PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom hearts is it disney or anime?

Philipina Yuna
04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone! well...I think alot of cosplayers are wondering since kingdom hearts is pretty much japanese made... does it mean that it is somewhat acceptible for us to cosplay the disney characters in the game? What do you think?

Blue Eternity
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone! well...I think alot of cosplayers are wondering since kingdom hearts is pretty much japanese made... does it mean that it is somewhat acceptible for us to cosplay the disney characters in the game? What do you think?
I've seen people do that... I'd say cosplay whoever you'd like. ^__^

Mucho love
Grace

Kateko
04-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Acceptable? Of course it's acceptable! Even if it wasn't a Japanese-made video game, it'd still be acceptable to cosplay :D

It really irritates me when people say you can only wear ANIME costumes to conventions, or you're breaking some sort of unwritten rule. If that were true, some of the most amusing costumes (pocky boxes, DDR pads) wouldn't be around! T_T I'd say even if they weren't in Kingdom Hearts, go ahead and cosplay 'em! ^_^

But yeah, go ahead and count them as a KH character - though if you're going dressed as, say, Belle's foofy yellow dress, then you shouldn't feel the need to say, "I'm from KH2 so I'm okay!"

On the other hand, my friend wants an Alice dress, so she'll be joining our KH group ^_^ If I saw her alone, I'd figure, "oh, she's cosplaying Alice from Alice and Wonderland!" but if I saw her with a KH group I'd be like, "Oh, she's Alice from the KH world! That's nifty!"

To summarize my weird and probably nonsensical rant, it doesn't matter what they're from, you should never have to have an excuse to cosplay a character you love ^_^

Melanie
04-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Kingdom Hearts was my brother's excuse to cosplay Jack Skellington to an anime convention (his girlfriend cosplayed Sora), and he was really well received! :)

So yes, I say it's an awesome way to cosplay some of the characters you've grown up with and love dearly, without having to suffer those common "you're not anime!" accusations. :bigtu:

AquaHaute
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
On a related note, I think it would be awesome to see someone cosplay Sepoohroth from the recent Penny-Arcade strip: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/31

Philipina Yuna
04-10-2006, 08:04 PM
cool...but...I look alot like Mulan and I was thinking of coplaying her... but I'm not in a group...what should I do? Because my friends are thinking of going as rinoa, and i have no idea what the rest is going as they still havent made up their minds...

Malicious
04-10-2006, 08:52 PM
please don't ask me where i got this from cuz i don't remember but i swear i read it on a convention site that u had to get permission before u cosplayed ANY disney characters from kingdom hearts cuz of copyright issues. this was back when the 1st one came out and everyone went gaga over it.

Zipo
04-10-2006, 09:56 PM
^---- W00t!!! It's Sally!! ...Nice avatar. ^_^

Malicious, was that from that one year where Anime Expo was held at the Disneyland Hotel? I don't remember whether Kingdom Hearts was out yet, but that was a very weird situation in which neither party ended up very happy. I've heard it said that we can expect never to see Anime Expo held at Disneyland again, thanks to all the nightmares it caused, and I'm not talking about the ones that happen "Before Christmas." ;)

Philipina Yuna:

So, about non-anime costumes:

There was a time when I was against non-anime cosplay. It was because some people were bringing in all this weird crap like WWE costumes, and I got defensive because I have too many RL friends who encroach on my hobbies by trying to force their interests on me. -_-;

But fortunately, I have not yet witnessed such problems at the con once it actually begins. In the end, it's all in good fun, as long as you aren't trying to start a conflict. However, if there is conflict, it usually has to do with safety rules rather than costume genre. So... I say wear whatever the heck you want. ^_^

...But since you asked, yes, Kingdom Hearts technically counts as "anime" for the purposes of an anime convention, meaning it gives you free license to do any Disney costume in the game and still be eligible for awards. At least, that's how it is at Sakura Con: the only restriction on non-anime costumes is that they aren't eligible for Craftsmanship awards. Otherwise, non-anime cosplayers can do whatever they want, including participating in cosplay skits on stage and winning skit awards.

P.S. - Perhaps I should say "non-Japanese." I'm really not sure whether J-rocker costumes, for instance, face any restrictions. It's hard to say, because those types of costumers don't usually enter the cosplay contest; they more often enter the karaoke contest, which is music-based and has no costume requirements in the first place. *shrug*

White Mushroom
04-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Ah yes the age old question. Well technically this is more than one question... like what does "anime" cover? Just anime, or japanese based items, like video games, or j-rock?Anywho, back on topic... There WILL be people who will glare at you and tell you that it's not an "japanese based character". Just be prepared for it. My personal opinion is that in japan they cosplay whatever the heck they want, why can't we? Jedis, original characters, american characters are all cosplayed at japanese conventions. So have fun!

If you're gonig to ax, I'll be running around as a giant vivi from kh2 so maybe I'll see you at the gathering^_^. If not , have fun at your convention!

Danzikumaru
04-11-2006, 01:35 AM

Some cons limit the costume entries to having something to do with Japan. It helps limit the entries so the masquerade doesn't run that long. There have been some humorous exceptions to this rule...such as someone cosplaying as Japanese wrestler (or prorsesu, if you will) Juushin Thunder Lyger at A-kon many years ago. It didn't win any of the major awards, but it was eligible, as it followed the Japan rule. So, I'd suggest looking into the actual rules of the convention you are attending. Either way, I'd suggest doing the KH version of the Disney character in question (if there's a difference) as it's generally more interesting to look at.

Miya~Kome
04-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Cosplay is cosplay, so I say of course it's acceptable. In order to classify it as Disney or anime, we'd have to know who you were thinking of making. If it was a KH original character (Sora, Riku, Ansem, etc) or if it was a Disney character with a bit of remodeling (Donald, Goofy, Mickey, etc), I'd classify it as anime. However, if it was a Disney character that looks the same as they did in whatever movie they were in (Tarzan, Hercules, Aladdin, etc), that would most likely be considered Disney, simply because the original character design didn't originate in Japan.

Either way, as long as the masquerade rules don't go against anything, I don't think it really matters how you classify it.

Michi
04-11-2006, 06:31 PM
As long as the Disney character was actually in Kingdom Hearts, you can say you're cosplaying from KH. But I hope no one runs around in some Disney character that was never in the games and tries to enter a masquerade saying it's KH. ^_^;;

One of my favorite Disney characters was finally in KH2, and I wanna use it as an excuse to cosplay her... though I would've done it before, anyway. ^_~

Malicious, was that from that one year where Anime Expo was held at the Disneyland Hotel? I don't remember whether Kingdom Hearts was out yet, but that was a very weird situation in which neither party ended up very happy. I've heard it said that we can expect never to see Anime Expo held at Disneyland again, thanks to all the nightmares it caused, and I'm not talking about the ones that happen "Before Christmas." ;)

Anime Expo has never been actually held AT the Disneyland Hotel, though in 2000 some congoers were staying there and at Disney's other hotels. Since 2003 they've been at the Anaheim Convention Center which is literally across the street from Disneyland. There was some confusion over cosplaying Kingdom Hearts so close to Disneyland because some Disneyland-attendees would be staying at the same hotels that the AXers were staying at. Disneyland has a big thing about not confusing costumers with their cast members. I dunno whatever happened to it, because nobody's really said anything about KH cosplay since then. ^^; There was a big KH group in 2003 with many Disney characters, too.

Zipo
04-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it is definitely best to check... in fact, it's ALWAYS best to check the rules, regardless of what you're doing; that's just common sense. :)

Also, yes, Danzikumaru, Miya is correct -- only Mickey's gang really got any redesigned outfits among the Disney characters. All of the Disney characters from the various worlds wear what they wore in their respective movies (or non-movie cartoons in some cases).

Anime Expo has never been actually held AT the Disneyland Hotel, though in 2000 some congoers were staying there and at Disney's other hotels. Since 2003 they've been at the Anaheim Convention Center which is literally across the street from Disneyland. There was some confusion over cosplaying Kingdom Hearts so close to Disneyland because some Disneyland-attendees would be staying at the same hotels that the AXers were staying at. Disneyland has a big thing about not confusing costumers with their cast members. I dunno whatever happened to it, because nobody's really said anything about KH cosplay since then. ^^; There was a big KH group in 2003 with many Disney characters, too.
Oh, okay... sorry, now that you mention it, I remember hearing those details, but I forgot. ^^;

I'm not surprised they didn't have it at the Disneyland Hotel; I was rather surprised when I originally heard that rumor. Well, in any case, a Conscrew strip talked about Disney cosplayers having to wear identifying bracelets on Disney property (namely the hotel), and they were rather bugged by it.

And from hearing stories of people wearing ren faire garb being turned away at the gate, I doubt anybody got into Disneyland itself while wearing a Disney cosplay. Not sure about other costumes, though, like Sora, et al...

Philipina Yuna
05-01-2006, 09:08 PM
wow I never knew it was so complicated sometimes!

Michi
05-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Whom would that be? Human Aerial? Elizabeth? Mulan?

NALA? :D!

No, no, no, and no. XD But nice guesses.

I hope the release of KH2 will bring about more awesome mixed KH gatherings like the one I mentioned at that AX. :o