PDA

View Full Version : Anbu Cosplay

BlitzZ
03-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Alright, To simplify things. I'm a 12 year old guy with only limited amount of sewing knowledge so I have enlisted the help of my Home Ec teacher to help me make an anbu costume. The problem is, I have no idea how to do it or where to start. The only thing I'm sure of is that I need to get a mask, and get 2 fake swords for my back.

If anyone can help me in any way, I would be very grateful.

BlitzZ
03-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Sorry.double posted-can someone delete this.

Eclipseofsorrow
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm willing to help you out, it seems like a rather simple costume. However, I dont really follow Naruto -hides in shame-. ;>> Im guessing they all wear that white tank over black shirt thing. -shifty eyes- Uah, if you've got AIM send me a message and I can help you more over that. I'm not good at just giving instructions, but if I can ask some questions then I'll set you on your way. =D

My aim is Foo x Ling x Yuu

(if you don't have AIM, send me a PM)

Raver-Sakura
03-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Ah! I can sure help ya out!
<--Narutard
I can say contact a member named
"Wuffers"
She's cosplayed ANBU before!
If not, just contact me k? :3

pho3nix
03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
I can try to give you some tips ^_^

For me I bought the black top and altered it. I got stretchy cotton long sleeved turtleneck and seam ripped the sleeves. Fold the raw edges of the now sleeveless shirt, and sew along to prevent fraying. Depending how tight you want the shirt to be, you can always flip the shirt inside out, put it on, and ask someone to help you pin it to desired width. Grab some tailor's chalk or something similar, mark the pinned with, take the pins out, take the shirt off and sew along the line. Afterwards cut the leftover seams and zig-zag the edges, again, to prevent fraying.

Pants I already had since forever ... they're nothing more than tight cotton leggings. For the male ANBU, I think they wear baggier pants ... maybe something along the line of sweat pants that's similar in color and texture as your black top?

Okay, the hard part: the vest. Don't do the cardboard method if you can, it tends to look very stiff. I used heavy white fabric to mimic the weight of the ANBU vests. Closure though, you can pick to be accurate and have snaps on the straps. But for me, I have a separable zipper on the side so I can get in and out without being stuck XD I made my vest really tight on me.

EDIT: I didn't use a pattern at all to make this costume (many people PMed me asking to have mine ^^;;). Instead, I freehanded it completely by drawing the basic shape of the vest out, sew the sides together, then attached the straps.

I hope that helps ^^

Terensu
03-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Personally, I haven't made one myself... Actually I haven't made anything at all, hehehe. Anyways, I saw an ANBU outfit that really really made me want one. It was basically white fabric carefully glued on the foam, I think... I can't explain it but it looked bullet proof! If you type ANBU on costume search click on Pan-Chan, I tells you that ANBU vest and arm protector made me want to cosplay as ANBU!

Cora
03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
For a beginner I would start out with things that are easily modifiable - the undershirt and pants are easy enough to buy at a second-hand store, or rummage through your closet to find. I wouldn't necessarily bother with padding the vest unless you want to - the only padding I did on my vest was the strip around the bottom. I made my vest completely from scratch - I drafted my own pattern and tested it out with muslin a couple times. I do not recommend trying to do your own pattern if you haven't first worked with other patterns. You might try one of two (or both) things: 1) find a white (or gray, depending on how you want to interpret colors. I used dark gray) tanktop from a second-hand store and modify. Sew a couple things on to give it the correct lines and shape that it needs. Or you can go and find a pattern from a fabric store (go when they only cost like, $1, not $15. There'll be sales), and work from there. I agree with using heavier fabric.

Gloves you can buy, or easily make by tracing your hand with a seam allowance and sewing along the contour of the edges (not right at the edges). I got very detailed with my shoes, but you might be fine with a pair of sturdy sandals and the pants.

anbu_sasuke92
08-25-2006, 01:51 PM
thank you kindly that helped a lot
XXX

krisisme
09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Hmm.. let's see.. well I'm currently trying to find the fabric for my shirt and I was thinking spandex.. I'm actually having trouble finding a way to sew it together.. my mom's friend said she couldn't make my shirt b/c her sewing machine doesn't sew spandex.. I know nothing about it so can someone help me out? See, I want my shirt material to match the material for my face mask(kakashi) and gloves.. I don't really want to use cotton either. What do yall think I should do? I also wanted to know if yall have gone to an alteration place and got something made before. If so.. how much did it cost yall?

I'm also still thinking about the vest.. I've seen one pattern on how to make it and I've been told another way which was the " sandwhich" method.. in which I would have to pieces front and a back then I put it together and add the straps to it. What type of pattern worked best for yall?

london2191
09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm sorta working on the whole ANBU thing myself but if you can't machine sew, hand sew? I dunno....g'luck! =)

ladon76
09-25-2006, 10:34 AM
heyyy,
i'm thinking of doing an ANBU costume for my first cosplay, too.
->Krisisme, instead of spandex, what do you think about UnderArmour? it's material athletes wear for training and under their equip.(like football/hockey pads and such)...just a thought.

plus, Cora & Asano, great tips - thanks!
peace,
ladon

krisisme
09-25-2006, 11:28 AM
heyyy,
i'm thinking of doing an ANBU costume for my first cosplay, too.
->Krisisme, instead of spandex, what do you think about UnderArmour? it's material athletes wear for training and under their equip.(like football/hockey pads and such)...just a thought.

plus, Cora & Asano, great tips - thanks!
peace,
ladon

I do have an underarmour shirt, but I got it as a gift from my g.f and I wouldn't want to alter it lol.. I am also anal about the fabric being the same throughout the costume..ex.. I want the shirt to be the same material and tone of black as my gloves and my kakashi mask.. I compared many fabrics with underarmour and underarmour fabric seems to be lighter in tone and the pattern of it is different.. see? I'm anal.. lol.. I also want to make my shirt as accurate as I can by having a mock neck on it and having the shoulders show more. I don't really want to use those fall sweater type shirts b.c again.. the material would be different than the gloves and the mask.. I'm soo wierd dammit lol.

Right now, I'm working on the material for the vest.. hmm anyone got any ideas? I want something durable.. but something that doesn't stain easily with dirt.