PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Metal

Yukai
08-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Anyone know a place to get a large sheet of metal that isn't paper thin? I'm making some wings out of them (yes sheet metal wings..~.~) But I live in no where and am currently depending on someone else to get me places, so not much shopping for me. *~kicks her car~* Thanks!

NeoDrifter
08-04-2002, 10:23 PM
if you find out, tell me too please, making Jin-Roh and Gundam Costume......I want full metal

Yukai
08-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Hehe, ok I promise I will! =^.^=

NeoDrifter
08-04-2002, 10:29 PM
arrigato....you have my gratitude (.......I think that's how its said)

Cynthia
08-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Neodrifter: Try one less r.

Yukai: Have you tried your local Lowes or Home Depot? I'm not absolutely certain that they'll have exactly what you want, but it's worth a try.

NeoDrifter
08-04-2002, 10:55 PM
thanks for the tip! like this right: arigato?
-I went to Home Depot but they only have sheet metal last time I checked, I can go back and check tomorrow......I shall report back tomorrow!

Yukai
08-04-2002, 10:59 PM
I haven't found anything that is what I want yet, I need it to be about 5ft high and 3ft or so wide and I want to try and keep them from being to heavy. I really need to stop with the wings though because I am tearing apart my feather wings and making a larger more elaborate pair. Thanks for the help though, I will see if I can check again sometime.

Foxwolfe
08-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Hey neo, what makes you think the jin roh armors are metal? Im just curious because the thought never came to me that they were.

Um as far as finding sheet metal my best guess if you cant find it at any local places, would be online, and get something shipped to you.

Yukai
08-04-2002, 11:50 PM
that's a great idea! I think I lost my brain today, really....or may be I lost it 17 years ago....Thanks for the idea.

NeoDrifter
08-05-2002, 12:08 AM
well I watched the Jin-Roh film and I noticed he was taking .45 from a MP-44 and also when he was at training they were using simulation bullets in a MG-44 and he was in a freaking explosion after that guyn shot that rocket off, and when he cornered his friend he was shot at with a mysterious bullet that richoched of his shoulder pad, so I am assuming he had armor on

Foxwolfe
08-05-2002, 01:12 AM
Well I was just thinking that there are plenty of harder/stronger than metal type of synthetics, like plastic metal mixes or whatever.

NeoDrifter
08-05-2002, 01:30 AM
well I like realism, so I'm gonna get actual metal or get it custom made from a blacksmith for the shoulder pads and armor

Foxwolfe
08-05-2002, 01:41 AM
Heh but again I ask what makes you think that it was for sure supposed to be metal in the moive, if your going for realism using metal might not be as real as you think.

NeoDrifter
08-05-2002, 01:46 AM
I guess so, but whatever that armor was, it cannot exist in modern day because it'd be pricy. Metal cannot do that only a certain alloy can deflect bullets like that

Ayaka
08-05-2002, 02:16 AM
Ano . . . A) it would be hard to pull off in metal and have it look decent; B) It would be heavy; B) Okay, I just got out my artbook . . . I don't know, but the way it's shaded, it doesn't look like it's supposed to be metal. Although given the era of the cars, the high-impact police armor stuff wouldn't have been around, I suppose. But I think overall you'd be way better off with plastic. Next time you're at a con, chances are the big Jin-Roh group will be there. I believe they did it in thermoplastics. If you were nice, maybe they'd help you out.

NeoDrifter
08-05-2002, 12:13 PM
hmm.......guess I'll ask

Kusanagi
08-05-2002, 03:35 PM
NANI??

Metal wings = BAD!

This year at Comic-Con International I went as Dart from Legend of Dragoon. I had wings made from cloth and PVC. Those tweeked my back. I'm still sore.

But the original plans called for sheet metal wings. ONE wing weighed more than the ENTIRE PVC wings/harness assembly.

If you must use sheet metal, use it for armor and not wings. You want to make sure that the sheet metal is as close to your center of gravity as possible or you will be a hurting unit.

And I've also cosplayed at halloween as Gundam Heavyarms and Gundam Heavyarms custom.

My advice: If you don't need the sheet metal to bend, go down to the local lumber yard and pick up a sheet(4ft by 8ft) or two of 1/8th inch mohagony. Easy to cut with a scroller saw, coping saw, ect.

Here (http://www.cosplay.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=557&si=&thumb=1&page=5&sort=2&perpage=16&user=&stype=1) were the pictures of my wings. (Halfway down the page, big green wings) Is this the scale you were talking about?

Cait
08-05-2002, 06:12 PM
*laugh* Somehow I doubt that a heavy weight will stop her when it comes to wings. The last time she wore wings to a con (as in hall cosplay) they were such that she couldn't enter rooms normally or sit down in anyway, shape, or form. But she wore them all day regardless. The girl's a sucker for wings.

~Cait

Yukai
08-05-2002, 08:55 PM
I see my sister knows me all to well....

I'm thinking about putting the metal wings on hold until I finish my feather ones...that could be awhile....I am making these taller than me and the come out of my back an wrap around to the front of my body....more fun with feathers....the poor crows that have died for my cosplay...*~giggle~*

Neon Genocide
08-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by NeoDrifter
I guess so, but whatever that armor was, it cannot exist in modern day because it'd be pricy. Metal cannot do that only a certain alloy can deflect bullets like that

Actually the helmets used by the US army made of Kevlar can. Thatís probably what there armor was made of, some type of synthetic and or hardened plastic. Itís lighter and much more functional. :D

NeoDrifter
08-06-2002, 11:37 AM
I tried to buy one of those helmets, but $150.00. . . .not the kind of money I have

engrish
08-06-2002, 11:54 AM
metal =
very heavy
very expensive
very time consuming
very difficult to work with
very uncomfortable to wear

The cost of the metal might not burn a hole in your wallet but the cost of the equipment and tools required to work with it will. However it is possible. At Fanime this year I saw a Tri Gun cross made of sheet metal! I've seen pics on fansview of the spear of longinus from Eva also made of metal.

NeoDrifter
08-06-2002, 11:58 AM
hmm, it will cost money but I'm willing to do it, its like an investment.....the tools will come in handy for another costume that could use them

Kusanagi
08-06-2002, 01:08 PM
My advice: Take an automotive course and/or welding course in High School (if you'r still a student.)

That way you can work on your costume in your free time (if the teacher lets you ;) ) and you get the experience needed to use the tools.

Neon Genocide
08-06-2002, 01:51 PM
Or if youíre out of high school, most technical colleges have welding courses and or use their facilities for free.

NeoDrifter
08-06-2002, 01:57 PM
still in High School, and I was gonna take an automotive course so I can maintain my car when I get it, but the welding is another reason for me to take the course

Kendo_Bunny
08-07-2002, 09:11 PM
I'm considering sheet metal to make a Dilandau costume... But I'm not sure how well it would work. I want metal armor, considering I'm springing for red contacts, leather, silk, and a custom made white wig (trying my best not to cut corners)

Does anyone have any tips for making a medium amount of armor? (Shoulder paldrons, boot covers, shoulder spikes, and tips on the coat)

Neon Genocide
08-08-2002, 07:13 AM
a hell of a pain in the butt is what your askin for but if you look up weapons and armor for NERO there should be armor making tips using metal.

HuongStar
08-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Metal wings? You may want to ask this girl how she made her wings:

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~rei/weapon.html

Yukai
08-08-2002, 10:55 AM
>HuongStar,
Thanks so much! I will look into that. =^.^=

moo
08-08-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Ayaka
Next time you're at a con, chances are the big Jin-Roh group will be there. I believe they did it in thermoplastics. If you were nice, maybe they'd help you out.

The Jin-Roh group's webpage is http://www.hi-impact.org/

and here's pix of their Jin-Roh outfits http://192.122.209.42/~paladin/gallery/anime/anime-c.html

They usually hit the Bay Area cons and the big SoCal cons and were quite nice and helpful with costuming tips. They've also hosted panels on costume making at the cons. At one of the panels they said that they made their armor with vacuum-formed heated sheet plastic, painted to look like whatever material they're emulating.

Kusanagi
08-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Ahhh...the joys of using a plasma torch...

Neon Genocide
08-08-2002, 02:05 PM
thats an awsome link.. never throught of some of those idea. Damn those guns were almost real..... o_O

NeoDrifter
08-10-2002, 08:45 PM
OK I just learned to do vacuum forming, since I want to do this Jin-Roh costume not just for Conventions but for Paintball and Airsoft so I might as well do vacuum forming for now

DigitalCactus
09-07-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi I hate to bring this forum back from the dead but I have a few quick questions to ask.
Most of my costume will be fibreglass, except the boot tips, which I want to be metal, because I just cant get the right shape from the materials I have now. I used priority mail to make the base of my armour then fibreglass ontop of that.
The pieces are small and only need to be bent slightly. Any tips on what kind of tools I can use to cut the shape out with? Im guessing a hand held tool just wont cut it. (no pun intended XD)

ElfEater
09-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Well, Im not sure if you still need it.. but, when Sung went looking for sheet metal for the ddr pad, he came by these sites:
http://doityourself.com/store/6566434.htm
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=232&step=2
^_^ Also, check the door and window sections of Home Depot. They have better gauge metal, and might be able to special order some for you.

Rosiel
09-09-2002, 10:26 AM
> I can use to cut the shape out with? Im guessing a hand held tool just wont cut it. (no pun intended XD)

It will.

These (leg armor) (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=4319) and these (toe-tips and heels) (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=4323) were cut with a wire cutter and shaped by hand.

It's easy.

Just remember to file the edges well...

DigitalCactus
09-09-2002, 12:52 PM
woo hoo arigato

RainingWendy
05-08-2007, 12:14 AM
I haven't found anything that is what I want yet, I need it to be about 5ft high and 3ft or so wide and I want to try and keep them from being to heavy. I really need to stop with the wings though because I am tearing apart my feather wings and making a larger more elaborate pair. Thanks for the help though, I will see if I can check again sometime.

Wow 5ft!!! dang that is almost as tall as me...I would like also to know about that sheet metal thing there is this coles or something like that store here so I do not know if they sell stuff like that I would have to check.

metalskinz
04-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I've made a Z gundam head out of sheet metal. Email me if anyone wants details. In summary, it is a seriously difficult project, proceed only if you're nuts enough (or already is a sheet metal worker)...

http://www.cosplay.com/member/202448/

metalskinz at gmail dott com

Allisande
04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
One thing about sheet metal that no one has seemingly mentioned yet: For small pieces, a dremel tool is almost all you need. You can cut, file, polish, etc... But seriously, check the rules of the con first, because in the case of the metal wings or other such things other than armor, if the security is in a bad mood they might claim that it can take an edge and should be labeled under live steel and therefore forbidden.

lynchingacers
04-25-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm considering sheet metal to make a Dilandau costume... But I'm not sure how well it would work. I want metal armor, considering I'm springing for red contacts, leather, silk, and a custom made white wig (trying my best not to cut corners)

Does anyone have any tips for making a medium amount of armor? (Shoulder paldrons, boot covers, shoulder spikes, and tips on the coat)

spikes might be a bit of a bad idea and are hard to make you could always buy em but sharp stuff to wear could be really self damaging !!!

i made some before and even though they were somewhat simple they took forever even with all the tools i used an English wheel mainly because when you're done its not best to just roll one bend you want to stretch the center slightly like a bowl for some strength and not have it bend easily , look around for metal shaping info on the internet

hot rod had a good article this month to get you started

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_1005_basic_techniques_to_metal_shaping_from_h ome/index.html

i had made a chest plate Side/Back plates and shoulder paladins
this took me about 30 hours in the metals class with most of the right tools to do this

the simpler the parts the less time obviously

also material selection is a bit critical i used 14 Gauge Cold Rolled Steel ( you could try aluminum but you need to periodically need to Anneal it again as it work hardens , polishes well though)

----tools i wish i had ----
-Plastic Hammer And Sand bag are the best i didn't have one though
-plannishing hammer
- hammer and Dolley Set
the list of tools

-Anvil
-Ball Peen Hammer
-English Wheel
-Plasma cutter
-Sheet Metal Roller
-Drill and Bits
-AiR Die Grinder and grinding stones