PDA

View Full Version : Room, Rides, Groups - Conventions - 2007

Vessa-Sushi
03-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey there! Since I didn't feel like posting in every convention thread that I wanted to attend next year, and that I am aiming this towards Canadians, I decided to make one GIANT post here, and see how it goes.

Attention Con-goers and Cosplayers!

I am seeking out those who are (or are wanting to) travel to many anime conventions in the year 2007.
Why am I posting this now? Because these things take time to plan, and money to plan with, and people to contact, etc etc. Figure it is better to start now, then to cry later about not starting it in time to get things rolling.

For me, there are several conventions I wish to attend next year.

Anime North 2007 (Toronto, most likely same dates as this year)
CNanime 2007 (Toronto, most likely end of August)
Otakon 2007 (Baltimor, USA.)

There is more, but currently I can't remember them.

So, if you are interested (not just those mentioned above, but any convention anywhere) in this little scheme, and are looking for room buddies, ride buddies, or people to group up with for registration and stuff for conventions in 2007, I guess here is the place to send out a general call for that.

~Vessa

P.S - I hope this all makes sense. I just got tired of not being able to attend cons because of shortage of money (because I'd have to go by myself, and pay for a whole lot when it costs less to go with a group), and lack of transportation. I know there are people out there who feel the same, so I hope this helps you some :)

Vessa-Sushi
03-30-2006, 01:37 PM
And here, I'll be keeping track of people and places and such for all to see :)

Anime North 2007
VickyBunnyAngel - Roomies

CNAnime 2007
Vessa-Sushi - Group

Otakon 2007
Vessa-Sushi - Group, Ride
Amy the Yu - Ride

Acen 2007
Amy the Yu - Ride

Katsucon 2007
Amy the Yu - Ride

Ohayocon(http://www.ohayocon.com/)

~Vessa

Vicky
03-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm hoping to attend Otakon 2007, but I don't think I'll be needing any buddies for anything but I do hope to see you there!

VickyBunnyAngel
03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
I would be interested in rooming for Anime North 2007. I have difficulty in finding people for that. But for CN, I'll be commuting from Scarborough

TiyenaKayla
03-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Rooming for an07 would br great but... my baby would be only 22 months and iI don't think anyone wants to share with a baby, as for cn07 I will be commuting from Oshawa.

Terensu
03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Is TCC that far from Scarborough? I'm probably gonna try and get my friend to come with me to AN so I can hitch a ride... Hehehehe.

Wing_Goddess
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
I want to go to Yaoi con and Otakon in 2007 ^__^ not sure how or who i'll go with. I still have time to think about it. Since AN is in May and i graduate high school this June, after that i'll have loads more free time ^.^

Kawaii Akina
03-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I wanna try to go to Otakon 2007. But I need to start saving money for that, that's for sure. ^^'

Seed-chan
03-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Is TCC that far from Scarborough? I'm probably gonna try and get my friend to come with me to AN so I can hitch a ride... Hehehehe.
Well, the TCC is in one end of the city (Etobicoke), while Scarbrough is the other. It's not too bad if you're driving... but if you're taking the TTC, that's a good two to three hour trip right there @_@;;

VickyBunnyAngel
04-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Well, the TCC is in one end of the city (Etobicoke), while Scarbrough is the other. It's not too bad if you're driving... but if you're taking the TTC, that's a good two to three hour trip right there @_@;;

YEs, I totally agree. The ttc takes FOREVER from scarborough, but it's not so bad if you plan to leave early from scarborough to get there on time. I guess the main benefit of staying over, is not having to commute for two/three days, and you have somewhere to crash if you're tired. I hated having to carry everything around with me, and then putting it all down for a picture (not saying the photographers were a hassle..all the parcels were:P). You can also attend the later night events without worrying that the ttc is going to stop running and you're stranded XD

Eleryth
04-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I imagine I'll be going to cons in 2007 (Ad Astra, Costume-Con, Anime North, Toronto Trek, and maybe FanExpo), but I don't think I'll have any trouble finding roomies or rides. Good idea, though!

Amy the Yu
04-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Well, the TCC is in one end of the city (Etobicoke), while Scarbrough is the other. It's not too bad if you're driving... but if you're taking the TTC, that's a good two to three hour trip right there @_@;;But we can mooch rides. XD *had plans to get her G2 fall thru for the 4th summer in a row*

I'm going to Ohayocon for sure next year (Seed-chan's being hauled along with the rest of the gang cause she'll finally be 18).

I wanna keep attending Katsucon, but only if a friend wants to make the long trip down with me, possibly ACen if this year turns out decent and I'm not sure about Otakon. I'm skipping out on Otakon this year with no regrets, next year will probably depend on which of my friends (American and Canadian ones) will be going there.

Will probably be flying out to AX and/or Yaoi-Con in 2007. AX I'm skipping out on this year in favour of having a shot at attending Summer Comiket in Japan, and Yaoi-Con I had long ago decided was going to be a graduation present for myself when I finish my undergrads (which ends exactly one year from now). XD

If not many of my friends want to go along to the cons with me, I'll potentially be looking for roommates and rides for Katsucon, ACen and Otakon. The hotel rooms I can book and probably half or mostly fill. Mostly it's the rides part I'll need cause they're all a bit too far for me to take a bus/train down to comfortably and unless we book far ahead, I'm just plain too cheap to fly down for an east coast con. ^^;;

shiro_hikaru
04-05-2006, 07:07 AM
I wanna keep attending Katsucon, but only if a friend wants to make the long trip down with me, possibly ACen if this year turns out decent and I'm not sure about Otakon. I'm skipping out on Otakon this year with no regrets, next year will probably depend on which of my friends (American and Canadian ones) will be going there.

You know for damn hell I'm more then happy to join you in venturing to Katsu next year, hey who knows maybe I can possibly bum the car from my parents and we can drive down and avoid certain things.

I wish I could go with you to Yaoi-con 07, but sooooo expensive..... T_T
The problem I have with ACen is that it's soo close to AN and by May, I'm likely to be out of funds, (damn school!)

Vessa-Sushi
04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Amy the Yu - So...you want me to put you down for rides for ACen, Katsucon, and Otakon for 2007?

I'd die to go to Yaoi-con.....but I know already none of my regular con groupies will go to it. Think I can bum along with you people if I decide to go? ^^

~Vessa

Ack! I'd so go to Katsucon. I was thinking the washington that is across the other way ^^ And Feb is my fav month. Tis my birthday month :P

~Vessa

Amy the Yu
04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
You know for damn hell I'm more then happy to join you in venturing to Katsu next year, hey who knows maybe I can possibly bum the car from my parents and we can drive down and avoid certain things.

I wish I could go with you to Yaoi-con 07, but sooooo expensive..... T_T
The problem I have with ACen is that it's soo close to AN and by May, I'm likely to be out of funds, (damn school!)Sweet. I'm shoving Katsu on my 07 con list. You can't back out now. If we can't fill out own room, I can find us rooms with some of my friends if it's just the 2 of us. XD

And Yaoi-con's not THAT bad...not if we save up for a year for it. You should come with me. I only know like 3 people who go to that. DX

I don't even know if I'll want to go back to ACen next year yet. Gotta check it out first (WOOO ACen in a month! and we only just booked our flight down yesterday XD ). If it's really worth it, I might go again next year, but we'll see since I don't have any current history with it unlike Otakon, Ohayocon and Katsu (and a shitload of smaller American cons). If I go and none of the others want to, I'm dragging you with me...cause it's not THAT expensive...plus we're on summer already, so you can't complain about having school. >_>

Amy the Yu - So...you want me to put you down for rides for ACen, Katsucon, and Otakon for 2007?

I'd die to go to Yaoi-con.....but I know already none of my regular con groupies will go to it. Think I can bum along with you people if I decide to go? ^^Yeah, I guess put me down for rides for those.

Problem with most people for Yaoi-con is that it's always after the school year starts, plus there's the age limit thing, but that's the main reason I haven't gone yet. I'll probably stay/split a hotel room with a long time friend of mine that lives in Washington (state), but I'd love company for the journey there and back. ^^
Ack! I'd so go to Katsucon. I was thinking the washington that is across the other way ^^ And Feb is my fav month. Tis my birthday month :PKatsu changes location just about every year. It was in Crystal City, Virginia last year, Washington this year and who knows where next year. People always have something to bitch about it for, but it's still one of my favourite cons. I somehow always have happy memories of it that make me feel all warm and squishy on the inside...like my organs liquified themselves for a minute.

Kaijugal
04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I imagine I'll be going to cons in 2007 (Ad Astra, Costume-Con, Anime North, Toronto Trek, and maybe FanExpo), but I don't think I'll have any trouble finding roomies or rides. Good idea, though!

As you know, many of us are hoping to make Costume con. ^_^;

Chibik3r0
04-05-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't need a ride or unfortunately have one to offer or anything but just some personal opinions on conventions for those who plan to travel to the States.

Note: PERSONAL OPINIONS. This is just what I've observed in my past few years of conventioning and whatnot.

Otakon (Baltimore, MD) - I've attended Otakon from 2002 - 2005. The point it's at now, it's ridiculous. It's almost TOO big, and I think the attendance cap is good proof of that. For this coming year, a large portion of the hotels were sold out before January, ticket prices are huge ($60 US), and it's a 10 hour drive on a good day. I tend to go to cons more for the social aspect now more than anything else... I met a lot of people at Otakon but it was a lot of "OMG HEY!" and then someone had to run off. Granted, the best thing Otakon has going is the dealer's room. It's absolutely MASSIVE. It's easy to find that rare item you may be looking for but at the same time, it's always crazy busy. I think I'm going to pass on Otakon this year and save up for closer, more fun conventions like Ohayocon, ACEN, and Youmacon.

Ohayocon (Columbus, Ohio)- Easily my favoritest con, having gone in 2005 and 2006. It's a nice size (4500), first weekend in January (avoids school and the likes of exams), two hotels (Drury Inn and Hyatt) attached to the convention center with a massive foodcourt (you can stay inside for 3 whole days and enjoy the con), and just a hell of a lot of fun. It's about 8 hours and in the middle of Ohio. The biggest problem Ohayocon has is the weather. It's a volatile time of year for freak snowstorms so one bad system could ruin everything. Last year, we hit bad snow on the way there AND back along the lakes... This year the weather was awesome. It's definitely the most fun I ever have at conventions. This year, 8 of us GTA folk made the trip down and are planning an even bigger trip next year :D

Youmacon (Troy, MD) - First weekend in November just outside of Detroit, MI in a suburb called Troy (one of the 10 safest cities in the US if Detroit scares anyone away). This past year was it's first year and got attendance over 1,000. It's only about 3 and a half hours from Toronto so that's about as close as you can get outside of Ontario. Food was always a trip away from the hotel though :\ For a first year con, it was well run, organized, and just a hell of a lot of fun. Another haul of us GTA folk are planning a trip down again.

Tekkoshocon (Pittsburgh, PA) - Just had this this past weekend. I wasn't impressed. Socially, beyond awesome... Otherwise, nothing special and probably won't go back.

Just my $0.02.

Vessa-Sushi
04-06-2006, 12:25 AM
You know, you are the second person to mention that Otakon has gotten too big for it's britches. Makes me wonder....

Thanks for the opinions though! That really does help, quite honestly :) I plan to go to Youmacon, only because it is half hours drive from my place (if we don't get stuck in the tunnel traffic for another half hour). Yup..I live right across from good ol' smelly Detroit..don't get me wrong, Windsor is just as smelly..heck, when I got out my car tonight, all I could smell was the awesome sewer at the end of my drive.

Anywho....Ohayocon eh? I think I might have to look into that...being so close to the states, it is worth my time and effort to look into cons that are just a few states below me. ^.^

~Vessa

heki-chan
04-06-2006, 04:45 AM
All i know is, I totally NEED to hit up Ohayocon 2007, if only for the yummy yummy free breakfast and the good lasagna in the food court >_>;

i like food.

Katsu is KICK.ASS. too =D

Amy the Yu
04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
All i know is, I totally NEED to hit up Ohayocon 2007, if only for the yummy yummy free breakfast and the good lasagna in the food court >_>;

i like food.

Katsu is KICK.ASS. too =DAnd next year you'll be old enough to take advantage of their free nightly cocktails, too. XD

Seed-chan
04-06-2006, 04:41 PM
But we can mooch rides. XD *had plans to get her G2 fall thru for the 4th summer in a row*

I'm going to Ohayocon for sure next year (Seed-chan's being hauled along with the rest of the gang cause she'll finally be 18).

Mooching rides only works if you know people to mooch rides off of (and at cons like AN, most people stay at the hotel which doesn't help). At least riding on the TTC to downtown Hobbystar cons aren't so bad though...

Yeah, my 2007 plans are essentially:
Ohayocon (I LOVE YOU GUYS. :heart: Even if you have to "kidnap" me to get me down there XD)
Anime North
CNExpo (Or Fan Expo or whatever it's called now)

PLus a smattering of whatever i can afford or what people wants to drag me to. It's too far away to know for sure...

Natty Dread
04-06-2006, 07:57 PM
this is definatly interesting....but i rarly start planning for next year until the last con of this year is over....but, i will keep this in mind.

Vessa-Sushi
05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I have to start planning now..only so I have the cash to go to these things x.x As it is, two of the three cons I'm going to this year are sitting on the edge of 'no money' land x.x AN isn't one of them (so far), but unless I start saving now for AWA and Youmacon..I might be in some trouble. Especially for AWA....that one is sucking up the bling bling mighty hard x.x

~Vessa

P.S - Speaking of AWA...We have (potentially) space for 2 more people in our car. The car will be traveling I believe from the Toronto area, down through London, Windsor, etc. We also have space in our room too (potentially), just know that it is a King bed only, as nothing else was available. Oh..our dates are the Thursday for leaving for AWA, and Monday for returning. And potentially, I mean that we have asked our close friends if they wanted to go, but all have so far said "dunno about school yet..but prolly not".

maxy_maxwell
05-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Mostly just Anime North again (though I have wanted to visit Baltimore for awhile now) unless I can sleep in Vessa's car (if she has one of course lol) then I'd go to anyone that she does...............No I'm not her stalker! :angel: (hides anyways)

What's/when's AWA again? Sounds tempting.