PDA

View Full Version : Other AWA hotels???

phantomthief
06-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Apparently the Waverly is already booked? :bigcry:

So can anyone reccomend any of the other hotels? I'm changing twice on Saturday with a rather heavy costume that drags so... As close to the Waverly or Galleria as humanly possible!

I was told that one of the hotels had a bridge connection and then a 2 minute or so walk from there to the Galleria. True or no?

~Ari-chan

Lucifer
06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Are you sure its really booked? Last time I remember if you went through the website, it would claim to be booked, but in fact wasn't. What does the awa website say? (they would tell you if its already booked, and being barely summer starting I doubt it).

Yes, there was a hotel that connected at the far end of the convention center by a bridge. I saw it when I was outside. I have no idea what the name of the hotel was however.

R-chan
06-01-2006, 11:00 AM
ah crap your right. I tried seeing availablity on the hotel's site and they are booked. ;_;
other hotels
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta

2844 Cobb Parkway SE

Atlanta, GA 30339

770-955-3900

800-325-3535

www.sheraton.com/galleriaatlanta

Reservation cutoff date: August 31, 2006.

Single / Double / Triple / Quad: $119.00/night.

Embassy Suites Hotel Atlanta Galleria

2815 Akers Mill Rd

Atlanta, GA 30339

770-984-9300

www.embassysuites.com

Reservation cutoff date: September 7, 2006.

Single: $109.00/night.

The Wingate Inn & Suites Atlanta Galleria Center

2762 Cobb Parkway SE

Atlanta, GA 30339

678-214-6000

www.wingateinns.com

Reservation cutoff date: September 10, 2006.

Single: $89.00/night.

Hampton Inn Atlanta Cumberland Mall Northwest

2775 Cumberland Parkway

Atlanta, GA 30339

770-333-6006

800-426-7866

www.hamptoninn.com

Reservation cutoff date: May 21, 2006.

Single / Double: $89.00/night.

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Galleria

2733 Circle 75 Parkway

Atlanta, GA 30339

770-955-1110

800-426-7866

www.hamptoninn.com

Reservation cutoff date: September 7, 2006.

Single / Double: $99.00/night.

Lucifer
06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Thing is the awa website says to call them directly. Last year I remember the website always said they were booked, but if you called, they were open. I'm pretty sure if they were really, absolutely booked, the website would tell you (as its happened at other cons, where the website would then tell you other places you could stay).

Can't hurt to call.

Bagu
06-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Maybe by booked they meant the con rate block in the hotel was full.

phantomthief
06-01-2006, 12:57 PM
This would be my seventh call :\

AWA booked the entire hotel and apparently all of the rooms in said block are reserved. We're on a waiting list.

Lucifer: Ah. Very good to hear. I'll ask about that one :) Thanks!

~Ari-chan

Jemmeh
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
The Sheraton is the one that connects with the 'bridge'. I stayed there. Pretty nice, but almost the exact same price as the Waverly, and it's still a decently long walk for a dragging costume because they rope off the 'quick' route. Besides, you'll want to change for the rave. <3 They had meetings or something that connected that section, and it's hard to sneak by when you're welding a giant bow or are dressed in a kimono. xD I don't reccomend it if you're just doing it to help with the costume. Unless you just don't have a car.

I stayed at a Days Inn a few minutes away and it was wayyy cheaper. But yeah, stick with Sheraton if you really just HAVE to walk or are afraid of the thugs. It's kind of a bad part of Atlanta. oo; Buddy system?

Oh. The Waverly shouldn't be booked...not this early. Uhm, did you tell them you meant a room? AWA just booked the meeting halls and stuff downstairs. It doesn't get booked til like the month before, or so I heard.

phantomthief
06-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Nah. I think it just may be genuinely booked this time. The con block was filled up.

Though, we DID manage to get a Waverly room. Apparently someone cancelled their room before we called *dance of Joy*

~Ari-chan

Jemmeh
06-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Genuinely booked? Weiirddd.
I'm on the AWA forums and they said AWA did book rooms--because they were saving it for their guests. There's a 'passcode' and you get an AWA discount or something. Maybe it's what they meant when they said AWA had rooms reserved. I've not called them yet, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. >-o

But yay luck. I'm not surprised too much with all these crazy fans. :3 Yay rabid fangirls.

kitsunered
06-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I think I'm amused that you think the Cobb Galleria area is a "bad area" of Atlanta. It's one of the least bad areas, honestly. Now, when AWA was down by the airport... that was a bad area. Fortunately the hotel was so far away from everything the convention-goers missed most of the scary parts.

Draculina
06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Jemmah (or anybody), I was just wondering...it looks like the Sheraton is where my group wants to go and we've never been there before...when you say "decently long walk", how bad is it exactly? Does it take more than, say 10-15 minutes to walk to the con and do we have to go outdoors? We don't mind hoofing it a bit, as we all have fairly un-cumbersome costumes- however, we do have a fursuit cosplayer on Saturday that we have concerns about if he has to go outdoors in the sun...

livvylove
06-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Ask to get put on the waiting list, last year I got a room at the waverly at the last minute because someone cancled.So get put on the waiting list and they will get back to you. I would book a room at the Sharaton just in case though.

phantomthief
06-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Genuinely booked? Weiirddd.
I'm on the AWA forums and they said AWA did book rooms--because they were saving it for their guests. There's a 'passcode' and you get an AWA discount or something. Maybe it's what they meant when they said AWA had rooms reserved. I've not called them yet, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. >-o

But yay luck. I'm not surprised too much with all these crazy fans. :3 Yay rabid fangirls.

Yeah I've been on the forums for over 4 years now ^.~
The entire hotel is blocked off as "event space".
Meaning, AWA booked all of the guest rooms so that only guests that mention AWA can get a room. It's just that, all of said rooms have been booked.

Or maybe it's like last year XD One minute they're booked, call again and there's a whole floor open...

~Ari-chan

RyeCrimsonMoon
06-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Oh man, I hope its like that o_o Now I'm getting a little panicy and feel like we gotta make the arrangements soon...

But does anyone know how close all those hotels are? I don't really wanna be driving or walking a lot ._.;

Jemmeh
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Atlanta is a pretty ghetto city if you ask me anyways. (Ahaha, I have such pride in my state's capital. 8D)

Yeah, it's not horrible compared to some parts of Atlanta, but it's not like...happy suburbs. My dad works in Atlanta and spends a good bitchfesting 15 minutes yapping about how the Cobb Galleria is a bad part of town. 8D Uhh...I unno. They tell you to pair up with people anyways, though why anyone wouuld expect an anime fan to have money is beyond me.

Uh. Lets see...hotel specs and stuff. = Mapquuest.

However the Sheraton is closest and the rest really do require having a car, cause there's a huge road and you will go squish. :D Atlanta drivers are bitches.

The Sheraton is connected to like...the other side of the Galleria by a walking bridge thing, and it's covered. There are meeting halls right where it connects to, and you can go through there during the day time, but they started closing it off to us later. Only the old guys in buisness suits got by. We stopped going in that way and walked around. You just kind of walk around to the other side of the building, and it takes like 5-10 minutes longer that way. Plenty of people do it, so I think you'll be fine. But you do a lot of walking and stairs at AWA anyways, cause those elevators. x3 Oh, you'll see how full those are. Good way to meet people though... stairs are fasta when it really gets busy.

I saw a few people dressed up in fursuits and big giant heavy things. Just give him a bottle of water and he should be fine. o-o

You don't want to have to go back and forth to the Sheraton too much, because there are stairs all over the place, but it's doable. I was walking back the last day and it took me like 20 minutes, feet sore and all, and resisting urges to run back to the pocky. 8D And I have short asian people legs. :/

nebbie
06-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I just managed to reserve online (using the passkey link, the hotel's site said it was full), but all that was left was Friday night and Saturday night. I'll just have to stay somewhere else Thursday night, or just head up on Friday morning and check in later that day. Arrgh. >:|

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-10-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm worried about hotels as well...and if the city IS as bad as media portrays it. I remember going way back in the day when i was young and it didn't seem all that bad. All cities have their rough points...even small towns such as the one i live in have places u don't wanna be walking at night...

it looks like i WON'T be having a place to stay now that everything is booked! I won't even know if i am officially going till August o.O so now i am really worried!

nebbie
06-11-2006, 12:12 AM
No...where the convention is held it really isn't that bad of a part of town. I walked around at night from con to hotel with my friends and felt fine.

Now College Park...that was a bad area, lol.

Jemmeh
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah. If you're with other people it's fine.
Besides, what's mostly there is the mall and the hotels around it because that hotel holds a lot of conventions and meetings.

Another thing to keep in mind is food. Though the waffle house is good. >3

nebbie
06-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Food isn't an issue, since there's that little mall with a foodcourt inside the Galleria Centre. In the night time, though, that's closed...but there are tons of restaraunts around the convention. One restaraunt that's a must--The Marrieta Diner! OMG soooo good!

DarkKefka
06-13-2006, 08:10 PM
20 minute drive. Who needs a hotel? But I might try to get one.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Whew! Thank gawd for friends that are willing to handle the hotel situation. Now, I just gotta sit back and wait for details from them. :)