PDA

View Full Version : Original Character Cosplay

Sieneko
03-28-2006, 02:58 AM
Well, I've got this original character that I'm having a hard time picking out fabrics for. I've got the picture reference in the attachment.

I'm looking for a formal or semi-formal look to this costume, but I need the fabric to be lightweight. I've ruled out satin (too shiny) and cotton (too casual). I'm not sure on silk, but that might be a good idea if it's fairly okay to work with. Anyone else have suggestions? I think I'll just do boot covers instead of actual boots if that helps.

Thanks guys! I'm really wracking my brain over this! :eek:

Kat Murz
03-28-2006, 09:48 AM
ohhh pretty ^__^ I would suggest bridal dress/ prom dress fabric section. Very nice stuff, not to shiny but formal because its formal dress fabric and good quality. good luck! Can't wait to see it.

VampireKitten
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh wow, that is pretty! I would love to see/know how you plan on doing the ears and tails.

I did a "sort of" original character, she's a "Snow Elf" of sorts... she is rather modern/oldfashioned era mixed and I was thinking of refining her a bit more. Anyway, check it out: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=35883&member=41590

Sieneko
03-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys! I totally forgot about the prom dress materials, those just might work very nicely. I plan on making the tails much smaller just so my butt's not weighted down to the floor with all of them. ^_^;;; As for the ears, I was advised to sew them onto a headband through the wig. We'll see how this turns out!

VampireKitten, I love that cloak! You did the ears really well too, I love it. ^_^

Thanks again!

Seraphine
03-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Peau de Soie is a silky type fabric with a really nice weight to it which I would suggest for your costume. It can be expensive but if you look around you might get some deals. It's got a slight shine to it and drapes beautifully. Alot of people use it for wedding dresses.

Eclipseofsorrow
03-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Nice picture =D For the tails, you should try Wonderflex as a sort of 'boning'. Just heat it up a bit, bend it and it should hold the tails in their spots. (Tails being made over it of course.) It's incredibly easy to work with. You might need to double the layers of wonderflex though if you want them to not sway or be weighted down.

www.cosworx.com

penny_dreadful
04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Beautiful picture, Sieneko. Just thought I'd say that.

Foxes rule.

--Penny

Sieneko
04-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Nice picture =D For the tails, you should try Wonderflex as a sort of 'boning'. Just heat it up a bit, bend it and it should hold the tails in their spots. (Tails being made over it of course.) It's incredibly easy to work with. You might need to double the layers of wonderflex though if you want them to not sway or be weighted down.

www.cosworx.com
What a great idea, I had not thought about that before! Thanks, I'll definitely look into doing that. I saw a gal at Sakura Con who actually filled her Shippou tail with a balloon to make it poof, too bad I can't do the same for these.

Penney- Thank you! Foxes do rock. ^_^ I should really finish the picture one of these days. :P

siead_lietrathu
05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
if you do want to do the tails, i reccomend using teddy bear fabric. hella expensive but it feels soft and lasts longer.
harnasses can be built to make wearing a tail less trouble some too.