PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing w/ Sharpies

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

lilylighting
05-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a question about dying a wig. I heard of a way you dye it with sharpies but I'm not sure how that works. Can anyone give me more information about it?

ButterflyPanic
05-21-2006, 01:23 PM
It works like a charm, here's how you do it! (My Michiru / Sailor Neptune wig in my gallery was dyed with Sharpies)

What you need:
1. 32oz bottle of %70 rubbing alchol
2. 5+ sharpies (the more sharpies, the darker the color)
3. A Spray Bottle
4. An Old Soda Bottle or Container to mix the dye

Sharpie Preparation:
1. Break the sharpie to get the ink filler.
2. Cut the ink filler down the side with an exacto knife (reccommended, I've tried scrissors and you can sometimes lose a lot of dye)

Instructions:
1. Pour half the alchohol in the soda bottle and keep the rest of it in the original alchohol bottle.
2. Place the split ink fillers into the alchohol bottle, secure the cap, and shake a lot!
3. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, shake again, and then let it sit again.
4. Pour the dye into a storage container and then put the still clear alchohol into the bottle you used to mix the dye. If any ink fillers fall
out while you are emptying the dye, pick them up and put them into
the still clear alchohol.
5. Repeat the whole setting and shaking process.
6. Put the dye into a common container and shake it up to mix everything.

Applying to wig:
1. Make sure the wig is clean and ready to be dyed.
2. Make sure you are able to dye the wig you bought, some won't. If you
do not know I reccommend asking the person who sold it to you.
3. Use a fine tooth comb and a spray bottle.
4. Spray the dye and comb it through the wig.

Once you have the dye in the wig, let it settle and then rinse it until all of
the excess color runs out of it. If you wish you can repeat the process.
Do not forget to do a test patch before dying the entire wig. To get the dye
out of the wig you can use %91 alchohol. However, only use %70 alchohol
for the dye because anything more powerful may just dissolve the color. PM me if you have any questions.

Jaina Solo
05-21-2006, 01:35 PM
I just dyed a wig yesterday with sharpies! :) I think there are two ways you can do it:

1) Take a sharpie, grab some hair, and start coloring. This is a very long and tedious process and takes a lot of sharpies depending on how long the wig is, but the results look very nice. Once you are done sharpieing the whole wig, rinse it in cold water until the water is clear, then let the wig dry completely. If you see any spots that you missed, go back and sharpie it and then rinse the wig again.

2) Harvest the sharpie ink well and mix it with alcohol so you can dunk or spray the wig with it. This can be a messy process, and the alcohol can cause the ink to streak if you're not careful, but it's much faster than having to hand-color an entire wig, especially if it's a long one. This is the process I used, and what I did was I cracked open a sharpie, took out the ink well and placed it into a jar of alcohol. At first, I just shook the bottle of alchohol every once in a while to get the ink out of the well and into the alchohol, but I noticed that this was taking a long time and wasn't getting all the ink out, so instead I grabbed the ink well and squeezed out as much ink as I could into the alcohol. It was messy but it worked great. Since I was dying a long wig very dark, I used an entire liter of 70% alcohol mixed with 10 sharpies. I then dunked the wig into the mixture (by this time I was using a bowl), and I let the wig dry. However, when letting the wig dry, do NOT hang it on a wig head or by its scalp--the alcohol dripping off with strip the ink off, leaving a very irregular dye job. Lay the wig on a drop cloth on the ground somewhere flat, so that the alcohol can't drip off the wig and take ink with it!

I hope that helps! Good luck!

R1KKu
05-23-2006, 12:10 PM
To get the dye
out of the wig you can use %91 alchohol. However, only use %70 alchohol
for the dye because anything more powerful may just dissolve the color. PM me if you have any questions.

[/COLOR]

I remember a while back someone mentioned using 91% with the markers to color a wig. Just recently I started with this method and Im getting some color into the wigs with the 91%. Do you know for sure if the different alcohols have a different effect on the color?

ButterflyPanic
05-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Yes, %91 percent is usually too high to use with sharpie dye. It takes away a lot of the color because it is too strong. I have had very good luck with %71 though. So yea, the different types do have an effect on the sharpie dye. I usually use %91 to get sharpie dye out.

starcat
05-29-2006, 02:44 PM
What about the starting color of a wig? Will, for example, a light/platinum blonde wig dye like a white wig? I need a light purple wig, but I have a Tina 950 wig I'm not using. It's really light blonde (but I can't remember the actual color shade ><), so could I just dye it? Or would it be better to spring for another wig?

Also, does using any sort of styling product affect the dye?

Killer_Tofu
06-20-2006, 08:15 PM
This thread is really helpfull, it should be sticky (mods: hint hint)

Seventh_Sin
06-20-2006, 08:45 PM
You can do a color test with a wig by cutting off a little bit of hair, wrapping the top in tape, and then coloring it with the sharpie. I don't think a light blonde wig will dye to light purple very well, but it depends on how light the wig is now and exactly what color you want it.

Chas
06-21-2006, 06:42 PM
For the brightest, most vibrant results - coloring the wig directly by hand is best. It takes a while, but it enables you to be up close and it will be easier to catch mistakes. For a shoulder length wig I reccomend up to twelve markers. When you're finished you can rinse the wig in cold water to get rid of any possible residue.

A platinum blonde wig dyes just as well as a white wig.

The problem with alcohol-based homemade dye is that it always rubs off. By coloring the wig directly I've found the color sticks better to the fibers and is less likely to stain fingers and/or costumes.

Gogglegirl
07-01-2006, 01:58 PM
A blonde wig will dye to dark blue well won't it? I foudn a really good wig for my friend but it needs to be blue (and the wig doesn't come in dark blue) so I was going to dye it. and i odn't know how well blond dyes

sweet_magic
07-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone, I have a question. I'm cosplaying as the Yokan version of Toshiya from dir en grey and I wanted to know if I could dye the top of a black wig I have with some sort of blue sharpie. I'm not sure if a blue sharpie will show up on a black wig, or do I need to use a light blue sharpie or a dark blue one? It doesn't have to stand out nessesary but I want to see at least a little blue at the top. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. ^^

ilikeyaoi
07-02-2006, 02:00 AM
sweet_magic_1: No, you cannot make the a wig a lighter color; if you have a black wig, you'll stay with a black wig. For Yokan Totchi I'd recommend starting with the blue wig and then either adding in some black extensions in the back, or coloring that little mullet-part black with some sharpies.

sweet_magic
07-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Oh, okay. I'd never occured to me to just do that instead. Silly me. XD

Thanks for the help by the way. ^^

yamibakura03
07-02-2006, 12:56 PM
A blonde wig will dye to dark blue well won't it? I foudn a really good wig for my friend but it needs to be blue (and the wig doesn't come in dark blue) so I was going to dye it. and i odn't know how well blond dyes

why dont you try mixing black and blue sharpies. hmm get like 3 blue sharpies and one black. then test it on a small strand of the wig to see if you got the right color.

what i do is mix abit black on the blue and i continue until i get the right color for the wig. ^^ different results on color.

TheFontBandit
07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone! This thread was amazingly helpful... I'd heard about people using Sharpies to dye wigs before but had no clue how it was done. and I agree with Killer Tofu, it should definitely be a sticky thread. This gives me all sorts of ideas now... There are a lot of costumes I wanted to do but just couldn't find the right shade of wig. Thanks again!

Ashurachan
07-04-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm just wondering... wouldn't it work to use Letraset Pantone ink instead of sharpies ? May come out a bit more expensive, but those inks are available in small vials for refilling Tria markers, so the mixing part would be a bit less tedious, and the color choice is huge.

TheFontBandit
07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
That's actually a really good idea Ashura! Has anyone tried it? It seems like it would work out well, since it's a similar type of ink.

PinkCow
07-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I have a question regarding this...

Would you say that either directly coloring with or spraying on the Sharpie marker dye is the -best- method for a short, blond wig to become orange? If yes, then I'll do that; if not, could you direct me to a thread with info about a better method?

I don't know much about wigs at all (none, really) so I apologize for not making... much sense.

wiltingflower
07-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I have a question regarding this...

Would you say that either directly coloring with or spraying on the Sharpie marker dye is the -best- method for a short, blond wig to become orange? If yes, then I'll do that; if not, could you direct me to a thread with info about a better method?

I don't know much about wigs at all (none, really) so I apologize for not making... much sense.

Well, do you have more time on your hands or more ink? If you're not rushed for time (and very, very patient), you could color it by hand, coloring in small layers. On a short wig, it shouldn't take you much time at all. Spray dying it is "quicker" (not counting the time it takes to harvest the sharpie ink), but it is messy and will take a few coats to get the whole wig covered.

Cora
07-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Also, if your wig is touching any part of your costume, be careful if you use the spray/dunk method and be sure to rinse it THOROUGHLY otherwise whatever rubs against the costume will turn it colors.

So if you've got the time, hand-color it. For a shorter wig, it won't take so long, and the results will be good. But again, be sure to rinse it well ^^

PinkCow
07-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Thank you both very much. ^^ That's a good point about the wig touching the costume, too--maybe I should look at that before I decide which way to go.

TheFontBandit
07-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Does anyone have any time estimates for dying a wig by directly coloring it with Sharpies? I have a chin-length wig I need to change from blonde to a bright, deep red. I know the color would probably turn out better if I hand-color it than spray-dye it... but my patience is already close to its end after struggling with my Lulu skirt so I'm not sure if I'd be willing to sit down and hand-color it if it's going to take in excess of about 5 or 6 hours. Those of you who hand-colored yours, how long was the wig and how long did it take you?

Kanna-chan
07-09-2006, 09:40 AM
well, if it's going to take that long, I wouldn't suggest colouring the wig all in one sitting, you know. (laugh) When you get tired of it, maybe leave the wig alone for a while and then come back to it later.

koibito813
02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
:p hope i'm posting in the right place for this...^^; well, last halloween i wore a true red colored punky type wig to go with my cosplay. i want to make it more of a burgundy/darker red shade with pretty dark red roots. i don't think i've got much time to buy from katie bair so i'm thinking about following the sharpie method to dye my wig.

just so you know, i'm going to a convention to cosplay as axel from KHII. i've heard of someone who used the sharpie method to die their wig but i'm stuck! i'm pretty sure i'm gonna end up coloring the whole thing in one sit down. XD;

what color sharpie would work best? also, wouldn't wig shops have wig dye on shelf? thanks in advance. :p

Angel Tifa
02-14-2007, 12:43 AM
A little over a wig ago, I've just dyed some blonde hair extenstions with not a sharpie, but a marker I bought at Aaron Brothers that also work's like a charm.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=977224

I didn't use the whole formula with rubbing alcohol, I just simply started coloring the wig with the marker. That works too. Note; my whole wig isn't colored, just some hair extensions in the back are as well as the hair extensions on the bangs.

yamibakura03
02-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Does anyone have any time estimates for dying a wig by directly coloring it with Sharpies? I have a chin-length wig I need to change from blonde to a bright, deep red. I know the color would probably turn out better if I hand-color it than spray-dye it... but my patience is already close to its end after struggling with my Lulu skirt so I'm not sure if I'd be willing to sit down and hand-color it if it's going to take in excess of about 5 or 6 hours. Those of you who hand-colored yours, how long was the wig and how long did it take you?

I just colored a short white wig with one light green sharpie.
it work since i spray into the wig and then let it dry and once more spray more to even the colors. turn out great, just need wash it and make sure i didnt miss any spots XD.

i know coloring it by hand be great but my friend needed it quick so i didnt had time for that. just make sure if your going to spray it into the wig, keep repeating it till the wig is fuly cover. i dont have pics right now but soon i wll.

FE Freak
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
I have 2 green Sharpies ready to go,I was just wondering how much alcohol I'll be needing.The *fabric" of the Sharipie isn't producing as much ink as did in the beginning.All help is appreciated,thank you.

chisainekocat
02-14-2007, 04:27 PM
A 16 fl oz bottle will do, even though you will only need 2/3 of it for making the dye (1/3 per marker as a starting point). Save the rest to clean up your work area.

As you let the filament of the Sharpie sit in the dye, make sure you cut parts of it to let more alcohol soak through. You can also periodically squeeze the filament with whatever tools you have nearby to help extract the ink.

twinkie
02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Could i take a dark colored wig and sharpie color it with a silver sharpie (they have these silver ones that are awesome. XD)

yamibakura03
02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
It wont work since you have a dark wig. unless it was a white wig or a light wig it would work.

to FFfreak: what chisainekocat said is true.

Has anyone mix two different alcohol levels? I have mix a 50% and a 71% and when my dye was ready and spray it on the wig. it turn out a bit better then i thought.

FE Freak
03-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Well I followed your directions,and let the dye sit for about a week,applied it,and while it did dye it darker to an extent, it didn't come out as green when I applied a Sharpie directly onto the hair.Maybe it'd work better if my wig's hair wasn't so dark.I'll just get a lighter colored wig next time,thank you for your help everybody.

yamibakura03
03-16-2007, 12:50 AM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=986155 this what one lime green sharpie did with the wig. ^^ im happy with results.

FE Freak
03-16-2007, 01:55 AM
That confirms it,whenever I want to dye a wig,I'll go with white.Thanks for the visual confirmation.

yamibakura03
03-16-2007, 05:19 PM
no problem. yeah get a white wig. you have better chance of obtaining a lighter wig color. ^^

agent_airline
03-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Yay somebody revived this :)

Heres a wig that started white and got sharpie dyed with 3 different colors:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1010220
It took like a dream!

However, I was working on a blue Forever Young wig and that was disastrous x__x lesson learned, start with white!

yamibakura03
03-16-2007, 05:33 PM
ooo thats a very pretty color ^.^

Yup, best way is to start with a white wig ^6

FE Freak
03-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Sharpie dye not sticking :Part 2

Well since I had a little bit of solution left AND I had some FW ink lying around,I decided to add 2 full squeezes of the stuff into the rest of the sharpie solution and sprayed it on the wig.To my surprise it actually stuck to the wig...it's a lighter shade but it stuck.

kisu-koneko
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
this is great :D if i do this i can buy a cheaper white wig for being axel XD besides most wigs ive seen were too bright red for even axels loverly hair color

TehChibi
03-23-2007, 06:35 PM
:: wiggles in :: Heya, I just thought I'd ask here since it seems the best place to ask.
I'm doing Hyuuga Hinata from Naruto, and I got the wig picked out, but being the type of cosplayer I am, I want it the exact color of her hair, which is a deep blueish purpleish blah.
So i'm going to get it and dye it with sharpies, so.. What would be the best color for me to start with? Would a dark/medium brown work better for her dark hair color moreso than a light blonde?
Thankfully it's a short wig, so anything I do to it will be easy... but, what way have you guys decided is the best? the one that doesn't rub off.. :: shudders :: and about how many sharpies would I need to do a whole wig? (sorry for so many questions!~)

yamibakura03
03-23-2007, 07:06 PM
:: wiggles in :: Heya, I just thought I'd ask here since it seems the best place to ask.
I'm doing Hyuuga Hinata from Naruto, and I got the wig picked out, but being the type of cosplayer I am, I want it the exact color of her hair, which is a deep blueish purpleish blah.
So i'm going to get it and dye it with sharpies, so.. What would be the best color for me to start with? Would a dark/medium brown work better for her dark hair color moreso than a light blonde?
Thankfully it's a short wig, so anything I do to it will be easy... but, what way have you guys decided is the best? the one that doesn't rub off.. :: shudders :: and about how many sharpies would I need to do a whole wig? (sorry for so many questions!~)

A brown wig wont work.

Just start with a purple wig and use one sharpie. since her hair isnt long with one sharpie it can make it dark purple. Check phantomthief gallery. she made her "dark " wig a darker purple with one single sharpie. its pretty.

TehChibi
03-23-2007, 11:01 PM
A brown wig wont work.

Just start with a purple wig and use one sharpie. since her hair isnt long with one sharpie it can make it dark purple. Check phantomthief gallery. she made her "dark " wig a darker purple with one single sharpie. its pretty.

Alas, I would start with a purple wig, but the wig I want doesn't come in purple, see my problem? :: sigh :: That's why i'm dying it myself.....

yamibakura03
03-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Alas, I would start with a purple wig, but the wig I want doesn't come in purple, see my problem? :: sigh :: That's why i'm dying it myself.....

Ok then get a white wig and use two sharpies then.

agent_airline
03-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Hmm.. I use 3 to 5 on all my wigs even though they are short, it helps you get a deeper concentration of color. You don't want it to look white-ish through the color.

TehChibi
03-24-2007, 12:08 AM
@YamiBakura03- Alright, shall do. What would be the best method for getting it on there? =o just coloring by hand and rinsing?

@agent_airline- Aaah, yeah. wow.. that's alot of sharpie :: laughs ::

Hanyaan
03-24-2007, 12:50 AM
You can indeed use a brown wig with colored sharpies, but you'll probably need to test swatches because the results can be unpredictable. This thing right here (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=29016&member=4521) was a light brown (color 8 specifically) wig colored with lime green sharpie in the ancient hand method. An unorthodox combination, but it yielded the dark brown with green highlights color that I was after. Just make sure to rinse; I forgot to rinse that thing and I ended up with my pretty white shirt stained with lime! (Thank god for bleach pens.)

Honestly, for darker colors, starting with white = not a good idea. Get a swatch ring and have fun!

PockyPants
04-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Stupid question: How do I break open the sharpie?

FE Freak
04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
You should get some pliers,I'd use needlenose because it's longer,and just pry the gray part off.It takes a bit of elbow grease though.Just be sure to pry it away from you.Or you could cut it deep enough then pry it,both work.

Tart Doux
04-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Question:

After dyeing a wig with sharpies, either with a homemade alcohol dye or the hand method, can I style it normally? If I use hair spray or similar products, wouldn't the alcohol potentially ruin the dye?

PockyPants
04-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Thank you! :D

Jequila
04-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Question:

After dyeing a wig with sharpies, either with a homemade alcohol dye or the hand method, can I style it normally? If I use hair spray or similar products, wouldn't the alcohol potentially ruin the dye?

Hairspray made my sharpie dye come out, but FW ink worked.

Yukinosama
04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
This thread is awesome! Thanks for all the info!

FE Freak
04-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Question:

Hairspray made my sharpie dye come out, but FW ink worked.

Well I dyed my wig with FW and Sharpie.I used Sally's Conditioner to get it more managable,after a while some of the ink (FW)started coming off.Nothing noticable of course,but still.Yes I did wash it thoruoghly,and as always make sure you test it with a swatch,hope the rambling somehow helped you.

Tart Doux
04-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Okay, thanks.

So what styling products would you recommend for a fully Sharpie'd wig, so that the ink doesn't come out?

Envel
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
You should get some pliers,I'd use needlenose because it's longer,and just pry the gray part off.It takes a bit of elbow grease though.Just be sure to pry it away from you.Or you could cut it deep enough then pry it,both work.

I've found that if you just bend the Sharpie in your hands back and forth a little (with the lid on, of course) if just pops open, no tools required. ^_^

FE Freak
04-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Okay, thanks.

So what styling products would you recommend for a fully Sharpie'd wig, so that the ink doesn't come out?

I cant say,I'd wait for Chisainekocat to answer your question.My wig is 95% FW ink.

I've found that if you just bend the Sharpie in your hands back and forth a little (with the lid on, of course) if just pops open, no tools required. ^_^

Hmm..I never thought of that..I'll try that right away.:bigtu:

Envel
04-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I cant say,I'd wait for Chisainekocat to answer your question.My wig is 95% FW ink.

Hmm..I never thought of that..I'll try that right away.:bigtu:

Yeah, I was just messing around, and they pop open pretty easily. : )

You just have to be careful not to open it too roughly, or the ink filament thing will come flying out at you. XD

yamibakura03
04-05-2007, 11:40 PM

You just have to be careful not to open it too roughly, or the ink filament thing will come flying out at you. XD

XD lolz no need for pliers guys. Yeah just wiggle the sharpie and voila! It open. of course the last wiggle you'll hear a sound which means you open it and the ink looks like a short plastic stick. the hair looking that inside it is the one you need for dipping it in the RA.

chisainekocat
04-06-2007, 12:14 AM

o_o. Wow, thank you! That's a sign I spend waaaaayy too much time on this board. XD

Any styling products without a lot of alcohol in it won't take out the ink from your wig. However, it's nearly impossible to style most wigs without some hairspray, and hairspray has tons of alcohol in it. In that case, just touch your wig as little as possible when styling it. You're going to get globs of ink on your hands, but it shouldn't seriously affect the dye job. Just do what you need to do and refrain from petting your wig or whatever until it dries.

FE Freak
04-06-2007, 12:21 PM
o_o. Wow, thank you! That's a sign I spend waaaaayy too much time on this board. XD

Any styling products without a lot of alcohol in it won't take out the ink from your wig. However, it's nearly impossible to style most wigs without some hairspray, and hairspray has tons of alcohol in it. In that case, just touch your wig as little as possible when styling it. You're going to get globs of ink on your hands, but it shouldn't seriously affect the dye job. Just do what you need to do and refrain from petting your wig or whatever until it dries.

No problem,and I wish you had told me this information yesterday.I was wondering why ink*some* ink kept coming off.It wasn't with hairspray but still.Ok,well I don't have to panic as much as I used to anymore.So to see if i got this right,in the case of conditioner,let it set for a while,THEN style it?

I tried that yesterday with a black sharpie and was like wow, she's right.Think of all the ink I'll be saving from now on.:toothy:

Envel
04-06-2007, 11:32 PM
@FE Freak: It sure as heck saved me a lot of time when I was making a massive dyebath for my Princess Eirika wig. XD Stupid not making turqoise wigs...

And I'll have to make another massive dye bath this year for Etna and again for another round of Eirika dying. ._.

I do think that the Sharpie thing works better if you use a bucket and let the wig soak in it. Someone told me to put it in a spray bottle and comb it through, but the effects of gravity makes all of the dye drip and the top of the wigs never gets dyed as nicely as the rest of it. ._.

FE Freak
04-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Well I dont think combing it through helped me at all,at soon as the mist grabbed the hair,it stuck to it,somewhat resulting in uneven hair dying.

The opposite happens to me,I can never get deep down to the roots of the wig in the back.It's not noticeable but still.

Envel
04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Well I dont think combing it through helped me at all,at soon as the mist grabbed the hair,it stuck to it,somewhat resulting in uneven hair dying.

The opposite happens to me,I can never get deep down to the roots of the wig in the back.It's not noticeable but still.

Yeah, the comb just messed up my wig more than it helped. I also had trouble getting the ink to stick to the roots and close to the scalp of the wig, all the way around. (I assume because of our aforementioned friend Mr. Gravity...)

So I'll be doing Etna with a giant tub of dye instead of trying to comb the dye through all those extensions... Since now I have to redo all the wigs I dyed last year, since the roots are looking slopppy and half-arsed : (

FE Freak
04-08-2007, 11:53 AM
So I'll be doing Etna with a giant tub of dye instead of trying to comb the dye through all those extensions... Since now I have to redo all the wigs I dyed last year, since the roots are looking slopppy and half-arsed : (

Imagine an all green wig with brown roots.<_<Those two colors weren't meant to co-exist on a wig.>_>

Shiroake
04-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Joining the wig party here..once I buy some sharpies, I'm going to attempt to color my white wig into blonde :x I also have a hairdye/hairspray stuff (it's hair spray, but also has dye in it..-checks box- it also sprays on and shampoo's off.) that I will probably be using for styling (gel and hairspray will be my new best friends).

After coloring the whole wig (before styling), am I allowed to wash my wig with shampoo and conditioner like normal hair? Or will the sharpie color come out (meaning I should wash my wig before I begin coloring.)

If this was mentioned already, I'm blind and missed it XD; I read through the thread looking for that. This'll be my first wig and I don't want to screw it up too badly >_>;

Oh, another question: would highlighters work as well? Or would they be too neon colored/wash out too easily?

distantarray
04-08-2007, 08:06 PM
sounds like too much work, use REDKEN shades EQ semi permenant color should cost like $10 it'll be done in 20minutes.

no peroxide or ammonia to damage the wig either.

yamibakura03
04-08-2007, 08:26 PM
sounds like too much work, use REDKEN shades EQ semi permenant color should cost like $10 it'll be done in 20minutes.

no peroxide or ammonia to damage the wig either.

wigs arent real hair so ammonia or peroxide wouldnt matter.

Actually buying single colors wont cost you more then a $1. so it is cheaper then buying Redken. of course, i dont think people have use Redken so the results would not be the same.

distantarray
04-08-2007, 08:31 PM
actually ammonia and peroxide will damage wigs so it will matter.

real or synthetic hair both have cuticles that can be exspanded and damaged with either or.

Envel
04-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Imagine an all green wig with brown roots.<_<Those two colors weren't meant to co-exist on a wig.>_>

Sounds like a pain to dye, if nothing else. : D

As far as the RedKen stuff goes, unless the colors are mixable, and unless it comes in as many colors as Sharpies, it wouldn't help me much. Most of the time I have to dye a wig because the color of the characters' hair is so obscure that they don't even make wigs in it. (Like Princess Eirika's turqoise hair, or Etna's hair, which can't make up its mind if it's red or pink...) And I have yet to dye a wig and not have to mix different colors of Sharpies to get the color that I need.

Besides, I have -yet- to spend $10 on a Sharpie dyebath on any single wig. Unless RedKen comes in some really obscure colors, which I doubt, it would be insanely expensive compared to Sharpies to mix it and get the right shades anyhow.

I've sent my Marth wig through three Sharpie dye sessions, and conditioned him once. There has been no visible damage to him in any shape or form. My Princess Eirika wig went through two dye sessions, and the only thing that has damaged her is the comb itself. (Bad idea to comb dye through a waist-length wig.) Both wigs will be a year old in a month.

So I have yet to see any evidence that the dye itself damages the wigs.

distantarray
04-09-2007, 01:39 AM
actually redken is a professional color company, and it's a mixable color you add developer to

anyways if you want flambouyant colors use special effects color would save you a lot of time and headache.

special effects color NEVER FADES and will even stain metal for weeks so kitchen sinks beware! and wear GLOVES

it does'nt damage the hair you don't have to mix anything, and you can get it in bunch of different colors, you can pick it up at hot topic or punk rock shops. it's like manic panic that actually has staying power.

Envel
04-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Making Sharpie dye is no headache at all. I don't mind it one bit.

Besides, if it stains that easily, then it's an instant no-go. When I dye my wigs with Sharpie, I have no problem with the dye cleaning up quite easily, but the dye itself doesn't come off of the wig. (Unless I want it to.) The last thing I need is stains all over my house. (I refuse to dye wigs outside now because of a mishap last year.)

It's also been a year, as I said, and I have yet to see any fading in any of the wigs that I have dyed. I have also already mentioned that the dye does not damage the wigs. And besides, none of the Hot Topics where I live sell any of that dye you're talking about. (I've looked to see what they have out of curiosity in the past.) Any dye that Hot Topic does carry doesn't come in very many colors (not as many as Sharpies, anyway), and if I have to order the stuff online, that makes it a lot more pain in the butt than heading down to the craft store and picking up a rainbow of Sharpies.

Besides, as I've already said, even without the shipping costs, Sharpies are still MUCH cheaper than buying the professional hair color.

I would, however, like to see a wig that you've dyed with your method to see what it looks like. : )

Clive-kun
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I have a question for those who did Axel (or that color red) wigs with this method. I'm going to do my Roxel wig with sharpie and I was just wondering a few questions. Does it work as well on blonde as it does on white? And if I'm coloring (not making the solution with alcohol and everything) right on the wig, can I style it first? Thanks!

sodman2k
04-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I am making an Envy wig which is currently a dark blonde colour which is to be dyed (using acrylic ink and alcohol) and styled (hopefuly) in an acurate "palm tree" style. My question is how do i avoid damaging the dyeing of the wig when i style it? Should i avoid certain products? what does everyone else use to style shapie/FW dyed wigs?
Sodman2k

Seventh_Sin
04-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Just don't use massive amounts of hairspray - it'll cause the dye to streak or come off.

Tigerzeyes
04-14-2007, 02:35 PM
If I were to spray dye a wig in a bathtub... would the Sharpie stain the bathtub? Is Sharpie difficult to get off stuff like... sinks and bathtubs?
What kind of cleaning products will do it?
My mom will KILL me if I stain her bathroom.

Bahzi
04-14-2007, 03:33 PM
If I were to spray dye a wig in a bathtub... would the Sharpie stain the bathtub? Is Sharpie difficult to get off stuff like... sinks and bathtubs?
What kind of cleaning products will do it?
My mom will KILL me if I stain her bathroom.

Yes, my tub was stained purple in places. However, I found that that powdered Oxy Clean stuff got rid off all traces of the Sharpie dye in just a few minutes with next to no scrubbing. I just covered the stained area with the oxy clean and then ran about half an inch of hot water over top of it and let it sit for about 5 minutes, came back and it was gone. O_o

Prior to using the oxy clean, I tried ajax, awesome, and some other cleaner to get it out....no dice. If you don't have Oxy clean, I recommend doing it over a stainless steel sink....those come clean much easier in my experience. ^^

dj_jammer506
04-14-2007, 08:27 PM
One Question... Where do you get obscure shapie colors?

For the Marluxia Wig I'm doing I need to get the Rose color because that would be the perfect color to tint the wig. But I haven't been able to find any.

Is there a website?

- Dj

chisainekocat
04-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Yes, my tub was stained purple in places. However, I found that that powdered Oxy Clean stuff got rid off all traces of the Sharpie dye in just a few minutes with next to no scrubbing. I just covered the stained area with the oxy clean and then ran about half an inch of hot water over top of it and let it sit for about 5 minutes, came back and it was gone. O_o

Prior to using the oxy clean, I tried ajax, awesome, and some other cleaner to get it out....no dice. If you don't have Oxy clean, I recommend doing it over a stainless steel sink....those come clean much easier in my experience. ^^

The same rubbing alcohol you use to make the dye also takes the dye right off. That's why I always buy the big bottles so I have extra to clean up the ink because I'm so accident-prone. ^_^;

dj_jammer: Unfortunately, I don't see Rose, but maybe you can find a similar color here? http://www.dickblick.com/zz213/16/

london2191
04-14-2007, 11:02 PM
-bows down to all of you- This thread helped me loads. =3 Unfortunately, I purchased the wrong sharpie colors *tho' the caps looked awfully similar* so the top of my Yuna wig is slightly crimsony/purple. xD Otherwise, it's turning out nicely, tho' the stench is eckkky.

When rinsing it out, you wait till all the color comes out and use cold water. Will this take the smelly sharpie smell away? Or will I have to run some conditioner through it and wash that?

Clive-kun
04-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Hehehe yay for turning my bathtub red! Hehe anyway, the spikes are going to be loads of fun, I should probably wear gloves, right?

london2191
04-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Yep. Unless you want to come to the ECC with red hands, yeap. xD I already have little brown marks all over my hands and fingernails. >>

I found a new trick! I'm dying my wig a dark brown from a light brown color with, surprise, surprise, a brown sharpie. However, it's not as dark as I'd like it to be. So I'm lifting the upper layers and putting some streaks of black underneath and it's giving it the appearance of looking darker. In case people would like to try that out.

PROBLEM: Okay, so I started sharpie...ing yesterday and I took a couple of breaks and finished in the night. I slept and then started a little bit this morning. I just finished rinsing it and the water was /completely/ clear. Was dye supposed to have run out? Am I supposed to massage it or something or just run water over it on the wig head?

chisainekocat
04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Nope, if the water runs clear, it means the dye has stuck well. You can wash it again if you like to make sure. I would wash it without the wig head though, in case any dye is getting stuck on the wig mesh and can't wash out easily with the wig head in the way.

london2191
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
-sigh of relief- Whooo, thanks. ^^ But there's still that smell. How do I get rid of it? Should I run some conditioner through it?

Annie-Mei
04-15-2007, 03:30 PM
several wig conditioners can be used ,that smell really good ^_^ even a can of Motions Oil Sheen spray has a nice smell (and helps to keep your wig tangle free)

london2191
04-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Can these be found at Wal*Mart or something?

chisainekocat
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
The Wal-mart near my home had a huge display of Motions Oil Sheen a couple weeks ago, so yes.

Envel
04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
One Question... Where do you get obscure shapie colors?

For the Marluxia Wig I'm doing I need to get the Rose color because that would be the perfect color to tint the wig. But I haven't been able to find any.

Is there a website?

- Dj

I get a ton of obscure Sharpie colors from JoAnne or from AC Moore, if there's one close to you, you can try there.

Clive-kun
04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Michaels sometimes has them too....>.> I think they had at least a rose colored one...

And by the way, off topic but while I'm posting I might as well mention. Sharpies come out of the wig when you add a lot of got2b glued freezing spray (x.x my poor hand is bright pink x.x)

london2191
04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
lolllllz, yeah, we already established that awhile ago. Anything with alcohol will take sharpie die out and FW ink too, I believe. And hairspray basically consists of alcohol. So if you /must/ use hairspray, try not to rub the hair or anything like that. -nods-

Clive-kun
04-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, I mean, the Suave stuff didn't take the color out, just that one.

Envel
04-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, I mean, the Suave stuff didn't take the color out, just that one.

Maybe it's because the Got2B Glued stuff is so strong? I don't know.

I wish our Michaels had more Sharpies. *tear*

JoAnne is STILL out of turquoise sharpies from when I bought them... A year ago.

yamibakura03
04-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Making Sharpie dye is no headache at all. I don't mind it one bit.

Besides, if it stains that easily, then it's an instant no-go. When I dye my wigs with Sharpie, I have no problem with the dye cleaning up quite easily, but the dye itself doesn't come off of the wig. (Unless I want it to.) The last thing I need is stains all over my house. (I refuse to dye wigs outside now because of a mishap last year.)

It's also been a year, as I said, and I have yet to see any fading in any of the wigs that I have dyed. I have also already mentioned that the dye does not damage the wigs. And besides, none of the Hot Topics where I live sell any of that dye you're talking about. (I've looked to see what they have out of curiosity in the past.) Any dye that Hot Topic does carry doesn't come in very many colors (not as many as Sharpies, anyway), and if I have to order the stuff online, that makes it a lot more pain in the butt than heading down to the craft store and picking up a rainbow of Sharpies.

Besides, as I've already said, even without the shipping costs, Sharpies are still MUCH cheaper than buying the professional hair color.

I would, however, like to see a wig that you've dyed with your method to see what it looks like. : )

You know i am curious about the stuff he said, but it is true. buying sharpies are cheaper.

To clive-kun: Maybe you spray onto the wig too close or something. i dont have a problem with my wigs when i style it with Got2b.

Envel
04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
You know i am curious about the stuff he said, but it is true. buying sharpies are cheaper.

To clive-kun: Maybe you spray onto the wig too close or something. i dont have a problem with my wigs when i style it with Got2b.

Well, I find it oddly suspicious that a Google search for the product failed...

I have yet to use Got2B on something that was dyed, I can't wait to experiment on my Etna this summer. ^-^ I started making the dye earlier tonight.

london2191
04-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Suave? o.O Well, look on the back of the bottle and if it says Alcohol Denat. or anything similar in the ingrediants, I'm curious as to why it didn't take it out. Otherwise, yeah, I s'pose it'd stay.

But as I said, GOT2B has alcohol in it, which streaks and removes sharpie so be careful when dealing with it. It won't be too much of a problem if you don't play with it too much.

Varna
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I have an urgent question! I'm going to be dying a white, short kanekalon wig with the sharpie dye and I'd like to soak the wig in a tub rather than spraying it on. I need a light greenish-blue color (it's Eureka from Eureka Seven XD) but I'm not exactly sure how much alcohol or sharpies to use. Please help!!

chisainekocat
04-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Do not just soak your wig. Your wig will not absorb the dye; the dye will just wash right off the fibers, and you would probably have to put it in much more dye to cover it than if you just sprayed the dye on. You have to spray it so that the alcohol can evaporate and leave the color stuck to your wig. Someone said they've successfully dyed a wig by quickly dipping it in and out of a tub, if you really must use a tub.

Looking up reference pictures, the color looks a lot like the mint color: http://www.dickblick.com/zz213/16/. I've never dyed a white wig so I'm not sure of the amount of Sharpies. My guess is three mint sharpies and 2/3 of a 16 fl oz. bottle of rubbing alcohol. If you want it a little darker you can mix an aqua sharpie in.

yamibakura03
04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Hmm Maybe for a light color.

One agua and one light green sharpie. (you have to test to make sure you have the right color. i usually mix colors slowly to get the right color(

I have sucessfully dyed a white wig using one lime green for one of my friends cosplay. I for the fun of it mix 1/3of a 50% RA with a 1/3 71%RA. I was testing what it happen and all. But you dont have too ^^. like chisainekocat said, 2/3 of RA be fine.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=986155

Also this was styled using Got2b product and didnt had my hands colored. The only time it happen was when i was spraying the dye onto the wig and smudge it lightly so the dye would stick ^^
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=986157

Envel
04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=986157

SCREW THE RULES, I HAVE GREEN HAIR! XD

/LittleKuriboh fangirlness

I started my Etna wig dye. I actually need to buy some more alcohol to dillute it, my color is too deep. I think it's too pink too, I might put more red in it. But first, I need my extra wig extensions to test it on, since they're a pink color already and not white like what I'm testing on.

Darn you and your weird shade of pink, Etna. >_> You and Shuichi can BURN.

benihime
04-19-2007, 11:34 PM
okay so i was thinking of at least trying this and see how it differentiates (?) to the FW method. but i'm a TAD bit confused on the amounts...and how long it should sit? so you're supposed to shake it, then let it sit for 10 minutes and then shake it again? EH?

also how long do you have to wait for it to dry? :X

yamibakura03
04-19-2007, 11:42 PM
SCREW THE RULES, I HAVE GREEN HAIR! XD

/LittleKuriboh fangirlness

I started my Etna wig dye. I actually need to buy some more alcohol to dillute it, my color is too deep. I think it's too pink too, I might put more red in it. But first, I need my extra wig extensions to test it on, since they're a pink color already and not white like what I'm testing on.

Darn you and your weird shade of pink, Etna. >_> You and Shuichi can BURN.

XD Awesome! you get points for that! actually it is the wig for seto kaiba in season zero. My friend is going to say that phrase at the con.

Varna
04-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Well I used two turquoise sharpies and one sky blue one with the spray-on technique, initially thinking that the color would turn out way too dark but it actually came out perfect!! I was careful to not let the ink saturate too much into the alcohol and alas, I won XD So far everything has been going right for this costume, which is indeed very good. 8D

yamibakura03
04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Well I used two turquoise sharpies and one sky blue one with the spray-on technique, initially thinking that the color would turn out way too dark but it actually came out perfect!! I was careful to not let the ink saturate too much into the alcohol and alas, I won XD So far everything has been going right for this costume, which is indeed very good. 8D

thats good ^^.

livengood
04-20-2007, 11:31 PM
*raises hand* I used the sharpie dye method for my Pleinair wig.

http://members.cosplay.com/costume/84119/

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1034006

I used one of the fat, chisled tiped sharpie markers and 70% alcohol. I used the Turquoise marker. Mine's was a 15 dollar Halloween club hippie wig. It was probably a good six inches longer and tangled like crazy. Now I tamed the monster and it's easy to style. <3

Envel
04-21-2007, 11:02 PM
okay so i was thinking of at least trying this and see how it differentiates (?) to the FW method. but i'm a TAD bit confused on the amounts...and how long it should sit? so you're supposed to shake it, then let it sit for 10 minutes and then shake it again? EH?

also how long do you have to wait for it to dry? :X

The amount of Sharpies depends on the deepness of color you're going for. : ) I don't know how long it takes to dry, I just wait about 30 minutes, and check, and come back alter if it's not dry. : )

I have about 16oz of 70% alcohol, and into it I have put three red Sharpies, a berry, a burgundy, and what I think is a fuschia. It's a very strong dye, and I'm pretty sure I can dillute it more...

I know that's a lot MORE Sharpies than one would normally need, but right now I'm experimenting with the color mixing to see if I can get that PERFECT shade of pink.

And my swatch is dry. If it rinses properly, then I've CONQUERED that Etna shade of pink! *cackles.*

Envel
04-25-2007, 10:15 PM
OMG.

I want to take this moment to say: My Etna Sharpie dye has come out the PERFECT color.

You can't tell at a distance, but if you take the sample lock and put it next to the pictures of the sprites, it's a perfect match! =D

*Does a victory dance.*

benihime
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3090/arraw06ee9.jpg

there's not a sharpie that color is there? (the girl in front, green hair)

if i was to do it the sharpie way, could i make it that light? i'm having aproblem with bombay ink, it wont get that light. i keep adding more white but it's still not lightening up

Envel
04-25-2007, 10:46 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3090/arraw06ee9.jpg

there's not a sharpie that color is there? (the girl in front, green hair)

if i was to do it the sharpie way, could i make it that light? i'm having aproblem with bombay ink, it wont get that light. i keep adding more white but it's still not lightening up

http://www.sharpie500.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/productcatalog/tipfamilydetail.jhtml?attributeId=SNATT40201&currentType=SNTYPE004

Mint? The greenish color at the bottom?

benihime
04-25-2007, 11:29 PM
http://www.sharpie500.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/productcatalog/tipfamilydetail.jhtml?attributeId=SNATT40201&currentType=SNTYPE004

Mint? The greenish color at the bottom?

i looked at the mint at ah whats the place, hobby lobby and it's not the right color, not green enough.

http://www.sharpie500.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/productcatalog/family.jhtml?attrId=ATT0330&currtType=SNTYPE008&count=24

thats about the color im getting with the ink... i guess ill keep doing the ink. unless mixing them might make the color? i doubt it?

Envel
04-26-2007, 12:44 PM
i looked at the mint at ah whats the place, hobby lobby and it's not the right color, not green enough.

http://www.sharpie500.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/productcatalog/family.jhtml?attrId=ATT0330&currtType=SNTYPE008&count=24

thats about the color im getting with the ink... i guess ill keep doing the ink. unless mixing them might make the color? i doubt it?

You can mix Sharpie colors, yes. Not every anime character has a perfect Sharpie (or FW ink) match at all, least of all half the ones I do. For prince Marth I mixed three blues and one navy, for princess Eileek I mixed three turquoise and a blue, and for Etna I had to mix red, berry, magenta, burgundy, and black. All came out the perfect shade I wanted in the end, so you'll probably just have to experiment to get the right color.

Have you tried maybe getting a green sharpie and just putting a few drops of ink into a test dye and seeing if that works?

And always make sure to keep track of what you mix, in case you ever need that color again. : )

benihime
04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
You can mix Sharpie colors, yes. Not every anime character has a perfect Sharpie (or FW ink) match at all, least of all half the ones I do. For prince Marth I mixed three blues and one navy, for princess Eileek I mixed three turquoise and a blue, and for Etna I had to mix red, berry, magenta, burgundy, and black. All came out the perfect shade I wanted in the end, so you'll probably just have to experiment to get the right color.

Have you tried maybe getting a green sharpie and just putting a few drops of ink into a test dye and seeing if that works?

And always make sure to keep track of what you mix, in case you ever need that color again. : )

well the problem is getting it light enough, i'm not sure it would stay light after i mixed it :\

Envel
04-27-2007, 03:15 PM
well the problem is getting it light enough, i'm not sure it would stay light after i mixed it :\

If you get it too dark, you can always dillute it with more alcohol. The hardest part is getting the exact shade. And don't forget, the color will be a little lighter once the dye is completely dry. ^_~

John2p0
04-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I haven't seen a post for this in all my browsing, I have not seen how to get rid of the SMELL of a sharpie-dyed wig. I just applied sharpie directly to the wig, black if it makes a difference. I personally do not notice it, but my friend said the smell of sharpie (or new halloween mask) was very strong.
so far my best bet would be to take some febreeze to it, but in small amounts to prevent any possible sharpie loss.
any other suggestions?

Envel
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I haven't seen a post for this in all my browsing, I have not seen how to get rid of the SMELL of a sharpie-dyed wig. I just applied sharpie directly to the wig, black if it makes a difference. I personally do not notice it, but my friend said the smell of sharpie (or new halloween mask) was very strong.
so far my best bet would be to take some febreeze to it, but in small amounts to prevent any possible sharpie loss.
any other suggestions?

First of all, I don't recommend using a black Sharpie to dye a wig unless you're just putting streaks in it or something...

My wigs have been soaked in Sharpie die, and they don't smell at all. After you dye and rinse it, try soaking it in some wig conditioner. That's all I ever do. And when you have the time, set it out and let it just sit in a well-aired room with a fan on, but make sure it's not blowing your wig too much, or it'll make it all tangled.

John2p0
04-28-2007, 10:34 PM
cool. will do, then. thanks much!
:bigtu:

Envel
04-28-2007, 10:41 PM
cool. will do, then. thanks much!
:bigtu:

No problem, I hope that helps. : )

Wig conditioner after Sharpies is my BEST friend. I think I'ma go attempt to dye Etna now. *Cackles.*

KittyCanuck
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
How does Sharpie dying affect a skintop wig? Does it make the plastic "skin" look funny, or is it ok?

Also, what colour Sharpie would people recommend for turning this colour wig (http://kittenfoot.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=28) ("Emerald Green" from Cosworx) to this darker green (http://www.butterflyscrapbooking.com/Paper%20Accents%20Heavy%20Dark%20Green.jpg).
Is there a dark enough green colour? Can black be used as a mixing colour, to get a darker green?

Envel
05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I soaked Etna in a tub of dye, and then sprayed the crap out of her with the second coat. The skin top is completely, magically, unharmed. And red is probably the worst staining color. (I really need to take a picture of that monster as soon as I get this pigtailing done.)

For a green that dark, all I can say is get the darkest green Sharpies you can find and try mixing some black in there if they're not dark enough. I've not had to do a green that dark yet so I can't tell you if it'll work, but it's all I can think of.

FE Freak
05-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Well my wig is about that color after the dying but I started out with a dark brown wig first.Hmm..I would suggest sharpie'ing a strand or two with a regular green marker, because as light as the cap is, its right at or a little darker than the color you posted.Talk about false advertisement,ne?

Envel
05-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Well my wig is about that color after the dying but I started out with a dark brown wig first.Hmm..I would suggest sharpie'ing a strand or two with a regular green marker, because as light as the cap is, its right at or a little darker than the color you posted.Talk about false advertisement,ne?

Oh, you just reminded me. Someone said you can also make a wig look darker by putting in some black streaks on the underlayers and in the roots. She used it on a brown wig I think to make it look a darker brown, but not black.

benihime
05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
sigh i did a test swatch and the FW ink has the color i want but its not sticking right. baaaaaah.

london2191
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
John2p0: If you don't want to go through the hassel of ordering wig conditioner and waiting for it to come in, I have another easy method. After you dye the wig and rinse it in cold water, dry it and it still smells, try rubbing in some handsoap *like the dial soap that comes in a clear bottle or something* and all that jazz. Rinse with cold water. I did that with my wig and it didn't affect the color at all and it smells nice. =D

Twilight_Clover: You mentioned in earlier posts that it's not recommended to dye a wig black. =O Why is this? If you want a black wig dyed with sharpie shouldn't you use black? xD

Hahah, that was me. If you lift the upper layers on your wig and black sharpie some streaks near the core of the wefts and a little bit on where the scalp would be, it does make it darker-looking. -nods-

Envel
05-03-2007, 07:07 PM
sigh i did a test swatch and the FW ink has the color i want but its not sticking right. baaaaaah.

I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with the FW ink sticking... I've never had that problem with Sharpies.

@london: Well, for one thing, I can't think of any base wig that doesn't already come in black, so dying a wig black is kind of a waste of time. Another thing is, as someone else pointed out, some of the darker colored sharpies leave this weird stickiness on the wigs, maybe whatever makes the colors dark.

benihime
05-03-2007, 10:30 PM
John2p0: If you don't want to go through the hassel of ordering wig conditioner and waiting for it to come in, I have another easy method. After you dye the wig and rinse it in cold water, dry it and it still smells, try rubbing in some handsoap *like the dial soap that comes in a clear bottle or something* and all that jazz. Rinse with cold water. I did that with my wig and it didn't affect the color at all and it smells nice. =D

Twilight_Clover: You mentioned in earlier posts that it's not recommended to dye a wig black. =O Why is this? If you want a black wig dyed with sharpie shouldn't you use black? xD

Hahah, that was me. If you lift the upper layers on your wig and black sharpie some streaks near the core of the wefts and a little bit on where the scalp would be, it does make it darker-looking. -nods-

i just tried dying a wig black and the ink (and then later sharpies) stuck on the bottom of the wig and not the top. so my wig is dark grey now

APandRB
05-03-2007, 11:10 PM
RB: Black sharpies don't stay black in the solution they usually dye the wig grey or blue depending on the color of the wig. I dyed my Cosmo wig with the Black Sharpie solution and it turned a strange blue, but it didn't turn out streaky or sticky. If you want the wig black your probably better off just doing it strand by strand. Also if you want it either of the dyes to stick don't saturate the wig it will just drip off the top, it took me about four times with my friends Matsumoto wig to figure that out. Try doing it outside the alcohol drys rather fast.

Envel
05-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Always always always dye wigs outside if using Sharpie dye. I dyed Etna in my dad's office with TWO windows and TWO ceiling fans, and the smell was still overwhelming. Not to mention what bits I dripped weren't very fun to clean up.

Yeah, the sticky residue from dark Sharpies doesn't always happen. My only guess is it might depend on the age of the Sharpie. But I still fail to see when you would ever absolutely have to dye a wig black. : /

APandRB
05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
RB: I think the reason she attempted to dye it black was to reuse a wig she had for another costume. All wig styles had the standard black wig, but not everyone can afford a bunch of wigs

london2191
05-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Hmmm, well, surpisingly enough, the wig I wanted from my ebay seller /didn't/ come in black so I purchased grey *because white wasn't a Buy It Now. >>*. It's 100% kanekalon so maybe another method would work better? =O Do you think FW Ink method would work?

I dyed my wig in my basement with only a fan and the smell wasn't too bad...but then again, I did it in sections instead of everything all at once.

Benihime: Well, what kind of dye did you use? And what fiber was it?

Envel
05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Hmmm, well, surpisingly enough, the wig I wanted from my ebay seller /didn't/ come in black so I purchased grey *because white wasn't a Buy It Now. >>*. It's 100% kanekalon so maybe another method would work better? =O Do you think FW Ink method would work?

I dyed my wig in my basement with only a fan and the smell wasn't too bad...but then again, I did it in sections instead of everything all at once.

Heh heh. I'm too impatient to do it in sections, I'd rather get it over with. Good thing we have a back porch that comes in many colors.

I'd say you should probably go with FW ink... Although you CAN dye it black with Sharpies, I'm worried that after rinsing and some fading it might look purple or blue...

benihime
05-04-2007, 06:07 PM

i used both the sharpie and fw ink. .. the fibers? you know i never chekced once i get it. i got it from a beauty shop here in town. but i have a human hair wig that i might try.

question about doing it strand by strand.... do you still take it out of the "wrapper" ive had problems with that after i slit it, it doesn't stay together i have to get it out in clumps. and so if i do it strand by strand i dont need alcohol?

Envel
05-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Usually, if you're doing a wig strand by strand with a Sharpie, you just take the Sharpie and color the wig... Strand by strand. You don't have to pop it open or anything, just color it.

london2191
05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I think I'll attempt FW. =D

Make sure to get underneath tho'. And instead of strand, try clumps and stuff. -nods-

benihime
05-04-2007, 10:23 PM
ah okay cool ill try it strand by strand and see how it goes. its gotta dry first though. sigh.

Envel
05-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah, and it helps if you pull up some of the wig into a clip and start in the bottom/back of the wig and work your way up. : )

Good luck! I know how frustrating it can get when something doesn't work out the first time.

london2191
05-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Yep, that's what I did. I had billions of clips and I did sections at a time.

Does someone have specific specific specific instructions on dying a short wig? *fw ink method* Like, specific list of materials and such. I want to do this right this time instead of just guessing.

Envel
05-05-2007, 12:58 PM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=57484

The official FW Ink thread : )

Haru-kun
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
This is the progress of my L wig, done by hand with an Avery permanent marker:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/scuttlebuggy/Misc/wig003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/scuttlebuggy/Misc/wig002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/scuttlebuggy/Misc/wig001.jpg

You can see its original color XD The marker I used has a chisel point tip making it easier to color large sections rather than strand by strand. I'm not sure how strong the smell is using normal Sharpies by hand, but it actually doesn't smell that much at all.

Envel
05-07-2007, 11:25 PM
A permanent marker that doesn't smell so bad? Hm... Looks good so far, though. ^_~

Have you rinsed it yet to see if it runs at all?

Haru-kun
05-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks! :3 I haven't rinsed it yet, but I will probably do so tomorrow when I finish coloring the rest ^^ I did rub my fingers on the dried strands and nothing seemed to come off :o

benihime
05-08-2007, 04:34 AM
... is there anyway to get out most of the dye.. using either way? i kinda want to "start over" a tad bit... because the FW ink made everything cunky on the hair and i want to try some sharpie...

london2191
05-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmmm, is the avery permanent marker the same thing like sharpie, but avery? Because the black is turning out well which is what I need to dye one o' my wigs.

chisainekocat
05-08-2007, 08:08 PM
... is there anyway to get out most of the dye.. using either way? i kinda want to "start over" a tad bit... because the FW ink made everything cunky on the hair and i want to try some sharpie...

Yes. Wash it with rubbing alcohol and it should help get a lot of dye out.

Haru-kun
05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Hmmm, is the avery permanent marker the same thing like sharpie, but avery? Because the black is turning out well which is what I need to dye one o' my wigs.

I think so :o The avery one says that its quick drying, rub resistant, water resistant, and withstands fading. Not sure how it would work using the alcohol and stuff with it though :O

Haru-kun
05-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Here it is finished with the markers! Don't mind the freaky head xD It got orange from some previous wig spraying and stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/scuttlebuggy/Misc/Lwig003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/scuttlebuggy/Misc/Lwig005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/scuttlebuggy/Misc/Lwig006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/scuttlebuggy/Misc/Lwig002.jpg

x_x Doing it by hand sure can get aggravating! LOL Now all that's left is styling...JOY 8D;

chisainekocat
05-09-2007, 12:11 AM
I admire you for your patience =DD!! That wig looks very well on its way to become a fantastic L wig.

Hmm, theoretically an Avery permanent marker should work the same as a Sharpie in the Sharpie dye method. They're both permanent markers, just different brand names, unless they have drastically different formulas.

Haru-kun
05-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks!

Yeah I have no clue if they do or not...the Avery ones don't seem to smell as bad as the Sharpie brand but maybe its just me xD

london2191
05-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Hmm, well, I may just PM you, Chisainekocat-sama, about this considering you seem to help me with all my sharpie-ing problems. =D

I was told not to use black sharpie to dye because it might turn a dark blue or a dark red. It doesn't seem like that in the pics with the avery marker....but if you're saying that the avery marker and sharpie are alike I might as well just use sharpie...right? =OO *in need of help*

chisainekocat
05-09-2007, 07:19 PM
When you dye a wig by hand-coloring with a marker, you're going to get the most concentrated ink you can possibly get from it, which is probably why Haru-kun's wig turned out a perfect black. I've heard it will work with a Sharpie, too, because there's enough ink when you hand-color to make it look black, not the dark purple it really is. However, I've never diluted an Avery marker. You can try mixing one with alcohol like in the Sharpie method, and spray the ink onto a piece of paper to see it's true color. If it's black, it should work! It's been a long time since I've used an Avery marker, so I really don't know what the outcome would be.

If it doesn't work, you can dye a wig black by:
1) hand-coloring it
2) use FW ink, since the black ink is a true black, unlike Sharpie

If a wig is dark enough already, diluted black Sharpie ink *might* still work. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

Envel
05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
When you dye a wig by hand-coloring with a marker, you're going to get the most concentrated ink you can possibly get from it, which is probably why Haru-kun's wig turned out a perfect black. I've heard it will work with a Sharpie, too, because there's enough ink when you hand-color to make it look black, not the dark purple it really is. However, I've never diluted an Avery marker. You can try mixing one with alcohol like in the Sharpie method, and spray the ink onto a piece of paper to see it's true color. If it's black, it should work! It's been a long time since I've used an Avery marker, so I really don't know what the outcome would be.

If it doesn't work, you can dye a wig black by:
1) hand-coloring it
2) use FW ink, since the black ink is a true black, unlike Sharpie

If a wig is dark enough already, diluted black Sharpie ink *might* still work. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

I'm really interested in testing these Avery markers. But I think if I ever had to dye something black, the FW ink would be the best bet. It's the most overpowering of all the inks.

Just a random note: I mixed a red and a black Sharpie and it came out pink. Not red... But pink. o_O

london2191
05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I heard that FW does that two, but you guys seem to know best so I'm taking your advice. =D I think I'll buy either avery or sharpie. If it doesn't work with spray *which is what I'd've liked to try* I'll have to hand-do it. It is short, but it's flippy which is a pain. It's a grey color so maybe the diluted sharpie dye will work. -shrugs- Test test test....

Luckily I have some blonde extensions from a left-over wig that I can test 'im on. WHOOT.

chisainekocat
05-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm really interested in testing these Avery markers. But I think if I ever had to dye something black, the FW ink would be the best bet. It's the most overpowering of all the inks.

Just a random note: I mixed a red and a black Sharpie and it came out pink. Not red... But pink. o_O

WHOA. O_o;; I can see how the red would turn pink if it was diluted enough, but with the black Sharpie??

The reminds me when my roommate made purple FW ink dye and let it sit for awhile, we watched the stuff turn GREEN. We called it the Hulk XD. It still sprayed purple though.

Farfarello
05-11-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm curious, could I dye a blonde wing (It's called Vanilla Lush) to a silver with sharpies? It's a small/short wig so I was thinking of doing it by hand.

Envel
05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
WHOA. O_o;; I can see how the red would turn pink if it was diluted enough, but with the black Sharpie??

The reminds me when my roommate made purple FW ink dye and let it sit for awhile, we watched the stuff turn GREEN. We called it the Hulk XD. It still sprayed purple though.

Yes, I was very appalled. My recipe included four red sharpies, two burgundy ones, and a black, and it still came out a very nice shade of pink.

As for your purple/green FW ink... Are you sure it's not a distant relative of that color changing Kool-Aid? XD That's neat.

@Farfarello: As long as it's a lighter blonde color, and not one of those deeper blondes, I see no reason as to why you couldn't Sharpie it a very nice silver. : )

Farfarello
05-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Hmmm, well this will be a first for me. I once attempted to turn a red wig white about 4 years ago, I'll never forget that experience ¬.¬ Anyways, this is the wig here http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wowwigs_1949_68353643. I wish it came in a lighter color but thats as light as the place carried.

This is what I'm shooting for http://noctuidae.org/gallery/details.php?image_id=256&sessionid=80bdb57c0d94ee344b551dcd1540ab8e. I always like a second pair pf eyes and especially experienced ones ^_^

Envel
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
..You can't lighten a wig at all, ever, as far as I know. Making a red wig white is impossible unless there's some groundbreaking technique that I don't know about.

That wig should turn a nice grey for Farfarello. ^_^ I don't see any reason as to why not. You can always test it on a few strands first, if you don't like it, alcohol takes it right out.

Farfarello
05-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Haha, yeah I learned that the hard way. It was my first experience, it left my hands and half the deck white and the wig came out... ugly. It was whitish but the red bled through and caked and gobbed, it was not a pretty sight and I tossed the dang thing in the trash.

Thank you! I was debating if it was too dark towards the roots but I think its just my computer. Grey works great for me.

Envel
05-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Well, most people's hair is darker at the roots, since the sun will lighten it more as it grows out, so in my opinion, it'll just make it more realistic.

And I dyed a medium blonde wig a light turqoise, so grey covering a lighter blonde should look really nice. Make sure you post pictures! I love good Weiss cosplay.

benihime
05-12-2007, 05:55 AM
my wig is still very...er stiffish from the torments of using too much hairspray and gel previously and now all the dying. ive washed it like 3 times and put conditioner and stuff. what else can i do?

Envel
05-12-2007, 10:51 PM
my wig is still very...er stiffish from the torments of using too much hairspray and gel previously and now all the dying. ive washed it like 3 times and put conditioner and stuff. what else can i do?

Have you tried soaking it in lukewarm conditioned water?

I've never had that problem, but I did have a HECK of a time washing out a hairsprayed to death wig. I washed it around three times and then gave up, but soaking it in some conditioner and swooshing it around a little might help. Make sure you're scrubbing it nice and good while washing it, too. : )

Aisha-chan
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
how long can sharpie dye last in a closed bottle until it starts to go bad?

benihime
05-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Have you tried soaking it in lukewarm conditioned water?

I've never had that problem, but I did have a HECK of a time washing out a hairsprayed to death wig. I washed it around three times and then gave up, but soaking it in some conditioner and swooshing it around a little might help. Make sure you're scrubbing it nice and good while washing it, too. : )

last time i let it sit for about 2 hours *sigh* maybe ill do it one more time with some other type of conditioner

chisainekocat
05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
how long can sharpie dye last in a closed bottle until it starts to go bad?

Well, since it's mostly alcohol, I just looked at the bottle I just bought, and it says it expires in about two years. I guess that's the shelf life of Sharpie dye, too? You can always shake it up if the dye starts looking discolored on the bottom. You have to keep it as airtight as possible, though, or else the alcohol will slowly evaporate into the air.

Arienette
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, since it's mostly alcohol, I just looked at the bottle I just bought, and it says it expires in about two years. I guess that's the shelf life of Sharpie dye, too? You can always shake it up if the dye starts looking discolored on the bottom. You have to keep it as airtight as possible, though, or else the alcohol will slowly evaporate into the air.

I don't have any experience with this, so I'm just guessing, but the strength of the dye might fade the longer you store it, if the alcohol starts breaking down the color. Just a thought.

chisainekocat
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
That's definitely a possibility, too. I think most people that make wig dye just use it up so fast no one knows the answer...myself included. :toothy: I remember asking the same question several months ago and no one knew at that time, either.

Envel
05-14-2007, 11:50 AM
That's definitely a possibility, too. I think most people that make wig dye just use it up so fast no one knows the answer...myself included. :toothy: I remember asking the same question several months ago and no one knew at that time, either.

Yeah. I let my dye soak for about a week, with random shaking every day before I even use it. It brings out the most in the Sharpie ink things I've found. XD I dunno if it'd last much longer than that, though. We might find out, since I have some leftover dye I can experiment with in a month or two to see.

@Benihime: Yeah, you might want to try a different kind of conditioner. I use some special wig conditioner I bought from a local wig store. I don't know what you're using, but this stuff has always gotten the Sharpie smell out of my wigs. You might also try storing it in a well-aired and Febreze'd room for a while, if all else fails. : )

Ayne
05-27-2007, 05:39 AM
I've been reading this thread (not all of it, I must admit... but a lot) in my long hours of boredom at work... and I still have some questions.

From what I've read, I assume sharpies are a brand of markers. I live in Spain and I had never heard of 'sharpies' before, but will any other permanent (or even professional) markers work? I've studied Illustration and I was thinking of using illustrator's professional markers (like Pantone etc...) instead. They are expensive but since I won't need a lot of them... (and, believe it or not, I like the smell of pantone ink :P)
Same happens with the FW ink dye method, I don't know if I'll be able to find that kind of ink but I've used illustrator's liquid ink (for airbrush) before and perhaps it might work too.

I recently bought a wig on ebay for my next costume, and the seller promised it was silver white, BUT it happened to be pure white (or even a slightly yellowish white, if you ask me). The wig is not even great, but just acceptable, and I decided returning it would be too much trouble and I've already started working on it. So I'd like to dye it silvery, and I've been reading (almost) all about wig dye methods on these forums.

Coloring the wig strand by strand with markers sounds like the best method for me (my wig is rather short), because I don't know if I feel brave enough to try the alcohol mix and spray and everything. But now I'm thinking that, unless I find a very light grey marker (if I use illustrator markers I might find one, they come in a lot of colors) I'm afraid the wig may end up looking 'too grey', while I only want to give it a silvery color (the costume is white and the wig should be slightly darker than the fabric). So... maybe for that, the alcohol mix & spray method is best, because the color doesn't come out that intense. What do you think?
I even thought of buying Katie Bair's wig dye to save me the trouble of finding the right markers and making the product, even if it's more expensive, but I'm also afraid her cloudy grey might be too dark for the silvery grey I'm looking for. I don't know how it looks on a real wig (and since shipping is also expensive, for that price I'd rather buy a new wig in the right color ~_~U)
Any advice?

Annie-Mei
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
her cloudy grey is actually a bit dark. do you have a image in mind that you want to achieve?

Ayne
05-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Oops, I forgot... the character is Yzak from Gundam :o
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/alkanet/Images/yzak2.jpg

So I'd like a very light grey, I want to make my wig just a little silvery. Most Yzak cosplayers I've seen just had their wig white, but I'd want some difference between the uniform white and the wig - cosplay example: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/alkanet/Cosplay/cpyzak.jpg

Does it make sense? ^^U

agent_airline
05-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm working on an Yzak wig too! :) I agree that his hair should not be white, even though I'm doing the red uniform. I just don't want my pale face washed out.

But I'm going the route of using sharpies and rubbing alcohol. In the show, his hair looks slightly lavender grey and not that silver (I'm going from screencaps, not promo images) so I picked up some periwinkle sharpies and will be diluting them. Spraying the wig down is sooo much faster and easier than coloring the strands and is not nearly as scary as it sounds! (I'll be posting it here as soon as I'm done)

However, even if you get silver markers, the flake that makes them silver won't spray onto a wig. It'll just look dark grey. So I think just mixing a pale grey and adding a shine spray to the wig would look nice.

In theory, any sort of alcohol based smelly permanent markers should work. Just stay away from paint pens, washable, or dry erase.

Ayne
05-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the advice! No, I didn't even think of using those metallic silver markers, just a very pale grey to make the wig look a bit silvery-grey instead of white ^^ Anyway I guess I should start looking for the right marker color... if I don't find a pale enough grey, I guess I can make it lighter by adding more alcohol and less ink, right?
(On a side note, I also wish I could find wig conditioner or products to make my wig shiny and nice... I've only found them online but most of them don't ship to my country or are extremely expensive >_<)

Dcgoddess3
05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
I have never dyed a wig before so this is probabally a stupid question. I finished coloring my wig but when I wash it with the cold water will the sharpie left over on the wig stain the sink i'm washing it in? And also when I just let it dry do I put it back on the wig stand and let it dry and for how long? Because I still need to style it and I can't wait to style it!
Also if spots on the wig are darker than others should it even out when I wash it?

AyrielDarkmoon
06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
A friend of mine wants to dye a wig for his Sync cosplay (Tales of the Abyss), and he says he needs to use hair spray... Maybe it is a stupid question, but, could the spray ruin the color? (i mean, the color you get with the sharpie)

Sorry for my English >.<

chikhra
06-03-2007, 10:12 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to acheive a certain look with a straight, shoulder-length wig. I wanted something close to the top 4/5 being black, and the bottom fifth being a sort of plush, cloudy light blue. Should I start with a white wig, or a wig that's already light blue? And after that, to complete the black, does duct-taping over the blue to protect it from the black dye work, or will it take out any blue coloring or just bleed through? Thanks.

Envel
06-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I have never dyed a wig before so this is probabally a stupid question. I finished coloring my wig but when I wash it with the cold water will the sharpie left over on the wig stain the sink i'm washing it in? And also when I just let it dry do I put it back on the wig stand and let it dry and for how long? Because I still need to style it and I can't wait to style it!
Also if spots on the wig are darker than others should it even out when I wash it?

Yes, you CAN wait to style it. Patience is a virtue, just let your wig sit on the head until it's completely dry. It's not advisable to ever work with a wet wig. If some spots are darker than others, then it means your dye job is uneven. You can only fix it by redying the wig or darkening the rest of it. In most cases, uneven dyeing just looks like natural hair, which is rarely ever 100% the same color, in my opinion.

A friend of mine wants to dye a wig for his Sync cosplay (Tales of the Abyss), and he says he needs to use hair spray... Maybe it is a stupid question, but, could the spray ruin the color? (i mean, the color you get with the sharpie)

Sorry for my English >.<

I've used an entire can of hair spray on my dyed Etna wig. No bleeding on my hands, and the color on the wig looks as good as it did before I started using styling agents.

I was wondering if it would be possible to acheive a certain look with a straight, shoulder-length wig. I wanted something close to the top 4/5 being black, and the bottom fifth being a sort of plush, cloudy light blue. Should I start with a white wig, or a wig that's already light blue? And after that, to complete the black, does duct-taping over the blue to protect it from the black dye work, or will it take out any blue coloring or just bleed through? Thanks.

O_O

Don't duct tape a wig. You'll probably never get it back out. And if you do get it back out, wig fibers will go with it. Not to mention the sticky residue. In a case like yours, I'd start with a wig that's light blue and Sharpie dye the rest strand by strand. You can't spray on black Sharpie, it won't come out black. Or you can use the FW Ink method and spray it on. You have to be VERY careful, is the only way to keep the blue from becoming black. But if you use Sharpies, good ole' rubbing alcohol can strip off any boo-boos you might make.

london2191
06-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Revive, revive! I still wonder why this and the FW Ink Method thread haven't been made sticky.

ANYHOW. So I've started black sharpie dying a flippy, short grey wig and it's been very successful so far. =D No dark purple, red, blue or whatever. However, I'm getting bored and impatient and I kinda wanna start sharpie spray dying it. I'm afraid tho' that it'll turn a different shade of black *if possible* and it'll turn those weird colors because it's not as concentrated as it is from the pen. How would I make it concentrated enough to stay black and such?

chisainekocat
06-10-2007, 12:15 AM
You can just dunk a lot of sharpies in there, as sharpie dye is forgiving as far as how many sharpies you stick in there. I've stuck in five sharpies for just a cup and it still worked fine. Hopefully with a grey wig you will have more luck with getting the black color you need. Tell us if it works out!

london2191
06-10-2007, 12:39 AM
What about the rubbing alcohol?

Akusesu
06-15-2007, 12:40 AM
does the amount of sharpies used effect how the color sticks too the wig?, or is it just lighter tones?...and if i was to just dunk it in the dye, how long do i leave it in there? ^^ thanks for the great tips!~

Envel
06-16-2007, 12:59 AM
does the amount of sharpies used effect how the color sticks too the wig?, or is it just lighter tones?...and if i was to just dunk it in the dye, how long do i leave it in there? ^^ thanks for the great tips!~

I'm not really sure what you mean.

The amount of Sharpies will change the deepness of the color of your dye. But the amount of Sharpie ink will not effect how well it sticks to the wig, only the darkness of the color.

We're actually going to take an Izzy (I believe) purple wig and spray a light mist of grey over it to make it less OMG PURPLE. I'll let you know how that works. XD

Akusesu
06-18-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm not really sure what you mean.

The amount of Sharpies will change the deepness of the color of your dye. But the amount of Sharpie ink will not effect how well it sticks to the wig, only the darkness of the color.

We're actually going to take an Izzy (I believe) purple wig and spray a light mist of grey over it to make it less OMG PURPLE. I'll let you know how that works. XD

hmm i put about 3 sharpies in 1/3 of a bottle of alcohol, and was hoping to make my OMG blue wig slightly blue green XD
think i should add more sharpies?
and let me know how your OMG purple wig dying goes ^^

Envel
06-18-2007, 08:10 AM
hmm i put about 3 sharpies in 1/3 of a bottle of alcohol, and was hoping to make my OMG blue wig slightly blue green XD
think i should add more sharpies?
and let me know how your OMG purple wig dying goes ^^

Hehe. I like how the wig's new name is "OMGPURPLE!" XD That's awesome. I'll let you know, we might get started on that today, depending on the weather.

1/3 of a bottle of alcohol? Well, how big was the bottle to start with?

I put 6-7 Sharpies in 16oz of alcohol when I want to completely change the color of a wig (That's 3-4 Sharpies per 8 oz), but if I'm only wanting to tint a wig with a lighter color, then I'd probably only use 1-2 Sharpies per 8 oz of alcohol. I'm sure using 3 Sharpies in 8 oz of alcohol wouldn't hurt to use as a tint as long as you're not using a ZOMGDARK colored Sharpie.

Hope that helps. ^_^

Ginger Catgirl
06-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Hm, yeah. I'm dyeing a Punky XL from a whiteish color (not pure white, sort of a very light ashy color) to a light, sort of muted blue. (Ref pic: http://tales.namco.com/symphonia/images/con_regal.jpg)

I'm on the Sharpie website now (lolz) and they have two colors that look promising, the sky blue and the blue ice... which would you recommend, and how many sharpies / how much alcohol would I need to dye a wig of that length?

(Yes, am aware that Punky wigs are hard to dye. :P. I'll make it work.)

Moon_Fish
06-21-2007, 10:22 PM
So do you have to use a mix of alcohol and ink or can you just color on the wig fibers directly? Would that work at all? Could I use prisma markers instead?

Ginger Catgirl
06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I know you can definitely just color on the wig fibers. I don't know about prisma though.

november.eyes
06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone, I have a question. I'm cosplaying as the Yokan version of Toshiya from dir en grey and I wanted to know if I could dye the top of a black wig I have with some sort of blue sharpie. I'm not sure if a blue sharpie will show up on a black wig, or do I need to use a light blue sharpie or a dark blue one? It doesn't have to stand out nessesary but I want to see at least a little blue at the top. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. ^^

check local pharmacy stores under the hair dye sections. They ALWAYS have hair dye in "weird colours". Bright blue is available there, and you can get it so that it'll show up on black hair. check the back before buying to see the results on different shaded hair. Good luck ^^

starcat
06-23-2007, 07:18 PM
check local pharmacy stores under the hair dye sections. They ALWAYS have hair dye in "weird colours". Bright blue is available there, and you can get it so that it'll show up on black hair. check the back before buying to see the results on different shaded hair. Good luck ^^

Hair dye won't work on wigs.

Envel
06-24-2007, 10:59 AM

As has already been said:

Hair dye does not work on wigs.

I think a sticky needs to be made about that point... Hm.....

So do you have to use a mix of alcohol and ink or can you just color on the wig fibers directly? Would that work at all? Could I use prisma markers instead?

Using a Prismacolor would be a good experiment, but they're too expensive to use, in my opinion. I mean, Sharpies are a dollar... And Prismas are like... $4-5 aren't they? But yes, you can definitely color the wig strand by strand.

Moon_Fish
06-24-2007, 04:26 PM
As has already been said:

Hair dye does not work on wigs.

I think a sticky needs to be made about that point... Hm.....

Using a Prismacolor would be a good experiment, but they're too expensive to use, in my opinion. I mean, Sharpies are a dollar... And Prismas are like... $4-5 aren't they? But yes, you can definitely color the wig strand by strand.

So once i color the wig w/ sharpies or prismas, do i leave it in or do i have to rinse it at all? Sorry, I've never dyed a wig before ><

Envel
06-25-2007, 11:00 PM
So once i color the wig w/ sharpies or prismas, do i leave it in or do i have to rinse it at all? Sorry, I've never dyed a wig before ><

Once you have all of your dye on the wig, run cold water over it until the water runs clear. ^_^

Moon_Fish
06-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks Alot! ^^

DivineSage
06-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Hm, yeah. I'm dyeing a Punky XL from a whiteish color (not pure white, sort of a very light ashy color) to a light, sort of muted blue. (Ref pic: http://tales.namco.com/symphonia/images/con_regal.jpg)

I'm on the Sharpie website now (lolz) and they have two colors that look promising, the sky blue and the blue ice... which would you recommend, and how many sharpies / how much alcohol would I need to dye a wig of that length?

(Yes, am aware that Punky wigs are hard to dye. :P. I'll make it work.)

I haven't used blue ice before, but sky blue is actually much darker than it looks like it would be on the cap. It's the right shade of blue for what you want, but you'll have to dilute it more than usual to avoid the darkness of it (lol, did that make sense?).

Ginger Catgirl
06-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Hm, I see what you mean. *eyes the wig dye which is currently sitting* O_o it definitely needs to be diluted. And I'm really glad I got both shades of light blue (i have no idea what their names are), because one turned out more of a periwinkle-purpley color. The other one is perfect though.

...Huh. I got 91% instead of 70. o well.

ichimarugin
08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
ok i am doing ichigo and i have a light orange wig that i thought would be darker so heres what im asking. if i were to take a bunch of pumpkin color sharpies and hand color it would it take well? since it is just a darker shade of the previous color.

Envel
08-11-2007, 10:47 AM
ok i am doing ichigo and i have a light orange wig that i thought would be darker so heres what im asking. if i were to take a bunch of pumpkin color sharpies and hand color it would it take well? since it is just a darker shade of the previous color.

If the wig is light orange, it should work just fine.

But if the wig is a medium to dark color, I've found that it will take dye barely, if at all.

ichimarugin
08-11-2007, 11:34 AM
ok this is the wig that i am talking about

http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_flaunt_rock_candy.html

the thing is i wanted to use the pumpkin colored sharpie. do you think it would take it or would i be better off getting a white wig and starting from there?

Goldfinch
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who provided tips and tutorials to this thread. Thanks to all of you, I'm trying my own hand at sharpie dying.

My question is: is it ok to use baby shampoo when washing the extra ink out of the wig? Because I'm doing a partial dye job I really can't submerge the entire wig while washing it, but running the dyed part under the faucet really is rather tedious, and the water really doesn't want to run clear. Any suggestions?

chisainekocat
08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
ok this is the wig that i am talking about

http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_flaunt_rock_candy.html

the thing is i wanted to use the pumpkin colored sharpie. do you think it would take it or would i be better off getting a white wig and starting from there?

As long the original color is at least lighter than what you want, you will be fine. It's easier to dye something lighter than the intended color as opposed to just plain white since it will take less sharpie ink to dye. You can always dilute the ink more should the ink from just one Sharpie be too much.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who provided tips and tutorials to this thread. Thanks to all of you, I'm trying my own hand at sharpie dying.

My question is: is it ok to use baby shampoo when washing the extra ink out of the wig? Because I'm doing a partial dye job I really can't submerge the entire wig while washing it, but running the dyed part under the faucet really is rather tedious, and the water really doesn't want to run clear. Any suggestions?

That might be more trouble than it's worth. I've tried to wash just part of a wig once, but the bit of shampoo just foamed everywhere and I ended up having to rinse the whole wig anyway. You may have better luck, but you really just have to be patient with rinsing out the extra dye. If it helps to motivate you, the extra dye has to go somewhere: either down the sink, or on your costume. That's what I tell myself when I'm just sitting there with this bleeding wig, anyway, ahaha.

sweet_magic
09-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Quick question.

Is it okay to use 50% Isopropyl alcochol? When I went to the store, I couldn't find anything higher than 50% alcohol. I have a light pink wig and I'm trying to get it a darker shade of pink.

Also, it is true that mixing the sharpie dye with alcohol will eventually cause the dye to fade off? So would it be better to just hand color the wig anyway?

chisainekocat
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
It should still work. It might just take longer to dry and possibly an extra round of dye because there's more water in there than 70% or 91% alcohol.

You mean fade off the wig over time? Not really, unless it didn't stick well enough in the first place. The alcohol just evaporates off when you put it onto the wig.

sweet_magic
09-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks.

So more dye for a darker color then, right? I'm guessing 4-5 sharpies should be enough for a short wig...

fin fish
09-14-2007, 02:01 PM
All right, this is probably a stupid question, and I'm sorry. I've dyed a lot of wigs over the past few years, so I generally understand the rules, but if I were to add blue Sharpie to a black wig, would that give it a faint bluish sheen when it was in direct sunlight (not make it lighter obviously, but just like... add saturation sort of) or would it do absolutely nothing? I'd kind of expect nothing, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

SA-KU-RA-CHAN!
09-16-2007, 02:45 PM
First of all, i want to thank this thread for existing. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out the necessary evils and wonders of sharpie dying, and I do beleive this thread has answered most of my questions already. However, there are a few things I am still wondering. I have skimmed through all the pages, and did not see these particular subjects addressed. However, if these are repeat questions, I apologize in advance for missing them:

(1) How is the texture of the wig affected by the sharpie method (especially if we're talking direct coloring with a sharpie pen vs. the alchohol spray)?

(2) If I were to, say, desire a bluish-indigo highlight tone for an already off-black wig, would this be possible? I'm not talking obvious color, but perhaps something that would show up under the right lighting conditions.

Veenasgrace
09-24-2007, 09:45 PM
hummmm better yet couldn't u just go out buy some normal hair dye and use that to dye the wig? more money of course but alot less time and it seems like it would look better

Crystalike
09-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Sa-Ku-ra-chan!: The direct sharpieing? It leaves the wig soft and smooth as before. ^^ My Kasumi from DOA wig was completely hand colored with orange sharpies. It is a g-p wig from Amphigory.

As for the undertones: yes! that does work!!! ^^ I gave my Lenne wig some light gold tones with markers. It only shows up in the sun, but it does look nice. A dark blue sharpie would work, but test it on some fibers before you actually start coloring all over to make sure the sharpie won't leave red marks like my black sharpie did to a low quality blue/black wig. If your wig is high quality like Kanekalon or Toyokalon, or Eleora, it should be fine.

Veenasgrace: Wigs are NOT hair!!!! Real hair dye will do nothing to the wig fibers as real hair is porous and absorbs the dye, wig fibers are made of plastic and are non-porous! ^^; Big difference between real hair and wig fibers...Katie Bair's site tells all...

Aer Arcanum
09-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow, this thread has been extremely useful and informative. I've learned a lot about sharpie dying and now I think I'll be willing to give it a try with a costume I plan on making soon. But I still have a question. This wig needs to be two colors, with a red top and bangs, and a dark burgandy type color for underneath and the back (the character is Negi from Negima). So I was wondering, if I started with a red wig (I'm thinking maybe the Henna Red or Fire Red colors on cosworx), could I sharpie dye the rest of it with a burgandy or brown sharpie? Would the base color of the wig mess that up any? Or is there some other flaw to this plan as well?

funkylamb
09-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi there!

I'm so new to all this but I had a quick question...If you sharpie dye your wig using either direct colouring or the diluted spray method, will the colour stand up to steaming? Kk wigs, as you know, are easily styled using steam/heat and I want to dye a wig that I will style in this way. Am I going to end up with all the colour coming straight out?

thanks in advance,
Amelia

Crystalike
09-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Green Flame: Lol, you might want to check the Spam forum because three people are selling short red wigs that you could use. ^^ And hand coloring with Sharpies only on the roots would work fine. I think, however that burgundy Sharpies would show up better than Brown Sharpies.

funkylamb: The Sharpie coloring should stand up to the steam, as steam is only hot water. ^^ But if there's somehow alcohol involved in the steaming process....(which I HIGHLY doubt), the coloring will wash off.

Aer Arcanum
09-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Green Flame: Lol, you might want to check the Spam forum because three people are selling short red wigs that you could use. ^^ And hand coloring with Sharpies only on the roots would work fine. I think, however that burgundy Sharpies would show up better than Brown Sharpies.

Alright, cool, thanks! And thanks for the tip on the Spam forum. I've yet to ever venture into that section of the forums, but I'll check it out. I'm excited to attempt styling a wig like this now!

Aer Arcanum
09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Alright, sorry to double post, but I started to wonder if Sharpies were the only kind of markers you can use for dying wigs. I got to visit one of the closest craft stores today (almost an hour away, heh), and they didn't have any burgendy sharpies... But I probably have a color I can use in my Prismacolor marker collection. I know those are more expensive, but I also know where to find them more easily. But all I've heard about are people using Sharpies, so I figured there must be a reason behind it. I can always try a different shop, you know, if I need to use Sharpies. It's not that big of a deal. I just thought of the question and wanted to know (I'm also a bit impatient to get started, haha).

Crystalike
09-29-2007, 01:20 AM
The difference is that Prismacolor markers come in weak, light shades. and don't color well. Sharpies, however are bright and strong. There is also the FW ink method if you like, but you might want to think about that because that'll get messy. If you want to color with markers that have colors that show up well, look for Shinhan brand coloring markers (Korean brand), or Copic markers.

Razia
09-29-2007, 09:59 AM
This might be a dumb question, but will food coloring work on a wig?

Here's my problem: I AM using Sharpies, but I'm trying to mix a decent brown and I'm not having much luck because it's come out WAY too purple/reddish. I have no yellow sharpies around to fix it, and I really don't want to go to the art store just for a yellow sharpie or two, so I'm wondering if a few drops of yellow food coloring will do the trick since I happen to have that around.

Any idea?

Crystalike
09-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Razia: O_O I have NO idea how that would work, but you should test it out first on a few strands of wig fiber.

Envel
09-30-2007, 01:48 AM
This might be a dumb question, but will food coloring work on a wig?

Here's my problem: I AM using Sharpies, but I'm trying to mix a decent brown and I'm not having much luck because it's come out WAY too purple/reddish. I have no yellow sharpies around to fix it, and I really don't want to go to the art store just for a yellow sharpie or two, so I'm wondering if a few drops of yellow food coloring will do the trick since I happen to have that around.

Any idea?

I've heard of food dye working on wigs, but I don't know about mixing it with Sharpies.

Test it! I'm curious now.

Bealzabub
09-30-2007, 03:40 AM
Does anyone know how to get a nice seafoam green on a wig? (Sharpie ratios, colour mixtures, all that.)

benihime
09-30-2007, 04:42 AM
the closest i got to sea foam was that one color.... gaaah i can't remember.. and it was close but it wasn't teal-y enough. i would try one drop of a teal color with that i think there's a color called seafoam? but technically it isn't..

Razia
09-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Crystalike/Twilight Clover - I got impatient and ended up just trying it on the wig. See my "Wig not taking the dye ;/" topic for details ^.^;; Tho I have no idea if the food coloring has anything to do with it, or if the wig just refuses to take ink in general.

Malicious
09-30-2007, 08:51 PM
i purchased this wig and i need to dye it a very light pink. http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/1981/wigoim0.jpg
the problem is i only have one pink sharpie, only one! i colored a small sample onto the wig itself, and the color is a little too concentrated. plus i don't think one sharpie will be enough for this long wig if i color it by hand. I was thinking of using the alcohol method and plus i heard that its easy to dilute the color with more alcohol i ncase the color is too intense. i would like the color to be like miwako from parakisshttp://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5746/miwakosakuradajn5.jpg
is it possible to achieve the color i want with just one pink sharpie?

Crystalike
09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Mallicious: No way is one sharpie going to dye the wig completely light pink. you're going to need at LEAST 4 Sharpies.

Malicious
09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
^ awww...well good thing i asked before trying to dye it with one sharpie !! ^_^; thanks for the info

benihime
09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
thats a LONG WIG you're going to need at least 3-4 sharpies, maybe even more. for my nell wig i used 2 i think? and that was a short wig...
sharpies really don't cost much though

Malicious
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
^ i know they don't but its impossible to find pink sharpies anywhere...mine came in a big packet of like 24 different color sharpies

Doctor Blind
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
^ i know they don't but its impossible to find pink sharpies anywhere...mine came in a big packet of like 24 different color sharpies

Check art stores and craft stores. My local Aaron Brothers carries lots of different color sharpies.

benihime
09-30-2007, 11:03 PM
hobby lobby. thats where i got mine. i think joanne's has some too?

Kerodohi
10-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Would I be able to dye a darkish gray wig red with Sharpies? Or would that be too dark of a base color?

Mangochutney
10-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Too dark. You'd end up getting a dark muted red.

cherryteagirl5
10-11-2007, 12:18 PM
If your wig is long, I suggested not dying it with sharpies. I dyed my Athena (KoF 2003) wig purple and the color smeared all over the place, especially when I wore it during the summer...and it really shows on the bias tape on the back and shoulders >.<. I'd rather just buy a wig in the right color. But I don't know. Maybe it's the wig fiber that was the problem. It was a Toyokalon wig (Spirit store brand).
Do you think it would have worked better if the wig were Kanekalon?

Shinigami_Mimi
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
If your wig is long, I suggested not dying it with sharpies. I dyed my Athena (KoF 2003) wig purple and the color smeared all over the place, especially when I wore it during the summer...and it really shows on the bias tape on the back and shoulders >.<. I'd rather just buy a wig in the right color. But I don't know. Maybe it's the wig fiber that was the problem. It was a Toyokalon wig (Spirit store brand).
Do you think it would have worked better if the wig were Kanekalon?

The same thing happened with me with my Namine wig. ^^; It stained the top of the white dress and my skin D; But someone was telling me it was because I didn't leave it in hot water long enough O__o

setsuna_cutey
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I bought a nice white perfect wig to redo my Juri cosplay (from Utena). Thing is, I'm European. We have no sharpies here, but other marker brands. Does the brand matter? I also wonder if it's a good idea to paint it with markers. I can't however find any other methods on this forum and this happens to be the one sticky on the matter of dying wigs. Did no one ever try dying a wig with for example printer cartridges, textil paint, or regular wig paint?

Technowraith
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I bought a nice white perfect wig to redo my Juri cosplay (from Utena). Thing is, I'm European. We have no sharpies here, but other marker brands. Does the brand matter? I also wonder if it's a good idea to paint it with markers. I can't however find any other methods on this forum and this happens to be the one sticky on the matter of dying wigs. Did no one ever try dying a wig with for example printer cartridges, textil paint, or regular wig paint?

Never heard of trying printer ink cartidges for dyeing.

Sharpie is just a brand name here in the US. Following logical reasoning, any kind of permanent marker should work. Never tried dyeing stuff with markers, but i know the process isn't too hard. You just need a lot of markers. Most people here use anywhere from 8-12 markers.

Lothlin
10-12-2007, 01:13 PM
There's also the FW ink method, there's a thread on that as well- you might be able to find that brand of ink in an art supply store (or at least order it online.) I've used it before and it works well ^^

crash_override
10-12-2007, 09:03 PM
hello thar!

i'm going to be implementing the sharpie dye method to two of my wigs for next year's cosplay (lightning and nel) and i have a few questions.

1. has anyone used the burgundy sharpie before? i don't know how dark it is since i've never used it myself and i'm suspicious of the color swatches they put on the sites.
2. is the pink sharpie a super bright pink or like a baby pink?
3. if i were to use 3 pink sharpies and 2 burgundy, would the burgundy completely overpower the pink?
4. has anyone ever mixed a good seafoam green? i was thinking of mixing mint and lime green, but idk
5. which kinds of fibers will take dye the best? i know kanekalon does and cheap wigs don't, but what about anything else (like toyakalon sp??)?

i'm fairly clear on the methods, it's just these pesky little questions i have ;_;
gomen na, i'm so noob with wigs ;_;

pinkspiderforev
10-13-2007, 09:09 PM
2. is the pink sharpie a super bright pink or like a baby pink?

The pink sharpie is a raspberry/hot pink...kind of hard to describe.

http://ualberta.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31960083&id=120404818

http://ualberta.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31960101&id=120404818

OKay. terrible pictures of me, but kind of gives you an idea of how the pink turns out. Oh, not sure how much of an effect it had, but the wig was a bubblegum pink to start with so I just had to get it darker. Not sure if that helps...

spanner
10-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Okay, so I fail at cutting wigs into the style I need and I'm really running out of time. I've found a Roni (http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=16469&cat=2446&page=2) wig in like almost a platinum blond, however, I heard this particular kind is a bit difficult to take dyes. Has anyone here ever tried dying this wig with the Sharpie method?

So there isn't any misunderstanding~ the wig is the blond, I need it to be an aqua color~

meepstio
10-13-2007, 09:36 PM
what sharpie would make a platinum blonde? O_o

spanner
10-13-2007, 09:44 PM
No, the wig itself is already platinum. I need it to be an aqua color. I just want to know if this particular wig has any issues being dyed.

Sh!bby
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM

OKay. terrible pictures of me, but kind of gives you an idea of how the pink turns out. Oh, not sure how much of an effect it had, but the wig was a bubblegum pink to start with so I just had to get it darker. Not sure if that helps...

Did you hand-color the wig or dunk/spray it? I'm ordering the Ivy (http://cosworx.com/product.php?productid=26259&cat=2471&page=1) wig from Cosworx, in pink. I'm cosplaying Lucy from Elfen Lied (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q215/AnnaMoonshadow/Elfen%20Lied/?action=view&current=th100px-Evil_Lucy-1.jpg), so I just need it darkened to that raspberry-pink.

What mixture would you recommend? I have a handful of Berry Sharpies, and a few purple and red ones. I also have some extra money at my disposal to buy whatever extra colors I would need.

^_^ Danke!

pinkspiderforev
10-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Did you hand-color the wig or dunk/spray it? I'm ordering the Ivy (http://cosworx.com/product.php?productid=26259&cat=2471&page=1) wig from Cosworx, in pink. I'm cosplaying Lucy from Elfen Lied (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q215/AnnaMoonshadow/Elfen%20Lied/?action=view&current=th100px-Evil_Lucy-1.jpg), so I just need it darkened to that raspberry-pink.

What mixture would you recommend? I have a handful of Berry Sharpies, and a few purple and red ones. I also have some extra money at my disposal to buy whatever extra colors I would need.

^_^ Danke!

That wig was a punky in hot pink. I found the color it came was just bubblegum pink. The black part I did by hand(waaaaay too much time, effort and sharpies) and the top part I sprayed. I very much recommend spraying it, it seemed to be a lot more efficient, I actually only used two berry sharpies and one cup of 71% alcohol. I only wound up using half of that. I'm not sure how much you'll need as your wig is much longer than mine.

Sorry...that's kind of disorganized. Let me know if you need clarification/I missed something. Or if you just have more questions.

Sh!bby
10-13-2007, 09:58 PM
That wig was a punky in hot pink. I found the color it came was just bubblegum pink. The black part I did by hand(waaaaay too much time, effort and sharpies) and the top part I sprayed. I very much recommend spraying it, it seemed to be a lot more efficient, I actually only used two berry sharpies and one cup of 71% alcohol. I only wound up using half of that. I'm not sure how much you'll need as your wig is much longer than mine.

Sorry...that's kind of disorganized. Let me know if you need clarification/I missed something. Or if you just have more questions.

Actually, that was exactly the info I needed! The Ivy comes in a lighter pink, and I was planning on dunking it out of laziness, but spraying it uses less dye, I guess. So I think I'll use five or six of the berry markers and a red one if the dye looks too pinkish.

Then I get to take my wig to my hairstylist (who is hugely into anime...) and she says she'll razor-cut the bangs for free. XD I love her so.

pinkspiderforev
10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Actually, that was exactly the info I needed! The Ivy comes in a lighter pink, and I was planning on dunking it out of laziness, but spraying it uses less dye, I guess. So I think I'll use five or six of the berry markers and a red one if the dye looks too pinkish.

Then I get to take my wig to my hairstylist (who is hugely into anime...) and she says she'll razor-cut the bangs for free. XD I love her so.

Just a heads up, the dye looks REALLY dark before you spray it on. I was intimidated XD

That's so great that your stylist will do that...I wish I could get someone to do it for me...Or just find a better way to make mine stay put.

Bahzi
10-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Okay, so I fail at cutting wigs into the style I need and I'm really running out of time. I've found a Roni (http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=16469&cat=2446&page=2) wig in like almost a platinum blond, however, I heard this particular kind is a bit difficult to take dyes. Has anyone here ever tried dying this wig with the Sharpie method?

So there isn't any misunderstanding~ the wig is the blond, I need it to be an aqua color~

Mmm, it might not take dye too well. From what I understand, most if not all of the New Look wigs are elora, which supposedly doesn't take dye that well, or rather, a lot of the dye continues to rinse out each time the wig is wet after dying. This is just what I've heard though.

Also, I have a question for everyone as well. I've used the sharpie/rubbing alcohol method before, but I thought maybe someone here had more experience than I, and maybe some exerience just tinting wigs.

I'm trying to add a slight (just enough to make you wonder if it's got a tint) blue tint to my Sesshoumaru wig. I found this color sharpie at joanns: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/animeisha/blueicesharpie.jpg It's called Blue Ice.

How many do you think it would take to just faintly tint my wig blue. The wig is an amanda from cosworx (Sepia brand I believe) and is kanekalon. It's 48" long, and is slightly thicker than a normal amanda because of the kanekalon extensions I added. The wig is pure white, not silver.

I was thinking one sharpie divided between like 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol would do it, but does anyone else have any idea?

Attached is a pic of the color I am trying to achieve.

Lothlin
10-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Oh no, I can vouch for the Elora not taking dye as well as the last wig I dyed (though, I was using FW instead of sharpies)- I spent a good part of the last two days trying to get a wig to take enough of the dye to look good. Eventually, I did get it so that the water ran clear but I still had enough dye sticking to it to get the color I needed.

It's kind of odd, it was mostly towards the roots that the dye was really coming off (the tips of the wig took the dye a lot better.) I wonder if there's some sort of chemical residue near the base of the wefts.

Bahzi
10-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh no, I can vouch for the Elora not taking dye as well as the last wig I dyed (though, I was using FW instead of sharpies)- I spent a good part of the last two days trying to get a wig to take enough of the dye to look good. Eventually, I did get it so that the water ran clear but I still had enough dye sticking to it to get the color I needed.

It's kind of odd, it was mostly towards the roots that the dye was really coming off (the tips of the wig took the dye a lot better.) I wonder if there's some sort of chemical residue near the base of the wefts.

I figured what I had heard was true...I've heard it said many a time after all. You say you've dyed a couple wigs right Lothlin? Have you ever tried to dye a pack of drlocks silky braid extensions? I'm curious if they take dye very well, because my Sesshoumaru wig has a couple packs of them in it, and I was wondering if some parts of my wig would take dye better or worse than others because of it.

Thanks for any insight you can give me. ^^

Lothlin
10-13-2007, 10:57 PM
This is only the second wig I've dyed, and I haven't had to use any extensions before. ><. I'm still mostly a learner in the subject myself, to be honest- sorry I can't be of more help.

But, a friend of mine just ordered a couple packs of silky extensions for herself, once she gets them in I can maybe go see if she has some extra I can steal and test on. Assuming someone with more experience hasn't answered your question by then XD

Bahzi
10-13-2007, 10:59 PM
This is only the second wig I've dyed, and I haven't had to use any extensions before. ><. I'm still mostly a learner in the subject myself, to be honest- sorry I can't be of more help.

But, a friend of mine just ordered a couple packs of silky extensions for herself, once she gets them in I can maybe go see if she has some extra I can steal and test on. Assuming someone with more experience hasn't answered your question by then XD

No problem, thanks anyway for the reply! ^^ Hope to see you as Miroku at Sugoi!

Lothlin
10-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Hah, and I hope to see you as Sesshi XD I can't wait to see the finished product!

(Oh bugger, I have to fix my staff x.x)

Devi 1313
10-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Hi! I'm on the Lucy bus too! So just berry sharpies work well? I've got a wig that was white, but then I dyed it using Katie Bair's raspberry pink dye, but it's eleora so most of it rinsed off. From what I hear I need to wash the old dye off with rubbing alcohol before I try something different, right?

Sh!bby
10-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Hi! I'm on the Lucy bus too! So just berry sharpies work well? I've got a wig that was white, but then I dyed it using Katie Bair's raspberry pink dye, but it's eleora so most of it rinsed off. From what I hear I need to wash the old dye off with rubbing alcohol before I try something different, right?

I've never used Katie Bair's dye, but from what I've heard of it, I'm assuming it works in a manner similar to the Sharpies, so a 91% alcohol should remove it. Although, you should only need to remove it if it's extremely spotty or something. Streaky is fine, as it'll give the wig a nice realism, and who doesn't wanna see real! Lucy? Okay, I'm sure we'd all prefer Nyu, but w/e....

The Sharpie dye should actually deepen the color of your dye. It'll darken whatever color you put it on, from reading this thread. Is that your wig in your icon, or another wig you have? If that's the wig you have, then the Sharpies should stick well enough to achieve the color you desire. If it's lighter than that, it may take a few coats, so save the dye.

Eleora is EVIL EVIL stuff, it seems. XD But you should be able to get it to stick sufficiently enough.

I fear that the Ivy wig I'm getting may be Eleora, as it is a New Look. Unfortunately, it's the wig best suited to my needs (long wig with long bangs for the butchering), and cosworx is the company best suited to my time constraints (everything needs to be done by mid-november, and I have to work around school/work/running anime club/running the Atheist club).

Which reminds me, it is possible to make sharpie dye in one day, yes? I saw someone mention taking over a week to do so. I intend on squeezing the ink into the alcohol instead of just swishing it, as that seems like it would be very effective.

And that's probably a really retarded question, come to think of it.

Lothlin
10-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Isn't the Ivy wig a Sepia style?

Hell, I just got one *checks the tags* Yeah, it's sepia brand and the tag says kanekalon.

Bahzi
10-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Which reminds me, it is possible to make sharpie dye in one day, yes? I saw someone mention taking over a week to do so. I intend on squeezing the ink into the alcohol instead of just swishing it, as that seems like it would be very effective.

And that's probably a really retarded question, come to think of it.

That's what I did for my Tonks wig...just cut open the sharpie cartridge lengthwise and squeezed the ink out....it gets your fingers colored whatever shade you're working with, but it works! Took me about 10 minutes.

pinkspiderforev
10-14-2007, 12:34 PM
I just slit open two ink cartridges and put them and the alcohol in a bottle. Let it sit and shook it up every once in a while for like, 20-30 minutes and it was well saturated. Didn't take too long ^^

Sh!bby
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Isn't the Ivy wig a Sepia style?

Hell, I just got one *checks the tags* Yeah, it's sepia brand and the tag says kanekalon.

Awesome! Whew, I was kind of afraid for a bit...It didn't give me a color chart and I had read somewhere on the thread made for the exclusive wigs that it was a New Look, so I looked at the charts and it seemed to match the New Look chart. But, I'm glad it's a Sepia. VERY glad.

crash_override
10-14-2007, 08:44 PM

bahhh that ruins all my plannss ><

i still need help ;_; ... can someone please advise me on how would i achieve these two colors???
1. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/Nelltu1.jpg --- greenish seafoam???
2. between this (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff13/propaganda/ff1311.jpg) and this (http://www.finalfantasy13.net/images/lightning_large.jpg) --- light brown/dusty pink???

arigatou gozhaimasu!