PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay events info!

Tikki
05-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey, just shouting out in general to the cosplaying masses. I'm the cosplay events coordinator for AMA (Richmond, June 16th-18th) and I wanted to make a general announcements on the events and panels we'll be hosting this year. For those planning on attending our convention, please check out our panels this year!

Masquerade:
As yet, the registration forms will be available either near Registration or the Info table. This is the Saturday night skit/costume contest. Registration closes at noon on Saturday. All contestants are required to attend the Rehearsal from 12PM-1:30PM in Main Events. Craftsmanship judging is optional, to be noted on the registration sheets.

Masquerade Schedule Info:
-Rehearsal (MANDATORY): 12-1:30
-Pre-Judging: 4:30-6:00
-Line-up: 6:30-7:00
-Seating for Cosplay starts at 7:30
-Cosplay runs 8:00-10:00

Hall Costume Contest: For those interested in costume competition out of the stage limelight, this is a good contest. Last year we nearly tripled our numbers of competitors (and twice as many as the Masquerade?!?!) This year we're using skill divisions for the first time in the Hall Contest, so we'll see how that goes. Registration for this contest is on site, in the designated room within the program book.
Friday: Part one of the Hall Contest, it runs from 7 PM to 9 PM.
Saturday: Part two of the Hall Contest, it runs from 1 PM - 3 PM.

Cosplay Panels:
Friday:
Cosplay Q&A--Basic cosplay info panel with two purposes. First, I'll be there to answer any questions about the cosplay contests (both Hall and Masquerade) with registration forms and copies of the rules. The rest of the panelists will discuss anything cosplay-related with the audience. It's slated for mid-Friday afternoon, from 4PM-5PM.

Saturday:
Advanced Cosplay Technique Workshop: We have three experienced cosplayers bringing samples of their costumes, providing demonstrations of more complicated sewing/craft techniques, and followed by a short teaching session. The workshop runs two hours and some of the topics being bantered about with the panelists include: beadwork, hand embroidery, and applique with spandex. Materials will be provided for attendees to practice with. It's set for 10AM-12PM.

Presentation Panel--A brief overview of skits and stagework. This is in Main Events and will run only from 11:30-12:00. It then turns into the Cosplay Rehearsal from 12-1:30 PM.

Sunday
Cosplay Suggestion Box--I'm leaving a suggestion box with the Masquerade registration forms for con attendees to leave suggestions over the weekend on what they would like to see in regards to AMA's cosplay events. I'm looking for new ideas, serious criticisms, anything really, so we can spark a good discussion panel at the end of the con. I'll be there with most of my staff. I really want feedback on how the contests are going!

We have a panel on Group Cosplay planned but I do not have the write-up or times for that panel . Panelists will be discussing the ins and outs, the ups and downs... :) of group cosplay. There's also a Kimono panel (self-explanatory) but no specifics on that one either. Sorry!

So see you guys at the con! Since I finally got around to registering with this site, I'll jump on periodically to read the threads. If you have any questions concerned AMA's cosplay events, let me know!
Tikki:)

Tikki
05-20-2006, 09:47 PM
We really would like to see a good group of folks for our Workshop, so to entice you guys, we've got some sewing/craft goodies to give away to a few lucky attendees! Free stuff is always cool!
Tikki

NeoLunaAngel
05-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I can't wait for the Advanced Technique Workshop...I really need to learn how to work with spandex. Is it applique creation using spandex, or working with spadex in general?

See you at AMA!

Tikki
05-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Jen's planning on demonstrating applique using spandex, so sewing spandex on spandex. She works professionally at a place that makes hi-grade leotards and suits for gymnastics, ice skating, etc. I'm actually hyped cause I want to see it in action myself.
Tikki

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
how many people are allowed entry to the hall cosplay contest on Saturday? Also is it combined judging (meaning an overall winner...no Friday Winner, Saturday Winner)?

Thanks! I think those are the only questions i need answered...oh, one more.

This is my first AMA, what time should arrive to have a possibilty of getting judged? An hour before? two? I guess the question is if hall cosplay is a VERY popular event? (i think you somewhat answered this when you said it had more entries then the masq. o.O)

dizzylizzy
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Anytime I go for judging I show up 30 minutes prior to secure a spot. I've competed in the AMA hall contest 3 times and it seems to be popular. : ) This year I'll be on the other side of the table. Hope to see ya there!

Tikki
06-06-2006, 09:02 AM
There is no limit on Hall Costume entries. However, we will shut the doors, so to speak, 10-15 minutes prior to the end of the 2-hour time slots. This will allow the judges to finish with whoever's already waiting their turn and to clean up for the next panel in the room.
There's a Best Friday, Best Saturday, Best of Weekend and then honorable mentions for costumes within skill divisions for both Friday and Saturday. So we've got more awards than last year's contest. And yes, it's definitely a popular contest! More than three times the entries of the Masquerade...
Tikki

Atrista
06-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Oh, now I really can't wait for AMA! Sounds like there are some top notch cosplay panels going on!

Tikki
06-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Just a friendly reminder to check out our panels. We do have some door prizes to raffle off in the Adv. Sewing Workshop on Saturday, as well as some other top-notch panels throughout the weekend.
There's a forum on Sunday to discuss AMA's cosplay events, so if you have any suggestions, please join us!
Tikki

Parasaurolophus
06-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I had a quick question about the Hall cosplay. I'm confused about the statement on the website:

*PLEASE NOTE: any costume worn as a hall costume prior to the Cosplay cannot be entered in the Cosplay Costume Contest.

This refers to the Masquerade/Cosplay Costume Contest, right? Unfortunately, I haven't finished any of my new competition-worthy outfits, but I still want to get practice being judged. Can I wear a costume I've competed with in the past for the Hall cosplay contest?

I'll definitely be at the advanced sewing workshop- I need a swift kick in the sewing pants to get myself working again (and learning some new techniques would be great)

Necrobug
03-31-2007, 01:42 PM
So will people be able to register for the masquerade online as well or is this taking place strictly at the convention itself?

Ryuu_
03-31-2007, 10:05 PM
So will people be able to register for the masquerade online as well or is this taking place strictly at the convention itself?

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. I know that you had to register at the con last year so most likely it will be the same. I'd just make sure to register soon after arriving to the con.

Gogglegirl
03-31-2007, 10:18 PM
ummm....for the masqurade rehearsal....do you have stay for the whole thing? or just for your little part? I know that rehearsal isnt' that long...I'm just wondering.

Star_Angel
04-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't think info for the mas. has been posted the dates of the above info are from last year.

dizzylizzy
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Yah. ^^;;; Ummm, this is for last year. Tikki is currently working on this year and it will be up soon. I'm sure she will make a new thread for it. Also, I know there is information at AMA's website that was recently posted for Hall and Masq. Check it out. ^^

You don't have to stay for the whole rehearsal. You practice your skit and head on out.

Gogglegirl
04-01-2007, 10:44 PM
You don't have to stay for the whole rehearsal. You practice your skit and head on out.

Thank you~! ^^

SunDemyxCloud55
04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
For the Skit's Do we have to make out own costume's?? Yes I'am buying Rikku's from Ebay and Making Blue's and Tifa's

Tanuki-San
04-08-2007, 12:27 PM
yes yes, the point of the cosplay that some people miss (including myself in the beginning) is that it's a costume competition, therein implying it's a piece of work created by you and worn by you and then taken all the way to the stage to be shown off.

don't worry though, there are tons of people who don't make their own costumes, it's still fun to dress up and interact and pose for pictures ^_____^

samt03
04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I thought in the posted rules it said that someone could enter their skit but they would only be allowed to compete for the Cosplay contest, not the craftmenship contest.

Ok, now I have a question about the Hall Costume contest. I already asked the first part via e-mail but I have a second question. I was told if I make someone a costume and enter them/they enter into the Hall Costume contest it would be fine as long as I was with them and they just acted like a model. It would be me entering and answering questions them just model it. Now if I make everything but once piece and they make that one tiny thing for their costume can the costume still be entered if both of us are there and we mention that? Or should I tell her not to make it and just make it myself?

Tikki
04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
SunDemyxCloud55: Yes, you can enter the Masquerade in your bought costume as long as you do NOT check the box for craftsmanship judging on the registration. I have two panels of judges and the presentation judges don't worry where you got your costume. They only care about your performance. The craftsmanship judges WILL care about the small details and construction of any costume that is entered for craftsmanship judging. Just as doing a skit is optional (you can do a walk-on, instead), so is getting your costume judged. Just fill in the registration form correctly...

Samt03: You still need to be there with your friend to discuss the costume with the judges. It would be nice if she makes something for her costume, but not necessary. She just CANNOT have her costume judged without you there, as you're the maker of her outfit. And really, this applies to either the Hall Contest or the Masquerade. I will accept entries that are "models" for someone's costumes as long as the maker IS PRESENT DURING JUDGING AND THE CONTEST. Be honest with my staff and judges, and I'll have no reason to fuss.
Tikki

samt03
04-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Ok, thanks Tikki I just wanted to be sure if she made that one part it wouldn't interfear with it's ablity to get judged. (I already knew about being there but I couldn't find anything if she did one part).

Lumasnati
04-09-2007, 03:33 PM
One more question... I want to enter the hall costume contest with Byakko. But.. there is NO WAY in Heaven or Earth that the person who helped me make it can attend the convention.... I helped put the costume together.... I got some of the accessories that went with the costume. But what can I do if I still want it to be judged?

Tikki
04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Thing is, the judges look at the quality of the costume and the skill that went into it. When you're costume was made by another person, they can't really discuss the work and techniques with you. And when it comes to recognition and awards, the judges will chose other contestants who did make their costumes over someone that just made bits and pieces. Kinda defeats the purpose of competing...

Now, are you interested in getting on stage? I'd say go for a skit or something, since presentation judges will look at your ability to resemble and behave like your character.
Tikki

Lumasnati
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I can give them some detail about the costume, but not that much. ^^;; And I get TOTAL stage fright. I'd die. XD

I do thank you for your help, Tiki. <3 I really appreciate it.