PDA

View Full Version : Creative usage of the self-timer option

ryuuraigeki
05-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Has anyone else ever done this with any amount of success? I did a photoshoot with myself yesterday in my semi-complete time jump sasuke costume (photos here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ryuu_raigeki/Cosplay/time%20jump%20sasuke/back%20yard%20photoshoot/?start=0)), and found it to actually be sort of fun with all the running to get in place like a madman before the timer hit zero. (particularly when I had to hit the button, run fifteen feet, lie down on the grass and look relaxed (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ryuu_raigeki/Cosplay/time%20jump%20sasuke/back%20yard%20photoshoot/DSCF1780_crop.jpg) within the space of ten seconds)

If you're taking photos yourself, then there's no need to credit, and you're free to keep at it for as long as you want. On the downside, some shots are really hard to get without someone holding the camera...

Any stories/photos to share of your own?

staereo
05-21-2006, 02:17 PM
All I can say is that you must be in STUPENDOUS shape to get way out there and into pose.

Anyway, great job! And neat costumes. You do a good job of not looking like you took the pictures. I certainly wouldn't have guessed.

Heres another thread that has some discussion about this, if you're interested:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=81838

Kudos!
Bruce

ryuuraigeki
05-21-2006, 04:06 PM
...I'm in horrible shape. XD I'm just good at posing veeeery quickly, I guess.

Hee, thanks.

Hm, I wonder if this thread'll get locked. I missed that thread in my quick once-over of the forum before posting. X_x *dumb* This one's more specific in scope, so maybe it won't, though. eheh...

staereo
05-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Dont mean to invade space, but you dont appear to be in horrible shape in your pics. :P

Probably not, I'd say this is slightly more specific. *cheer*

Bruce

ryuuraigeki
05-22-2006, 12:06 AM
XD I have a Yuffie-build, yeah. I don't exercise much though, so I've no muscle or endurance. ;-;

yay!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-22-2006, 12:25 AM
ugg...i do this all the time, but my pics never come out as good as yours! where do you place your camera? on a table? how far from you? do you check to make sure it'll get the full you? I can't seem to get a full body shot of myself...and also they always come out blurry and i don't understand why. Well, not all of them. The Yuffie pics in my gallery are perfect examples of when i can't get a full body shot, but they come out un-blurry. o.O i'm at a complete loss. There's no one EVER to take my pictures...so i always have to do them myself

Tess
05-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I love self-timer. ^__^ The majority of the non-con pictures in my gallery are taken with self-timer in my backyard. I like that it gives me free reign of how the pictures turn out. For some reason they come out more flattering than the pictures that most other people take of me, hah.

@-->--- Tess

Ollie
05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I can't seem to get a full body shot of myself...and also they always come out blurry and i don't understand why. (snip) There's no one EVER to take my pictures...so i always have to do them myself

Your camera is most likely autofocusing on something behind where you stand. I think virtually all cameras will autofocus when you hit the button, not 10 seconds (or so) later when it's about to go off. Try to put something small where you'll stand in order for the camera to autofocus at the right distance before you get there. If that doesn't work, make sure you're not too close to some light sources, as infrared light can screw up your autofocus, too.

For some reason they come out more flattering than the pictures that most other people take of me, hah.

It's because you have to actually think about what you're going to do and how to pose beforehand. Most people will just point and shoot (and hope for good results).

*Shiva*
05-22-2006, 12:06 PM
All of my photoshoots (except Arwen Coronation, when I wrestled my Mom into being photographer) are self timed. It works really well, but sometimes you do have to scramble and then appear relaxed! xD

My fav? http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=539469

I had to rearrange my skirts, open the book, not rustle the candles and look all serene in about 10 seconds. LOL.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Shiva: that picture is really gorgeous!!

My one question is where do you all set your camera and how do you prep it? I guess that's my problem. I tried to take some self-timed pics last night and, of course, they came out horrible.

*Shiva*
05-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks!

But its the prep that really makes the difference. First I make sure I set the camera on a flat surface, or prop it up on a solid angle. For me, I most often use a music stand, which allows a lot of heights and angles, and is portable! For the Arwen pic above, however, I just set it on the arm of a chair.

Next, I make sure to check the camera screen to see what my composition looks like. A big mistake is often to place the camera too close, so you cut your head off or something. Take a practice pic or two to get the composition you want. Another thing to avoid is letting the surface you've set your camera on get into the pic - that can mess up your flashes, etc. Put your camera as close to the edge of the surface as is safely possible, and zoom in a bit to avoid catching it in your frame.

Now you know everything is set up well, get yourself as ready as possible before setting the timer. Hold your props, and know your pose already.

Set the timer, and go! Make sure you hold as still as possible once you hit your position. :)

penny_dreadful
05-22-2006, 08:45 PM
I live for the self-timer. It's a beautiful thing. I do much as Shiva does-- set the camera close to the edge of whatever surface it's on (shelves, tables, chairs, that sort of thing), check to make sure the angle and view is all right, push the button, and set myself up.

It frequently takes a few tries to get a picture I'm really happy with-- I'm still learning to gauge the correct distances.

It's great when, like me, you're frequently without a photographer; I take lots of pictures in the wee hours when I'm caffeinated and can't think of anything else to do besides get dressed up and photo shoot myself.

--Penny

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-22-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm like you, penny. I hardly EVER have someone to take pictures of me. Either out of sheer embarassment (when i'm back in the dorms...i hate explaining myself!) or just because it's late or something (which is usually when i take pictures to avoid my father's "isn't that a little too sexy?" comments) I thank you all for explaining how you take your self-timer pictures. I'm going to try again tonight and hopefully it'll look all right enough to put on line in the place of the crappy mirror shot.

HackerEd
05-22-2006, 09:58 PM
The art of the self timer is something I've discovered as well. Seeing as how I'm the only one home when there's correct lighting and oportunity to do pictures, I just take it upon myself to drag a table/chair/box/bench the right height for the shot where I need it to be and practice. The pictures in my "Bizenghast" album, as well as the 2 pictures of Hinaichigo and the one of Hikari in my gallery were taken with this method. I want to do this with all my cosplay, and am in the process of procuring a good tripod from my dad. Good luck^^

SolarTempest
05-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Nice shots!

I've done a little self potraiture over the past few years too. Definitely a challenge with all that running! My favourite shot is probably the one here:
http://photography.solartempest.net/index.php?location=11

Had to run like a madman, jumping over slippery rocks and water after starting the timer on my camera =P

That was taken a few years ago though. Now I've upgraded to having a remote control for my camera (with selftimer) so I can take the self portraits without frantically trying to get into a pose. Hooray for laziness!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-22-2006, 10:14 PM
remote control? u must have a pretty fancy camera :) I am investing in possible a 8 megapixel camera this summer. right now i have to suffer w/ what my mcdonalds salary brought me last year around this time...

SolarTempest
05-23-2006, 05:14 AM
My camera's alright, hehe =)
Well gluck on the new camera purchase! I'm sure it will be good.

Angelwing
05-23-2006, 09:37 AM
I had no idea that you can buy a remote control for the shutter release. I'll definately invest in that soon. I took about 100 pics of my Kairi by myself a couple of weeks ago and it left my legs sore for days after getting up to set the self-timer and sitting down to pose. A small and wireless remote control could really save time and make all that much easier.

staereo
05-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Many dSLRs either have proprietary built in wireless remote sensors for remote triggers, or they have advanced inputs for your choice of wired or wireless triggers.

I would say there are more that do offer it than don't, so you may want to check for your own personal camera. It may definately be a possibility.

Bruce

SolarTempest
05-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I think my remote is compatible with all the Nikon Coolpix Cameras, so if you have one of those, you might be all set. Regardless, maybe all the running is good to getting us into shape!

staereo
05-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I think my remote is compatible with all the Nikon Coolpix Cameras, so if you have one of those, you might be all set. Regardless, maybe all the running is good to getting us into shape!

Excercize. Blasphemy!

erm.. yes... running is good.

*shudder*

Zan
05-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh man, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only crazy person who does this! I usually set my dressform up where I'm going to stand, focus the camera, make sure it's on manual focus (so it doesn't try to auto-focus itself again when I take the picture)- and then there's the whole part of running back and forth...

These are two of my adventures with self-timers:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=684367

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=677454

It seems to work out better than trying to convince people that they want to go on big adventures to take photos in who-knows-where. It's also easier to get the photo you want with yourself than trying to explain to someone else...

*Shiva*
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
It's also easier to get the photo you want with yourself than trying to explain to someone else...

Agreed - plus, I don't have to feel guilty about asking the photographer to redo the shot a million times before I get the one I like.

staereo
05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Agreed - plus, I don't have to feel guilty about asking the photographer to redo the shot a million times before I get the one I like.

Honestly, I've always observed this in the opposite fashion. Most models tend to be the impatient ones. Of course, those who just got to do a quick sitting with me got a taste of how I shoot. Some people even laughed.

"Hold it...."
"STAY!"
"don't move"
"stay right there, Im taking a few"
"ok, hold that pose, Im going to try a few different angles from that pose"
"hold that pose, but turn your body...." or ".. but turn your head" or "..but lift your chin" or "...but look with your eyes at____."

Typically, as the photographer, I tend to push a models patience to hold a pose, or redo what seems to be the same shot, often exposure bracketing or changing focal lengths while keeping angle of view.

Because what models often observe is the photographer just moving frontwards and backwards, or changing a camera setting between pics, it can seem like the photographer is just getting a bunch of the same shot, because its of the pose. But in reality, many things change, even when it seems they dont.

This can make many models impatient and tired from holding a pose. I definately find myself using a models stamina and patience as criteria in judging how I feel about them.

SOOOO, as a model (essentially what you are when youre getting your picture taken) you definately shouldnt feel bad about asking the photographer to make another go for the shot.

I've had models tell me they want to try more. To me, I see it as the model having the same desire for a high standard of quality in the images they create. I think thats a positive quality.

Bruce

SolarTempest
05-30-2006, 06:00 PM
I've had models tell me they want to try more. To me, I see it as the model having the same desire for a high standard of quality in the images they create. I think thats a positive quality.
I love it when models ask me to do several takes or redo a shot on the same pose. We're all working towards the same goal (best shots possible) so I find it awesome when a model is in tune with how they look when shots are taken.

It's so much better having the model say, "Can I do that again? I think I blinked" rather than them not saying anything and having the shot with the best pose not turn out.

gmontem
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I think you guys gave me an explanation why I had fun taking pics of the dollfies at Fanime. They don't complain about not doing different poses and they remain perfectly still. If I get a soft image the fault would be mine and not the model. Oh snap I don't like that reason one bit.

ZiggyB
05-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Yah, more cosplayers need to learn that from the Dollfies. ;-)

Winters Knight
05-31-2006, 08:44 PM
A good portion of my photographs are taken with the self timer. I much perfer having a photographer present though since two heads are better than one with figuring out good poses and angles. I've certainly rigged up some interesting apparattus in the past in order to take my own picture though. Often they just involve stacks of bricks, but sometimes they get a bit more MacGuyver-like.
As for standing still for long periods of time.. while it's not that comfy, at least it's not as long as I used to have to sit for art modeling lol.

gmontem
05-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Just for fun and laughs I'd love to see a photographer stack a bunch of ND filters and have a cosplayer outside a busy convention building stand still for 10 seconds or so for an exposure that long. Hopefully that's long enough to make most passersby magically "disappear" lol.

SolarTempest
05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
You can actually get 10 or 13 stop ND filters by B+W. I'm on a bit of a quest to find a 13 myself... a tad expensive but huge creative options!

LyddieGal
06-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I love using the self timer, and have done it for nearly every costume I own, with the exception of Lulu, cuz it's just too hard to move in! My favorites would have to be these:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=654241

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=557994

While sometimes I love the serenity and enjoyment of being both subject and photographer, other times its really a blessing to have someone else there to tell you when your hair has gotten messed up, or something is crooked. And wont cut off your feet - though a good many amateur photographers will do that anyway, and i don't mean in a deliberate manner.

Andrea
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
*laughs* I live alone, so everything in my gallery that wasn't at a con (and most of the stuff that was) is thanks to the self-timer and a tripod. The stuff that really was crazy was... well, the Sydney pics out in the forest. His leg armor/boot covers are hard enough to move around in on an open flat surface - I kept getting caught on vines and stuff as I hurried to get into position. ;)

I've found that anytime I use the timer, I wind up tossing out at least 2/3s of the shots I take due to not having quite the right pose or not being in quite the spot I wanted - but that's normal even for professional photoshoots, I think. Always take about a billion pictures, never just one of any given pose, and eventually you'll have a few that you like. ;) And then there's some accidental ones...

Bluucircles
06-06-2006, 05:09 AM
I always feel bad asking people to take photos of me. No one is usually around, or I don't want to be a burden. Or it just seems weird. It's hard finding people who are interested in taking a whole shoot of photos of you in some weirdo costume. I did a whole photoshoot by myself here (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=43276&member=9341). I'm quite proud of it, and it was a lot easier to do by myself. I didn't have to feel embarassed or afraid to do poses I had in mind. I owe it all to having a tripod though. It makes the world so very lovely.

sparr
01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
First, I am not a cosplayer. I have to take my own photo on occasion for other reasons, and have a tight budget.

That said, it should be obvious, but in case someone is trying this with the camera set on a tabletop, get a tripod. You don't need some $200 monstrosity, just something that keeps the camera pointing where you want it with minimal fuss. I use an Ultra-Pod (http://www.pedcopods.com/specsup1.htm), 4.4" tall when in use, collapses into a 5"x1.5"x1.5" space for carrying. Also comes in handy for long exposures (low light, no flash, or motion blur shots).

It helps if you have a camera with a longer delay time. 10 seconds is barely enough when you're mobile. 15 is still tight. My Canon PowerShot A630 has a programmable timer up to 30 seconds, and my previous Nikon (forgot the model) went up to 60.

Finally, if your camera supports it, set it to take multiple photos. My A630 can delay 30 seconds then take 10 shots (about 1 per second). Being able to throw away the 9 bad ones makes things a lot easier, viva la digital!

arrowchild
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
I actually prefer the self-timer, believe it or not. My mother, who is a photographer, took some of my early cosplay pics and, while they were good, I found that because she was only vaguely familiar with the character, I never quite got the atmosphere or angles that I wanted. Granted, if I could find someone whose skills I trusted AND who was into anime it might be a different story.
But for now, I likes the self-timer! Especially with a digital.

Spetsnaz
01-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Why yes, yes I have.

And believe it or not, these pictures are with my old camera (ONLY 2.0 Megapixels.)

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9654/dscf002813uw.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3745/dscf003219zs.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3518/after8rd.jpg

Enjoy. :rockon:

sparr
01-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Oh yeah... and it really helps if you have a camera where you can see the LCD from the front, while posing for a timer pic, like the Canon PowerShot A630.

Pliskin
02-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh yeah... and it really helps if you have a camera where you can see the LCD from the front, while posing for a timer pic, like the Canon PowerShot A630.

I had a camera for the longest time that didn't have the ability, so I actually set-up a small mirror so I could see what the LCD was seeing.

BoredHorror
02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I actually prefer the self-timer, believe it or not... I never quite got the atmosphere or angles that I wanted. Granted, if I could find someone whose skills I trusted AND who was into anime it might be a different story.
But for now, I likes the self-timer! Especially with a digital.

I agree. I was trying to explain to my friend to take a picture a certain way..but it's just easier sometimes to take it yourself...
these ones were all taken by me and my self timer: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=63856&member=51966
and the first 4 here, I took by myself too: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=53365&member=51966

I'm particularly proud of these 2 :
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=963252
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=965903

Efecss
02-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I don't have a timer on my camera. Basically because, its not digital.

I have used an extended cable release. Basically a 60 ft, 1/4 inch tube that attaches to a screw on apparatus and on the other end is a squeeze bulb.

I can set in on the ground and stomp on it to take a picture. And I have used it when I was animating my tripod with my 8mm film camera.

I find it quite nifty.

sanjuan
02-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Here is an example of some fun I had with the self timer:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sanjuan87/fight.jpg
I took one shot of me kicking, ran back and took another shot of me blocking. Then I overlayed the 2 images on photoshop and voila. The block was a tad off and the lighting changed in between shots but still funny :D

Heat
02-11-2007, 12:05 AM
75% of the pictures in my gallery were taken using the 10 sec timer on my camera...I've become proficient XD

Death_By_Moogle
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Peh....
I've only ever taken pics with my timer. Too bad my camera stinks.
I'm hoping to be getting a new one soon though!
^__^
WOOOO!!!

char-lie
02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Here is an example of some fun I had with the self timer:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sanjuan87/fight.jpg
I took one shot of me kicking, ran back and took another shot of me blocking. Then I overlayed the 2 images on photoshop and voila. The block was a tad off and the lighting changed in between shots but still funny :D

GOSH!! o___O that's pretty ingenious - I will try that, too : D
awesome pic/idea *applaudes*

sanjuan
02-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks! Though I think this gal did a much better job at it than I:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sanjuan87/cimg06015om.jpg

Chibi-Sama
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Has anyone else ever done this with any amount of success? I did a photoshoot with myself yesterday in my semi-complete time jump sasuke costume and found it to actually be sort of fun with all the running to get in place like a madman before the timer hit zero.

On the downside, some shots are really hard to get without someone holding the camera...

Any stories/photos to share of your own?

I do pictures of myself all the time! ^^ It's so much fun, and I don't feel as embarrased when trying to get the certain poses I want... nor do I have to worry about someone else getting frustrated with me because I can't get the look just the way I want it. o_o; Maybe I'm too picky, but I want to take nice photos!

Usually I do the shots of myself in my bedroom though, and then I'll ask a friend to edit the background with photoshop. They usually turn out really awesome.

Plus, when taking the pictures myself... I don't have to feel rushed (except to find the good pose). If someone else is taking it, I end up going blank and I have no idea how to pose. My best Sakura Haruno pictures are the ones that I've taken myself. ^^I

hope to upload some eventually, after I develop and scan them since I lost the camera cord. o_o;;