PDA

View Full Version : Convention Center

dExtrosien
05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I was just curious if anyone here has ever been to the Convention Center before. I was wondering how different things might be from the hotels. It'd be great if there was a nicer/larger stage set up. Also, what about parking? My boyfriend works in downtown near VCU, but it's a bit too far to walk especially in costume at night. :lost:

keep the faith,
dex

xinababo
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I heard parking was 11 bucks daily =T

Darth Takeo
05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
11 bucks a day is cheap compared to some places.

Last 2 cons I stayed at were $20+ a day to park, but it was overnight in hotel valet parking..

GreatSG
05-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Are the hotel and the con center together or seperate? And if so on the latter, does the hotel also charge parking?

Kaoshima
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
depends on which hotel, there's a hotel connected to the convention center, and there's another one a couple blocks away, however unfortunately, I know nothing of the parking fee for either hotel.

AnimatedPoison
05-12-2006, 05:23 PM
depends on which hotel, there's a hotel connected to the convention center, and there's another one a couple blocks away, however unfortunately, I know nothing of the parking fee for either hotel.

Parking fees are listed on AMA's website.

Marriot:
On-site parking: $11 daily
Valet parking: $14 daily

Crowne Plaza:
On-site parking: $10 daily
Valet parking: $14 daily

dExtrosien
05-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah, duh. I forgot about looking more closely at the Convention Center's website. Parking is $6 a day. It says that is 7am-7pm, but it may be extended. See the following link for more. Thanks for the responses. I still wonder what the stage for the cosplay will be like.

http://www.richmondcenter.com/main/parking.asp

inuyashasgurl
05-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Well you could stay in a room at the Richmond Mariott hotel.It says that they have a skywalk going to the center.Maybe i read wrong. But go on the convention website and check the hotels around maybe they will have a skywalk hooking to the convention center.

samt03
05-12-2006, 11:35 PM
The skywalk goes from the hotel, to the parking deck, then to the convention center, it's just faster to walk across the street.
(I have some pics of the outside of the convention center and the hotel/sky walks if anyone wants to see them. {I just need to find the cd there on})

UnwantedKikyo
05-13-2006, 04:12 PM
yeah i just went there for prom and it'd be easier to walk across the street i think : / and its pretty big and spacious. Theres a hotel right next to the parking deck i forget if it was a marriot or sheraton but i'd say that was the best bet on getting there quickly. but all the hotels are moderatly close.

me myself im not going. I just know how big it is and such now from prom. hahah

Tikki
05-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah, duh. I forgot about looking more closely at the Convention Center's website. Parking is $6 a day. It says that is 7am-7pm, but it may be extended. See the following link for more. Thanks for the responses. I still wonder what the stage for the cosplay will be like.

http://www.richmondcenter.com/main/parking.asp

I don't know the exact dimensions but the Tech crew has assured me that it's bigger than last year's stage... And since that stage managed to hold an enormous Fushigi Yuugi group of like... 20(?) cosplayers, that means it's plenty big.
Tikki

dizzylizzy
05-21-2006, 01:01 AM
I don't know the exact dimensions but the Tech crew has assured me that it's bigger than last year's stage... And since that stage managed to hold an enormous Fushigi Yuugi group of like... 20(?) cosplayers, that means it's plenty big.
Tikki

But only 7 of us at a time. lmao Oh... and some flags. :: grins::

We've been practicing with last year's measurements (which I believe was like 16 x 32.) 5 feet on each side. If it's bigger, it's all cool. A little adjusting and we're set. So my sugegstions for people who want to know the dimensions is use the above and add some feet. Each practice add a different amount so that there are no big surprises when you arrive at the con.

And... now I think I threw the thread off topic. ^^;;

dExtrosien
05-21-2006, 06:56 PM
But only 7 of us at a time. lmao Oh... and some flags. :: grins::

We've been practicing with last year's measurements (which I believe was like 16 x 32.) 5 feet on each side. If it's bigger, it's all cool. A little adjusting and we're set. So my sugegstions for people who want to know the dimensions is use the above and add some feet. Each practice add a different amount so that there are no big surprises when you arrive at the con.

And... now I think I threw the thread off topic. ^^;;

Actually, not I was kind of looking for some of this information. Thanks. :bigtu: Bigger will help with what we're trying to do so it's good to know.