PDA

View Full Version : DBZ - Female Saiyan

Karrit
04-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Right now this idea's on the drawing board:

My next cosplay venture is a female saiyan. I'm not sure what material I will make the armour out of, but I considered either foam or fiberglass. I also have this old bustier that I thought I might use as a frame and build the outer costume around it.

Aside from that I just need gloves, boots, scouter (maybe), and a tail. I also plan to wear a purple/blue leotard underneath the armour, with my legs exposed. I may wear clear or flesh-toned hose as well.

Tenucha
04-29-2006, 10:23 AM
That sounds pretty cool.
You really dont see any DBZ cospalyers anymore (Hmm... I wonder why lol)

That CraftWox stuff may work real good on Saiyan Armor.

I'm actually planning out Yamcha haha! My own variation of the Yellw suit at the end of the Buu Sega

Karrit
04-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Cool. I'll look into that material. I'm hoping my idea with the bustier works. Being a large-chested female I need support and it might help in addition to giving the armor shape.

My armor concept is inspired by Bardock's armor. I like the black color scheme, but I'm either doing it in red/black or purple/black with a purple or blue leotard underneath. My gloves and boots will be either scarlet or black. I will also be wearing a long black wig, probably curly.

Yamcha? I don't think I've ever seen anyone cosplay him before. Good luck with that.

If my costume works out I hope to get lots of photos (maybe?). Not sure if I'll compete in masquerades. Maybe if I feel the craftmanship is good enough.

mirrorsaber
04-29-2006, 01:01 PM
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

There is a tutorial on how to make saiyan armor there.

Odd, Im also planning on doing a Yamcha (Dragonball 10th anniversary movie version) and Im a girl. XD

CapsuleCorp
04-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Actually, now that I've worked with Wonderflex, I think it would be a good way to do saiyan armor. Barring getting a set of foam latex armor, but the guy who has that and would do it...well, he's good, and I'm sure he'd customize colors, but that would be pricey.

But Wonderflex would be able to be molded into more of a shape. I like AA's armor methods, but that saiyan tutorial is old and her skills have improved vastly since then. I'm sure even she'd look at that and go "gahh...you can do so much better." Wonderflex would allow the armor to be shaped to your body shape, and molded into those wonderfully body-hugging curves that the saiyan armor is, rather than stiff shapes created by styrene or foam or anything else.

Karrit
05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
How pricey is that guy? $200-ish? That would be a bit much.

Wonderflex sounds intriguing, but is it expensive? I'd also probably need another person to help me construct it since the armor would have to be custom fit to my own body, hence I'd have to be the guinea pig.

Karrit
05-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I want to try to make the armor myself. If I can, I will compete in Maquerade. If I end up commissioning it, I may just pose for photos. Either way it should be fun.

CapsuleCorp
05-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, David's foam latex armor castings are expensive. Over $300, which is why I can't get one now even though I was planning to while he was in the process of sculpting it. It would look perfect, though.

I don't know the pricing on Wonderflex, I didn't personally purchase the stuff I used. There's a thread in the Props forum all about it that should answer a lot of questions.

Karrit
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
That is a bit on the pricey side. I might try Wonderflex or something else.

I would also like some info on this Gentlemen who makes saiyan armor too (Just in case).

Karrit
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I posted this a while back. I'm wondering form or wonderflex. I want something that will be easier to construct and that I can paint.

NecroticNymph
08-30-2006, 01:54 PM
It may be a bit tricky with wonderflex. Since there is already a tutorial on how to make foam saiyan armor, I'd say go with the foam.

Bulma
08-30-2006, 10:34 PM
This Celipa cosplayer is really cool. I don't know what kind of material she use but maybe this pics could help you ^^

CapsuleCorp
08-30-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't like Amethyst Angel's styrene + foam version. It's a good armor method for SOME types of anime armor, but not saiyan armor. Saiyan armor is supposed to be molded to the body, flexible, so it moves with them, expands when they do, and has all kinds of soft, round curves and ridges. Which is why I suggested Wonderflex - it's a little more stable than something like papier maiche, but will get you the compound curves involved in shaping the breastplate and the ridges around each armor part.

And wonderflex can be painted. After being primed like crazy, of course.

Yet, someday (if I don't keep spending my savings on going to conventions and other costumes) I want to save up for the $300 foam latex suit from DavidYR. It's a thing of beauty, the closest thing to actual saiyan armor you can find. But it's not a make-it-yourself thing, that's a commission.

Karrit
10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I had another thought too. I have an old bustier, which will be the underframe for the armor. I was wondering if I could make the outer armor out of pleather (and paint centain parts?) over it. The bustier might give me the suppleness I need and I believe pleather is cheap.

CapsuleCorp
10-13-2006, 10:41 PM
...where can you get pleather cheap? I want some!

Or are you thinking vinyl? Y'know, originally, back in the day when I was entertaining thoughts of doing saiyan armor for myself, the only way I could think of doing it was to sew it out of vinyl. So, it most likely could work very well. And you may not even need to paint it, vinyl usually comes in a variety of colors.

I keep seeing these DBZ threads pop back up, and DBZ is running on CN again (Friday latenights)...you might tempt me into doing saiyan armor after all. :)

Karrit
10-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Does it sew easy?

CapsuleCorp
10-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Vinyl? Well....not any easier than pleather or PVC. All of them behave about the same. Great to sew on the wrong side, but any topstitching or sewing done with the vinyl side up in the machine sucks. I usually use a paper towel or tissue paper to help it glide through, but picking out the little bits of paper from the stitch afterward also sucks.

Karrit
10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm hoping to eliminate using a sewing machine. I have an ld bustier with an underwire for the chest. I want to use ot for the armour, but cover it over with something like vinyl, pleather or laytex. Would that be possible? The bustier should be stiff, yet supple enough (I hope).

CapsuleCorp
10-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Latex, no. Vinyl or pleather, yes, but you'd have to sew it. Whether you want to do it by hand or surrender and use a machine, that's up to you. But I think it would look very sloppy and not hold together if you tried to attach it without sewing it. It would probably fall apart from the motion of movement of your body underneath the bustier.

Karrit
10-20-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't mind sewing, but I don't like using a sewing machine if it's gonna be difficult. Fabris maybe, but not pleather/vinyl. Sounds too tedious.

Karrit
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
I was reading up on fosshape 300. It was described as being able to be used as an outer shell surface. And since I want to build the armor over my old bustier, I'm thinking this may be my material of choice. It's also quite cheap.

I also realize if enough pressure is applied, fosshape can be smothed out.

Has anyone else worked with it?