PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Contest 2006

Dany
05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Perhaps it's early for some. For others, it's likely the home stretch for this event. So inevitably, there must be a spanky new thread :) Part roll call, part costume call (unless you're operating on secret mode), part progress report, part 'whatever'. :)

I'm being semi-private about what I'm doing, other than that it will be an original with a lot of elements pulled from all over, and fire is involved (no, not onstage! :) ). I'm sure someone will be able to go "that part's from this" and "that part's a different version of that". Which is OK :bigtu: The idea came to me last year, but couldn't be squashed into the time or money budget. This year, however, she's in and she's my Big Thing.

I started her early this year, but had to put her on pause while working on my Costume-Con 24 masquerade entry. Meantime, she's been (not-so) patiently waiting in a box for me to come back to her. CC24 is this weekend, so I don't have to wait much longer. Plus, I have my SO involved making a Death costume now, which geeks me out even more.

So...here's a little call out for this year's entrants, and those who will be watching from the wings :angel:

Hikaruchan
05-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I have gathered various materials for my Dawn costume, but haven't totally finalized the design yet. Just doing an original that I can rewear elsewhere.

The_Balrog
05-24-2006, 06:02 AM
Last year I did the Geisha Dawn this year I'm doing something alittle more fun and flirty. I haven't started but I'll be able to knock it out soon. I'm working out and losing some weight. Dedication to a possible job.
My Dawn this year is really pretty hush hush but i will tell you that its not an image or design created. Very original and kinda unique for me.
I recently bought the shoes for the costume and now I'm in search for the perfect wig.

Wish I could tell you more but as usual everything is very *top secret*.

Miss ya all and see ya real soon.

Dany
05-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Balrog: I remember the Geisha! *fans self* OK, I saw it on the DVD (because the DVD is good 'research' for first timers like myself who have no clue what's coming for the most part) but still...marvelous :D

Looking forward to see what the new thing looks like... And good luck on the wig search...I've had to search for a couple too many in recent times. Something out there persists on making me like costumes that require blonde wigs. :P

The_Balrog
05-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks. Yeah I got the DVD too but never thought I'd be on the cover. The Tech guys must have liked me. Yeah this year is going to be wild. Make sure you sign up cause space does fill up.
I'm staff so I have to fit in costuming when I can, but it will be ok however I have to factor in travel time now with the hotel I'm staying out.

Can't wait to see what everyone has created and made. I'm getting all excited!! 100 days or so.

Dany
05-24-2006, 11:45 PM
I think the sign-up process is scheduled sometime after check in at the hotel Thursday...*heh* Kidding, actually. But yes, ASAP. I'd sign up online now and get it out of the way if I could ;)

Vespertinal
05-25-2006, 05:18 PM
I've been debating about entering the Dawn competition ever since registering for Dragon Con. It would be my first time entering, but Iím a little hesitant just because I just donít know what to expect. However, I do have a particular design in mind. It's fairly simple, but it works.

If I donít enter, Iíll definitely be watching. I never miss a Dawn competition unless I canít attend DC.

:)

Dany
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
I've been debating about entering the Dawn competition ever since registering for Dragon Con. It would be my first time entering, but Iím a little hesitant just because I just donít know what to expect. However, I do have a particular design in mind. It's fairly simple, but it works.

If I donít enter, Iíll definitely be watching. I never miss a Dawn competition unless I canít attend DC.

I'm a first-timer too...though I've been chewing on the idea for several years, and about this time last year finally decided I was going to give it a try. Plus, the contest just keeps growing from year to year, so new people are always coming in to give it a chance. In short, you won't be alone in your new-ness. :)

Plus, it sounds like you've actually watched the competition live before, which is always a good thing. I had to go buy the DVD from last year ;)

I've found that the regular contestants that compete from year to year are a really good bunch of people for asking questions. Some are here, some are on the dawnlookalikes LJ, some are on both. If there are questions nibbling at your brain, someone out there will likely have an answer for you, or give you an idea how to figure it out.

vampirate
05-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I entered the contest three years in a row. I'm not going to enter it again, but I can still give info on how it's run for those that are curious if they want.

The_Balrog
05-31-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm actaully looking forward to the contest this year but I'm looking for a wig. Any one know where to find the perfect locks for the goddess?
Any insight would be welcomed. Thanks.

Dany
05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm actaully looking forward to the contest this year but I'm looking for a wig. Any one know where to find the perfect locks for the goddess?

I would dare to say that one source could be close enough to nibble at your toes :) *points up to site store banner*. I got my Alucard wig from it, and it's very nice.

I know someone who has a set of swatches for here, and I'll be seeing her probably in the next week or so. I'll take a look at what she has and see what colors would be good fits for Dawn's red hair. If you're looking to get another color, PM me with the details (I promise I won't tell anyone, as I know you're in secret mode :) ).

crimsonvision
06-01-2006, 02:02 PM

I know a few people who have gotten theirs from here: http://stores.ebay.com/Karens-Wigs

I've used her in the past for other wigs (didn't need a wig for Dawn, heh) and all I do is email her and tell her what I am looking for and she finds it!

The_Balrog
06-02-2006, 06:17 PM
I know a few people who have gotten theirs from here: http://stores.ebay.com/Karens-Wigs

I've used her in the past for other wigs (didn't need a wig for Dawn, heh) and all I do is email her and tell her what I am looking for and she finds it!

Thanks, I'll see if she has what I'm looking for.

Vespertinal
06-03-2006, 02:55 AM
I'm a first-timer too...though I've been chewing on the idea for several years, and about this time last year finally decided I was going to give it a try. In short, you won't be alone in your new-ness. :)
Huzzah for first timers! It's good to hear I won't be alone in the new-ness. You sound a lot like me; I've always been debating on the idea since my first DragonCon, maybe I'll actually get the needed umph to do it.

Plus, it sounds like you've actually watched the competition live before, which is always a good thing. I had to go buy the DVD from last year ;)
It's one of the main reasons I got to Dragon Con; I love Dawn and seeing fellow cosplayers dressing as her is just too awesome not to pass up! I completely forgot about the DVD from last year! I really should purchase that as I wasn't able to make DC. And thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check out the dawn look alikes on LJ. :)

I entered the contest three years in a row. I'm not going to enter it again, but I can still give info on how it's run for those that are curious if they want.
Any information on how it's run would be awesome.

The_Balrog
06-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Any information on how it's run would be awesome.

Well basically you sign up Friday or Saturday.If you do not sign up you can be turned away the Saturday night. You arrive to the location they tell you. Make sure to show up on time cause chances are if your late you might be turned away. The staff will assign you a number, which you'll sit in that order. Everyone is pretty helpful and get you anything you need. there is no mirror backstage unless they bring one in this time around.
At some time before the show you line up and get photos taken. Then you'll return to your seats and line up. Finally stage time. After you do your bit, you return to the back and sit. Usually in order but not really. Watch the show on the projector till the end. Its not that bad, everyone is very nice and compliments are passed through out the group. If you didn't get your pics taken before you went on stage you'll take them after.
Finally at some point the judges make decisions and then winners are announced. If you are lucky enough, its picture time. Everyone is given a print usually and then your lined up and do the cat walk for the audience and cameras. Its all fun and by the end of the night you feel like a movie star.

Hope that gives you some insight to the contest. This will be my 2nd year in the contest. So don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is there to help ya out.

Space Invader
06-03-2006, 08:44 PM
If I show my face at Dragon*Con, I'll definately be entering this :). It will most likely be an original, with little pieces pulled from different Dawn artworks (like those adorable little metal sci-fi boots!).

vampirate
06-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Some tips: Bring emergency supplies, makeup, safety pins, etc. Bring a friend. You should be allowed one helper with you backstage. If you have another friend who's entering it's nice to sign up at the same time as them. If they have a party again this year take your friend who sat with you backstage, they earned it. Use the bathroom before hand. They offer to get you water backstage but I always passed cause really, corsets and intake not liking each other. As far as the picture issue goes try and sign up earlyish, mine got really rushed last year cause they rushed them before I went on stage. I think I was in the 30s number wise. Pray for a good emcee. Be nice to the backstage guys. Do not even think about approaching the microphone onstage, it makes people want to hurt you. Any sounds are prerecorded. Maybe they'll change this I dunno, it works kinda weird with some of the performances. If you go for the performance aspect it seems best just to do some sort of dance. If you use music record your one track onto a blank cd. This makes the chances of them messing up your music less. Don't spend forever on stage, even if you are performing. We've all got short attention spans and we get it after a just a little while. Don't just run across stage either, stop and give the audience a chance to see your costume. Don't wear just one color, that all just gets washed out on stage. Details that can be seen up close can be totally invisible on stage. Also hope there's not some bigger celebrity who has the ballroom after the contest. The James Marsters year we all got confined to a much smaller space than normal.

AshleyV
06-03-2006, 10:52 PM
If I finish my outfit I'll be entering. If not then I'll enter in next year.

The_Balrog
06-05-2006, 12:13 AM
And HAVE FUN!

Don't stress out. Just relax enjoy the moment. We're all there to have fun and show off our mad goddess skills.

I pray Voltiare comes back as MC. He's so awesome and I like the energy he gives on stage. He's really gets into it. Not sure if we will be crammed in a small space but I think it all depends on how popular Firefly is this year or what happens to be planned the same time as DAWN.
If I hear anything I'll post it.

Dany
06-05-2006, 02:31 AM
I pray Voltiare comes back as MC. He's so awesome and I like the energy he gives on stage. He's really gets into it.

Well, half the battle is won...Voltaire will be at the con. Now, if Joe and Eva & Co. can convince him..

Wait....he can't be THAT hard to convince! There's pretty ladies involved! :D

In any case, hoping will still happen. Hope for Voltaire to MC, and if not Voltaire, somebody who will take good care of us.

Vespertinal
06-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Judging from the costumes I still need to complete, I may not enter this year. It would also give me a chance to focus on a specific design. Either way, I'll be there cheering you guys on!

Thank-you so much The_Balrog and vampirate for the helpful information and tips.

The_Balrog
06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Judging from the costumes I still need to complete, I may not enter this year. It would also give me a chance to focus on a specific design. Either way, I'll be there cheering you guys on!

Thank-you so much The_Balrog and vampirate for the helpful information and tips.

Aww. Well if you do enter we'll be there too. Your Welcome. When I first entered the contest I had alot of help from some of the veteran costestants. I think thats what makes the contest so much fun. :) Heck wave us down for pics, be nice to meet some people.

QueenAleta
06-23-2006, 11:29 PM
I should be entering provided I finish my costume & can convince a friend of mine to also enter as a partner. Otherwise I'd have to drop my skit idea which would be a shame. It'll be an original design in whit, red & black that will have references to Labyrinth, goth lolita & celtic symbolism.

Dany
06-25-2006, 12:23 PM
I should be entering provided I finish my costume & can convince a friend of mine to also enter as a partner. Otherwise I'd have to drop my skit idea which would be a shame. It'll be an original design in whit, red & black that will have references to Labyrinth, goth lolita & celtic symbolism.

I will use the first words that came to my mind when I read this:

"Ooh, Shiny!"

Speaking of progress...need to catch up a little bit. It's been a busy time when my shoulders haven't been giving me heck. HOWEVER...I now have a serger. I am soooooo geeked! I've been needing one for a long time. Not sure how much use it will get, as several major construction parts have already been completed, but either way.....

Manda
06-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I'll be entering again this year, hopefully. I still haven't begun working on a costume. I'm such a slacker.

Eurobeat King
06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
I'll be entering again this year, hopefully. I still haven't begun working on a costume. I'm such a slacker.

Will you be bringing back the green one you wore last year? That one was very lovely and I got some nice pictures. I just missed taking a picture of you posing with the creator of Dawn. Maybe this year I'll get that. ;)

Manda
06-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Will you be bringing back the green one you wore last year? That one was very lovely and I got some nice pictures. I just missed taking a picture of you posing with the creator of Dawn. Maybe this year I'll get that. ;)

No. I have waaaay too many costumes I'm bringing with me already, so I'm not bringing any old costumes. :) I still can't decide what to make for this year. I'm so indecisive.

Cynthia
07-05-2006, 03:56 AM
If I get my costume finished in time, then I'll enter. It's going to be a little complex and require lots of adhesive.

Dany
07-18-2006, 07:50 PM
DragonCon's a month and a half away, and finally a nice big chunk of news!

For those of you who don't frequent either Linsner.com or the Dawn Lookalikes LJ, this was a message from Eva Hopkins with several pieces of information, including the emcee (not Voltaire, for those wondering, but a good one nonetheless!) and the celebrity judge. Realized it hadn't been passed here yet, so if you've seen it, feel free to move on. If not, read below! :D

Hey yíall Ė since this post will make reference to the Look-a-Like contest, Iíd appreciate it if if you guys could cross-post this for me to the Look-a-Like Official Forum, lj community. & wherever else itís gotta go. Itís part information & part Linsner.com love letter to all our Goddesses, & itís looooooong.

Why, o why, is there no Dragon*Con listed in the appearances on the Linsner.com website? My gosh, are Team Linsner not doing Dragon*Con??

Inconceivable!. Joe, Eva, Zeke, Cyndee & Greg, an almost complete Team Linsner lineup, will be at Dragon Con, Sept. 1st-4th 2006, in Atlanta, GA.

Traditionally, I donít put the appearance in until after I have spoken with the showís director about the show for that year, & then when I post, I can add more details.

Well, I have had that talk with him & all is good. So now itís an official update time.

Looks like the host for this yearís Look-a-Like Contest will not be Voltaire, but the host that started it all, Anthony Daniels. Mr. Daniels is witty, urbane & charming, & as much as I will miss Voltaireís crooning during the judgeís deliberations, I think we have a great show lined up for you all this year.

For anyone who was in the very first contest & recall Mr. Daniels showing up an hour-&-a-half late, not to worry. Apparently his being on time is written right into his agreement.

The celebrity judge is a real thrill for Joe. Joe doesnít watch much TV, yísee, but the shows he likes, he really likes. This is true of Project Runway, which he got me to watch an episode of, & I will guiltily (given my usual snooty position on TV) admit was fun watching. But as anyone who knows Joe knows, his ultimately favorite television show is Mythbusters.

Thus, it gives me great pleasure to say; I believe the Celebrity Judge for this yearís Dawn Look-a-Like Contest is gonna be Tory Belecci of the Build Team from Mythbusters. 100% confirmation to follow, but Iím 98% sure thatís who it is gonna be.

This next bit is of particular importance to potential Dawn Look-a-Like contestants, so please listen up.

Last year in particular, & for a couple of years prior, various women have had technical problems with their audio presentations, mostly with the volume.

I remember with great empathy for the young lady involved, that a contestant had done a carefully blocked audio presentation, of Dawn at the gates of hell, a scene from Luciferís Halo. Poor woman kept her control (for which I clapped furiously), but I could tell it cost her great effort to not break down onstage as she mouthed words that couldnít be heard by the audience. (BTW, if she happens to be reading this, please drop me an Email, I lost your contact info!)

On that front (& let that one story serve as a representative of all the backstage issues of contests past) I have two excellent developments to report.

#1. Part of the problem with the audio at previous contests, is that folks would submit audio in various formats - CD's, DVDís, someone brought a cassette. There will be a universal audio format everyone is gonna have to adhere to. I will have word on what it is Ė CD/CD-Rom seems the obvious choice. But again, as soon as I have 100% confirmation, I will let you all know.

#2. There was a woman who was essentially running backstage last year, but she was a rookie & had just been thrown into the job last minute. I remember thinking she was pretty together & levelheaded, despite all she had to cope with, when I met her. Her name is Cat, & backstage again has an official manager. I am very pleased to see that torch passed on. I will post her Email address in our Look-a-Like page as soon as I get it from Dragon*Con.

Part of making your contest run go smoothly is up to you all. Try to make sure not to forget anything when ya pack; get backstage early so you have plenty of time to preen & be photographed; if you have technical elements to your appearance, make sure to have met with the backstage tech guys & make sure they understand your cues, etc. (More on this as I hear back from them about the proposed universal audio format, too.) This is not America's Next Top Model, also - it may be a competition, but a nasty attitude will not get you far. Get lots of sleep the night before the show; donít expect to win, so you can just enjoy it as an event & not be too disappointed; be gracious if you do win, because a Goddess is gracious. Try not to be too bitchy if you donít win, because who knows? All that attention is fun, Dawn has plenty of outfits, & next year is the 10th Anniversary of the show. You might be back.

If you ever wonder, do they appreciate my effort? We do. Please donít be insulted if we donít recall your name - @ just 35 women per contest (& some have had 60-some), 8 contests = 280 Dawns minimum. & yet, I recall vividly many of the small details of folks who have only crossed the stage that one time. Someone did a kimono last year that came damn close to placing, competition was fierce. We love you, Kimono Girl! I hope she comes back, sheís so talented. Someone else did what looked like Elven chainmail, must have taken them many months to do. I could go on all day about this oneís perfect gait, or that oneís hand-dyed turkey feather wings. If we could just judge on sheer effort, even that would be killiní us. The level of love, respect & admiration that shows a creator Ė it always blows our minds. We wish all of you could win something.

But wait! You do. We always bring some little goodie Ė a print, sometimes other merch Ė for each & every contestant. Plus, we throw an exclusive after-party (thanks Ms. Cyndee) for all the contestants & their dates. We bring you a Linsner original for second place & assorted goodies for third, plus we provide gift certificates for the other categories we came up with Ė Best Adaptation, Most Original, Most Outrageous, Best Theatrical & Best Armor. There you go. Proof positive that Linsner.com appreciates each & every one of you. We look forward to this every year. Your efforts are what make that contest so special.

Your collective ability to rise above the admitted cattiness of the first couple of years & become an actual community is almost as exciting as the show itself.

Hmmm, maybe I can talk Joe into a new category for this yearÖ

So, with that in mind, I have every reason to believe that this 9th Dawn Look-a-like Contest will be the biggest & best ever. Nine is a pretty cosmic number, after all. Please join us again for the show, so we can revel in your collective beauty with astonishment, as we always do.

I will be updating the Appearance section first, then updating the Look-a-Like Contest page right after.

Thanks for reading,

Ms, Eva & all of Team Linsner

Space Invader
07-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Sweet :D. Dragon*Con is in the bag for me, and I started on my Dawn outfit a few days ago. I've finalized that I'm doing this oufit, except in black instead of taupe:

http://www.linsner.com/gallery2.asp?i=76&c=10

Hopefully I'll have the sword as well, if I can make it in time and find a way to fit it in my suitcase, hahaha.

My armor is looking pretty sweet, if I do say so myself ;D. CHROOOOOME.

Dany
07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Sweet :D. Dragon*Con is in the bag for me, and I started on my Dawn outfit a few days ago. I've finalized that I'm doing this oufit, except in black instead of taupe:

http://www.linsner.com/gallery2.asp?i=76&c=10

Hopefully I'll have the sword as well, if I can make it in time and find a way to fit it in my suitcase, hahaha.

My armor is looking pretty sweet, if I do say so myself ;D. CHROOOOOME.

Awschweeeeeet :D Armor is a wonderful thing, it is. ;D

Myself, I just finished (other than some very minor work) one of the pieces of my outfit. The rest of it is at about 60 percent..I have some supplies I have to pick up in the next day or so that will help more.

*rubs hands together madly*

nebbie
07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I should be in the contest as well. I had planned to be in it in 2004 (the last D*C I went to), but my costume had issues at con time (chains that held it up broke, I lost weight so the suit was loose, etc) and I wasn't able to enter. :( This year I hope to have it all fixed up, though!

Space Invader
08-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey all! Quick question.

Is it essential that you do some kind of performance for the contest? Or... can you just walk on stage, kind of show your outfit off a bit, then walk off (like a walk-on entry)? If it is a walk-on thingus, do we have to bring our own music to have any audio, or does the contest provide it's own filler music?

Dany
08-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey all! Quick question.

Is it essential that you do some kind of performance for the contest? Or... can you just walk on stage, kind of show your outfit off a bit, then walk off (like a walk-on entry)? If it is a walk-on thingus, do we have to bring our own music to have any audio, or does the contest provide it's own filler music?

You can walk on. If you can pull off a nice, Goddessy walk on, even better. Music will have to be provided by you. It's been already requested that it be CD (I'm assuming CD audio as in not MP3 on CD, but I'm bringing it in both formats just in case).

Hikaruchan
09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
I just put online pictures I took behind stage at contest at http://www.icosplay.com/drag2k6/drag06p1.html

Cynthia
09-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I just put online pictures I took behind stage at contest at http://www.icosplay.com/drag2k6/drag06p1.html

Congrats, you took the best picture I've seen of me yet. :bigtu:

RedRosaleen
09-14-2006, 11:21 AM
I've always wanted to do the Dawn contest. The costumes I have seen this year were awsome. I was intimidated by them. I'm hoping to do the contest next year with my twin sister and hope to come up with something just as great as the girls this year.