PDA

View Full Version : For those who have been in the masquerade...

Space Invader
04-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Just wondering about how they judge your costume(s) :). Are there people wandering about backstage looking at your outfit up close, or do they just have a look at it as you walk across the stage? Just curious before I bust out the crazy hand embroidery and beading I'll be doing on my Jane outfit XD.

Mandy Mitchell
04-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Last year, they didn't take an in-depth look at our Disney Princess costumes for Craftsmanship Judging. They mostly judge from how you look on stage.

If you really want a judge to take a closer look at your craftsmanship, you may want to enter ICG-sanctioned Masquerades.

Kitsune-sama
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Like Mandy Mitchell said, they didn't really judge the costumes in-depth really... I mean for our group, (the multi-colored Final Fantasy Summons, I was the red one), they kind of turned up around, asked our 'leader' who made the costumes some questions, and then scribbled down something on a clipboard...

They didn't really pry too much into detail, which I was kinda glad for (sorta half-naked at that part xD!)

KitB
05-05-2006, 05:24 AM
There is one judge that judges on "workmanship" she assist the other judges with there decisions. The two categories for this would be most beutiful and best worksmanship.

Rogue Marvel
05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, they really only had one lady backstage who kind of looked and asked few questions but not really enough last year.

What I would do is if that happins again talk alot about your costume (maybe a prepared speach) point out detail that normaly wouldn't be noticed and tlak about how much time you spent on it. Might help some, but yeah..mostly it about how good you look on stage and stuff

A J
05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
I've always thought their craftsmanship judging was pretty fair. The level of craftsmanship at the sdcc masq is pretty high and from what I've seen of the last 3 years we competed, the craftsmanship awards generally go to the people who deserve it.

The judging can be a bit rushed as they're hurrying a lot of groups through. I'd try to get dressed a little earlier and get into the green room to get judged before everyone else. You might also want to bring a reference binder and make a point of handing it to them and pointing things out that you want them to see. If they're not asking enough questions to satisfy you, be a little aggressive and make them look.

I think you're Jane would be well appreciated at Comic-Con. It's looking fantastic so far! =)

Maryssa
05-31-2006, 06:20 PM
haha. we had a huge binder with all our reference and pictures and sketches and all but i dont think anyone took one look at it =/

sbjudy
06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Craftsmanship judging is very fast at SDCC, especially since they judge all fifty groups from the time they finish dressing until the show starts. It's usually only a couple of minutes per group.

With that said, while fast, I've always felt that the judging at SDCC has been very fair and well done. The craftsmanship judging has not only picked those with clean seams, but also those with amazing levels of detail and complexity that you just can't see from the stage. For the most part, any judge can see who they want to look at more at a glance.

As a contestant, though, spend a couple minutes thinking about what you want to bring to the judges attention, though. If you only have a minute or two, what would you most want them to see?

Yuna
06-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Craftsmenship questions/person to person judging is always very fast. But if you bring in a folder with reference pictures and in progress pictures, the craftsmentship judges use those backstage, after the masquerade, while forming their choices. Most all groups who win Craftsmenship trophey awards at SDCC provide a large reference material for judges to look out, along with pictures of their costume, and the picture taken of them backstage. Though it may seem as though they're brief and uninterested, they do pay attention to costumes. It is asked in the entry packet that, for all entries, a reference picture be provide, or a concept artwork/base artwork for original designs.

Craftsmentship juding is always THE LAST group of judges that finish their deliberation at Comic Con, and, from an entry's stand point, it's a long ass time. After watching them, however, they really go into it thoroughly. Don't sell them short for brief in-person interviews.

Space Invader
06-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the answers guys, I appreciate it. However, due to some sudden family problems (found out my dad has cancer and needs surgery ;_; ) I will not be able to attend Comic Con this year. To all competing, good luck!

kelldar
06-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't mean to take over Space Invader's thread (sorry to hear about your father, btw, hope his surgery goes well!) but I thought this would be the best place to ask instead of making a new topic...
I've done the masquerade the past two years and decided to sit this year out - and I kinda wanted to get a seat in the photo area this year to take pics of the contestants. Has anyone here done this before, and if so is it really necessary to reserve a seat in advance? I've emailed about it a couple of times but have yet to hear back; I tried again today, and I figured I'd ask here too to see if anyone knew the lowdown on the photo stage :)

Eurobeat King
06-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the answers guys, I appreciate it. However, due to some sudden family problems (found out my dad has cancer and needs surgery ;_; ) I will not be able to attend Comic Con this year. To all competing, good luck!

I wish your family good health, K. and sorry to hear you can't make it to your first comic-con this year. *hug* But it was great seeing you at A-kon (congrats on winning Best of Show with your Trinity Blood costume!) and hope you can make it to Dragon-Con in September, which is (in some cases) better than SDCC! :)

I've done the masquerade the past two years and decided to sit this year out - and I kinda wanted to get a seat in the photo area this year to take pics of the contestants. Has anyone here done this before, and if so is it really necessary to reserve a seat in advance? I've emailed about it a couple of times but have yet to hear back; I tried again today, and I figured I'd ask here too to see if anyone knew the lowdown on the photo stage

ooo.. we can take pictures together of all the contestants side-by-side, Kell. ;) I've been taking pictures in the post-masquerade photo-area the last few years, and it's nice to sign-up for it in-advance so that you can go back there to take pictures. I've emailed the masquerade coordinator to reserve a spot (it says you can do that in the recent Update booklet) or else when you get there, you can sign up for it outside Room 20 (to the left) at the masquerade desk. I plan to do that when I get there on Wed. for Preview Night justincase they want you to do it in-person rather than via email.

Last year I arrived before the show and there were already a # of photographers already sitting down in the front row. Later, one of the staff in-charge read down the list of people who signed-up, and whoever he named could sit anywhere they wanted to, even if it meant making those who were already seated get up and move. When my name was called I could've had a seat in the front but I was kind enough to let those who were already there stay where they were. I still got a lot of nice pics from the side. :)

kelldar
06-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I figured you would know, Al! :D I think I'm more excited about getting in the photo area than I ever have been about being in the masquerade - must be the new camera affecting me still! I'll try to go by on wednesday as well.
Yeah your pics from last year were great so I'm not worried about getting on the front row LOL

Eurobeat King
06-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I figured you would know, Al! :D I think I'm more excited about getting in the photo area than I ever have been about being in the masquerade - must be the new camera affecting me still! I'll try to go by on wednesday as well.
Yeah your pics from last year were great so I'm not worried about getting on the front row LOL

You must keep me going during the long night, Kell, as last year I took a break towards the end and it caused me to miss a few people when they went onto the photo-area stage. :lost: So this year I'm staying there until the staff announces the last entry so that I don't miss any. And then afterwards I'll hang out until the winners come back out, or if other cosplayers wander outside for pictures.

I look forward to testing my new cameras at SDCC at the photo-area also! ;)

atomic99
06-25-2006, 05:37 PM
I think to reserve a photographer's spot, they want you to write in instead of e-mail but I'll have to check that last update. But Kell, DEFINITELY do that now or before the con starts. It fills up quickly. And then check it that first day of the convention to make sure. They will check off your name and then give you a photographer's pass to get into the area.

Eurobeat's right! People do show up early (about two hours before the start) and scope out a good spot or help set up the stage. The guy calling out the names by order that Eurobeat mentioned is something new they did last year. Fortunately, only one person moved to a new spot while the rest didn't want to make waves or were happy with their spot.

The photo pass does not allow you to go backstage, however. I'm not even sure if the press pass does that. If you plan on photographing all or most of the contestants, bring enough film/discs, batteries, and a snack for the long haul. Photos usually wrap up around midnight with the last hour being photos of the winners and anyone that wants to get up on the stage.

Eurobeat King
06-25-2006, 06:57 PM
The photo pass does not allow you to go backstage, however. I'm not even sure if the press pass does that. If you plan on photographing all or most of the contestants, bring enough film/discs, batteries, and a snack for the long haul. Photos usually wrap up around midnight with the last hour being photos of the winners and anyone that wants to get up on the stage.

The photo-area pass nor the press-pass do not let you backstage where the cosplayers are. Only the "masquerade entry" pass lets you back there, and you get those only if you're performing in the masquerade or are part of that participating skit/walk-on's group. The last 2 years a friend of mine was kind enough to get me an extra one and I was able to go back there to see what it's like from the cosplayers' POV before and after they go in front of the audience and take a little breather. (I plan to just stay in the photo-area this year.)

Kell: You were backstage the last couple of years. The only people back there allowed to take pics in the Green Room before the show are the SDCC staff photographers. After everyone has gone on, during the movie-trailer halftime show, then pictures are allowed by everyone who's back there.

haha sometimes the photographers there will find cosplayers roaming the halls and have them go on the photo-stage and pose for pictures. They even ask guy & girls who AREN'T in-costume to go up there.. :thumbsup: My friend Christie Marie (she cosplays Padme & Slave Leia) back in 2003 was asked to go up onto the stage when she was in normal clothes and was up there for like, 20 minutes.. alll these pictures were taken of her.. :confused:

I was late last year getting there because I was getting some sushi from a restaurant 2 blocks away, but that food kept me going for the rest of the night. I might do that again this year. :)

atomic99
06-28-2006, 01:43 AM
haha sometimes the photographers there will find cosplayers roaming the halls and have them go on the photo-stage and pose for pictures. They even ask guy & girls who AREN'T in-costume to go up there.. :thumbsup: My friend Christie Marie (she cosplays Padme & Slave Leia) back in 2003 was asked to go up onto the stage when she was in normal clothes and was up there for like, 20 minutes.. alll these pictures were taken of her.. :confused:

LOL. Yes, Christie is a favorite of the photographers. I walked past an upstairs hallway during the last hours of Comic-Con last year and a few phoographers had talked her into a photo session in her Slave Leia outfit. So I joined in and got some great photos. She's been very good to the photographers and is very photogenic and an excellent model.