PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablet - Graphire4

SolarTempest
04-22-2006, 07:23 PM
I ordered a Wacom Graphire4 6x8 tablet (http://www.wacom.com/graphire/6x8.cfm) a few days ago and waiting for it to come in the mail... hopefully on monday it will arrive. Anybody else here using a tablet for their photo work? (particularly dual monitor)

Two of my photographer friends have the older Graphire2 4x6's and rave how great they are to use.

Tenucha
04-22-2006, 07:27 PM
I have a Wacom tablet... I have had it for a few years so it's older.
I dont have duel monitors however.
I'm a left handed artist so I use it to draw and do Photoshop work... so it's alot easier for me to use then trying to draw and so on with my right hand on a mouse :P

I used the tablet for my new avatar

SolarTempest
04-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Left handed? Awesome!

I'm also a lefty, enslaved by the right-handed computing world. I've been doing computer graphics/illustration for so long that I don't find right-handed mice bad to use, but I think this new tool should let me do things a lot faster. :cool:

Do you still use your mouse often? I have a feeling I'll still use mine (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=10121) a lot because of the programmable buttons and for gaming. I have this big feeling that the mouse that comes with the tablet is pretty terrible anyway.

natsukoarts
04-22-2006, 08:01 PM
I have one as well, use it for illustration and colouring comic book panels mostly. But also for animation backgrounds, layering, characters, over backgrounds, over mouth movement for talking.

was originally left handed but mommy frowned against it, so i had to learn and be right-handed; so now am ambi -can write in both left and right

Atrista
04-22-2006, 08:29 PM
I have one, and I like it alot. It's the older model, but it's very useful.

Tenucha
04-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Left handed? Awesome!

I'm also a lefty, enslaved by the right-handed computing world. I've been doing computer graphics/illustration for so long that I don't find right-handed mice bad to use, but I think this new tool should let me do things a lot faster. :cool:
I actually move faster then the highest speed setting XD Oops! hehe...
So that's the only downside is that the pen doesn't match my hand speed.

Do you still use your mouse often? I have a feeling I'll still use mine (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=10121) a lot because of the programmable buttons and for gaming. I have this big feeling that the mouse that comes with the tablet is pretty terrible anyway.

I only use the tablet in Photoshop when workin with brushes or anything that doesn't involve adjusting sliders and so on. :P

Otherwise I work with a mouse since that's the norm for today. *sigh*
I actually can't imagine a left hande dmouse anymore... especially when I can multi-task by writing notes with my left and scrolling webpages or whatever with my right! :P

I'm actually gettng to be pretty ombidextious (sp?).
Alot of the martial arts I been taking are right hand oriented... so all my teachers say I have an advantage being left handed becasue alot of student need to learn to use ther eleft side... meanwhile leftys generally have control over there right side being in a right hand oriented world. :)

Shizzo
04-23-2006, 01:29 AM
I use a tablet too! It's also a couple of years old but I just love it to death. I've had training and education in the fine arts prior to any photography experience, so using a tablet was a very comfortable transition. It's so great for getting in there and editing out skin imperfections like acne and wrinkles.

SolarTempest
04-23-2006, 01:45 AM
I actually move faster then the highest speed setting XD Oops! hehe... So that's the only downside is that the pen doesn't match my hand speed.
I just read the technical specifications and it turns out that the Intuous tablets have double the reporting rate (speed) as the Graphire tablets. They didn't really mention that in their product features...

The multi-tasking pen+mouse combination sounds pretty good. I guess we have the advantage of not having to move the tablet out of the way when we want to use our normal mice.

This is awesome though, I didn't realize that tablets were so popular.

Sav
04-23-2006, 06:05 AM
I got one about 2 years ago. I usually use it for sketchs when iam bored though. It's a Intuos 3 I really enjoy the pressure ranges "gives more of a feel" when using brushes and a more neat effect. I'am also left handed and the problem i've found with it is the buttons and zoom/slide bar things is on the left side of the tablet(gets super annoying). When I first got it when I moved up to draw on the top part of the tablet my hand would brush over the zoom in/out slide bar and get really annoying and had to end up disabling it in the opinions. Yes the mouse does suck! I don't think i've ever really tried to use it besides the one time, your better of using a gaming mouse over it. It does take awhile to get use to though when I first got mine I was more into drawing so the paper to using a tablet was abit difficult to get use to. But over time you'll end up having alot more control over photoshop than before.

Snamok
04-23-2006, 01:09 PM
I ordered a Wacom Graphire4 6x8 tablet (http://www.wacom.com/graphire/6x8.cfm) a few days ago and waiting for it to come in the mail... hopefully on monday it will arrive. Anybody else here using a tablet for their photo work? (particularly dual monitor)

I actually have the exact same model, and yup, I use it in a dual monitor setup. Mine is a laptop hooked into a much larger external monitor though, so I use that one monitor for photo editing and the laptop one to chat and so on.

I don't use it for photo work terribly much, mostly paints, but I'm typically painting with reference so having a side-by-side in the process definitely helps.

I really don't need two monitors, though.

Drngd Kreationz
04-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Wow, I guess I'll join the club. I'm also a left handed and use my tablet (graphire 3 4x6) for the left side, and use a trackball on the right hand side. I will say I've been spoiled since I have gotten one. I use my tablet for pretty much everything photoshop. and my trackball for everything else.

silentspace
04-23-2006, 07:07 PM
I have a wacom as well. They are in invaluable asset for any kind of graphics work, especially on dual monitor system so that you can put your photoshop tools/layers on the side and not have to think about them obstructing your view. Also, wacom pens are much more intuitive than using a mouse (the pressure sensitivity alone is worth it) and much easier on your wrists...

staereo
04-23-2006, 10:22 PM
i use it. its my main tool in post processing.

I have the mouse with it, but i dont like it as much as my normal mouse.

So I dont use the mouse. I just run my regular mouse, and hook up the wacom when Im sitting down to edit photos.

The only thing I have to say is watch out, you get addicted. Going back to a mouse after a wacom you feel very restricted and held back.

I couldnt go without one now.

Youll love it.
Bruce

MissRaptor
04-24-2006, 02:05 AM
A godsend they are. I have that one. Very fun and good. Lol at my english skills. It takes some time to get used to tablets, but they are definately worth it. Practice helps lots. Have fun with it!

Andrea
04-24-2006, 02:12 AM
I use my tablet for EVERYTHING on my computer - I developed tendonitis several years ago thanks to a data entry job, and clicking mouse buttons makes my fingers stiff and sore.

So not only is a tablet awesome for the ease with which you can edit and draw and so on (in Photoshop or Painter I tend to use my right hand with the stylus, while my left hand works the menus and so on with ctrl or alt key combinations so I don't have to click/drag anything but the picture I'm working on, and it goes much faster), but it's good for your hands too. :D

Jadenyuki
04-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I donot own a wacom tablet, but I hear theare are usefull.Maybe int the future I may get one when I have the finances.

SolarTempest
04-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Got my tablet this evening!!! :cool:

It's all plugged in, drivers are installed, and I've customized my buttons. So far, it's pretty good. Haven't found it tough to work with, although I'm nowhere near as fast at using it as working with my mouse.

The 6x8 size is actually pretty big and requires me to move my hand around to do stuff, which is pretty different from my wickedly sensitive mouse (move it 2" to go all the way across two 1280x1024 monitors).

I set up a custom work area so that my tablet covers one full monitor and half of the other - that way I can access all my photoshop palettes on my second monitor, but still can use the entire tablet surface to draw things proportionately.

*runs off to play with it some more*

staereo
04-25-2006, 09:22 PM
LoL! Congrats on the new toy! Enjoy!

Bobbi
04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
I love my tablet! I'm using a graphire 2 4x6 from way back in the day. XD I use it for practically everything. I usually use it for drawing, but also for photo editing and the like. It's really useful and it's a lot of fun. :D

I hope you enjoy yours!

Majin Buu
04-28-2006, 03:55 AM
Wacom makes some really awesome tablets. I have the oldest Graphire tablet, but it still works great. I don't do a whole lot with my tablet (mainly because I'm not an artist), but I like what it does, and it does have benefits.

tfcreate
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Yep. I have 2. The second one is basically a spare. If you have alot of processing to do, you can't go wrong by having one.

Fuyuko
05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I have a graphire 4 4x5. I've had it for a couple of years (I think). I'm a graphic designer and I use it for everything ^^. I love it ^^.
I hope you enjoy your new wacom ^-^.

Dragonmun
05-10-2006, 04:53 AM

Two of my photographer friends have the older Graphire2 4x6's and rave how great they are to use.

I have a graphire 1... and well... I don't have a mouse anymore. :reverse:

I loves me tablet. I just need to get a new plastic surface for it. It's got a fairly deep grove in it from navigating internet scrollbars. :rockon:

ruexbluesummer
05-21-2006, 06:43 PM
I don't think I've ever really used my tablet for editing photographs... mostly use it for digital doodling and that. :)

artisanrox
05-22-2006, 09:46 AM
I have an Intuos 6 x 8. I've used it for practically every digital artwork and graphic on my Geocities website.

I've had it for over six years and have NEVER had a problem with it, and I think it's the only piece of digital equipment that wasn't made compeltely obsolete when I got my computer upgraded.

WACOM is truly the best thing that ever happened to computers.

Don't forget it you feel the controls are weird, you can adjust the speed, pressure, and whether you control the stylus as a tablet or a mouse!

photoworks.ws
05-31-2006, 10:34 PM

I love the 6x8. The 4x6 was too small for me. I use it with 2 monitors, but I have the image on one monitor and the cs2 toolbars on the closest side of the other monitor.

I'm amazed at the number of lefties on this threat!! I'm one too.

SolarTempest
05-31-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm actually really glad I got the 6x8 now. With the dual monitors, I lose a fair bit of "navigable" space in order to maintain the proper aspect ratio.

In all honesty, this tablet doesn't come close to my 8 button mouse for web surfing. It's nice to come home to an ergonomic mouse and a pen for my well-rested left hand after a long day of work though =)