PDA

View Full Version : Pmx 2006

Freight
04-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I checked the PMX website recently, but it's still the same stuff from last year.

And I heard a rumor that the Asian Kung Fu Generation and the Pillows may be featured acts this year.

Super No 1
04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I don't know anything except for maybe a venue change. The only page that has any sort of update is the one that has the monthly articles and it indicates that PMX will be in September with no specific date given.

At this point, I really wouldn't trust any rumors. Rumors are bad.

Freight
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks, Super.

Hope they give us some dates or something soon. I know people that want to go.

Super No 1
04-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I talked with some of the PMX folks today at the anime theater that they had set up at the Cherry Blossom Festival in Montery Park. They had a very basic flyer for this year's convention. The dates will be October 28-29 (2 days only this time). Daylight savings time ends on that weekend so we get an extra hour of convention. :toothy: The location will be the LAX Hilton. :eek:

Old skool!! Old skool!!! Lemme hear ya!! Old skool!!

Eurobeat King
04-23-2006, 12:45 AM
The dates will be October 28-29 (2 days only this time). Daylight savings time ends on that weekend so we get an extra hour of convention. :toothy: The location will be the LAX Hilton. :eek:

Old skool!! Old skool!!! Lemme hear ya!! Old skool!!

Oh, very cool. It won't conflict with Yaoi-con (the weekend before) so I could possibly go this year and check it out. :)

LAX Hilton, huh? Last time I was there was for AX 1997.. old skewl indeed! ;)

Ami Yuy
04-26-2006, 04:49 PM
The location will be the LAX Hilton. :eek:
Oh buu, I doubt we'll be going then...depends on school and such, but that's a bit far. Really the only reason I went the past two years was that it was really close to home/school... Although, the bands sound cool, if they actually end up going being there...

Michi
04-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Gak.. more stuff in October. I'll go as long as there's anything interesting in store. I was SO THERE for the first year in '04 for T.M.R, but nothing appealed to me last year. =/

Eurobeat King
04-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Gak.. more stuff in October.

Considering that PMX is 3 weeks after Ani-Magic, the So.CA cosplayers who might go to both cons may or may not wear the same costumes (unless they can get a new costume done within that amount of time.. ;) ) I look forward to taking pics at the Hilton, since I only remember the inside of the dealers' room and maybe some of the viewing rooms back in 1997.. :thumbsup:

Last year's wasn't as good as Year #1 (that's what i heard, cos I was partyin' at Dragon-Con that weekend) :D but perhaps this year it'll be bigger and more people will show up.

Ami Yuy
04-27-2006, 06:52 PM
It's ironic how last year felt like a dead Con. It was far worse than the first year, and it was competing with Fanime at that time!
It just seemed like both years they tried to go too big too fast. They chose some really large locations for a brand new con and the small attendance was dwarfed by it. The first year it barely felt like anyone was there at the ACC and then last year in Long Beach it was pretty much the same. If it had been in smaller locations I bet it would have been better.

Freight
04-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I'll probably be there. It's been a long time since I went to the last AX at the Hilton.

It's a good laid back 'con.

Eurobeat King
04-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Convention attendance gets bigger every year (for most cons) so perhaps this year since it's on Halloween weekend (even though the 31st is 2 days after the con is over) will help attendance for PMX 2006.

Amy: Maybe this convention or Ani-Magic we'll have a chance to chat more, seeing how AX will be really hectic (a lot of "hi" and "bye") hehe ;)

Super No 1
04-28-2006, 12:43 AM
There were a lot of reason why attendance was down for this convention last year. The biggest reasons were probably lack of a big musical guest and $3/gallon gas. I know a lot of people who are reconsidering their present convention plans because of the current gas situation. After the first year, I suppose everybody expected the same level of musical entertainment, and when that didn't happen, people decided not to go. I thought that last year's music program was very good. I was in the concert room all day for each day and I saw each act perform at least once. Sure, it wasn't TMR or PLC, but there was a lot of very good music last year. It was way better than the indie bands from the first PMX.

I also thought that CosFest was one of the best masq contests that I saw last year. Because they allow almost anything from Asian entertainment, there were a lot of things that I saw that I don't see anywhere else and because they are competing for cash prizes, people put a lot of effort into it.

It's tough to say if attendance will grow or not until any guest or programming announcements are made. By cutting it to two days, that will certainly have an effect on attendance just because there is one less day.

It's going to take a few years for this con to figure out what works. Since it's not a typical anime con, it still has to find an audience for some of its non-anime events. This con will be fine once it does that. For me, this is the one con each year that I don't want to miss just because I enjoy all sorts of Asian entertainment.

Eurobeat King
04-29-2006, 02:06 PM
You know, I just realized something. This topic is still up and we're not talking about cosplay at all...

There's still lots of time to go until the end of October, and I think most cosplayers are worried more about getting their costumes done and surviving AX first, which is going to be here in a little more than 2 months..

If I do attend PMX this year, I probably won't cosplay but just wear civvies and take pics. :)

AuroraHermione
05-02-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm confused... what exactly is PMX... is it like a music con that cosplayers attend or something similar??? I'm wobdering because if it's at the LAX Hilton thats literally down the street from school so it would be easy for me to get to. So could someone shed some light for me??? Thanks very much!!!

Ami Yuy
05-02-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm confused... what exactly is PMX... is it like a music con that cosplayers attend or something similar??? I'm wobdering because if it's at the LAX Hilton thats literally down the street from school so it would be easy for me to get to. So could someone shed some light for me??? Thanks very much!!!

http://www.pacificmediaexpo.com

Aya Mizu
05-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Oh I hope everything works out! I really appreciated that opportunity to perform anything related to Asian entertainment or we wouldn't have been able to do our Takarazuka Elisabeth skit ^_^

Mucai
05-07-2006, 10:27 PM
End of October? Well that's right out of my time window then :( I guess I'll be looking towards Dallas' AnimeFest. (Unless there is another CA convention at the start of September that I don't know about?)

Chibi-kun
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I was at PMX the first year namely for the big T.M.R and Miyavi, Silver Ash and Nami Tamaki concerts. That was a pretty big thing for me so I had to go there. Despite the fact that Miyavi cancelled, TMR and nammi Tamaki was still a pretty good show. And it was worth standing inline for 3 hours to meet TMR XDD;;

I had planned on attending last year, despite the gas prices, I had opt to use the train but it fell the weekend before school started. But this year, I'm planning on attending, with or without the bigger musical guests. I might just end up taking the train to Ani-Magic and driving to PMX instead. lol, if its still warm up until the end of October (in san diego, we get funky weather so halloween was still pretty warm) I might get to wear TMR's Sevent Heaven costume then. yay for jrock and jpop costumes XD

CelestialAurora
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
LAX Hilton?! what?! XP but i liked the Long Beach Convention Center! it was all pretty there. =_= ah, well.

depending on what's going on in October i'll see if i can go. and that's like Halloween weekend so i guess i can wear whatever i'm making for Halloween to PMX.

Milai Sapphire
05-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Hmm, never been to PMX before. Sadly... D: I think I'll try to go to this one (if I'm living at the apts on my school campus and if I have a car...and if people in my anime club would like to go too), but it depends on school and midterms and what not. It's not that far from westwood/ucla...I think.

If I do, then maybe I might try to do the Ayumi Hamasaki outfit in "Real Me". ^^ Still want to do that.

Michi
05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
but i liked the Long Beach Convention Center! it was all pretty there. =_= ah, well.

Well, AX is gonna be in Long Beach for 2007, so you can enjoy it again when that comes...? ^^

Eurobeat King
05-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, AX is gonna be in Long Beach for 2007, so you can enjoy it again when that comes...? ^^

Yesh, I don't want to return to Long Beach until AX 2007, and it'll be nice to return to the LAX Hilton for PMX, considering I barely remember the interior of the hotel (9 years ago) and I didn't take any pictures back then.. :thumbsup:

Squall
05-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Yesh, I don't want to return to Long Beach until AX 2007, and it'll be nice to return to the LAX Hilton for PMX, considering I barely remember the interior of the hotel (9 years ago) and I didn't take any pictures back then.. :thumbsup:

Dam dude....LAX Hilton?!?! *memories!!!!* I hardly remember AX97 XD I think I got that weekend free in October, so you might see me there.

Eurobeat King
05-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Dam dude....LAX Hilton?!?! *memories!!!!* I hardly remember AX97 XD I think I got that weekend free in October, so you might see me there.

I only remember inside the dealers' room that weekend, and the only time I saw the rest of the hotel was when I was given time-off to see the first 8 episodes of "Escaflowne" at different times. Jeez.. that room was sooo crowded, as that was THE anime to watch that weekend back in 1997. ;)

Good thing about having it at the LAX Hilton is that if you're flying to/from, you won't have far to go once you get out of the airport. I'm not sure if I'll fly down there or simply drive to save $$ (although with gas prices these days..)

JoeyWheeler
05-21-2006, 01:34 AM
i just read that it will be the last weekend in October at the LAX Hilton

just before halloween

AuroraHermione
06-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Unless I'm in a play that requires that weekend, I'll be there, as I'm literally dow the street

Kaoruyogi
06-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Hooray ends the day before my birthday AND it's in the middle of midterms!!! Yuss! *dies*

daoutlaw
06-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Talk about right in my neighborhood. Although its a shame that it'll be two days only but im sure it's worth something.

Moon Prince
06-28-2006, 09:20 PM
GAH! I remember the LAX Hilton from the days when the Strategicon gaming cons were held there. i think we were kicked out in the late 80's early 90's?

Super No 1
07-07-2006, 09:27 PM
It looks like the website has been updated, but there's not a lot of specific information other than dates and location. However, you can reserve rooms now if you need to and there is a link that you can use to do it. You can't register for the con yet or sign up for events, but you can get a room.

http://www.pacific-media-expo.com/

On the message board, some possible guests have actually been proposed and there are also a lot of things planned that are aimed at the EGL crowd.

http://www.pacific-media-expo.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

AngelJibrille
07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
It looks like the website has been updated, but there's not a lot of specific information other than dates and location. However, you can reserve rooms now if you need to and there is a link that you can use to do it. You can't register for the con yet or sign up for events, but you can get a room.

I'll be posting rules and such up for the CosFest sometime later this week. I've been super busy with running Fanime Masq, then going to AX, and now I am back and just catching up @_@. PMX is next on my list!

We are going to have a semi-Halloween themed CosFest. It's not required, but "scary" costumes are encouraged, and I will be adding an award for "Scariest Costume" and "Best Halloween Skit". And if you don't want to be "scary" no problem :) I myself dressed up as a princess pretty much every year I ever trick-or-treated ^_^;

It's going to be low-stress fun, so come on down for the cosplay. I think we are also having a Twisted Tea Party, and I'm trying to get them to consider a cosplay ball or dance (would anyone care?)

~marisa
PMX CosFest Manager

Master Zero
07-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Shoot, works for me ^^

Captain Gundam
07-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Two days? Ouch... I hope its fun though.
Still its good for me since I can take public transportation there. I hope I have nothing planned or important on that weekend.

Indigo Dye
07-23-2006, 11:10 PM
I should be going to PMX this year, though Im really bumed to hear that its only going to be two days. Its going to be good though its PMX. It was wonderful last year I know it will be great this year.

For this year I will be cosplaying.
Aizen Sousuke - Bleach
Aizen Sousuke(Hueco Mundo coat) - Bleach

Thats about it not much though.
Hope its going to be alot of this year!

[aizen]

crazyloststar
08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
ive never been to PMX, ive actually only been to AX for the first time this year ^^ so im excited about going to my second con! :D

i plan on going as munich!edo , and am currently working on my automail arm weee!

and the halloween cos mentioned sounds fun too!*ponders possible costumes*

*bounce*

darrylhw
08-05-2006, 06:25 AM
I'm trying to get them to consider a cosplay ball or dance (would anyone care?)

I'm so there. I could send you my resume for a ballroom dance. Ah, cosplay and dancing...is there anything better? Wait...cosplay, dancing, and single girls! Excellent.

Chizome
08-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Try dancing in a giant dragon costume and tell me how fun that would be. XD Anyways, I'll try to come this year.. even if it's only two days.That's two days I get out of the house! But this means I'll have to figure out how to save up for just registration, since I'm not allowed to get a real job... :lost: And then saving up for everything else. But I shall try my best! <3!

shogun
09-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Talk about right in my neighborhood. Although its a shame that it'll be two days only but im sure it's worth something.

Well, we thought about making it three days. However, we found that three day cons start late on the first day and fizzle out by the last. Basically, people pay for three days of con and get 2-2.5 days of value. Since we aren't on a holiday, it would be inconvenient for people who work and go to school.

What we are doing is getting rid of opening ceremonies and kick off the con on Saturday morning. From there, the con runs 24/7 (+1) until about 11PM on Sunday night.

The only twist to this MIGHT be if we pull in our super-bug JRock Musical Guest. If that happens, we will have him kick off the event with a Friday night concert.

Mike

It's going to be low-stress fun, so come on down for the cosplay. I think we are also having a Twisted Tea Party, and I'm trying to get them to consider a cosplay ball or dance (would anyone care?)

~marisa
PMX CosFest Manager

One twist we might do to our Unbirthday Party is to have our EGL Guest of Honor be the Guest of Honor for the party.

Mike

FunkMastaNinja
09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi all, Funk Masta Ninja from the Random Ninjas. We had the pleasure of performing at PMX last year and we are lucky enough to be playing again this year along with Dig Jelly, MECHANiCAL PANDA, and UchuSentai Noiz from Japan. Personally, I'm pretty excited to check out UchuSentai Noiz, from the videos I've seen they seem to put on a great show.

I had a great time last year performing and checking out everything PMX had to offer, probably one of my fav cons to tell you the truth since it has so many different things to offer.

Well, I hope to see you guys at PMX and if you plan on watching any shows come check us out, we rock out.

Super No 1
09-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Although it hasn't been formally annonunced yet, it has been reported on J!-ENT and on the PMX LiveJournal (http://community.livejournal.com/pmx/22493.html) that the next musical guest to be announced will be OLIVIA (http://www.avexnet.or.jp/olivia/).

KikyouLuver
10-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Yesh I Can Go!!!