PDA

View Full Version : What portible music device do you use?

number18
02-23-2003, 11:53 AM
I used to have a crappy mp3 player by Rio...Rio Diamond or something like that. It didn't have too much space...you could only fit about 21 songs max if you put the bitrate really low, and if you dropped it, god help you cause the thing was VERY fragile. I dropped it a couple times and it got to be very finicky, wouldn't let me change the bitrate or whatever, and by the end, I could only fit 9 songs on it at 128 rate. :P And it cost 100 bucks.

Now there is iPod and other mp3 playing devices, but to me I prefer my Sony Mini-disc player. It's so much better, in my opinion, than a simple mp3 player. You can record from other sources than just your computer and like...you can get five HOURS worth of recording time on just one disc. However, the cost of my particular mini-disc player (the most expensive one - came with a mini radio/remote control device) was quite high.

Anyways, I'm just wondering how many other people out there use/have/want mp3/MD devices...or if you just still use your walkman or something. Just thoughts or stories about what device you have and whatnot...I'd be interested in hearing them. ^_^ ...cause I'm a technophile.

(And I hope this is in the right forum. I figured the music forum would be appropriate for music devices and all....)

Sakura
02-23-2003, 01:57 PM
I have a Sony discman ^-^ It's red and it's really pretty. I've dropped it, run around with it, accidently kicked it, and I've been using it about 3 hours a day for the past year and it's never skipped. Ever o_o;; It's super-loud, too. Best part is, it was only $50 ^__^ Yay, go Sony!

MikigamiTokiya
02-23-2003, 04:36 PM
I usually use this crap lil D player but on occasion I use on of thoes lil mp3 players. I got it off one of thoes audiobooks websites though so you can listen to stories and such, it's pretty damn cool!

number18
02-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Whoa...what kind of stories can you listen to? You just download them for free or do you pay a fee?

And are there any other MD users?!@?!

ZiggyB
02-23-2003, 08:01 PM
I used to use a MD too, but I didn't have the MDLP model yet, so I only had about an hour on each disc and it was a pain to get the songs onto the discs. :( I switched to using the SlimX MP3/CD Player from iRiver:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/SlimX_350.htm

I love it. It's superslim, it will play normal CD's and CD-R/CD-RWs with MP3s on them. It also has a nice wired remote with an LCD so that I can have the CD player in my backpack and the remote clipped to my shirt.

I went crazy and decided to get the model shipped from Hong Kong, so it will display Chinese characters and/or Japanese Kanji in the song titles.

I'm personally looking into the iPod since it also has Chinese and Japanese fonts, but I think I'm gonna keep my SlimX and save the money to attend more conventions. :)

number18
02-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Bah! to mp3/cd. Heh. No, I'm kidding. That's a shame it didn't have the lp function. Speaking of the sweetness of remotes, I was searching some MD sites and found out that my model is actually one of just two to have an am/fm radio, built into the remote.

And I almost wanna say you should just save up like 150 or however much it would cost and buy one of the newer MD models that are out now...there are sites that sell sweet, moderately-priced Japanese models, that most likely have the display capabilities. Then again, really you should just stick with what suits you. If all you wanna do is record mp3s than ...maybe it is just better to buy a cheaper mp3 player than a more pricey MD or something. =is all excited to talk tech, like a DORK=

The iPod looks reaaaaaaaally nice. I think if I was some rich freak, I would have probably bought the iPod even though I have my MD player. Macintosh products are just beautiful (tho I don't own any boo hoo). Who can beat the sleek white design of the iPod? Although I saw this device that, while isn't quite as pretty as the iPod, can do the same exact thing AND has an am/fm radio built into it as well. Maybe you should check that out...I think it is about the same price as the iPod. And oh yeah, if you want you can go to apple.com and check the prices on the pod. They offer financing for their products. =shrug=

Babbit_Chan
02-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Normal portable CD player - I haven't got the cash to buy me an mp3 player, but I don't mind since my computer downloads 3 minute songs at half an hour each.

Tifa
02-24-2003, 05:22 PM
My CD player was $40 bucks, and it's the best CD player I've seen. It's a purty see-through blue ^^. Well there is one CD player in the world better than it; this guy, Sean, has a neon green one, and it's not fair ><

Ooo, and for all of you who want neato, cheap(but good) headphones, get Zenith brand ones. Mine are a lot like those popular blue/silver ones that slip on your ear, but they just have a different design, and they were only 10 bucks. They also fit more comfortably =P

Rosiel
02-24-2003, 05:28 PM
> Anyways, I'm just wondering how many other people out there use/have/want mp3/MD devices...

I had a Rio. It died.
I'm now using a Samsung YEPP and it's proving to be a lot sturdier.

My only problem with portable MP3 players? I get too lazy to change songs so I end up listening to the same couple of hours of music for months on end.

Lil Dreamer
02-24-2003, 05:35 PM
my vocal cords and my car radio.

Nipple. :)

MikigamiTokiya
02-24-2003, 05:37 PM
well you can have really any story that's on the site, they have a free example you can listen to on the site about badger legging @_@ they have stephen king, lotr and lots of other good stuff. I have the link on my other computer and if u wanna pm me i can get that to ya

ZiggyB
02-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
My only problem with portable MP3 players? I get too lazy to change songs so I end up listening to the same couple of hours of music for months on end.

Hehe, that's the same problem I have with my CD/MP3 player. Sure, I have like 700 mb of MP3s, but I'm too lazy to make a new CD with the new CD's I've bought or somethng... hehe, laziness wins over a lot of things doesn't it? :)

I think that's why I was looking into the iPod, with 20 gig, you can have *all* of your music with you and not have to pick and choose.

aimee
02-24-2003, 08:00 PM
ipod, baby.:D

peaseblossom
02-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Sony CD/MP3CD player

cyankirby
02-24-2003, 08:27 PM
I have a Rio Mp3 player. It's been kicked and dropped and pulled off tables onto the floor and it still works!

number18
02-24-2003, 09:23 PM
CyanKirby, you must have the indestructable models or something. My Rio was so...cheap. :P Oh well. And I did the same thing - not change the songs often on mine...

My MD player is sweet tho...the only thing that is somewhat of a hassle is naming all the tracks...but I don't mind. On the other hand, you can buy sweet blank mini-discs from Japan with all these crazy-ass patterns. I was browsing an MD site and they are selling Luna Sea pattern MDs. Looky - URL=http://www.minidisct.com/blanks/victor.html]luna sea MDs - at bottom[/URL]

I've noticed that I like to talk about my MD like it's a new boyfriend or something...someone please stop me if it gets too overbearing...

hehe..

KitsuNessa
02-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Panasonic CD player. Hey, it plays the CDs I burn. And with my ever-changing tastes, if I take the time/energy to burn it, it's worth listening to.
:( my Sony Discman finally kicked the bucket last semester. I've had it for a few years and it went EVERYWHERE with me and served me quite well. I do believe I wore it out...hehe...even the lid was really loose.