PDA

View Full Version : Sango Cosplayers: How did you make your Hiraikotsu?

Oshidori
02-22-2003, 04:48 PM
I have my own ideas on how to go about doing one, but i think it'd be wiser to hear the do's and don'ts of other people who've already had the experience of making one before i actually do it. So any advice? Thanks in advance!

videogirlc
02-22-2003, 05:39 PM
I see alot of people make it out of wood, others fiberglass. I made mine out of illusttration board and basically a paper mache style. Very lite to carry aroud this way, I still bumped into people. A lot o people asked me if it was heavy and they were surpised that it wasn't.

Chino-San
02-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by videogirlc
I see alot of people make it out of wood, others fiberglass. I made mine out of illusttration board and basically a paper mache style. Very lite to carry aroud this way, I still bumped into people. A lot o people asked me if it was heavy and they were surpised that it wasn't.

I think paper mache is a good idea. Because its light and yet sometimes durable. But their is a draw backtowards this idea. When you paper mache the board or something like that. You always leave like visible strips that make it look nasty. Always plaster your paper mache and sand it so you can avoid that nasty strippy look to it. Wood is more work but it will come out nicer. Good idea is styrofoam. Its easy and plus very light. But can break. Always remember the 3 things i costume or prop making. Good,Cheap,Fast. Out of those 2 you can only pick 2. If you want it good and fast its not gonna be cheap. Cheap and fast not gonna be good.

Oshidori
02-25-2003, 10:31 AM
when you say plaster papier mache, do you mean do the papier mache, wait for it to dry, and then put plaster on top? Or do you mean to dip your outer layer strips in plaster?

Chino-San
02-25-2003, 10:15 PM
What I ment by that was to paper mache it first. Then to like plaster it with some puddy or maybe some cement if possible.

Reiko
10-18-2003, 01:00 AM
Wood if possible... or faom is easy to carry too .. but I have seen poeple make it out of carboard.. plaster would be WAY heavy and a lot of money to do it like that... then again its just my idea. ^_^

here is my "Boom Boom" down there

Spooky Brew
10-18-2003, 05:21 AM
They make plaster in strips! It's called Rigid Wrap! It super easy to use, just get it wet, and lay it down like Paper Ma'che, but when it's all dry, it can be sanded and painted without problems! So, you use cardboard, rigid wrap the crap outta it, sand, then paint! It may take a bit for a prop that big, but it'll turn out awesome!

Reiko
10-20-2003, 08:34 AM
mine only took me to days out of Foam.. ^_^ and its still going strong..

~Sango~
10-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I am in the middle of making my hiraikotsu and i am making it out of insulation grade foam, and then rigid wrap. (that stuff is really simple to use) I am doing the brown wraps out of lether strips (dying them brown). And thats all i have done so thats all.

Jun_Kazama
10-16-2004, 10:30 AM
I made mine out of wood, but I'd suggest insulation foam covered in something else (fiberglass, paper mache, etc..). Mine weighed like 16 lbs (and it was hollow inside), and that sucked carrying around. I couldn't carry it myself after a few hours.

Kumi-chan
10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Can you get Rigid Wrap at regular craft stores? Like Michael's? And how do you cut the foam? This sounds like a good method, but I have no experience in this area. I've never built a large prop before.

Also (demonstrating my inexperience here, I guess), do you just use sandpaper to sand after the Rigid Wrap dries? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but once again, I know nothing. And what kind of paint do you use? Where do you get leather strips strong enough to hold up the whole thing?

I'm also curious about the little golden trefoil/clover-shaped buckle Sango has on her carrying strap. Does anyone know where I could get something like this, or how I could make it? Sorry about all the questions.

~Sango~
10-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Can you get Rigid Wrap at regular craft stores? Like Michael's? And how do you cut the foam? This sounds like a good method, but I have no experience in this area. I've never built a large prop before.

Also (demonstrating my inexperience here, I guess), do you just use sandpaper to sand after the Rigid Wrap dries? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but once again, I know nothing. And what kind of paint do you use? Where do you get leather strips strong enough to hold up the whole thing?

I'm also curious about the little golden trefoil/clover-shaped buckle Sango has on her carrying strap. Does anyone know where I could get something like this, or how I could make it? Sorry about all the questions.

Question help you learn. Rigid wrap is found in craft stores, or at least the ones near me. For cutting the foam a wire cutter will work, or any blade or saw. Yup sandpaper after it dries. Any paint really. I cut the strips from leather i got at the rag shop. Srry but i refuse to put up pictures untill my costume is done to my liking. It seems wrong to have the boomerang and no the costume posted.

calen383
10-19-2004, 12:47 PM
all right boys and girls. i've got a story for you. lets gather 'round everyone....

:chatah:

ok, so my best friend decided to be Sango in our little Inuyasha group we had going (and by little i mean 6 people ^_~). so it came to the time where we had to make her Hiraikotsu. We took two very big sheets of styrofoam (you can get them for about $5 each at Michael's), we cut out the two sides and attached them in the middle with nails and hot glue. (keep in mind the hot glue WILL melt it, so be spareing.) then my boyfriend-at-the-time (our inuyasha of course) said "hey, i have some fiberglass. Lets use that to harden it up! it'll be like a car door!" So, us not knowing ANYTHING about cars or fiberglass, we shrugged and said ok. we put it on the middle first and let it dry leaning up against her garage door. We left it to work on other accessories (like my fans for Kagura). about a half hour later, we went outside to check on it and the fiberglass melted it in half! so, we had to use other alternatives (and buy new sytrofoam). In the end, good old duct tape came in handy. We used about a full roll to cover that thing completely. Then we spray painted it and added the accessories once it dryed. The only thing wrong was that you could see the duct tape lines, but all in all it was really good.

morale of the story: don't listen to the guy who decides a 100lb Inuyasha sword out of ply wood is a good idea.

I hope this was edjamactional for ya! :rolleyes:

InuPhoenix
10-20-2004, 07:32 PM
ahhh tkes two days to make! first styrofoam, then spray paint in a bone color then use that paper -like tape and color it browna dn make home-made tassles out of yellow yarn ^_^

Migalnathrakh
10-21-2004, 11:45 PM
ahhh tkes two days to make! first styrofoam, then spray paint in a bone color then use that paper -like tape and color it browna dn make home-made tassles out of yellow yarn ^_^

NEVER spray paint styrofoam. It's always a bad idea. My recomendation would be to cut it out of insulation foam, cover it with a thin layer of strips of news paper diped in wood glue. let it dry for a few days. then cover in fiberglass. The paper and wood glue will help to keep the fiberglass form eating your foam. After the fiberglass is dry, sand it smooth. if there are any dips in the shape, fill with Bondo (found in the Walmart Auto section near the paint, only a few dollers a tub) Sand it all smooth and while your getting the bondo if you need it, buy some car spray paint in the color that you want. Car paint is a few more bucks then the regular stuff but it's worth it (looks better in two coats then the cheep stuff looks in ten). Finally get some car wax and follow the instructions. The wax will protect the paint and make it shine. This process is pretty long, but not very expensive, concedering the size of the prop that you want. Good luck!
-Adam

Matsuki
10-24-2004, 11:45 AM
reiko-
your Hiraikotsu looks soooo awesome! ^^ how'd you make it?!

migalnathrakh-
your idea seems very-good. but how do you use fiberglass? is it toxic? -where can you find it too.. and where can you get insulation foam, Bondo, and car spray paint oh and the wood glue? ^^';;;;

(theres no walmart and Michael's near me.)

(but there is a beverly's, home depo, and joanne's near.)

~Sango~
11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
reiko-

migalnathrakh-
your idea seems very-good. but how do you use fiberglass? is it toxic? -where can you find it too.. and where can you get insulation foam, Bondo, and car spray paint oh and the wood glue? ^^';;;;

ok Reiko dont be mad at me, but she made the hiraikotsu out of insulation foam, gesso, and paint.
fiberglass can be harmfull and to learn how to use it get a fiberglass kit.
You can get all htis stuff at home depot or joannes o your covered.

Reiko
11-11-2004, 08:57 PM
reiko-

migalnathrakh-

yup shes right ^_^

if you have any questions please PM me ^_^

~Sakura~
04-21-2007, 09:25 PM
all right boys and girls. i've got a story for you. lets gather 'round everyone....

:chatah:

ok, so my best friend decided to be Sango in our little Inuyasha group we had going (and by little i mean 6 people ^_~). so it came to the time where we had to make her Hiraikotsu. We took two very big sheets of styrofoam (you can get them for about $5 each at Michael's), we cut out the two sides and attached them in the middle with nails and hot glue. (keep in mind the hot glue WILL melt it, so be spareing.) then my boyfriend-at-the-time (our inuyasha of course) said "hey, i have some fiberglass. Lets use that to harden it up! it'll be like a car door!" So, us not knowing ANYTHING about cars or fiberglass, we shrugged and said ok. we put it on the middle first and let it dry leaning up against her garage door. We left it to work on other accessories (like my fans for Kagura). about a half hour later, we went outside to check on it and the fiberglass melted it in half! so, we had to use other alternatives (and buy new sytrofoam). In the end, good old duct tape came in handy. We used about a full roll to cover that thing completely. Then we spray painted it and added the accessories once it dryed. The only thing wrong was that you could see the duct tape lines, but all in all it was really good.

morale of the story: don't listen to the guy who decides a 100lb Inuyasha sword out of ply wood is a good idea.

I hope this was edjamactional for ya! :rolleyes:

I'm going to try that...

Sexy Kat-Kashi
04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
well if u dont want it heavy i would sagest balse wood(sp for balse is wrong i think) its pretty light and stuff

~Sakura~
04-22-2007, 02:58 AM
I've already got the hiraikotsu taped. I just need to bind it together and spray paint it.

~Sakura~
04-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm going to try that...

Hey, calen383, domo arigato! :geek: You're method worked perfectly. Right now my Hiraikotsu is drying! :bigtu: Thank you very, very much!

Fireheart Storm
04-22-2007, 05:32 PM
well if u dont want it heavy i would sagest balse wood(sp for balse is wrong i think) its pretty light and stuff

Yes, but it also breaks very nicely (and by that I mean my six year old brother can break it...or the sheet we had) so, I would sugest some thign more durible (like pine....or maybe using insilation foam?) :sunburn:

BakaSango
08-23-2008, 11:02 PM
k.dont got much time,but i made my hiraikotsu by:unfolding a card booard box,cut a giant boomerang shape out of it,getting my little siblings to paper mache it,fiber glassing it,sanding it ,then painting it a faded yellowy kindof color,then adding 6 brown leather straps to each side of da hiraikotsu,2 yellow bows to one side inner one having a red bead,then the other side having one bow(no bead)HOPE DIS HELPED!!!XOXOXO!!!

Naruto_Fox
08-24-2008, 12:34 AM
What kind of Foam are you guys talking about though? Im gonna be demon slayer sango and wanted to make that darn Hiraikotsu as well. But I dont have a job yet and cant afford too much. I know its expensive, but I think foam is a good idea. Just...which kind is the good kind?

limey_cricket
08-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Um, wow.
Guys, this thread is HOW OLD?

SangoTaijiya33
08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
I have a question for anyone who is up to it. I'm going to Anime Boston 09 its in like may of 09 and I'm going as Sango from Inuyasha. I can do the sword and costume(s) perfectly but her boomerang. I got a review sort of that you've all made Hiraikotsu for your cons. Would anyone be willing to tell me exactly how they did theirs like height, color, materials, how long it took, the wieght it was. My mom works with fiberglass and wood all the time and she said she'd make it but needs to know what materails and color it is first. Please can anyone help me out

Reiko
09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a question for anyone who is up to it. I'm going to Anime Boston 09 its in like may of 09 and I'm going as Sango from Inuyasha. I can do the sword and costume(s) perfectly but her boomerang. I got a review sort of that you've all made Hiraikotsu for your cons. Would anyone be willing to tell me exactly how they did theirs like height, color, materials, how long it took, the wieght it was. My mom works with fiberglass and wood all the time and she said she'd make it but needs to know what materails and color it is first. Please can anyone help me out

Easy!

Pink foam,

cut it out...

sand it down...

gesso / paint it a flat white..

spray paint the color you want...

fiber glass.... (so in case like me to tend to drop things... it wont break)

add leather straps and your golden...

look in my gallery. I have PLENTY OF PICS of my boom boom. any more questions please pm me :)