PDA

View Full Version : Help us help you, good read b4 posting questions.

staereo
06-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi there! Welcome to the photography forums. I am not a moderator in any way, but I am a regular voice here in this section.

We shutter bugs love to help people with issues they are having, and we like to be as complete as possible. One of the main problems that we run across when trying to answer people's questions is that inquirers often forget to include information.

What usually happens is someone posts a fairly general, open ended question, and people that come to help end up just asking questions back. We do this because we don't want to give out bad advice, and it is often tough to answer a question properly when the question and information in the question is vague or incomplete.

Heres an example:

Is my camera good? I have a Whazisnap dcs52.

Problems with this question:

We don't know how long youve been involved in photography.
We don't know what you plan to use the camera for.
We don't know what features are important to you.
We don't know what your price range was.
We don't know what cameras you are comparing it to.
etc...etc...

The idea here is to be a specific as possible. If asking about a technique or a problem with the output of your images. (color, focus, fuzziness, noise, etc) Then include information like, the brand, the settings youre set to (auto, for example), what software youre using to view the images. The environment the photo was taken, and for heavens sake, include an example photo (or a few) when you can.

Photography has very subtle differences which can cause outputs to go wrong in similar fashions. The best way we can help you is to include ALL of the information you can think of about your situation.

You can't go too involved, and it does take us time to type up responses and help out, so it would be most beneficial and speedy for you to take time to type up complete questions.

This makes everyone's job easier. And we can do what we love to do, and thats help you. :bigtu:

Bruce

Oklahoma
06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey Ziggy or another mod would you mind stickying this. It is good information and I don't want it to drop out of view.

Eriol
06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
There is a sticky post called "in need of a digi cam..." Maybe this stuff can be merged into that?