PDA

View Full Version : Fabrication Contest

The_Balrog
06-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Hey was wondering how many cosplay members are planning on entering the fabrication contest at Dragon Con? So who's in?

Dany
06-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Entering no, but I plan to be there and helping in a different capacity.

Not sure what I am going to -wear- for it still...but my thought was to pull out my Witch Hunter Robin, as she's comfy. :)

halafax
06-08-2006, 11:37 AM
could you give me a link to that particular contest? I missed that, me and my gf could rock the cats box on that. My death hauler is testiment to our skills.

kitsunered
06-08-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm competing in it. I was originally supposed to do Katrina's New York Arrival Gown from Sleepy Hollow, but I'm having difficulty locating the pattern I wanted to use for it. If I can't get it in time, I have a backup costume that I'll enter instead.

I already have the fabric for Katrina though. It's just the pattern I'm missing. :(

halafax
06-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I looked on dragon con's web page, someone want to point me in the right direction here?

crimsonvision
06-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Halafax, here is the link to the contest's information page: http://fabricationsdc.tripod.com/index.htm

I haven't decided if I will be in it yet; I think so but that means a new costume! Eek! lol!

halafax
06-08-2006, 12:49 PM
thank you crison vision. Let me take a look see and i can tell you whether Ill be in this or not....

Im gonna go for it, Im entering Grave and the Death Hauler.

Hikaruchan
06-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I am thinking about it, it probably will depend on if I have time to get a really nice new costume together or not.

vampirate
06-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I've been thinking of trying to get my boyfriend into it. I've been having second thought's though. It's not the craziest costume, but regardless a lot of work has gone into it. And it's a lot of black, which would just all blend together on stage. Plus I'll probably have to order two parts of it instead of making them. But I did accomplish making a fiberlgass mask for it. I'm also not sure how entering someone besides yourself in a costume you made for them goes. *shrug* I don't know, but I'm not entering the Dawn contest any more so I'd like to do something.

KNIVES5991
06-09-2006, 05:17 PM
not sure. how do you register?

DalaiLiam
06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
I do believe Lord Canti and I will show up for that.

Visual_Kei101
06-09-2006, 06:39 PM
I will be entering this with my Mervellies Gackt Outfit. <3

kitsunered
06-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Last I checked, they were toying around with online registration plus onsite registration at the convention, but I haven't heard anything recently. I'm assuming they'll keep the website updated for when the registration information is released. I'm going to have to be there from the moment the convention starts, so either would be fine for me.

I did manage to finally get ahold of the pattern I need, however, so it looks like Katrina's a go for the contest.

AshleyV
06-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I think that I might be able to make this contest. It would mean a quick change from my DOA outfit but that will be easy.

halafax
06-14-2006, 04:41 PM
So when is the online registration going to be available? or have they not said?

Dany
06-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I haven't seen anything -yet- regarding online registration. However, the Costuming Track has a website, and I think there is someone on there you can email to see when it will be available.

halafax
06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
costuming track? on dragon con's web page?

Dany
06-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Try here:

http://www.dccostumetrack.com/

halafax
06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks

Space Invader
06-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Hmmm. I do believe I will enter this with my Jane costume :).

crimsonvision
06-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Hmmm. I do believe I will enter this with my Jane costume :).

You might wanna check with the judges on that; I noticed that you won Best in Show at A-kon for it (and rightly so; it looks GORGEOUS!) and there is a rule against entering previous award winning costumes:

"Entries should be costumes that have not won an award at a convention larger than DragonCon. This includes costumes that won Best in Show or Workmanship awards in any division from Masquerades or Costume/Clothing competitions at Comicon, CostumeCon, WorldCon, NASFIC, SCA Kingdom A&S, and similar competitions."

I'm not sure how big A-kon is these days but I know its really big! Regardless; I look forward to seeing it at DC; a friend recently introduced me to Trinity Blood and I want to do a Mary costume! ;)

reannaremick
06-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, I'll definitely plan to enter this, thought what with I have no idea yet, lol. Still it's nice that they finally have something OTHER than the Masquerade >.<;;

crimsonvision
06-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Hmmm, I'll definitely plan to enter this, thought what with I have no idea yet, lol. Still it's nice that they finally have something OTHER than the Masquerade >.<;;

Well they still have the Star Wars costume comp on Saturday as well as the Dawn contest saturday night; a little more specific but still good competitoins!

reannaremick
06-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Well they still have the Star Wars costume comp on Saturday as well as the Dawn contest saturday night; a little more specific but still good competitoins!

True, there are the sub-genres, I run the Firefly/Serenity costume contest, so I know, hehee. But I'm really looking forward to this new contest, hopefully it will be as good as it sounds on the website!

Space Invader
06-21-2006, 05:07 PM
You might wanna check with the judges on that; I noticed that you won Best in Show at A-kon for it (and rightly so; it looks GORGEOUS!) and there is a rule against entering previous award winning costumes:

"Entries should be costumes that have not won an award at a convention larger than DragonCon. This includes costumes that won Best in Show or Workmanship awards in any division from Masquerades or Costume/Clothing competitions at Comicon, CostumeCon, WorldCon, NASFIC, SCA Kingdom A&S, and similar competitions."

I'm not sure how big A-kon is these days but I know its really big! Regardless; I look forward to seeing it at DC; a friend recently introduced me to Trinity Blood and I want to do a Mary costume! ;)

Ahhh ok, I'll check on that. I know A-Kon is far from being ICG-sanctioned (in fact, when brought to their attention, the cosplay coordinator and judges pretty vhemently rejected said idea). If Jane won't be allowed, perhaps I will have time to finish up Mirka Fortuna for it :).

And DUDE. You'd make an awesome Mary. Go for it!

saphire_angel
06-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Oh this sounds like soo much fun! I'll probably enter it but I have yet to find out if I am capable of creating a worth-anything costume. I made a set of wings that look fabulous though. I'm such a novice!

Dany
06-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Ahhh ok, I'll check on that. I know A-Kon is far from being ICG-sanctioned (in fact, when brought to their attention, the cosplay coordinator and judges pretty vhemently rejected said idea). If Jane won't be allowed, perhaps I will have time to finish up Mirka Fortuna for it :).

I -think- A-Kon is still considered somewhat regional, and it appears that the rule runs for some of the bigger awards at more 'national-level' competitions. I'm looking at the list they're showing and they are either very large in size or in reputation (and in some cases both).

WIth that in mind, your entry would probably be OK. But in either case, getting the OK from the MD now is better than getting told no later :)

crimsonvision
06-21-2006, 06:55 PM

And DUDE. You'd make an awesome Mary. Go for it!

Having only been to A-Kon once and never to the Masq and only seeing pics of the crazy good costumes *points to your gallery* ;) I wasn't sure if it fell into that category. :)

I was thinking about entering a costume that I entered into the Masq AT dragoncon a few years ago (and what I normally wear on Friday nights at Dcon!) but reading more into the rules *that* is definately not allowed! :(

Thanks on thinking I would make a good Mary! If I had found out about herr earlier in the year she would have been on my 'costume schedule' but it was already full when my friend showed me!

Heh, she would be my first real Anime cosplay! :o

AuroraCeleste
06-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Ouch, let's see if I can get to all this. I'm numbering to organize my brain:

1. Entry forms will **cross fingers** be up this weekend. I was supposed to get them up on the 15th, but something came up. I'll be sure and post an announcement in this thread when it's available.

2. I'm thinking the A-Kon win is probably not disqualifying, but email me, either at auroraceleste (at) gmail.com or fabricationsdc (at) gmail.com and I'll get a final ruling after getting some more info on the con.

3. The ICG sanction has nothing to do with allowed costumes. FABRICATIONS is not an ICG sanctioned event either. The rule is in place so that someone doesn't try to enter a costume that's already won something fabulous. If you're that good then you should be able to make another just-as-fabulous costume!

4. I don't know where the idea of no past costumes came from, CrimsonVision, so if you can point me to where it says that, I'll have it changed (I'm sure you know how to get ahold of me). The point of no winning costumes is to emphasize the costume aspect and reward merit. Masquerade costumes from Dragon*Con are especially allowed and encouraged, even from past years, because the D*C masque concentrates so much on Show, and not fabrication (thus the name). You can enter a costume in both the Masque and the FAB contest, or you can enter a costume in the FAB that is from a prior Masque. This lets people enter something amazing from last year that they did not want to reveal before the Masque (so they still have that *wow* factor that's incredibly important in the Masque, and the great craftsmanship for the FAB).

Hmm, makes sense? If not, let me know. I prowl here often, except the last two weeks :bigtu:

crimsonvision
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
4. I don't know where the idea of no past costumes came from, CrimsonVision, so if you can point me to where it says that, I'll have it changed (I'm sure you know how to get ahold of me). The point of no winning costumes is to emphasize the costume aspect and reward merit. Masquerade costumes from Dragon*Con are especially allowed and encouraged, even from past years, because the D*C masque concentrates so much on Show, and not fabrication (thus the name). You can enter a costume in both the Masque and the FAB contest, or you can enter a costume in the FAB that is from a prior Masque. This lets people enter something amazing from last year that they did not want to reveal before the Masque (so they still have that *wow* factor that's incredibly important in the Masque, and the great craftsmanship for the FAB).

Copying directly form the rules page ( http://fabricationsdc.tripod.com/fabricationsrules.htm )

"It is okay to enter both the Masquerade and the FABRICATIONS contest in the same year with the same costume because they will judge different things. FABRICATIONS only judges your work on the costume and how well it is made, and Masquerade concentrates on the look of the costume onstage and your preformance in it. This rule only applies in the same year, however, costumes may not be entered in FABRICATIONS if they were in the Dragon Con Masquerade or the FABRICATIONS contest in the previous year. This ensures that the contests every year will be full of new costumes every year for the enjoyment of the judges and the audience."

AuroraCeleste
06-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Ack, if I remember right, that should read:

costumes may not be entered in FABRICATIONS if they were in the Dragon Con Masquerade (this year), or the FABRICATIONS contest in the previous year.

But I'm gonna get a clarification anyway. Stay Tuned!

crimsonvision
06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
"costumes may not be entered in FABRICATIONS if they were in the Dragon Con Masquerade (this year), or the FABRICATIONS contest in the previous year."

On the Masquerade part; the Fabrications contest is on friday and the Masq is on Sunday so that wouldn't be possible, right?

Looking forward to clarification! :)

AuroraCeleste
06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Okay, got clarification on that rule. Here is what the wording will be when I update the website in a few minutes:

For winners this rule only applies in the same year. Costumes may not be entered in FABRICATIONS if they won an award in the Dragon Con Masquerade or the FABRICATIONS contest in any previous years.

It is also allowable to enter the same costume in the Masquerade on Sunday and the FABRICATIONS contest on Friday of the same year, no matter if the costume wins grand prize in FABRICATIONS.

Space Invader
06-27-2006, 12:13 AM
AuroraCeleste-

My email client is being kind of wonky at the moment, but if you could find out about if costumes that won at A-Kon are allowed, that would be great :).

AuroraCeleste
07-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Yes, it will be allowed. My research said that A-Kon is huge, but still 15,000 or so short of Dragon Con.

In other news: There is an entry form available for the contest!

http://fabricationsdc.tripod.com/entry.htm

The online registration is still giving me programming problems, but the printable registration is online, and it is acceptable to submit the printable registration by copying and pasting it into an email and filling in the required spaces. Emails should be submitted to fabricationsdc@gmail.com .

:skidude2:

Space Invader
07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Sooo... we must have a photo of the outfit completed to enter? Or can it be something like a progress shot, or even a reference picture? I'm a little confused... because I'll be entering Jane in the anime track contest, I might enter the CanCan girl dress that's currently in the works in this.

Thanks for finding out about the A-Kon thing for me :D. That helps a lot!

AuroraCeleste
07-03-2006, 09:59 PM
No, the submitted photo must be a reference picture. Or, alternatively, you can submit a costume rendering or text description of the costume. This helps the judges match up what you've done with what you wanted to do. If you're used to the term documentation, that's what we're looking for.

Lady Skywalker
07-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm going to join once my Pamde battle outfit is finished. It's 95% done, then I'll take a pic with which to register.

crimsonvision
07-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Any ideas on when exactly you will start accepting entry forms in the costuming track room? Submitting in person is most likely the route I'm going to have to take.

Lady Skywalker
07-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Yay! I just registered! It will be my first contest.

Space Invader
07-11-2006, 09:45 PM
One more question. Is there a limit on the number of entry slots, or is it that everyone who signs up gets into it?

AuroraCeleste
07-11-2006, 10:41 PM
CrimsonVision, I'll get back to you on that after staff meeting this weekend. If I don't remember, poke me.

Space Invader, right now we have no plans to limit the number of entrants. If we get up to an insane number of entries, though, we'll consider it, but I will give plenty of warning here. Since this is a new contest we're really not anticipating that. Our contest last year had 1 entry in workmanship, and I think 12 in the NC-17, so we're more worried about having enough :D

halafax
07-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Im confused on the application. Maybe Im slow, Ive been told that. But what do they mean by documentation? Description I think I get, but any help would be much appreciated...

Dany
07-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Im confused on the application. Maybe Im slow, Ive been told that. But what do they mean by documentation? Description I think I get, but any help would be much appreciated...

Basically, you want to bring references to what you were working from, especially if it's a recreation of something that exists. This can usually be pictures of the character that you referred to, but can also expand to draft sketches if something is an original.

More or less, they want to see how you got to your end result. :)

halafax
07-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I see, well that makes sense, Ill include shots of the character and equpiment....and for description they want how I made it? or what we used? or just what it is? As in what Im entering? costume, prop, the whole nine yards?

crimsonvision
07-19-2006, 02:52 PM
I see, well that makes sense, Ill include shots of the character and equpiment....and for description they want how I made it? or what we used? or just what it is? As in what Im entering? costume, prop, the whole nine yards?

The whole nine yards. ;)

halafax
07-19-2006, 03:35 PM
*gets out measuring tape* ok I get do that. Thanks for the input cant wait to see you guys there....

halafax
08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Do we get anything telling us we have been accepted in the contest or anything? or do we show up?

Dany
08-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Do we get anything telling us we have been accepted in the contest or anything? or do we show up?

My guess is that since this is a new event, things are not going to max out, and that you should be able to just show up at the appointed time.

However, keep an eye out as there might be some sort of check-in that you might have to visit on-site to fill out paperwork.

halafax
08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
*writees that down with everythign else he has to do that day....but OMG this will be cool....

AuroraCeleste
08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
You should receive an email when you send in your application telling you when and where to show up. It might take 24-48 hours though, because it's not sent until someone checks your application in person and makes sure the email didn't gak it up so we can't read it. If you've waited longer than that, let me know and I'll check up on your app.

crimsonvision
08-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Question for you AC; is there a reason that we need to register in advance? I mean are the judges going to be reviewing the documentation before the actual contest or will they be going over it with the entrant when the costume is in front of them?

halafax
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I havent recieved a confirmation email at all. I applied with the email addy koalmcdaniles@yahoo.com

If not that try thedarkwanderer@hotmail.com

if you need more info let me know.

Please let me know. I printed out the application after I submitted it. If it didnt go through Ill reapply.

Thanks lots

Halafax

You should receive an email when you send in your application telling you when and where to show up. It might take 24-48 hours though, because it's not sent until someone checks your application in person and makes sure the email didn't gak it up so we can't read it. If you've waited longer than that, let me know and I'll check up on your app.

AuroraCeleste
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
The main reason for advance registrations was to prove to organizers that there is a demand for the contest and there will be sufficient entries to get a room bigger than a track room. For contestants, the only reason is ease of entry. There is no limit to the number of entries, so getting in before the deadline is the only thought for contestants.

Halafax, I'll check on that and email you back. Please email me at auroraceleste@gmail.com.

crimsonvision
08-08-2006, 10:44 AM
There is no limit to the number of entries, so getting in before the deadline is the only thought for contestants.

When is the deadline for entries?

EDIT: Nevermind; I found it on the handy-dandy site. :)

"When you get to the convention you should find the FABRICATIONS Contestant List. This list will be available at either Registration, the Con Contests table, or the Costuming Track Room (the list will only be in one place, we will update you as soon as the final location is determined in August). Find this list and have the maintainer check off your name to ensure your spot in the contest. Last-minute entrants will also be allowed to fill out an entry form at the same location until 5:30 Friday night"

crimsonvision
08-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Another question on this contest. When we are speaking to the judges are we going to have to do so in front of all the other contestants? Or is there a seperate room to speak to them in? I'm ok with talking to a small group of judges but will be really uncomfortable if I have to do so in front of all the entrants.

Me = bad public speaker ;)

AuroraCeleste
08-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Online entry confirmation emails should go out today, so if you don't get one email me at fabricationsdc@gmail.com.

CrimsonVision, the judging will hopefully be in a room alone, but if not, it will be in a corner. The people paying attention will be the judges, you won't be expected to address the entire group. When you're not being judged you can prep your costume, chat with friends, or whatever you want to do that's not disruptive to everyone else :rockon: Also, you don't have to prepare a speech or anything, the judges will ask leading questions, but I recommend preparing an index card of *highlights* - things you'll feel sorry if you don't say. I always forget something when I'm being judged unless I do this.

NausicaaBlue
08-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Okay, overly blunt question perhaps, but what are the prizes for winning, besides the amazing honor? A trophy, any moolah (to put towards the next costume of course), a wimpy certificate? :toothy:

AuroraCeleste
08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
There will probably be some certificate-only awards as well, but right now we have cash for at least 3 awards, and some really nifty costumer-lovin' non-cash prizes for category awards. More will be announced at the con, because prizes are getting donated every day (seriously, some cash came just last week :D).

:angel:

The_Balrog
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
OK well I emailed and posted about the email we were all suppose to recieve around the 25th. Still haven't heard anything. I know things are changing and such but I don't want to miss out. I'm leaving for con tomorrow so today is kinda like the last day to find out where to sign in and so on.

Also should be bring anything with us like sketches or anything?

Thanks and sorry for sounding a little stressed but I hadn't planned on the early departure so I lost a day of prep work. *returns to packing and cleaning*

AuroraCeleste
08-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Ack, I totally understand. This is my last post here as well, so anyone with further questions should look me up at the con. I'll be in the costuming track room almost constantly, and I'm real friendly!

Balrog - meet me in the costuming track room sometime before 6:00 pm, not in your costume, and I'll get you the required information. I believe the time to be dressed and in the green room is 6:00 pm. I know the show is in the Centennial in the Hyatt, where the Masquerade has traditionally been, and the green room is the same as well.

The_Balrog
08-30-2006, 07:31 PM
AuroraCeleste - Ok I'll find you at the costume track room. Thanks so much. *hugs*

To everyone else, Can't wait to see ya and meet ya. Safe travels to all! *hugs*

Space Invader
09-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know if there's a website that has the nice backstage photos on it? I know the judges took some against a wall for judging, but when we went into the little "studio" area... yeah.

Any info on this, both for the FABRICATIONS contest and / or the main masquerade?

AuroraCeleste
10-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Those were the official D*C photographers taking pictures for the official D*C galleries. Keep a watch on the D*C webpage for a post about them being up. Some years they're up in November, others they're not up until April, so it's really just a case of watching and waiting.

halafax
10-14-2006, 04:28 PM
any reason the contest didnt have a prop catagory?

AuroraCeleste
10-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Because we were told to keep the categories simple, and this first year DragonCon wanted all the awards delineated ahead of time instead of letting the judges award whatever seemed good. I don't know if they will change this year or not. If you want to suggest it email the costuming track director, his email is linked off of the DC webpage. I can't transfer your requests anymore because I won't be involved with the track next year due to some things that happened this year.

halafax
10-19-2006, 11:48 AM
I dont think I will enter the contest this year coming up. The judges being rude to me didnt help. The costume is a whole, prop and what you are wearing. I spent two hours trying to come up with all the details for my costume. Then I get told to hurry up and explain the costume not the prop. I told them the prop is part of the costume. The judges were less than proffessional. I wont be treated like I did something wrong because they were taking too long and thought it ok to rush out the last few ppl.

Though auroracelest is was good to meet you for all that five seconds.

PhoenixGate
10-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Will this contest be on for D*C 2007? I love the idea behind this contest. I started to not do the masqurades because they became all about comedy and not about craftsmanship so much. Most of the characters I cosplay are also not very funny characters. I will definately be entering this as Abel Knightroad from Trinity Blood. Since I will be documenting the progress of this costume, this will be wonderful.