PDA

View Full Version : Kairi (Pink Dress) Fabric Help~!

Sasutard
04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Hello hello. Sam here is in need of some fabric advice, since she can't do anything by herself it seems and is just plan retarded in the fabric world to begin with... And aparently should stop speaking in 3rd person <_<.

Anyways, I plan on cosplaying Kairi (KH2 Style - Pink Dress) in... basically almost exactly a year. I had to rush getting costumes together my last con, sooo, I'd like to avoid that >_>. 'Tis why I'm asking so early. I need a fabric recommendation(s) from all of you more professional cosplayers...

Her dress: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/Araichi/For%20Others/kairiwallpapaer-waiting.jpg (Well, a part of it, I wanted to show something big so you didn't have to squint >_<)

I'm looking for a fabric that comes in normally many colors, so it's not too hard to find in my poor small town D: and is durable enough to hold up those heavy zippers as shown there. Any ideas? Much appreciated. - Sam

AnimefestChii
04-11-2006, 09:28 PM
The way her dress looks, it looks like two layers. The black lining layer, and the pink top layer. To me, that means use something pretty heavy for the black, which will support the zippers, and find something softer and nicer for the pink that's just used as a top layer, meaning it doesn't even have to be very sturdy, just heavy enough not to be sheer over the black. That means that the pink might need to be double layered, since it's such a light color compared to black.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Sasutard
04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Ah thanks, that helps a bit... I'm probably going to try and find some spandex-e or bathing suit style material that's not shiny or anything.... Since, the chest part of her dress is unzipped so her... Umm.. Bluntly put: boobs sort of jut out a bit. >_< Is that a good idea or ne? I'm fabric retarded-- like I said, so if there is anything other then the fact it might be a bit transparent when streched, please let me know <_<

Miyu-chan
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm also planning to make Kairi's dress...eventually. I was planning to make a white dress, similar to Namine's, and wear the pink one over it. This way, if the zippers don't stay put, I'm not giving fanboys a free show. Looking at the cover of the strategy guide, her dress looks like it should be pink vinyl or pleather, which might be hard to work with. I've also seen cosplayers on these forums making their outfits out of twill.

Sasutard
04-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I am trying hard to find thick fabrics somewhat like those. The problem is, her dress is one peice [of course] with no indications of sewing marks unless bordering the top and bottem and zippers... Meaning there arn't really any fitting marks... I don't know the technical term for such <_<;; Meaning from the begining, as one peice, it should just wrap around the body-- be tight fitting and somehow still form to her curves... So wouldn't that mean some sort of stretchy material? @_@

AnimefestChii
04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
For the stretch fabric, if you plan on using that, you can go to any hancock's fabric (I think I spelled the name right . .I don't get the chance to go there often) and they sell non shiny, or sheer, stretch dance fabrics. They work great! They're a bit expensive . . something like $10 a yard, but not horrible. As far as fitting it goes, the zippers are actually . . how do I say, sewn into darts. Let me try to illustrate!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/TheKiwiness/dressdarts.jpg

I only drew that using two side zippers on her dress to dull it down. And I know it's not pretty, I'm just trying to show you can example.
So dress 1 is the cut of the dress without darts. Dress 2 is the marking of the darts where the fabric will come together. Dress 3 is what the dress would look like with the darts pulled in. However, what you do instead is cut out the fabric between the dart lines. Then you sew the zippers onto those openings, making the zippers themselves on darts.
I have no idea why I drew a dress 4, oops.

I hope that helps with that problem!
Good luck on the dress!

Sasutard
04-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Ah, thank you, thats much more help ^_^ I can't do darts but I'm sure my grandparent could with those sorts of instructions. Thankies thankies.

AnimefestChii
04-12-2006, 09:31 PM
No problem, glad I could help!

CosplayAnsa
09-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm planning on making this dress soon, and I've seen twice now that people have said something about a "black layer" and a "pink layer". I must be blind or something, because I have no idea what the "black" layer is... I don't see one. The only black I see is the hood and that isn't exactly a layer. It can just be sewn onto the white tank top as a hood.

I'm thinking I should use a matte artificial leather for the dress and a soft cotton for the shirt. Something kind of thick and plushy for the hood. Can anybody tell me if that would work?

Celcia
09-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Wow, this thread was necro'd.

For fabric, I suggest using pink twill and white kona cotton. Twill is a strong enough fabric (think denim, but not as hard) for the metal zippers. For the hood, I don't recommend using anything super fluffy like fleece since it becomes way too bulky (what I used initially). You can see an example of this in my Kairi costume here http://plutoniannight.deviantart.com/gallery/9460981#/d1sk8u9

tokalaangel
09-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Take a look at my Kairi cosplay. It has views from front, side, and back :3 Its pretty accurate imo, except for the fabric. I suggest using something stretchy. I made mine out of bedsheet cause I only had a week to get it together and that made form-fitting a major issue. Its a bit uncomfy to sit in :|

The zippers actually arnt heavy if you use plastic parka zippers. My dress is all one piece. The white part buttons to the side via snaps and I get in and out of it by using the zippers :)

I hope that helped some

@CosplayAnsa

If you're going for material accuracy, I suggest a knit stretchy fabric (stretch twill) and cotton for the hood and white part. That way, I'd have some texture consistency. It'l probably be more comfortable too.

Otherwise, go for it :)