PDA

View Full Version : The 80's Retro Thread!

Oshidori
02-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Anyone else a huge fan of 80's music? Who was your favorite group/band? What are your fav songs? Any particular genre that appealed to you the most of the period? (punk, newwave, rap, metal, etc?) And just out of curiosity, how many fans where born *within* the decade, or the decade(s) before or after it?

I grew up in the ghetto, so i'd have to say i favor a lot of the rap music out of the time, my second fav being new wave (although my tastes run across the board). And i was born the year 1980, exactly :P

some of my fav songs are:

It Takes Two- Rob Base
Pump up the Volume- M.A.R.R.S.
Push It - Salt n Peppa
I Ran - Flock of Seagulls
Rock Lobster - B-52's
Take On Me - A-ha
All of Blondie
All of Slick Rick
All of GnR

and soo many more, but I wanna give other the people a chance to name their fav's and reminisce :)

Cassandra
02-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Duran Duran!!
80s music rocks :D

peaseblossom
02-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Rock! Hungry Like the Wolf is a kick ass song!

Dead or Alive r0x0rz!(The BAND! not the game.)

A Flock of Seagulls

The Cars
Nena!!!

Rosiel
02-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Eurythmics! The Cure!
I love 80s music. I even love Falco. ^___^

And I was born before the 80s.

Sakura
02-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Blondie, and THE CULTURE CLUB! ^^ lol I used to love 80's music even though I was so young. I still listened to all of that through the early 90's.

GinNeko
02-22-2003, 04:55 PM
I'm an 80's child, so I grew up with 80's music...^^. Some of it I like, some of it I don't. I like the mushy ballads and stuff the the most, and all the moody stuff...

Rosiel
02-22-2003, 05:16 PM
I can't believe I did not mention Cindy Lauper... or Madonna... Madonna was great in the 80s! (True Blue was her best album!) Then it all went downhill. >__< First the kink, then the quest for "respectability" and the need to be an "Artist" (notice the capital "A" it makes all the difference).

> mainstream music in the 80 was _SO_ good. Even the worst of the 80s (like It's Raining Men) wasn't all that bad. So why has mainstream music sucked so hard since.

Because the world went through a recession, and people started thinking that being depressed means being deep and intellectual. Hence the whining music of the 90s was born "I have no liiiiiiiiiife I wanna diiiiiiiiiiie". Enters grunge. Noise with complaints about how life is evil and cruel. And since life is cruel, no need to actually clean yourself and wear decent clothes either. I think grunge saps people's will to live. X__X

The 80s didn't take themselves seriously, and neither did the music, it was light and enthusiastic and had the most irrepressible joie de vivre... they wanted to have fun, and it showed.

Cassandra
02-22-2003, 05:36 PM
and 80s Bon Jovi was so much cooler than Bon Jovi reborn ;)

Oshidori
02-22-2003, 07:02 PM
actually i loved the grunge era but i'm not gonna get into that, i just want to say i think the 90's for the most part was the decade of the producers picks and not so much the artists. Or that the 90's in general was the decade of consumerism and mass-marketing, which you can see across all aspects of the decade. And if you know anything about a product thats mass marketed, if a company can save money by cutting corners and sacrificing top quality and glaze it over with a cheaply made eye-catching package, they'll do it. Exploiting people's weakness to nice looking things to sell, and it's worked, making us the gullible fools (maybe not so much us as on this forum, but us as the general society)

More songs (to stay on topic):

Laura Brannigan - self control, Gloria (or was that Irene what's her face who also sang my schools theme song, Fame?)

Flashdance music in general

PRINCE

Micheal Jackson

Van Halen

That song Supersonic by JJ Fad or 'The cars that go boom'

i'll post more later :D

Galaxia
02-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Oshidori
Laura Brannigan - self control, Gloria (or was that Irene what's her face who also sang my schools theme song, Fame?)

Irene Cara sang "Fame". And I love "Gloria"

Pet Shop Boys - What Have I Done To Deserve This? :D:bouncer:

KaineMaxwell
02-22-2003, 09:25 PM
80's music forever!
Yay for the Vice City OSTs!!

Oshidori
02-22-2003, 10:24 PM
lol...yes...the music is definitely one of my fav parts about the game! lol

thank you! i couldn't remember her last name for the longest! And i realized it wasn't Gloria, Laura Brannigan sang What A Feeling

Tears for Fears- Mad World

Kim Wilde- Kids of America

ooh Pet Shop Boys- Left To My Own Devices

Erasure- chains of love, send me an angel, a little respect, oh l'amour

The Go-go's!

Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Ok...this would be n appropriate time to ask...but does ANYONE know the title and artist to this song..the video was very new wave goth and weird, I vaguly remember something about white sets with ladders and a lot of black and white swirliness going on, and the chorus had the line 'I gotta friend in jee-zus!' or something like that. Someone's gotta know it!!

Tenshi
02-22-2003, 11:50 PM
I adore 80s music, but I was too young to remember most of it as it happened (I was 7 when 1990 came around). So ever since this town got an 80s station I've been joyfully rediscovering all of it ^_^. My absolute favorite 80s band is INXS. I also like Duran Duran. I have so many favorite 80s songs it would take years and years to list them. So I'll spare you all.

To go on the sub-topic. . .I like grunge if you throw Nirvana out of the picture. I absolutely cannot stand them. A lead singer who cannot sing, a guitarist and bassist who CAN'T TUNE THEIR DAMNED INSTRUMENTS. GAWD. There's one live track of theirs where Kurt Cobain's guitar is playing with a cello, and the vibrations from mis-tuning drive me up the wall. I don't know how Dave Grohl, who is now in a decent band, got mixed up in that >.>.

. . .Well, THAT was an interesting tangent. :: cough :: Anyways, most grunge is cool by me. Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands *_*. And don't forget some very amazing bands came out of the 90s. The Smashing Pumpkins. Radiohead. Others that I'm too lazy to list. But yeah. Most mainstream music is crap because we're force-fed it. We have no alternative unless we do our own sleuthing, and most people are too lazy ^_^. At least that's my theory.

Basic Beecicchi
02-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Ironically, Tenshi.......a vast majority of people consider Nirvana creating that grunge.

And to add to further irony......people liked that kind of not-in-tune type of music. [Not saying today's grunge is the same way.....i was just targeting Nirvana]

Tenshi
02-23-2003, 12:19 AM
>.> That's one of my pet peeves. Nirvana was not the first grunge band. They were simply the first grunge band to hit it big.

It may be the decade of music training I've had, but I simply cannot see why people can even STAND out-of-tune music, let alone LIKE it. It makes my ears bleed ;_;.

Err, sorry, back on topic. 80's music rocks! Yeah! ^_^;;

cyankirby
02-23-2003, 12:44 AM
I LOVE 80's music. I think I was born in the wrong decade (1982... wish I was born earlier) Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Billy Joel, Mister Mr, Yes...
Ahh, what more could you want!
I second what KaineMaxwell said; Vice City music rules! Hawaiian shirts all around!

KANEDA
02-25-2003, 12:52 AM
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS
The SMITHS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morrissey
02-25-2003, 07:12 AM
Depeche Mode - Everything Counts, But Not Tonight

The Cure - Jumping Someone Else's Train, Let's Go To Bed

Smiths - Work is a 4 Letter Word, Unloveable, Stop Me if You've Heard this One Before

New Order - Perfect Kiss, True Faith

Erasure - Heart of Stone, Who Needs Love Like That?

U2 - Pride, New Year's Day

Beastie Boys - Paul Rivere, Brass Monkey

Oingo Boingo - Cinderella Undercover, We Close Our Eyes

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities in Dust, Killing Jar

Echo and the Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar, Bring on the Dancing Horses

Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities, Rent

peaseblossom
02-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Depeche Mode- Enjoy the Silence, Barrel of a Gun (I know, not from the 80's)

The Cure- Plainsong, A Strange Day, 100 Years, Cold, Boy's DOn't Cry (tons more)

The Smiths- Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me, There is a Light that Never Goes Out, How Soon is Now?

U2- Pride, New Year's Day

Siouxsie and the Banshee's- Cities in Dust, Killing Jar, Face to Face

New Order- Bizarre Love Triangle, True Fait, Regret, Blue Monday

Pet Shop Boys - Left to My Own Devices (name?), cover of You Were Always on My Mind

Dead or Alive- You Spin Me Round *g*

David Bowie- Let's Dance, China Girl, Modern Love

DarkFlame
03-17-2003, 01:02 PM
The Human League, Tears for Fears, Gary Numan, Howard Jones... in fact, I swear Human's Lib by Howard Jones sounds like a bit of the soundtrack from Ranma 1/2...

Kellie
03-17-2003, 01:11 PM
80s music is one of my absolute FAVORITE genres. My absolute favorite song has to be Safety Dance by Men Without Hats. Other favorites of mine would be Heart, The Bangles, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Duran Duran, Blondie, Pat Benetar, The Eurythmics, Robert Palmer, Soft Cell, Ah-Ha, Madonna (I have a weak spot for Material Girl)....gaah! There's alot that I listened/listen to.

The music is just so fun and happy. Slouch socks, stretch pants, over-sized teeshirts with plastic knot holders and high, side ponytails owned.

Rosiel
03-17-2003, 01:16 PM
> I have a weak spot for Material Girl

The video! All these pretty men! *___*
I still remember drooling over the blonde one (I think he's the one that "dies" and falls down the stairs) when I was much much younger.

supesu otoko
03-17-2003, 02:35 PM
i really adore everything about the 80s .. not only the music but the fashion & film..

a band everyone should check out is
Strawberry Switchblade (not switchblade symphony mmk)

& did anyone mention Cyndi Lauper at all?
c'mon now

ooh what love for polkadots, bows, pearls, big dark rooty curly hair, excessive make-up, jewelry & coool sunglasses :D

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL61/959566/1774665/21803341.jpg

Viral Harvest
03-17-2003, 04:03 PM
lol, the 80s. It's all about the legwarmers and mullets!

Alice Cooper, The Vapors, Warrant, Queen, and who could forget Twisted Sister. lol, Dee Snyder's son lives by me, in fact, he went to my school. Man, he is one cheezy kid. :thumbsup:

I gotta give the 80s credit though. Some of the greatest hardcore bands came out of the 80s: Sick of It All, Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, and who could forget the band that pretty much started it all? Minor Threat.

Kellie
03-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
> I have a weak spot for Material Girl

The video! All these pretty men! *___*
I still remember drooling over the blonde one (I think he's the one that "dies" and falls down the stairs) when I was much much younger.

XD

When I was little, I would find all my dress up jewelry necklaces and stand in front of the tv and sing along with her. But for some reason, I couldn't get out "material" so it would end up being something like,

"I'm a macherio girl!"

Kia
03-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Genisis, Peter Gabriel (Sledgehammer was such a weird video!), U2, Sting AND the Police (on his own and with his bandmates ^_^), Pat Benatar, and a bunch of other groups/artists that I can't think of right now. I'll post them when I can remember them. ^_^

Shadow Lady
03-17-2003, 09:52 PM
Eurythmics!

KANEDA
03-18-2003, 03:42 AM
I'm tellin ya....

THE SMITHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

peaseblossom
03-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Gary Numan has a special place in my heart (right next to the other weirdos in there!). His stuff is so much more than "Cars". *dreamy sigh*

Cyndi Lauper is cool, but I never bought any of her albums or anything.

Supesu- OMG! Strawberry Switchblade is nutso! ^__^

Kaneda: YES CHRIS! THE SMITHS!!!! *lol*

Angel Tifa
06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
It's all about the 80's :D!

Some of my favorites are Guns 'n' Roses, Ozzy Osbourne(early 80's in his first time without Sabbath), Metallica, and then there are some Alice In Chains 1988 demos I listen to.

robfalcon
06-06-2006, 07:32 AM
i was born 4 years before 1980, so my childhood was in the 80,s. I liked alot of chart music as a child, so 80,s music in general must of appealed to me at the time, but i do remember when the 90,s came, and music started to change a fair bit, and fashions like new romantic looks, mullets and big hair ect disapeared, i looked back at the 80,s (the then decade before) and thought "what a sad ass of a decade it was, i,m glad its over"

Back now in 2006, i look back at the 80,s and realise what a magical decade it was. The 80,s is where alt music started (with the exception of original punk rock and industrial). The 80,s spawned Goth, New Romantic, Emo, Post Punk, Darkwave, Sythn Pop (i.e. Eurythmics, Gary Numan, Depeche Mode), and it spawned many sub genres in Metal.

Like NWOBHM (Iron Maiden, Motorhead ect) Ghastly Metal (Venom, Hellhammer), Bay Area Thrash (which i love), black metal (tho i think what came after 1990 was better in that department), Death Metal ect.

I,ve noticed that Pink Flloyd, Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols, Souix and the Banshee,s, The Ramones, Sisters of Mercy and The Cure still have cult followings with the youth of today ironicly.
The only music now tho that i listen to which is from the 80,s is Bay Area Thrash, NWOBHM, Pop Rock (i.e. Van Halen, Def Leppard) Darkwave and Italo. If your love 80,s stuff, you might find this vid i made interesting ...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOZ8uXb6Tsk

hibekisensai
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
SWEET THREAD...80'S IS MA JUNK!!!

Some artists on one of my 80's playlists...this era is so near and dear to me....the 80's are a part of my soul!!!!!

MICHAEL JACKSON (HE IS THE 80'S...)
WHITNEY HOUSTON (SOOOO FINE IN THE 80'S!!!)
MADONNA (SHE IS THE 80'S...)
LL COOL J
ICE-T
NWA
FAT BOYS
LIONEL RICHIE
CYNDI LAUPER
ROD STEWART
TIFFANY
DEBBIE GIBSON
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK
MILLI VANILLI
WILSON PHILLIPS
GRNADMASTER FLASH
BILLY OCEAN
BANGLES
CULTURE CLUB
PAUL YOUNG
MISTER MR
BON JOVI
DEF LEPPARD
SKID ROW
PRETENDERS
VAN HALEN
CHER
RUND DMC
JOAN JETT
POISON
WHITESNAKE
IRON MAIDEN
GnR
AC/DC
DURAN DURAN
U2

robfalcon
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Ok...this would be n appropriate time to ask...but does ANYONE know the title and artist to this song..the video was very new wave goth and weird, I vaguly remember something about white sets with ladders and a lot of black and white swirliness going on, and the chorus had the line 'I gotta friend in jee-zus!' or something like that. Someone's gotta know it!!

The songs called Spirit in the Sky, and i think in the 80,s it was covered by Doctor and the Medics. I think the original was done in either the 60,s or 70,s and i think it was done by Crazy World of Arthur Brown?.

The 80,s was best at Horror movies in my opinion. And the 80,s had the biggest cult following for B-movies.

KANEDA
06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
>.> That's one of my pet peeves. Nirvana was not the first grunge band. They were simply the first grunge band to hit it big.

It may be the decade of music training I've had, but I simply cannot see why people can even STAND out-of-tune music, let alone LIKE it. It makes my ears bleed ;_;.

Err, sorry, back on topic. 80's music rocks! Yeah! ^_^;;

haha, now if I may respond to a post over 3 years old...
Nirvana dates back to the mid-80s. and Grunge was essentally punk anyhow.
Pearl Jam is barely grunge. it's the most polished "Top 40" rock of any "grunge" band.

and...
in-tune and out-of-tune is all perception forced upon you by your culture's popular standards (which are almost always boring and out-dated).
Any good band doesn't need to be on-key.

jinnai
06-06-2006, 11:34 PM
KRAFTWERK.

"Tour de France" and "Numbers" y'all!

...and they have been around for more than 30 years....and STILL playing LIVE!

FlowersInMidgar
06-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Let's see:
The Police/Sting
Genesis/Phil Colins/Peter Gabriel
Wang Chung
Oingo Boingo
Duran Duran
Squeeze
Johnny Hates Jazz
Men At Work
Level 42