guys, that's what what it is. The leather type stuff to me doesn't seem quite right for a religious organization.

For the cross, I notice in a number of images in the manga, it seems to bend with the frabric. That would indicate to me that it's a patch embroidered on, or a flexible metal. Maybe get some aluminum flashing from Home Depot and cut & sand it? Or maybe use a sheet of that thin flexible foam they sell at craft stores...

For the buttons, in small quantaties, using sculpey clay on top of metal buttons should work well. Or then there's resin casting, which it looks like the ones at cosmint are, and how I was planning on doing mine.

yamibakura03
03-28-2006, 11:06 AM
usually for the cross, i used stryene sheet or plastic that can be bended and cut out. also i sand it so the tiny edges wont hurt anyone. im extra careful with it, and aluminum can cut to.

Tifa Lin
03-28-2006, 05:50 PM
For the buttons: I think it sculpy clay might work...but is it heavy? On the resin casting: I'm completely new to it so I really don't know how to resin cast them...help there would be nice. Also....where would I be able to find these materials?

For the cross: Should I just find a custuom embroidery place....find a large pic of the cross, and just ask them to embroider it on?

yamibakura03
03-28-2006, 07:45 PM
For the buttons: I think it sculpy clay might work...but is it heavy? On the resin casting: I'm completely new to it so I really don't know how to resin cast them...help there would be nice. Also....where would I be able to find these materials?

For the cross: Should I just find a custuom embroidery place....find a large pic of the cross, and just ask them to embroider it on?

im pretty sure they can. or you can buy a wooden cross and just add the remain decorations or cut it. your choice.

Tifa Lin
03-28-2006, 07:57 PM
im pretty sure they can. or you can buy a wooden cross and just add the remain decorations or cut it. your choice.

Hm...Im gonna do the embroidery idea...but I need a really big pic of the cross....anybody got one?

Also....I still need help with the buttons...

minuberry
03-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Hello. I just came across this post^-^ But if anyone is interested in commissioning costumes from D.Grayman, I would love to help out. I have done them before, plus, the buttons and cross emblem comes with it. (They look exactly like the manga) If anyone is interested, PM or email me at minuberry@msn.com
Or online on AIM; sn is minuberry
Thanks

yamibakura03
03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Hello. I just came across this post^-^ But if anyone is interested in commissioning costumes from D.Grayman, I would love to help out. I have done them before, plus, the buttons and cross emblem comes with it. (They look exactly like the manga) If anyone is interested, PM or email me at minuberry@msn.com
Thanks

thanks for the info. and ill take note of that, i might need a one child size for allen if i dont have time.

Tifa Lin
03-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks

Awesome! Thanks for the post....MAJOR help!

Jekka
03-29-2006, 08:43 PM
My coat is about 80% done -- I have placeholder buttons in place until I can get my hands on better ones, and for the moment all of the spots where some metallic detail ought to go (there are bolt-like details here and there, and of course that damn cross patch.. not sure yet what I'll do with that) have just silver pleathery things there instead, for me to swap out later. Aside from that, I just need to add the white and black wide beltish section that Allen has on the back of his coat.

And, you know, lose about two inches from my hips, because I'm an IDIOT.

Tifa Lin
03-29-2006, 08:52 PM
My coat is about 80% done -- I have placeholder buttons in place until I can get my hands on better ones, and for the moment all of the spots where some metallic detail ought to go (there are bolt-like details here and there, and of course that damn cross patch.. not sure yet what I'll do with that) have just silver pleathery things there instead, for me to swap out later. Aside from that, I just need to add the white and black wide beltish section that Allen has on the back of his coat.

And, you know, lose about two inches from my hips, because I'm an IDIOT.

Awesome....congrats man! Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to start ANY costumes yet because of schooling....but I will plan out them so that by that time, I'll be ready.

Also, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone! I never though this thread would be soo popular since not many people know about this manga. Also, your help and tips are really handy!

hmmm....do you think this is considered the official D. Gray Man thread? I mean, so many people are sharing their ideas and what characters they're being....it's sooo great!

hehehe...yes...I know....I'm rambling....but this is how I really feel!

Ok....so far I'm doing Linali and Yu officially, but more might come along the way...so yeah.....be prepared.

On Yu: Anyone got some really good pics? I haven't been able to buy the manga officially....all I've done was go and look at it in the store...

Genesis_13
03-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, it isn't released yet, but I can tell you when I buy it I'm gonna be taking screenshots/scans like crazy >< If you can wait until the middle of May I can get some high-quality ones...

Tifa Lin
03-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, it isn't released yet, but I can tell you when I buy it I'm gonna be taking screenshots/scans like crazy >< If you can wait until the middle of May I can get some high-quality ones...

Sure! I can wait...Thanks!

yamibakura03
03-29-2006, 11:58 PM
my friend bought the manga (jap). so ill ask him to let me see a few scenes hopefully i can scan it.

Tifa Lin
03-30-2006, 12:20 AM
my friend bought the manga (jap). so ill ask him to let me see a few scenes hopefully i can scan it.

Thanks! That would be really helpful...

Also...I decided to try out Rinari's Hairstyle....what do you think so far?

Note: This is just a trial test...it's not final....if it was...I'd be a bad Rinari Ri...^^;

The Metric Ruler
03-30-2006, 07:07 AM
For the cross, I notice in a number of images in the manga, it seems to bend with the frabric. That would indicate to me that it's a patch embroidered on, or a flexible metal. Maybe get some aluminum flashing from Home Depot and cut & sand it? Or maybe use a sheet of that thin flexible foam they sell at craft stores...
You think so? I never noticed this before but all the DGM cosplayers that I've seen realized the cross in a metal/badge/pin fashion. I'll have to go back through all my manga. I can't believe we never noticed that before...

For those that have read far enough: old or new? :D

Also...I decided to try out Rinari's Hairstyle....what do you think so far?

Note: This is just a trial test...it's not final....if it was...I'd be a bad Rinari Ri...^^;
I think if you straightened the ponytails a bit more and moved them forward a bit, it would look great. Not that it doesn't now but I see that it's a only trial style right now.

Tifa Lin
03-30-2006, 07:58 AM
You think so? I never noticed this before but all the DGM cosplayers that I've seen realized the cross in a metal/badge/pin fashion. I'll have to go back through all my manga. I can't believe we never noticed that before...

Yeah, I seemed to noticed that too in the manga at the fan art...so I might have to get it embroidered but just in case, I'm gonna buy the cross pin as a back up.

???

I think if you straightened the ponytails a bit more and moved them forward a bit, it would look great. Not that it doesn't now but I see that it's a only trial style right now.

Yeah....don't worry, you critique really helps. I welcome to all suggestions to get it right. I was already gonna buy a straightne for Tifa's hair and while I'm at that, I waas gonna buy a curler as well. But I haven't found time yet....but I will...soon....^^

SpookyElectric
03-30-2006, 10:58 AM

I uploaded some reference images from the scanlations that I've been reading:

http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/cosplay-reference/dgm/Ch14_05.jpg
When Yu's coat gets cut, were it metal, the cross wouldn't be split like that.

http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/cosplay-reference/dgm/D.Gray-man_v02_%23008.jpg
Here also, it looks like it curves around his body rather than being rigid and flat.

http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/cosplay-reference/dgm/9_07.jpg
Here in the middle, right frame with Yu, it clearly curves with his clothing. I'd imagine that is deliberate, since drawing it rigid/straight would be easier.

I do think metal makes sense practically, and probably looks better. But from the manga, it looks like it is flexible, i.e. embroidery. On the other hand, like a lot of manga, there is a sime inconsitencies in the art, and I'd bet you can find places where were it emboidered it should curve, but instead it looks rigid. So you might as well go with whatever to feel is best.

Also, for the patterns on it, the version for sale on the Japanese site is an excellent reference. Though the characters is the middle appear to be Hebrew, and normally would have somewhat heavier weight for certain strokes (at least as I see Hebrew written normally, and how it is in the manga). For other reference, here are some relevant scanlation pages:
http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/cosplay-reference/dgm/DGrayman0012.jpg
http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/cosplay-reference/dgm/D.Gray-man_v03_%23005-%23006.jpg
http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/cosplay-reference/dgm/Ch14_06.jpg

minuberry
03-30-2006, 01:27 PM

Well... I do like the new ones.. but the fabric seems different and they are really skin tight! If I had the body to do the new ones, I would so do it XD *just talking about Linari*

But other than that... I like the old coats and all better^-^

yamibakura03
03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Well... I do like the new ones.. but the fabric seems different and they are really skin tight! If I had the body to do the new ones, I would so do it XD *just talking about Linari*

But other than that... I like the old coats and all better^-^

i like the coats too, tho the skin tight clothing looks great. but ill stick to the old ones.

Tifa Lin
03-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Great news guys!!! I finally got Vol. 1...in Japanese of course! I think I'mma start gettin my mange in Japanese....since it wayyy cheaper...like by half! So yeah, the first book didn't show many pics of Rinari or Yu but I did realize something....the Shonen Jump preview was the middle of Vol. 1...
I think I'm gonna try and get Vol. 2 either tomarrow or next week since Kinokuniya is pretty far from my house and the only reason I got Vol. 1 was becuase my mom works near Kinokuniya and asked me if I wanted it...and this is a great wayy to help me in my Japanese skills...^^

Jekka
03-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Old, for a couple reasons, though I'll hand it to her - she changes the look of things a LOT. With Allen, for instance.. I mean, shit! At some point he gets boots! And then.. well... things CHANGE. And then something ELSE changes. And this is me not spoiling...

So I'm going to go for a halfway point, I think... after the point he's gotten his coat and his boots, but before.. shall we say... volume 4.

... muttermutter still waiting for v8...

Linali changes, as well, but I think it would be better go with her early version. It's mad cute.

Tifa Lin
03-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Um...I just realized something....I'm kinda stuck now...>.>
On her shoes....do I need to buy two of the same pairs? Because I was just gonna use the same shoes and just attach the different forms but then I notised this:

Rinari: 18405

Shoes: 18406

...One of her forms has a V-cut in the back, so my question is, should I buy 2 and cut one...or...should I just look for another pair and just buy both of them...?

Would these boots work well for her normal ones? I could just wear these and cut the eletric boutique ones....thought on this would be great!
Boots: http://cgi.ebay.com/2088-Black-sexy-3-heel-thigh-high-boots-size-EU-42_W0QQitemZ7755490054QQcategoryZ53557QQtcZphotoQQ cmdZViewItem

Hanyaan
04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm going to start work on a Lavi costume soon, and I'm a bit stuck with the Kingdom Hearts reject zippers. (see what I mean? (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=majorcloseup6wm.jpg)) Where on earth do I get zippers like that?! Also his boots. The straps go all the way around. Is it better to get pre-buckled boots that are less accurate, or somehow make foam and pleather straps that velcro on or something? Also, the armor stuff. Is it really armor? Gah, this is gonna be a pain, I can already tell...

Tifa Lin
04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
ahahhah....and I though I had a tough time...teheheh
*cough cough*

Anyway, the zippers....can be found at any fabric store or if your looking for big one, internet or a fashion district.

Boots, I have seen some...but tooo few that are like Ravi's but are too short. My suggestion, buy normal knee-high boots, and attach the straps manually....you're soo lucky to have a character with easy shoes!!

Hanyaan
04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
It's not finding zippers at all that's the problem...it's that all the zippers I've found in that size and style are black and gold, not anything white or silver like what I'd need. XD

You're right about the boots. I looked and found a few that were the right style but ankle length, so I probably will go with buying gigantic boots and strapping them up. I think with that style I can get away with platforms without it looking odd (especially since the toe compartment of those boots in the artwork is so tall that they look like platforms without being them), and it might help disguise that I'm very short, and everybody in D.Gray is really really tall. XDD

Tifa Lin
04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
hahhaa...yeah....and wat did you mean by armor? Do you mean the coat?

Btw...I LOVVVE your Howl cosplay....it's sooooo cool...^^

_Mandy_
04-05-2006, 06:32 PM
It's not finding zippers at all that's the problem...it's that all the zippers I've found in that size and style are black and gold, not anything white or silver like what I'd need. XD

Hm, I don't know what it would do to the zippers really, but if you can find similar ones you could probably just spray paint them the color you need. Just make sure they're open when you do it so they don't stick together when they dry.

Tifa Lin
04-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Hm, I don't know what it would do to the zippers really, but if you can find similar ones you could probably just spray paint them the color you need. Just make sure they're open when you do it so they don't stick together when they dry.

But...after it dries, wouldn't it be hard to pull up and use?

SpookyElectric
04-06-2006, 12:01 AM
They sell giant zippers w/ like 1cm wide teeth? (If not, I wonder if it would be worth making such a thing to market to cosplayers...)

Also, the armor stuff. Is it really armor?

You mean like on their shoulders? Like the cross, it looks flexible. And it seems a number of people have interpreted it as being leather. That would make some sense if the purpose is to provide some protection. Then the rest of the coat would be a relatively lighter, but still tough material. (i.e. apparently HanyaanFaery's favorite: twill)

yamibakura03
04-06-2006, 01:41 PM
heheh its not armour. it looks like it but no.
for the cross i used plastic so it can bend and all. right now i leaving my d-grayman costumes till june or august. but the coat is almost done.
looks like leather yet could be vinyl maybe another fabric that looks shiny and durable. im sticking with the material used for coats and uniforms.

Genesis_13
04-06-2006, 03:01 PM
The armor bends a little bit. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/typo27/rinali15.gif)

It seems like very weak plastic, or very hard leather like you said. Unfortunately, it's "shaped" a lot, but that's hard to accomplish with leather, and most of us can't really afford plastic, or maybe it's just me. I'm going to try the ever-popular craft foam, since you're supposed to be able to heat-shape it. It'll at least be better than flat fabric.

A note on craft foam: You can sew it! I didn't know that. I tried it the other day, and sewing accomplishes that indent around the edge of the armor perfectly (not the intermittent indentations, but the constant one that runs all the way around the edge). But be careful because if the stitches are too close together, the foam rips between the stitches and that's bad >.<

One more thing, I would attach the bottoms of the armor to the sleeves. Almost all of the other D-Grayman cosplay I have seen does not attach the bottom seam of the shoulder armor to the sleeves, and it looks quite bizarre in my opinion. It definitely looks attached in the manga to me o_O

yamibakura03
04-06-2006, 04:08 PM
The armor bends a little bit. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/typo27/rinali15.gif)

It seems like very weak plastic, or very hard leather like you said. Unfortunately, it's "shaped" a lot, but that's hard to accomplish with leather, and most of us can't really afford plastic, or maybe it's just me. I'm going to try the ever-popular craft foam, since you're supposed to be able to heat-shape it. It'll at least be better than flat fabric.

A note on craft foam: You can sew it! I didn't know that. I tried it the other day, and sewing accomplishes that indent around the edge of the armor perfectly (not the intermittent indentations, but the constant one that runs all the way around the edge). But be careful because if the stitches are too close together, the foam rips between the stitches and that's bad >.<

One more thing, I would attach the bottoms of the armor to the sleeves. Almost all of the other D-Grayman cosplay I have seen does not attach the bottom seam of the shoulder armor to the sleeves, and it looks quite bizarre in my opinion. It definitely looks attached in the manga to me o_O

its styrene sheet i use but its smooth like plastic.
yes craft foam works wonders and you can sew it. i used it alot and a good way to make armour in case you can't get other material. wonderflex is good to but some people say they having difficulty to use it.

yes one bad thing about craft it can rip if you try to pull it or the stitches.

Tifa Lin
04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Nice...that's such a great tip....

Can anyone still help me with the shoes?....

It's explained on the 3rd page at the very bottom...

Sylnte
05-03-2006, 06:48 PM
You could always try using opaque thigh highs and wearing comfortable black shoes. It seems that the boots you were looking at may be painful after a little while. If you have worn in boot-like black shoes, your feet might thank you.

Tifa Lin
05-10-2006, 08:37 PM
True...hmm

If I could make boot covers...tat'd be great...but I dunno how...and do boot covers really work? I mean...would it look like they're actually part of the shoes?

Gatack
05-10-2006, 09:00 PM
I made a Rinali costume last year, I went with some thigh high stockings and some gnarley shoes, wasn't sure about those still.

As for the cross I made that myself from white craft foam and then I also made the buttom from clay, I think they came out really good.

Tifa Lin
05-10-2006, 09:08 PM
OH!!! I love your buttons...got any tips on making them? I was thinking of buying buttons in the same size tat are smooth and using something to mold the design on...but tips are greatly appreciated....^^

On the shoes...um...I'm trying to get as exact as I can....but I dunno if boot covers will work....

Clueless Case
07-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Does anyone have pics of Anita?

Tifa Lin
09-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have pics of Anita?

I think I have few...wat volume did she appear in...?

Runi-Chan
10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
*comes here in a search for....*

Does anyone have any fully body reference pictures for Komui? I really would like to cosplay him soon, but Google's output on that end is, "Haha, no full pictures for you. Just the same icon. Three times, mwahaha"

I really just need help with the hat and that jacket. That evil jacket..hehe.

I've got a good idea what length wig I need for him already, too.

Tifa Lin
10-05-2006, 06:15 PM
*comes here in a search for....*

Does anyone have any fully body reference pictures for Komui? I really would like to cosplay him soon, but Google's output on that end is, "Haha, no full pictures for you. Just the same icon. Three times, mwahaha"

I really just need help with the hat and that jacket. That evil jacket..hehe.

I've got a good idea what length wig I need for him already, too.

Hmm...Lemme check...I think the latest volumes has some good cuts. I'll scan you some soon!

bubydub
11-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Would sculpey work for making the cross on the shoulder? I've never used sculpey before, but I'm afraid that it might easily snap in half... Does anyone know? Also, I'm coslaying as Rabi, and what material is his scarf made out of and what color is it? Thanks!

yamibakura03
11-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Would sculpey work for making the cross on the shoulder? I've never used sculpey before, but I'm afraid that it might easily snap in half... Does anyone know? Also, I'm coslaying as Rabi, and what material is his scarf made out of and what color is it? Thanks!

Its white and you can use the kind that is made for a scarf. fleece, but get the sturdy kind.. think their different types of fleece. ^^ good luck!

bubydub
11-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Its white and you can use the kind that is made for a scarf. fleece, but get the sturdy kind.. think their different types of fleece. ^^ good luck!

Thank you!

Okami Yokai
11-24-2006, 09:12 PM
hopefully i can pull off kanda in the near future
http://myspace-142.vo.llnwd.net/01458/24/17/1458367142_l.jpg
unless you have any other suggestions seeing as in the future d-grayman group we have a
allen
rabi
and komui
plus i love katanas

Kimmy
11-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Hmm...I didn't think of using sculpey for the cross. I've never used it either, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how sturdy it is. Anyway, for Rabi's scarf, it depends if you're cosplaying the manga or anime version. The manga version is white while the anime version is orange.

yamibakura03
11-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Hmm...I didn't think of using sculpey for the cross. I've never used it either, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how sturdy it is. Anyway, for Rabi's scarf, it depends if you're cosplaying the manga or anime version. The manga version is white while the anime version is orange.

if you check the first pages someone said foam for the cross. I used plastic and placed it on my coat. turn out great.

sculpy is good for small probs and i dont think it be good fro the cross expecailly if placed under pressure.

I think the manga scarf is much better and i seen many cosplayers used white instead of the anime one.

Tifa Lin
11-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Orange, black, and white with red hair...hahah...never did like that part in the anime...lol...my suggestion....WHITE...it looks WAY better then orange...=3

Kimmy
11-24-2006, 11:43 PM
I personally prefer the manga scarf as well, but I know that my friend likes the anime one better. It gives people more options to choose from. ^^ I think that the reason why most cosplayers use the white scarf version over the orange one is because the anime just recently came out, so people haven't had anime references to look at.

On the topic of the crosses, I made the cross for my Allen cosplay out of thin plywood that I bought at a hobby and craft store. I thought it turned out really well and it's sturdy enough. I'm not sure if that's the cross you were talking about though bubydub. >.<

Tifa Lin
11-24-2006, 11:57 PM
On the topic of the crosses, I made the cross for my Allen cosplay out of thin plywood that I bought at a hobby and craft store. I thought it turned out really well and it's sturdy enough. I'm not sure if that's the cross you were talking about though bubydub. >.<

Kimmy, is the plywood cross the Dark Religious Order one...cause I like yours...it's looks good! =D

Kimmy
11-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Yup! It is. ^^ Thanks!

bubydub
11-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all your help guys! I made my cross out of foam and spray paint. Look! XD -- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43636895/ And does anyone know where to find a wig tutorial for Rabi? Or for someone who has similar hair to him? Because I can only find wig tutorials for Sora or Cloud.. D:

Tifa Lin
11-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I made my cross out of foam and spray paint. Look! XD -- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43636895/ And does anyone know where to find a wig tutorial for Rabi? Or for someone who has similar hair to him? Because I can only find wig tutorials for Sora or Cloud.. D:

Gotcha covered! XD Okies...like...the tutorial is in Japanese...but it show REALLY REALLY good pics!

On the Wig:

Good: Fenghui (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=920551): Fenghui's Rabi wig has a very natural look to it and the styling is also normal looking and a bit sloppy which is good cause if it were perfectly done...it's wouldn't suite Rabi's character...XD

HayaanFaery (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=877366): Hayaan's Rabi is also well done! She even has the little curl that most skip. You could choose this color..it works well too!

Cure Cos1 (http://sgcafe.com/showpost.php?p=736837&postcount=2124): Again, you can use a wig like this too...This cosplayer did a good job, but the wig is a bit long in so areas so it kinda need to be cut in some places.

CosCure 1 (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/D-Gray%20Man/Rabi002.jpg): Well, this is a just a contact card, but the styling on the wig is well and I think the color of the wig is the same as Fenghui's if not close to.

gottabegenki (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=846955): She made and excellent wig.

Okay: Comic QQ Cosplayer (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/D-Gray%20Man/RabiCos.jpg), Yue (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/D-Gray%20Man/DG4-41.jpg), Yabe (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/D-Gray%20Man/Yabe-Rabi.jpg), and Souma (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/D-Gray%20Man/lavi_souma03.jpg). Mostly theey just had the wig too thin or too long, etc...good cosplayers though...

Okies! Here's the tutorial I found in CosCure Vol. 2:

Cure No. 22127 (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/D-Gray%20Man/Rabi.jpg)

Rabi Tutorial Tips (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/D-Gray%20Man/Rabi001.jpg)

Wig Preparation Tutorial By ROVIN (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/TifaLin/Cosplay/WigTutorial.jpg)

Hope this helps you out...sorry I couldn't find an english one...but it does show pictures on how she did it...=D

yamibakura03
11-25-2006, 02:36 PM
long time ago I used a medium wig and with lots of hairspray and blowed drying i made it stand up like his.

tho i used my hair this time for rabi so its different then using a wig.

bubydub
11-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Tifa Lin: YOU ARE MY SAVIOR!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 Thank you SO much!!!! : D!!! Do you have the wig tutorial in a bigger file? : D??
Yami Bakura: Thank you!!

By the way, is it better to style first and then cut the wig or cut first and then style?

Tifa Lin
11-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Tifa Lin: YOU ARE MY SAVIOR!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 Thank you SO much!!!! : D!!! Do you have the wig tutorial in a bigger file? : D??
Yami Bakura: Thank you!!

By the way, is it better to style first and then cut the wig or cut first and then style?

By bigger file...do you mean...like the largest pic I can get of it? Cause I scanned it outta my cosplay magazines ^^;

bubydub
11-25-2006, 03:59 PM
By bigger file...do you mean...like the largest pic I can get of it? Cause I scanned it outta my cosplay magazines ^^;

Ohhh you SCANNED it.... Nevermind then! ^^

Tifa Lin
11-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Ohhh you SCANNED it.... Nevermind then! ^^

Sorry...but that was probably the best tutorial I could think of off the top of my head...

bubydub
11-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Sorry...but that was probably the best tutorial I could think of off the top of my head...

Nooooooooo! Its a WONDERFUL tutorial!! ^^ I just thought that maybe it had a bigger size, but I resized it and now its all good!!! Thanks!!! XD

Tifa Lin
11-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Nooooooooo! Its a WONDERFUL tutorial!! ^^ I just thought that maybe it had a bigger size, but I resized it and now its all good!!! Thanks!!! XD

Okies! Oh...I think it's best to kinda cut and style a bit first...like rotate it around a bit. Just look at it closely before you cut...kinda imagine and estimate the length around. The Cure cosplayer that made hers I think either ordered it to that length already or cut it herself before styling. Either way...just go slow and be careful...=D

yamibakura03
11-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Be best if you cut the wig in layers. then styled it. if you think you need more cutting once its styled just trim it slowly.
but yes, cut and style. If your afraid the wig aint long just pull the wig up and see how much hair and how much you need to trim it.

Good luck on the wig ^^

Chibi-kun
01-08-2007, 02:08 PM
it was only a matter of time before my group has coaxed me into joining the D.gray-man bandwagon XD;; and since I'm the only bum who isnt going to school yet (yesh for colleges who doesnt start till febuary) I was placed in charged of digging through some useful information we could use in creating the D.gray-man uniforms.

one of my first questions is, (1) what do people normally use/do with the 'giant button' thingies on their coats? It's hard to explain but I've attached a picture circuling as to what part I'm talking about.

and my other question falls in number 2 (i've numbered the picture as to pinpoint which ones I'm talking about) the shoulder part is obviously a seperate piece from the actual sleeve (or atleast I hope that holds true for Allan's coat) and I was wondering, should I put interfacing in it so it doesnt completely flop down?

and last but not least (I got more questions later XD) what did most of you guys use for the buttons? I plan on making the buttons actually functionable like real buttons, like, they will hold the coats closed. And obviously I've tried searching ebay for them. The last resort would be my contact from Japan but god knows how long hes going to be there so I rather not rest on that and have a safety net of other things to use for the buttons.
Or is my best bet just cheating on the coats and velcoring them closed and cheating the buttons?

thanks.

SpazzShadow
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Wow thats really cool that you're going to do Rinari. I am a huge D.Grey-Man fan myself and I'm actually planning on doing an Akuma cosplay for either Metro 07 or Mega 08.
For the boots. Well if you can find knee high hourse back boots then I think those would be best. They have a short heel and are very comfortable to walk around in. I've talked with some people who cosplayed her and they say the worst part is having to walk around in uncomfortable shoes all day. So riding boots would be best.
Anyway good luck with your cosplay.

SpazzShadow
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
it was only a matter of time before my group has coaxed me into joining the D.gray-man bandwagon XD;; and since I'm the only bum who isnt going to school yet (yesh for colleges who doesnt start till febuary) I was placed in charged of digging through some useful information we could use in creating the D.gray-man uniforms.

thanks.

1. For question number one the best and easies thing to do is just get some metalic looking fabric and make it look like the top of a screw. If you're really nit picky though you can try making it out of metal and attaching it like a button to the shoulder armor/pad/thing (not too sure of what it is yet).
2. For number two you just need to get pleather or some other shiny fabric and make the thing. I don't believe it's acctually atached to the shoulder at the sleeve but I've seen cosplays where it's been sewn in with the sleeve. I suggest just making it seperate and attaching it later for a better affect. Paper mache would also work but you'd have to be sure it comes out uber smooth in the end or else it just looks like crap. XP
3. Buttons suck to find but if worst comes to worst you can get silver sculpy clay and make them by hand. Its definately alot cheaper than buying them all the way from Japan but it takes time and patience.

ycysusan2001
01-08-2007, 04:24 PM
and last but not least (I got more questions later XD) what did most of you guys use for the buttons? I plan on making the buttons actually functionable like real buttons, like, they will hold the coats closed. And obviously I've tried searching ebay for them. The last resort would be my contact from Japan but god knows how long hes going to be there so I rather not rest on that and have a safety net of other things to use for the buttons.

I am not really a craft person… so my way it’s a bit…
I bought silver smooth surface buttons and use those stick out fabric paint, sorry I don’t know what it calls, to draw out the design and spread paint it after it dry.

SpazzShadow
01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I am not really a craft person… so my way it’s a bit…
I bought silver smooth surface buttons and use those stick out fabric paint, sorry I don’t know what it calls, to draw out the design and spread paint it after it dry.

PUFFY PAINT !!!!!! =D I love that stuff!

bubydub
01-08-2007, 09:35 PM
to SpazzShadow: You can use the edit button, because you double posted, to make it into one post so it dosen't crowd up the forum. ^^

Anyway, for the patches on the shoulder, my D.gray-man cosplay group just put two layers of heavy white twill, sewed it in the shape of the shoulder pad thing and turned it inside out (does that make sense?) to make it thicker than just to sew on one layer. I don't think it'll look very good if its shiny and the rest of the fabric isn't, but that's just my opinion. For the shoulder button things, we're buying regular shiny flat silver buttons, and drawing a line across it with sharpie. For the fancy big fat buttons, we're going to sculpt one out of sculpey, bake it, then make molds out of them, and cast them. We're doing this so we don't have to sculpt ALL the buttons for Allen, Kanda, Linalee, and Lavi COMBINED... -_-; Quite a large number a buttons for all of us.. Anyway, if you didn't have this link already, this website has many helpful tips about sculpting and casting, as well as armour construnction. http://amethyst-angel.com/castingguide.html Hope that helps! : D Oh AND for the closing of the coats..(That's so engrish..9_9) We're attaching invisiable zippers on the inside because the buttons seem too spaced out to actually hold your coat together. We're making the buttons function as real buttons though, even though its more for the show of having them function.. Does that make sense? D: I think velcro would work too! : D

Byakushi
01-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Bubydub, could you please send me or direct me to where you got that print-out reference picture of the cross (as shown in the picture of your craft foam cross)? I've been looking for a clear picture of it for a while now. :)

Good to see that D.Gray-man is getting the love and cosplay it deserves. I'm working on a Rabi/Lavi costume right now, and it certainly has been a fun time researching the costume. XD;

[A-D-O-R-E]
01-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I actually took a screenshot of the stuff, from episode 16
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8821/vlcsnap10133336yh9.png

This isn't Ravi's but its Allen's. There shouldn't be much of a difference. Well obviously the shape. >__<;

Byakushi
01-26-2007, 02:51 PM
;1703477']I actually took a screenshot of the stuff, from episode 16
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8821/vlcsnap10133336yh9.png

This isn't Ravi's but its Allen's. There shouldn't be much of a difference. Well obviously the shape. >__<;

Well, besides the shape, the arrangement of the symbols is different, too, and I'm partial more to the manga version of the cross. (That's just me being nitpicky, though, so don't mind me. I'm a bit of a finicky perfectionist.) Thanks anyway!

bubydub
01-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, besides the shape, the arrangement of the symbols is different, too, and I'm partial more to the manga version of the cross. (That's just me being nitpicky, though, so don't mind me. I'm a bit of a finicky perfectionist.) Thanks anyway!

Taaaa daaaaaaaaaa~~~ Picture is attached. : D I printed it out from there, and traced it, cuz its kinda faint... Hope that helps! The anime crosses look weird... DX and Lavi has an NEON orange scarf...WTF is up with that?

Oh yeah, and on tips for making the cross. Make a base layer, and add the side spickey things later.. euhhhhh and add the round things on top.. so the layers of the cross should go like this: spickey things on bottom, base on top, and then the round layers. THere should be 3 round layer, and 4 pieces of the spickey things, and a base in total for one cross. Hope that helps! If you need me to clear it up abit, just tell me! : D

Byakushi
01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Taaaa daaaaaaaaaa~~~ Picture is attached. : D I printed it out from there, and traced it, cuz its kinda faint... Hope that helps! The anime crosses look weird... DX and Lavi has an NEON orange scarf...WTF is up with that?

Oh yeah, and on tips for making the cross. Make a base layer, and add the side spickey things later.. euhhhhh and add the round things on top.. so the layers of the cross should go like this: spickey things on bottom, base on top, and then the round layers. THere should be 3 round layer, and 4 pieces of the spickey things, and a base in total for one cross. Hope that helps! If you need me to clear it up abit, just tell me! : D

Thank you so much! ♥ You're a lifesaver~

Yeah, I have this general feeling of 'WTF?' when it comes to the DGM anime, especially with their choices in colors. (Neon orange scarf = EW. D: It just doesn't work with Lavi's hair color.) No offense to anyone who enjoys the anime series or likes their colors, of course; I'm just a lover of the manga.

So, I'm just going to stick with my white scarf and manga cross. :D

Can't wait to see everyone's finished cosplays!

Pollux
01-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Check it ouuuuuuuttttt. <3

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/_pollux_/blackordercross.png

To go along with Buby's kickass cross, of course. :3

Looks like everyone's starting to gravitate back toward this thread, it seems. X3 But man... they can't draw ANYTHING right on the anime! The Black Order crosses are wrong... the cross on top of Rabi's hammer is all wrong (it got lazy-fied into a spear). Meh. I've been spending the last two weeks trying to convince my group to just "go the manga route with meee!"

[A-D-O-R-E]
01-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah I'm going to do the manga version.
Cream scarf, cross on the top of the hammer.
I like the manga Black Order Crosses too.

But now I'm faced with one more delimma. Which style should I do his pants?
I'm just doing plain white pants with the little holster like I've seen done before.

But I've also have seen Rabi in chaps. >__< I can only guess this is in the manga.

Which way is everyone else doing their pants?

Pollux
01-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I think the chaps are from his second uniform. He also has a three-quarter sleeve jacket and... well, different things. I definitely like the first uniform better.

Chibi-kun
01-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I went to ALA yesterday and looked around the dealers hall and I found a booth there carrying the D.gray-man crosses as well as the buttons. >:D

[A-D-O-R-E]
01-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah I like his first uniform also!

Oh yeah those buttons.. I was going to make mine outta sculpy and paint um..

How much did you pay for um, just wondering?

Chibi-kun
01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I havent bought them yet but they gave me their contact information so I can order a bigger batch. They sell them by pairs (2 in a pack) for $8. I'm pretty sure you can bargain for them if you order alot. And I told them I'm making atleast 3-5 of the jackets for my group and would obviously be needing afew of the buttons and they said they would give me a discount.

If anyone is wondering how to get ahold of them, heres their website:
http://www.xanga.com/starrypetals

hula1985
01-28-2007, 03:03 AM
to cposey: I have arrived. finally!! and yes, I think we are going manga.:rockon:

to everyone: I am doing Rinali, and for the Innocence form, I have boots that will be just perfect. http://cgi.ebay.com/Pointy-toe-Soft-Boots-Knee-High-Flats-stretch-BLACK-8-5_W0QQitemZ160076875956QQihZ006QQcategoryZ63889QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem I will be tailoring them to be over the knee in the front, but lower on the back. But the low heel makes me so happy, no march of death for 3 days for me.
I was thinking to paint the Hatsudo stripage with acrylic paint. Would that work? BUT, should I wish to wear these in normal life, I may want a more temporary fix. Any ideas??

Also, I want to do her leg "tats". :toothy: I guess I could paint or sharpie my legs, but I would rather not have to keep doing touch-ups every 5 minutes. So, I thought maybe doing pantyhose, and coloring them instead, with paint or sharpie. Would that work?

Any help appreciated.

ChicoChan
01-28-2007, 10:59 AM
does anyone have scans of Miranda in her excrosist uniform? I'm having one hell of a time trying to find them ;_;!!

Byakushi
01-28-2007, 02:03 PM
does anyone have scans of Miranda in her excrosist uniform? I'm having one hell of a time trying to find them ;_;!!

Here are a few that I found from my search through the scanlations. Hope they help!

ChicoChan
01-29-2007, 01:10 AM
Here are a few that I found from my search through the scanlations. Hope they help!

ZOMG!!! PERFECT! thank you so much :D!!!!

[A-D-O-R-E]
01-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Can I get a "Woot! Woot!" ? Lol

I just finished my jacket and my exorcist badge tonight for Rabi! >___> Now to work on the buttons and shoulder armor either tomorrow or Wed.

Hehe and the last thing on the list is boots and hammer.

Pollux
01-29-2007, 11:27 PM
to cposey: I have arrived. finally!! and yes, I think we are going manga.:rockon:

to everyone: I am doing Rinali, and for the Innocence form, I have boots that will be just perfect. LINKSIES (http://cgi.ebay.com/Pointy-toe-Soft-Boots-Knee-High-Flats-stretch-BLACK-8-5_W0QQitemZ160076875956QQihZ006QQcategoryZ63889QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem) I will be tailoring them to be over the knee in the front, but lower on the back. But the low heel makes me so happy, no march of death for 3 days for me.
I was thinking to paint the Hatsudo stripage with acrylic paint. Would that work? BUT, should I wish to wear these in normal life, I may want a more temporary fix. Any ideas??

Also, I want to do her leg "tats". :toothy: I guess I could paint or sharpie my legs, but I would rather not have to keep doing touch-ups every 5 minutes. So, I thought maybe doing pantyhose, and coloring them instead, with paint or sharpie. Would that work?

Any help appreciated.

Lookit that Nat-chan! :cheers:
I'm going to shamelessly promote her question, because it was held back for a few days and I'm afraid not everyone will see it. Her leg tats have us both in a quandary. Bubby, is your Lenalee doing anything similar?

tsuoi_kaze
02-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm planning on a DGM costume, but I'm so confused! I decided to cosplay Allen (it was a toss up between him and Lavi) .

For the cross. If I don't buy it, I'll make it out of foam but I kind of want to get it embrorded on. I don't know much *coughanythingcough* about embrordery, so I don't know how much a custom place usually would charge, or if I would be able to just give the finished coat to them or if that section would need to be seperate.

Would it be a good idea to make the shoulder....things/armor out of white leatherlike material (pleather if I can afford it) and sew it onto the sleeves? The rest of the uniform would be made out of a different fabric (maybe twill?).

Also, The white stripes. Any tips on attaching those? Because I really don't have a clue (I know it's something that's supposed to be "simple", but I have next to no skills.) I don't want to paint them on because I've had bad experiences with paint *shifty glance at yuna skirt*.

Any help is very much appreciated!

~tsuoi

[A-D-O-R-E]
02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
For the stripes I used seam binding and sewed it on.

And with my armor, I'm making it seperate.. and putting a 1/2" sheet of foam in between. That way it sticks out a little.

I made my cross out of foam. I put too much paint on it and it curled though. But after leaving it under pressure over night it straightened its self out.

Scortia
02-08-2007, 02:06 PM
I have my Rabi costume in my gallery now... as well as photoshoots with the D. Gray-man crew. Unfortunately I had forgotten my wig at home for the con. ;_;

Pencil
02-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Would it be a good idea to make the shoulder....things/armor out of white leatherlike material (pleather if I can afford it) and sew it onto the sleeves? The rest of the uniform would be made out of a different fabric (maybe twill?).
Also, The white stripes. Any tips on attaching those? Because I really don't have a clue (I know it's something that's supposed to be "simple", but I have next to no skills.) I don't want to paint them on because I've had bad experiences with paint *shifty glance at yuna skirt*.

~tsuoi

For my Allen coat I'm making it out of black twill and white vynal. Its working good for me thus far (although Im really anal about the shoulder gaurds so they might just be temp until I can find a better way to do them.) I should have the sleves done tomorrow, I can post a picture of it if you want to see how it looks.
As for the white lines, I am just cutting straight lines from the vynal and sewing them on (since it needs no hemming). Bias tape probablly would have looked better, but I wanted the fabrics to match. Once again, I'll take pictures of those tomorrow if you want :)

tsuoi_kaze
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
For my Allen coat I'm making it out of black twill and white vynal. Its working good for me thus far (although Im really anal about the shoulder gaurds so they might just be temp until I can find a better way to do them.) I should have the sleves done tomorrow, I can post a picture of it if you want to see how it looks.
As for the white lines, I am just cutting straight lines from the vynal and sewing them on (since it needs no hemming). Bias tape probablly would have looked better, but I wanted the fabrics to match. Once again, I'll take pictures of those tomorrow if you want :)

^^ pictures would be great! I like the bias tape suggestion, The square around the cross is probably supposed to be some sort of flap, but for some reason I thought it'd look better if I just put the strips directly onto the coat. Twill sounds like the best material to use right now, so I'm going to stick with that idea. I'm only in the process of finding refrence pictures right now (I can't believe the best pic I found was a photograph of an action figure XD) my friend is borrowing my manga right now too! I really want to start on it now...but I'm right in the middle of two costumes, one of which I have to get done before megacon next friday *sweatdrop*.

I have an insane idea that might be crazy enough to work! I love Allen's boots, so I was originally thinking that I would just make covers to put over the boots I have right now (knee high, lace-up black pleather). But I thought:
"What if I used some of the pleather/vinyl that I'll have and make the strips with the zippers, put them on to my boots so that the zipper is in front of the tongue but also so that I can still put laces in the boots if I want too. That way I could have Allen's boots and when I didn't want them I could unzip them, pull the tongue back in front of them, and relace them...boom! Normal black boots in disguise!"

I just have no clue how to do this, but I thought it was a neat idea.

Pencil
02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I thought that the square might be a flap too, but after much looking at pictures I decided it wasn't. I can upload some ref.pics for you too when I get the pics of my coat up.

Allens boots are such a pain! I keep on finding the perfect shoes but they have a heel, and I can't have ANY heel because Im already waaaayyy too tall (5'8-9) So I found some that are pretty much perfect, but they are slouch boots, so I hope it still looks okay.

And I know the pain of juggling so many costumes at once D: Allen is taking me way longer than it should, because I have so many other things to do (and a small budget)

tsuoi_kaze
02-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I thought that the square might be a flap too, but after much looking at pictures I decided it wasn't. I can upload some ref.pics for you too when I get the pics of my coat up.

Allens boots are such a pain! I keep on finding the perfect shoes but they have a heel, and I can't have ANY heel because Im already waaaayyy too tall (5'8-9) So I found some that are pretty much perfect, but they are slouch boots, so I hope it still looks okay.

And I know the pain of juggling so many costumes at once D: Allen is taking me way longer than it should, because I have so many other things to do (and a small budget)

The perfect boots are hard to find. I found my boots on alloy.com and they're flat and have a round toe, they even have a black version of the white buckle-strap Allen has at the top of his boots! And to think that when I first got them I wanted to take off that strap XD I have to be thrifty, so that's why I decided to attempt to alter my boots (which will be about 50x more difficult than I can imagine) rather than spend more money on black pleather/vinyl to make boot covers.

Jekka
02-09-2007, 06:12 PM
The perfect boots are hard to find. I found my boots on alloy.com and they're flat and have a round toe....

THANK YOU. I've been going all willynilly trying to find a boot I could even work off of. I just stopped by Alloy and found something (On SALE!) that I could easily modify.

Phew! There's that done. On to the next horror!

tsuoi_kaze
02-09-2007, 06:20 PM
THANK YOU. I've been going all willynilly trying to find a boot I could even work off of. I just stopped by Alloy and found something (On SALE!) that I could easily modify.

Phew! There's that done. On to the next horror!

which ones did you get? I got the Underground (http://store.alloy.com/item.do?categoryID=243&itemID=46185&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=)for Yuna a few months ago. And now I'm going to try and put the zipper on top of (but not attached to)the tongue for Allen. (see posts above)

[A-D-O-R-E]
02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
which ones did you get? I got the Underground (http://store.alloy.com/item.do?categoryID=243&itemID=46185&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=)for Yuna a few months ago. And now I'm going to try and put the zipper on top of (but not attached to)the tongue for Allen. (see posts above)

OMG!!! I wish I saw those boots earlier!! But with their 7-10 day shipping I wont get them till after the con.

I ended up buying some snowboots from Kmart for like $20. But they look awesome! (and they fit my calfs)

Jekka
02-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Yup, I got the underground ones. They're the closest I've seen yet that are under like 50 bucks, and I don't need to be done until Animeboston so it's all good.

tsuoi_kaze
02-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Yup, I got the underground ones. They're the closest I've seen yet that are under like 50 bucks, and I don't need to be done until Animeboston so it's all good.

I know! The underground are so perfect!
I don't think I'll be able to put the zippers in myself O.o....not on my machine. Which means I'll probably have to pay a cobbler to do it for me T.T
crap.

I don't need to finish the costume untill july at the earliest for metrocon. If I get it done, I'll wear it at least one day, but I'm seeing this costume seeing more action than the others. Metrocon if I have it done by then, then AFO if I can go (there isn't enough time difference between metro and afo to make a new costume), and depending on when spazz finishes her akuma cosplay, I might wear it at megacon 08 for a day(but that's only if she doesn't finish it in time for metro). That's ALOT, So I'm willing to pay the shoe guy if I absolutely have to.

SpazzShadow
02-09-2007, 07:59 PM
and depending on when spazz finishes her akuma cosplay, I might wear it at megacon 08 for a day(but that's only if she doesn't finish it in time for metro).
can't go to metro so you're wearing it for mega ok?

tsuoi_kaze
02-09-2007, 08:31 PM
can't go to metro so you're wearing it for mega ok?

off topic but what the hell? Wy can't you go to metro? T.T
FINE! I'm still going to make it, I'll just wear it again at Mega08!

[A-D-O-R-E]
02-10-2007, 12:06 AM
OMG!!! I JUST NOTICED I STYLED RABI'S WIG BACKWARDS!!!!!!

T_______T

great..

tsuoi_kaze
02-10-2007, 09:28 PM
...I post too much here.

Joannes has an abundance of black twill, but I have no cash or time T.T lol, guess I'll have to keep looking for refrence pics to keep me buisy, because I'll be done with both of the costumes I'm currently working on in a few days.

For anyone that did allen or kanda (since their uniforms are similar)- I'm looking for patterns, what did you use? I saw one that I thought might work and then my laptop battery died...

[A-D-O-R-E]- Oh, that sucks. I hope you can fix it! that sounds like something I would do.

[A-D-O-R-E]
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Even though I made Lavi's coat. I used a Matrix halloween pattern. But with some modifications of course.

I would deff. look at that pattern though. I think it would be perfect!

tsuoi_kaze
02-10-2007, 10:35 PM
;1726681']Even though I made Lavi's coat. I used a Matrix halloween pattern. But with some modifications of course.

I would deff. look at that pattern though. I think it would be perfect!

That's a simplicity pattern right? or was it something else... XD And I was just at joannes today! I could have probably picked one up! (though I did finally get a leather needle and a double needle that I'll more than likely use for the uniform.

[A-D-O-R-E]
02-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm pretty sure its Simplicity. Umm lemme check..

No its McCalls.

(I had to make my post long enough)

Aurxlen
02-10-2007, 11:52 PM
My friends and I are a little slow when it comes to finding really good manga/anime, and well, we just discovered D.Gray-man about two weeks ago.

Anyway, I was wondering roughly how long it took/is taking you all to make these costumes. We're planning on going to Anime Expo this summer for two days and we were thinking it would be cool to do DGM along with our Kingdom Hearts costumes.

Byakushi
02-11-2007, 12:08 AM
My friends and I are a little slow when it comes to finding really good manga/anime, and well, we just discovered D.Gray-man about two weeks ago.

Anyway, I was wondering roughly how long it took/is taking you all to make these costumes. We're planning on going to Anime Expo this summer for two days and we were thinking it would be cool to do DGM along with our Kingdom Hearts costumes.

Well, I'm making my Lavi costume for the end of April, so that's how long I have to work on it. As long as you manage your construction time wisely, you can definitely get them done by AE. They aren't incredibly difficult costumes, after all.

Love for more DGM cosplayers~ ;D

Pollux
02-11-2007, 12:21 AM
;1726897']I'm pretty sure its Simplicity. Umm lemme check..

No its McCalls.

(I had to make my post long enough)
There's also a Simplicity pattern for the Matrix coats. It's #5386.

Thanks for posting that, btw. I had bought a different pattern that I think would be much harder to modify. :3

tsuoi_kaze
02-11-2007, 12:33 AM
XD I just realized that I've never made a costume with sleeves before! Well, attached sleeves anyway. Oh, I can see this becoming the most difficult thing ever.

But the matrix pattern would work so well! I don't know which one to get. Probably whichever one my joannes has. If they don't have either then I'll just pick one.
Now if I could just figure out that hood...lol.

Jekka
02-11-2007, 09:31 AM
XD I just realized that I've never made a costume with sleeves before! Well, attached sleeves anyway. Oh, I can see this becoming the most difficult thing ever.

Sleeves are my enemy. Gather sleeves aren't too bad... but.. ugh. Ugh in general.

I've been working on my Allen v.e.r.y..s..l...o.wl.y.yy.. since I first decided to do so LAST FEBRUARY while I was in Japan ^^;; I'm sort of obsessive on details, so I try to space out costumes over a long time so that it doesn't end up costing me too much all at once. On the downside, usually by the time I'm satisfied and ready to wear, a million other cosplayers of the same character have popped up and everyone's sick of them. A la~ Ed Elric. *sigh*. But I'm feeling good about Allen, I think it's good timing -- enough popularity to be recognized and maybe find a good group, but not enough so that people are sick of him. Wootskies.

I'm so bad at altering patterns but after Chrno AND this one, slowly getting better..

Oh! My wig came in -- it needs some mad styling, and it's got no scalp part so I'm afraid my hair's gonna show like whoa. Even with a white wigcap, the nylon mesh is a nude color, and I'm not sure what that's gonna look like. Push come to shove I'll keep my hood on. :p

Should I make a squishy, fluffy Tincampy, or a more detailed hard one?

bubydub
02-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Buttonz yo. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/48564045/
These were just made to see if my molds would actually work. Casted with plaster, although the final ones will be cast from resin.
Crosses
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47107286/?qo=3&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47107047/?qo=4&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47106956/?qo=5&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime
Just in case anyone wanted to see them to see what the foam crosses would turn out as. I made them from foamies sheets and sealed it with white glue and water, spray painted, and drew on the symbols. : D
Jekka--I think a fluffy timcampi would be really cute! It'll be less likely to break too. The Allen in our group is making timcampi sit on her head...

Jekka
02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Crosses
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47107286/?qo=3&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47107047/?qo=4&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47106956/?qo=5&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime
Just in case anyone wanted to see them to see what the foam crosses would turn out as. I made them from foamies sheets and sealed it with white glue and water, spray painted, and drew on the symbols. : D
Jekka--I think a fluffy timcampi would be really cute! It'll be less likely to break too. The Allen in our group is making timcampi sit on her head...

:O Those came out very nice!! My cross is metal, and as we've seen that's not totally.. manga-correct, but I was out of other ideas. -_- A foamy thing would have some bend, though... What are you sticking them on the coats with?

Rinslet~
02-11-2007, 05:47 PM
ooh what a wonderfull thread! i'm getting lots of tips *-*

I'm doing Miranda's exorcist outfit this year and i'm quite afraid of it! i'm thinking in a leather-like fabric which it's hard to sew ù.u Any other fabric sugestion?

tsuoi_kaze
02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Buttonz yo. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/48564045/
These were just made to see if my molds would actually work. Casted with plaster, although the final ones will be cast from resin.
Crosses

Oh wow! All of those came out very nicely! I'm thinking craft foam might be the way to go. Those look good.
And thumbe up on the buttns, well done!

jekka- A timcampi would be so cute! I'm thinking about making one myself, It's too irresistable ^.^

Pollux
02-11-2007, 07:36 PM
ooh what a wonderfull thread! i'm getting lots of tips *-*

I'm doing Miranda's exorcist outfit this year and i'm quite afraid of it! i'm thinking in a leather-like fabric which it's hard to sew ù.u Any other fabric sugestion?
I'll more than likely be using either twill or gabardine when I get around to my coat (trying to lose as much weight as I can before I make it ^_^).

I think much earlier in this thread someone suggested cotton denim and cotton broadcloth, as well as twill and rayon gabardine. I prefer a matte-type finish instead of the glossy leather look.

bubydub
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE= Jekka;1727744 A foamy thing would have some bend, though... What are you sticking them on the coats with?[/QUOTE]
I'm going to epoxy half a snap to it, and sew the other snap to where it's supposed to go, so it's removable for washing! : D I'm going to do the same for the buttons.

Rinslet~
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
yeah, i was thinking in the glossy look of leather-like fabric, i'll give a look to the fabric you told me, cposey ^_^

[A-D-O-R-E]
02-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Hmmm I hot-glued pinbacking's to both my cross and button. But I think I might do what you did to my button bubydub. It will probably look alot better.

mikcy
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm joining you all because I've decided to make Rabi's second outfit. XD I'm going to be crazy and make it out of pleather and I hope to have the jacket and chaps cut out tomorrow. >=D

Giant hammer here I come~~~

tsuoi_kaze
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
huh, apparently my joannes only carries pleather during Halloween, which makes me think that it's not good quality pleather...not to mention that I need it before then .....-__-

So I am forced to order online! I hope I can get it by the yard online(half a yard would be more than enough, it's only for a few small details on the jacket and boots).

Pollux
02-14-2007, 06:25 PM
huh, apparently my joannes only carries pleather during Halloween, which makes me think that it's not good quality pleather...not to mention that I need it before then .....-__-

So I am forced to order online! I hope I can get it by the yard online(half a yard would be more than enough, it's only for a few small details on the jacket and boots).
I'll be going to JoAnne's (and probably Hancock's) tomorrow, assuming the streets aren't icy. I'd be more than happy to see if I can find some for you. :3

edit: Well, scratch that. I won't be going until next week. D:

tsuoi_kaze
02-19-2007, 03:43 PM
*resurrects thread*

Now that megacon is over I just have to save up some money again and then it's off to work on Allen untill metrocon!

I'd say more, but I'm still half dead from the con XD

Pencil
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Well I said I was going to post progress pics awhile ago, but I just now got around to it... sorry!
So my coat is being made with twill and vinyl and using the Matrix coat pattern (simplicity I think) I had to mod the pattern a lot becuase the proportions are HUGE (I made the smallest size and I still have a lot of tailoring to do =___=)
From before I put the sleeves on:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8528/img6331uy6.jpg
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8518/img6329jc2.jpg
You can see the shape of the coat, which is very nice, but if you use this pattern be prepared to hem it a lot because it drags the ground on me and I'm about 5'9 (wayyyy too tall for Allen I know :sobs: ).
After the sleeves:
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/3386/img7070qd0.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6789/img7103cj7.jpg

It looks absolutely terrible on me when I dont bind, but it looks fine when I do. Im thinking I might redo the sleeves again, but only if I have the time.
Obviously I am no where close to finnishing *dies*
Here are my buttons that I casted using mold making sculpey and regular sculpey:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9583/buttonswn8.jpg
Im rediculously proud of them XD

Also I've been dieting and exercising like crazy because the con is in 40 days, and I have the same appetite as Allen... only it shows on me XD

Good luck on your costumes everyone! I can't wait to see all of your guys' finnished products. Also any critque on mine would be greatly appreciated.

totemo_oishii
02-25-2007, 04:19 PM
pencil - ahh, it looks fantastic!! i'm quite proud of you also. X3 ♥

--

here's my in-progress rhode camelot:
http://members.cosplay.com/costume/79780/
still needs some work! >w<

Pollux
02-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Lookin' gooooood, Pencil! I like how you made the shoulder armor NOT the size of your arm, like so many others. :3

Pencil
02-25-2007, 05:17 PM
pencil - ahh, it looks fantastic!! i'm quite proud of you also. X3 ♥

--

here's my in-progress rhode camelot:
http://members.cosplay.com/costume/79780/
still needs some work! >w<

I love your Rhode!! Its so cute! I think I comment on it before *lol*
Did you go to Kumori-con? I think I stood near you in the REDICULOUS reg line XD You are too cute!

Lookin' gooooood, Pencil! I like how you made the shoulder armor NOT the size of your arm, like so many others. :3

Haha thank you for noticing!! I remade those arms things like 6 times *dies* I was determined to make then look as acurate as possible.

[A-D-O-R-E]
02-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Yay! I finished my Lavi! Um I guess take a look at my costume gallery?

totemo_oishii
02-25-2007, 08:05 PM
pencil - i did go to kumori-con! XD who were you cosplaying? :3

Pencil
02-25-2007, 09:09 PM
[A-D-O-R-E] - Your Rabi is looking great! :D

totemo_oishii - I cosplayed as Mello from Deathnote and Bridget from Guilty Gear.
I have a picture of your tomo: http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1262/tomokatamariuy4.jpg
Will you be attending Sakura-con too? Becasue if you are it would be great to see other D.g-man cosplayers!

tsuoi_kaze
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Pencil, [A-D-O-R-E], and totemo- Wow! You guys are awesome ^_^

DX Relatives being over= no costume progress, relatives being over for a month= T.T The con is in july, so I'll have a month of no school (minus "family vacation time" but that can't possibly last more than a week and a half) to work on Allen but I was really hoping to start sooner.

And I have the strong urge to work on it now.

totemo_oishii
02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
[a-d-o-r-e] - wow, looks wonderful! ♥

pencil - kya! i love that picture. XD mind if i use it in my gallery?
and unfortunately not, though i'm planning to attend next year. :3

Pencil
02-26-2007, 01:46 AM
tsuoi_kaze - I know how you feel, when ever I get the urge to work on my cosplay something comes up and I can't work on it at all :S So frustrating! I hope you are able to work on it some!

totemo_oishii - I'd be honored if you used it! *lol* Too bad you can't go this year! I think it'd be fun to do a Rhode/Allen photoshoot like reinacting the part in the manga where they first really meet, because I think Rhode is so cute when she is wearing Allens coat XD (evil yes... but cute!)

tsuoi_kaze
02-28-2007, 10:17 PM
@Pencil- XD
I hate it when that happens! You want to work so bad!....but you just can't!

The only thing I'm not sure about is the wig, but I'm sure I'll find a good one, Allen's style isn't exactly complicated. YAY! non-gravity defying har!

Pencil
02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I just ordered my wig last friday, I really hope it gets here soon. Last time I ordered a wig it took almost two months D: but thats what I get for being picky and only finding wigs I want on ebay.

I just lost my cords to my good sewing machine (the one that will sew vinyl) and so now I cant really do much with my costume until I find them D: The other sewing machine I have sews beautifuly on thin fabrics, but the only parts I have left are the vinyl bits *cries*

Jekka
03-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Hwahh.. a morning of wig cutting and styling down, and there's another piece of Allen finished. *wades through white bits of hair all over the floor* I'm psyched to work on it some more now that I'm this far, though. Next up -- working on the boots to add the zipper and the white bits, and finding some way to make them look moderately good on my inordinantly wide calves *grarr*.

To the fabric store, Robin! We've only a month left!

Pencil
03-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Ah! I just got my wig the otherday, I just need to do a tiny bit of styling, but besides that its perfect<3 (just long enough for the ponytail XD but not too long)
I'm thinking about remaking most of the white parts on my cosutme *dies* The pleather just doesnt move right and look too stiff. I will keep it for the sholder gaurds, yolk, and cincher (in the back), but everything else I will redo. Uggh, now to find a fabirc that matches the vinyl.

Good luck with your costumes everyone! I can't wait to see them all finished :D

Minakolabelle
03-10-2007, 08:38 AM
*Memisama on Minako's computer*

Even though I uploaded this a few days ago, here is a progress picture (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1009741) of my Rabi. <3 I totally can't wait to cosplay him this Sunday! I just hope I can finish the hammer by then. >_> I need to attach the damn belts to the chaps, so I can take pictures of them too. I still need my white pants. x___x

tsuoi_kaze
03-17-2007, 09:26 PM
I found a website that sells the buttons and crosses. Their crosses are odd looking...sort of round so I don't want to get one from them. But they sell the buttons and I'm tempted to buy. The only problem is that the site is vague. It says $9.99 but it doesn't say how many buttons you get...or if you're paying that much for one button. I hope they email me back soon.

elvia.chan
03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I want to get started on my Rabi(1st uniform) costume soon, since I am planning to wear it to AX. I think I'm going to get the fabric this weekend. By the way, out of what materials do you make the cross and buttons, or where could you buy them?

tsuoi_kaze
03-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Ok, so the website for the buttons is not going to work.
I need seven buttons (or at least that's what I counted) for Allen's coat and yes, the site is charging $10 for one button DX!!!
So I'm back to making the buttons.

I went to joannes on monday and the were out of black twill...wtf? But they said they were getting a new shipment of fabric wednsday. I'll call them today to see if they got any in this shipment.
But of course, I can't really work on the coat without the black twill. It's kind of the fabric that it's almost completely made of. lol.

I did get a pattern (simplicity matrix) and some of the materials for the details. I have bias tape for the stripes (if that's what you want to call them), snaps that I can work with for the, well, snap-like pieces on the shoulders. I also got a few other things but I really need the twill XD

Pollux
03-22-2007, 06:03 PM
I want to get started on my Rabi(1st uniform) costume soon, since I am planning to wear it to AX. I think I'm going to get the fabric this weekend. By the way, out of what materials do you make the cross and buttons, or where could you buy them?
Button-chans get made out of sculpey clay.

Crosses get made a number of ways:
1] Sheets of craft foam, sealed with white elmer's glue, then spray painted silver. The elmer's keeps the foam from absorbing the spray paint so much... resulting in shinies. Details in sharpie.

2] Hand-painted directly on the fabric with those handy paint pens.

3] There exists such a thing as t-shirt transfers for dark fabrics. I have a packet, but I still don't have the fabric I plan on using, so I'm not sure how well it will work.

elvia.chan
03-23-2007, 03:52 PM
cposey - Thank you so much!! :toothy: Sorry to keep asking questions, but out of what materials can we make Rabi's hammer out of?

Pollux
03-23-2007, 06:41 PM
cposey - Thank you so much!! :toothy: Sorry to keep asking questions, but out of what materials can we make Rabi's hammer out of?
Man... you may have to just take some time and read through the last nine pages. Nearly everyone here (about ten of us, maybe?) basically took their own approach. We've got heavy-duty cement molds, pillow forms, empty cookie cutter tubes, paper maché.

NO WAIT. Where's that other thread? -rummages-

THIS is the magical thread:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=98108&highlight=rabi

We started out over there, then this one got resurrected from last year so we all meandered over.

And don't worry about asking questions. That's what this thread is for. :3

elvia.chan
03-23-2007, 07:19 PM
cposey- OMG Thanks so much!! That is a magical thread... ^_^ I now have a pretty good idea on how to make it...sort of.:toothy: Thanks again.:)

bubydub
03-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys wanted me to make a tutorial on how to do the crosses and buttons. : D
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51538717/ -- buttons
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47107286/?qo=13&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime -- crosses

Tsuoi-- I might make some more buttons and sell them. I'll probably be selling them for 2 bucks each. : D

evalatachi
03-23-2007, 09:34 PM
YES PLEASE!!!

We would greatly appreciate it if you posted a tutorial! =]

THANKS!!

ycysusan2001
03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
XD it will helps a lot thank you!

I am remaking mine ^^;;

tsuoi_kaze
03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
bubydub- A tutorial would be awesome! Your crosses and buttons look great!

I might try my hand at making the buttons before trying to buy again XD I have a friend who claims to be really good at making molds and stuff.

*headdesk* I still have to wait a few days before I get my fabric, but at least I know that the amount I need is on hold for me!!! Now I have to go through my list of stuff to buy and get the rest...if I have enough money...
But I was lucky enough to find a good pair of pants in my closet! One less thing to think "huh, I need to do that" about.

colourfulninja
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm cosplaying as Rhode in her black dress,but I can't find a full view of her dress and was wondering if someone could please send me a picture of her in that costume. Thanks^_^

tsuoi_kaze
03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh, forgot! I ordered my vinyl! *dances*

Jekka
03-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Sa~ay... does anyone know what the type of collar on Allen's shirt is called? It isn't quite a popped up tennis collar, but it isn't quite a wing collar either. I'm baffled. Help from anyone who's found it?

tsuoi_kaze
03-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Sa~ay... does anyone know what the type of collar on Allen's shirt is called? It isn't quite a popped up tennis collar, but it isn't quite a wing collar either. I'm baffled. Help from anyone who's found it?

I can't tell either. My original plan was to buy a dress shirt and pop the collar XD But I've decided against it for now for two reasons.

1. Lack of money

2. I'll be wearing this to at least one con this summer. Wearing a long sleeved shirt AND the coat in July/August in FLORIDA. DX no thank you....it's already around 86 degrees here during the day, and it's only March. It gets well into the ninteys on a nice day during the summer, lol. Don't get me started on humidity....

XD I'm such a wimp!

Pollux
03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Bah! I keep forgetting to tell you guys!

For those of you cosplaying Allen/those of you making things for your Allen, Drug Emporium has the PERFECT giant yellow fuzzy pillow ball for Timcanpy. It's basketball-sized... maybe a tad smaller. It'd be easy to attach some wings, a tail, and chompy teeth.

If you live near a Drug Emporium, go check it out and TELL me it's not perfect!

Otherwise, no more progress made on my costume except for many many more things bought and waiting to be made. I'm making TWO hammers now, for whatever reason. One pillow-squishy (very bonk-friendly) and one very shiny and... firm? It's a clear tube, so it's going to get painted from the INSIDE woooo dazzle dazzle.

tsuoi_kaze
03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
My vinyl came today and my twill is now waiting to be picked up at joannes ^_^

Cposey- I'm assuming that's a drug store? Too bad I don't live near one, I'd have gone to look!
There a million other drug stores in town that I can look at though. If I have enough money left over from Allen I'd really like to make timcanpy!

ArchangelMika
03-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Speaking of Allen's collar, how do you guys suggest constructing the collar for the coat? It confuses me because it looks like it's not really attached in the normal way. It's just kindof...there..

mixaka
03-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm cosplaying as Rhode in her black dress,but I can't find a full view of her dress and was wondering if someone could please send me a picture of her in that costume. Thanks^_^

I'd like to second this request!

tsuoi_kaze
03-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Speaking of Allen's collar, how do you guys suggest constructing the collar for the coat? It confuses me because it looks like it's not really attached in the normal way. It's just kindof...there..

Well, the way I saw it, it looks like Allen just has a coat with a hood. I thought this because in side (and even some front) views, his coat has these beltloop-like things that go around the neck and are attached one side to the hood and one to the coat. The actual collar thing, with the button on it, looks to me like a belt thet isn't in any way attached and just slides in exactly a belt for your pants!

Or at least, that's what it looks like to me...I think it might be easier to do it that way too because you don't have to worry about attaching the collar thing, just the hood.

Wolfmasterifrit
03-31-2007, 04:56 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of 2nd costume Rabi since I will be cosplaying at him in the summer

ArchangelMika
04-01-2007, 02:34 PM
tsuoi_kaze, do you happen to have any good reference pictures of the beltloop things?

tsuoi_kaze
04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
XD I'll look! Good pics are hard to find, I usually use the manga for refrence.

Here's what I came up with, sorry they're bad quality...and really small. But I circled the things that look like beltloops in red.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/tsuoi_kaze/D_Gray-Man_v04_ch31_p12.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/tsuoi_kaze/D_Gray-Man_v04_ch27_p15.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/tsuoi_kaze/D_Gray-Man_v03_ch19_p08.jpg

The last one is the best one I found.

Rekka
04-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Will you be attending Sakura-con too? Becasue if you are it would be great to see other D.g-man cosplayers!

:O Pencil! This is Rekka from the SC boards (the one that will be cosplaying Komui on Sunday at SakuraCon).

Your avatar's awesome! Makes me even more excited to go to SakuraCon~ :3

...and I'm wearing my Komui cosplay as I type. x3 It's so cool~ (although I commissioned the coat, because I've had difficulties with making coats in the past...*shiver* )

...I wish I could find my camera chargerrrr...

Pencil
04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
:O Pencil! This is Rekka from the SC boards (the one that will be cosplaying Komui on Sunday at SakuraCon).

Your avatar's awesome! Makes me even more excited to go to SakuraCon~ :3

...and I'm wearing my Komui cosplay as I type. x3 It's so cool~ (although I commissioned the coat, because I've had difficulties with making coats in the past...*shiver* )

...I wish I could find my camera chargerrrr...

Yay! IM SO EXITED!!! Even though Im not done yet >__> (I just have to finish my shoes, then find my dress pants.)
But overall Im super excited! I was wearing my Allen earlier XD

Hmmm I did his collar different (but now that you mention it, I totally see the buckle strap things!), my cameras not working right at the moment but I'll try and get pics of my completed coat soon!
I remade alot of it, and Im so happy with the result.

ArchangelMika
04-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks so much, tsuoi_kaze!

tsuoi_kaze
04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
@ArchangelMika- No problem ^_^

For anyone cosplaying Allen, where did/will you get your wig? I've found a few that could work...with cutting and styling -_-. I'm really bad with wigs, so I'm looking for something that would require minimal styling.

Jekka
04-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I just found a thick, long straight white wig without bangs, rather long actually, and cut my way up, adding a ton of layers. It took a few hours, and I still need to add some product in, but I'm quite pleased with how it ended up.

.. course, now there's little white strands all over my workspace.

bubydub
04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Does anyone know good places to have a photoshoot for D.gray-man peoples? : D

Pencil
04-04-2007, 10:09 PM
@ArchangelMika- No problem ^_^

For anyone cosplaying Allen, where did/will you get your wig? I've found a few that could work...with cutting and styling -_-. I'm really bad with wigs, so I'm looking for something that would require minimal styling.

I got mine from http://myworld.ebay.com/zhenna0036, the wig is really nice and they have fast shipping. My only tiff is that the wig doesnt have a fake scalp, so when I did the big pooffy bangs middle parted, you could see the from weft, I just moved the part more to the side and the problem was fixed though (plus it looks better on me with a side part XD I cant pull off a middle part!)

tsuoi_kaze
04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
I got mine from http://myworld.ebay.com/zhenna0036, the wig is really nice and they have fast shipping. My only tiff is that the wig doesnt have a fake scalp, so when I did the big pooffy bangs middle parted, you could see the from weft, I just moved the part more to the side and the problem was fixed though (plus it looks better on me with a side part XD I cant pull off a middle part!)

Ooh! Thanks!

I looked at the store and I want to get this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Silky-Layered-Cosplay-Medium-Wigs-Skin_W0QQitemZ110102592492QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60188 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) (I'm going for the manga-look, why is his hair so short in the anime?)
Now I have to explain to my dad why I want to get a wig off ebay! He's the only one who knows our ebay password XD

Pencil
04-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Ooh! Thanks!

I looked at the store and I want to get this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Silky-Layered-Cosplay-Medium-Wigs-Skin_W0QQitemZ110102592492QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60188 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) (I'm going for the manga-look, why is his hair so short in the anime?)
Now I have to explain to my dad why I want to get a wig off ebay! He's the only one who knows our ebay password XD

Yup! Thats the wig I got :D
Im gong for Manga version too, I dont like his short hair as much either XD

Rekka
04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Yay! IM SO EXITED!!! Even though Im not done yet >__> (I just have to finish my shoes, then find my dress pants.)
But overall Im super excited! I was wearing my Allen earlier XD

Hmmm I did his collar different (but now that you mention it, I totally see the buckle strap things!), my cameras not working right at the moment but I'll try and get pics of my completed coat soon!
I remade alot of it, and Im so happy with the result.

Nice. :3

...and I found my camera charger. *happy*

colourfulninja
04-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Anyone has a picture of Rhode in her latest costume without the jacket? If not,just find a picture with her dress shirt

tsuoi_kaze
04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
^^; I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I have a picture of the dress shirt. (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/tsuoi_kaze/D_Gray-Man_v03_ch24_p11.jpg)
And here's a cute pic for fun (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/tsuoi_kaze/D_Gray-Man_v05_ch39_p01.jpg)if it helps at all!

chocochewiness
04-07-2007, 06:19 PM
o_o

well, i've finally joined the d.gray-man bandwagon. I feel special.

I'm working on Rinali's first exorcist uniform (because it's waaaay cuter, and I hate hotpants).
I have a question about the hair though. My hair naturally black, but it's only shoulder length when I put it in pigtails... and my parents refuse to let me buy a wig or extensions. I was wondering, would it look awkward if my hair was too short?

colourfulninja
04-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I finally found some good pictures of her,but my friend says that people won't recognize me in her newer costume..would people recognize me even in her new costume or not?
so far I've only finished the basics-socks I have,umbrella(almost done),frills under her skirt,shoes,skirt and most of the shirt(no frills yet)

<her white dress shirt>
http://groups.msn.com/D-Gray-ManMang...o&PhotoID=2020
<her black jacket>
http://groups.msn.com/D-Gray-ManMang...o&PhotoID=1778

tsuoi_kaze
04-08-2007, 07:04 PM
^_^ I ordered my wig! One less thing to do!

>.>................<.<.........>.>........I'll cut out my pattern tomorrow, I swear.
Why can't anyone make a pattern for a coat with a hood? That would save alot of D.Grey-Man and Organization XIII (maybe even a few FMA) cosplayers from the trouble of figuring out how to attach a gigantic 3-panel hood to a collar space barely large enough to fit your neck...
But that would be too obvious.
lol. I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, I just had that thought.

Jekka
04-08-2007, 08:00 PM
^^;; I made my hood too small. It's like, too short.. doesn't stay on my head unless I hold it there. Aaaaah, oh well. I didn't have that problem with Allen, but I must have goofed cutting it out.

tsuoi_kaze
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm planning on making a pattern out of newspaper or something first. I want my hood to be really big so that if (when actually, even if I don't have time to make it for this con, there's another con right after that I'm not making anything new for.) I make Timcanpi I can hide him under my hood.

So I'll walk around, all dark and sinister looking. Then a take off my hood and WOOSH! Timcanpi!!!

baku_neko
04-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Gah. I'm at a total loss as to what to do for a Rabi wig.

Instead of making a new thread in the wig section I thought I'd post here first.

So........any suggestions? I'd like ebay or Cosworx wigs preferably.

And is his damm hair regular red, orange, or dark red? >_<

Pollux
04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Gah. I'm at a total loss as to what to do for a Rabi wig.

Instead of making a new thread in the wig section I thought I'd post here first.

So........any suggestions? I'd like ebay or Cosworx wigs preferably.

And is his damm hair regular red, orange, or dark red? >_<
Several of us are using the Angela 750 in Henna Red from Cosworx. It takes quite a bit of styling, but it's a great base.

I think actual hair color is personal preference. A few things to help...

Someone posted this much earlier in this thread, I think. -->
http://i16.tinypic.com/2z9fyc7.jpg

And here's how HanyaanFaery did her wig. Links don't work because it's a screenie, but her wig turned out so amazing that I had to screenie this. -->
http://i16.tinypic.com/2r23fp3.png

Like Hanyaan, I used a metal-plated flat iron to straighten mine out as well, and it's gone under similar abuse since then. It's a tough wig. And not just tough... TUFF.

baku_neko
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Hmm that was helpful cposey. Thanks! ^^

EDIT:

Think this might work? My friend keeps wanting me to get this one, but I dunno...

ebay link! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110111121196&rd=1&rd=1)

I'm not aiming for 100% accuracy right now, cause this is a last minute cosplay. I know that wig might not be a long as his hair appears to be, but yeah...it seems to be about the length of that wig used in the Japanese pic you showed me?

Please note I know nothing about wigs. :-p

Pollux
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Actually, yeah. -blink- That's a great find!

My hair's about that short, and if I'm goofing around I'll put on my headband and it's just the right length for crazy Rabi hair.

You may not have much margin for error, but I think it'll work great. :D

tsuoi_kaze
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
To all of the Lavi/Rabi cosplayers: You guys are amazing for being able to style a wig like that! Wow.

My only problem is gloves. Where am I supposed to get gloves? I'm thinking the base exchange but I don't know when I can make it over there. They have a great uniform store, hopefully they'll carry dress gloves. And boots, I have no idea how to alter them. Well, other than taking them to a professional. But that sounds expensive when all I want to do is attach some zippers.
XD I'm sitting here trying to figure everything out and I still haven't even got my pattern cut out.

-_-...Yeah, I haven't gotten started. Why must I keep lying to myself I'll do it then". Then homework or something shows up to ruin my costume plans DX.
I can't wait untill the summer, I'll have almost a month to do nothing but work!

fukutaichou
04-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Sorry to ask this, but does anyone have some reference for the (manga version)Emblem/pin? I've been trying to find pics of them(for an upcoming cosplay) but no luck >__<;

Pollux
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Here ya go. :D

baku_neko
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Several of us are using the Angela 750 in Henna Red from Cosworx. It takes quite a bit of styling, but it's a great base.

I think actual hair color is personal preference. A few things to help...

Someone posted this much earlier in this thread, I think. -->
http://i16.tinypic.com/2z9fyc7.jpg

And here's how HanyaanFaery did her wig. Links don't work because it's a screenie, but her wig turned out so amazing that I had to screenie this. -->
http://i16.tinypic.com/2r23fp3.png

Like Hanyaan, I used a metal-plated flat iron to straighten mine out as well, and it's gone under similar abuse since then. It's a tough wig. And not just tough... TUFF.

Ok...now from what I gather using heat on wigs is a no-no? Even on low heat what are the chances of the iron damaging my wig? Any tricks I should know? And what's the purpose for the iron in that Japanese tutorial? Is it the straigten the hair a bit or bend it?

Pollux
04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok...now from what I gather using heat on wigs is a no-no? Even on low heat what are the chances of the iron damaging my wig? Any tricks I should know? And what's the purpose for the iron in that Japanese tutorial? Is it the straigten the hair a bit or bend it?
Yeah, everyone says that heat is a definite no-no, but using only hot water was taking too long, and I took a chance. As long as I kept the iron moving, used light pressure, and worked with very small sections at a time, I had no problems at all. I tested it on a spot I knew was going to be cut off (the bangs), and when that section went well, I just kept going.

I think they're using the iron in the japanese tutorial to help shape the different segments... their layers are kinda flat and... stuff. Freshly ironed. o_o

baku_neko
04-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Ok. This is driving me crazy.

Concerning Rabi's first outfit in the manga, I can't seem to find a good pic of his pants from the back. I want to know if he has pockets in the back.

So umm...anyone got a pic of Rabi's butt? XD

Jekka
04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Woohoo! I finished my TinCampy! He's not the most elegant looking fellow, and the handstitching on his wings is awful, but what he makes up for in form he makes up in functionality. With craft foam and sharpie wings and tail, and a felt body with a white cotton lining, I included a small zipper on his belly so that I can... yes, that's right...

FILL TINCAMPY WITH JELLYBEANS.

Why? Because I crack up at the idea of Tincampy being full of candy. And this way I can give back some candy love to anyone who compliments the new cosplay ^_~

Now just the boot covers (I suck at these! SUCK!!) and the hand from helllllll (don't even get me started ;_;) to go. I have until WEDNESDAY to finish. Start your engines!

tsuoi_kaze
04-13-2007, 10:16 PM
FILL TINCAMPY WITH JELLYBEANS.

XD That's amazing! Can I say that this idea totally wins :bigtu:

I must get to work. I must get to work. i must get to work imustgettowork!!!!!!!!
*dies only to get to work immediately when someone revives me*
I think I'll work on Allen tomorrow ^_^

harmaa
04-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Stupid newbie question - for those of you who have done/are doing Rabi, did you make or buy his eyepatch?

[A-D-O-R-E]
04-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I bought his eyepatch at RiteAid. But I didn't realy like it too much, it kid of stuck out in a point.

Hehe I also bought my wig cap there >___<;

harmaa
04-14-2007, 12:20 PM
That wouldn't be good for me, considering I'm already blind as a bat and will have to wear glasses over the eyepatch (shh, I'll take them off for photos!). ;;

Pencil
04-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey everyone! Im pretty far along with my Allen costume, I have a picture up of it so far (I wore it to a con before finishing or styling the wig XDD Oops!). Im pretty happy with it so far. I think I just have small things to do like tailor the coat a little bit, and style my wig (maybe add a few more wefts).

Anyway good luck everyone! I cant wait to see everyones costumes!

tsuoi_kaze- Work! Work! I want to see your Allen!!

Jekka
04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Agh... your wig looks so nice. how many wefts are in there? No matter what I do to mine, it just looks so thin and ... girly.

tsuoi_kaze
04-25-2007, 02:45 PM
*dusts off thread*

My wig came today!
And I have the same question as Jekka. Pencil, your wig looks great! How did you do it?

harmaa
04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh. My. God.

For those of you who keep up to date with the manga... XD I don't want to post spoilers, BUT. I really hope someone manages to cosplay a certain new form/weapon. *cough* If anyone manages to do it in time for Acen, I will be very happy.

Pollux
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
OH MAN.

Seriously. SRSLY. Someon'e gotta do that.

I really need to start sewing. At least I got part of my headband done and my hammer partially spray-painted. Get outta here, Procrastication Posey!

tsuoi_kaze
04-29-2007, 10:12 PM
O.o I think somebody has done it...I'm not sure. I'd love to see one in person.
(that is, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about.)

GRARRGH! Now I'm stuck on making the wig acceptable. Why must I have dark hair T_T!
cposey, I feel your pain. I really need to start sewing but...so...much...homework... I swear, at this rate I'll be working 24/7 when school lets out. At least I have that long ^_^!

LaPetiteSalope
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
I gotta get contacts for my Allen Walker cosplay. If only custom contacts weren't so expensive. >_<

Pencil
05-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Agh... your wig looks so nice. how many wefts are in there? No matter what I do to mine, it just looks so thin and ... girly.

*dusts off thread*

My wig came today!
And I have the same question as Jekka. Pencil, your wig looks great! How did you do it?

Hmmmm, mine seemed to be okay, then again, I dont really have a lot of hair in the first place so stretching wefts has never really been a problem ^^.
I did notice after wearing it for a few hours that it was a little thinner than I would like, Im thinking about sewing more wefts in nad styling it some more.
Im so so so sorry if my wig advice was bad >___<!
Mine was nice, I wonder why....

Maybe getting a wite wig cap would help too??
Once again, sorry!! I feel bad.

tsuoi_kaze
05-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Hmmmm, mine seemed to be okay, then again, I dont really have a lot of hair in the first place so stretching wefts has never really been a problem ^^.
I did notice after wearing it for a few hours that it was a little thinner than I would like, Im thinking about sewing more wefts in nad styling it some more.
Im so so so sorry if my wig advice was bad >___<!
Mine was nice, I wonder why....

Maybe getting a wite wig cap would help too??
Once again, sorry!! I feel bad.

*Is confised* Why feel bad? The wig is awesome!

XD Mine just looks a bit odd because of my massive amounts of dark brown hair. I fully plan on wearing about 3 white wig caps to mask it, lol!
...A haircut probably wouldn't kill me either...*has been putting it off for a while*

Pencil
05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
*Is confised* Why feel bad? The wig is awesome!

XD Mine just looks a bit odd because of my massive amounts of dark brown hair. I fully plan on wearing about 3 white wig caps to mask it, lol!
...A haircut probably wouldn't kill me either...*has been putting it off for a while*

Ahhhh okay *lol* I guess there was a bit of a miss understanding on my part! I thought you guys meant the wig sucked XD
I can see where massive ammounts of hair would make it look funky, although most wigs are that way. I hope you can figure it out! Im still playing with my wig to make it look better.

AznGalahad
05-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Stupid newbie question - for those of you who have done/are doing Rabi, did you make or buy his eyepatch?

I also bought the eyebatch at riteaid, but it sticks out at some point, probably because it better protects the eye that way.

However, I think I will make my own soon, because it would look better.

Pencil
05-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Oh. My. God.

For those of you who keep up to date with the manga... XD I don't want to post spoilers, BUT. I really hope someone manages to cosplay a certain new form/weapon. *cough* If anyone manages to do it in time for Acen, I will be very happy.

OH MAN! I just read what you are talking about, no doubt in my mind I am totally going to cosplay that :D!!
That in mind, does anyone have any crown clown pictures in color? Because I know his cape is probablly supposed to be white, but I think it would look really awesome if it was red...

bubydub
05-23-2007, 12:36 PM
As said in the Commisioners on Cosplay.com Thread:

Hello everybody! I make the buttons for D.gray-man exorcist costumes.

The price of each button is $3, not including shipping.

Here are some pictures of some I have made: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51538717/?qo=3&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51538717/?qo=3&q=by%3Abubydub+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime)

I can make up to 15 in one day, and I will ship them as soon as they are completed.

Please PM me via cosplay.com or email me at bubydub4@hotmail.com.

Thanks for looking!

tsuoi_kaze
05-23-2007, 05:15 PM
@bubydub- :toothy: You rock, I can't figure out how to make those to save my life (I tried and failed T_T)

Justke
05-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm gonna start working on my Miranda cosplay once summer break starts xD luckily I chose a character that has NORMAL hair, thus I can use my real hair and a curling iron. I love the person who uploaded fullbody scans of Miranda from the manga in the earlier pages *____* Google is very unkind when it comes to those...What I'm afraid of is the skintight nature of her outfit and the shiney-pleather/pvc fabric that would probably be best to make it. Fullbody sweatyness, oh noes!! xD Perhaps if I line it with a cooler, breathable fabric it might be more bearable...I'll get practice with how lining works when I work on Riku's vest ^^ and with Miranda's zipper on one of the sleeves, fresh air haha!! xD

I'm rambling and weird, sorry ^^;

Troa Axaltion
05-30-2007, 10:22 AM
And a hello to all fellow D.Gray-fans.

A friend of mine is going to cosplay Miranda, and really wants me to cosplay Allen, only problem is, I think I'm a little to chunky to do Allen. She says 'don't worry, the coat will hide it!' what do you guys think, any ideas or suggestions?

rynaii
06-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Don't worry about being too chunky~ As long as you have love and dedication for the character, I'm sure you'll pull off a great cosplay in the end. It's about having fun, too!

Greetings to all of the D. Gray-man cosplayers, btw! The costume workshop I belong to, Starry Petals, has been working hard on our D. Gray-man costume pieces... Each time we revise we feel like we are a bit closer to the manga.

Well, you can check out our work at:
http://starrypetals.livejournal.com/974.html

And visit our seller's post on Cosplay.com:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=114409

ArchangelMika
06-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know about how tall Allen is supposed to be? I found some boots I might buy, but the soles are about 3 and a half inches tall, which would put me roughly at about 5'8". What do you guys think? Too tall?

Pollux
06-04-2007, 09:42 PM

A friend of mine is going to cosplay Miranda, and really wants me to cosplay Allen, only problem is, I think I'm a little to chunky to do Allen. She says 'don't worry, the coat will hide it!' what do you guys think, any ideas or suggestions?
Allen's one of the better characters to cosplay for larger people. Black, for the most part, hides bulges fairly well, and you could always make your coat so that it flatters whatever body shape you have.

Does anyone know about how tall Allen is supposed to be? I found some boots I might buy, but the soles are about 3 and a half inches tall, which would put me roughly at about 5'8". What do you guys think? Too tall?
I think Allen's height is only important when it's compared to the rest of the group. If you've got a Rabi or Kanda that are much shorter than you, then I'd say that it's a little bit of a problem. If you're on your own, then I say that it's no problem at all.

keriko
06-05-2007, 10:52 PM
I think Allen's height is only important when it's compared to the rest of the group. If you've got a Rabi or Kanda that are much shorter than you, then I'd say that it's a little bit of a problem. If you're on your own, then I say that it's no problem at all.

said the Rabi with the 5'9" Allen. ^_^ Actually I don't think it was ever a problem. No one seemed too bothered by it and i know i didn't care. ^^ Allen luffs all height be damned!

Allen is nice to cosplay because of the black but be warned, his costume is a bit elaborate. All the trim, the hood, the white lines on the coat and hood, all those damned buttons! Its a labor of love i tell ya!

tsuoi_kaze
06-06-2007, 11:26 PM
T_T...I'm probably shorter than Allen, but if I'm ever with a group I know I won't have to worry about having Kanda or Lavi being shorter than me. Short people unite!.....please?

I'm not exactly thin *coughI'mchunkycough* and I'm working on Allen. I actually never even considered that untill you said it just now, I was more worried about WHERE my waistline is as opposed to how big it is. I have a high waist even for a girl; and as a guy, Allen has a low waist. XD Even though it's a coat it's still somewhat fitted, I'm really not suited for crossplay.

Go for it! If made right the coat could look very flattering on you!

ArchangelMika
06-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok, 5'8" will have to do, because I already ordered the boots. Hopefully I won't look like some kind of weird goth version of Allen with my platform boots :crylaugh:

This is the first time I've every worried about being too tall. It's very....strange...

tsuoi_kaze
06-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I found a page in the manga that said that he's 168 cm= about 5'6''
I think I should have gotten platform boots, Allen has about 5 inches on me!
T_T s-h-o-r-t= m-e.

GAH! Why am I still on the computer?!?! Back to work!

Christie
06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Sweet, I'm the right height to cosplay Allen 8D
How tall is Lavi supposed to be, do you know? -too lazy to look-

ArchangelMika
06-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I found a page in the manga that said that he's 168 cm= about 5'6''

Oh, that's not too bad then. With my bad posture and tendancy to slouch, it should be about right, haha.

I think I should have gotten platform boots, Allen has about 5 inches on me!
T_T s-h-o-r-t= m-e.

Aw, you'll be a cute little beansprout Allen though!

Pollux
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Sweet, I'm the right height to cosplay Allen 8D
How tall is Lavi supposed to be, do you know? -too lazy to look-
They've got Rabs at 177cm, which I think is 5'8". That seems kind of short in comparison. :O

tsuoi_kaze
06-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm still looking for red gloves. I've got a feeling that I'll find them months from now when I really don't need them...we shall see!

Aw, you'll be a cute little beansprout Allen though!

XD

SpookyElectric
06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
So, about a year and a half after I started planning my General Cross costume, I'm finally working on it. (Hopefully it'll be done for AX. If not, then definitely Otakon) I have my button design done. Since there was some discussion before of how to make them, here's how I made mine:

* I started by making 1/4 of the button out of Sculpey.
* Then I pushed that into piece of non-drying clay, rotating 90 degrees each time. (Photo of imprinted clay (http://epii.info/anime/misc/dgm/plasticine%20clay%20mold.jpg))
* Smoothed out the result in the clay, and curved the clay a bit to make the design bump out (the original Sculpey was flat)
* Cast resin in that mold.
* Sanded the resin a bit. Maybe added a little Sculpey. (most post of the "adding" type work was done by manipulating the mold) Then repeated, using that to make a new mold, pressing it in the clay multiple times, rotating 90 degrees to keep it symmetric. Photo of various iterations (http://epii.info/anime/misc/dgm/Various%20Intermediary%20Steps.jpg)
* Then when I was content with the result, I gave it several coats of spray paint to further even out the surface finish. (Which spraypaint you use makes a big difference - layers need to be not too thick)
* Then made the final mold with RTV Silicone. (which I need to redo because it has a few bubbles)

This is the end result (http://epii.info/anime/misc/dgm/Silver.jpg), coating the inside of the mold w/ silver-colored metallic powder.

I tried distressing the button be spraying black paint on it & wiping it off. Unfortunately that significantly decreases the reflectivity, so I may need to find a different approach for that.
Here are photos of the original (black, because that's the color paint I used on it), silver after distressing, and a test of gold: Photo 1 (http://epii.info/anime/misc/dgm/Original,%20Gold,%20and%20distressed%20Silver.jpg) Photo 2 (http://epii.info/anime/misc/dgm/Original,%20Gold,%20and%20distressed%20Silver%202. jpg) And here's a bunch of silver ones. (http://epii.info/anime/misc/dgm/Buttons.jpg)

Though I tested gold, my Cross will be black & white, using silver buttons. I don't suppose anyone wants to trade an embroidered exorcist cross for a set of buttons made by me?

keriko
06-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Has anyone made the 2nd version uniform?
What did you use for the white parts?
I was thinking of making the coat out of black twill as pleather would be too hot, Texas summer anyone? I was then gonna use white pleather for the white parts and sew said parts on.

Also does anyone know where i can get a REALLY long white zipper? We're talking over 40". Its for Allen's left sleeve.
http://www.cosrevo.com/ja/item/data/DGray_man_new_allen/DGray_man_new_allen_dai02.jpg
There's a reference shot if anyone's wondering what i'm talking about.

bubydub
06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Has anyone made the 2nd version uniform?
What did you use for the white parts?
I was thinking of making the coat out of black twill as pleather would be too hot, Texas summer anyone? I was then gonna use white pleather for the white parts and sew said parts on.

Also does anyone know where i can get a REALLY long white zipper? We're talking over 40". Its for Allen's left sleeve.
http://www.cosrevo.com/ja/item/data/DGray_man_new_allen/DGray_man_new_allen_dai02.jpg
There's a reference shot if anyone's wondering what i'm talking about.

A really long white zipper can be found at joann's. The sleeping bag zippers are quite long. : D Black and white twill is what my group used too.

Pollux
06-13-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm bumping this up, since the board's starting to get cluttered with individual questions that have already been answered here. <3

Koda89
06-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Heh, I just noticed something.....overall, General Winters is the easiest of all the Generals to make. Well...in terms of his clothes. He wears an open shirt with no Exorcist buttons, no zippers, nothing hard, and then he has pants and a robe/dress over his pants.

However....in exchange for no difficulties on his clothing....he has a LOT of armor......T^T

And I still don't know for the love of me if he has an Exorcist badge on or not. Though I think he does, so Ill make one regadless.

Agnikurina
06-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Question...
How long do you think a wig for Kanda Yuu Chara should be?

EDIT: forgot to say I am 5'8". I forgot that matters. :p

Pollux
06-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Question...
How long do you think a wig for Kanda Yuu Chara should be?
I'd say 30" or longer... something that hit about mid-back once pulled up.

Agnikurina
06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I'd say 30" or longer... something that hit about mid-back once pulled up.

30"? Okie dok.

The reason why I am asking is... I still can't get used to the inch system. I have no freaking idea how long an inch is... T_T

silver_deeds
06-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Hey Guys! I don't think no one's asked this yet, so...

I was going through the manga I had to scrape up last-minuet details I might have missed before I got started, and I did happen to read something. It said that the uniforms were silver-lined. But that confused me since the colored images as well as the anime make it white. Should I attempt silver lining (silver material is harder to find, or having to paint it) or should I do what everyone's doing and just make it white? And would it look too weird or bad, after only seeing it in white?

bubydub
06-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Hey Guys! I don't think no one's asked this yet, so...

I was going through the manga I had to scrape up last-minuet details I might have missed before I got started, and I did happen to read something. It said that the uniforms were silver-lined. But that confused me since the colored images as well as the anime make it white. Should I attempt silver lining (silver material is harder to find, or having to paint it) or should I do what everyone's doing and just make it white? And would it look too weird or bad, after only seeing it in white?

Does this quote happen to be when Crowely gambles all of his clothes away? If so, they just meant that all the buttons and crosses were made of silver, not the white linings. Hope that helps! Dang, you're up late...