PDA

View Full Version : Wish

lialia
02-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Hmm i seem to be having problems with finding people who have read clamps' Wish.

Its a really cute story about angels and demons and love and i for one am totally enthralled by it

ne one?please?

kitty_neko
02-21-2003, 11:52 AM
i have 1-3 of Wish! i got started on it when i got the first 2 for my b-day ^_^

Babbit_Chan
02-21-2003, 11:54 AM
I love Wish! I read it a while back through scanslations @ Cherrycoma.net while it hadn't been licensed. I'm getting the manga to own now >3 KOURYUU I LOVE YOU!

lialia
02-21-2003, 12:09 PM
you should get 4 kitty-neko ahhh its great!(its also the last one)

short series but i love it shuichiro ...*drools*

kitty_neko
02-21-2003, 12:12 PM
hehe, yeah... i'll probably get it next month... or whenever that stupid book store decides to stock again *glares at waldenbooks* ._.;

Gothic_Lulu
02-21-2003, 12:48 PM
I read Wish. I actually first bought it at my school's book fair thing...they had a whole manga scetion ^_^. I don't know a lot of people who read it though...

Hikaruchan
02-21-2003, 01:55 PM
I have had the artbook and 1 manga for a while, and now have 1-3 of the translated manga. I would like to cosplay Koryu some time or one of the cats.

Spooky Brew
02-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Have it all, bay-be!! It's a very cute story, I enjoyed very much!

scandia
02-21-2003, 04:42 PM
I LOVE Wish. I have read all 4 volumes. I was not expecting to like it anywhere near as much as I do. Of course, I do like angels and wings and stuff like that- but this was great. I liked the ending even though I do not believe in certain aspects of it, but it is still nice.

aimee
02-21-2003, 05:27 PM
I've read all of WISH! I think the facial expressions in it arent as good as some other clamp manga, but I LOVE the designs, and the story up until the last few pages was really good!

(kinda seems like they rushed the ending) anyway! wish is cool!

videogirlc
02-21-2003, 08:36 PM
I have them all. Love them all, must get teh art book. The ending was ok but did seem short and cut off. Think they could've gone with an extra volume. Still love it though.

Babbit_Chan
02-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Hikaruchan: I've been dying to cosplay Kouryuu or one of the cats as well ^^

KuroBara
02-21-2003, 10:19 PM
I love Wish, I've read the first 2 volumes. Kokyou is my fave bishonen of the series. Those cute little birds make some wiseass remarks!

Setsuna22
02-22-2003, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lialia
[B]Hmm i seem to be having problems with finding people who have read clamps' Wish.

Its a really cute story about angels and demons and love and i for one am totally enthralled by it

You're right! It is really cute, and I bought all of them cause Im a Clamp superfreak, but I have to say it's definitely not one of their best efforts. The story is too bland, and the characters kinda get on my nerves a little. But, It was really cute^^

KuroBara
02-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Has anyone considered cosplaying any of the characters? I'd love to do a Ryuuri / Hari duo.

Something Lulu
02-27-2003, 12:35 PM
I think any one of the devils would be cool to cosplay. They were all so cute. ^_^ I read all four volumes at work on my lunchbreaks. It was really cute, and I liked the story, but not enough to buy it, especially since I read the whole thing already. (I tend to buy the longer, more involved mangas that I know I'll want to go back and read an earlier part of again.) I would have liked Shuichiro to have been in it a little more. And Videogirlc is right, they could have used another volume. Still, it was definitely worth reading.

Velvy
03-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I got the whole series. And I used to have that picture from the special bonus series (in that Wish box) of the Kohaku/Schuichiro kiss. ;_; Now I've lost it. Must...find....

IdatenMiki
03-01-2003, 09:10 PM
^_^ i wanted to do hari's costume and Kohaku's costume really bad. hari and ruri are so cute and i love their personalities their just one of those awesome bad guys, and kohaku's costume is really cool i'd love to do it.

Teteiyusu
03-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Hello!
I have all 4 volumes, I really enjoyed reading them!
The characters are wonderful, any story that has anything to do with angels and demons has my vote!
Clamp has wonderful manga's!

Allia
03-08-2003, 04:53 PM
I LOVE it! It has caused me to be obsessed with anime/manga that has anything to do with angels and/or devils. I have only read the first two. Must read the others!

lialia
03-08-2003, 05:21 PM
well hari and riri are bad without being homicidal maniacs :) they just like to mix it up

Karasu
03-16-2003, 12:19 AM
I love Wish! I thought the ending was a bit rushed, but that's just me, I guess. Too bad it's only 4 volumes. I thought it would had been longer, considering it was made by CLAMP, but I guess not. Oh, well. ^_^

kitty_neko
03-16-2003, 10:02 AM
SPOILERS!!!-

*just got the last book* i hated the ending!! *pouts* it shouldnt have worked that way... and what actually CAUSED him to die?? he just.... fell over and died! and who says his re-encarnation will be like him? grr.... it was a good series but the ending could have been better T_T;

Rosiel
03-16-2003, 10:12 AM
I didn't think this would need to be said but...

Would you mind putting *SPOILERS*and some blank lines before spoilers? I came in to see if it was worth reading this manga, and while I'm still not exactly sure what it's about, I surely know how it ends!

><

kitty_neko
03-16-2003, 10:34 AM
*hits self in the head* niiii, im so slow!! i edited my other post... i didnt mean to ruin the ending for you Rosiel!!! im so sorry im so sorry im so sorry!! *begs forgivness* T_T;;;;

Kiko-chan
03-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Koryu completely rules! ^_^ Not that that's entirely related...

Velvy
03-22-2003, 06:44 PM
*goes back to read Hari and Ruri's lines*

"Nuh-uh do you think Master Koryu likes Kohaku as in like-likes?"

"That's probably why he picks on her so much!"

"Bullying is just another way to say 'I love you'!"

Koryu: "WHAaaaaat?!"

*Velvy smiles--I knew it! >:) * I want to cosplay Kohaku now too, but noo Schuichiro--Koryu my partner. Koryu Koryu Koryu.

nekochan
04-01-2003, 09:23 PM
awwwwwwww Wish is so cute!! i'm probably going to be in a Ruri/Hari duo at a future AX.. maybe AX'04.. fwee! :D

Kia
04-14-2003, 06:56 AM
I found wish just sitting there in my local comic book store one day. I basically bought it b/c it was clamp and b/c I needed something to read, that was a few months ago. I feel really bad now b/c I never finished reading it, but if everyone loves it so much then I think I'll take another look at it. ^_^

avagoyle
04-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Noooooooo they made Kohaku a girl????

I am DEFINITLY not buying the english manga then. >< It's much cheaper in Japanese anyway. :P

Babbit_Chan
04-14-2003, 07:42 PM
I HATE when they change genders for the sake of "protecting" young readers. In the second manga when Kohaku talks to Shuichiro's dad, Kohaku does tell him that he's neither a boy or a girl, but that he's an angel - doesn't that contradict them referring to Kohaku as a female :P

Hikaruchan
04-14-2003, 09:18 PM
It would be the same contradiction saying that Kohaku is male. Same as Ashura, same as Ruby Moon, etc. Call them female - okay, call them male - okay, call them neuter - okay. So anyone saying the character is female is as correct as the ones calling them male. As Ruby Moon in CCS said when asked why wearing a girl instead of a boy outfit - same difference. They are neither or both. That is why I use the pronoun I think fits the best with each character (instead of the generic male pronoun that is used in japanese that leads people to insist gender neutral characters are male). Ruby Moon and Kohaku are definitely shes to me, Yue is a he to me, Ashura is mostly a she to me.

lupineloli
04-15-2003, 01:36 AM
The WISH manga is awesome - even with the few plot holes it had. What can you do, though? It's cuteness makes up for it.

Blah - I've always seen them as males. The translation was flawless save for that. I plan to buy all 4 books someday and just white-out all of the S's when they say "she" and the R's in "her"

TeeHee ^-^

This isn't b/c I am like this yaoi elitist, it just makes more sense in my mind for them to be boys - considering Kohaku dresses in more masculine clothes when a human, looks like a young boy more than a girl - and the fact that CLAMP are avid yaoi drool fests with a streak for having homoerotic tones in most of their works.

But that's just me ~ and I like that we can "choose our own adventure" LOL

Hikaruchan
04-15-2003, 10:09 AM
If you see them more as male that is fine with me, long as accepting of other people who may see the character as more female. Its just a pet peeve of mine when yaoi fans insist that other fans who see them as female are wrong.

avagoyle
04-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
It would be the same contradiction saying that Kohaku is male. Same as Ashura, same as Ruby Moon, etc. Call them female - okay, call them male - okay, call them neuter - okay. So anyone saying the character is female is as correct as the ones calling them male. As Ruby Moon in CCS said when asked why wearing a girl instead of a boy outfit - same difference. They are neither or both. That is why I use the pronoun I think fits the best with each character (instead of the generic male pronoun that is used in japanese that leads people to insist gender neutral characters are male). Ruby Moon and Kohaku are definitely shes to me, Yue is a he to me, Ashura is mostly a she to me.

I wouldn't mind if they had a little note explaining the gender confusion and all that stuff somewhere in the manga. But I looked through it and I didn't see anything. Therefore, when someone picks it up, they will come to the impression that Kohaku is completely 100% female.

But Kohaku has no chest what-so-ever which makes "her" a prepubescent female.

Can you see why I have such a problem with it? It just seriously squicks me out when I see "she" by it without any sort of explanation.

I was also mad about Hisui, because I don't think he looks girly at all!

avagoyle
04-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by lupineloli
This isn't b/c I am like this yaoi elitist, it just makes more sense in my mind for them to be boys - considering Kohaku dresses in more masculine clothes when a human, looks like a young boy more than a girl - and the fact that CLAMP are avid yaoi drool fests with a streak for having homoerotic tones in most of their works.

The main factor for me was the pedophilia the manga becomes when Kohaku is considered female. But also, Hisui's open shirt and his flat chest and his general design and drawing were more masculine than feminine. Kohaku I can understand, but Hisui, no. The shots where Kohaku is nude also are more masculine than feminine.

I just wish they would have put a little note or something. ^^;;;

A J
04-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Actually in one of the books, they do put in an explanation about how the angels are genderless but for simplicity's sake they're referring to them all as females. I forget exactly where but I remember reading it. ^^

I should go tonight and look again.

-AJ

avagoyle
04-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by A J
Actually in one of the books, they do put in an explanation about how the angels are genderless but for simplicity's sake they're referring to them all as females. I forget exactly where but I remember reading it. ^^

I should go tonight and look again.

-AJ

Oooooh really? I looked through it and couldn't find it. If it is, then I'm all cool with it. :D I'm still buying the Japanese one though, I need to practice my Japanese and some of the translations seemed a bit off.

mochan42
04-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Ah! Wish is cuuuuuute! Took a while for them to translate it, but I thought there were only 3 books? Or is that just the english version? I think one of the cats (their names slip my mind for the moment...) would be a really neat costume!! Hm..sounds like a mission! ^^
I never did the explanation of the gender thing...but do they actually make genders for the angels in the japanese version?

Hikaruchan
04-15-2003, 06:08 PM
In japanese they are just given default pronoun, which is he. They are genderless though, so if wanted to use the correct pronoun would be it - which doesn't sound nice. (i.e. It walked to the window versus He walked to the window)

- Using it as a pronoun makes me think of fixed animals. They aren't called its, but that might be the correct term instead of he/she

lupineloli
04-15-2003, 06:20 PM
quote: "If you see them more as male that is fine with me, long as accepting of other people who may see the character as more female."

and now I quote myself: "and I like that we can "choose our own adventure"

XD

Whee! Choose Our Own Adventure!
...now I wanna read some of those books...LOL

rei_hino
04-15-2003, 07:55 PM
I have wish number 1. Ive read one and two but it doesnt really seem to be in the top five for me. That guy in it i forget his name. . his eyebrows are always mean looking, never smiles and that disturbs me. . .-_-

avagoyle
04-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by mochan42
I never did the explanation of the gender thing...but do they actually make genders for the angels in the japanese version?

They used male pronouns. I just found this out and I think that they should have kept the male pronouns for the english manga.

My friend typed up the Japanese for me.

In book 2 Shuichiro's dad Shinichiro shows up. He says "何か用が_るんじゃないのか娘さん." Which means like "Don't you have things to do little lady?" He uses the word "娘" which is "musume" and it means "daughter."

Kohaku says "え... 娘さんじゃないんですが..." which means "eh... I'm not a little lady...".

Shinichiro says "おお こんなかわいらしい男の子がおるんじゃのう" which means "oh! I didn't know there were boys this cute!" He uses the words "男の子" which are "otoko no ko" and mean "boy."

Kohaku replies "いえ 男の子というわけでも..." which means "no, I'm called a boy but..."

Shinichiro goes "娘さんでも男の子でもない?" which is "neither a girl nor a boy?"

Kohaku answers "_の 天使ですから" which means "ano... because I'm an angel." implying that he's officially neither.

So, there you have it. Please forgive the translations. ^^

mochan42
04-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Ah ha, that would explain it. I always wondered where their breasts were. ^^;;

Chas
04-16-2003, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I don't mind them calling Kohaku-tachi girls in the english translation,(I agree, Kohaku & Hisui definently bish-looking. Not full fledged girly. Especially some of the expressions they make. Very boyish.) for obvious reasons... but being a yaoi-fan myself and farmlilar with CLAMP's tendencies in their writing... I dunno. As you, Hikaruchan dislike people insisting they're boys, I dislike people (Not you. ^_~) insisting they're girls. It's a no-win arguement, isn't it? How silly. :x

Kekeke~ They call Kohaku a 'she' when the default is 'he'. That's just kind of annoying. Not enough to make me mad... but when Kohaku wears street clothes, they're all MEN'S clothing, you know? X3

....Just an amusing thought. ^_~

mochan42
04-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Yes yes, it is stilly that they change genders. I really don't see why they need to protect us. We see it EVERYDAY in the real world. You know, same sex couples, I really don't see what the big deal is.

Yukai
07-18-2003, 11:25 PM
After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that I HAVE to go out and buy the Japanese version of the manga to see how much they tainted the translations in the rest of it. I know better then to get the English versions of manga...yet I still do it...it's my bad habit.

mochan42
07-19-2003, 12:56 PM
The english is good, cause you can read it, but yeah, the Japanese version will always be better.

Shinkokami
07-19-2003, 04:11 PM
I have the exact same problem as you Yukai. I should (and want to) go buy the japanese versions but my feeling of saftey with TokyoPop kills me. X_X Though TokyoPop's translations aren't as bad as some other companies... they don't generally change the japanese names *coughMixxcough* >.<

Yukai
07-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Shinkokami
I have the exact same problem as you Yukai. I should (and want to) go buy the japanese versions but my feeling of saftey with TokyoPop kills me. X_X Though TokyoPop's translations aren't as bad as some other companies... they don't generally change the japanese names *coughMixxcough* >.<

I know better than to buy any english manga, though I do agree with you on the TokyoPop. They try to stay somewhat true to the original. I guess it is just a matter of preferance. BTW I am going to buy the Japanese Wish now. I have to. *~sighs~* I'm a manga junkie.

Shinkokami
07-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Well, yes, I definately know better it's just a matter of the fact that I'm too lazy to find a good place to buy the actual japanese. And the fact that you have to then go and find the actual text translations on the internet.

chai_fiend
07-21-2003, 12:20 PM
i'v read it! its so cute! but i didn't like tokyopop's choice of genders for the angels. yeah they were genderlerss, but how about some shonen ai content??? anyone? and who bought kohaku as a girl to begin w/?

Shinkokami
07-21-2003, 01:57 PM
TokyoPop actually did acknowledge the fact that both devils and angels are genderless in the first book but also noted that they would be calling angels by 'she' and devils by 'he'. It doesn't seem as though they're trying to avoid homo-sexuality because it comes up many times in the manga even with the devil, angel, 'he', 'she' problem. (Koryu + Kokuyo, Ruri + Hari, Hari/Ruri + Koryu, Ryuki + Hisui, Touki + Ransho, etc.) So I'm not really sure why they did that ^^;

Baka Neko
07-22-2003, 12:17 AM
I love Wish to death! ^^ I have 1-4 but I want the artbook. I'll probably cosplay Kouryuu within the next year or so =P He/It rocks my socks ^^

I always saw Kohaku as a girl even though I know the angels & demons are genderless XP Probably because on my CD that came with the Wish music video clip, Kohaku voice was done by a woman... But yes, translations can be a problem thus I just go straight for the original japanese ones =D

Karasu
07-23-2003, 02:11 AM
I don't have an actual Wish artbook, but I have CLAMP "Southside" which has Wish pictures in it. I also found a Wish pencil board at AX03! I win!

A J
07-23-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Baka Neko
I love Wish to death! ^^ I have 1-4 but I want the artbook. I'll probably cosplay Kouryuu within the next year or so =P He/It rocks my socks ^^

I always saw Kohaku as a girl even though I know the angels & demons are genderless XP Probably because on my CD that came with the Wish music video clip, Kohaku voice was done by a woman... But yes, translations can be a problem thus I just go straight for the original japanese ones =D

BakaNeko, there's a music video?! Would you know where to find it by any chance?

I found the Wish artbook at AX which made me really happy. I've seen em on Ebay too. Of course the artbook was discovered AFTER we'd done the costumes already.

I was one of the 4 Wish angel masters at AX. ^^ We know they're genderless or neuter but couldn't bind for this costume because we had to wear a corset to support those gargantuan wings. Given the choice of being genderless or having big big fluffly wings... we went with the wings. ^^

-AJ

Baka Neko
07-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Yea, its a five minute music video. It uses that one song Wish by Ali Project. It's really short & sweet, then the ending credits sequence is just too cute. It features Hari & Ruri causing mischief & Chibi Kouryuu torturing Chibi Kohaku =P It came with a booklet w/lyrics, interviews, sketches, & storyboards for the animation. Along with one of those 3inch CDs with the OP & ED themes, two other Wish songs & a message from Kohaku.

A couple years ago I saw it on eBay, but it only shows up like every once in a blue moon.. I was lucky enough to stumble upon it at Fanime 2001 in the dealers' room @ the Doki Doki Station booth. So my best bet would be to ask doki doki if they have it, check out ebay often (just in case) or, for extreme measures, you could go to www.clamp-net.com get the info on the item under Works (I forget exactly where it is.. so just click on things titled Wish in that section) This item was pricey XP a whopping $60, but I'm a CLAMP nut so price doesn't matter to me =P

btw I LOVED your guys' costumes! ^^

The pic is a bunch of various scenes from the Wish music video...

Hikaruchan
07-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Here are 2 cel galleries that have wish cels from the intro amv

http://rallihir.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=6726
http://animejewell.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=5857

chai_fiend
07-24-2003, 08:07 AM
now i have realized my true mission in life: track down the wish music video. but i think it'd be nice if they turned into an anime. its such a sweet simple story so it couldn't be too altered unless someone was just stupid. there's something about watching kohaku and those bunnies roam around that really appeals to me...

Hikaruchan
07-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Well, I think that was where the AMV came from. They pitched Wish as an anime and it didn't fly. The AMV is actually what would have been the shows opening, eyecatch and ending. I have file of the opening and eyecatch, but not the ending with the cats. I have seen that, though, as a guy in club had all 3 parts.

chai_fiend
07-26-2003, 10:27 AM
how could someone say no to Wish animated. who needs to be hunted down and gutted??? :mad:

X Kamui
07-30-2003, 09:53 PM
How is wish? Whats it about, ive seen it at the local manga retailer, but i never got a chance to get into it, im a clamp fan so id realy like to know if its good.

chai_fiend
07-31-2003, 09:39 AM
Wish is really cute and simple. an angel is found in a tree and wants to thank they guy that rescued him, but the guy doesn't need anything so the angel sticks around because surely he must need something. by the by they fall in love. meanwhile the whole reason why angel was on earth was too find this master angel, but master angel has shacked up with the devil's son. devil's son has cousin who likes teasing angel (not the master one) and cousin and angel are really cute SD.

okay that was a bad summary. no names? what am i thinking?anyway, i highly recommend it. ifyou like simple love stories and mushy stuff.

by the way, so hisui and devil's son (can't spell his name) had sex right? i'm curious to know what did that entail...

Hikaruchan
07-31-2003, 10:04 AM
Since the angels and devils are sexless, that is an interesting question

mochan42
07-31-2003, 12:56 PM
o.O wow...what a question to keep me busy for quite some time....wonder if there's a way to get ahold of CLAMP and ask them...>D

Dragon Sama
07-31-2003, 11:41 PM
I was dissapointed that it ended so quickly, the series was so cute!

-Dragon Sama-

Nikitsuki
08-04-2003, 12:21 PM
I love wish but I thought the ending was a bit of a let-down. I mean, NO KISS?! WHAT?! That kinda made me upset... I also didn't like how they didn't lengthen the part with new Shuichiro and Kohaku in volume 4 but otherwise, I thought it was REALLY good. I just thought volume 4 was a major let-down.

Karasu
08-10-2003, 02:58 AM
By: Nikitsuki
I just thought volume 4 was a major let-down.

I think they got bored and pooped out the ending. Yes, yes.