PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go to get that last detail right?

Mei Lan Chang
08-04-2002, 05:06 PM
There are costumes, and then there are COSTUMES!

But what my question is, is how far have you gone to get a detail perfect on a costume? For my Mononke Hime costumes I made her fur cape out of faux fur, and it kept shedding and just didn't look right. So I sold my soul for some cash for just enough to buy a real sheep skin. I may be dirt poor now, but at least I got the costume looking just how I wanted it. :p

pookie-kun
08-04-2002, 05:14 PM
I agree.. there are costume,s then there are COSTUMES.

Point in case.. my friend diedie who spent 3 months hand embroidering a design on her black kimono for her Kyo cosplay O_O

scandia
08-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Well, I bought some real pearl earrings for my Emeraude costume. Although these can be worn with civilian clothes (and I have) plus I needed new ones. And I got real lilies for the costume as well- artificial flowers would just not be in the spirit of the character. They looked and smelled great.

Ayaka
08-04-2002, 07:20 PM
As far as I can and still afford it, I'd say. At the moment though, I'm more of a quantity person, so even though I'm a perfectionist I've not spent absurd amounts of time on any one costume. I'm sure that will happen in the future. I'm already planning for Katsucon as well as for AX 2003 so those costumes are going to have a lot of effort in them. Though I did do Faye Valentine in stretch PVC since on the basis of how it's shaded it's definitely that type of material, that cost and took a lot of time. That stuff is not easy to work with, and it's not very comfy either . . . Oo;;;;

Tenshi
08-04-2002, 07:39 PM
I've gone through the most fuss with my Pretear costume.

-- The wig. . .or should I say wigs? I ordered the perfectly styled wig online. . .but it slowly dawned on me it wasn't going to arrive in time ;_;. So I went out and found the cheapest wig possible. That meant it was in horrible condition and slightly too dark. Of course, it ended up not working >.<.

-- The skirt, which defies gravity to such an extent it puts Sakura to shame. I first tried layers of tulle. Didn't work. Then I tried two skirts with tulle. Nope. So then I bought a square-dancing petticoat. Still not poofy enough. The last thing I did was put some strong wire in the hem of the second skirt. It's not as poofy as I would like, but it looks decent. I think before I wear it again I'll put a longer wire in ^_^.

I went through other various stages of insanity with that costume, but this is long enough already :P.

Yggdrasil Pie
08-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Wai...how I tried to get a costume to be perfect perfect!!! It's too bad that I'm always low on cash... -_-

Jinx
08-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Again, my Honey costume was the most diffuly and detailed...

I searched for other Honey cosplayers, and only encountered Japanese ones, who looked like they used PVC for their dresses... but I just went with the bridal satin. ^-^;;

But I did sew macrome rings on my dress and apron... unfortunately, I didn't have time to sewn them into the skirt, but I guess that's far enough.. o.o;;

I like to try and get as close as possible... especially with my next few costumes.. and now, I'm totally against bleaching and dying my hair (went through a terrible spell of losing a lot of it o.o;;) so any costumes that require colored hair, I'll just have to buy a wig.. -_-

NeoDrifter
08-04-2002, 10:36 PM
I went to a surplus store for my RE costume and walked away broke........bought a vest.......helmet.........pistol belt.........replica BB gun........holster..........ETC........man I love the stuff but impacted my wallet pretty good....also it was worth it

LiL QoH
08-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Im still working on my lulu costume. Now that I have a digitizer for my embroidry machine..out with the old and in with the new.. so I'm going ot start all over with the embroidry..I had it half done but now its going to be EXACT woohoo! As for her fur I wouldnt settle for faux fur so I bought a coyote pelt on ebay..yes the WHOLE body and had to cut it up.. I'm remaking all the accessories and hair pins as well because I'm not happy with them I'll never finish this costume if I keep nit picking lol

Yukai
08-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Lil QoH I totally agree. I keep re-making my Lulu costume also. I am remaking the hairsticks and putting some extra boneing(sp?) in the corset because it just didnt feel right. I am also hating myself for forgetting to buy some fake hair to make some bangs with... >.< I completely forgot because I was checking the bun and sticks and making sure the fur looked right. I really like my faux fur. It's the best I could do considering I am allergic to real fur (unless it's my dog and I wasn't willing to sacrafice him!)

I also made a good bunch of the belts on my dress...sewing belt leather is NOT fun. I even went as far as to buy a gold ring to match hers. Than almost had a cow because I couldn't find it a little later. A $400.00 ring that I will only wear with that costume. I think I need to learn to like gold for that price tag. Not to mention I bought a bolt of lace and cut it all out and dyed it. It was over 400 pieces that I cut out to have different patterns to choose from. >.< So it doesn't match exactly, but it is pretty and I put 9 1/2 hours into it, but I feel the need to rip it off and re-make it. At least I had a paturn to go off of with the dress. A prom dress and a corset that I already owned. It was a bit harder with my human Luna dress.

The dress itself was pretty easy, just make points on the bottom, the hard part was adding the mesh like stuff to it without sewing it just to the bottom so that the stitches would show through, and not making it the full dress length because it would be itchy. But I got it done.

scandia
08-05-2002, 06:41 AM
And I thought I was gunna overdo it by buying a real diamond and gold solitaire ring for my Princess Bride Emeraude costume (but I saw one I loved for less than 200 dollars).

cough FUR BELONGS ON LIVE ANIMALS cough. Good place to draw the line. I am not gunna start a debate, but live coyotes are more fun because you can howl them.

shiroi_yukiko
08-05-2002, 10:20 AM
90% of the costumes I've made are vinyl (damn you, Angel Sanctuary!!!!). I wanted insane detail on all of them, which required HANDSEWING. Those who have worked with vinyl know that handsewing and vinyl do NOT go together... and yet... I still do it!