PDA

View Full Version : In need of a new digi cam : what one do you suggest?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blue Eternity
05-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm looking into getting a new Digi cam... and I was wondering what one everyone suggests are the best/most economical!
I would like to use it not only for taking pictures in cosplay, but for just taking pics of things too. ^^ I've never bought one before, I've always used my sisters.... yeah, so I'm not really super educated on camaras. ^^;

I'd love some answers, I'm going to Japan and Alaska this summer in July and I'd like to be able to take pics there. X3 Thanks!

Grace

Jenward_1911
05-21-2006, 01:10 PM
check you PMs (i sent you ideas!)

staereo
05-21-2006, 02:35 PM
The biggest question here, and I *hate* asking it because I feel like a car salesman, is how much would you like to spend on the digicam?

Everyone always has a range in mind. Maybe a desirable range, then a stretch-max range.

Some basic points that are often made here:
1) dpreview.com fredmiranda.com steves-digicams.com kenrockwell.com (Thanks, Eriol for the last two which I didn't previously post)
2) No need to have features you dont plan on using.
3) Get enough features to allow you to grow a little with your skill.
4) Megapixel count has become an overused marketing ploy. While a spec that you should consider, megapixels are not what makes the camera.
5) A camera is a personal choice. You are the one using it, and you are the one that has to like it. Check out sample images, as the image sensors and processors all record light with their own personality. Find a personality that matches yours.
6) If you have the ability to go hold the camera that you think you want, and try it out in your hands do so. Even if you dont end up buying it in person.
7) No need to rush into things.
8) Take everyone's singular advice with a grain of salt, and listen to advice that you hear a lot of.

Some related threads found in this forum:
Debate over material body is built with. http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=79241
Ziggy's link to reasons to purchase a dSLR: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=96514

Debate over the relavency of megapixels in camera's today: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=79104

General Camera buying:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=78885
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=72764

Bruce

ruexbluesummer
05-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I've used these brands: minolta, canon, nikon, sony.

My favorite by far is canon. hasn't failed me yet. :)
The other ones were alright... but the model I had for minolta (f100) was pretty slow. Good quality, but it took forever to take a shot.

Especially for travelling, you might want something more compact. Having a huge lense is nice, but not very economical for travellers.

I really like the canon powershot SD series:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=12913

Good luck finding your camera!

Eriol
05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Some basic points that are often made here:
1) dpreview.com fredmiranda.com

I would like to add steves-digicams.com and kenrockwell.com to that list.

EDIT: When buying a camera, research as much as you can. (I did not mean that Staereo researches as much as he can. He already knows a good amount about cameras. heh)

staereo
05-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Edited my list, thanks Eriol, good ones that I didn't think about in my hasty reply.

Bruce

Mestrella
06-01-2006, 04:29 PM
It depents what you are trying to do. i would go for canon digital cameras. I've come across many cameras already and canon is great. you can also try nikon and olympus. I'm referring to SLR typ of cameras. if point and shoot cameras i'd go with canon only. Sony is over rated. they may have thin ones but picture quality is better with canon.

finalfantsy86
06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
A Sony cyber-shot is fantastic...but it cost $200+....

saiga
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM
So you are into photography? Then join the club!
Well, as for a kickstart, allow me to introduce you to the Canon family*yeah, I'm a Canonian* - the Powershot series ranging from 4 to 8 megapixels with AF and various settings similiar to an entry level SLR. However, it has it's limatations but you're still able to gather nice shots from it. Infact, it's a good travel camera!

more details:
www.canon.com

deleriumx
06-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I am not sure if anyone reads this thread anymore, but i didnt want to start a whole new "what camera should i buy?" thread. so here goes

i am looking for a slight upgrade to my current camera and am having trouble deciding between two models that i have read are very good; Canon 30D and the Nikon D200.

You can view the stats on both side by side here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos30d%2Cnikon_d200%2Coly_c8080wz&show=all

the Olympus on the left is my current camera, which is very good, i just wanted to upgrade to an SLR.

On one hand, the Nikon has a higher megapixel rating, but i've heard that isn't a good reason to buy a camera. Canon has an outstanding reputation, and one of my photographer friends has the 30D and takes wonderful pictures with it.

So how can i choose??

staereo
06-22-2006, 05:43 PM
I will straight up say this. This WILL turn into a Canon vs. Nikon flame war if people let it go that way. Typically users of each brand are very loyal to their camera. They are both great pieces of equipment. But just about any advice youre going to read by anyone on this subject, no matter how it uses facts to make points, will ultimately be subjective.

I suggest taking a few shots with each one, reviewing pictures taken by both in online galleries, and actually holding one. Also look at lenses, and what you may want, and the quality/price of each. Find out which one fits you better.

Im not going to bother arguing specs back and forth, as it is just a waste of time for everyone. I suggest my objective advice.

That said, canon is the camera that fits me personally. Others choose Nikon. *shrug* The choice is in your own feel for it.

Rest assured, they will both fill the same role, in the same capacity, and the same great quality.

Bruce

jtnishi
06-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Staereo's dead on. And since you're starting from an Olympus, you don't have the automatic bias toward one or the other by virtue of having lenses already. The only reason I went with Canon at the time was because they had done an upgrade on the low end (the Rebel XT), plus I already had a friend or two on Canon who I could borrow lenses from.

I suspect you'll like either camera. The two cameras are very competitive with each other. However, make sure to prove it to yourself first.

Beyond that, I say go with whichever system will allow you to acquire the best lenses you can for them the fastest. For example, if you happen to live near a place that stocks a lot of good used Nikon lenses at a reasonable price, I'd say you'd be better off going Nikon. If, on the other hand, for example, you have a bunch of friends that you know are trying to get rid of good Canon lenses, maybe going Canon would be best. By habit, I know that Nikon lenses tend to have a lower resale value than Canon lenses, so Canon lenses hold their value better, but that also means that used Nikon lenses tend to be cheaper in price than used Canon lenses. And both produce some excellent lenses. If you're unopposed to buying used lenses, and you have access to a shop near you that sells used Nikon lenses that you can try out, then I'd suggest looking at that D200 closer.

I'll wish you the best of luck with your choice. You probably can't go wrong either way, and the forums will almost certainly be looking forward to your future contributions.

gmontem
06-23-2006, 11:48 AM
If you still cannot decide on the camera system to adopt, go for a Canon if you like to be subject to those sophomoric jokes. Wow your "Canon" is so... big! Sorry I couldn't help myself. >> <<

Eriol
06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
You can't go wrong with either. Canon and Nikon compete intensely in the DSLR market. Comeptition is good.

You can also read this:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_30D_compared.html

As others mentioned, you should go to a store that has demos of the two cameras and try them out. Besides specs, sometimes the feel of the camera is important too.

I can't independently verify jtnishi's lens resale statement, so you should not base your decision on that kind of information.

The Nikon D200 is currently in short supply at many retailers. Either Nikon is intentionally constricting supply, or they can't keep up with the demand. You may end up getting a Canon 30D, because you may not be able to get the Nikon D200...Nikon's loss.

Disclaimer: I'm a Nikon user.

staereo
06-23-2006, 12:53 PM
... my jedi powers sense disturbance brewing in the balance .... ; ;

Anime London
06-30-2006, 11:23 PM
I would say your first digicam will be the one you'll be learning what not to buy next time. :) Your first of will always be learning camera so it's wise not to spend too much on it. Concidering about one third to one half of what you spend on the equipment will go into batteries, media and accessories. Even worse if you buy a camera that uses regular batteries.

Still this is a camcorder. The real problem is availibility of parts like batteries since most are made just for certain line of that model. You are going to need more than one battery. I barely got by with just 2 at the last Anime North masquerade.

Don't bother with 8mm or non-digital formats. They're on the way out.

Didn't have money for miniDVD camcorder. Considering that miniDVD are non -reuseable and only 30 minutes. I had fun changing tapes and batteries in the dark as it was.

GOOD optic zoom. Forget digital zoom. Get a tripod unless you like holding your arm up for 2 hours and anti-shake only goes SO far.

Always blank first 30 sec of the tape. I tried shooting right off the bat and video tracking screwed up on playback. LABEL YOUR TAPES AHEAD OF TIME! Tape 1, tape 2... and once you used up the tape, switch the write protect tab ON! Needless to say buy bulk unless it's a new brand you haven't tried. My Samsung SC-DC353 does NOT like Fuiji brand.

Practice goes a LONG way. Most digital camcorder support flash memory. Get largest memory that _IS_ for your camcorder and play with the settings. Not only that, digital camcorders double as cameras.

You want to compare camcorders this is excellent way. Buy small size memory card for camcorder you're looking at. Get a multi-flash card reader. (Make sure it's supports the memory you're getting.) Go to camera store and ask the clerk if you can use YOUR memory and take a few clips at the counter. take a few stills (pictures). Remember to remove your memory card. (turn off camcorder. take it home and play. Keep in mind that some camcorders have their own codecs even though they say MP4. Samsung does just so you know.

Have fun. Be prepare to be disappointed. After all, what you think you want and what you actualy need will change as you break in the new camcorder.

SolarTempest
08-04-2006, 04:16 PM
On one hand, the Nikon has a higher megapixel rating, but i've heard that isn't a good reason to buy a camera. Canon has an outstanding reputation, and one of my photographer friends has the 30D and takes wonderful pictures with it.

I've seen stellar pictures with both the D200 and the 30D at galleries - more of a testament to the photographers really. Myself, I have had a chance to experiment with the control setup of the D200 and I love it.

If you have friends who are shooting Canon or Nikon, it's convenient to shoot the same brand. I wish I could swap around gear with my friends, but they're shooting either Canon or Minolta.

And megapixels should be among the least of your worries. So many things are more important with cameras at that level.

staereo
08-05-2006, 05:46 PM
And megapixels should be among the least of your worries. So many things are more important with cameras at that level.
:bigtu:

Trelyon
08-15-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm looking into getting a new Digi cam... and I was wondering what one everyone suggests are the best/most economical!

i'm sure you got your cam already... curious which one you picked

~*~*~*~

IMHO... for other peeps... Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S500... Nikon Coolpix L2... Olympus FE-130... Samsung Digimax S500... Canon PowerShot A540... all are 'quasi' economical... and good starters... i've seen many novices end products from those cameras.

I will straight up say this. This WILL turn into a Canon vs. Nikon flame war if people let it go that way. They are both great pieces of equipment.

soooo very true... someone once called this... a tastes great... less filling... argument... ::smirks:: at least not as bad as film vs digital LOL

i used both cams... i like both... then again... i like mac and pc and xbox and ps2 ::shrugs::

- Alex

Usachan
08-15-2006, 09:07 PM
My camera that I take with me and have used at con's a few times is
a HP = Hewlett Packard. My other friend's however are all Sony users.

Hexlord
08-16-2006, 06:03 AM
If you want you can try the Panasonic's range of FZ cameras. You will not go wrong there as they are cheap, highly capable (12x zoom) and easy to use too!

The only issue with these range of cameras are the noise levels but I feel that the pros outweigh the cons. :)

natan
08-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I prefere Sony Cybershots, my digital camera is a Sony Cybershot DCS-P150, 7.2 Mega Pixels (price is now around +$200 I think). I love that baby!! All my photoshoots are taken with that thingy and I take my digital camera everywhere. But Canon is good to !!

Kaorte
09-28-2006, 06:30 PM
nevermind this post XD

Trelyon
09-28-2006, 09:57 PM
nevermind this post XD
Im mainly looking for suggestions on what camera, not suggestions on how i should go about finding one i like XD

1. we do look at old threads ;)

2. okay... then buy a Nikon cool pix P2... or Cannon PowerShot SD800... both have good vibration reduction... if you just want to point and shoot ::snickers::

Kaorte
09-28-2006, 10:46 PM
thank you for your suggestion!

staereo
09-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Kaorte-

I went ahead and did a little searching for you on dpreview.

I did a features search tool from the menu, lookinjg for the following features, as I find them most suitable for what I think you may be interested in, and what may help you to go ahead and get the best images possible.

My search criteria is:

Price (street): US$ 400 or less
Release Status: Not discontinued (current or upcoming)
Image stabilization: Yes
Aperture priority: Yes
Shutter priority: Yes

Price, I chose as it is your price range. I assumed you wanted to buy new. I think image stabilization is a great feature for new shutterbugs and veterans alike. It removes hand-shake. Aperture priority makes shooting those nice blurred background shots easier. Shutter priority is great for capturing action, as you can set the shutter speed and shoot away, not worrying about getting blurred action.

In order of average street price, low to high, here is what I found.

Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7
Sony DSC-H2
Kodak Z612
Canon PowerShot A710 IS
Sony DSC-H1
Canon PowerShot S2 IS
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z6

They all feature 12x optical zoom (around 35mm-420/430ish.) except the a710, that is only a 6x zoom.

Many of the features are similar, here is a link to side by side comparison:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_a710is%2Ccanon_s2is%2Ckodak_z612%2Ck onicaminolta_dimagez5%2Ckonicaminolta_dimagez6%2Cp anasonic_dmcfz4%2Cpanasonic_dmcfz5%2Cpanasonic_dmc fz7%2Csony_dsch1%2Csony_dsch2&camsel=sony_dsch2&show=all

Personally, I've heard GREAT things about the panasonic. I checked out the sample pictures though, and was troubled by two things. 1) they all seem a little bit washed out to me. This could be an ok thing though, as 'exposing to the right' causes this sort of thing. The way image sensors work is by levels of color, decreasing in cound on each level of dynamic range. Technically, slightly overexposed (but not blown out) images can be corrected with more color data than underexposed images. So, perhaps taking those images into photoshop and fixing the colors may yield overall a great exposure. Hard to say, not knowing. The other thing that troubles me about the panasonic is the CA I see where white meets dark. This shows as a small, often purplish line that traces the border. It seems to be in the panasonic images a lot, and thats a little unnerving. It can be seen VERY VERY pronounced here at the head of this bird. (baaaad) http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/panasonicfz7_samples/p1000716.jpg

I will try to leave you to look at the samples yourself so you can form your own opinions. Look for what you like in terms of saturation of colors, contrast, sharpness, bokeh (background blur), color range, noise levels (graininess), and dynamic range (highlights to shadows). These are all proprietary to your the camera you buy, and will define how your images are created. Also, in this case, the following are also built into your camera, by way of an attached lens. CA is that purplish ring around borders of high contrast that I talked about above. Vignetting is where you get darker towards the outer edges of your images. Distortion (Barrel or otherwise) is where your image is distorted from what it looks like in real life. Also, contrast and resolving power have a lot to do with the glass on your camera.

Ultimately, at the place you are in your photography endeavors, you should be choosing a camera based on what the camera does for you and how it fits you. Dont be so concerned over accuracy of a camera, and worry more about what YOU find pleasing.

Even myself, buying canon for my choice in cameras, know that canon does NOT produce the most accurate colors of the choices available in the dSLR class I purchase in. But, I enjoy the saturated vibrant colors that it offers more than I enjoy real life colors. Something that comes from me using films like velvia back in the day of film.

Soooo, hold the camera in your hands, try it out, check out the images it produces (not on an LCD, i mean look at them on your monitor or in print, at high resolution). You'll know the camera you like when you hold it and when you see those images. You'll just FEEL it fit right to you.

Bruce :bigtu:

animelover9909
09-29-2006, 09:15 AM
the only one I can suggest is a Fuji film finepix camera. its easy to use but helpful hint... DONT LOOSE THE USB CABLE! they are really hard to find and im still looking T.T;;

staereo
09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
the only one I can suggest is a Fuji film finepix camera. its easy to use but helpful hint... DONT LOOSE THE USB CABLE! they are really hard to find and im still looking T.T;;

All fujifilm digital cameras are now referred to as finepix... if you want to check to see which one you have, I may be able to help you out.

Bruce

Kaorte
09-29-2006, 08:59 PM
thank you for all your help! I think I will end up getting a Panasonic one because they have rechargable batteries. One thing i hated about my old camera is that i had to change the batteries so often. Thank you all so much ^_^ it helped me alot XD

staereo
09-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Very cool, Kaorte! Just so you know, they all accept or include rechargable batteries from that list. NiMH for the panasonics, Lithium for some others, all at the bottom.

Can't wait to see the pictures, no matter what you choose!

Kaorte
09-29-2006, 11:12 PM
I will indeed post pictures, because i will be taking a bazzillion the minute i get it :D

animelover9909
09-30-2006, 05:01 PM
I'll keep that in mind and I didnt know that

staereo
09-30-2006, 05:48 PM
lol did you know the model of your camera? perhaps we can help you find one

itsumouTRiiKY
10-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Get a HARAJUKU CAM! My friend got one off of Ebay.. but I don't know if that's such a reliable place to go &get it...

smzeldarules
10-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Grace!! XD Hiii. I suggest somethin' Sony! We're like a Sony digital camera family here lol

Kaorte
10-13-2006, 06:55 AM
well, i got a panasonic lumix DMC-FZ7. It works very nicely and i love it :D. once i take some good pictures i will post them :D

staereo
10-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Congratulations, I look forward to seeing them!

Bruce

Panda.
10-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Mine is pretty sexy. It's an Olympus FE-190, it's thin, doesn't eat batteries, and is 6 MP. :]

Aphexmatt
10-14-2006, 10:34 PM
I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z1000 and I love it.
Its 10.1 Mega-pixels(3648x2736), at that resolution w/ my 2gig card in it I can take 692 pictures. In 2 Mega-pixel(1600x1200) reso i can take 2363 pictures! (It has modes in between) Also I can take 27 mins of HQ (640x480) video, 45 mins of 'Normal' (640x480) or close to 2 hours of LP (320x240) video. It has an internal memory but the SD cards are just so cheap now its worth it to have one. It has many picture modes in the 'Best Shot' menu, even filters you would find in Photoshop. I love this camera and the price was pretty good too from B&H photo.

Caramelly
10-15-2006, 09:48 AM
I got too cam.
1 Nikon 35mm af nikkor, a cam over 600$ value,, with zoom and all different fonction.

and i just bought one last night a DIGI cam Kodak 10Xzoom Z650 ^_^ good for evening and nights and days, maybe function for when u take picture in the show, my friend took a lovely pic of the moon and you could see the shapes in the moon :O

Sipo
10-15-2006, 01:12 PM
I typically use dSRL/SLR, but we (family here) just accumulated a Canon Powershot A640, and WOW! It's a fantastic point and shoot!! CHECK IT OUT! ^__^ (What can I say? We collect cameras. Not everyone in my home is the 'serious photographer' so we need range. :))

Again, very pleased with this camera. :D

staereo
10-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I typically use dSRL/SLR, but we (family here) just accumulated a Canon Powershot A640, and WOW! It's a fantastic point and shoot!! CHECK IT OUT! ^__^ (What can I say? We collect cameras. Not everyone in my home is the 'serious photographer' so we need range. :))

Again, very pleased with this camera. :D

I like this post. Unfortunately I don't know how to better say it than that. I, too, have a point and shoot in the house, and both my family AND I use it on a regular basis. There is a niche for every piece of equipment, great and small. :bigtu:

Trelyon
10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Canon Powershot A640, and WOW! It's a fantastic point and shoot!! Again, very pleased with this camera. :D

nods... agreed... seen nice stuff from it

There is a niche for every piece of equipment, great and small. :bigtu:

:) very true

pro with awesome SLR cam... and tons of $$$$ lens... do get tired of carrying 80lbs of equipments around... so most have a 35mm point and shoot... weight less than 0.50 lbs that fits nicely in the shirt pocket... for the lazy days ;)

i like the canon powershot sd700

- Alex

Alexia Ishtar
10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Now that I have some kind of financial support I can finally buy a camera (new one) I have been using Olympus for a while so I have a surplus of XD cards instead of SD cards.

I was thinking about getting the Olympus E500 from Futureshop (since right now not only is it on sale but it comes with two lenses for $899) I'm wondering if this is a good deal or if I should simply bite the bullet and switch to SD and buy perhaps a different brand?

Test Type
10-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Now that I have some kind of financial support I can finally buy a camera (new one) I have been using Olympus for a while so I have a surplus of XD cards instead of SD cards.

I was thinking about getting the Olympus E500 from Futureshop (since right now not only is it on sale but it comes with two lenses for $899) I'm wondering if this is a good deal or if I should simply bite the bullet and switch to SD and buy perhaps a different brand?

If I were you I would look around for the best camera to suit my needs and then buy that along with the appropriate media if necessary.

Actually if you choose a model with SD or CF you will find that you will find that you have a much wider choice of cards, offering higher capacities for less money than the proprietary xD system.

Personally I wouldn't buy into the 4/3 system for a number of reasons but if after looking around you think it is the one for you, then fine but do take a good look at what else is on offer.

BTW is that $899 Canadian?

Alexia Ishtar
10-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Yes, it's Canadian and thanks for the advice. I'm by no means commited to this camera at all. I was just thinking since I have a lot of XD cards if it would be worth it. But if SD is better I might just take the leap and switch.

Test Type
10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Yes, it's Canadian and thanks for the advice. I'm by no means commited to this camera at all. I was just thinking since I have a lot of XD cards if it would be worth it. But if SD is better I might just take the leap and switch.

Hi Alexia,

I wouldn't focus on the storage system too much. All the Olympus DSLRs will take the cheaper, faster, larger Compact Flash cards. If you were to buy the E-500 and shoot high quality JPEGs your files would be about 5MB each and if you were to shoot RAW your files would be about 13MB each so you would probably want to buy new storage media anyway.

Since you will be buying into a camera system you should make sure that you are not only happy with the camera body but also what is offered by the system as a whole because once you get in and start buying other system specific items it can be very expensive to change.

However being comfortable with the body you are using is also important and I would suggest that as a first step you try all the cameras that are within your price range if you havenít already done so, preferably side by side, and see if there are any that you really like or dislike. You may find that you donít like the viewfinder of the E-500 and that you really want more than 3 AF points or that you donít like the grip of the Canon 350D/400D etc, etc.

Jadenyuki
10-29-2006, 07:47 AM
It depends on what you want to do with the pictures. Most of the the point and shoots will do fine. When people purchase the slr they pay a lot of money for the digitals and do not use it as often as the plan. I think for cosplay pictures olympus, kodak fugi and others will be fine but make sure it is at least 3.0 Mega pixels.

Oklahoma
10-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Ok, my tips for buying a new camera. What I have always suggested to people is to go into a store that has a lot of the different cameras sitting out for you to look at and start looking at them. Don't let the sales people start to help you as they are trying to make a sale and it interfeers with you looking at the different cameras. Another thing is DO NOT look at the price of the cameras (I will go into this later). Start looking at them and figuring out what you like and what you want in a camera, not what one offers over another but overall what you like. Start to narrow down your search and look at specific cameras that have what you previously decided you want in a camera. Once you have a list of cameras you like with the features you like now look at the price of those cameras. If your top camera is in your budget you can be pretty confident what to get. If none are then start looking at some of the lower models and start figuring out what you are willing to not have to have a camera within your budget.

Another thing you can do is get a small memory card say 32MB or something cheap and put it into the cameras you are looking at and take pictures in the store and then take the memory card home and compare the pictures. This gives you a good idea of how each camera takes pictures and how they will look once taken. For this it is a good idea to pick the same subject with each camera, say a sign or something like that so all the pictures are of the same thing and you aren't comparing different things when you look at the pictures.

With SLR's unless you already have lenses for one maker look at all of them and find what you like. If you already have the lenses it is a lot cheaper to stay with the same maker than to switch.

Just my $0.02

staereo
10-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Another thing you can do is get a small memory card say 32MB or something cheap and put it into the cameras you are looking at and take pictures in the store and then take the memory card home and compare the pictures. This gives you a good idea of how each camera takes pictures and how they will look once taken. For this it is a good idea to pick the same subject with each camera, say a sign or something like that so all the pictures are of the same thing and you aren't comparing different things when you look at the pictures.

This advice is invaluable. As suggested, do your best to set everything to the same settings. (Presumably auto, since about every digital camera has an auto setting.)

Any shop worth buying from will HELP you do this.

In fact, any shop worth its weight will not only help you, but may offer a grey card to set a custom wb, and they will even probably do so FOR you upon request.

GOOD advice.

Bruce

EDIT: It has been my personal experience that I have come out ahead in the long run by spending the extra 20-50 bucks here and there by going to a shop that is helpful. I find that the helpful nature of these shops lead to a willingness to *bend* warranty rules when you come in with equipment that you bought from them. So far, my shop has swapped any bad pieces of equipment with brand new pieces off the shelf. Even months and months and months after purchase. Granted, I keep all my photographic equipment's boxes, and I take VERY VERY good care of my equipment, so when broken, it still appears new. This allows the shop a little more leverage in taking it back for a new piece hot-swap. Anyways, point is, a helpful photo store can be worth the extra money you spend. The relationship could very well benefit you in the future. One nice thing about my relationship with my local shop is that I can order specialty things over the phone, with no money down. Makes my life easier, even if its just a consumable item.

Hyura
10-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not planning on becoming an official photographer or anything, I just want a decent point and shoot camera for cosplaying and such. I was hoping for something that could take decent in-door pictures, but I heard you'd have to be willing to spend $1,000+ for a camera like that. Definatly out of my price range. So now I suppose my biggest concerns are whether I can find a camera that has some kind of anti-shake (or at least doesn't blur easily) and as many megapixels as possible for $100 to $200.

Unfortunatly, I know absolutely nothing about digital cameras and this will be my first one. ><; I'm not even sure how memory cards/SD cards work or what type I'm supposed to buy.
Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000EMWBT2/ref=cm_rev_next/104-3241452-3016767?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=502394&s=photo&customer-reviews.start=11) I was looking at the Canon cameras, and I was considering buying one of them. (I liked that one in the link the best) But I honestly have no idea which would suit me. I was just wondering if I could get any other advice before I make a purchase? I'm a newbie and I don't want to regret spending my savings on a camera that I won't like.

Oklahoma
10-29-2006, 02:59 PM
I would take a look at the following link and plug in what you want in a camera and then take the list and start looking at them in stores. I would never buy a camera without looking at it first to see if you like it or not.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

You don't have to spend 1000 dollars on a camera that can take good indoor shots. Most of it is in your technique. I would suggest looking up what different things mean in photography and what they do to an image and then see how to change them in your camera, auto can only go so far and sometimes you need to trick to camera to get the picture to come out right or just tell it what to do. Once you learn how to use your camera you can take some really incredible shots.

Both of the following were taken with a $300 Sony Cybershot point and shoot.
http://www.geocities.com/bubster123/images/DSC01182small.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bubster123/images/DSC01232small.jpg

Silent_Guardian
11-12-2006, 09:22 PM
I sorta have a question for cameras too... I'm not really experienced with cameras or anything so whatever I get I'd want to be pretty user-friendly ^_^; I want a nice digital camera for con photos, but I'd like to take video too since I have some cosplay skit ideas I'd like to make a reality. My friend has a camera that takes both pictures and some video, but only a few minutes worth and I'd love to be able to film stuff going on at the cons too. Is it worth trying to find something that does both, or better to have them seperate? I asked for a digital camera for Christmas and I'd like to be able to say exactly what I want instead of letting someone else decide for me.

Uchiha Sakura
11-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm needing to get a digi camera for my upcoming photography class. I was told that it had to have an ajustable lense and had to be 4mm or greater. I will be useing it for that class, cosplay and every day photos. Any ideas on what type to get? i kinda want one that is nice but not too expencive. lol. Thanks for your help.

staereo
11-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Is it worth trying to find something that does both, or better to have them seperate? I asked for a digital camera for Christmas and I'd like to be able to say exactly what I want instead of letting someone else decide for me.

Consider it a rule of thumb that dedicated technologies have a higher potential for quality in their respective abilities than a piece of equipment that was multi-function.

Considering that rule, it really depends on the quality you are looking for and the amount you want to spend. Sometimes the level of performance that a multi-function tool offers is sufficient in all of its functions to fulfill your needs.

Whether it is cheaper to buy two pieces of equipment rather than a single multifunction item with the same performance in it's functions is a matter of shopping and checking specifications.

Checking http://www.dpreview.com/ will aid you in that respect.

I was told that it had to have an ajustable lense and had to be 4mm or greater. I will be useing it for that class, cosplay and every day photos. Any ideas on what type to get? i kinda want one that is nice but not too expencive.

First of all, a lens that is 4mm is outrageously wide. In fact, off the top of my head, I don't even know who makes a 4mm lens. Palang makes an 8mm lens, but that isn't even brand-af compatable, it is manual focus only, I think, and it was originally developed by russia for industrial and military use. Canon offers a 15mm fisheye lens that is capable of 180 degree viewing. SO, saying all that, I would honestly say that you should have no trouble picking up ANY camera and using it.

NOW, if the prof. meant 40mm, that would seem more logical, as you can readily purchase lenses wider than 40mm. So you may want to check on that. Furthermore, you may want to ask if the prof. wants you to have a camera where the ACTUAL focal length was over 40mm, or if the field of view equivalant AFTER the image sensor crop needs to be over 40mm.

Either way, another question is what you mean by adjustable lens. Adjusting a lens could mean a zoom lens, to let you zoom in and out with your focal length; or it could mean something that allowed you to attach filters, something with a tilt-shift capability, or it could be something that had a soft focus adjustment. It even could mean that you would like interchangable lenses, or something as basic as a capablity to control aperture. So without more details, it's hard to know what you're looking for.

Incidently, reading this thread and following the links posted would likely give you a nice helping hand towards finding your camera. :bigtu:

Bruce

Oklahoma
11-19-2006, 06:45 AM
I have actually found that there is no reference on the focal length of digi-cams. I have found though that in general they are listed in 35mm terms. So in a nutshell if the lens of a digi-cam was on a 35mm camera the focal length would be 4mm. Because the sensor size is so much smaller than that of a 35mm one the same crop factor applies as with DSLR cameras. Even for a digi-cam that is rather wide. Many I see are around 7mm or so.

Just for a reference I will explain what I mean by everything is still listed in 35mm terms by using the following picture.
http://www.geocities.com/bubster123/images/DSC01232small.jpg

If I pull up the shot information it says that the image was taken at 14mm. Now the picture is nowhere near wide enough to be a 14mm shot. So we take the sensor size of 7.18 x 5.32 mm and find how big it is in relation to a 35mm frame. The sony sensor is .1995 times as big as a 35mm frame so this means that it has a crop factor of about 5x. If we multiply the crop factor by the focal length the shot was taken at a 35mm equivalent of 70mm, a lot more believable.

So what 4mm becomes when you take into account the crop factor, which completely depends on the sensor size, is about anywhere from 15-20mm as a 35mm equivalent; still fairly wide.

Now this also comes down to are you talking about just a digi-cam or a digital SLR. And also what needs to be adjustable on the camera? Zoom, focus, aperture, etc... To get some of these features in a digi-cam you are looking at a decent price and would be better off usually trying to find a used DSLR. I would ask the prof exactly what is needed in the camera. Also, you can go back to my previous post and take a look at the link I posted and you can put in what you need and it will show what cameras offer those features.

Test Type
11-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Hey guys, I'm needing to get a digi camera for my upcoming photography class. I was told that it had to have an ajustable lense and had to be 4mm or greater. I will be useing it for that class, cosplay and every day photos. Any ideas on what type to get? i kinda want one that is nice but not too expencive. lol. Thanks for your help.

Hi could you please confirm the requirements for your course.

Could you find out if you require a digital camera with an interchangeable lens .i.e. a DSLR (or rangefinder).

By adjustable lens do you mean a zoom lens (one with a variable focal length)?

Was the number given really 4mm or was it 40mm?

Could you elaborate on the minimum focal length requirement i.e. whether of not your teacher requires a lens that will afford you an equivalent field of view on your camera as a 40mm [or greater] lens would on a 35mm camera.

Uchiha Sakura
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I'll have to find my prof. first i don't have that class untill January so as soon as i get more info i will let you guys know. Sorry i don't know much about cameras.

Covet
01-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I've been using a Sony Cybershot P120 for about 2 years now for general photography.
(Link if you're interested: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews61832.html)

It works with Iphoto if you're using a Macintosh or has some software to go with it if you're using Windows. They're quite durable (I say that in a way like if you drop you're bag with it inside not throwing it down the stairs :P)
And the battery lasts for a loooooong time. I went to New York in January of 2006 and had the camera on and off for about 3 days and finally decided to die on the 4th day so it's perfect for weekend con's.
The picture quality is pretty good, the photos I take with it are around 2000 pixels or so in length and height and have a lot of different settings to play around with... It contains nearly all the setting's you'd need for any type of photography, outdoor, indoor, underlit, overlit... etc.
Using some of the settings (Including the B&W one) this is a photo of my sister as an example that I took for a photography project on faces:
http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/107/c/5/Homeless_by_Covet_17.jpg

It's served me well :)

tfcreate
01-09-2007, 04:35 AM
A high-megapixel count is not that much of a factor. Once you get around 5 mp, the only real factor is physical size of the image.
http://tfcreate.home.mindspring.com/acen05/images/acen0573.JPG
http://tfcreate.home.mindspring.com/Pics/acen0546a.jpg
These were taken with a Fuji Finepix 4900, 2.2MP (MegaPixel). Perfect for web shots. I've seen 10MP cameras that can't match it, and it gives my Nikon a run.

I suppose the first question to ask is will you be using this for webshots only? If you are, then the MP counts above 5 are going to be a waste. If you plan to print, then going beyond that is the next step, and the 10MP range is in order.

Good Luck and don't rush into a decision.
TFC :chatah:

4ng31
01-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Well, from just going through a close situation, let me recommend the following.

My girl uses a Canon S2 IS (about $300-400 depending on where you buy - reatil or ebay). Amazing camera. Delivers professional photos for a VERY reasonable price.

I recently picked up a Samsung Digimax S600...and for the price ($150), it really is probably the best "value" camera I have ever used, seen, etc...

I'd recommend checking out the new Samsung line for great quality for low cost, and Canon for anything above "normal" use.

gecota
03-02-2007, 12:44 PM
I've used these brands: minolta, canon, nikon, sony.

My favorite by far is canon. hasn't failed me yet. :)
The other ones were alright... but the model I had for minolta (f100) was pretty slow. Good quality, but it took forever to take a shot.

Especially for travelling, you might want something more compact. Having a huge lense is nice, but not very economical for travellers.

I really like the canon powershot SD series:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=12913

Good luck finding your camera!

Oh yeah! Canon is great, it's the one I use.

niimurafuxxer
03-10-2007, 02:04 PM
what is in your opinion the best canon around $300 tops with 6-8 megapixels? I am devoted to canons but my powershot A80 and A85 (the A80 is my girlfriend's, if you are wondering why I have two. she doesn't take pictures at all though, so both are basically mine) are getting a bit old with their 4 mpx...
as a sidenote, what kind of a tripod would you recommend as my first one? I have never used one before, but having one would help a lot since I take a lot of pictures indoors and I hate it how 95% of them end up blurry because of my hands shaking.

also, as I am starting to get more into photography again (I took a photography course a few years ago, so I am not a complete noob, heh), would it be worth it to invest into a, say, S3 IS? that's the camera I have been looking at, it's on the very top of my price range though. I secretly want an EOS but they're well out of my aforementioned price range.

tfcreate
03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
PMA 2007 is going on this weekend in Las Vegas. There are major announcements from the major manufactures in the DSLR product lines.
It's worth a look if you're shopping for a new camera.
http://www.pmai.org/index.cfm/ci_id/31226.htm
http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PMAS07/PMAS07.HTML
It'll give you a good idea of what's coming out over the next few weeks/months.
TFC

gecota
03-11-2007, 04:06 AM
what is in your opinion the best canon around $300 tops with 6-8 megapixels? I am devoted to canons but my powershot A80 and A85 (the A80 is my girlfriend's, if you are wondering why I have two. she doesn't take pictures at all though, so both are basically mine) are getting a bit old with their 4 mpx...

Yeah, mine is a power shot A560, 6 mega pixel, and it's really good! I would recommend it. I don't know if it comes in a higher megapixel than 6, but I know it comes in 5/6, which I've owned both and both are very good. Also, I got my for about 180, so not too bad on price.

as a sidenote, what kind of a tripod would you recommend as my first one? I have never used one before, but having one would help a lot since I take a lot of pictures indoors and I hate it how 95% of them end up blurry because of my hands shaking.

I actually have no idea! I've never owned a tripod before.

also, as I am starting to get more into photography again (I took a photography course a few years ago, so I am not a complete noob, heh), would it be worth it to invest into a, say, S3 IS? that's the camera I have been looking at, it's on the very top of my price range though. I secretly want an EOS but they're well out of my aforementioned price range.

I have no idea what they're like, but from my experience, espeacially with cons, the canon powershot is one of the best ways to go.

PKYuna
03-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Hmm... I went through these pages and I'm not QUITE sure on which company to pick. I already made a thread but it got closed ;_;

i absolutely LOVE taking photographs!!! I especially love taking some candid shots of friends and such so I need something that is super non blur and can point and shoot super fast. Like, for example, i would "nonchalantly" look around and talk to people and when my friends make a face I just want to hold up the camera for a half a second, press the button and it would come out super clear and such =D Is there such a camera like that? Or am I in la-la-land...? 0_0

Oh! I have NO CLUE what any of camera terms is so speak to me in layman's terms please =D

Budget: 150-300
Photo size: i don't want something that'll take forever to load and edit when i upload them to my computer. but i want it so it'll be perfectly clear if/when i take them to the digital photo centers to get them printed.
Blur factor: i want ZERO blur factor but reasonable amount if i could turn it off or on =D
Reload time: I NEED/WANT something that i don't have to wait long to take another photo... Like... 2+ seconds is long for me ...camera wise
extras: I also want something that'll double as a camcorder
Overall: Pretty cheap for it's quality. Super non blur. Very quick point and shoot. Fast reload. Easy to use program if included. Doesn't come out too big(like a whole web page big. half a web page big is okay) Stylish. Easy to handle. Easy to work(no confusing buttons or whatnot) AND since I'm accident prone ...VERY VERY durable!!!

I'm going to be mainly using it for the photoshoots, walking around the conventions and end of the year(it's my senior year). I'm actually considered the best photographer in my group of friends ...(Sorry if i sound like i'm stroking my own ego... ^^;; )... So I also need something that can hold lots of pictures .. =D but not overload(300+) cause I'm not that crazy to take pictures of everything.

Any suggestions or does my dream camera doesn't exist yet 0_0?

Thank you in advance!

Michi
03-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm actually looking for a camera similar to what PKYuna described. I think I can spare a bit more for my camera budget, however.

Basically, I may be going to Japan at the end of the year and I want a camera that's nicer than the one I have now. This is mostly because this poor camera is falling apart!

This is my current camera: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-2100-Digital-Optical/dp/B00008J639/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-4450563-8155233?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173829585&sr=8-1

I've had it since December 2003 and somehow it still works despite having fallen to the ground one too many times. Seriously, the battery compartment and memory card slot are taped shut when in use. (It's not like I don't take good care of my stuff, it's just the awful luck I've had with this thing!)

I'd like something that took better quality photos, and probably video (with sound, this one can't do that!) would be good too. I like the size of it, so I don't wanna go too much bigger in size since it needs to be nicely portable. My boyfriend has an amazingly nice camera, but it's mildly bulky. I like the fact that it has video w/sound and a viewscreen that can be tilted. I don't know if this is the exact model since I don't have it here to check, but I think it's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-S2-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B0009GZSSO/ref=sr_1_10/002-4450563-8155233?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173829990&sr=1-10

....So I guess something in between these two would be optimal. Haha, that's vague, sorry!! I'd get the same camera as my boy, but it's just.. so big and heavy. =/

PKYuna
03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Hello? Anyone wants to help out? o_0

tfcreate
03-15-2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000MFA1NE/ref=sr_1_14/102-4167145-0856163?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1173996896&sr=1-14
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-LZ5K-Digital-Camera-Stabilized/dp/B000EBHZQ2/ref=sr_1_5/102-4167145-0856163?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1173997246&sr=1-5

Your budget requirement won't allow for much in image stabilization technology on Canons, though. There are other brands that fit your requests.
A pro shouldn't have much of a problem with that though.

Cruise through Amazon. See what you can find. Compromise may be in order.
TFC

PKYuna
03-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Oh! Sorry for that. I keep forgetting to edit. Budget can be 150-300 =D

tfcreate
03-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Now you're in business.....
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-S2-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B0009GZSSO/ref=sr_1_6/102-4167145-0856163?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173998226&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Image-Stabilized-Optical/dp/B000HATNH4/ref=sr_1_5/102-4167145-0856163?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1173998469&sr=1-5
There are quite a few Canons in that range.
TFC

PKYuna
03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Would anyone recommend these?

Sony Digicam (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=99CDN8XEqpKDS4A9JwmJPIrKkneZ9wVSSBE=?Pro ductSKU=DSCT100%2fR&INT=sstyle-digitalcameras-tophero-DSCT100R)
Canon Cam 1 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14216)
Canon Cam 2 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=12956)

I know the first one is over the budget but prob the highest my parents are willing to pay is 350 max ..hopefully x_x either that or i have to get the job i'm applying for...fast 0_0

tfcreate
03-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Personally, I like the PowerShot SD630. I've heard good things about it, but it's up to you because you know more about how it's going to be used. Not just for cons, but as a day-to-day camera.
TFC

Alexia Ishtar
03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I actually just bought a nice digital camera, however, I also just started into a photography course, can anyone suggest to me a good 35mm SLR -film- camera??

Oklahoma
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
What is your budget?

A good 35mm say a EOS-1:thumbsup:! I have an Elan-7 film camera I got used for around 170. There are lots of different film cameras out there. See if you can find a store that deals in used cameras and see if you can find one you like and a lens to go with it.

Cikgu101
03-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm currently using a Nikon D50 for all my Cosplay photography needs but its a hassle to use when cosplaying.(Armor is my Modus Operandi) :rockon:

When Cosplaying...I'm using my newly acquired digital compact(Panasonic FX30) :bigtu:

But it all boils down you the budget you're willing to spare. :toothy:

Unbroken Hope
03-20-2007, 10:54 PM

I might be a little late, but I personally love my Canon Powershot A630 (which I'm shocked no one has mentioned! http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14108). It costs $250 and has 8 megapixels and a multitude of features that allow you to the convenience of a point-and-shoot camera but also gives you a nice manual mode that lets you play around with the f-stops and ISO settings (great for if you are getting into photography). It's a little bigger than most of the other digital cameras that people are suggesting, but I find that more ergonomic in a way (and I'm a girl, so I have small hands).

The BEST feature about this camera though is the 360 degree flip out screen! That way you can actually look at yourself in the monitor while you're taking the photo. SOOOOO handy, especially if you want to take cosplay pictures (because if I see another "in the mirror or obviously looking at a mirror to see the screen" picture I'm going to scream.)

As far as I know, most tripods are pretty standard. I love the tripod I borrow from my photo class, a Vivtar 930.

Lately, I've been taking a lot of photos of myself modeling clothing and cosplay costumes, and I've found the best method for myself is to set up my camera on a tripod, set the self timer for 10 seconds, then use that 10 seconds to pose myself and check what I'm doing in the flip-out screen of the camera (which is facing me), and adjust before the camera goes off. Presto! No photographer needed and no second-guessing (or trial-and-error). ^_^

Good luck with finding a camera and tripod! (And once you do, Lowepro cases for cameras are great!)

staereo
03-29-2007, 09:16 PM
...... Presto! No photographer needed.....

:mfg: :bigcry:
I'MMMM MEELLLLLLLTIIIIIING!

Michi
04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I might be a little late, but I personally love my Canon Powershot A630

Yes! I've basically decided on that one as my next camera. I found it even cheaper on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000HAOVC6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0194079-7726326?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1176137032&sr=8-1

I'm glad to hear your recommendation; any other tips? I think I'm gonna go for it in a couple of paychecks, hehe.

I picked it because of the flip-out LCD screen (my boyfriend's camera has one and I'm in love with it) and the fact that it has a better zoom than my current blah camera. It has video with sound, right? X3

Digitallica
04-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Canon is a very smart choice.

I've had a Fujifilm and a Nikon, and didn't care for them. I recently upgraded to a Canon, and then went all the way and purchased a Canon dSLR.

Canon makes quality cameras, and the wait time on pictures is much less than it is on a Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, or Casio.

Sony makes a decent digital camera, but their memory cards are a hassle. If you don't have the adapter for the card, you've got problems. =/

hinata-hime
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I have a 4.1 megapixel digital concepts that was around 15.00 at walmart
looks like: [i was shaking]
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/hinatahyuuga_9094/pics002.jpg
if then you buy a [sd impact 512 mb] which holds: 1,174 pictures, and 100.00minutes of video but the only thing is, it doesn't record sound, but the quality is very good. and the set up is easie!! hope that helps!!

Whispered.Hope
04-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh, thanks for the tips. I'm planning on buying a digi cam, and this Canon stuff looks hot <33

Digitallica
04-09-2007, 11:02 PM
^Canon's the way to go.

I sell cameras at Circuit City, and my store has dozens and dozens of cameras, so I get my fair share of playing with them.

Run some models by me and I'll let you know how good they are.

teoka
04-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm curious; what do you all have to say about Kodak digital cameras?

staereo
04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I have a kodak dc4800. i dont really ever use it for much anymore, but i got it in 2000 and it still works like new today, if that helps you at all. Ive abused it too.

I have no idea on present models. Ive only got canon equipment in recent times.
Bruce

Moby Disk
04-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I bought a Sony cybershot on a whim with no research for quick & dirty photography because it is really tiny. Even considering the size and portability, it is useless because the picture quality is so bad.

That is on top of the usual Sony annoyances like proprietary batteries, chargers, and memory cards.

PKYuna
04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
How about Casio Exilim Card? I was thinking that one or Canon SD630 =D

tfcreate
04-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Even point and shoot cameras are capable of fantastic results, but you have to be willing to practice with it and learn it's abilities as well as your own.
TFC

Whispered.Hope
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Hee, I got so hooked on this Canon A630 I think I'll just get that one xD

Question, though, about this printer that you can buy for it. Is it worth it?
And can tripods be used for any camera, or are there specific ones for specific cameras?

staereo
04-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Hee, I got so hooked on this Canon A630 I think I'll just get that one xD

Question, though, about this printer that you can buy for it. Is it worth it?
And can tripods be used for any camera, or are there specific ones for specific cameras?

Which printer? And what are your printing needs?

Tripods are universal, as long as your camera/accessory has a hole in the bottom of it... lol!

Whispered.Hope
04-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Murr... -looks at flyer- A 4" x 6" Mini 260 Printer? xD

-blinku- Printing needs...? I don't know owo People don't usually have prints when they have a digi cam, do they? ^^; I'm so used to it being printed.

staereo
04-15-2007, 03:16 PM

-blinku- Printing needs...? I don't know owo People don't usually have prints when they have a digi cam, do they? ^^; I'm so used to it being printed.

There difference between lab prints and this printer's output should be negligible, if any, even at its max print size of 4x6.

Be aware, a 4x6 image will take a minute (MINIMUM) to print.

But I see nothing wrong with it for just printing off your pictures instead of running to the lab.

Checking into the price of replacement ink may be a smart idea.

Bruce

tfcreate
04-16-2007, 01:39 AM

Actually it's not too unusual. Have a look at your bosses desk some time. Bet some of those pictures are digital prints.

Don't forget photo quality paper if you're printing keepsakes. Kodak and Fuji are two of the best, but your printer's manufacturer will usually recommend a brand.
TFC

Whispered.Hope
04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
People really do have prints from digi cams? So it's possible to bring the camera into the lab, too? owo Suge.

What would be a reasonable price for replacement ink?

tfcreate
04-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Sure. In fact, most newer printers are configured to print directly from the cameras. Lab work per-se is done by the memory card alone. Many places that do traditional photo processing also do high quality digital prints.
For the most part, you want to use the manufacturer's ink if you want to do your own prints.
TFC

NyCamVictim
04-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Look for prices on the internet before you go shopping. Some shops that sell Cameras & Computers in NY overcharge you up to 10 times the normal prices.

Tenchi Fan
05-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Look for prices on the internet before you go shopping. Some shops that sell Cameras & Computers in NY overcharge you up to 10 times the normal prices.

Don't forget to check the store out at : http://www.resellerratings.com/ before you buy. Some of the cheapest priced stores have the most terrible service and will rip you off.

Fallen starz
05-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Errmm... I feel kinda silly for asking this but...
In order to take photos that look professional and/or really nice and clear,
does it matter about the MP, or is it photoshoping or something?
And if it is the MP, would I have to get one of those huge complicated looking ones? I wouldn't know where to start x_x;
I love photography, and i'd love to know a good beginers camera to start with or something... ^^;

tfcreate
05-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Errmm... I feel kinda silly for asking this but...
In order to take photos that look professional and/or really nice and clear,
does it matter about the MP, or is it photoshoping or something?
And if it is the MP, would I have to get one of those huge complicated looking ones? I wouldn't know where to start x_x;
I love photography, and i'd love to know a good beginers camera to start with or something... ^^;

MP CAN be a big factor, but that has as much to do with the size of the picture too. About 6MP is the cutoff where you stop gaining resolution and begin to increase the physical size of the image. I've seen some brilliant pictures from 4MP cameras, too.
TFC

sklathill
05-15-2007, 10:11 PM
The quality of those pixels matters as much if not more than the pixels themselves. That little modern 10 megapixel digicam you get at Target or Wal-mart can give some nice results, but there's no question that a 4 megapixel Nikon D2X, 5 megapixel Olympus E-1, or 6 megapixel Canon 10D would kick it's ass.

On a small digicam, each of those 10 million pixels can only pick up so much light. Put 10 million pixels on a bigger sensor with more surface area...boom, more light to pick up. More light mean better signal to noise ratio.

Most all small digicams have the same size sensors to deal with...1/2.5" or 1/1.8" sensors. Right now, manufacturers are caught in the megapixel race, so they're using the same old lens designs that deal with the same size sensors, and they're cramming more and more pixels onto them...and actually degrading the image quality. You're seeing 10 megapixel cameras that are based on older 8 and 6 megapixel cameras, that are actually WORSE than those cameras in final output image quality.

There are plenty of excellent cameras out there, though. The cream of the crop really does rise to the top, and most of the cameras that come out on top of the review tests at places like dpreview.com or imaging-resource.com really are very very good.

I'd recommend you look through their lists and see if there's something that aligns with whatever you have of a style. It's not hard to figure out style...it's stuff like: Do I like using flash? Do I want standard 3x zoom or do I want more? Do I want something that's more wide-angle? Do I want to deal with manual options? Do I want to do close-up photography? Do I want something that shoots very quickly?

There are some very clear choices that arise once you answer those questions...but first you gotta answer them. :)

Sav
05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
The quality of those pixels matters as much if not more than the pixels themselves. That little modern 10 megapixel digicam you get at Target or Wal-mart can give some nice results, but there's no question that a 4 megapixel Nikon D2X, 5 megapixel Olympus E-1, or 6 megapixel Canon 10D would kick it's ass.

On a small digicam, each of those 10 million pixels can only pick up so much light. Put 10 million pixels on a bigger sensor with more surface area...boom, more light to pick up. More light mean better signal to noise ratio.

Most all small digicams have the same size sensors to deal with...1/2.5" or 1/1.8" sensors. Right now, manufacturers are caught in the megapixel race, so they're using the same old lens designs that deal with the same size sensors, and they're cramming more and more pixels onto them...and actually degrading the image quality. You're seeing 10 megapixel cameras that are based on older 8 and 6 megapixel cameras, that are actually WORSE than those cameras in final output image quality.

There are plenty of excellent cameras out there, though. The cream of the crop really does rise to the top, and most of the cameras that come out on top of the review tests at places like dpreview.com or imaging-resource.com really are very very good.

I'd recommend you look through their lists and see if there's something that aligns with whatever you have of a style. It's not hard to figure out style...it's stuff like: Do I like using flash? Do I want standard 3x zoom or do I want more? Do I want something that's more wide-angle? Do I want to deal with manual options? Do I want to do close-up photography? Do I want something that shoots very quickly?

There are some very clear choices that arise once you answer those questions...but first you gotta answer them. :)

His right on i'd like to add this http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/technology/08pogue.html?ex=1179720000&en=f2dddb36dacaefec&ei=5070
which has some good information also, When shopping for cameras, look into settings your looking for and do some research if it's a point and shoot on the sensor and shutter speeds.

Take for instance Canon's new Digi3 sensor which gives a better low light performance compared to the prior Digi2 sensors which boosted better color quality and noise control to the first digi sensors. The digi 3 on point and shoots is up to 1600 ISO which was prior only found on their DSLRs on the new DSLR 1dsMK3 it boosted the ISO to 3200 and option to 6400 with very low noise at 1600 which in the prior version showed this. If your not familiar with what ISO basically it was derived from the sensitivity of the film you used, the ISO rating follows this the same way.

Another option to look at is the FPS (Frames per second) and Shutter speeds if you're looking into fast paced photography, and of course IS can help with this. Last part to look at is the focal length and the aperture of the lens which at this time I don't have a link to a website with good information about it. As mentioned somewhere above that dpreview.com is a good site to see others opinion on the camera, but don't listen to all of them. The camera may of just not of suited their needs. If you goto the reviews on the cameras though dpreview you'll find most the specs on the information you need. The MP is only real useful if your going to do large prints.

sklathill
05-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Wanted to note a very nice article that deals primarily with high ISO modes on compact digicams. The intro background information on sensor sizes though has some cool fundamentals that are definitely good to know about...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/compactcamerahighiso/

MadMichiChan
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
... ._________.
Okayz, all this stuff is a total foreign language to me. >_>
I'm buying a digital camera this summer, but I don't want one of those itsy bitsy silver fit-in-pocket cameras. I want one of those bigger ones, with the big stick-out lenses n' stuff. I'm not looking for anything professional, no way. I just want something nicer than a digital camera the size of my cell phone.
So you all seem crazy smart about cameras. >_> I just want the *name* of some cameras you would suggest.

And don't worry. When I get the camera, I plan on sitting down and reading the manual cover to cover. @_@

kalajessta
05-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm looking for a new digital camera within the price range of $100-300. The only things that I know for sure I want in a camera is one: it's not a kodak, it's not an hp camera. Other then those facts, I really don't know what type of camera to get. I would like to get a new one before Otakon since the one I have is an EasyShare Kodak 3.2 megapixel. I hate the thing. The resolution and qualitly of the pictures are so bad now.

djaxle
05-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Canon is makes a good camera, I'm rather happy with my A460 (5.0 MP) and it was around 250 Canadian.

Other names I trust: Nikon (but does have a digital noise problem) and Olympus.

CardMaster
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
... ._________.
Okayz, all this stuff is a total foreign language to me. >_>
I'm buying a digital camera this summer, but I don't want one of those itsy bitsy silver fit-in-pocket cameras. I want one of those bigger ones, with the big stick-out lenses n' stuff. I'm not looking for anything professional, no way. I just want something nicer than a digital camera the size of my cell phone.
So you all seem crazy smart about cameras. >_> I just want the *name* of some cameras you would suggest.

And don't worry. When I get the camera, I plan on sitting down and reading the manual cover to cover. @_@

You will not only need to read a camera manual, try, pratique and read about photography etc, etc.

A nice Model in DSLR is the D40 of Nikon, 6 millions pixel*(you don't need more, so do take the D40x!) a nice 1600 iso mode(the best right now on the market) a JPEG that optimize *(most Dslr do flat jpeg to be able to rework them). You have a help menu inside the camera that you can activate any time. The camera is easy to use, and every choice on a option have a image to tell you what kind of situation you should use the setting. Perfect camera for beginner and you can get external flash and most of the accessory of other camera. It is also a very DSLR camera. The price is good 700$ can with the Kit lens. Change the kits lens for a 18-70 if possible, that will be the best lens for the con. BAD point hover, is yours choice of lense; the camera dosen't have a motor inside, wich mean that All auto-focus lens with no motor (Non AF-S lens or EX for Sigma) won't auto focus on the camera, so you will have to do a manual focusing. Best sujestion for a begginner like you;p

kalajessta
I'm looking for a new digital camera within the price range of $100-300. The only things that I know for sure I want in a camera is one: it's not a kodak, it's not an hp camera. Other then those facts, I really don't know what type of camera to get. I would like to get a new one before Otakon since the one I have is an EasyShare Kodak 3.2 megapixel. I hate the thing. The resolution and qualitly of the pictures are so bad now.

djaxle
Canon is makes a good camera, I'm rather happy with my A460 (5.0 MP) and it was around 250 Canadian.

As for kalajessta , the resolution is not the problem, I do have a old 3.2 Konica KD310 and it work really well. The problem is the Kodac camera, in my opinion Kodak never did a good digital camera, and at the time you bought it it was probaly more expensive that everything on the market! The lens, the quality of the part (a lot of Kodak died just a little bit after one years) , noise in even low iso(200) make them horrible camera. HP is so bad, slooooooowww, battery eater and of course, poor noise control. A least most of them have a pentax lens.

djaxle:
Canon do make nice camera: But I do sujest to good to the A5XX series around the same price and better quality of image. Olympus and Nikon are good but they starting to get noise problem, tougth it depend realy on the size of the model.

Fuji have a maverlous camera for low light is the F30 or F31 FD. If you want to take mascarade picture those are the only compact that could do it! 1600 iso is usable to do a print 4x6 and the 800iso quand be compared to a DSLR. Pentax make good model with the A10-A20-A30 with the best output with no rework on photoshop.

kalajessta
05-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Digital noise?

Sav
05-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Digital noise?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/oaosavage/noise.jpg

Sorry if this image is big, but I did for the purpose of being able to see the noise better. If you look at it digital noise is like red, yellow grain that distorts from being sharp or appealing that gives it a redish tone normally (depending on light source). It was taken with a Canon 20d, 135mm f/2, with ISO H to make the most noise from my cameras. If this isn't big enough just save it and enlarge it a little.

kalajessta
05-24-2007, 12:08 AM
[IMG]

Sorry if this image is big, but I did for the purpose of being able to see the noise better. If you look at it digital noise is like red, yellow grain that distorts from being sharp or appealing that gives it a redish tone normally (depending on light source). It was taken with a Canon 20d, 135mm f/2, with ISO H to make the most noise from my cameras. If this isn't big enough just save it and enlarge it a little.

How do you know which cameras have noise or not without doing a whole lot of research? I don't have alot of time before Otakon and it's hard to test cameras in stores.

Sav
05-24-2007, 12:25 AM
I would recommend either the Canon Powershot SD800IS or SD900. Both have a ISO of 1,600 which on a compact will produce a lot of noise but its nice to have, but the digi3 sensor at the moment has the best noise reduction. The SD800IS will have image stabilization while the SD900 will have a longer focal length slightly and has a faster shutter and fps(frames per second) if that matters. Also it has a stronger flash range than the SD800. SD800 is around low 300ish and SD900 will be around 360-400$. Nikon make a good range of compact cameras also but as said they perform not as well in lower light when say if your shooting in auto(that most people do) The Shutter will be kept fast for swaying hands and the ISO will be cranked up and produce a lot of noise. My friend has couple of the Panasonic Lumix bigger DSLR like cameras which has a good image quality also.

Edit: Forgot to add BHphotovideo.com had a great 2007 catalog that came out that compares all the specs of the cameras side by side for the same brands. It's nice if you can get your hands on it. If not I can scan it for you.

kalajessta
05-24-2007, 01:12 AM
I would recommend either the Canon Powershot SD800IS or SD900. Both have a ISO of 1,600 which on a compact will produce a lot of noise but its nice to have, but the digi3 sensor at the moment has the best noise reduction. The SD800IS will have image stabilization while the SD900 will have a longer focal length slightly and has a faster shutter and fps(frames per second) if that matters. Also it has a stronger flash range than the SD800. SD800 is around low 300ish and SD900 will be around 360-400$. Nikon make a good range of compact cameras also but as said they perform not as well in lower light when say if your shooting in auto(that most people do) The Shutter will be kept fast for swaying hands and the ISO will be cranked up and produce a lot of noise. My friend has couple of the Panasonic Lumix bigger DSLR like cameras which has a good image quality also.

Edit: Forgot to add BHphotovideo.com had a great 2007 catalog that came out that compares all the specs of the cameras side by side for the same brands. It's nice if you can get your hands on it. If not I can scan it for you.

Thanks for the help, but the cameras are still a little too pricey for my budget (even though I shouldn't even look for cameras at this point).

djaxle
05-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Digital noise?

Ah yes I should've explained myself. Digital noise is multiple coloured spots on a digital photo if it's taken at a high ISO.

ISO is how sensitive film (or in the case of digital a CCD) is to light, higher the ISO the more sensitive it is, but the greater the noise (grain in film). It's a pay off.

However there are some software programs out there designed to reduce/suppresses/eliminate it.

MadMichiChan
05-24-2007, 01:48 PM
You will not only need to read a camera manual, try, pratique and read about photography etc, etc.

A nice Model in DSLR is the D40 of Nikon, 6 millions pixel*(you don't need more, so do take the D40x!) a nice 1600 iso mode(the best right now on the market) a JPEG that optimize *(most Dslr do flat jpeg to be able to rework them). You have a help menu inside the camera that you can activate any time. The camera is easy to use, and every choice on a option have a image to tell you what kind of situation you should use the setting. Perfect camera for beginner and you can get external flash and most of the accessory of other camera. It is also a very DSLR camera. The price is good 700$ can with the Kit lens. Change the kits lens for a 18-70 if possible, that will be the best lens for the con. BAD point hover, is yours choice of lense; the camera dosen't have a motor inside, wich mean that All auto-focus lens with no motor (Non AF-S lens or EX for Sigma) won't auto focus on the camera, so you will have to do a manual focusing. Best sujestion for a begginner like you;p

Thank you! @_@ Geez, I'm really gonna have to do my homework on this...
But at least I know what a Nikon D40 is thanks to the commercials. x)

CardMaster
05-25-2007, 01:06 AM

I am sorry but the 1600 iso on every camera, except the the F30, F31FD of fuji, is not usable at all. not event on a G7 so imagine on a SD series who got smaller sensor.... 800 Iso of Canon is good however! Which is a major deal with those two small camera!

kalajessta
Thanks for the help, but the cameras are still a little too pricey for my budget (even though I shouldn't even look for cameras at this point).

A little reminder, you should spend minimum 250-300$ can for you camera to get a decent one. A camera with a Hot shoes is something that is great for con.

MadMichiChan

Thank you! @_@ Geez, I'm really gonna have to do my homework on this...
But at least I know what a Nikon D40 is thanks to the commercials. x)

Yeach, I am suprise to see that the english guy got some publicity in canada, but not Quťbec. If fact not that much, knowing that nikon do not give adecate french service in general....

If you want a complete review with comparaison in number of differente iso here the best reference on internet!:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

Sav
05-25-2007, 06:30 AM
I am sorry but the 1600 iso on every camera, except the the F30, F31FD of fuji, is not usable at all. not event on a G7 so imagine on a SD series who got smaller sensor.... 800 Iso of Canon is good however! Which is a major deal with those two small camera!

I don't see where I said anything about Canon being the only camera with ISO at 1,600, if you have researched the newer sensor processed by Canon at the moment is has one of the better noise outputs for digital cameras with higher ISO. Theres a lot of cameras which are 1,200 ISO + the newer Canon models are 1,600 when the older digi 2 sensor was 800 iso max on their compacts. Shit, Nikon compacts have a iso of 2,000 and custom function for 3,200.

CardMaster
05-31-2007, 09:05 AM
But in pratical all those point and shoot dosen't even give you something that you what to print or look at the screen:

The only one who doing a good job on the 1600 section is the Canon 30D who is a SLR, even the G7 is not going a good job at all, the f31fd is not great at all but it is the only one that you could do something about it;
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/compactcamerahighiso/page4.asp

Frida_chan
06-25-2007, 03:52 PM
check you PMs (i sent you ideas!)

May I have some ideas too??? please!

Moby Disk
07-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I just bought a Powershot A710IS. I think, in a few years, all cameras will have image stabilizers - it makes a big difference, especially for those candid cosplay shots. I just went to a wedding and took the best off-the-cuff pictures I've ever taken.

Sav -- I looked at the SD800 but I decided on the A710 since I didn't think the image sensors on those SD cameras looked very big. And my last experience with a subcompact was very bad. I figured bigger sensor + ISO 800 beats smaller sensor at ISO 1600. Any opinion on that?

ShutterBun
07-03-2007, 10:17 PM
A few questions any new camera purchaser should be prepared to answer:

1. What is your budget?
2. What kinds of pictures do you want to take most?
3. What features are important to you? (speed, low light, zoom, large display, ease of use, etc.)
4. What concerns do you have? (bulkiness, grainy pictures, battery life, etc)

Start out with answering those questions, and I think it would go a long way toward narrowing down your selection.

Metal Messiah
07-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix, 7.2 megapixles with a 1 gig memory stick and it's absolutely amazing. it is about $380 without the stick and $475 with, but it's entirely worth it. It has tons of settings, like black and white, sepia, negative tones, ect. It can also take a something like 15 or 20 minutes of video. It even has image stabilization, to prevent blurry photos when there's movement of the camera. This camera is incredible.

Here's a link to the lumix with 7.2 megapixles. http://www.shop.com/op/~Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FX30K_Digital_Camera,_7_2_MP, _3_6x_Optical,_4x_Digital_Zoom,_MEGA_Optical_Image _Stabilization_and_2_5_Diago-prod-44148988-58136487?sourceid=3

nope
07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
@MadMichiChan

try getting one of those prosumer digital cameras. recommendations (look em up on dpreview)

-fujifilm finepix s7000
-canon powershot S3 IS
-canon powershot S5

the first two are older and you can get them for under 200. good luck!

opalescent101
07-19-2007, 01:03 AM
ok I recommend the Panasonic Lumix version. Great quality pics and vids! many features like food, fireworks, snow, sports and o/random features. It zooms in really well. I taped Wango tango concert and ax masquerade on it from far away n hardly any fuzz- crisp vids. get this one. best one I used so far and seen. (I recomend this if u dont want a professional camera (like its around $200-@300)

stefaniecat
07-19-2007, 03:36 AM
My husband and I have been considering a digital cam, more for him than for me (I have my DSLR, etc.) and because we want something we can take about on a whim without hauling my gear bag - basically we want a casual camera.

We've been looking at the Olympus 760, and it seemed pretty good. $250 regular, goes on sale semi-regularly for $200-215... we both liked how responsive the viewscreen was when you rapidly move it to track a fast subject, and the lack of blurr when shooting. It's had positive reviews on cnet, and on other places I've looked.

I thought I'd throw it out there as a contender for anyone searching, and to inquire if anyone has it and what they think of it...

staereo
07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm going to reply in PM. I've mostly avoided this thread of late, but I got some opinions here...

Orgato
08-01-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/ (http://www.dpreview.com/) has the best camera reviews out there. period.

Here they are by rating:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

thats the buying guide, you can use it to find exactly what you need. My suggestion, based on what you said that you want i would say go with this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

i personally prefer canon, so you could also use:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona640/

which is also a great camera.
PS: Oh yeah, they also tell you where to buy each camera for what price at the bottom of the pages.

Orgato
08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/ has the best camera reviews out there. period.

Here they are by rating:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

thats the buying guide, you can use it to find exactly what you need. My suggestion, based on what you said that you want i would say go with this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

i personally prefer canon, so you could also use:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona640/

which is also a great camera.
PS: Oh yeah, they also tell you where to buy each camera for what price at the bottom of the pages.

SpookyElectric
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
There are a number of links to review sites here. DPReview is excellent. Another site I liked when searching for my camera was dcresource.com (http://www.dcresource.com/) - mostly because it has a standard set of subjects that they test each camera with. That helps with comparisons. DPReview seems to have some semi-standard subject matter, but it seems to vary a lot.

One thing I've found important is a viewfinder rather than just an LCD screen. A lot of compact cameras seem to be forgoing this. In bight light conditions, it's often near impossible to see the LCD, even with some shade from your hand.

Another feature I've found handy is gatling mode (I think the official name is something different - when the camera continuously takes photos while you have the button down) for my camera with no built-in image stabilizing. The small flashes near the lens of most compact cameras tends to produce pretty poor results. I try to only use my flash as a fill flash bight areas, rather than in the dark. Instead, I enable that mode, and take 10 or so shots continuously. The ones in the middle tend to be reasonably shake-free, and look fine when scaled down to web sizes. Also, my small digicam has a fairly wide depth of field, but with slow exposures, the people in the background are often moving and end up blurred, thus (I think) less distracting. (example (http://epii.info/anime/2007%20Otakon/D.Gray-man%20-%20Allen%206.jpg))

And, like others have indicated, I wouldn't advise being too concerned w/ megapixels - especially if it's just going to go on the web. Or even high model numbers. From review sites, I've found some lower model number cameras w/ fewer megapixels that yield noticeably less grainier (noisier) images that their successors. Since a lot of con photography is indoors, and if you're like me and want to avoid a flash, less low-light grain at higher ISOs helps a lot. (Also, since I think the last pic posted to demo noise wasn't so clear, here's an example (http://epii.info/anime/2007%20Otakon/Yakitate%20Japan%20-%20Azuma%20and%20Tsukino.jpg) of my camera's not so great iso400, boosted a bit making even more pronounced grain.)

Personally I've been using a Canon SD200 for con photos. It's nothing impressive, but can yield nice (http://epii.info/anime/2007%20Otakon/D.Gray-man%20-%20Allen%202.jpg) results (http://epii.info/anime/2007%20Anime%20Expo/D.Gray-man%20-%20Allen%20and%20Kanda.jpg). For me, being ultra compact was an important factor - I'm a cosplayer first, and this I can easily slip into a pocket for when people want a picture of me. Unfortunately, after being dropped at least half a dozen times in the past two years (several times into concrete or tile), the zoom lever is a little flaky. So I'll probably be hunting for a replacement soon. I'm a little weary that it seems the newer models have more and more plastic instead of metal parts.

stefaniecat
08-02-2007, 02:23 AM
One thing I've found important is a viewfinder rather than just an LCD screen. A lot of compact cameras seem to be forgoing this. In bight light conditions, it's often near impossible to see the LCD, even with some shade from your hand.

This is the reason I love my SLR...and will probably never be happy with a modern digi-cam. I like viewfinders. I HATE LCDs that can't keep up with the action.

Eriol
08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
A point-and-shoot camera's viewfinder is not always a 1:1 representation of what you see in it. For example, the camera may shift the image from what you see (e.g. parallax). In addition, for some point-and-shoot cameras, when you zoom in enough, the lens blocks the viewfinder. Point-and-shoot cameras appear to be geared for LCD use rather than viewfinder use.

tfcreate
09-10-2007, 01:36 AM
With the announcement of the Nikon D300 and the Nikon D3, there are going to be some GREAT bargains on the D200 and D2x families.
There are some good prices on the D40X for those considering an upgrade or a back-up camera.
TFC

Sav
12-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Curious if anyone has tried out the Canon G9. Right now I'm in the market for a new point and shoot camera, last one I got was about 4 years ago. Always sucks when you need a small camera and all you have is a DSLR with Prime lenses and you need the lens you don't have for a non-important picture. I'm also wondering how compact this camera really is as in pocket sized or would it need to be in a bag. I would go try it out but I don't have time to goto the camera store for the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks in advance.

sklathill
12-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I tried it out a bit. A fine camera that has fine usability. You'll have to do a little manual digging, I think, (I remember the first thing I had trouble with was trying to figure out how to change apertures in manual mode, and a seemingly random button press finally revealed it to me) but it's a well built camera that's rather nicely sized. It's great for my jacket pockets but oh so slightly big for my pants pockets. I mean, I could put it in there, but then I couldn't put anything else. No way. And it does have solid image quality and lots of features for people who want to engage in photography and not just taking snapshots. But the image quality isn't so good and the camera isn't so fast about giving you those photographic tools that I would switch it in for my relatively svelte Fuji F50. Which doesn't have a lot of the features the G9 does, but it has enough that it doesn't: primarily solid usable ISO 800 and a very good flash mode that take a non-flash picture immediately followed by a flash picture.

Phylia
02-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Getting a digital camera is a hard choice that only you can do. I mean, everyone might be saying "this camera is good buy it" but it might not be the one for you. Nowadays almost every camera can give you everything you need, so important thing is that it's comfortable for you to use it. I mean, not too big, or not too small. For example when i was choosing mine, everyone was suggesting Nikon D80, of course this is one perfect camera, there's nothing more you might need with it, however i got to play around with it and the moment i touched it i was like "nooo that's not for me, it's just not for my hands, too heavy, big etc". I'm pretty picky when it comes to camera and my hands aren't really big i'm not strong either i prefer something small, yet not too small like some of the new Lumix's =P
My choice is Canon Rebel (a.k.a EOS) series. Mine is Canon Rebel XTi (a.k.a EOS 400D) and i am really happy with it.
My opinion is that it always depends on the person when choosing a camera =)

Av4rice
02-22-2008, 01:17 PM
EOS (Electrical-Optical System) is what Canon calls the overarching SLR systems platform it's been using since 1987. Basically it encompasses lens mount, flash, exposure, and focus systems in standardized ways so that you can generally use the same EOS components with any other EOS camera. This will include pretty much any modern Canon SLR, including film ones! So EOS is not limited to their digital SLR line or even the Digital Rebel line.

Cry4Eternity
02-27-2008, 08:19 PM
im in desperate need of a camera,ive been checking out one of those cybershot cameras witch is about 12 mega piks,though im not shure if it would have great quality basic'ly i like to have shots as good as rising sun has them,if you dont no who rising sun is check them out here http://www.risingsun.net/albums/2007.shtml

DireKitty
03-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Hmm... I am looking for a digital SLR camera. I have looked into a few from Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus.

Things i like are long shutter speed (at least up to 30 seconds), and a lens that does good quality close up pictures. Image stabilization seems nifty too, but is not a requirement. I like focusing things manually as i find auto focus can leave some dreadful results (while nice for quick shots... it's just not my thing)...

I have been looking at the Nikon D40 mainly, but have since decided to check out other companies. The Olympus e-330's long exposure time is a nice benefit, as well as the stabilization, but I've never used an Olympus before so I'm not sure what to expect.... actually I've never had a Nikon either, I've only had Canon cameras. The EOS 400D looks nice as well.

I take a lot of close up pictures of flowers and butterflies and the like... but also distance pictures too.... and I don't know a lot about cameras in terms of specs. I had a Fuji 35mm, and i just.... learned through playing with it. It got stolen though before I really manged to gain a lot of knowledge and I just got a pocket digicam which... while handy, doesn't do what I want it to do... like i can't get nice zoomed in images, lack clarity, the autofocus is weaksauce... and I'm an arty geek, I like taking artsy photos where I don't feel really limited by my camera.... I want to be able to shoot that animal off in the distance and not have it look like a blob. I've mainly used my dad's cameras, all very fancy dancy but i'd like my own.

....so any suggestions? My budget is under $500, I'll likely pick it up used, so I can possibly have 2 lenses... flash, diffuser possibly and whatever else fancies my eye. Since camera prices are dropping now, at least for Canon, i figure nows a good time to pick up a used one.

shiroin
03-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Hmm... I am looking for a digital SLR camera. I have looked into a few from Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus.

Things i like are long shutter speed (at least up to 30 seconds), and a lens that does good quality close up pictures. Image stabilization seems nifty too, but is not a requirement. I like focusing things manually as i find auto focus can leave some dreadful results (while nice for quick shots... it's just not my thing)...

I have been looking at the Nikon D40 mainly, but have since decided to check out other companies. The Olympus e-330's long exposure time is a nice benefit, as well as the stabilization, but I've never used an Olympus before so I'm not sure what to expect.... actually I've never had a Nikon either, I've only had Canon cameras. The EOS 400D looks nice as well.

I take a lot of close up pictures of flowers and butterflies and the like... but also distance pictures too.... and I don't know a lot about cameras in terms of specs. I had a Fuji 35mm, and i just.... learned through playing with it. It got stolen though before I really manged to gain a lot of knowledge and I just got a pocket digicam which... while handy, doesn't do what I want it to do... like i can't get nice zoomed in images, lack clarity, the autofocus is weaksauce... and I'm an arty geek, I like taking artsy photos where I don't feel really limited by my camera.... I want to be able to shoot that animal off in the distance and not have it look like a blob. I've mainly used my dad's cameras, all very fancy dancy but i'd like my own.

....so any suggestions? My budget is under $500, I'll likely pick it up used, so I can possibly have 2 lenses... flash, diffuser possibly and whatever else fancies my eye. Since camera prices are dropping now, at least for Canon, i figure nows a good time to pick up a used one.

Since you prefer manually focusing...

I would STRONGLY suggest the D40.

The D40 has by far the best viewfinder coverage and magnification out all of the entry level SLRs, making it the most suitable for manual focusing. Olympus makes decent cameras too, but their viewfinders, with the exception to E-3, are EXTREMELY small.

DireKitty
03-21-2008, 08:47 PM

The D40 has by far the best viewfinder coverage and magnification out all of the entry level SLRs, making it the most suitable for manual focusing. Olympus makes decent cameras too, but their viewfinders, with the exception to E-3, are EXTREMELY small.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll have to stop into the camera store and give it a feel to see how comfortable a hold it will be in my hands, and then look at another lens for it (couldn't find much online about it but the store should have some) and some filter goodies (some ND filters and the like).

ChibiPirateToh
03-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Just a random comment, if you are going to get a camera to use AT a convention.. be sure to get a good one that will correctly brighten the photos in poorly lighted convention areas. I've noticed that poor lighting + flash = very bright red eyes X_x Nikons and Canons are awesome choices. = )

SpookyElectric
03-26-2008, 02:23 AM
Regarding manual focusing, I have a D40 and a lens that requires manual focusing. Just looking at the viewfinder image really isn't good enough. (especially at f/1.4) It doesn't have the split circle or microprisms like I'm used to with my film SLR. So I have to rely on the green dot that indicates the selected AF point is in focus. For a still subject that works out OK - move out of focus then move back in, and when it starts looking focused I slow down and wait for the dot. For a moving subject though, it's a problem.
But, I remembered I had seen ads in the past (like 15 years ago) for replacement brighter focusing screens, so maybe there's still a market. I looked, and there are indeed replacement DSLR focusing screens, including for the D40. So, depending upon your style exactly it might be worth considering. (For me, I just plan to switch to an AF lens and flash next time)

shiroin
03-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Regarding manual focusing, I have a D40 and a lens that requires manual focusing. Just looking at the viewfinder image really isn't good enough. (especially at f/1.4) It doesn't have the split circle or microprisms like I'm used to with my film SLR. So I have to rely on the green dot that indicates the selected AF point is in focus. For a still subject that works out OK - move out of focus then move back in, and when it starts looking focused I slow down and wait for the dot. For a moving subject though, it's a problem.
But, I remembered I had seen ads in the past (like 15 years ago) for replacement brighter focusing screens, so maybe there's still a market. I looked, and there are indeed replacement DSLR focusing screens, including for the D40. So, depending upon your style exactly it might be worth considering. (For me, I just plan to switch to an AF lens and flash next time)

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

custom focusing screen.

i havnt found the need for one tho.... just practice enough so you wont have to rely on the green dot anymore~ ^^

SolarTempest
03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/i havnt found the need for one tho.... just practice enough so you wont have to rely on the green dot anymore~ ^^
After shooting with a 50mm F1.4 for a long time, I've come to one conclusion, the green dot does not mean your photo is in focus =P
Okay... most of the time, but not always!

EgnirysFaye
03-27-2008, 02:12 AM
Does anyone here know of the Pentax Optio and it's general quality? I'm currently leaning towards getting a canon at the moment, but it's good to broaden one's perspectives anyway just in case. I think their pictures aren't suppose to be of great quality for one thing...

Av4rice
03-27-2008, 03:27 AM
After shooting with a 50mm F1.4 for a long time, I've come to one conclusion, the green dot does not mean your photo is in focus![/I]
Haha, q4t on that type of lens.
Sometimes I think the camera's computer is just fed up trying to deal with your narrow DoF and picks any ol' focus that's close.

Test Type
03-28-2008, 12:20 AM

Actually if we exclude Olympus then the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 have the smallest viewfinders of all the entry level models from Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax.

Of the current models Canon have the largest viewfinder with the 450D followed by Pentax, then Sony, then Nikon.

Of the previous generation Pentax has the best VF with Sony following because the VF on the Canon 400D is the same size as the VF on the Nikon D40.

The Sony A300 and A350 which sit above the entry level A-200 actually have smaller viewfinders because of the sensor needed for their excellent Live View implementation which allows the camera to use the normal AF system to focus during Live View.

One important thing to note is that Nikon crippled the D40, D40x and D60 by removing the focussing motor from the body. Since most F-mount lenses from Nikon and from third-party lens makers do not have motors in the lens this means that the range of lenses that can be used with AF on these cameras is rather limited. I know that you were asking about manual focussing but it would be nice not to have to focus manually all the time.

Test Type
03-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Does anyone here know of the Pentax Optio and it's general quality? I'm currently leaning towards getting a canon at the moment, but it's good to broaden one's perspectives anyway just in case. I think their pictures aren't suppose to be of great quality for one thing...
The Optio series were good when they started but they are pretty lacklustre now. The only Pentax P&S I would bother looking at today is the waterproof W30 and only if I wanted a waterproof camera.

EgnirysFaye
03-28-2008, 12:48 AM
The Optio series were good when they started but they are pretty lacklustre now. The only Pentax P&S I would bother looking at today is the waterproof W30 and only if I wanted a waterproof camera.

Thank you very much!

Buunbuun
04-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm looking for a good camera for taking pictures at the con and small private photoshoots throughout the year (I take pictures of my club as a hobby). My price range is from $0 (I wish for free)-$1000 (but could go maybe $200 more if needed). I would like a Canon or Nikon SLR but nothing too complicated or heavy for me (I have no muscles!). What would you suggest?

Vraxx
04-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I'm looking for a good camera for taking pictures at the con and small private photoshoots throughout the year (I take pictures of my club as a hobby). My price range is from $0 (I wish for free)-$1000 (but could go maybe $200 more if needed). I would like a Canon or Nikon SLR but nothing too complicated or heavy for me (I have no muscles!). What would you suggest?

Hehe hi Buunbuun :) You can find the Canon XTi and the Nikon D40 for under $1k with an ok kit lens. The XTi may be a little bit easier with regards to lens options down the road but the D40 is a nice starting point the controls are easy to learn. If you do consider D40 body only, you might want to take a look at the AF-S 18-135. On the canon side I'm partial to the 28-135 so you could start w/the XTi and the 18-55 kit lens.

Buunbuun
04-10-2008, 06:54 AM
hi!

I thought I would encounter someone I knew here! Thanks for the opinion and I was actually looking at those cameras today! I'm going to be poor after this... sigh... but a good camera is worth it (my old one is just too slow and too little manual abilities)!

winterwish
04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Here's the problem with the D40/60: it lacks a focus motor.
Translation: you can't use some Nikon lenses when you want those, if you decide to upgrade your lenses. Mainly the primes AKA fixed zoom low light lenses.
(Yes, I know you can use Sigma HSM lenses.)
Canon XT series takes all Canon-made lenses: simply more options for you with the same price.

Seems like Canon Xsi is priced a bit higher then I thought...
So I'd recommend a XT over an XTi (extra megapixels are irrelevant).

My high end recommendation:
(all equipment is new)
EOS Digital Rebel XT: $400 - 500
18-55IS lens. $180
55-250IS lens. $300
50mm F1.8: $80

My low end recommendation: (still all NEW equipment)
EOS Digital Rebet XT + 18-55 lens: $450 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007QKMQY/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1208403208&sr=8-6
70-300 USM lens: $150
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00004THD0/ref=pd_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208403299&sr=8-8
50mm F1.8: $50.

This 3 lenses and a kit should last you quite a while =)
Regardless of which option you choose, you have your short/low light/long lenses.

bishop27
04-17-2008, 12:26 AM
while i would disagree with "megapixels are irrelevant" i would agree that the difference in amount of mp between the XT and XTi is not going to be significant enough for it to have much effect on what u want the camera for.
one thing about the D40 or D60 is that i believe their kit lenses are better the XT or XTi kit lenses... it doesn:t sound like u will be needing super sharp primes and a kit lens would be perfect if u wanted to take shots other than cosplay portraits.. they're not the sharpest but i don't think that will be an issue really.

however, any of those cameras (the D40, D60, XT, XTi) will serve u very well.. do a bit of research on them and find the one that fits ur needs best and what u think the best deal is.

good luck! XD

Buunbuun
04-25-2008, 03:49 AM
just a quick question.... the Canon XSi is coming out so will the prices of all the other cameras go down? And if so when? Because then I would wait for the price change or else I'll feel all sad that I could have gotten it cheaper if I waited just one more month...

Av4rice
04-25-2008, 04:43 AM
just a quick question.... the Canon XSi is coming out so will the prices of all the other cameras go down? And if so when? Because then I would wait for the price change or else I'll feel all sad that I could have gotten it cheaper if I waited just one more month...
Other Canon cameras in that line, yes (the Rebel, XT, and XTi)

Not sure about the timing but the first price drop should be very soon after the new camera's release, or at the exact same time as release, or maybe even a bit before release.

Some places will give you a partial refund for the difference if there's a sale or something right after you buy a product--this is time-limited of course so it might not extend to a full month. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, because the price drop probably won't be that much and you do still have the benefit of using a nice new camera for that month :bigtu:

VashtehCrampede
04-28-2008, 06:10 AM
I would like to use it not only for taking pictures in cosplay, but for just taking pics of things too. ^^ I've never bought one before, I've always used my sisters.... yeah, so I'm not really super educated on camaras. ^^;

I'd love some answers, I'm going to Japan and Alaska this summer in July and I'd like to be able to take pics there. X3 Thanks!

Grace

This is teh best camera for you, hands down. dont get bogged down with all that *you need slr* fluff a digicam will be just as good for the types of photos that you want to take.

Yet unnamed gosu camera. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKSRUY):rockon:

<x.FiReHeArT.x>
05-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I figured I would post in this section also since I just bought a camera. I don't know much about them but I ended up buying one, I just wanted to know what everyone thought of it and if I should keep it or get a different one. It's a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3. Super steady shot, 8.1 mp, full hd 1080, 10x op zoom, and ISO 3200 high senitivity. So far it's nice, takes great pics, just wanted to make sure I didn't buy something that sucked.

sklathill
05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
If it works for you, it works. If you're happy with the pics, then there you go! It's not a bad camera, as super-zoom type cameras go. Me, I'd personally prefer the lens to have a little bit more (actually, a lot more) wide-angle rather than all the telephoto end, and build quality is very important for me. And hey, you can never get enough image quality from those smaller sensors, so I personally am a big fan of Fujifilm's high-end consumer cams like the F series and their image quality in low-light, no-flash situations. But it looks like it can take good pics and you're happy with it. (and some casual browsing shows a couple other sites like dpreview.com liking the camera enough)

CrimsonOtaku
05-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm looking for some feedback on my next camera. Here's the camera (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021210olyd540_d580.asp) I was using before it broke. This is the camera (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04072802fujifinepixe550z.asp) I'm borrowing while saving up for a new one. And this one (590 IS) (href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012401canona470a580a590is.asp) is the one I'm currently considering. I'm using compact cameras since that's what I'm used to and I don't have any experience with SLR (multiple lens) cameras.

LonelyOtaku
06-09-2008, 01:13 AM
hi - i have a camera a canon SD1000. 3 optical 4 digital - i was thinking about selling that one and getting the FUJIFILM PinePix J50. Much better zoom in both areas. Only reason as to why i got the canon - i was short on time for the next con - that and bestbuy was running an ad and the camera was cheap(ish).

Also i was considering about getting a camcorder and im torn between three models within the make. The Canon ZR900, ZR930, and the ZR950. I have done my homework but im still torn as to which one to get. Also...if at all possible, can someone help me find a camcorder with zoom in mic? That means that as you zoom in with the view finder, the mic also moves in, increasing the sound.

Many thanks.

sklathill
06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
My general thoughts to LonelyOtaku:

Zoom is rarely a good reason to choose one camera over another, IMHO. Unless we're talking about the wide angle end. If you want to get closer to the action, it's trivial to crop in, but you can never recreate what you miss outside of the frame. In fact, the Canon is very slightly wider than the Fuji. And while there are some Fuji cameras that I would consider to be a big step above the Canon (in terms of image quality, not zoom) the J50 is not one of them. The J50 would be more of a sidestep.

winterwish
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
I also hear that with the 12x and 18x superzooms, beyond 200ISO the noise gets pretty bad for dSLR standards.

Test Type
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
hi - i have a camera a canon SD1000. 3 optical 4 digital - i was thinking about selling that one and getting the FUJIFILM PinePix J50. Much better zoom in both areas. Only reason as to why i got the canon - i was short on time for the next con - that and bestbuy was running an ad and the camera was cheap(ish).

I wouldn't bother changing the Canon for the Fuji. The Canon has a slightly wider-angle lens, which tends to be more useful and it has fewer megapixels packed into the same area as the Fuji. Don't worry about the digital zoom.

Sakanoue Ayame
06-19-2008, 02:34 PM
But I hear Fuji is cheaper... I am on a severe budget. Do you think an up-to-date Fuji would be better than an up-to-date Canon, price wise? I just need, something generally smaller with a higher mega pixel (I think it is important ^_^) that I can carry round with me anywhere...

I was thinking of a Fuji.... but I am undecided.

Tenchi Fan
06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
OK, so, I'm assuming that this is the right place to ask this. I've been a cosplay photographer for almost a year now. I unfortunately don't take very many pics because I use an old 35mm SLR (canon FTbn). Though the camera has served me well, film and developing is just too expensive. I always end up not taking as many pictures as I want and waiting too long for that perfect shot to conserve film. It's also difficult to transfer the photos to a computer as i don't have a good scanner. I've been saving for a DSLR and here's my question. I really want a Canon Digital Rebel XTi but they are pretty expensive. Is there a camera model that is equally as good or even better that anyone can suggest which might carry a lower price tag? I also would like to keep an emphasis on the ease of manual shooting as I like full manual a lot due to my old camera being full manual. Thanks for the suggestions.

Canon XS/1000d (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Canon_1000D/) will be released at the end of July. It will be the entry level Canon below the recently released XSI/450d, thus should be cheaper.

ncsugeek
07-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Canon XS/1000d (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Canon_1000D/) will be released at the end of July. It will be the entry level Canon below the recently released XSI/450d, thus should be cheaper.

Well if you're REALLY on a budget, you ought to buy a used camera (I use the Fred Miranda buy/sell forums). You should be able to pick up a XTi (or better yet, a 20D) for ~350-400, and less if the seller needs to sell it quickly. Older cameras will be cheaper. Skip the kit lens and get a nice lens, if possible. Glass >> body.

Tenchi Fan
07-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Well if you're REALLY on a budget, you ought to buy a used camera (I use the Fred Miranda buy/sell forums). You should be able to pick up a XTi (or better yet, a 20D) for ~350-400, and less if the seller needs to sell it quickly. Older cameras will be cheaper. Skip the kit lens and get a nice lens, if possible. Glass >> body.

True. Be sure to check on the shutter actuations when buying used. Each dslr has a # of actuations before the shutter may fail and need replacing. The shutter may last before the # or after the # depending on type of usage.

I would probably pass on a used dslr if sold by a pro if it has a lot of actuations. They tend to take lots of shots. Always good to ask them about the count because they may just use it as a backup and hardly have touched the camera.

winterwish
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Since we're on the topic of 20Ds.

Beware of dirty image sensors - you may need to take into the shop for $50 cleanings.

In my case, the sensor had actual scratches on it, and I had to return it to the Adorama used department for a refund.

bishop27
07-02-2008, 04:13 AM
the new D700... hehehe ^^

tfcreate
07-02-2008, 05:19 AM
the new D700... hehehe ^^

Hee... hee.... you peeked.... :rockon::eek::bigtu:
TFC

winterwish
07-06-2008, 11:48 PM
I thought it was a joke.
... til I saw Photographers' Bay.

Joke's on me =/

tfcreate
07-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I thought it was a joke.
... til I saw Photographers' Bay.

Joke's on me =/

Yep. A D300 with FX! :eek: Just what I've been looking for.
Come on D3X... :schitzo:
TFC

winterwish
07-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Also... if you're looking for

1)cheap
2)double zoom of normal point and shoots (7x vs 3x)
3)stationary lens IN the camera vs something like this (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/16/technology/17camera.600.jpg).
4)anti-shake
5)thin and small
6)not spectacular image quailty - but takes pictures you can make out and show to your friends.

basically, this is your cheap "con camera" with -mid-zoom for those giant naruto gatherings. it doesn't do anything spectuarly, but it's fine for most things unless you're doing a high quality private photoshoot.

may I recommend the Casio Exilim EX-V7. $189 @ Amazon.
Review of the camera here (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CasioEXV7/page2.asp).

november.eyes
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Rather than start a new thread with the same purpose, just thought I'd post here :)

I've been thinking about getting a camera to take some small photoshoots with friends in cosplay and civies. Thing is, reading through this thread, I've understood minimal of terms used when describing the cameras (because I'm a newbie like that D: ). So I thought maybe someone could recommend a camera (and/or lenses) that would...
- be around 200 - 250 dollars
- take photo's with nice definition. No fuzzy edges
- take photo's with lot's of colour. I've always adored photos where the clothing colours seem to explode right off the photo. Nice clear colours.

(Ps: how much are lenses normally?)

winterwish
07-13-2008, 03:36 AM
(Ps: how much are lenses normally?)

Camera bodies run from $300 and up.
Lenses range from $80 to $8000.

Tohru Mizuno
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Jumping into this thread looking for some advice :)

I'm planning on upgrading my camera within the next few months. I want a point-and-shoot simply because I want a camera I can carry around with me everywhere I go, as I'm always taking pictures. Right now I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2, and I have been eyeing these two:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_tz5-review/)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz18-review/index.shtml)

I quite like the sharp, bright colours I manage to get with my Panasonic, that's why I'm mostly looking at other Panasonic models. However I'm not so keen at how slow she is when I'm taking pictures under low-light, or how the pictures come out looking very blurry if the subjects aren't still. Under the price range of those two (here in Portugal both have a retail price of 350-400 euros), are there other brands I should look into? I'd like a camera that allowed me to snap pictures that didn't requires my subjects to be fully still, or is that hopeless wishing?

Also, when snapping pictures at night, the visibility on the LCD screen is about 7% or less... is that common?

Thank you for your help!

VashtehCrampede
07-16-2008, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=shinjixikari;2380019]Here's the problem with the D40/60: it lacks a focus motor.
Translation: you can't use some Nikon lenses when you want those, if you decide to upgrade your lenses. Mainly the primes AKA fixed zoom low light lenses.
QUOTE]

None of canon's bodies have an af motor, and the only lenses you cannot use are ones which you wouldnt have when you are buying your first slr... and you can use them, you just need to go old school and use your hands to focus, like all photographers did before the 80's; when automatic metering works, its really not that big a deal. ;P

Rock on. :rockon::rockon:

P.S. If you do end up buying a canon rebel, and buying any of their ef-s lenses, if for any reason you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame canon digital or film body, all of canon's full frame bodies are manufactured so that you cant use any ef-s lens on them. Likewise, if you ever decided to upgrade to a full frame nikon body, all of your DX lenses would work, albeit with slightly lower resolution. Just some food for thought ;P.

Test Type
07-17-2008, 05:50 AM
[quote=shinjixikari;2380019]Here's the problem with the D40/60: it lacks a focus motor.
QUOTE]

None of canon's bodies have an af motor

True but all of the 60+ autofocus EOS-mount lenses that Canon have produced since moving to the EOS system and all the Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc EOS-mount AF lenses have motors in the lenses.

The difference between the Canon and the Nikon situation is that Canon made a total system change to a completely new mount system using in-lens motors 21 years ago while Nikon begun selling low-end bodies that could only use a limited number of their AF lenses (and only a tiny handful of third party lenses) just over a year and a half ago.

SpookyElectric
07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd like a camera that allowed me to snap pictures that didn't requires my subjects to be fully still, or is that hopeless wishing?
If the problem is camera shake, "Image Stabilization" / "Vibration Reduction" will help. As will better high ISO performance, and lower f/stop optics will allow for faster shutter speeds. (TZ5 looks marginally better than the FZ18 from test images)
As for cosplayer movement, I don't think it's really that unreasonable to ask them to hold still. They shouldn't need to be perfectly still, just not real movement. I know they have a habit of moving around - I have the same problem - but when you ask they tend to listen.
And in sunlight, I don't think any camera should have a problem capturing a fairly fast motion.

Also, flash is an option for capturing motion. Unfortunately P&S flashes tend to look pretty bad for anything except fill-light use in already well lit environments. However, Canon's G9 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g9-review/index.shtml) (and I think some of the others in that series like G7) will let you attach a real flash, which you can use bounced or with a diffuser or off camera to get nicer looking flash photos. (Though the G9 may be out of your budget)

As for not seeing much on the screen in low light having an optical viewfinder could help. I can't tell if that FZ18 has one, or if it's just a view to an LCD.
Personally I haven't had problems in low light so much as a problem in harsh sunlight where I can't make out what's on the LCD. So I personally think some sort of optical viewfinder is important.

Regarding how colorful the images are, my Canon and Nikon cameras have a "Vivid" mode, which you may want to try out in a store or something. But the contrast and saturation enhancement can be done yourself in image editing software.

As for other P&S recommendations, I do not recommend Kodak or HP, which seem weirdly popular (maybe they're cheap?). My own research has lead to a leaning towards Canon, Panasonic, and Fuji for compact/non-SLR cameras.

As for the Nikon D40/D60 lack of focusing motor. I'm amazed how much people seem to obsess over that. But yet I don't think any of the people who do have ever used one of those cameras. Pretty much all newer lenses have internal motors. And nice inexpensive low f/stop ancient stuff doesn't do any sort of AF anyway. So for me, no motor on my D40 hasn't been an issue.

SirMiYavI21
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
I honistly am look for somthing damn good camra I run my own site all about cosplay and I want a camra.. but to be plunt I dont know a thing about keeping one safe, clean and so on right now I have a kodak v1003 10MP camra with a 2 gig cd card is this a good one it works fine but I dont know what I did to it now its blurrry

edwardsan
07-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, I didn't read the whole thread to see if anyone else has mentioned this. But, I have a Kodak C813. It works very well. I have taken several cosplay pics with it. The only problem with it is that it eats batteries and the software can be a pain. Of course, I have an old comp, maybe that's why the software sucks.

It also has an incredible zoom feature on it. Perfect for cons and other far -away events.lol It's a good camera. Sadly enough I don't know it's price range. It was bought for me on Christmas. I'll look up the price and come back!

EDIT

Here's some info on the camera.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=11580

Hope I helped!^^

-Edwardsan

Demon Doll
07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I own a Nikon Coolpix 8.0 Meg cam
It's about in the 200's range on price. It takes beautiful pics, it's a small cam so it's easy to take around. Also takes video and audio recordings.

Fireheart Storm
08-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm taking a photography class, and have been interested in photography for a long time, I would like to move beyond the simpel point and shoot little camera my parents got my sister and I for Christmas last year (it's a sony cybershot)

I was doing a bit of looking around, and the Nikon D40 came up sevrele times recomended, and you can buy it bundled with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR Lens

The price rang for this is landing some where in the $300.

I was woundering what the opion on this camera was? I intend to be able to use this for a while, so I'm open to other sugestions as well, my price rang is $200-$500.

shiroin
08-11-2008, 10:17 PM
D40+18-55VR is a great lightweight setup that i would definately recommend as a entry point to SLR cameras.

Tenchi Fan
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Nikon D80 should be discounted as soon as the D90 is announced officially in the next month or so.

Eliselle
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good entry DSLR (preferably Nikon). I currently use a Nikon D40 and when I'm shooting my sister's plays, often the loud shutter sound would put off the audience near by. I generally don't mind the shutter when I'm shooting portraits, but in quiet situations, it can a bit embarrassing.
Thank you! :)

Eriol
10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good entry DSLR (preferably Nikon). I currently use a Nikon D40 and when I'm shooting my sister's plays, often the loud shutter sound would put off the audience near by. I generally don't mind the shutter when I'm shooting portraits, but in quiet situations, it can a bit embarrassing.
Thank you! :)

The Nikon D60 replaces the Nikon D40 as the entry-level Nikon DSLR.

Unfortunately, the shutter sound is audible on DSLR cameras, because the shutter is mechanical. It is the sound the shutter panel makes when it opens and closes. Some DSLR cameras are better than others in keeping this noise down (i.e. very high-end professional cameras are quieter), but all of them will make noise to some extent. I have owned a D50, D200, and D300, and they all have audible shutter noises.

Likely, you will need to buy or make an enclosure for the camera to dampen the noise. Prices for manufactured enclosures vary, but they are generally very expensive.

These are two places that sell manufactured enclosures.
http://www.robertsimaging.com/search.jsp
http://www.soundblimp.com/

You could probably make something that covers the camera if you want to save money (i.e. toss a towel over your camera).

(In general, point-and-shoot cameras don't make shutter noise, because the shutter is electronic, not mechanical.)

Eliselle
10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you so much for your advice Eriol.

I shall try using something to muffle the sound at the next performance so I don't interrupt too many people and still capture the moments. :)

The enclosures you linked me to gave me a general idea what to make-shift. :) I agree, they are a little too costly for my price range... They don't even make a model for my poor little camera. Ha ha.

Thanks again!! :)

TomodachiFriend
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
You could also try the Panasonic G1. It doesn't have a mechanical shutter and its performance is close to that of an SLR. It's new but the price has already been reduced at many stores.

Eriol
10-15-2008, 10:06 AM
You could also try the Panasonic G1. It doesn't have a mechanical shutter and its performance is close to that of an SLR. It's new but the price has already been reduced at many stores.

That product will not go on sale until November 2008, so it is not a viable solution for this person currently. The person sounds like he/she can make a homemade noise dampener for the camera, and that will be cheaper than buying another camera.

winterwish
11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I'd recommend a Panasonic Lumix FZ28

18-300 in terms of dSLR (1.5 crop btw) lens range.
1280x800 HD video (50 min w/4gig card)
Av, manual focus, pop up flash. All that good jazz.

Light, size is about between a point and shoot & dSLR.

Only $300 off Amazon. I'm loving mine as an alternative when I don't want to lug around 10 pounds of equipment just for a good photo with my friends. =)

Inoli
11-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Alright, I've got a question for the Which Digi should I buy

I'm an SLR Photographer ...but we're talking analog, I Adore my Hasselblad and my Olympus OM series cameras but yeaahhh I suppose it's time to upgrade because everyone wants pictures NOW! that and cost efficient wise *sniffles* digital is the way to go *clings to Fiber paper and rolls of film in tears*

What I'll be using the camera for:
Professional photography which includes Cosplay, portraits, weddings, commercial...>.> and yes fun

what I want out of it:
+easy step from Annalog so pretty user friendly
+has...to have... manual mode
+Universal flash foot, or least happy to take my adapter
+non dedicated lens[is this even possible with today's cameras? IF I buya Acne camera I want to also use Xcompany lens if its possible any company that's more willignto make adapters for their systems?]
+not...going to eat me alive financially. got my degree just need exsperiance for my resume also I'm not going to be printing above poster size so I dont need OMG TOP OF THE LINE PIXILATIONS lets face it we can get a good camera under $1000 I'm all for saving up.

Any advice is quite appreciated! Thank you SO much in advance!

Eriol
11-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Inoli Requirement 1: +easy step from Annalog so pretty user friendly
Advice: I suggest that you go to a camera store and try out the cameras. The way the controls are laid out on the camera will influence which camera you buy. I have never used a Hasselblad, so I don't understand what transition from analog you are seeking.

Inoli Requirement 2: +has...to have... manual mode
Advice: Any of the DSLR cameras from major brands (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus) will have this mode. Again, you should go to a camera store and try the camera out, as how the camera operates in manual mode will differ.

Inoli Requirement 3: +Universal flash foot, or least happy to take my adapter
Advice: Each camera brand has its own hot shoe. If you want to use your existing film flashes, you will have to buy an adapter that fits with your chosen DSLR hot shoe. Note that some of your film flashes will work with DSLRs (check specs first), but certain functions specific to the camera will not be available using film flashes. Other film flash just simply won't work with DSLRs.

Inoli Requirement 4: +non dedicated lens(is this even possible with today's cameras?)
Advice: Nearly impossible. Each camera brand has its own set of lenses. Because of digital technology, the lens has computer chips inside that communicate with the DSLR camera body, so lenses cannot be interchanged between brands. Some third-party companies do make a limited set of mount adapters to allow you to mount a lens from a different camera brand than your camera, but such adapters are limited to a few lenses. You can also buy third-party lenses like Tokina and Sigma that can be mounted on your chosen camera. These are cheaper than the brand name cameras, but certain functions may not be available.

Inoli Requirement 4: +not...going to eat me alive financially.
Advice: The entry level DSLR cameras are about $500-$800 (Nikon D60, Canon Digital Rebel XTi, etc.). A off-camera flash (strobe) will cost about $300-$500 depending on model.

Overall, your choices should focus around the major camera brands: Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, and Olympus. Nikon and Canon are the dominant brands with plenty of first-party and third-party accessories.

sklathill
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
analog? Minolta 7Ds are cheap these days.

manual? They all got them.

universal lens mount? The Pentax K mount is the closest thing right now... unless you count Olympus and having the shortest flange distance, which makes all adapters possible.

cheap? Lots of cheap stuff from 2+ years ago.

flash? You gotta be careful with flash. the flash trigger voltage might not be what either side of the connection wants. Easy to end up with a dead flash or dead body if you're not careful.

if you're doing professional portraiture and weddings... well, there are some standard stuff out there these days. I'm personally not sure how I'd do a pro wedding setup for under 1000, really.

Aera
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Right now I'm desperately trying to decide between a Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 and H50.
The price difference is not so much, but I don't know if I really get so much more functions for it.

First I had thought about buying an expensive SLR, but changed my mind, because I'm afraid that I will grow tired of so many functions and options. That's why I decided to buy something cheaper for the beginning.
What I want are clear and sharp colors, good pictures taken inside rooms without a flashlight and the possibility to work with sharp and blurred areas in the picture.
I've been wondering if the H10 would already be enough for these things or if I really need the H50. And all thes tests and reviews on the web just confuse me more and more :( Basicly both cameras are not bad, but I still can't tell which one would be better for my needs.

Does anyone have experiences with one of these two cameras?

Sorry for my bad english >_<

Tenchi Fan
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Right now I'm desperately trying to decide between a Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 and H50.
The price difference is not so much, but I don't know if I really get so much more functions for it.

Looking at both specs side by side (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=sony_dsch10%2Csony_dsch50&show=all) the H50 may have a bit of advantage in lower light.
H10 (F3.5 - F8.0)
H50 (F2.7 - F4.5)

H50 seems to have a bit more flash range. Sometimes good , and sometime you will need to a diffuser on flash because it may be too bright.

It also has aperture and shutter priority so you can have more control over depth of field, etc.

Aera
01-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Tenchi_Fan:
Ok, thanks a lot for your opinion :)

I was at some local stores today and tested the H10 - again. Unfortunately noone seems to have the H50 :( But I think I'll order the H50 nontheless,I can still send it back if I really don't get along with it.
But I'm quite positive that I'll be happy with it, I already like the H10 so much <3

avskull
01-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I have my mind set on a canon 5d mark ii, however the only thing keeping me from buying it is the 30 fps thing, its not progress so does the frames per second mean a variation of interlace. Because I like to frame edit video too.

should i wait till someone make a progressive hybrid.

sklathill
01-18-2009, 01:32 PM
The canon 5d mk ii is 30 fps, 1080p. It's definitely not interlaced.

Rock nam Lee
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Agreed with sklathill. 30fps is still 30fps, regardless if it's interlaced of progressive, interlaced just has 60 fields-2 in each frame. I'm just happy that noone decided to make a 1080i DSLR cam (as far as I'm aware.)

I am curious though, are the frames in the video high-quality? I understand it's hi-def which could be a is a MPs, but I'm pretty sure you can't have it so that each frame of the video is like 9mp. I just wanna know this for a fact.

ViCorp
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Found this on the DPreview forum in regards to the output on the 5d Mark 2.
"5D Mark II shoots in 1080P, outputs 1080i from the HDMI connector. That means you can't output 1080P from the camera's HDMI port.

There's no "TV converts it back to 1080P" magic going on, or need to check your TV. You can't output 1080P from your camera.

If you want to see the full 1080P video, the easiest, and unfortunately expensive, option is transfer the mov file to your computer, use a Blu-Ray burner to create a Blu-Ray disc and play it back on your Blu-Ray player."

Rock nam Lee
01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Well you could transfer it over to your computer and watch it there 1080p can't you? I would guess you could but I'm not too familiar with with these new 1080 DSLR cams. More into the video cams. Would love to get my hands on one of them though.

avskull
01-18-2009, 09:58 PM
i see thanks for the input, the reason why i perfer progressive some times i edit video frame by frame, and the interlaceing leaves little bars of lines on any movements. yeah i'm a pc person so i edit every thing on computer. it look intersting because of course the full frame sensor, however i'll probally get a real 1080p camcorder that way i know i'm getting progressi've and non canons frames per second thing.

Rock nam Lee
01-18-2009, 10:10 PM
You can always de-interlace which shouldn't be too hard to do. But it's true that having to NOT go through that effort is nice. Also depending on the screen it could vary.

sting57
01-25-2009, 05:31 AM
I am curious though, are the frames in the video high-quality? I understand it's hi-def which could be a is a MPs, but I'm pretty sure you can't have it so that each frame of the video is like 9mp. I just wanna know this for a fact.

the frames are 1080p, which is 1920x1080, about 2mp images. check out the blog:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/20/something-very-interesting-is-comingboth-to-this-blog-and-to-our-industry/

the images on that blog are frame grabs from the video..

if you want something like 9mp frames, you'll have to go RED :p

avskull
01-25-2009, 07:41 AM
the images on that blog are frame grabs from the video..

if you want something like 9mp frames, you'll have to go RED :p

(redone) i wouldnt know how to edit something that large, would you need to net render video that large. since red one is something like 17k, that only makes me feel that the 5d2 is way cheap. and i suppose if anything i'll just be stuck with a full frame digital. :angel2: i just hate editing frames that have a motion blur to them.

Lovelychristina
02-14-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm trying to find a new camera to upgrade to. I've used two of the older versions of the Kodak Series My first one I don't remember what exactly it is, The door broke off on that one. but the second one was a EASYSHARE Z1275 Zoom Digital that had a problem with sucking brand new batteries dry as soon as you took a photo. My dad owns a very old Canon(?) camera he got back In the 70's I believe he said, that I've used before. Currently I'm using my father's Samsung L100 Until I can find a better camera. I'm looking for suggestions for a more advance camera, I'm still learning about them though. I need something that can give a "clearer" shot, than what can get with the Samsung. All help is Loved ^_^

Tenchi Fan
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Canon PowerShot SX1 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=18301#ModelFeaturesAct) 10 megapixel CMOS sensor and shoots in RAW. Shoot full HD videos 1920 x 1080 pixels at 30 fps.

Pretty good stats for someone that wants video and doesn't want to go dSLR.

mrgetalife
03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
As of right now with point and shoots. If you're on a budget then look into the Canon "A" series. Like the A590 or A1000. They are larger then their Elph counterparts. But they also use AA's if that is any bonus to you.

Avoid Nikon P&S for now. They are horrible. And Kodak yeah they aren't too great either.

Chloe-Chu
03-16-2009, 10:26 PM
One word! Canon!

MochaValentino
03-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I was looking at getting the Canon Powershot A2000IS, 'cause it seems like a good camera. (I just need to sell my Nikon first...) Anyone else have this one?

StarsCASSiOPEiA
06-17-2009, 05:19 AM
Well, hello photographers!

I'm also looking to upgrade to a DSLR sometime here in the future. (Currently I have a Canon Powershot A540. I liked it and it worked pretty well, but it's getting a little old and beat up. The flash doesn't always wok now and sometimes the lens doesn't open all the way. But it's been battered many times and it still keeps working...).

I'm willing to spend about $500 on a camera (possibly a little more). My dad looked around online a bit and suggested the Nikon Coolpix P90 and the Canon Digital Rebel XSi (I think). The Canon camera is at least $100-150 more- would it really be worth it in the long run? And out of curiosity, are there any other SLRs in that price range that would be worth looking at?

Thank you very much!

shiroin
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
the P90 is not a SLR. Perhaps you mean the D90? which is a more expensive SLR than the Canon XSi, but its performance (high ISO, focusing, video) well surpasses the XSi.

I will elaborate more when I am back.

mrgetalife
06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
In the $500 range its the P90 which yeah its one of the higher end P&S. Still not DSLR. But i'd avoid it none the less.

But answer this question, going from a slightly pocketable A540. Are you willing to go large with a DSLR? DSLR's are great and all. But to some people its just not worth the size/weight even though they've gotten down in price dramatically over the years.

StarsCASSiOPEiA
06-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Ah, okay, thanks for telling me about the P90! When I looked at that camera I was a bit confused, Dad had called it an SLR. He must've just skimmed reviews on it's Amazon page or something, which would make sense. And now that I've done a little searching I see the D90. It's a bit expensive for me... perhaps one of the older D-something models would be better.

I honestly wouldn't mind the size difference (and I know what you mean, the A540 is pretty good for just shoving in a bag and such). I don't mind carrying around that extra weight if it means I can get a clear picture without flash and lens issues.

Thank you both!

EDIT: Eeep. Expensive. T_T I'm taking a look at the Canon XS now, but I'm not sure how I feel about buying an older model when you said the D90 already surpasses its updated version.

tfcreate
06-17-2009, 06:47 PM
A lot of what you want to do is going to depend on your commitment to photography.
If this is going to be a solid hobby, (something that you're not going to walk away from in a couple of months,) then I would suggest a used D80, D70s or even a used member if the Canon XT line. Remember, used doens't mean bad it just means used. Most of them are well kept and have been sold because the user has upgraded, has an extra body that they don't use, or just couldn't afford to keep it. Pentax has killer cameras as well the "K" series are the most under rated line on the market right now, and is at least as good as the "top two."

Cruise Amazon (avoid Ebay) for some bargains.
Remember, you are also setting up for the family of lenses you intend to buy as well, so choose the system that best serves you and your style.
TFC

StarsCASSiOPEiA
06-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Tfcreate, you're certainly right about that! I've been interested in photography for years and I figure something better than my beat-up point and shoot is in order. It's not like I want to be a total professional or anything, but I do enter photographs in contests like the county fair and such (which is surprisingly really competitive).

Thanks for the advice on looking at used cameras! Certainly lowers the price range, and it's probably a good idea for someone with a limited budget like me. I just remembered that one of my friend's close relatives is a professional photographer, he might know where to get used equipment from somewherer nearby (avoiding shipping costs!).

Thank you very much for all of your advice!

sklathill
06-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Instead of a new camera, have you considered a new firmware?

Certain Canon cameras, including your A540, have the CHDK firmware available as an option to them. It can definitely add some cool stuff. Live histogram on shooting, super fast shutter speeds, intervalometer, usb tethering. You might want to check it out.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

StarsCASSiOPEiA
06-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Instead of a new camera, have you considered a new firmware?

Certain Canon cameras, including your A540, have the CHDK firmware available as an option to them. It can definitely add some cool stuff. Live histogram on shooting, super fast shutter speeds, intervalometer, usb tethering. You might want to check it out.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Interesting, thank you!

What's driving me up the wall, though, is the body of my A540 itself. The flash only goes off maybe 10% of the time (on the standard Auto shooting mode) and the lens doesn't open all the way. Sometimes I have to gently play with it to get it to work correctly.

If I can find a way to fix those two problems, the firmware would probably be something that'd be reasonable. Thank you very much!

martinhwong
06-24-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm planning to get the Nikon D300s (D400) when it comes out, what do you guys think? good for cosplay?
Or is there any suggestion? I'm planning to spend around $1,500 - $2,000 USD

P.S.: I created a facebook group for cosplay photography:
http://www.facebook.com/events.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=101681341666

Tatsu-chan
06-24-2009, 03:31 AM
hi I've been thinkig about this for a long time:
I have a camera but the screen busted on it and it doesn't have a viewfinder on it so essentially its worthless unless I get it fixed
Should I go out and buy a new camera or would it probably be better to get the screen fixed? which do you think is cheaper? and if I do get a new one what would you guys reccommend?
I'dwant a digital that has a viewfinder also, I would want it to also be a little sturdier, but also have good features for an artist, but I don't want it too pricey as I'm going to college soon if anyone could help me out that'd be great ^__^

mrgetalife
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Um fixing the screen will be like half the cost of the camera. And I have no idea what camera you have.

But Canon's are a fairly safe bet. Their A500/1000 series cameras are budget cameras as they don't include Li-ion batteries and are larger. But they have many of the features their compact bretheren have for much more.

ronaldhennessy
07-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey fellow photogs. What do you think about the Nikon d5000? I currently have a d50 and aside from the HD video, SD-HC and faster fps, is it a giant leap or a small step? I also see it does not have a LCD on the top, which I've gotten quite used to on my d50 for the 4 years I had it.

Jim3535
07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
The D5000 looks like a nice camera. It's a much newer generation that the D50, so you can expect better processing and better ISO performance. There are also some nice features like the articulating screen and live view / video.

There are a few drawbacks to it though. It doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body, so you have to manually focus with non AF-S lenses. This might be a big problem if you are serious about photography and want to get some new lenses in the future. The screen is also a smaller, lower resolution one compared to the ones on the D90, D300, D700, D3, etc. The loss of the top LCD would be annoying too. Not only for convenience, but because the rear screen would be used, and that would burn battery power much faster.

The other catch is the price. It's pretty close to the D90, so if you're really into photography, that might be a better upgrade. Alternatively, If you can find an D80 or D200, that would still be a nice upgrade and much cheaper. (I shoot with a D80)

FiveRings
07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
The D90 is a more logical successor to the D50 than the D5000, IMHO.

I just picked up a Canon T1i personally and I have to say, I love it! If that's over your budget, the T1 was just recently announced and will be out in the next few weeks. If you have a bigger budget, you can go for the Canon 50D or Nikon D300 or D700.

I was talking to the guys at a local camera shop and he summed it up pretty nicely in saying that your camera and it's features/sensors will likely be out of date in a year or so, but your lenses (unless they change the mount) will last you a decade and keep most of it's value. Focus more on your lenses and less on your camera.

ronaldhennessy
07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I broke down and got a refurb'd D90 at a local camera shop (much better pricing than Best Buy BTW). I also got the kit lens. I notice the lens is much bigger and zoom a lot better than the usual 18-55mm. I'm hoping to get good use of this for about 5+ years. I put in 4 years with my D50, so I consider that a pretty good run. Hope to use it well at Otakon!

tfcreate
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Now I'm going to say a dirty word to you....
PRACTICE.
The technology can't do it all, and the worst way to break in a new camera is the
first time you really need it.
And, Congratulations.
TFC

Misake-chan
07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
i have a mega question ;-;

ok, so im thinking of buying a camera that can take pictures like these
http://akusesu.deviantart.com/art/Angel-Sanctuary-Battle-Angel-83015729
and that i can use for a long time to come, im going into photography, so basically a good camera that can be used for good cosplay photoshoots, and for photography classes..

i was looking at a 400d buuut.. im not sure which one would suit my needs best :/ the price can be set around 500 (or a little more)

any ideas? did i choose the wrong models? Suggestions?

Tenchi Fan
07-28-2009, 08:48 PM

and that i can use for a long time to come, im going into photography, so basically a good camera that can be used for good cosplay photoshoots, and for photography classes..

i was looking at a 400d buuut.. im not sure which one would suit my needs best :/ the price can be set around 500 (or a little more)

Not sure of the camera used but it might be at a premium for the lens itself. You should budget for the lenses also. Best first purchase is usually a fast 50mm.

shiroin
07-28-2009, 09:05 PM

his (the photographer's) setup is very expensive. 400D + 50/1.8 might be able to achieve similar effects.

good luck with photography.

Jim3535
07-28-2009, 09:38 PM

A DSLR and a fast lens is your best bet. I can't really comment on canon stuff since I shoot nikon. A 50mm f1.8 is the cheapest way to get a lot of creative potential with depth of field effects.

Just keep in mind that it's the photographer that takes the picture, not the camera (despite what camera ads tell you). Also, be aware that some post processing is often necessary to give photos a certain look.

Eriol
07-28-2009, 11:02 PM

That photograph most likely had some post processing done to it. Thus, you're looking at the cost of software on top of your photographic equipment.

The best expenditure of money initially is to upgrade your skills. Take a photography class or workshop. Read some books on the subject. Then, work your way to the camera and lenses. Lenses last a lot longer than the camera (as cameras become obsolete quickly), so consider putting more money into the lenses.

Misake-chan
07-29-2009, 02:08 PM
thanks Tenchi fan, Shiroin, Jim 3535, and Eriol! you guys all helped a lot! I have a very good idea on what im gonna do now :)

Alpha Odyssey
07-31-2009, 07:02 PM

any ideas? did i choose the wrong models? Suggestions? Hi, YaY!!!

Looking at the picture, it looks as if it had a bit of post processing. The contrast looks like it was increased. Colour saturation looks like it was boosted, too.

Congrats on getting your future camera. I'd just looked at a B&H catalog today (July 31 2009). I was looking at the prices for entry level gears from Pentex, NIKON, Canon, Olympus, Sigma....you're in luck! There is an entry level camera with lens for under 500.00.

Which camera brand is better? None, all. The quality for slrs are pretty equal for all cameras since it's so compeditive. At this level, the quality and price will be similar. No one camera maker will shock you buy packing in a high end lens or something.

The key thing to remember, as everyone said, buy a cheap body (because Today's tech is tomorrow's landfill) and invest in your lens. All entry level slr will likely take about (under) 100,000 shots before it dies. Lenses are more important than the body.

Great advice from others: buy yourself an inexpensive 50mm 1.8. It should be around 100.00. There's no sense in trying to find one used at a good price. This lens tends to hold it's value very well (check online auction site)...and can still get 90% of it's retail value unless it's really abused.

If you're at any future con that I'm at, you're welcome to hang out with me. I usually gravitate towards other photographers and chitchat (sucking information from their brains, actually). We'll shoot and exchange ideas.

Good luck! Let us know what you finally get!

Personal opinion, Nikon:
Personally, I use nikon for it's F mount lens. Nikon's F mount hasn't changed since Dwight D Eisenhower was president. Like fixing a Landrover in a 3rd world country, if I find myself in some backwater, 3rd world country, in some house of ilreupute, and come across a Nikon lens, I can throw it on any 21st Cen Nikon body and keep going! Of course it's not realistic for me to end up in 3rd world country (I rather in Japan if I were in such a situation).

With such a longevity of lenses in the world, I believe I can find used lenses at a cheaper price than other camera brand.

Also, to me, Nikon has the most logical layout of controls.

Misake-chan
08-01-2009, 02:57 AM
wow! thanks a lot for this! If i see you around a con near me, ill deffinetly talk to ya!
Thanks for the congrats as well, im really excited about getting a better camera than i already have : D!

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Hello, I am in need of some assistance in trying to figure out what camera to buy. I have an old canon that still works but I now wish to step up and buy a DSLR.

My price range is from 700+, if that helps you any with selecting some DSLRís for me.

This is not only for cosplaying purposes but for fashion, art and college as well. I would love the images to be clear, and detailed, as well as a few recommended lenses to allow for great moving shots, and other purposes. Any other items that would be of great use to my camera would also be loved, such as lens cleaner, something that has dust reduction sensors, types of flashes if any, ECT.

In all I know that how the image turns out is the photographer itself, and their editing skills if any are used, and how they took the picture.

Thank you for your time.
Miss Sin.

mrgetalife
08-07-2009, 10:05 AM
My price range is from 700+, if that helps you any with selecting some DSLRís for me.

Depending on where you live I'd try to go to a camera store to just at least hold the camera first. Bestbuy will have nikon and canon usually. But at $700 I would say Canon or Pentax would be your two best bets. I use Nikon myself but under $700 if you plan to break out of the kit lens and are under a budget you have very few budget options.

Except for a maybe a 50MM Prime lens. I would say just buy a Kit set and wait to you figure out what else to buy at a later time.

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I think you misunderstood me, $700 is the cheapest I will go, under 700 is no go for me, thus the 700 plus sign meaning up $700 would be loved.

djaxle
08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Little Miss Sin.

May I suggest the brand new Nikon D3000 - http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09073005nikond3000.asp

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I have never tried a Nikon before, the price is $599 but for what is has are interestingly well off for being so cheap (if that is the correct term).

I'm interested to say the least. Thank you, this will be in my Camera list. When I get six cameras that intrest me, I will then head to the store or stores and from there hold each camera ect ect, and make a final decision.

This is one.

Eriol
08-07-2009, 11:24 AM

This is not only for cosplaying purposes but for fashion, art and college as well. I would love the images to be clear, and detailed, as well as a few recommended lenses to allow for great moving shots, and other purposes. Any other items that would be of great use to my camera would also be loved, such as lens cleaner, something that has dust reduction sensors, types of flashes if any, ECT.

If $700 is your lowest limit, what is your highest limit? Camera equipment can get really expensive. Be sure you know what aperture, shutter speed, exposure, ISO, etc. is before you buy the equipment.

Here are my suggestions for the serious photographer (Nikon).

Camera body:
D200 or D300
If you really have the money, spend on the D700.

Flash:
SB-900

Lenses:
50mm AF-S f/1.4 (for single-person portraits and low-light situations)
85mm AF f/1.4 (for single-person portraits and low-light situations)
24-70mm AF-S f/2.8 (good for portraits, fashion, and concerts)
70-200mm AF-S f/2.8 VR (for sports, action photography, good for upper-body portraits too, good for concerts, good for fashion)
AF-S 105mm VR f/2.8G (good for macro photography)

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 11:47 AM
My highest is $9000.
If that helps any $700-$9000

:]

Eriol
08-07-2009, 12:40 PM
My highest is $9000.
If that helps any $700-$9000

:]

Whoa. o_o
Well then, you can actually afford everything in my list. Go to a camera store and check out the equipment in my list. Very large dedicated camera stores will have the lenses for you to try out at the sales counter. Places like Best Buy will only have the cameras for you to try out.

I strongly suggest that you get some insurance coverage on your equipment if you plan on buying that much.

If you buy some of those lenses I mentioned, they will last you for years (10+ years if you take care of them). The camera body may become obsolete in one year, but don't be tempted to upgrade. You can make a camera body go for 4 years before its age starts to show.

If you decide to go with Canon, you'll find an equivalent set of equipment on my list. I'm not sure what the other camera manufacturers offer.

Good luck.

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 01:15 PM
So now it is between Nikon or Canon, -insert dramatic music-
I plan to cherish each and every part carefully, for cameras have been a passion since I first held a camera when I was younger. Now that I am off to college and am taking photography classes I now want a more professional camera, with something that will offer freedom and learning experience.

Thank you very much, Eriol. :]

When I buy the camera and finally take photos of my first cosplayers with said camera, I hope that everyone will enjoy it and comment.

mrgetalife
08-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Um jumping from a P&S. I say stay within the lower end Prosumer models like the D90.

I'd avoid the D200 or D300 or D700. I don't know what Canon's equivalent starts. By which what i mean Nikon cuts out the Scene modes and the "FULLY AUTOMATIC" mode is vastly different on a D90 vs D300. The D90's Fully Automatic mode is vastly superior in the way its programmed. Thats because its meant to be handed to a consumer who at first has no clue what they are doing and get decent results. Where as the D300 etc does have some sort of fully automatic but its not as complex and meant to be used in Manual, or Shutter/Aperture priority. So I suggest sticking with something with the ability to fall back on with "SCENE" modes.

Since you said you never had a DSLR. Going staight to the highest end camera can end up with bad results. As in until you really learn. You might be really frustrated with the results or get used to doing it one way because thats the only way you can get results from the camera.

I mean seriously if you're that loaded with cash a $1000 body is a drop in the bucket. Considering most highend glass starts at $500.

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 01:39 PM
But wouldn't you learn as you continue to learn about the camera itself, would it be fair for me to buy a camera that only gives some effects of what I want only to then become frustrated for what it canít do?

I know it seems like I just want a new camera to fiddle around with, and if I came on that way then I am sorry but I really do love photography. And $9000 is not loaded, its the money I have saved for a DSLR camera since I was in 6th grade, till now entering college. So seven years of saving should show that I am passionate to learn, even through all the frustrations.

But!

I do understand what you mean or so I think I do, would it be better if I say, just buy the body and perhaps one camera lens at a time until I learn, instead of just buying everything as soon as I buy the camera itself? Maybe breaking it down one lens at a time, or something like that would help me learn instead of becoming frustrated with so much.

(I am appreciating all this help by the way, so thank you everyone.)

mrgetalife
08-07-2009, 02:03 PM
$9000 is a very heathy budget. To blow it all at once on equipment you've never used is foolish. I say start with a D90 on the nikon side its a solid camera that has dual command dials like the higher end models have. Lets just say the higher end models just don't have consumer features. But consumer models you can always choose not to use it but its there. (I don't know canon's equivalent).

If you want to go highend glass to begin with. Start with something human sized like Eriol recommends like the 24-70mm AF-S. After 6 months of solid shooting with that lens you'll realize what kind of lenses you'll want to graviate towards. I personally gravitate short/wide because I don't know what the hell to do with long lenses with the proximity of what i'm shooting. But this choice will only really be found out by you via experience.

Shooting with lowerend equipment sometimes you get a better experience in the learning process. Like with the fancy image stablization (IR/VR) or even fast glass. Its great and all. But some really bad habits are formed when it correct mistakes that would show up in regular slower lenses.

Jim3535
08-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I would advise against buying all kinds of stuff at once. The problem with getting into this is you don't know what you want / need until get started.

My advice would be to get a reasonable camera body, but not a super high end one. Those things go obsolete all the time and by the time you get really good at it, you probably want an upgrade anyway. A D80 / D90 would be a good choice (I shoot with a D80). The D200 is a great bargain if you can still get them. The high end bodies add some capabilities, but they aren't nearly as significant as going to an SLR.

Lenses are going to make more of a difference than camera bodies and they are much better investments since they hold their value well. Try to get fast lenses (f2.8 or faster) since they allow for more shooting options, and generally perform much better.

You'll also want a flash. Something like an SB-600 (or manual flashes if you want to get into the strobist thing).

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Now that you do mention it $9000 is rather hefty, and I should save it up for when the time comes after experience, and I will be ready instead of just leaping in.

I now understand where you both are coming from, as I have re read my posts and found myself to be to ambitious and over zealous for something that still needs to be learned, and practiced. Not to mention by having to many options after spending so much would possibly cause unneeded stress, and anxiety over not knowing how to handle all its functions.

Thank you both. I will take a look at both the D80/D90s and from there I suppose continue?

Eriol
08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Now that you do mention it $9000 is rather hefty, and I should save it up for when the time comes after experience, and I will be ready instead of just leaping in.

I now understand where you both are coming from, as I have re read my posts and found myself to be to ambitious and over zealous for something that still needs to be learned, and practiced. Not to mention by having to many options after spending so much would possibly cause unneeded stress, and anxiety over not knowing how to handle all its functions.

Thank you both. I will take a look at both the D80/D90s and from there I suppose continue?

Little Miss Sin,
Mrgetalife is correct that the D200/D300/D700 class of cameras do not have any automatic scene modes. They are not designed to behave like point-and-shoots. There are no crutches to fall back on. You will have to learn to use the camera. The D200/D300/D700 are powerful cameras.

To avoid you making a bad financial decision and then feeling regret, I agree with you that you should buy one lens and one body. Take them to your photography class. Practice using them at your family gatherings. Learn to use them as much as you can. Practice even when there is no class assignment.

This is a good set of starter equipment:
Nikon D90 (this has the automatic scene modes for days when you want the camera to do the work)
Nikon 18-200mm VR lens (this is a good "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" lens)
Nikon SB-600 flash
Total cost: about $2000 before sales tax; you also have to buy memory cards.

If you outgrow the camera body, you can still re-use the flash and lens on your next Nikon camera body. When you find out what types of shots you like to take, then trade in your 18-200mm for a different lens.

The price difference between a D90 and a D200 or D300 is not so much the technology, but the ergonomics and durability of the camera. You can do certain things faster on a D200 or D300 than a D90. The D200 and D300 take a bit more beating than a D90. Once you become proficient at shooting decent photos, you start to appreciate those aspects more.

Put the rest of the money into the bank and let it collect interest. Use it to pay for your college tuition (more valuable than any camera equipment!)

Little Miss Sin
08-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Alright then, the decision has been made, thank you all for helping me, not only choose my camera, but save my money. Much gratitude to you all, I hope to come up with wonderful images soon, that photographers and others will enjoy.

Thank you once again.