PDA

View Full Version : Taking pics of yourself

The Partisan
05-06-2006, 03:32 AM
What's the best way to take a pic of yourself? When you don't have someone else to take a picture of you (either out of incovenience or sheer embarassment :rolleyes: ) how do you go about doing it?

There's always the old "point and click at the mirror" trick, but half the time positioning and pose is lost. What are some tricks and/or techniques that can be used to take your own pic properly?

natsukoarts
05-06-2006, 04:15 AM
a lot of the pix in my gallery are using the timer on a digital camera. hold it up over your head - to get certain angles and then make sure your arm isn't in the picture.

i have also used the timer and taped the camera to the wall, chair, whatever, even in one case to boxes on top of a chair so that you can set up the proper angle.

i have a tripod bit it usually pisses me off - but i have used it at times

i took one picture with the camera actually hanging from the ceiling from a hanger that i taped it to - again with the timer, to make sure to get the proper angle...

be creative. and the mirror thing always works

Ollie
05-06-2006, 09:03 AM
A tripod always works best. Just make sure to have something very close to where you intend to be when you hit the exposure button. Many cameras autofocus then, not after you've moved into the frame.

Ruri
05-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Most of the picturesI take would be by myself. I'll use a timer as natsukoarts said. I normally place the camera on a table (a stable flat surface), then put the timer on.

Fran-Chan
05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
All of the pictures in my gallery are taken myself. I just find a level surface, put the camera on there, set the timer and jump into a random pose.

phantomthief
05-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Most of the Toshiya Pictures in my gallery were self-taken. I stuck the camera on my dresser, put on a 10 second timer, and jumped into position ^.^

~Ari-chan

kitsunered
05-06-2006, 12:35 PM
I did a bunch of self-taken photos when I first started cosplaying that turned out really well. I used a tripod and a timer like someone else suggested, which worked really well because I could adjust the camera to take pictures at different angles and heights (it was a really nice tripod... unfortunately my ex kept it when we split up).

staereo
05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I think a few things are often done poorly.
First of all, a timer/remote and a tripod will get you the best results. Period.

But if youre using a mirror, as people often end up doing:

1) framing. Its rare you see someone use a mirror's frame as a creative border to their image.

2) why not move the camera off the frame. If youre posing creatively, you can cut your hand off without it deteriorating the rest of your image a whole lot. At the very least, put the camera in an area that is NOT the focus of the viewers attention.

3) dont use a flash, and use enough light to make yourself easily seen. Usually people's light sources are behind them. In fact, the light needs to be in front to make your details stand out. Unless youre going for a silhouette image. O.o

4) dont put your eyes on the camera in the reflection. Noones going to buy it when you are holding the camera. It maay take a few tries, but attempt looking straight on to the mirror. Or even creating some distance between you and the mirror, then zooming in, so your gaze isnt so obvious.

Although, if you have a timer and a tripod/base for your camera. Go that route.

Bruce

Efecss
05-06-2006, 06:35 PM
i do this on occasion. But, not recently, mainly because of one element.

But, what I do is get something the same height as me, like a coat stand, and use it for framing. Then I focus in on it. It won't be perfect, since I am larger than a coat stand. But, atleast its something. I set my camera up on the tripod and lock it into place. Then I ask my mother to press the button (After taking five minutes to explain where the button is, and how to press it.)

Autofocus is fine, but it can be tricked by the merest thing. I had several video cameras fall out of white balance and color synch due to a reflection from something shiny. And one time, when a leaf flew infront of the camera, the autofocus focused on that for about three seconds before readjusting.

Autotimers are fine, but sometimes you can mis-set them, or midjudge your length needed. I used to have an extended cable release.

If you look in my gallery, you will find a picture of me, with two girls, on a fan vid we did. I'm dressed as the 5th Doctor from Doctor Who. That was taken with a cable release. I hid it under my foot.

It's a squeeze bulb on a looooooooooong plastic tube that is connected the the release button. So you just have to sueeze and and a pin presses the button and you have your picture.

crimson sky
05-07-2006, 12:12 AM
For mirror pictures, I have to use the flash, because my camera sucks at picking up light and my house has crap for lighting.
What I do is stand a little to the left (because I'm right handed) of the mirror and hold the camera to the right, looking at the camera. This gets rid of the flash taking over the entire picture. When I use my full length mirror, theres another mirror behind it, so I can see if I'm in the shot or not, which is helpful.
If you're anything like me, the shots won't be great, but they're better than nothing.
Tripods are the best though!

*Shiva*
05-07-2006, 12:16 AM
With the exception of Arwen's coronation gown and Ellone, I took all of the photoshoot photos in my gallery myself. They were all done using the timer on my camera, and setting the camera on different surfaces. I most often use a music stand, because I can stand the camera up in either direction and I can adjust the height. Outside, I hand the camera off of trees a lot, and I set it on rocks on the beach. Just be creative! :)

VickyBunnyAngel
05-07-2006, 12:39 AM
A lot of my in progress pictures, such as wigs, and hairpieces, are taking using either the reverse method. This is different from taking a picture of your reflection rather I use the mirror to see the screen on my digital camera so I know where everything is positioned, I do all this with one hand. Then I click and the picture is done. I prefer not using the flash, and raising the exposure (personal preference)

Another method I use, is a webcam. It's arleady positioned on a stand, so if i'm just taking pictures of a wig,hair style or makeup, I have the option to use my webcam as well.

TomodachiFriend
05-07-2006, 02:18 AM
What kind of camera do you have? I'm assuming you don't use an SLR (simply because most people don't). Get a camera with a flip screen or... Instead of buying a new camera just for the flip screen, you can connect your camera to a TV since most of them have a TV output.

With an SLR, you won't be able to do that though. What I do usually is to put a placeholder. Chairs, big stuffed dolls, pillows, and a coat hanger are all good for this.

The Partisan
05-07-2006, 02:56 AM
This is just a general thread about taking self-pics.

Okitasan
05-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Personally I think mirror photos and "hold the camera as far away from you as possible" photos are really tacky (especially for cosplay). Most cameras have timers on them. If you don't own a tripod or if you don't have access to one at that moment, then just set your camera up on a ledge or basically any flat surface. You can tilt the angle simply by putting a small object (a couple pebbles, the camera strap, some cloth) under one part of the camera. Check the viewfinder or screen to see if it is all correct, then just stand in the spot you framed.

staereo
05-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Personally I think mirror photos and "hold the camera as far away from you as possible" photos are really tacky (especially for cosplay).

You're absolutely right about a timer being the best bet. But I just want to make a case for mirror shots not having to be tacky. These were taken by a member of a canon photography forum. (photography-on-the.net) Her s/n is kpiela, and the images are copyrighted to her. I hosted the photos so as not to leech bandwidth from that site. I just want to show how she is able to take what is normally a terrible photographic situation, and bend it to some decent shots.

http://www.staereo.com/Til.jpg
http://www.staereo.com/st.jpg
http://www.staereo.com/78.jpg

Just wanted to offer an contrasting viewpoint, that shows what creativity, skill, and a good photographic mind can do. I was more than impressed.
Bruce

Halo
05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
its hard, but make sure you get everything set up they way you want it. lighting, poses, surrounding objects...this is a picture i took of myself using a tripod, self-timer, and the lighting from the television only...came out pretty nice i think....

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/JP_Lee/PICT0127.jpg

Jakkaru
05-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Well, if your camera has a timer, you can do it. But other than that, it's kind of hard to get a really good picture.

Iwakuralain16
05-25-2006, 12:15 AM
im not sure if my digital camera has a timer on it... i rarely use it. but surprisingly my cell phone has one... haha

影の死子
05-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't really like the mirror tactic, but I have used it sometimes. I usually just hold it over my head. If I want a full body pic in an actual pose, I set the timer on my camera (after putting it on a tripod, table, shelf, etc) and pose.

Mariks_Dragon
05-25-2006, 04:45 PM
I have a Kodak easy share camera. I was wondering if it has the timer on it. I do not know.

Elf
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
It probably depends on the model, but I think most Easyshare cameras have a timer. My C360 does.

影の死子
05-25-2006, 06:50 PM
I have a Kodak easy share camera. I was wondering if it has the timer on it. I do not know.

It should. If you can, find your owner's manual to see how to use it. If you don't know where that is, lemme know what model it is. I can grab a manual from work or something and scan it (if we have it).

JiggyJigen
06-05-2006, 01:36 PM
I alwayssss take pictures of myself, about 90% of my gallery photos are self taken, and I usually set my digital up on this little tripod, and set my timer, and frame my shot, then run over, pull my glasses off when I can remember, and pose. ^^:: I'd say the tripod/timer way is the best way to photograph yourself. I always think of Blog pics when I see those cliché mirror shots. Now, I will admit I have taken the mirror shot before, but it was because I wanted the mirror effect, not because I had no other way. So depending on what you're looking for in a photo, changes how you should take it. ^^

Firestar
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Personally I think mirror photos and "hold the camera as far away from you as possible" photos are really tacky (especially for cosplay).

we'll, that does work when tripods and self-timers arent available.
im going to end up feel reeeally stupid asking.
but its better than bugging friends for pictures all the time.
do all digicams have a self-timer?

*Shiva*
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
My Sony Cybershot does. I think most do, but when purchasing you should always check the specific model.

DarkMag
06-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Timer is the best or just holding it up about 45 % angle. It's best to use a digi cam so you'll know how it'll turn out. It takes me 20 - 30 shots to get a good one. ;o; Position is good, but my smile is always bad. Haha.