PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a 1st time AMA-goer!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi!
It'll be my first time going to AMA this year! (but i have been going to Animazement since 2003 and will be going this saturday, whoot!) I just have some basic questions from the vetern goers to make my expierence better.

1. It's a con center right? So, are people that don't pay for badges allowed in the center at all? I'll be going as a lone otaku, but my mom and sis will probably be tagging alone until they see fit to leave me (if someone adopts me into their group, they'll leave quicker :))

2. How is the area? City-like? Or is it like on an interstate/highway and the con. center is on an exit?

3. Hotels. Do they go quickly? Should i call and reserve? I'm also looking for the CHEAPEST hotel around. Nothing too expensive since i will be a little low on funds because animazement is this weekend o.O

4. I've already read the rules for Hall Cosplay on the site, but how is it exactly? How many people can enter?

5. I've only been to hotel cons...so how different is a con center event? I suspect it has more space, but it is so spaced out i have to walk miles to get to the panels?

6. Dealer's Room. Large? Small? Variety? Weapons' Dealer?

7. Are registration lines typically long? or should i pre. reg since it's my first time attending? Is that a hassle?

8. Game Room. Basic assortment of games like DDR and fighting games?

9. Video rooms. 24 hours? how many?

10. The people? Are you guys friendly enough for me to trek out there as a lone otaku?? LOL! I'm pretty much sure you are.

Sorry to sound like a concerned parent, but i'm presenting this to MY parent tomorrow so she will have no reason not to let me go! ^_^ Hopefully, she'll allow me and i can finally go to a convention other then Animazement! :) Thanks a lot (in advance) for anyone that helps me out.

one more question (i TRIED to leave it at 10...)
what is the appox. hours of travel from South Carolina? Not DEEP in the state because my town borders North Carolina by Lumberton NC (really, i can walk to the state line if i wanted too :)) thanks again

samt03
05-24-2006, 11:25 PM
First off this is the first time AMA will be in the convention center.

Your crime question, Iíve heard people say its in a bad crime area. Iíve walked from VCU to the convention center multiple times without a problem. I have a friend whoís walked several blocks at like 3am without a problem. It is in a city with East Broad (?) running past it. As it is kinda close to the MCV campus Iím not sure if the VCU cops go near the building or not.

The convention center is in the middle of the city, you can however get to it from a highway if you take the right exit.

I think one hotel is sold out of the AMA rate, not sure about the others, if your thinking about going you may want to make your reservations now. Pre-reg is due by the end of the month. Last year when we picked up our pre-reg there was no line, but it was early in the day.

As for friendly people, I made a great group of friends last year just sitting around talking. Most people are really easy to talk to.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-25-2006, 12:22 AM
1st year in the convention center? ok's then, so we're all wondering about that.

bad crime area? *shudders* Hopefully I won't be a potential victim of some crime. Probably no worse then columbia sc at points since it is in a city roughly the same size (maybe bigger)

samt03
05-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Like I said I've never had a problem with crime, nether have my freinds, and I've gone to school at VCU since August 2002.

My boyfreind has been there since August 2001 and he goes out really late a night. He also used to ride his bike to work, a 15 min drive, at like 12-2am and never had any issues.

My friends and I used to take walks threw the Fan at like 1am-3am for the fun of it and none of use ever got attacked or anything.

I think the crime rate is just due to certen areas, the one the con is in should be fine. I've been there at night and didn't see anything going on.

AnimatedPoison
05-25-2006, 01:08 AM
I couldn't answer everything since I've never gone to a convention at an actual convention center, but all in all, you can find most of the answers on AMA's website. Explore, explore! :D

2. How is the area? City-like? Or is it like on an interstate/highway and the con. center is on an exit?

Richmond is like any major city, and does have crime. It varies from place to place though. As long as you aren't wandering about alone at night (and why would you), you have nothing to worry about. As a side note, being a single young female makes you a target when you show up alone at the wrong place at the wrong time. There simply are no gurantees in life and some people are luckier than others! The convention center is pretty close to a highway exit.

3. Hotels

The AMA room block at the Crowne Plaza Richmond has been extended to May 26. The Marriot is sold out. There is a parking fee for the hotels and the convention center. See AMA's website for more details.

6. Dealer's Room. Large? Small? Variety? Weapons' Dealer?

See "Vendors" on AMA's website for a confirmed list. It's in a box off to the right side.

7. Are registration lines typically long?

Pre-reg is a faster line, and saves you $10. You must pre-reg by May 30th! Registration hours for the convention are listed on AMA's website.

8. Game Room. Basic assortment of games like DDR and fighting games?

Check AMA's website (Events, and click on Video Game Room and Video Game Tournaments).

9. Video rooms. 24 hours? how many?

"A full schedule will not be posted until a couple of weeks before the convention. We are a family friendly convention. Video ratings will be posted and printed for parents of younger children."

10. The people? Are you guys friendly enough for me to trek out there as a lone otaku??

Are your immunizations up to date? ;) J/K! AMA has always been a great con for me, and I've made some good friends there.

11. Approx. hours of travel from Lumberton, NC: 3 hours and 50 minutes, give or take.

elbgoku
05-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Well last years Neko con was in a convention center and it did not stay open for 24 hours which really upset me. It opened at 9 am if i remember correctly and closed at 2 am I believe. Everything was in the convention center so that meant spending 7 hrs sleeping possibly or sitting around talking. Im not sure if all convention centers have rules about closing or not..this is just my experience from the last one I went to in a con center. Also...they didnt sell any Japanese snack foods...This is what upset me the most...Chowing down on and discovering new snack foods had become a tradition of mine at cons. This will be my 4th AMA, overall its been a GREAT con. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. ^^

AnimatedPoison
05-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Well last years Neko con was in a convention center and it did not stay open for 24 hours which really upset me. It opened at 9 am if i remember correctly and closed at 2 am I believe. Everything was in the convention center so that meant spending 7 hrs sleeping possibly or sitting around talking. Im not sure if all convention centers have rules about closing or not..this is just my experience from the last one I went to in a con center. Also...they didnt sell any Japanese snack foods...This is what upset me the most...Chowing down on and discovering new snack foods had become a tradition of mine at cons. This will be my 4th AMA, overall its been a GREAT con. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. ^^

Forcing congoers to get some sleep isn't necessarily a bad thing LOL But you could go hang out at the hotel with your friends if the convention center isn't going to be open 24 hours. The convention center's website has not yet determined hours for AMA. AMA's website provides the link to the convention center's website, so check back as it gets closer to con time to find out the hours :)

Also, there's no outside food allowed at the convention center. You have to either eat at their cafe, or eat outside of the convention center. Because of this, I'm not sure if any vendors in the dealer's room will sell snacks, since we can't eat them inside the center. :\ I guess we'll find out!

elbgoku
05-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Forcing congoers to get some sleep isn't necessarily a bad thing LOL But you could go hang out at the hotel with your friends if the convention center isn't going to be open 24 hours. The convention center's website has not yet determined hours for AMA. AMA's website provides the link to the convention center's website, so check back as it gets closer to con time to find out the hours :)

Also, there's no outside food allowed at the convention center. You have to either eat at their cafe, or eat outside of the convention center. Because of this, I'm not sure if any vendors in the dealer's room will sell snacks, since we can't eat them inside the center. :\ I guess we'll find out!
haha yes..true true...sleep is a good thing, but not when you arent tired.. and I usually pick off times to sleep and shower (of course maybe thats a reason for the shut down..STENCH..JK XP) Yes, I recently looked at the convention centers site and they havent set the hours yet. And as for the selling food in the vendors room, if its like the one I previously attended there wont be any. I can understand the rules but....what if we just buy them and eat and drink them outside the con center? hehe..>_> im really beggining to miss my Japanese snacks...cons with no Pocky feel like.....IMPOSTERS...and no Ramone????...no Pucca???...actually i havent seen Pucca since the first con I went to. Oh sorry Ive started babbling and gotten off topic.

Anyway...www.richmondcenter.com theres the Convention Center's website.

^^

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-25-2006, 02:20 PM
i checked out that convention center website. it's REALLY NICE! *squeals* But, they haven't set the hours so i do expect that it will probably close at a certain time...Convention Centers are VERY different from hotels

elbgoku
05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
i checked out that convention center website. it's REALLY NICE! *squeals* But, they haven't set the hours so i do expect that it will probably close at a certain time...Convention Centers are VERY different from hotels
yea..VERY..I prefer the hotels because they are 24 hours and its not such a long walk when you want to drop off stuff in your room. Convention centers are alot more spacious. Both have their pros and cons. Regardless it should be a great time.

samt03
05-25-2006, 10:44 PM
For Japanese snacks... there is a store called Tan-A down West Broad (going toward Short Pump) that is an asian store. They sell Pocky and other sancks there. Last time I went there I think normal Pocky was like .75-$1 a box, YanYan is like $1, fancy Pocky is a little more expensive.

Tikki
05-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi!
1. It's a con center right? So, are people that don't pay for badges allowed in the center at all? I'll be going as a lone otaku, but my mom and sis will probably be tagging alone until they see fit to leave me (if someone adopts me into their group, they'll leave quicker :))

4. I've already read the rules for Hall Cosplay on the site, but how is it exactly? How many people can enter?

5. I've only been to hotel cons...so how different is a con center event? I suspect it has more space, but it is so spaced out i have to walk miles to get to the panels?

1. I'm not sure how security is working it this year but usually the convention centers at con have their own security and they're told to stop people from coming in who aren't wearing badges. The only are they let folks in is where Con Registration is. This may not be the case, but be prepared for it.

4. There is no limit on the Hall Costume entries. But we will start turning people away from the door about 10 minutes prior to the end of the slot. That way we can finish with whoever is still waiting and be able to clear the room for the next panel. There are two time slots though. Miss Friday and you better come early on Saturday.

5. We're only using a portion of the convention center and mostly the part nearest to the Marriot. It may be miles by the end of the day, but only if you don't know where your going. Or if you go elsewhere from the con.

Hope that helps!
Tikki (AMA Cosplay coordinator)

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
thanks Tikki, you helped a lot! I really don't know what to do if they don't allow my mother in for atleast a little while. She's that protective type...

Tikki
05-26-2006, 07:40 PM
They won't keep her out of the hotel, if the center has that security policy. Like I said, I'm not sure what the rules are this year. It's our first in a convention center.
Tikki

dark anbu
05-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Do i have to have costumes or one costume? for Ama?
and My anbu is on the way.

dExtrosien
05-30-2006, 08:05 PM
As long as you stay with groups you shouldn't have to worry about the crime. There is supposed to be food right around the convention center(mom and pop restaurants that might be convient). There are a number of hotels in the area so that shouldn't be too much problem. AMA is the only con I've ever been to(found it the second year) and I've always found EVERYONE to be really nice. You will find yourself talking to people when you compliment their costumes and vice versa. You should have no problem finding a group, especially with all the Naruto cosplayers that'll be around. Could your mom buy a pass for one day and attend with you until you find a group.
You don't have to have a costume, but you may wear one if you want. It's up to you.
Yeah, Tan-A is a couple of blocks from where I work and they hav great stuff. There's also a Suncoast in Willow Lawn, which is a little bit closer than the Tan-A market on Broad Street and there is some food there. I probably won't be going out to places like that more than once during the con since if you park at the Convention center and leave you'll have to pay the $6 again I believe from what I read on their site. I hope that isn't right, but that's what I understood. There is a Subway a couple of blocks up I think.

samt03
05-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Suncoast is still open? Last time I was there they were having their closing sale.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
my prob is the whole group thing, because i don't have one o.O But that's inside the con...i won't be outside, walking anywhere by my lonesome. I guess i'm safe INSIDE the con center (let's hope :)) My family will be spending their sat. elsewhere while i'm chillin' at the con

other then that: you all have been SO HELPFUL! Thanks bunches. I'm super excited about this con now. It makes me giddy thinking about it (and it helps that my costume is coming along nicely)

nachtinis
06-14-2006, 04:11 AM
Do i have to have costumes or one costume? for Ama?
and My anbu is on the way.

Costumes are optional and most folks I know wind up asking : Do I really have to wear my street clothes?

AgentOS
06-14-2006, 08:25 AM
I went to my first con alone last month (Animazement) and I had fun. You just have to make an attempt at meeting people and going to events. It takes a bit of confidence to walk up to random people or to talk to the person sitting next to you. I also just wore street clothes. I have not worn a costume in a year due to time and money working on them. You can have fun wearing anything you want.

Bagu
06-14-2006, 10:07 AM
If you see me at the con in costume come chill while I'm taking a walking break (due to heat and exhaustion) ;)

If you're in costume its easier to strike up conversations with people rather than visa versa, because they usually initiate it. I know I could never strike up a conversation with someone I don't know in civies (though I don't know why.)

ChichiriFreak
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
AMA Is only a few days away! I can't wait..lol this will also be my first time going and I'll be alone too most likely (my 2 best friends bailed out ;_; ). But it seems AMA is a friendly con so i hope i can find people to chill with while I'm there. ^_^...I just need to get over my little shyness when meeting people.

AnimatedPoison
06-14-2006, 08:08 PM
my prob is the whole group thing, because i don't have one o.O But that's inside the con...i won't be outside, walking anywhere by my lonesome. I guess i'm safe INSIDE the con center (let's hope :)) My family will be spending their sat. elsewhere while i'm chillin' at the con

other then that: you all have been SO HELPFUL! Thanks bunches. I'm super excited about this con now. It makes me giddy thinking about it (and it helps that my costume is coming along nicely)

aww don't worry, it won't be hard to find some congoers to adopt you if you need them :)

I'll be the Twilight Princess version of Link on Saturday, so if you see me come over and say hi!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok, I'll make sure to try and speak to everyone. As i said...I'll be Haseo. Here's a link to a pic of him so you get the gist of the costume. I will also probably be walking around alone, so i won't be hard to spot :)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/Kite55/HaseoArt.jpg