PDA

View Full Version : D. Gray-Man Allen Walker costume help needed! ^_^;;

Hanabishi
05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
I have a few questions, but my main one is, where to find a wig that fits him? I'm looking everywhere and the only white wigs I'm finding are VERY long. I really don't want to spend all that money to waste all that hair, but I will if I have to. I'd just like to see some alternatives first.

Also, for the exorcist coat, what kind of material should I use? I don't mind weight, just comfort. There's some pictures below of both his hair and the coat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://www.hydeist.org/timcanpi/layout/htm/dgray/htmimages/dgray_vol01_grand.htm
http://i4.tinypic.com/10fqe82.jpg

Sorry, I'm looking for more pictures right now. If anyone on here already knows how the outfit and his hair look, tips please? Or even better, someone who's already cosplayed as him? ^^;; Thanks so much!

xdirengreyxdiex
05-22-2006, 09:39 PM
hello there ^^

My friend is going to cosplay allen as well, and I'm going to be making her wig...I think for hers I decided the best style to use would be the femme fatale in lily from amphigory.com (as seen here : http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_femme_fatale.html)
of course it would require some straightening, cutting, and styling, but I think its a nice length to start with without, like you said, wasting a bunch of hair...

as for his coat...I was thinking like a thin-ish denim maybe...but then again, I'm not a fabric expert, so you may want other suggestions about that one...>_> XDD

I hope that helps you a bit...^^

Tifa Lin
05-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi!! YAY, another D. Gray Man cosplayer...his coat is made out of suit material...

Prof Farnsworth
05-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Also, for the exorcist coat, what kind of material should I use? I don't mind weight, just comfort. There's some pictures below of both his hair and the coat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://www.hydeist.org/timcanpi/layout/htm/dgray/htmimages/dgray_vol01_grand.htm
http://i4.tinypic.com/10fqe82.jpg

Well a lot of european military uniforms in history were a thick wool, but that'd be quite uncomfortable & expensive so uh... no lol. I'd go with a cotton denim (the kind used for jackets). It's breathable and easy to work with and care for (just remember the iron). Plus, it's easier to dye, if needed. I always make an effort to avoid polyester, horribly uncomfortable as it doesn't breathe well. Even the wool suiting I used for my Alucard is cooler than polyester.

If going for even more comfort, a good cotton broadcloth (100% cotton, and I find Jo ann's broadcloths to have a better body to them) will breathe loverly ^_^ although it won't be as stiff as denim of course so you might want to add a lining. For a lining, never use acetate. That stuff is really uncomfortable...that's the reason it's really cheap lol. I'd use rayon or a thin linen.

Hope that helps. :japan:

Hanabishi
05-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Allen's hair isn't wavy though...Are there any other options : [

Hanabishi
05-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Oh no worries. I'm lining the inside with red material, something that feels silky, but not quite silk (such a pain to work with x_x;;). Weight doesn't necessarily bother me, I'm just looking for whatever material will stay the least wrinkled, so I don't have to worry about ironing it at a con XD;

(random note: I'm allergic to wool, so yay to wool not working! XD;;;)

Prof Farnsworth
05-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Weight doesn't necessarily bother me, I'm just looking for whatever material will stay the least wrinkled, so I don't have to worry about ironing it at a con XD;

Aye, and there's the rub about cotton, it does wrinkle, the thinner the worse. Broadcloth does have a tendency to wrinkle. whoo boy, you shouldave seen my Alucard frockcoat after taking a nap on the bed... 0_0 the horror.

Here's an idea of the denim selections at hancock fabrics: http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?fresh=1&searchType=advanced&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&attribute14=0&attribute15=0&attribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=denim

The thing is, colours are limited, but in this case, it's ok, cause it looks like black and white are the only main colours on his coat...right?

I couldn't tell you for sure if the 8oz would be the right thickness without feeling it, but it' a start. As for the white, that lightweight bull denim should be nice or even a simple white flannel, since you'll only need to use it to accent & cover parts that are black like the front, and the cuff (and of course the epaulette). I'd take a look at em both together to see which one matches with the black denim better. You wouldn't want it showing through.

(random note: I'm allergic to wool, so yay to wool not working! XD;;;)

Ha hah, well that rules out going the suiting route, since the better suiting materials are wool.

xdirengreyxdiex
05-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Allen's hair isn't wavy though...Are there any other options : [
yes, I do know that ^^
that is why I mentioned that the wig would need straightening, with the warm water method...that particular wig is good for styling, otherwise I wouldn't mention it..XD
but if you find something else then great ... :3

Hanabishi
05-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Oh! Forgive me, I went right over the straightening part! ^^;;

Tifa Lin
05-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Hmm...*stares at my Tifa materials*

Twill might work...my Tifa costume has is....it it's fairly light-weight and comfortable...

xdirengreyxdiex
05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Oh! Forgive me, I went right over the straightening part! ^^;;
'Tis okay ^^

Hanabishi
05-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Huh...maybe I'll go look at some samples ^_^ Thanks for the suggestion : 3

Hanabishi
06-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Hm...I was wondering something about Allen's coat. I've seen people cosplay him and their exorcist coats are either made of a twill like fabric, or a leather/pleather. Which do you think would work better? I'm looking at a picture of the leather version and it looks great, and then I'm looking at the twill/etc material version and that also looks great. I'm not sure which direction to go with it x_x;;

Prof Farnsworth
06-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Hm...I was wondering something about Allen's coat. I've seen people cosplay him and their exorcist coats are either made of a twill like fabric, or a leather/pleather. Which do you think would work better? I'm looking at a picture of the leather version and it looks great, and then I'm looking at the twill/etc material version and that also looks great. I'm not sure which direction to go with it x_x;;

heh, well I'd avoid pleather. I doubt his coat is made of it anyway and it's extremely uncomfortable. Think of how a baked potato or a fish grilled in a bag feel.

I found the perfect material for Seras's jacket and I'd recommend it here as it should work well. Gabardine, but none of the crappy polyester ones, go for rayon, preferably 100% rayon. At most places it'll only cost you about $4-5 a yard too.

If you go for twill (which is ordinarily thinner than gabardine) I suggest something rayon, tencel (basically the same as rayon and they both have a really nice drape), cotton, or linen (don't forget the iron with this one! lol A linen blend using some other cellulose fiber such as cotton or rayon will wrinkle less)

I found mine online here http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com and for almost every material you can order an 1/8th of a yard to sample.

Hope this helps ^_^

Rosieal
06-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I'd imagine that something like this would be made of gabardine, a thick material that was a cheaper substitute for wool and was used a lot on the 1940s. I don't suggest pleather/leather at all.

Hanabishi
06-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Yeah I didn't think it was a good idea either. Though it did look nice, I'm sure it killed to wear...especially since I'm going to be wearing this mostly at summer cons ;_;

Hanabishi
06-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Actually yes, that helps alot! Thanks ^^

Rosieal
07-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Just reviving an old thread here, but I believe Allen Walker himself mentioned that the material that they used for their uniforms was actually leather. x_X

Now that's a huge headache. :P

Hanabishi
07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Really? @_@ What chapter was that? I've been keeping up-to-date with D.Gray-Man and I must have missed that..

Well either way, I already bought the fabric ^^;;; It's Chinese Twill and it's working gorgeously for me.

saphie3243
06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
For the coat, the bast material is black duck (that is honestly what it is called) it's denim like and durable. also very comfortable. plus it is historically accurate for D.Gray-Man's time period for fighting gear. Hope it helped.