PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help!

mr. goth glam
04-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Okay, because I'm kind of lazy, I'm just going to go ahead and repost the thread I started in the newbies section.

Forgive me.

But I'm tired.

Heh.

Okay, I'm terrible at these intros, so let's just jump into this damn thing.

Hi, I'm Gabriel Ricard, and like all of you, to some degree or another, I'm a con whore.

I've hit six so far, since November 2004 (Neko Con) and this coming AMA will be my seventh.

Let's see...what else...

I'm an ugly bastard, and some of you may know me:
http://www.poetrydmv.com/memberhome/Gabriel_Ricard

That's me at Katuscon.

Anyway, so basically, I'm hardly a newbie to the con scene, but what I'm still in the dark in, to a certain degree, is cosplay.

I know good bits about it, I know people who go after it on a pretty serious level, but I myself have never tried my hand at it, besides a brief foray into dressing as a drunken geisha, and I'd like to change that.

I'd like to dress as Cid, from Final Fantasy VII. The game, not Advent Children.

And so far, I've gathered up a single decent picture of someone cosplaying as him, and I've also gotten a few strategy guide images. Both of which has given me a fair idea of what I'll need to pull this off.

But that's about it.

So, sad as this is to admit, I have absolutely no idea as to how I'm going to do this. I don't know where I can get a jacket, goggles, boots, and I definately don't know how to build that damn spear of his.

So, basically, what I'm looking for, is someone who can help me out, someone who is well aware that I'm pretty much a complete retard on this thing, and is willing to walk me through as much of this as humanly possible.

Which means you may very well have to deal with me on a personal level, and that's just a grim time for everyone involved.

I realize that's a lot to ask, and I'm not asking anyone to build the damn thing for me. I have every intention of doing that myself. But if anyone could, as the kids say, help a brother out, I'd be truly grateful.

I'd even be willing to buy a jacket from someone, if they've got one to sell.

At any rate, thanks for reading through this bit of nonsense.

And if you'd like to work with me on this, I can be reached at deep_in_liquid_indigo@yahoo.com

Though I'll do my best to keep up with this forum, too.

Thanks again.

This whole cosplay gig has always struck me as a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to a chance at pulling off a really badass Cid.

It should also be noted that I live about forty miles North of Richmond, in Sussex County.

Winters Knight
04-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Here's a question (and welcome by the way I love your username ^_^). Do you sew at all? I've unfortunately no idea how to make a spear but I know how to make anything fabric oriented with a little work. I could help by reccommending patterns and modifications and the like if need be. I am a bit too booked up with my own stuff to take any commissions right now, but I can definitely kick you in the right direction if you want.

I'm Jenn btw, so yes, very nice to meet you. I'll be at AMA too.

mr. goth glam
05-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I have no idea how to sew.

Heh.

Wakusei
05-04-2006, 02:09 PM
I can help make spears. That doesn't mean that I'm openning myself up to commissions, mind you. I would not mind helping you though.

mr. goth glam
05-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Sorry I've said so little.

Actually, the way things are now suddenly going, with various, immensely boring personal problems arising, I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it for AMA.

Though I'm thinking that now's as good a time as any to get a jump on Neko Con.

Still, I am going to try.

So, thanks to everyone who's replied, and thanks (in advance) to anyone who steps up in the near future.

Bagu
05-05-2006, 04:54 PM
I think you need to ask yourself a few questions when making a costume:

1. What can I make?
2. What can't I make?
3. What are my resources for making a costume?
4. Whats my budget?
5. How much time do I have to make it?

Its not that hard to look at a costume and then incorporate real-life clothing into them. For example, the main cast of the Wolf's Rain series are all in basic street clothes, so anyone could go to their local thrift mark for the clothing basics and they're an instant WR cosplayer.

All of this requires basic planning, and depending on the costume it sometimes can't be cranked out quickly. You have to devote time to it. When I had to contract a seamstress to work on a good portion of my Darcia costume, I posted an ad on Craigslist for one and found someone who also did Renn Faire costumes, so there are people out there that will do the work for you once you find them. Like yourself, I can sew buttons on a shirt, but am completely lost behind a sewing machine.