PDA

View Full Version : youmacon

ssgtdude
03-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Anyone heard of this convention being held in Troy? Been to it last year, or know if it is even worth the time and effort to register in advance?

http://www.youmacon.com/

vannadear
03-31-2006, 07:16 PM
I went last year, it was muchly fun! It was their first year so some upsets are expected

Tomberry
04-01-2006, 01:52 AM
Hee. I helped run it ^_^ It's a lot of fun from what I was able to visit.

shinji_hiroshi
04-01-2006, 03:34 AM
I went last year, it's well worth it to pre-reg. I had a great time, but it would have been better if my one friend didn't invite this one girl to our mini group.(had a spilting headake by the end of the day)

A lot of us are sort of hopeing Vic who does Edward Elric's voice will return. I hope he does.

Anyone heard of this convention being held in Troy? Been to it last year, or know if it is even worth the time and effort to register in advance?

http://www.youmacon.com/

Random Karen
04-01-2006, 03:47 AM
A lot of us are sort of hopeing Vic who does Edward Elric's voice will return. I hope he does.

Vic has stated that he had a wonderful time at Youmacon and would love to come back. Caitlin has also said this. I would love it if they could as it was a lot of fun hanging out with them, especially in the less crowded setting that this convention offers. They didn't get mobbed as much. :) (I hope they can come to Jafax in June, as they expressed an interest, but that event is REALLY small) I'm not sure I'll be in the area when November rolls around, but if I am I will probably go. I can't say it was full of exciting things to do, or had a big dealers room (which it didn't), but if you like just hanging out and being laid back, it's really nice.

shinji_hiroshi
04-01-2006, 03:53 AM
lol Good! I want to see the movie again he was in, I rather enjoyed it. I do have to agree with you about the over crowed bit.
I just hope if I get a hotel room with my group(still need to get one or two more females to room with) that we don't get stuck next to a group of wild animals.
I like to stay up, but if I'm taking my red kimono to wear and have to apply face paint for an hour and other stuff I'll want some sleep.

Vic has stated that he had a wonderful time at Youmacon and would love to come back. Caitlin has also said this. I would love it if they could as it was a lot of fun hanging out with them, especially in the less crowded setting that this convention offers. They didn't get mobbed as much. :) (I hope they can come to Jafax in June, as they expressed an interest, but that event is REALLY small) I'm not sure I'll be in the area when November rolls around, but if I am I will probably go. I can't say it was full of exciting things to do, or had a big dealers room (which it didn't), but if you like just hanging out and being laid back, it's really nice.

ngsilver
04-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Shall I just say that I like many of us helped to run Youmacon last year. It was quite fun for what I got to see, which unfortunatly wasn't much other then the AMV stuff I ran ^^()

Countess Lenore
04-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Just a general observation, but does anyone else find it a bit strange that the last day of Youmacon this year happens to fall on Guy Fawkes Day^^

mgperkow
04-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Hmm... Not sure I understand the implication, Countess...

Countess Lenore
04-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Guy Fawkes Day (also known as Bonfire Night) is when everyone in Great Britian has huge bonfires to remember the day when Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the parliment and kill the king. I don't know, for some strange reason I just found that ironic^^

SheikahPrincess
04-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Wow...that is somewhat strange. LOL! XD Maybe we can have our own reenactment of that day and pretend to take ocer youmacon in a non-violent way...^_^6 JK

mgperkow
04-03-2006, 11:16 AM
LOL... A bunch of people tried to take over Youmacon last year. But the same people are still running it, so long live the establishment, eh? ;-)

Medieval
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Family and I went to Youmacon as well. We really enjoyed ourselves.

We plan to attend again this year.

ZioHazard
04-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Morgan since I cannot remember your member name here is my post so that 'you' can pm me. since I can nvr remember peoples names on forums.

Tomberry
04-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Ah yes, Guy Fawkes...I recall that name ^_^ I believe V for Vendetta is inspired by him.

tohru_tohru
04-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Ah yes, Guy Fawkes...I recall that name ^_^ I believe V for Vendetta is inspired by him.
Yep, and the mask he uses is inspired by the Guy Fawkes mask. I like that one better than the originals, which kind of look creepy:
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=fawkes+mask+-vendetta

SheikahPrincess
04-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Wow...those are pretty creepy...*sweatdrop*

Lady Aoi
04-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I went to its first convention last year and it was great. A nice small con with lots of friendly people. They had great guests and musical talent for a small first time con. Well done Youmacon staff! My boyfriend and I plan on going again this year!

Meng Xiaojie
05-01-2006, 02:32 AM
So went last year. It rocked mightily! We're doing Youma again this year, for sure!

trekkieb47
05-01-2006, 06:48 PM
The Power Rangers were awesome as guests. I hope Youmacon gets more Ranger guests. Especially since the Excutive producer, Bruce Kalish is so willing to go to them and bring some rangers along.

Berry

bar1scorpio
05-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Tony Oliver count? He was one of the original producers on the first series. As well as the voice of Rick Hunter in Robotech.

trekkieb47
05-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Yah.. but what about the current producer? Who said he'd love to come back...or actual ranger actors like last year. It was very fun meeting and talking with them.

Berry

bar1scorpio
05-02-2006, 09:08 PM
From what I understand, staff just aren't intersted in this year's ranger team. Although next year's bots look better.

Besides which, keep checking the site. I beleive they're about to update the guest list with some really interesting people.

trekkieb47
05-03-2006, 02:45 AM
From what I understand, staff just aren't intersted in this year's ranger team. Although next year's bots look better.

Well... I know quite a few congoers who think otherwise. This year's team is great.. and if Bruce wants to come again.. why can't he bring the new actors? Or maybe other SPD guests that didn't come last year due to time conflicts?

Berry

ngsilver
05-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Suffice to say, we (youmacon staff) are looking into all possibilities for guests. We are looking into guests from last year, but we also know that we need to bring in new guests as well, so some guests we just can't have back again, despite wanting to, because we don't have an unlimited budget. We're looking into new talent, and old talent, from all over the industry.

It isn't an easy task to decide who to invite to a con. We are doing our best to give the attendees what they want while at the same time staying within reason and our budget.

You have to understand that we can't accomidate everyones requests, it's just not possible. And when you have every guest from the previous year wanting to come back again, telling other potential guests about their expierence who then turn arround and start requesting to come, we have a large list of potentials.

In the end, all we can say is we are doing our best. Keep a look out for the update.

And might I suggest that if you are wanting to request guests, please visit the youmacon forums or email the Guest Relations DH. While many of us are members of this forum, the best place to get the attention of staff is always the forums of the convention or via email.

hibekisensai
05-03-2006, 06:01 PM
i will post this on the youmacon site as well, but Kristine Sa was great...i think the eyshine / K-sa combo would have been HUGE if it had been Saturday night, giving the con-goers a chance to check out some of the tunes before hand through the cds, playing some of the music, etc. and kind of "spread the word"...anyway, i would pay $50 for a weekend youmacon pass this year if it helped secure some great guests, and i'm sure most con-goers would agree, i mean, you're aleady paying $40, so another 10 isn't make or break particularly considering the metro area (Troy) where the con is actually held....:)

trekkieb47
05-03-2006, 10:49 PM
And might I suggest that if you are wanting to request guests, please visit the youmacon forums or email the Guest Relations DH. While many of us are members of this forum, the best place to get the attention of staff is always the forums of the convention or via email.

I have at this link:

http://www.youmacon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I've signed up for Youmacon forums and have supported this convention ever since I heard about it last Acen. You are one of the VERY FEW conventions to have Power Ranger guests other than the couple that do other anime related stuff (Johnny Bosch), that's why I'm hoping you guys get more guests like that... because it's rare and unique and a lot of people appreciate that kind of thing.

Berry

KNIVES5991
05-22-2006, 04:45 PM
youmacon was cool for it's first year. anybodey going this year?

hibekisensai
05-22-2006, 06:01 PM
most definitely a yes. :bigtu:

ShinraSlave
05-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Yes, yes!! I am planning on going this year.

It will be my first year and since my husband is from Troy and it just so happens to fall right on our 6th Anniversery so it's just to perfect!! :toothy:

We are coming from Chicago but at least we will have babysitting from his parents when we go to the con. We are most likely going to stay at the hotel as well, because why not? Adds to it, doesn't it and that way I have the opition of staying up all night if I want!! :)

Maybe it's a little early to be excited but I don't care, it's going to be a blast!

bar1scorpio
05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Of course! And I'll be doing whatever possible or needed to help out on the art chores once more as well... there was such a great reaction to last year's badges.

SheikahPrincess
05-24-2006, 06:47 AM
I will be coming back as a sponsor since I'm not old enough to help. I really enjoyed Youmacon and I still have my badge from last year! I can't wait for it to come around again.

Uchihacest69
05-24-2006, 07:07 AM
lol i still have my badge too. i wish i could help out but i'm not old enough >.<

kira_elric
06-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I personally thought YoumaCon ROCKED last year and I am impatiently patiently awaiting this years. As for Vic, he also expressed to me that he would like to come back, and I have to be there for him. I'm assuming since "I loved Youmacon, and I hope to see you next year (YOU'D BETTER BE THERE!!!)" was written in one of the e-mails he sent me.

I hope to see everyone at Youmacon and Jafax! I'm glompable so if you see me, go ahead!

Love ya guys!
~kira~

(I'd love to help out with the con too if anyone wants me. I still have my badge as well (it's hanging up right next to me ^^;;;) Send me a message about the helping thing...I should start bugging people)

Magical_Sheep
06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
I plan to attend this year (my first year, since I had to work that weekend last year ._.) and I really hope that Vic and Caitlin come. Iunno, it just seems like a bigger version of JAFAX, but with an entry fee. ^_^; Not a bad thing, understand.

bar1scorpio
06-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Trust me, a whole different beast then Jafax... Wirh Jafax.. you get what you pay for.

Magical_Sheep
06-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Actually, I've yet to get disappointed with JAFAX. I've been going since 7 (11 being this year), and I like the feeling of an intimate, small con. The people (especially the staff, but I may be a wee bit biased) are great, and while they don't pull in huge names, everyone knows everyone else. I like that. Who knows, maybe Youmacon will change my mind, but I won't abandon or bad-mouth the first con I've been to. OH! And good to hear that someone at least is going to JAFAX, Kira. It almost seems like it doesn't get as much credit as it really does deserve *looks up at the previous post*

Uiizaru-hime
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I plan to try to make it to YoumaCon this year; it all depends on if I can find someone to share room cost with. with a bit of luck some fellow Great Lake State members of an online group I help mod will be able to set up plans so that them and I can all share room cost. I will be making it to JAFAX at the very least, but I hope to actually make it to YoumaCon as well, as I've never been to an honest to gods con you have to pay to attend before.

ngsilver
06-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Actually, I've yet to get disappointed with JAFAX. I've been going since 7 (11 being this year), and I like the feeling of an intimate, small con. The people (especially the staff, but I may be a wee bit biased) are great, and while they don't pull in huge names, everyone knows everyone else. I like that. Who knows, maybe Youmacon will change my mind, but I won't abandon or bad-mouth the first con I've been to. OH! And good to hear that someone at least is going to JAFAX, Kira. It almost seems like it doesn't get as much credit as it really does deserve *looks up at the previous post*
I've never been to Jafax, however I've known about it longer then I've known about ACEN and Sugoi-con (being the two cons I wanted to goto since I was in 10th grade), and as such this year will be the first year I will be able to attend. However, I wouldn't call Jafax a con, as it isn't a convention. Jafax itself doesn't lable themselves as a con, but this year as an Expo, and last year as an Event. There are differences between these three definitions, one of them being an entry fee, and the rest have been discussed elsewhere and I really don't feel like bogging this thread down with them.

Nit-picking aside, I hope to enjoy myself at Jafax, but like every con or event I attend, I wont know till I go. And I know Youma will be a blast, partly because I'm setting up TONS of fun AMV events ^^ so yeah, some bias there ^^ I just hope I wont be too dead after Reactor and Sugoi... considering all three cons are only a week apart ^^()

youjik33
06-08-2006, 09:41 PM
I couldn't make it to Youmacon last year but I really hope to be able to this year. It all depends on if I can afford it or if Otakon drains me too much, heh. I guess I'll find out.

SheikahPrincess
06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Ya have a good 3-4 months for recooperation between Otakon and Youmacon...^_^

WannaCosplay
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
would you say this is bigger or smaller than jafax? (the hotel it's in doesn't look very big)

shinji_hiroshi
06-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Personally I think it was a big con and good for a 1st time convention. As for room and such. I wish it could be bigger, but they convention staff hope to get a bigger area to use as time goes on.
That and I like the fact it's only a 46 minute to an hour drive for me from where I live.

Uiizaru-hime
06-26-2006, 03:07 PM
as much as I want to make it I'm gonna have to wait a month or two to see if I can afford it. since there were some really kickass goodie tables at JAFAX this year I spent a little more than I intended ^_^; if my hours at work don't get cut again I can make it, if they do I'm gonna have to miss it again.

ReiHari
07-06-2006, 11:42 AM
I live right in the area, so you bet I'll be going! I'm psyced, since it's my first con. I'll be going as a Pichu, so if you see a Pichu fursuit, stop by and say hai! I'm willing to meet new cosplay buddies! ^^ And I'll most likely make it a yearly thing If I like it.

WannaCosplay
07-07-2006, 12:51 PM
i think we might attend this...i dont feel like making more costumes though

Mogitha
07-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking about going, I mean, I really want to. I live in upper michigan, so it might be a bit of a drive. but i hope i can go! ^^V

Uiizaru-hime
07-07-2006, 05:57 PM
well, I can save up enough to afford to attend, but I can only make it for, at most, Friday and part of Saturday due to my health taking a slight down turn (the bad cold I cought at JAFAX got my fibromyalgia acting up a bit). but, wether I can go or not depends on if I can find someone to share room cost with on Friday night. if I can't, then no can go.

Reesu La
07-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm going to try to go as Blossum from Demashitaa Powerpuff Girls Z, but I'm super broke so I can't make any promises. -o-;;

ReiHari
07-07-2006, 10:44 PM
HEY MOGITHA I WAS GOING AS PLUSLE AND MINUN AT FIRST XXD Yeah, But my sister's not going, so I'm going as Pichu.

Reesu La
07-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I just changed my mind since I got a haircut about who I'm going to cos as for Youmacon.
I'm going to be Haruhi from Ouran Highschool Host Club.
OHHC group, anyone?

Random Karen
07-10-2006, 04:43 AM
I just changed my mind since I got a haircut about who I'm going to cos as for Youmacon.
I'm going to be Haruhi from Ouran Highschool Host Club.
OHHC group, anyone?
I do believe all my friends who you met, sorta, at Jafax (up in Artist Alley)...*ahem* Tamaki *ahem* will be going as the whole gang from Host Club. That is if they get their jackets made in time. But that's the plan. Haruhi (aka me) may or may not make it, as I'll be on the other side of the country by then.

Medieval
07-18-2006, 02:27 PM
The website for youmacon appears to be down, anyone have any idea whats going on?

SheikahPrincess
07-19-2006, 08:29 AM
updates? dunno...ya should check it this morning...

Uiizaru-hime
08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm still trying to find someone to share room costs with the first night, looks like I may not be making it.

Rho
08-03-2006, 01:45 AM
I really want to go to this, espically as it is so close (close in the terms of 'I have a car and don't have to walk/ride a bike/ride a horse') all I need now is a costume idea, I keep rakin my brain and coming up with nothing...

Uchihacest69
08-05-2006, 06:40 PM
anyone know anything about the masquerade? I have a group that we're doing a skit with but one of them wants to enter a different costume in the walk on part. is she allowed to do that? if shes not judged for the one during our skit?

MagiusT
08-10-2006, 04:08 AM
You can only enter 1 costume during the masquerade/have one entry in the masquerade. You'll get a more prompt answer if you ask on the youmacon forums though, as I don't check here as often.

vannadear
08-13-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm definetly going to Youmacon this year, I finally got my boyfriend to agree to cosplay. He want's Naruto -.-;; so our group of team 7 will add to the ever growing narutard epidemic.

As a side note: V for Vendetta is a kick ass movie, and Guy Fawkes Day is my Birthday XD

Cordelia LeFay
08-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I think I will be able to come. It's looks I'll be flying off to Vancouver on the 6th (maybe sooner). I really wanted to do an Amature Voice Acting panel, but I don't think that's a good idea especially when I'm not for sure when I"m leaving.

lunaladyoflight
08-20-2006, 10:54 PM
It sounds cool. Since its in troy I'm definitely game...

Bunny Chiba
08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, I talked to my husband and I will be making it, since it isn't that far for us. Though he won't have a costume, I'll be going in the only one I have for now, Usagi's Jr. High Uniform.

If any of my Crystal Intentions Members will be there, you can look for me on Sat. and Sun. Please stop and see me so we can talk one on one.

Burton
08-27-2006, 03:48 PM
I do believe all my friends who you met, sorta, at Jafax (up in Artist Alley)...*ahem* Tamaki *ahem* will be going as the whole gang from Host Club. That is if they get their jackets made in time. But that's the plan. Haruhi (aka me) may or may not make it, as I'll be on the other side of the country by then.

Apparently there shall be a lot of OHSHC cosplay this year at Youma haha. I'm thinking about doing something myself. Although I'm not sure who just yet.

Rho
08-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I still need to settle on a costume...and then figure out how to sew...

fma_01_fan
09-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Yesh. I'm going. I just need to get my costume before then and I'll be good.

lunaladyoflight
09-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I have no idea what I'll be wearing. It'll b Sailor Moon of some form though. If I manage to re-do the wig before then.

AZNPRDE420666
09-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Already have all my costumes lined up and fabrics bought. (now its just a matter of constructing.)
Sherry Birkin- Resident Evil two

Dr. Girlfriend- Venture Brothers

Dark Alessa- Silent Hill movie

I just don't know what days to wear them all on. XD

Rho
09-09-2006, 10:33 PM
ha ha, Venture Brothers...that's awesome!

AZNPRDE420666
09-10-2006, 12:28 AM
ha ha, Venture Brothers...that's awesome!

I love the Venture Brothers! Now if only I could imitate Dr. Girlfriend's voice... XD

Shei Valentine
09-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks to being able to have Saturdays off at my job now, I'll be able to go!! Friday night I'll probably be wearing my Temari, and Saturday, I'll be wearing Sailor Saturn, since Link didn't get any pictures of it at Otakon. I don't think I'll be there on Sunday, though.

daguru
09-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Don't know if anyone's bringing any Silent Hill costumes, but if you are, SCHWEET!
I'm bringing Pyramid Head, Captain, and various other costumes (whatever I feel like atm)

I recently aquired an old wheelchair. hehehehehe (can use it for more SH poses)

Bunny Chiba
09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks to being able to have Saturdays off at my job now, I'll be able to go!! Friday night I'll probably be wearing my Temari, and Saturday, I'll be wearing Sailor Saturn, since Link didn't get any pictures of it at Otakon. I don't think I'll be there on Sunday, though.

I will be there Sat. and Sun. so look for a school Usagi-chan when you have your Sailor Saturn on. I'll have the toy for the broach and really long extensions.

Kaorte
09-14-2006, 05:58 PM
im getting an artists table ^^ yay

Shei Valentine
09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
I will be there Sat. and Sun. so look for a school Usagi-chan when you have your Sailor Saturn on. I'll have the toy for the broach and really long extensions.
Will do. You won't be able to miss me, either. My Silence Glaive is to scale and the blade is pretty damn shiny. ^_^

Leon
09-15-2006, 03:32 AM
Here's my current cosplay setlist for Youma:

Moonlight Knight (Sailor Moon)
Black Dino Ranger (Power Rangers Dino Thunder)
Pikachu Outfit (Pokemon)

This is subject to change at any time...

vannadear
09-15-2006, 07:43 PM

Pikachu Outfit (Pokemon)

Mwahahaha! What days for each? I'm only going to be able to go on Saturday since my 20th BD is on Sunday....I'm going as Sakura Haruno from Naruto (My Boyfriend made me) and I'm tempted to bring my Michiru Costume as well....though changing at a con with no room is a pain!

AZNPRDE420666
09-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Don't know if anyone's bringing any Silent Hill costumes, but if you are, SCHWEET!
I'm bringing Pyramid Head, Captain, and various other costumes (whatever I feel like atm)

I recently aquired an old wheelchair. hehehehehe (can use it for more SH poses)

Damn. That almost makes me wanna pull out the ol' nurse costume, improve it and wear it to youma.

DAMN YOU SCUBA STEVE

daguru
09-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Damn. That almost makes me wanna pull out the ol' nurse costume, improve it and wear it to youma.

DAMN YOU SCUBA STEVE

O.O
Someone should do a Scuba Steve costume ROFL

(well, eventually)

Bunny Chiba
09-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Pikachu Outfit (Pokemon)

Hey, don't forget to look for me either so we can talk about Crystal Intentions. And if you do Moolight Knight on Sat, we can have some fun with that one. I'll be in my school costume.

Usagi

AZNPRDE420666
09-19-2006, 11:59 AM
O.O
Someone should do a Scuba Steve costume ROFL

(well, eventually)

I would bow down to them. XD

A few years back, I was contemplating going to a con as Steve Urkel for lulz.

daguru
09-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I would bow down to them. XD

A few years back, I was contemplating going to a con as Steve Urkel for lulz.

hmmm, how about Steve Urkel wearing a half-hearted Sonic the Hedgehog costume.

(he did the english voice in the cartoons)

kira_elric
09-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey all, I've been bad and Haven't really been keeping up with this thread -I mainly keep up with things on Youmacon's forums. I'm bring for sure now (I keep changing cause of revived insterests or my friends/Mom):

Edward Elric (again, for those of you who attended last year I was the movie!Ed who had Alphonse Heidrech and Movie!Winry with her): I don't know which to bring though. I'm re-doing my automail AGAIN -verison 3.0 whoo, but it depends on which verison I do, to how i build the automail hand. ..grr.. Series -large screw is on the wrist
the Movie -it's in the palm of his hand.
What do you guys think I should do?

Anywho:
I'm bringing
Artbook Sasuke Uchiha
and Zidane Tribal (FFIX)

There's a couple more I want to bring but I don't know if I will. The cons closing in...it may be september but it'll be here before we all know it. I can't wait! whoo!

Catboi Blues
09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Yes, we finally have our own boards here on C.C! This should make things a little easier for everyone to coordinate what they want to do at the con.

RaienSwiftwood
09-24-2006, 12:24 AM
We finally got our own board! Go Us!

Hikaruchan
09-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I haven't totally decided what I am bringing. Currently thinking Gaara, something InuYasha, and Dante. May change one or two things.