PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Candid Photography Enquiry

Cikgu101
04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
I attended a Cosplay event recently at a shopping mall.
It was fun with the hustle and bustle of any cosplay event.
Huge Crowds
Cosplayers
and
Get Together with Friends

After the event...at a Chat Room...An cosplay aquintance of mine conplained about some photographers taking shots without the cosplayers' permission aka Cosplay Candid Shots. :argue:

As both a Cosplayer and Photographer...I'm not sure about this thing. Is it okay to take Candid Shots of Cosplayers or should we refraim from it and ask the cosplayers to pose every time their photos are to be taken? :confused:

I just wanna know if anyone of you had such an experience before and how to deal with it. :rockon:

Kao
04-15-2006, 02:55 AM
Personally, I find it extremely rude to take someone's photo without them being aware of it when it comes to cosplay unless it's in a gathering type situation. The only other real exception I see to someone doing this is if the person taking the photo is a friend or general acquaintance because then it's more of a "just for fun" shot that will probably stay within the group. People should be given the opportunity to pose or at least be made aware that their photo is being taken so that they can remove bags, straighten up, hide badges, remove glasses and so on if they so choose. I've noticed that a ton of people are critical of themselves when they see photos of themselves in costume, why make it worse by not giving them a chance to prepare if they so choose? The last con I went to, I was standing around, minding my own business, waiting for my friends to show up when I see a flash go off right next to my face and turn just in time to see this man lower his camera, give me a cheeky grin and walk away. I not only had my badge showing, but also had a bag strapped on, was standing rather frumpily with my arms crossed, slouched and had my glasses on. Just that little incident managed to put me in a bad mood for a good hour or two.

Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really does depend on the situation, who is taking the candid shot, how they go about doing it and what they do with said shot afterwards, but that's just me. ^^;;

Sleepy
04-15-2006, 03:45 AM
There was an old thread about this....
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=55985

staereo
04-15-2006, 04:42 AM
Sleepy is right, this has been discussed at length.

Ultimately, if youre in public you hold no expectation of privacy. Whether it's polite is a seperate matter than the legality of the act.

I have shot both, but when doing a deliberate shoot, I'll get a model release. When doing quick hall shots or photojournalistic shots, I'll ask permission whenever possible. There are times, like stage performances and long distance shots, etc, that kind of prove difficult to meet with the cosplayer.

No matter what, however, I would never display an image of a cosplayer that ended up being indecent or degrading. I would also be more apt to only display flattering images of a cosplayer.

Bruce