PDA

View Full Version : Can I get info on this, please?

Akiko Wolf
04-30-2006, 02:59 AM
I looked up the site and the info and such.. I ain't entirely getting it. Yeah.. >_>; Uhm, so, can anyone tell me exactly what there is for anime/manga cosplayers to do there? How much does it cost to get into the actual convention, and what is the price of a room per night? I'm really trying to go, but I need some prices, because it's not clear to me. x.x;

Thanks to anyone with info. I appreciate it muchly. :D

And no one happens to know an estimate of the cost to get from Florida to Iowa, eh? <_<;; *smiles innocently*

AquaHaute
04-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Link: "Room rates are $75.00 per night for up to four persons, plus 13% sales and hotel/motel taxes." (http://www.epicmovies.org/hotel.html)

And this page (http://www.epicmovies.org/membership.html) has an e-mail address for registration-related questions.

And no one happens to know an estimate of the cost to get from Florida to Iowa, eh? <_<;; *smiles innocently*
Are you driving? flying? taking a bus?

Akiko Wolf
05-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm actually in Iowa, myself, so I can walk there for all I care. But my friend is in Florida now, and would like to know the cheapest way to get there. I'm assuming it would be plane, with gas prices so high, so I dunno.

Thank you for the room rates and such, but also, what is there anime-like there, for cosplayers? o.o;

And to just get in to the convention, is it $90? >_>;

grandis
05-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Akiko:

I understand pretty clearly what you're asking. There will be a panel on anime cosplay at some point during the con, so there is some scheduled programming along those lines.

I guess what I would ask you is this: are you at the stage in your costume making career where you'd like to kick it up a notch? What Costume Con offers is the chance to learn how to improve your costuming skills by hosting a lot of how to workshops. It also offers the chance to meet some very skilled costumers, some of whom are not against sharing their secrets, tips, or knowledge.

If you're looking for a place to goof off in your anime costume, or receive recognition of your character, this probably isn't the convention you're looking for.

If you are, however, looking to see some great costumes, work on improving your skills, and enjoying the craft side of what we do as cosplayers, or getting some hints on how to do something you find difficult at the moment, this is probably well worth the time and money.

Grandis

BoinkCoBoy
05-02-2006, 01:51 AM
And let me add that even if someone *doesn't* recognize your cosplay character, if you are wearing a good costume it will still be admired.

Costume-Con is all about learning how to do this thing we call costume better. Panels and workshops are not only about costume technique, but also about a bit of stagecraft/characterization, planning and coordinating group costumes, makeup, prosthetics, etc.

There are also two masquerade competitions (anime costumes are very welcome, especially in the Fantasy & Science Fiction masquerade, but historically based cosplay could also be at home in the Historical masquerade), a Future Fashion runway show, a fun costumed social on Friday night (the theme this year is Hollywood epic movies), and numerous chances to meet and share knowledge and experiences with other lovers of costume.

This year, Saturday night after the F&SF masquerade there will be an Evil Genius Hall of Fame party sponsored by the Costume-Con 26 committee (that's my convention, scheduled for 2008).

Is that enough info?

Akiko Wolf
05-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Yes, thank you very much. You've all been very helpful. ^_^

Dany
05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Not to mention, I'm trying to keep a note out for an anime/manga themed get-together at this years Costume-Con. It will be the first (that I am aware) of its type to be at the event, so the more anime/cosplay types that would be able to be there, the better.

My -guess- is that it will be after the anime panel at this point. Logistics and all.....fun fun...!